Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Brugmansias in Autumn......promise of things to come.

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 219, Views: 1,492
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 1, 2012
10:40 PM

Post #9026636

Summer came and went in a very unseasonal way...so maybe we will have a proper Autumn...there are so many
young plants just waiting to show us how beautiful they are, but not getting the chance, because the buds are dropping. Hopefully we can get a few to open before the cold weather gets here.

We had some great discussions in the previous thread, so please continue in this one...

I'll start the ball rolling with the Pink Panther fasciation bud...
It's ribs are much more pronounced than a normal PP bud and it's a much bigger bud..
Let's hope we get to see the flower.

We came from here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1243283/

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 1, 2012
10:51 PM

Post #9026638

Here are today's pics of it.
With the very gusty winds that we have had the last 2 days, I thought that it would be best to give it some support, so I used a soft tie attached to a stake...
Notice the growth coming from the side, it isn't fasciated...I wonder if it will change.
The 2nd pic is of some normal PP buds around the same age...quite a difference...hey.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger
Click an image for an enlarged view.

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2012
3:24 AM

Post #9026685

this is one of the plants I'm assuming that is OA?
i have it labelled as candida 'Peach'
but i think it's a typical OA bloom
What's your take on it?????
The 1st flower is a currant bloom in this Cycle which has not colored up as yet
the 2nd blooms are from 2009

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

March 2, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9027658

Yeah that looks like mine, the common OA you find in the burbs.
I do wonder though if this may actually consist of a series a extremely similar clones, something I have been considering for all the suburbanites...

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

March 2, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9027666

Dianne I can't wait to see what that flower ends up doing that plant is just bizarre.

Also I found another brug garden in the burbs the other day, pretty standard range by our standards and nothing special to you girls/guy
i.e. aureas, sanguineas, Frosty Pink, Knightii, OA
but large and healthy anyway... most of the garden was brugs... now that's my kinda garden!!
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 2, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9027668

[quote="lucas13"]Yeah that looks like mine, the common OA you find in the burbs.
I do wonder though if this may actually consist of a series a extremely similar clones, something I have been considering for all the suburbanites...[/quote]

Interesting. Because so few people seemed to have been growing brugs from seed until recently, I would expect older plants to be almost certainly clones. (Variations in them might well be due to growing conditions.) Younger brugs, however, could be seed grown and this would make ID almost impossible.

Photo shows nubbies on the cutting of my monster seedling brug.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

March 2, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9027707

True, just I recall reading on older threads here some notes, one that OA seedlings are often similar and two that Knightii actually consists of several very similar clones (so strictly speaking cannot be a cultivar name or apply only to one? but in practical terms may be treated as the same), so I have been pondering that it might well be that there some seedlings mixed in the stock, but as you say most average gardeners just grow plants from cuttings, especially ones that take so easily like brugs. Suppose one could do some experiments crossing OA's etc. and aiming to see if viable seed can be produced...

Growing plants from cuttings for a very long time can accumulate viruses etc. so they get weaker with no new genes, so they can eventually be replaced by very similar seedling clones (selected for similar looks) which are healthier and more vigorous. Having said that original clones can persist for a remarkably long time... in Hybrid by Noel Kingsbury I read that sari lop figs grown from cuttings may be the same clone 2000 years old, and some seedless grape variety which may date back to ancient greece is still grown today in same region.

So I agree that in general most would be the old original clones... looking different in the differing climates/conditions...

So are all suburban pink suaveolens Frosty Pink? Has this been investigated? Similarly Is ours even the true American cultivar?

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 2, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9027719

Wow Lucas, I have never seen more than one type of Brug in any of the suburban gardens...
Couldn't you borrow a cup of sugar and start up a conversation...lol
I was very worried about the top of the fasciated one, because the top is just like a small table tennis bat and it was catching the wind...but the soft tie has supported it, so far.

Where's Gena?...how are your seedlings?

For anyone who is interested, here is a site that has details of Alistair's book..
http://www.hceis.com/book.asp?id=11408.
It will be available from Florilegium, 65 Derwent St, Glebe NSW 2037... $95 not confirmed...it isn't available yet though...probably April.
I dare say Lucas that our older Brugs might rate a mention...if their migration is discussed.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 2, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9027730

I'm not even going to attempt answering those questions, Lucas! However, that whole business of different 'clones' of knightii has been raised by Alistair and I still don't understand it. (My fault, not Alistair's.) I can say, though, that it does appear (from OA crosses that Alistair has made, plus from reports from Wayne, and from Chrissy's OA x BB seedling I've got) that OA does tend to produce first-gen seedlings that look very similar to OA itself and so could easily be mistaken for OA. I also remember Alistair saying how odd he thought this was, as this sort of characteristic is usually found in species, not in hybrids.

I'm just going to adopt my fallback position which is that, as more and more people breed brugs, it will become almost impossible to identify the parentage of a NOID (i.e. without trustworthy records) with any certainty.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

March 2, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9027735

Yes Dianne, even though they are all fairly commonly encountered brugmansias locally it's rather unusual to have them all concentrated in the one garden (and multiples of the same plant too) (...well maybe not at all unusual to us!), so evidently the owners/past owners were either keen on cuttings and had roamed the burbs and collected them or bought at nurseries... i'll try catch up with the residents.

The book preview looks good thanks for that, looking forward to it. :)

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

March 2, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9027745

[quote="cestrum_SEQ"]
...I'm just going to adopt my fallback position which is that, as more and more people breed brugs, it will become almost impossible to identify the parentage of a NOID (i.e. without trustworthy records) with any certainty.[/quote]
Now aint that the truth!! ;)
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 2, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9027755

[quote="lucas13"]

So are all suburban pink suaveolens Frosty Pink? Has this been investigated? Similarly Is ours even the true American cultivar?[/quote]

I don't think you could assert this for any brug cultivar, simply because so many are sold under wrong names. Whether a cutting of FP ever made it to Australia in the first place is another matter--some named cultivars did, certainly before quarantine restrictions were tightened. Alistair would know the answer to this.

Thanks for your link to the book, Dianne. I googled it and found that you lucky Melburnians have the option of attending the official book launch at the Melb Botanic Gardens on 31 May--your chance to meet Alistair himself! (Maybe even take a photo with him LOL Well, at least get him to sign a copy of the book, which you will of course buy :-)) Here's the link: http://www.rbg.vic.gov.au/rbg-melbourne/whats-on/whats-on/set-dates/friends-of-the-royal-botanic-gardens,-melbourne-inc./huanduj-brugmansia

This message was edited Mar 3, 2012 2:24 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 2, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9027765

Hey, notice that the cover photo on the RBG website (white brug) is different from the cover photo on the publisher's website (suaveolens sanguinea)?

This message was edited Mar 3, 2012 2:27 PM
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9027772

edited Sorry, out of context...don't mind me...

This message was edited Mar 4, 2012 12:07 AM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 2, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9027784

That monster cutting looks very anxious to grow, cestrum...

Reading your's and Lucas' comments re clones made me remember a rose that is in my garden...it's a large growing rose, a hybrid perpetual called Reine de Violettes...I have been propagating it by cuttings since 1989 when we sold the house that it was originally planted in, since then, we have moved
5 times...so the rose growing in my garden has been "cloned" 6 times...Now it has reverted or changed to a rose with many thorns, originally it was almost thorn free...so in not quite 25 yrs it has changed a lot...

Have our Brugs changed? I think that I read that Knightii was named after a Mr Knight a gardener in England...what did his look like...I hope Alistairs book covers subjects like that.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 2, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9027786

[quote="Seachanger"]That monster cutting looks very anxious to grow, cestrum...

[/quote]

Wretched thing won't do anything but grow--the seedling refuses to flower! Just wants to take over the garden LOL
Stupid question, but are you sure you haven't accidentally propagated your rose from a sucker from the rootstock?

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 2, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9027798

Yes it is cestrum, it changed overnight...Alistair said on BGI that the book is being printed in China right now, so they may have had second thought's re the cover...
Though in 2 days, I've seen 3 covers...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 2, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #9027802

Overnight? Wow, that's the stuff of urban legends! (Like someone's hair turning white overnight.) But if you saw it, then what can I say ...
Perhaps an advance copy of the cover was printed locally for PR, and then, as you say, changed before the final version was sent for printing in China. Wonder which one we'll end up with ... looking forward to buying it, that's for sure.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 2, 2012
9:03 PM

Post #9027804

Dianne, I think that you'll find to keep a rose "true" you have to take buds. I wish Brian was here and he would tell you the whole thing. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 2, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #9027805

Not stupid that question...I would have asked it myself...
But no, I always take a few cuttings to ensure it's survival and they were all normal branches, remember it was a cutting from a cutting...no root stock.
It has only happened in the last year, I noticed that the new growth had lots of thorns...I will have to take it out unfortunately.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 2, 2012
9:13 PM

Post #9027810

I liked the original cover, it had a lovely Sphaero deep deep pink all the way up the corolla...I'm certain that is was the #6 in the RBG pics...then the red and green, now the white...

I had a second look at the cover with the white flower...is that a pic or a painting? have a look

Might well be true, Colleen...I've never budded anything, have you?

This message was edited Mar 3, 2012 4:34 PM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 2, 2012
9:33 PM

Post #9027825

No Dianne I have never budded anything, but Brian did it all his life. He had one peach tree with about 4 different varieties on it. Nectarines with peaches and vice -versa He loved to bud things. Colleen
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 2, 2012
9:41 PM

Post #9027828

Shame to lose your rose after 25 years and all those house moves, Dianne. Perhaps you could ask the question in the rose forum?
That white brug does look like it might be a painting. Will be interesting to see what the final cover turns out to be. Are you planning on attending the book launch?

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 2, 2012
9:52 PM

Post #9027833

Nope, cestrum..I go to Melbourne as infrequently as possible...lol
I hope that Lucas or Shaun go though.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 2, 2012
11:26 PM

Post #9027855

Can't you tell it's raining and I'm bored...

Just been to BGI and Alistair posted this.
" Chinese ad used draft graphics which will actually be the title page, not the cover The front cover will be the wonderful Marianne North painting of suaveolens and humming birds in both editions."

It is a lovely painting.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

March 2, 2012
11:38 PM

Post #9027857

Wow...I'll try be there. :).

1800 Brugmansia cultivars?!... ridiculous lol.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 2, 2012
11:41 PM

Post #9027858

That explains it. But what is 'Huanduj' anyway--the Chinese word for brugmansia? If so, why would it appear on English editions?

I suppose this page has come up in the past, but if you scroll to the end it has instructions specifically for striking cuttings of arborea brugs (use side shoots from the trunk): http://ibrugs.com/Resources/RootingBrugmansia.aspx
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2012
11:49 PM

Post #9027859

Lucas and Cestrum,
I have about 7 or 8 different named plants all I'm assuming are OA, i have to 1st ID them correctly then collect pollen from them and then the crossing will begin,
I have no problems trying to brake this myth 1 way or another, i do hope that there are a few different OA Strains so that we can cross them back to each other and get some thing even more stronger and prolific with it's blooms or even deeper in color,
I also have about 5 Knightii which i am, willing to cross with each other also just to be on the safe side and not just throw them out cos they look the same, (Just yet)

with Alistairs Book im 1 that will buy the book a few times if it's written in English and german and if there is 2-3 covers i could be interested in buying them also just to have a collection of them with different images
Just like Brugmansia & Datura i have both English hard cover & English Soft cover
was i disappointed when i got the German one first NO i just had to learn a few words in German to get throu then here comes the English Version WOWWWWW...

Thanks for helping me out with the OA bloom
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2012
11:51 PM

Post #9027860

I will be going to the book Launch
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 2, 2012
11:55 PM

Post #9027862

You're an author's dream, Shaun LOL (Or, according to Google Translate, Sie sind Autor der Traum!)
My main concern with identifying similar-looking brugs is simply to ensure that I don't inadvertently have clones of the same cultivar. (Inadvertently being the key word here, as I have several clones of certain brugs which I have struck from cuttings myself simply because I wanted more or, in the earlier years, couldn't bear to throw out the prunings). But the results of your cross-pollination experiments will be interesting to watch, whatever they produce.

This message was edited Mar 3, 2012 6:01 PM

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

March 3, 2012
12:05 AM

Post #9027863

[quote="cestrum_SEQ"]That explains it. But what is 'Huanduj' anyway--the Chinese word for brugmansia? If so, why would it appear on English editions?[/quote]
I assume it would be an indigenous Sth American Indian name for Brugmansia...

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

March 3, 2012
12:10 AM

Post #9027865

Thanks for the arborea link but i posted that before, interestingly it does not seem to be critical as I have rooted cutting from above the Y...
That said with most plants cuttings lower down a stem often root better, something to do with different cells, better still are branches touching the ground...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 3, 2012
12:19 AM

Post #9027868

Yes, I thought that link might have appeared before. But, you know what they say, those of us who ignore--or in this case, forget--history are destined to repeat it ;-) In Australia, time of year (i.e. cooler weather) might be a more critical factor in rooting arboreas.

South American seems right, Lucas--my mind is still on China. Best I could find is this song: http://andes-fieldschool.org/Andes_and_Amazon_Field_School/Song_to_Wanduj.html

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

March 3, 2012
12:28 AM

Post #9027870

That is one beautiful ...insignis?
I love the tendrils.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Brugmansia_insignis_Ecuador.jpg
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2012
12:52 AM

Post #9027872

Cestrum i have obtained these over the past 20years and have probably like you not wanted to cull
so i will systamaticly cull my old collection as need be but i do need 1 type specimen from the group to keep any way just crossing to cull really.

this is the 1st year that i have crossed as many blooms as i have because of you, chrissy, Jean, Lucas, Wayne & Alistair,
i would probably have just kept collecting garden Brugmansia from people if not for all of you
So now i will be trying many things that i would other wise not have thought of prier to BGI, DG & Ibrug

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 3, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9028799

You've pretty much described the experience of all of us here, Shaun. Once, I would have killed for a double brug. Now, with so many seedlings coming on, when I had the chance to buy a double a couple of years ago at a local garden festival, I didn't want to--I'd rather grow my own LOL

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 3, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9028809

greetings from the Black Lagoon ...yep ok a slight exaggeration, er the swamp.
Such a sorry mess out there, found snails in the Brug blooms trying to save themselves I guess, ants too, all sorts of bugs and grubs, spiders huge fat things from their feasting.
Those Big Floppy apricot blooms look so nice.
Yep me too, I would rather make my own doubles or enjoy trying to.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 3, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9028958

Ivoire has gone outside to brave it out with the big kids ...so long as the hail stays away (I had to put it out there because the leaves are so eager to grow), I am thinking of a few tons of Kitty Litter to soak the water up ^_^
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 3, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9029012

Good to hear that you're still afloat, Chrissy! Hopefully no hail. A bit more rain over the next few days for your area, I think, and then hopefully some autumn sunshine at last (fingers crossed). Sun and a bit of a drying wind is what you need ...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 3, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #9029023

My brugs are all standing up after the wind ripped the leaves to pieces. Lots of new growth seems to have popped out overnight with the rain.
Maybe this time a new lot of buds will come and stay on.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 3, 2012
9:48 PM

Post #9029035

Ivoire will be bigger than the big kids in no time flat, Chrissy...
I have a pod on mine...I think that he got friendly with Topsy, they are side by side...not certain of course...
Hope your swamp dries out quickly...

Same here Jean,
Just about all the tall Brugs have been shredded by the winds over the last 3 days...I have never seen them in such a state...
Poor Topsy was flushing and now all I have are 2 big seed pods wearing stockings, hanging in the middle of a practically bald tree...not a pretty sight.
The growth at the base of the pic are all the 1 yr olds in their pots, they weren't affected.
A lot of the, ready to flower for the first timers, have had the Y's broken off, so it will be a bit longer for them.

Thank goodness the fasciated PP is ok, it's leaves are a mess, but the buds have held on...I really want to see even one flower...
Little, low growing Buck's Fizz is sitting snug in the middle, with barely one leaf damaged and full of buds.
Trials and tribulations of a besotted Brugmansia grower.

This message was edited Mar 4, 2012 4:51 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 4, 2012
3:23 AM

Post #9029091

Oh your poor babies ! yes mine too and mushy ! :(

Shocking weather, one way or another it's just been an awful time last year and still carrying on this year. Luckily they recover fairly well but losing buds is always a sad thing, most of mine are soggy messes right now. I am greatly concerned for the cool weather coming , if this constant rain continues I don't know what will happen. I can't go down the back at all right now, too wet and overgrown. What a mess. Oh well, the things we do for the love of the Brug.

The things we do for Brugs (oops I mean love :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SASnF0S6NpE

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 4, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9029792

Trying to get around the bog today ...before the rain comes back, this arvo.

chrissy
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 4, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9029811

Here's the pic of Suavelons X Aztec Gold. It is a lot thicker flower than AG. Not as floppy. Lovely colour and perfume though. Dianne "Ivoire" likes it here too. The buds in the background are from an Aurea. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9029812

in my garden there is not much happening but many plants in bud so im waiting on the blooms to come throu,

it's been a bit cold and wet but im sure not as wet as your's chrissy,
Hope the weather changes for you soon before you rip your hair out
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 4, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9029834

Raining here too, but good gentle rain so no complaints. And warm and humid, of course--still waiting for autumn's low humidity to begin.
Colleen, that would be one of the many seeds I sent to Brian in the winter of 2009, I assume?
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 4, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9029846

Yes Cestrum. July 2009 it was planted. He has the date on the tag. Colleen
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 4, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9029863

I've checked my records--sometimes woefully inadequate, usually when I scribble things onto bits of paper and then never get around to transcribing them--but I've recorded this:

Posted to Brian on 29 June 2009 (temps that day: 5–21ºC): about 30 seeds each of Brugmansia suaveolens ‘Aztec Gold’ and B. aurea ‘Golden Butter’

So while I was looking, I searched for Brian's name and found I'd also sent the following:

11 May 2009 (7–24ºC): seeds from 3 pods: (a) one aurea Golden butter, seeds dark brown and fully mature; (b) another from the GB, seeds virtually white, almost certainly immature; (c) versicolor apricot, seeds white/brown, semi-mature, should be OK if planted immediately. The 'versicolor apricot' has since been confirmed as Old Apricot.

6 July 2009 (1–20ºC): about 30 seeds (from 2 seedpods, one of which had split open) from Brugmansia aurea Golden Butter.

24 Aug 2009 (11–36ºC Hottest Aug. day on record (and the following night’s min. was 21º): • Aztec Gold, medium pod, harvested 23 Aug • Versicolor apricot, harvested 21 Aug • Suaveolens white, harvested 23 Aug.

I think Brian must have pleaded for me to stop sending any more seeds after that LOL

I remember you saying that Brian didn't plant all the seeds received, but I'm surprised that you haven't had at least one Golden Butter seedling by now. A shame, because GB seedlings so far have been pretty.

This message was edited Mar 5, 2012 10:01 AM
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9029887

i have also been harvesting seed pods from my babies.
if any 1 is interested in a few seed please contact me via d mail.
i have
Pod parent 'White Ruff':
X.'Dwarf Pink & Green' pod 1,2,3
X.'DRC' pod 1, 2
X.'Dr Seuss' pod 1
X.'Zabaglione' pod1
X.'Aztec Gold' pod 1,2

Pod:: Aztec Gold' X.suaveolens(1021) pod1
Pod:: suaveolens(1021) X.'Aztec Gold' pod1
Pod:: 'Dwarf Pink & Green' X.aurea(form) pod1,2
Pod:: (White x.Pink) X.suaveolens(1022) pod1

I still have about 30-40 pods to harvest this coming season and am doing a few other crosses such as OAx.EP& FP & Knightii, aurea(form)x.EP& OA & 'Knightii', FPx.EP & OA,
so i should be quite bizzy trying to make them take
Cestrum is there any advice i should know about Knightii & OA to make them take easier, im reading that cutting the style with a clean pollen blade will also help but this i have not done as yet ill try some thin like that in spring with EP as it's style is quite long compared to all other varieties that i have
Hope the rain dose not come down to hard for you also Cest! light rain is great and it can be quite penetrating to the soils

Dianne is that a typical cross for suaveolens x.'Aztec Gold'?????? just looks like 'Aztec Gold' to me but looks more pale in color
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 4, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9029915

That dwarf pink cross sounds intriguing, Shaun, but alas ... no space or time.

Dunno about cutting the style but the most NB factor here seems to be temperature: too hot and cross-pollination will fail. Mild weather is perfect of course, but cooler weather--so long as there's no actual frost damage--doesn't seem to be a problem, while heat is a definite pollination killer. With knightii, I find I don't have to wait until the flowers fully mature but can successfully pollinate them while they're still cream coloured--if the flower has matured enough for me to reach the style by slitting the skirt down the side, then the flower can be pollinated. This assumes that knightii will be the pod parent--I've had almost no success in using knightii as a pollen donor because (1) it just doesn't seem to make much pollen and (2) I can't seem to find the bloom just when the pollen it does have is fluffy.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

March 4, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9029957

I have have some seed harvested today, dmail me
(suaveolens x Knightii) x Frosty Pink
Old Apricot x aurea Yellow/Orange

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 4, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9029973

Back again ...sigh,
mozzies everywhere, starving grasshoppers and small snails up in the brug tops :( ...still couldn't get down the back area, managed to squelch through the cottage garden area,more buds coming , more buds dropping.

They sound like great crosses Shaun,but I can't commit to anything else right now, as specially with the weather situation, I am going to have a battle looking after what I have already ...thank goodness for washed river sand, the only upside is, some pods on Butter Bomb x Twilight Time seem to be growing (done on impulse in a cooler morning just before the rain). I won't get too excited because we had a steamy day after that. That is the hard part, watching for those pods to grow for months just waiting to see if the corks are empty or not. Last lot of pods had something eating through them ...grrr.
Why don't you dry them and save them until Spring planting and offer them again after we see what the weather is like ?

I agree with cestrum in that advice ...as a general rule cross when cool and before the bloom opens (slit it up the side).
We all dust our heads off to begin with, but we get over that once you have hundreds of seeds :)

Colleen that is a real surprise, I would have thought a white from that cross for sure. Is it the first day ?
chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 4, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9029990

No can do, Shaun. In fact, I have seeds to give away myself, the most recent (dried and ready to post) being:
(Pink Smitty x Dorthea) x (Peanut x Ruffles and Flourishes).
What are the odds that this will produce pinks :-) Then again, you never know ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 4, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9029995

Empty corks are heartbreaking when you've been eagerly anticipating a particular cross, watching the pod for months, only to have your hopes dashed when you harvest the pod! Much better to have the flower drop off soon after attempted pollination ...
Funny thing is, some brugs you can't harvest early because they don't drop their style until the bloom is well and truly mature, eg Pink Sweetie and the suaveolens types.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 4, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9030002

Wow well done cestrum, that's the way ...here come the Aussie doubles !
Not easy crossing the doubles in some so I think that is terrific. ^_^

I will try crossing Heart of Gold with TT and FFA if I manage any mid Autumn flushes, should get some nice whites out of that.
I want a white TT that is what I am aiming for, then I can quit ^_^ and leave it all to you lot ^_^

See the pic ...this was TT in the night rain and this is what I want but in pristine white. (the bottom one)

Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 4, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9030006

Very pretty, Chrissy, but this:
[quote="chrissy100"]
I want a white TT that is what I am aiming for, then I can quit ^_^ and leave it all to you lot ^_^
[/quote]

made me laugh!
PS Double? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe all singles, or perhaps one double in a batch of dozen. Won't know until they're sown, grown and bloomed :-)

This message was edited Mar 5, 2012 11:50 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 4, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9030019

It's how I feel in this weather, it gives me the blahs (giggle).
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9030109

[quote="cestrum_SEQ"]
-I've had almost no success in using knightii as a pollen donor because (1) it just doesn't seem to make much pollen and (2) I can't seem to find the bloom just when the pollen it does have is fluffy.[/quote]

cestrum i have has mild sucess with Knightii being a pollen parent with 2 crosses but i go down the road to that big Knightii tree and sit there for about 1 hour when the flowers are in bloom to collect as many anthers as i can to get as little pollen as the plant will allow i have 1/2 a vial of Knightii pollen now so i can cross many times with it

1::::QUESTION???????????????????
i have 3 seed pods that had fungal spores on it when i took it of the plant peeled it and put it in a bowl to dry out, in a day or 2 the seeds also produced fungal spores
what do i do,??????

i have sprayed them with Isopropyl alcohol and put them on a paper towl to then dry off again, if it reacurs what do i do???????
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 4, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9030120

Not sure about that, Shaun. Maybe best wait to see whether the problem recurs? And soak the kernels in water with a few drops of hydrogen peroxide for an hour or so before sowing, as an added precaution?
PS Better be careful someone doesn't report you as a suspected burglar as you wait under that huge knightii LOL
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 4, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9030148

cestrum, I would like to try those seeds please. I love the pink on those crosses.
Your last lot are sprouting so I can move them out of the mini g/house now.
Looks empty in the large greenhouse as all the kindy kids & teenagers are now down the back in the shadehouse.
More showers here but hubby says warm during the week. I am still hoping for a flush of buds so I can get pollinating like the rest of you.
Jean.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

March 4, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9030157

It probably doesn't help but I have found on several occasions that seed esp sanguinea sometimes has a fungus on the outside, but if you sow it immediately they may still germinate fine, as it has not destroyed the embryo and it's actually only on the outside...
Jean how are the sanguinea babies going? I suppose they would be liking the relief from the heat??

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 4, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9030159

You need to wash your seeds after harvesting them, and then you must lay them out on kitchen paper apart from each other for at least two or three days, drying them in a bowl is not a good idea. Even clean newspaper will do at a pinch. This is for storing purposes.

In the past I have received seeds that were grey (easily done in humid conditions) I also recommend paper envelopes instead of plastic, just in case there is a bit of moisture still hidden in the corks.

A soak in the solution as cestrum says may help if the fungus has not done too much damage.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 4, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9030160

I agree with lucas re Brug seeds to be sown straight away,
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9030165

it has only been over night that i had noticed this problem used Isopropyl alcohol spray seperating all the seeds and spraying them all over then on to a paper towl to dry off i put them on a window ledge so that the light can help destroy the spores

i don't really wanna sow them yet, I would proffer to store them till spring where i know ill get a better germination rate, but i may sow 10 seed of each to protect the cross that i have created

Thanks guys

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 4, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9030166

Jean you have had quite a bit of dry heat so your Brugs are probably waiting for some comfortable mild warm days and cooler nights to give of their beautiful blooms.
I am excited for you, what weather predictions do you have coming up ?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 4, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9030168

Good idea Shaun, just make sure they are well and truly dry (the ones you wish to store) and store them in paper envelopes.
You can soak them in Spring before you plant as cestrum said.
good luck ^_^
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 4, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9030174

Lucas, the sangs are loving the respite from the heat, although I am surprised at how well they coped. They are all down in the back shadehouse which is sheltered from a lot of the hot north winds.
Theya re all around 20"- 30 " tall. I have lost 3 . They just curled over and died.
Maybe I watered them too much but they do get pretty limp in the heat. I have 3 outside in the open which are also doing well.
The little sucker is growing well after a slow start. as is the cutting.
I still have seeds so will plant more maybe in a few weeks and see how they do.

All the other coldies are coping with the heat and should grow like mad as the weather cools .
I think all my warmies have put out leaves overnight after the rain. I had a couple of bald sticks which now have a leafy wig.
Chrissy, hubby says more heat during the week but not as bad as we had. It should ease into lovely Autumn weather now.
I hope so.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 4, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9030181

Yes, it probably is a good idea to sow asap (at least some of) any seeds whose viability is threatened for whatever reason.

Does anyone intend to plant my brug seeds now? If you don't intend to plant until spring, then I should probably just send the seeds out then. BTW, I keep my seeds in sealed plastic bags because of the cockroaches (I rarely see them inside the house but I KNOW they're there, ugh), but they're thoroughly dried before being stored. Haven't had any problems yet ...

This message was edited Mar 5, 2012 2:09 PM
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 4, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9030194

Cestrum, I will take seeds now please. Not too many though thanks. I sow my seeds anytime down here. In the cold weather they do take longer to come up but then so do some in the warm weather. I have a few of the ones that you sent before up. Thanks Cestrum. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 4, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9030198

Anytime now, thanks cestrum.
Jean
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 4, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9030206

Eager beavers! Will post sometime within the week for you two ...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 4, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9030229

Now I've heard everything, Chrissy is going to stop once she has her holy grail, the white one.

Get out of the house, Chrissy...doesn't matter if the ground squelches...you need to be amongst your babies.

Lots of seeds out there at the moment...I just planted the remainder of the ones that I purchased from Hurstwood (Alan)...
Lots of lovely cvs in the crosses...Rosa Lila, H.Bryony, H.Bow, H.Hannah, Mystic Fire, Mystic Ice, Violet Velvet, they are all so pretty...
My Sanguinea is starting to bunch up at the top and showing signs of a Y...so it won't be long.

Yesterday Topsy was in tatters, today he had 3 perfect flowers amongst the damaged ones, so I got to work and removed all the damaged bits and he looks great again, if a little thinner.

With so many leaves gone I can look thru and see all the PP pods, they are everywhere.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 4, 2012
9:39 PM

Post #9030236

PP is one very fertile little Brug and carries both colours, good for you Dianne ^_^

It will be exciting to watch the coldies, but my heart truly belongs to the warm Angels, because of the perfume.
I may try the coldies one day, but I want to see your results first, mind you I am not in your climate, it's usually stinking hot here in Summer. Well except for the last three years.

Edited to say that we have had Sun all day ! can't believe it, storm tonight though. Poor Brugs don't know if they are Arthur or Martha lol.

This message was edited Mar 5, 2012 4:43 PM
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2012
10:58 PM

Post #9030263

in the last week i have just gone on Ebay and bought a fridge from my seed storage as Gil is getting pe'vd of with all my Brug Seed in the crisper.
i have over 2000 varieties of seed that i used to collect and over 35 genera of Solanaceae to be put in the fridge
it's a great way of controlling the temp for the seeds which i think is about 4c
already stocked up
crisper 1 Pollen
Crisper 2 Donated Pollen
Bottom shelf Brugmansia, Nicotiana & Solanum
2nd shelf Solanaceae Botanical & CV
3rd shelf Poppies, CV
4th shelf Botanicals A-Z Families
top shelf drinks hahahahaha

Thumbnail by SolMan

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

March 4, 2012
11:25 PM

Post #9030279

Shaun, looks pro, soon you will have a botanical garden :)

Site about Iochroma species/cultivar info:

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~drc/iochroma_species_and_cultivars.htm#Species

Study on Iochroma genetics:

http://www.amjbot.org/content/93/8/1140.full

Image from above:

http://www.amjbot.org/content/93/8/1140/F3.large.jpg

This message was edited Mar 4, 2012 11:27 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 4, 2012
11:49 PM

Post #9030283

Shaun, you certainly don't do things by halves...
Good idea though...I have Tulip bulbs in with the Brug seeds in my crisper...

Bit heavy for me, Lucas...can't remember things now...but I love the last image, it certainly makes it easy...thanks

I am very pleased to announce that my very first fertile pod has just ripened...
Last year I had one OA pod, waited 9 mnths and it was infertile...
This year, a Buck's Fizz x Pink Panther has taken about 5 mnths and it's FERTILE..
I have just washed the seeds and have set them aside to dry,
I would imagine that BF x PP has been crossed a zillion times but just in case anyone wants some
DMail me.

This message was edited Mar 5, 2012 7:05 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 5, 2012
12:08 AM

Post #9030286

Congratulations Dianne ^_^ you are now a Hybridizer ^_^

Lucas I love that last one and have borrowed that link, thanks.

Shaun, do you drink a lot of coke or coffee ^_^ ???? I haven't ever put seeds in the fridge (but mine are tropical) they last at least a year with very good fertility as I explained, in a box, in a cupboard. I can see why you may want to keep the cold ones there and pollens of course. I will eagerly follow your fridge adventures, just watch out for any moisture problems from both wet or dehydration. Have fun ...it will be a good Winter project for you. Edited to say, I thought pollen had to be frozen, and thawed just before pollinating takes place ?,must check on that one.

chrissy

This message was edited Mar 5, 2012 7:10 PM
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2012
12:10 AM

Post #9030287

lucas the Iochroma pictoral is amazing and to see all the blooms on 1 page is Gob Smacking
Love it and keeping it put aside thats a great link

Dianne that is so Great that your 1st seed pod for the year has ripened and the seed is fertile

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 5, 2012
12:13 AM

Post #9030289

Yep the freezer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4tsJwjppsA

this tells you what to do.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2012
12:31 AM

Post #9030291

Chrissy I'm reading that you can also keep pollen in the fridge if it's in an air tight container or vial which i have,
I have also read that if you put you pollen in the freezer and there is a bit of moisture with in the pollen, water expansion can rupture the pollen cell walls and kill it.
i have used the fridge for the past 5 months and still have success with my crosses
I dont know about long term but for short term this seems better then freezing it

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 5, 2012
1:01 AM

Post #9030296

You do whatever works for you, I don't have experience with this, only once, and my hubby took it out and left it on the bench, so it was the first and last time for me. ^_^
This video is the one they show us on the BGI site, so I thought it may be helpful. I note they dry the pollen for 3 days to ensure the moisture is gone. A fair bit of messing around, we probably don't need to worry about because our seasons are kinder.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2012
1:15 AM

Post #9030300

i dry my pollen out for about a week and in a sealed container with silica this also insures that the pollen is dry
Thanks chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 5, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9031038

Great info for us all to absorb.
Shaun, I use the silica gel too. I have sealed container and leave the pollen vials in there at least 4-5 days then keep the vials in snaplock plastic bags in the freezer. I take out for a few hours or overnight before using.
So far, I have had no success as all the darn things fell off in the heat. I am going to try more this morning as its quite cool. I have flowers on GHA so will slice them before they open fully.
The only pods I have had were the ones I pollinated 2 years ago with fresh pollen straight from flower to flower.

Lucas , thats a great Iochroma chart. Mine are doing well with absolutely no care at all from me. They did lose some leaves in the heat but are flowering and putting out lots of new growth. I cut the tall I. cyanea last year and it sup to around 9 'again, Looks like a further haircut.
Dianne, they do very well with being cut back so dont be afraid to chop yours when it takes over the yard.

Jean
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 5, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9031107

That's dedication all right, Shaun :-)

Dianne, your BF x PP cross sounds intriguing ... alas, I can't take on more. But you wanted BF crosses didn't you, so this is the first of your planned BF breeding program.

I've done some research into my (PS x D) x (P x R&F) cross. Although the pod parent is a single, it has double genes from PS, and the pollen donor has double genes from Peanut and is of course a double itself--both PS and P have genes from Kleine Lady, the double white (= Tiara x unknown). So there is a good chance of some doubles among the seedlings, one would think. Given that PS = Kleine Lady x Rubiline , and D = Rubiline seedling x Rubiline seedling, and P = Kleine Lady x Rubiline seedling--where Rubiline = Ecuador Pink x Rothkirch--and R&F = Ecuador Pink x Rothkirch (i.e. Rubiline group), then the chances of getting pink seedlings seems to be overwhelming. So you would think, anyway. We'll find out in about two years or so :-)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 5, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9031464

After wading through wet, waist high grass and mud ...I was rewarded (I think) by the sight of PP laden with pods ! I only crossed a couple so where did the others come from ?
What a flirty little minx is this Brug. The pods are also quite huge so perhaps duds, we will wait and see.
I did a couple of straight crosses twixt Heart of Gold x Twilight Time and visa versa, fingers crossed,
remember if the bees have been out anything can happen, I look for fluffy in tact pollen (no sign of insect activity) and apply the pollen sticks themselves straight onto the wet patch of an unopened bloom, then close the bloom. I take the daddy bloom open it up,then apply the pollen sticks to the mummy.
Taking a little risk in this strange weather but, what the heck, we do know there is more rain coming so, I may not get the chance again.
cestrum, I am too tired to try to figure that info out right now, I will come back after my shower.
Hubby caught me watering in the blood and bone and thinks I have lost the plot ^_^ ...he could be right !
"why are you watering in all this wet " ...
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 5, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9031588

Bruce's Pink is out in full colour today. What a lovely flower. It's hugh about 16" long and a deeper pink than the pic. Quite lovely. The other pic is of Suavelons X AG and has stayed very yellow Chrissy. The rain played havoc with it though. I think I will call it "Stake's Gold" What does everyone think? Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 5, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9031716

Nice pictures Colleen, very interesting to know a Suaveolens can be yellow like that and yes a nice name if it is good enough. :)
We were always told white S, dominates.

...some sun today :) so far anyway.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2012
10:02 PM

Post #9031720

Cestrum you have put a load of working to braking down the parents to your babe cross
i hope for your sake that it come the way you want.
Colleen those flowers are very nice indeed and i do like the gold in the s x.AG
dose it stay that bright gold color????and what about the fragrance ??????
Love the name SG thumbs up!!!!!
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 5, 2012
10:09 PM

Post #9031721

That Suaveolens x AG cross has produced an interesting seedling. Perhaps it's yellow because my white suaveolens is a hybrid anyway, so is possibly carrying some coloured genes? I remember having so many suaveolens seeds that I stopped making any crosses with that brug altogether--typically one seedpod would yield 100+ tiny seeds.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 5, 2012
10:18 PM

Post #9031726

[quote="DeadlyNight"]Cestrum you have put a load of working to braking down the parents to your babe cross
[/quote]
Looks harder than it was, Shaun: the upshot is that there are doubles via the double-white Kleine Lady on both sides, and pink genes from Rubiline/Ecuador pink x Rothkirch on both sides too. I don't have any particular expectations, other than I hope that I like the seedlings :-) Interestingly, Rothkirch is a pink aurea discovered in Colombia--an added bonus, as I do like pink aureas :-)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 5, 2012
10:50 PM

Post #9031735

cestrum it never crossed my mind that your suaveolens was a cross, that would probably explain it ! how interesting, mine came from the Botanical gardens and is the species, I just assumed they all were, that's because we didn't know there were gardeners out there making these S., crosses, I wonder what it holds ? probably Aurea, else where did the yellow come from.
Gotta love these Brugs ^_^

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

March 5, 2012
11:02 PM

Post #9031742

Yes I should have prefaced that study, it is rather heavy on the technicals. but the chart is nice, we have so few of them here that I have seen, I had no idea there were so many Iochroma species.

The suaveolens is a species not a cultivar, I assume there are multiple original clones and seedlings of them going around. Maybe your hybrid is of different clones of suaveolens? some may be crossed with other brugs in parentage somewhere though, so perhaps the colour comes through eventually. In the hybrids the suaveolens traits seem to be dominant...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 5, 2012
11:09 PM

Post #9031745

The Earth Angel x Pink Smitty crosses are favourites of mine and both have Rothkirch in their blood, Rothkirch itself is said to be touchy and I do find that the Brugs with a lot of Rothkirch in them (meaning my E A x P S) die right back in Winter, but come back in mid Spring. I love the warm pink it produces. They age to a rich Raspberry under certain conditions.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 5, 2012
11:14 PM

Post #9031746

[quote="chrissy100"]cestrum it never crossed my mind that your suaveolens was a cross, that would probably explain it [/quote]

But the idea came from you, Chrissy! I remember you saying that it looked like a hybrid because of its longer tendrils compared with your suaveolens, which you knew was a pure (or almost pure) suaveolens. So from then I assumed that it was a hybrid--ie a white suaveolens crossed with some other brug. (Not by me, so the other brug could have been anything, not limited to what I have/had in my garden.) Wouldn't call it a 'clone' in that case, as it has been bred out with something else. Is it not correct to then call it a hybrid? As for the yellow, that could have come from Aztec Gold I imagine ...

Also, it may not be a first-generation cross, which I think is what Lucas was alluding to?

This message was edited Mar 6, 2012 5:21 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 5, 2012
11:23 PM

Post #9031749

My memory has gone since the drama with my brother, I do remember now you remind me ...well if that be the case there is some nice strong yellow hiding in there ! very cool !

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 5, 2012
11:26 PM

Post #9031751

Perhaps Aztec Gold in the parent bred back to Aztec Gold ...that would work :) ...probably where the resemblance to AG comes from. Excellent !

edited to say
Colleen you should cross that with another good yellow ...looks like strong yellow genes in that seedling.

This message was edited Mar 6, 2012 6:32 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 5, 2012
11:33 PM

Post #9031754

Anything's possible! While it wasn't bred by me, there would have been far fewer varieties of brugs to cross it with then. And Aztec Gold was not that uncommon ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 5, 2012
11:39 PM

Post #9031755

A great find IMO, sorry I didn't remember, probably dismissed it in my head because I thought all Suaveolens would only produce white. After all an expert told us this. ^_^

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

March 5, 2012
11:53 PM

Post #9031757

Any plant is a clone. Each and every seedling.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 6, 2012
12:17 AM

Post #9031764

[quote="cestrum_SEQ"]That Suaveolens x AG cross has produced an interesting seedling. Perhaps it's yellow because my white suaveolens is a hybrid anyway, so is possibly carrying some coloured genes? [/quote]

Sounds logical to me, who knows about any of the Suaveolens in public gardens either...unless it was given a positive ID by an expert...Shaun has found ID errors in the Melbourne Bot Gardens...Is mine the real thing? according to the gardens it is...can they be sure, they aren't Brugmansia experts...it's probably a cutting from the one in the RMBG.

Colleen, if your yellow is a good one then I am sure Brian would be very pleased...Bruce's Pink is very pretty in flower and yes, it is a big one.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 6, 2012
12:22 AM

Post #9031766

Mine was confirmed as Species by Alistair. I do agree there is still a lot of misinformation even now, hopefully all will be revealed in Alistair's new book.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 6, 2012
12:30 AM

Post #9031767

I have another flower of SG nearly out so hopefully something else will be in flower at the same time. The Clementine I crossed with Bruce's Pink this morning. Don't know if I'm a bit late with the Clementine flower. We'll see. I have some of Shaun's yellow Auireas nearly out too so will cross with that if I can. What do I actually write on the tag. At the moment it says.B. Suavelons X Aztec Gold 6/7/2009 and now I have put another tag saying "Stake's Gold" Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 6, 2012
12:33 AM

Post #9031768

Just remember to keep the cross written down besides the new name. :) hybridized by cestrum ,seedling parent your name because you grew it to bloom.
Good luck with the crosses.

This message was edited Mar 6, 2012 7:36 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 6, 2012
1:14 AM

Post #9031773

The fasciated PP has started to sprout from all areas and the growth appears to be normal.
I don't know where the top of it is now, because it seems to have divided itself within the tangle in the centre.There is one section which seems to be going up and the other is still going around and around.

Shaun, you said that you had a plant that was fasciated (not a Brug) and you said that it lasted about a year, did you mean the plant or the fasciation?

The buds are still growing so we might see a flower from one of those fat buds.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2012
1:31 AM

Post #9031777

the Fasciation is stunning by the way, it was the fasciation that lasted about 12 months on the Solanum and then there was a area that looked Bizarre with many shoots from it, i just decided to cut it back after that finished as it was fascinating to watch what was happening

Colleen with the new name of a plant you should have a database with all your plants and seedlings in this way you don't get any lost info

i have just started to add a few more details in to mine thanks to Cestrum like temp when sending seeds & plants

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 6, 2012
1:58 AM

Post #9031781

It looks amazing Dianne ...if you can look through the bud into the light you may be able to see the progress of the bloom ie how close to the opening end of the bud. I would even resort to a strong torch ^_^ to see the silhouette of the bloom.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9032462

i know that it's very common but here is the first of all my OA
very beautiful if i may so so
Love the color

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 6, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9032550

Old Apricot is a beautiful Brug, I am having trouble viewing the calyx, it looks too long in the picture, or is it an illusion because of the one behind ?
I am afraid we are a little spoiled. Fancy calling that beautiful thing common, but we do. Aren't we lucky.
Been out crossing stuff because it was cool, but then blow me down out comes the sun, and the wind is starting up, oh well. I am hoping for a few double whites out of them, luckily they seem to be in constant blooms but it sure is upsetting to mutilate the darlings in order to make babies.
I got the shock of my life to see Twilight Time blooming on this 9 ft shoot that shot up at the back of the tree, not only that but the bloom seems even bigger than the original ones. I was thinking it was something else until it flowered.

Dianne Ivoire didn't even blink out there, in fact I think it has grown an inch overnight, I can tell already that it is a very vigorous Brug.

Fernando has more tiny buds again, I hope they hold on through the coming storm, this is the 3rd or 4th lot, if I remember correctly ...not sure if it likes more warmth or wants Autumn temps, guess I will just have to wait and see, the suspense is killing me. ^_^ .
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 6, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9032571

Saw on Vasili's garden (no idea how old it was) a courtyard garden in Melbourne that had one brugmansia. Surprisingly, it wasn't Old Apricot or knightii, although it looked sort of apricot in colour (hard to tell, different shades in different light) but the flowers were more rigid, more waxlike, although the flower was about the size of Old Apricot. The gardener described it as having the strongest smell at night, gardenia and other 'tropical' smells that he couldn't identify. I'm wondering if it's an aurea cross? I'll never know, of course LOL

Shaun, I record my diary entries in a two-column table in Word. (I record the temp for each entry.) It's not as organised as having it in a spreadsheet, but I like the simplicity and I can still search the entire document (now 300 pages) quite readily. Originally I included some photos but have ended up removing them because they made navigating the document (including searching) noticeably slower. So now it's just text. It's a pretty good system--when I remember to record in it. (There's an exercise book somewhere in the house that is filled with entries for a good part of one year that I have been meaning to transcribe, and myriad pieces of paper that have been lost over the years before I got around to transcribing into the Word document.)

I did print out each page of the document as I completed it, but stopped a few years ago. (The reason escapes me now.) The file gets backed up daily to a removable hard disk, and every time I write something in it, I save the document under a name with a consecutive number (filename2012-01, filename2012-02, filename2012-03, etc). When the new year arrives, it restarts at filename2013-01. This helps guard against file corruption. Still, it doesn't feel as secure as printing out every page and storing it in a folder. I used to do this, but it meant that I couldn't go back and update an entry; instead, I had to create a new entry. I find it's a nuisance to have entries about one plant scattered throughout the diary (e.g. 23 May: sowed seeds; 3 Aug: potted up seeds; 12 Nov: planted out seeds). It's much easier to simply return to the original entry (eg 23 May) and update that, so you have all the info you need about one plant in the one spot. Not sure what the solution is ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 6, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9032594

When I got my Old Apricot I thought it was this one which we are supposed to have out here according to three garden books I have, but Alistair said it was not GM.
I wonder if it is here somewhere.
here it is
http://magicoflife.org/flower_photos/Angel%27s_Trumpet.html
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9032638

Chrissy i have taken a new pics of the calyx so you can see it
from the apex to the tip of the Calyx is about 12" long and then the flower about an extra 6-8" over that
i have bought over the years also GM but nothing seems to be, they all seem as OA
what a pity tho

Cestrum the propagation sheet you have is a good 1 i am using a spread sheet that i have to scroll thou to find every thing
spread sheets are great to record send & receive, Pods & collection list &(pics)
but hard to get head around the propagation side of it
I will look in to what you have done and see if i can implement it in to my system

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 6, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9032668

That looks like Old Apricot ... :) or at least the one we call Old Apricot

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 6, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9032783

[quote="chrissy100"]
Dianne Ivoire didn't even blink out there, in fact I think it has grown an inch overnight, I can tell already that it is a very vigorous Brug.

Fernando has more tiny buds again, I hope they hold on through the coming storm, this is the 3rd or 4th lot, if I remember correctly ...not sure if it likes more warmth or wants Autumn temps, guess I will just have to wait and see, the suspense is killing me. ^_^ .[/quote]

Same here with Ivoire, Chrissy, after I sent them out I took one for me, put it in a 4" pot and now the roots are poking thru..the way that the new branches are growing on the parent, it's really going to need a chop each year...everything heads skyward. It flowers along the branches so that's a good thing.

Fernando is doing the same thing here, this is it's 3rd attempt, the first one was last Autumn and then Spring
and now this Autumn...fingers crossed here too...

The best 2 in pots for me, have been Knightii and RFP...they seem to flower without any hastle and they don't seem to lose their vigour, but they are not strong growers in the pots..Clementine, even though it is fed the same way as the other 2, is nothing like as vigorous...After it flowers this Autumn...it can go into the ground...I have cuttings for the pot.
Angioletto is 20 ft tall, slight exaggeration, but it looks like it, with a big strong central stem and big side shoots, so
It can stay in the pot...it has lots of small buds...

Both of my Tantras have buds, I only had one flower, last year and it was beautiful...lots of buds on both..

cestrum that looks like a great system...I wish that I was so efficient..too lazy...I can barely make the entries in Excel...though I do keep a book...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 6, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9032807

Ok, seeds posted, should arrive next week.
I'm too lazy too Dianne :-) Hence the gaps in my records. (Including the history of my white suaveolens.)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 6, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9032813

Here are Tantra's buds and 2 of Ivoire enjoying the sun...he is a lovely lemon before he turns gorgeous cream...

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 6, 2012
8:27 PM

Post #9032829

Beautiful photos, Dianne--can really see the aurea in that brug. That is probably why it's such a fast grower.
Which is why this:
[quote="chrissy100"]The Earth Angel x Pink Smitty crosses are favourites of mine and both have Rothkirch in their blood, Rothkirch itself is said to be touchy and I do find that the Brugs with a lot of Rothkirch in them (meaning my E A x P S) die right back in Winter, but come back in mid Spring.[/quote]
is surprising. It wouldn't have surprised me to hear that about Ecuador Pink, but it does to hear it about this 'wildform' aurea ...

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 6, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9032836

Ivoire = Sugar Pink x Zabaglione
So the aurea characteristics come from SP ... what's the parentage of Sugar Pink? Is it unknown?

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 6, 2012
9:01 PM

Post #9032848

Yes it's an unk...cestrum...evidently Monika suggested to Chrissy to cross it with Zabaglione...
She had identified the Aurea in SP...glad that she did...
Also very glad that Chrissy took her advice...I wonder what became of the rest of the seeds?
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2012
9:34 PM

Post #9032862

i have also potted my Ivoire up in to 10" pot this afternoon it is growing shot gut and has a few shoots that are about 4" tall now it will take advantage of the fresh soil and grow even more rapidly.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 6, 2012
9:42 PM

Post #9032863

All the flowers on GHA that I pollinated have opened now so I am hoping they will become very attached to the tree .
Lots of nice new growth on all the other brugs but no sign of buds yet.
Dianne, Ivoire is growing steadily here.

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 6, 2012
9:44 PM

Post #9032865

Re Rothkirch cestrum...over on BGI, quite a few people have said that it is very finicky...I bought a lot of seeds with Rothkirch in them from Edna and just lately she has posted that her Rothkirch has died..
She is not going to replace it, she is looking for one of it's offspring "Rosalie'' or another like it...
Much tougher she said.
Alan "Hurstwood" in the UK, said that his cutting is very slow and hasn't flowered yet...
It's still a pretty flower and I will be very happy when these seedlings flower...
Just one pink Aurea hybrid please...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 6, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9032867

Congrats to you all, you will love it as I do..
cestrum, can I tempt you yet?
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 6, 2012
10:37 PM

Post #9032881

No, no, no, no more LOL But I do look forward to seeing its seedlings :-)

Is it Rothkirch itself, or is it all the cuttings of Rothkirch that have lost their vigour, do you think Chrissy? (Sort of like what happened with The Chief, isn't it, where the cuttings began to die out?) A bit sad to think of a weakling aurea, as strong growth is one of their common characteristics. And you'd expect it even more so from a brug found in the wild ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 6, 2012
11:06 PM

Post #9032893

My thoughts are that the extreme cold in the Winter gradually weakens it. Because it is slow coming back from the cold, overseas they have to push it along with super fertilizers in order to get blooms before a cool Autumn arrives. We are lucky because we don't have to do those things (so far anyway).
Just a guess though from my own observation of it's kids. I do find them less eager than the others but with sun they quickly recover.
I think the hybridizers overseas breed it with more robust Brugs to inject vigor, so hopefully you get the beauty of it with far fewer problems.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 6, 2012
11:08 PM

Post #9032894

I think that it must be Rothkirch itself though I haven't heard that it is losing it's vigour just that it's touchy...there doesn't seem to be a problem with offspring..and the Chief has to be the same,

Moulin Rouge "Brug of the year" at BGI has The Chief as it's pod parent x Sam...
The Chief has been gone for a couple of years now so I would think that Liz (Arghya Gardens) would be very cautious advocating Moulin Rouge if it looked to be going the same way...
I don't know who did the voting, Chrissy how was it voted on?

Though looking at Moulin Rouge and reading what Liz says about it, she said that it had The Chief's perfume and opened to his colour...then Sam took over...plus 4 corollas all very neatly placed...you can see why it's #1.

This message was edited Mar 7, 2012 6:40 PM
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 6, 2012
11:08 PM

Post #9032895

[quote="chrissy100"]
I think the hybridizers overseas breed it with more robust Brugs to inject vigor, so hopefully you get the beauty of it with far fewer problems. [/quote]
Oh oh, I suspect the opposite might be true, given that it has Rothkirch on both sides of the family ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 7, 2012
12:30 AM

Post #9032910

check this out
http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/topic/22882-rothkirch/

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

March 7, 2012
2:10 AM

Post #9032928

Well that's a new one on me:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/brug/msg1017223529735.html

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 7, 2012
3:12 AM

Post #9032945

have you seen this one :)
http://www.abads.org/abads/mutations/
I have on my Giant x Fire fighter Angel seedling two possible pods coming from the one bloom, first time seeing that.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 7, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9033503

Heavy, heavy rain all night, the roads all around us are under water, we are ok because we are high up but so many people are lower down, it's quite scary.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 7, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9033798

I wanted to show you what I meant by the two ova out of the one bloom, one of them is very tiny but it's there, excuse my funny doodles trying to point it out,never seen it before, the last shot shows the lazy tendrils on the G x FFA, he won't lift them up ever. I still like it though. excuse the quality of pictures due to the usual rotten weather, it stopped raining for a little while and I wanted to see what was damaged after the storms (wind was quite bad), again finding snails hiding in the Brug blooms, I don't blame them but ...goodbye ! along with the fat green grubs, no grasshoppers today ???? what happened to them ? I hope all the gardens are surviving ok. I am over it ...the wet bog I mean.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 7, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9034080

It's good that you're on high ground, Chrissy--one less person flooded is a good thing.
Interesting that suaveolens genes tend to produce a high number of blooms with >5 points. It does happen with mine--often has 6 and 7 but I don't remember seeing 8 points on it so far. Shaun, you crossed one of your suaveolens with a pink brug, didn't you--I wonder if some of its seedlings might produce pink flowers?
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2012
12:45 AM

Post #9034195

Cestrum yes i have crossed White Ruff X. Dwarf Green & Pink i have about 3 pods, white ruff has pink in it any way cos it's a suaveolens white X frosty pink so crossing back with a pink should bring about 50% pink seedlings any way, but who's to know till they flower
I do like the DP&G but bad bloomer till you tell it your going to kill it then it blooms like crazy about 50 flowers last bloom cycle

Chrissy that is interesting do you know if it was fertilised or not cos it looks like 2 separate ovum's and styles,
Love the links both you and Lucas posted last night
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 8, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9035038

Will be interesting to see those White Ruff X. Dwarf Green & Pink seedlings--not just how many are coloured but what variations of shape they have--which display more suaveolens, which more aurea, and what sort of fragrance they have too (more suav or aurea). Can't take on any more seeds myself but I can watch their progress in other people's gardens! (Besides, how boring would it be if we all grew the same plants.)

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

March 8, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9035079

Chrissy that link is just awesome thanx.. I do recall seeing it ages ago but totoally forgot about it! I have bookmarked it ;) Cool double brug receptacle, would have been good if it could have been pollinated to make a double fruit.

Also would you (or Jean) happen to be able to spare a cutting of this particular Iochroma pretty please when it's ready??:

http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/gallery/image/5198-iochroma-hybrids/

Is that the actual colour or is it just the photo? Looks great :)
Jean the australe alba, just repotted it, it's over a metre tall now. They seem to go well in pots, but you have to cut them back and repot them regularly.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 8, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9035294

Lucas, that would be one fro m what I gave Chrissy. They were hybrids of unknown parentage. If any of the bits I sent grew, you would have it. I can send you pieces but I am not sure which is which color now.
I'll parcel up a bit of each and if they grow you should have the ones you want.
They probably grow better at Chrissy with all the water. Mine never get watered unless it rains. .
Looking at that chart and what I see named on BGI etc, they can change, as these 2 pics of my red show, The first was when it was a smaller plant and maybe had more water. The other is as it mostly is in the dry. Much paler .
The last three are last years pics of the seedling ones which are not in flower as yet this year.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 8, 2012
9:03 PM

Post #9035323

Very pretty photos, Jean.
What a relief they're not scented LOL
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 8, 2012
9:12 PM

Post #9035326

Lucas, I hope you dont mind , but I am sending a few of the sanguinea seeds to the Portland Gardens. I was finally there today after our lovely drive around.
I wanted to see the parent of my first knightii. I was most surprised to find that it was a cutting grown tree from the original plant in another part of the gardens, I had never noticed it before as the gardens were overgrown in that area. Now all is cleared and tidy, one can see the plants clearly. The parent brug is over 60 years old so I was told by the gardener I met. He is the person who has been there longest and knows quite a bit about the plants.
The old brug is looking very healthy, if a little short. It has a root base of about 4'across. It has been cut back many times which is why it is short. ( about 6'. )
It is quite wide though , even id a little sparse. It is full of flowers and so are the other 3 plants, all from the parent. I did photograph the one open flower, not a good shot but definitely knightii. ( of course , I forgot to photograph the darn thing. . Too interested in its history, )
He kindly gave me a cutting from the old tree & one from one of the others.
The sanguinea , I saw there when I last visited had died . It was half dead when I saw it. They had been unable to get any piece to grow so I offered to send them some seeds. In return, The gardener took my details and promised to send me a pod from one of the brugs, .
He said there are usually 2 or 3 on the plants. ( all knightii as far as anyone knows.)
The young lady gardener there with him said she though she had planted a colored on with the others. There were no other flowers out to check.
I am crossing fingers that I get a pod.
Does knightii self pollinate or pollinate its offspring ? He said the plants definitely have pods. Maybe they are empty..Maybe one is different .
Have to wait & see,
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

March 8, 2012
10:36 PM

Post #9035355

Jean the orange, purple (last one in your set of pics) and I. grandiflorum rooted easily the others did not. So you probably did send the pale one, I was just unsuccessful with it.

I hope there will be a sanguinea to brighten up winter in the Portland gardens once more :)
Good ol Knightii, 60 years old is a decent one though..
If the Knightiis are diff clones then they could cross-pollinate, but I have also seen the odd pod on Knightiis in the burbs with apparently no other brugs around... sanguineas also.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 8, 2012
10:42 PM

Post #9035358

Only Arboreas are self pollinating, Jean...so one must be different...
What a buzz to meet the gardener and what a good idea to send him Sanguinea seeds...
Lovely to think that the old tree is still there...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 9, 2012
1:16 AM

Post #9035392

hi everyone ...the sun shone all day !

I have a whole lot of workmen in to do some stuff here over the next week so I won't be posting much until it's over, I can't use the puter during the day for that reason.

Dianne in answer to your BGI query re FB
http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/topic/22939-is-facebook-affecting-the-posts-on-bgi-and-other-gardening-forums/

Lovely pictures everyone, so nice to see these plants becoming popular and available to people who had never even heard of them before.

Enjoy your evening ...it's Friday. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIsWRaCcUIM&feature=related

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2012
1:32 AM

Post #9035396

Jean, all those Iochroma' s are very lovely plants, Lucas you are luck to have some of them from Jean.

I think in the next year or so that id like to obtain a few myself, i do have 2 and there is a I.cyaneum with the white ring on the corolla edge which i find very attractive

not much happening here at the moment but a new cycle of blooms are heading my way
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 9, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9035993

Lucas, I am kicking myself at forgetting to take more pics of the brugs yesterday. I didnt have the camera in my hand when talking and as we were just having lunch, it went right out of my mind to do it later. I should have taken pics of the 4 plants and the other buds etc. Maybe next year, I'll remember.
As I understand it, the other 3 brugs are all cuttings of the old plant . They are all pretty spindly but healthy. Lots of flowers coming. If I had waited a few days more, I would have seen them in full flower.
Hopefully, my timing will be better next time.
I was interested to hear how they propagate their brug cuttings.
A small \ green shoot ( about 4"-5") is taken, dipped in rooting compound then kept in a ziplock plastic bag until roots form.
Apparently very successful.
I am trying it with the pieces I have.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 9, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9036077

Good morning everyone, it's very crisp out there this morning but it will be another sunny day today.

Just a suggestion (take cuttings of your favourite Brugs) just in case it's going to be very cold this Winter.

Jean could you tell us a bit more, when you say in Ziplock bags do you mean the pot or the cutting, if it's the cutting, is there some medium in the bag ?

Lucas my Iochroma are covered in fruit, Jean I am sure yours must be too. Next Spring there should be lots of Hybrid seeds to share. The cuttings are most successful taken from the new tips in early Spring.

Enjoy your coming weekend !
chrissy

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 9, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9036172

Chrissy, I can t tell you much more about the process of cuttings in bags. I think he was anxious to get to lunch and Hubby was patiently waiting out of the way with our lunch.
As far as I understand, he just dips the small cuttings in rooting hormone, pops them in the zip lock bag and waits for roots. .
I have seen this talked about at one time for zygos.
Apparently it works well.
I did try zygos once, but forgot about the bag getting hot in the greenhouse so they cooked, but there were roots coming.

No fruit on my Iochromas.
I dont take a lot of notice of them so maybe they had fruit which fell off.
The established ones grow well on their own so I leave them. The ones which were seed grown dont flower well, but ma take time. They all grow tall and lanky.
I am not that worried about them. If they survive, good, if not, I have all the brugs, which I prefer.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 9, 2012
10:30 PM

Post #9036500

Jean, I read somewhere that they do that with frangipani cuttings...I will try it too...
No fruit on my Iochromas either at least not that I can find...I have 4 little ones growing from seeds given by a friend...how long do they take to flower?

Thanks for the link Chrissy...it has turned out to be a good discussion...a lot of members having a say.

I tried to cross Knightii with Ivoire, last night...hope it took...sometimes Knightii looks very waxy, so maybe a white Aurea hybrid?...it pays to be optimistic...lol
RFP is looking lovely, Colleen...the pots are in flower so is the one in the ground...
The snails are back in force, gathered a lot this morning...they decided to eat the leaves of the young brugs underneath the tall ones...

I had to take off the tip of the fasciation flowers, a lot of water inside...
There was a tv program about South America on last thursday night, but they took it off for the cricket.
hope that they reprogramme it for this week...always on the lookout for Brugmansias growing in the wild.. :-)
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9037224

Hi guys, Just like Dianne's Fasciation i also have 1 accruing on my aurea(hull Rd) i have just not really bothered with it because Dianne's is Stunning but not Unique so we have seen 2 this growing season, what may have bought it on?????

i also have a flower coming from 1-2" from the ground {i think Jean or Dianne was mentioning that one of there plants had flowers up the stem but below the "Y" } it is of Lucas's aurea (Yellow/Orange)

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

March 10, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9037245

Hey Shaun I'm pretty sure that cutting was actually above the Y, if so it would still have the flowering hormone.. still looks rather curious and odd eh, hopefully the flower bud develops fully.
Some fascinating fasciation going on there too. ;)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 10, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9037359

Cuttings from above the Y can do this, although most wait to make the Y above Y before they do.
I have been out and found Fernando has it's buds at 2 " in length, since they never got that length before perhaps the sun has allowed them to cling on this time. I am quietly excited because I think the Sun may last a bit. darned snails had better leave them alone, found more in the blooms and ants everywhere (probably starving).
The big shock is the number of what looks like fertile pods setting on the Brugs that are all huddled together in the cottage garden. The Earth Angel x Pink Smitty is covered in 3 inch length pods (may well be duds because I did not do it) So far the ones I did cross TTx Heart of Gold and Visa versa seem to be holding but who knows.
The sun has triggered tremendous growth, I think my poor Angels think it's Spring after all the darkness, I sure hope we aren't in for any nasty surprises.
I went to check again on the Iochroma and sure enough little fruits everywhere, I don't know what happens with these plants, I am not sure if they self pollinate or cross, I did nothing but the Coral and the smoky purple are near each other, that colour mixed together makes brown does it not, ewe !

I hope everyone is enjoying some sun out there (or rain if you need it )

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 10, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9037480

Interesting fasciation, Shaun.
Talking about buds on the trunks of my GHAs, I have 2 cuttings taken from them which are only about 14" high but have buds and flowers up the stem.
Also one of your aureas has 4 flowers , Lucas.
I know they all came from above the Y originally but they are so much more vigorous in putting out flowers early before making more Ys.
It seems that the aureas have plenty of get up & go, more so than any of the other brugs.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 10, 2012
11:11 PM

Post #9037651

Your climate certainly suits the Aureas, Jean...
The Sphaeros should love it too...I bet.
My Macedon and GHA are fast becoming one big tree...it's becoming harder to see where one starts and the other leaves off...

That fasciation is interesting too, Shaun, the way that it has separated...has the single stem stayed fasciated too? It's a bit hard to tell by the pic...

A new baby, that needed a little help..I didn't want the corolla teeth damaged..so I wrapped the stem.
there must be a 5th tooth in there somewhere...Haven't unearthed the name tag yet...
The next one is of Macedon and GHA...then Ivoire...Ivoire's one and only pod has a beautiful velvet feel that hasn't worn off yet...last but definitely not least RFP...it's a lot deeper pink this afternoon.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 10, 2012
11:57 PM

Post #9037663

I'd recognise my baby anywhere, Dianne, They certainly look like twins dont they. Double the perfume.
I am getting whiffs all the time from GHA here. He is a mass of flowers again.
. . Love Ivoire.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 11, 2012
12:19 AM

Post #9037667

Lovely pictures Dianne, could you tell us what shape the pod on Ivoire is please ?

Is your new baby a cutting grown plant or a seedling ? how exciting. Lovely long tendrils.

lucas13

lucas13
Victoria
Australia

March 11, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9038590

Have you tried xing GHA with Macedon? Is your sang budding up yet? Some of mine are...
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9038664

Lucas, I have tried to cross 1 flower no success but will be trying again when in bloom
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 11, 2012

Post #9038835

GHA looking good after the savage prune last year.
The second pic is the other GHA with its flowers up the trunks as well as on top. This one grew the tall twin trunks in just the last year.
Perfume is wonderful.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 11, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9038864

Lucas, I have tried Macedon with GHA several times over the past Spring and Summer...no go..
My Sang is putting out a lot of bushy growth so I'm expecting that the flowers aren't far away.

Chrissy, I don't know that the Ivoire pod has taken yet...it is about 1½ ins long and it has turned downwards...very velvety to touch...but a slim pod so far...I will keep you posted.
It will be interesting to see what type of pod it produces...

Because Ivoire is a hybrid, would it be called an Aurea Hybrid if it produces Aurea pods...I still haven't got the hang of identifying them

The baby is from one of the Volker seeds...it's either LBG x Bergfeurer or Charleston x Apricot Queen...I won't know until I dig up the pot...the tag is in the roots...

GHA is a joy, Jean...a garden of Aureas wouldn't be to hard to take, would it?
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 11, 2012
10:20 PM

Post #9038957

Dianne, I am planning on one area for the aureas when they all grow.
It will be just around from the back door, where GHA is now.
I will be able to sit and swoon in all that perfume..mmmmmmmm
Jean.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 12, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9040305

cestrum, seeds arrived and I will be planting them later.
Thank you.
Jean.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2012
2:26 AM

Post #9040603

Lucas, i was out side pollinating aurea y/o and noticed the pod which i crossed with aurea (form) had fallen off, it was about 1" long so i will have to cross it again & hope that i can get it to Maturity to see what we come up with
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 13, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9041301

Good to hear, Jean.
I think this must be the fastest pod to reach maturity so far--10 weeks from pollination to harvest. It was on Golden Butter (aurea) and contained only 13 seeds, but they look plump and viable. The seedpods on other brugs pollinated at that time are still green, although some of them are slightly larger than this one. Generally, the suaveolens type tend to mature faster but they have tiny seeds whereas these are typical aurea (i.e. larger seeds).

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 13, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9041430

What did you cross it with cestrum?
I have a RFP x Angioletto, pollinated on 3/1, it's peduncle is turning yellow...hope it's ok.

Colleen, I will send your BF x PP seeds, after the RFP seed pod falls off...just in case they are ok...
Here is my baby with the lovely big whiskers...it's a double and a 6pt...I am hoping the skirt drops a bit and it stays white...if this happens then I have my equivalent of Charleston...yahoo.
I forgot to add the perfume is very much like Knightii's.

Had to put this pic of RFP in as well...I love it's starfish shape...see I remembered cestrum, only because I wrote it down.
Pics won't load, be back later.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9041525

this is a better pic of my fasciation
It looks as if with time it's getting bigger

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 13, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9041593

Just been out spraying for the dreaded mites again. I noticed some on one brug so sprayed them all. . It only takes one hot day for the little b***s to rise again.
With the previous cooler few days, the brugs have stared to put out buds again. I really would like to see them stay on this time so am asking the Man upstairs for mild weather.
I have been pleased with the way the smaller seedlings are going down in the back shadehouse.
The cold climate ones are tall lanky creatures but looking healthy. They will probably thicken up as they grow bigger.

Shaun you may end up with a fasciation as big as Diannes one.
Dianne, is the bud still on yours ?

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 13, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9041766

Jean, it has about a dozen buds all of them short and fat...the oldest one is beginning to open.
Goodness knows what's in there..PP buds are quite different...
I put my finger alongside a normal one, but the F one is twice the width of my finger...can't reach it though.
I can see inside a bit and I can see corolla teeth, shouldn't be long now..

Still can't upload pics...
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 13, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9041803

Don't know what's happening with your photos, Dianne, because they upload without hassle here ...
The GB pod was crossed with Elfin Pink. GB pods are small egg-shaped pods anyway (as was one of yours from a post somewhere?) but 10 weeks is record time in my garden, I think ...

This message was edited Mar 14, 2012 12:00 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 13, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9041868

I will try them again..first the seedling and the RFP.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 13, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9041874

They sat on 63% for a while and then they went.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 13, 2012

Post #9041905

Can't remember what RFP is but the pink bloom is very pretty.

That double white is intriguing--does it have a single coloured brug as one parent? Because a white double crossed with a coloured single has given some of the prettiest coloured brugs if the double white is carrying coloured genes. New Orleans Lady, for instance, is a cross between Tiara (double white) and Rothkirch (single pink wildform aurea). Tiara itself is a cross between the double white Tutu and the single pink Kascade, a wildform versicolor.

The beauty is that Tutu is believed to be our very own knightii, proving that's it's possible to get a double coloured bloom in the second generation of knightii crosses, i.e. first-gen cross (F1) = knightii x single coloured brug, which *might* produce a double white/cream, which would be our version of something like Tiara; 2nd-gen cross = F1 x another single coloured brug, which might produce a a double coloured brug, perhaps our version of NOL. Of course, there are a lot of IFs, COULDs and MIGHTs, but the fact that NOL arose this way proves it's possible ...

Of course, you might even get a coloured double in the first-gen seedlings as Alistair did with his pink knightii cross, but the odds would vbe greater in the 2nd-gen crosses. Actually, no: Alistair's cross is a 2nd-gen seedling after all, being (knightii x Meroo Totty) x Lipstick = Pink Knight.

This message was edited Mar 14, 2012 1:26 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 13, 2012
11:20 PM

Post #9041991

Dianne your pictures are wonderful but if you want them that big it will slow down the loading (they explained this). I noticed how long this thread has grown while I have been off the air ...fantastic but loooong ! ^_^
So since you have a new double baby CONGRATULATIONS ! would you be so kind as to start a new thread please ?

cestrum wow that is awfully quick for a pod to ripen although in this weather goodness only knows anything could happen, the innards look a bit fungused, I would peel the seeds and gently squeeze to make sure they are not just fluid. I only say that because of the short ripening time, how magical if we can get them to ripen that quickly.

Shaun I wonder if this weird weather is causing the drama with the Brugs ?

Not a lot happening here except I am still finding heaps of what looks like growing pods (ones I had nothing to do with).
Wayne's LP no., 9 has turned the almost identical colour of Buck's Fizz at it's finest intense orange. ^_^

I hope all this banging and mess is finished tomorrow ...

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2012
11:33 PM

Post #9041992

Cestrum i also had pods that had ripened from 11/11/11 to 12/2/12 & 15/2/12
the first 1 was a cross of aurea (form) X.DRC and i have got a few seedling up at the moment so i can state that the shorter period dose not hinder the development of the embryo,

i hope that all of the seed or majority are viable for you so that you have at least 1 or 2 seedlings from that pods

chrissy hope all is well and the Kitchen is up to your standards lol as if not those builders would not be there hahahahahah

Dianne congrats on the Babies that are coming throw especially the double white if you cross it back with a seedling from the same cross you will probably get coloured doubles yippy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 13, 2012
11:50 PM

Post #9041999

That would be 13 weeks Shaun, a good effort but mine took 3 whole weeks less!
I peeled 8 of the seeds; two had tiny non-viable kernels but the other 6 had large firm kernels, typical of aureas. So I sowed the kernels and we'll know in a few weeks whether they're viable.
I used the example of New Orleans Angel above because its ancestry is both simple (just two generations of seedlings) and known. Alas, there are so many lovely coloured double brugs where even the pod parent is not known (or, in many cases, not revealed).
There's a real thrill in breeding your own :-)
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2012
12:48 AM

Post #9042024

Cestrum, Have you any suggestions to what i can do with Culebra for crossing
I have buds all over 1 i have added pollen to of aurea
i still have many buds to come and i would like & am trying to cross him this year or at least trying to
any suggestions welcome

I am going to try cutting the style and depositing the pollen down the shaft like i'v read about difficult CV and how many times people have tried crossing and this is like 1 of the last steps before giving up?

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 14, 2012
1:07 AM

Post #9042033

Chrissy, I don't think that size is the problem with the pics as this is the size I always use and most times even 5 only takes a short time...
This afternoon they zipped thru.
I would have loved to put a new pic of the white on to start a new thread...unfortunately all that's left of it is the inner skirt and the perfume...the wind and the heat really wrecked it...there are a lot more coming, but it will be a few days...
Could someone else start a new thread?.

cestrum, it's either LBG x Bergfeurer or Charleston x Apricot Queen, the latter fits your criteria for a pretty double and the majority of Charleston's registered offspring are either apricots or cream, with the occasional
orange and pink thrown in...it is a consistent parent of doubles, as you know, which is why I liked it so much
when I first saw the seeds on eBay...

if it is the other cross, well who knows...no info there...just the hope of the lovely colour coming thru.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 14, 2012
1:11 AM

Post #9042035

I think you'll find that Alistair gave up on Culebra, Shaun..that's how difficult it is...why don't you send an email to Mario...you can collaborate on the project...he's on BGI.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 14, 2012
3:11 AM

Post #9042053

Good luck with it Shaun ...you have done very well to have it covered in Buds.
I think it may be a very deformed sort of Brug thus making it difficult to breed.

Great news that the pods can ripen quicker than first thought, mine will take forever no doubt unless we have a sunny Autumn/Winter.

What a shame Dianne ...never mind, it will bloom again in kinder conditions.
The larger pics go through slower when there is high usage ...when things are quieter they move quicker.
I hope someone will start the next thread with a pretty picture.
People drop off when a thread is too long.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 14, 2012
3:35 AM

Post #9042059

We just had the wildest electrical storm...very violent winds and rain...probably nothing left of my newest flower now...
Oh well, it will be back to snail squashing in the morning..they'll be out in force now.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 14, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9042803

Having trouble connecting to DG this morning. Other sites load OK so I assume it's something at DG's end ...
Shaun, I have no experience with Culebra but would just say two things: (1) Don't be put off by other people's lack of success. After all, look at our success with knightii, which was supposed to be hard to pollinate but which has given us plenty of viable seedpods. (2) Autumn is a wonderful time for pollinating brugs, so keep trying during this season. (If you're really keen, just keep trying throughout the year.) Every attempt is a chance at success!
Dianne, there's something odd about Charleston ... I mean, I've seen somewhere that it is actually Tiara. They have the same hybridiser and parents (Tutu x Kascade) but that's all I know. Anyway, what a thrill if it is! Even if not, it's still a double with a coloured parent so should produce some very interesting seedlings ... maybe a double coloured brug among them :-)
Lots of buds but virtually no brug flowers here either and certainly nothing photogenic. Did someone say snails? A new generation has just hatched in my garden, many the size of grains of sand. Here's one of the larger ones, all scattered up in the canopy where the skinks can't reach them ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 14, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9042817

Hi everyone. Lots of interesting things going on in here. Seeds have arrived thanks Cestrum. Having trouble with something nipping the tops off my seedlings. Can't find anything and was wondering if the chooks have done it. Have moved some of them into the SH for safety but haven't got the room for all of them. Will wait for RFP's pod to ripen thanks Dianne. Keep up the good work everyone. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 14, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9043202

cestrum, before I forget..RFP is Colleen's Riverland Frosty Pink..
My Knightii's didn't take, so will try again...hopefully they will produce singles again at the end of the season as they did last year..
My white one is a real mess, after the heat and the storm last night...the inner corolla must have boiled in the heat..it isn't sheltered at all...so until it grows a canopy to protect itself,,the flowers will suffer on very hot days.

The Knightii, that is the one that I took the cutting from, near Geelong hospital, suffered the same fate...all the ones under the canopy were fine, but all the outer ones were brown and ruined.
But the Sanguinea, bless it's green heart...was in full flower and beautiful...it's a ripper that one...

Shaun when mine grows, I will be trying to pollinate my Culebra...so keep going...you just might find the answer...

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 14, 2012
9:21 PM

Post #9043216

Back from shopping and did a run around all the brugs. They are all putting out new pods, so hopefully some will stay on this time. If it stays cool as was this morning, it will help.
Very cloudy here but getting hot again.
Apparently my rain went to Hamilton. Must have lost its GPS.

I found no orphans so bought a pack of tall bamboo stakes for my cold climate brugs.
Going out to plant lots of seeds now.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 14, 2012
9:24 PM

Post #9043218

Amazingly the PP fasciation pod is still going, I though that it would be battered to death last night...

I am trying not to get excited by this thing, but it's hard to keep a lid on it...
What makes it worse, is the fact that I think the other buds are normal...except maybe the fat one on the left.

Have a look at all those corolla teeth...I think that there are 9/10...sorry about the fuzzy pics.
The first 2 were last nights...the others are this afternoons.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 14, 2012
9:35 PM

Post #9043225

Dianne it's a beauty. I would be excited too. I was thinking about Culebra, I suppose you have tried crossing with the cold brugs or Arborea, Shaun. I would imagine that Alistair tried everything. It's worth a mention though, because Culebra doesn't like the heat does it? Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 14, 2012
10:43 PM

Post #9043251

Leaping lizards Dianne that is spectacular, imagine PP with all those tendrils !!!!!
I really hope the weather will be kind !
Won't you start the next thread with it ?

L P no.,9- look at this colour ! the poor Brugs have had full on hot sun today, but the temps were cool overnight the night before last, this colour was even richer that morning but it's still lovely, intense ! How amazing is a bit of Sunshine even if it terminates the pods (still there and still growing so far- gobsmacked !)
This is glowing, which does not carry into the pictures of course.
4th pic is the buds on Fernando, I think they will hang on baring an awful weather event, one of the buds is 3 inches long so I think they are past the danger, now I need a shotgun for the munchers and #@$%^& snails !

Shaun if you have the Culebra in pots, move the blooming one into pretty solid shade when you cross it, I think that might help, pollination may require fairly cool temps to create a pod.
Arborea won't cross with an Aurea as I understand it.
Good luck ^_^

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 15, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9044019

I most certainly will be glad to open a new thread with the PP when it opens, Chrissy..it's almost there.

I opened up the white double and the corolla inside was identical to the outside one...fully formed and 6pts..
so hopefully the next flower might get to maturity...though I know with doubles, the first flush isn't always the way it will turn out...

LPn9 is a beautiful colour...It's a shame we can never seem to capture the real colour of these flowers...
we need HD and 3D wouldn't that be great...I don't doubt that it will happen one day..what a boon that would be...I can't stop thinking abut the concept...just imagine watching your flower displayed in HD
and 3D...slowly turning so it can be examined from all angles...dream on.

Here is Tantra in 2D...not a double this time...lots more buds to come.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 15, 2012
9:24 PM

Post #9044498

Check this out, from the same ebay seller offering that burnt orange (and other) brugs:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brugmansia-DOUBLE-APRICOT-Angels-Trumpet-Datura-VERY-RARE-fragrant-plant-/160762920021?pt=AU_Plants_Seeds_Bulbs&hash=item256e377c55
It's described as a double apricot. The photo does indeed show a double, but it looks more orange-yellow than apricot. Wonder if it's Clementine? Or an unknown (and very pretty) seedling?
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 15, 2012
9:34 PM

Post #9044505

Looks like Clementine to me too Cestrum. $30 boy we're sitting on goldmines aren't we? Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 15, 2012
10:38 PM

Post #9044535

That's Clementine alright, I have a pic just like it.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 15, 2012
10:51 PM

Post #9044536

[quote="ctmorris"]Looks like Clementine to me too Cestrum. $30 boy we're sitting on goldmines aren't we? Colleen[/quote]
Dunno about that--who would we sell to? It seems as if pretty much all the brug lovers are here, on this forum, growing their own brugs :-)

[quote="Seachanger"]That's Clementine alright, I have a pic just like it.[/quote]
Not identical I hope, Dianne! It's a beautiful brug and I'd bet you $10 that it will appear in Alistair's book :-) Justifiably so.

OT, but I see that Tesselaar is having a plants expo this weekend: http://www.gardeningandrareplants.com.au/rare-plants.shtml
Good one if you can get to it ...

This message was edited Mar 16, 2012 3:51 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 15, 2012
11:17 PM

Post #9044542

I don't get to that one, cestrum...I wait for the Spring one at Mt Macedon.
Always seems to be a lot on at this time of year.

Here are todays pics of the PP...it's out there blowing around in the wind...thank goodness for the Aurea in it, the bud stands out from the stem and it's very strong...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 15, 2012
11:58 PM

Post #9044551

I bet that Brug is Clementine ...I suppose the shared Brugs will find their way around the place, there must be some call for them if they are starting to appear in Bunnings etc. The thing I don't love is the probable messing with the names. That makes me want to keep my special ones to come all to myself, you worry about them suddenly appearing places with different names, sharing is one thing but changing the names is a worry.Look at Clementine, she now has at least 3 names that we know of.
Thanks for pointing it out cestrum , I don't do Ebay so I would not have known about " Double Apricot " ...take note any lurkers out there this is Clementine.

Dianne Tantra is so lovely, I wish mine would hurry up and bloom, that texture is so solid, it's very beautiful, like the finest white porcelain. ^_^
The PP is amazing ! I hope it survives the bashing of the wind and elements.

Colleen this is a cheap price compared to the ones we were paying for in the beginning, a place up North was charging a fortune when I first started.

Jean I hope your buds stay put, can't wait to see them bloom.

Well my kitchen isn't quite finished , the ramp we built for my sister in law (many years ago) started to crack under the strain of heavy stuff being carried in by big tradies. So next week I have the ramp being knocked down before they install the new dishwasher and the top extension above the cupboards (my ceilings here are very high), everything else is done, grouting and plumbing finished off today, whew. I am so over it!. can't wait to play with my new toys though.

It's sprinkling now, they reckon the storms are coming, I hope not because the pods on my donated Brugs are growing, I am pretty sure they will persist, I am stunned.
I always said it was not possible but perhaps certain Brugs don't need huge quantities of pollen to work, can't wait to find out what will happen, Wayne had success with his and funnily enough I think they are responsible for the pods on the Earth Angel crosses and visa versa.
My first double to doubles crosses appear to be hanging on too (I did those though ) I did not want any donors there ^_^.
I have Heart of Gold on B B and T T.
I am hoping for a kind Autumn.

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9045160

Dianne your PP is looking so interesting and all of those tendrils Q? how many????
hope it is a record for the most amount of tendrils on a brug bloom, also Tantra is looking good for you he is so pretty. My plant is on it's second flush for the year and i have it crossed with EP and has taken wonder what will come of that?

Sorry guys i cant put any thing in to the chatter about ebay's Clementine ????? as i dont have it and not seen a flower sorry but it is the way of the future of selling as it gets to many more people then your local nursery,
Chrissy, Bunnings only sell 2 varieties and have for mmmmm since i can remember 'double white' = Knightii, & apricot = OA i have never seed any other on there floor for sale,

congrats on the Kitchen and having it completed, hope the garden looks a bit better now that they have left and how's the weather doing you poor sole!

i have tried to do a cross with Culebra by cutting the style and depositing the polling this way fingers crosses!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 16, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9045185

That will teach me to boast about pods, I don't know what I will find out there this morning.
We had a huge storm last night, the wind was like some giant hand smacking the house, it flattened the tree tops (view from the bedroom window) I can't get outside yet because of the flooded driveway and the rain. We lost power last night for almost three hours.It was wild and a bit scary (normally I find storms quite beautiful- but this one was scary), there are things all over the place out there, I can see bits of trees etc scattered in all directions.
March ...can't wait to see the end of it, always trouble.

Good luck with that cross Shaun.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 16, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9045344

Ok well I waded out there and found that the pods have hung on ...wow!
So I have been picking stuff out of the branches of the Brugs, everything from pine needles to gum leaves as well as lots of snails, the frogs are croaking happily and the mozzies are out in force.

cestrum and everyone Wayne says hi and that he cannot access daves for some reason, He says that he has a cute little triple white from one of cestrum's Knightii crosses ...Congratulations cestrum, you got your own triple cross ! that is very exciting !
He is off to a wedding today but I have asked him to post it on FB so maybe I can link it and get permission from him to show those of you who are not on FB.

We are entering a very exciting phase of the Brug journey in Australia - CONGRATULATIONS everyone ! ^_^
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 16, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9045452

A triple white? How interesting. (I did say that I thought someone else was likely to get my knightii crosses to flower before I did--I lost the vast majority to snails/slugs/wilt.) Wonder what it was crossed with ... probably a coloured one. Which makes it a prime candidate for breeding some local double coloured seedlings. Will be interesting to see what it looks like ...
Actually, a *triple* is most unexpected ... wonder if it was crossed with one of the overseas doubles? No, don't think so as these wouldn't have had time to flower. It'll probably be one with an unknown pollen donor, just our luck LOL
Added: Actually, it must be knightii x Ecuador Pink, as this seedling was in bud last time I heard from Wayne. I remember reading that EP might have some double genes in it, so that would explain it ...

This message was edited Mar 17, 2012 11:16 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 16, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9045540

I went back to double check on his message and here is the part that talks about it cestrum ^_^

" Meanwhile, a lovely little tripple white has come out on Cestrum's Knightii x noid.
Also, Cestrum's OA x BB has developed a pod!
I can't access Dave's. Weird. So say G'day there for me please. "

If Wayne means it's a small bloom then there is Aurea in it I think, because Aurea downsized the bloom size. Some of Alistair's plants have Aurea genes in their background. Whatever it is ...it's exciting and all of the Knightii crosses hold great promise.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 16, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9045581

I wondered about the description of the bloom as 'cute litte' as that suggests aurea to me too, but doesn't explain the triple bloom. I would have expected at most a double white from one of my earlier knightii seedlings (before my overseas-bred double pink seedlings started blooming).
So it is knightii x unknown after all LOL

But I understood that Wayne had a large fat bud on a knightii x EP seedling too ...

One more thing: OA x BB is one of your crosses, Chrissy, as my BB only bloomed for the first time recently and I haven't yet been able to cross it with anything. Anyway, all should be cleared up when Wayne has a chance to get onto DG ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 16, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9045632

Just thought you would like to know that Knightii can sometimes produce triples according to the BGI data base. So it produces mostly doubles, the odd single and some triples.
I personally think it is the start of all doubles/triples. Of course that may be wrong but I suspect it is responsible for most of them.

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 16, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9045648

[quote="chrissy100"]
I personally think it is the start of all doubles/triples. Of course that may be wrong but I suspect it is responsible for most of them.

[/quote]
I remember Alistair saying that knightii is the progenitor of all doubles, or words to that effect. I just didn't expect to get a triple from a first-gen knightii cross! Or expect such a high proportion of doubles in knightii's first-gen seedlings. Will be interesting to see how the other knightii seedlings turn out.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 16, 2012
9:54 PM

Post #9045694

Great going cestrum, you seem to have the knack with Knightii...
Hope Wayne posts soon so you can see it...so we can all see it, I mean.

Here's my first flower from Maya...lots more to come..it's pale at the moment, most likely have it's colour tomorrow...such a very good plant in the hot sun in pots.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2012
10:26 PM

Post #9045705

Wow that sounds really exciting to have a new
Generation. Of plants that may eventually be
Australian breed and grown tripe's way to go
Cestrum with the help from Wayne

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 17, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9046388

Just a quick hello because the sun is out ^_^

The seed pods are growing ...it's just a thought but ...could it have something to do with pinching off the tips of the unopened blooms to let the water out ? it seems to have happened on those ones mostly. I hope it was not just one or two grains of pollen that triggered the pods ...a waiting game to see now I guess. I even found a fairly largish pod on Axelrose, really surprised at that one.
The buds on Fernando are still growing but I see looking through the light that the blossom inside is still only half an inch long inside, if they make it to a flush there are quite a few of them. I crossed BB with Poison and that looks good (I couldn't resist the size thing ) I am trying for a Giant White with multi tendrils with that cross. I think the cooler wetter weather has helped set pods both the ones I did and the insect pollinated ones. Pictures are of some of the pods you can see the growth daily now.
Can't believe it ! wish I knew what thingy does the deed.

Have a lovely day everyone

chrissy

This message was edited Mar 18, 2012 11:54 AM

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 17, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9046403

Butter Bomb doing his 6's and 7's again. What a beautiful angel. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris   Thumbnail by ctmorris

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 17, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9046531

Maya is looking very healthy, as is BB, and those seedpods are little motherlodes of potential :-
Can anyone point me to a photo of Polar Cornet? It's a grandparent of my Pink Sweetie, with parents Frosty Pink x white suaveolens and it's a single white/cream--but I haven't actually seen a photo of it. It's taken me this long to delve more deeply into the background of my PS! I didn't realise but it has aurea genes (via single pink Dark Rosetta), suaveolens via Frosty Pink and an unnamed white suaveolens, and a good dose of versicolor via Apricot Queen and Ecuador Pink. I remember Alistair saying that orange genes often come from suaveolens and also from versicolors (orange-lookalikes in this case), so I'm thinking there may be a potential orange lurking there somewhere in its offspring :-)
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 17, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9046732

Yippeee!!!!! I have my first buds on GHA. Really looking forward to seeing him Jean. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 17, 2012
10:22 PM

Post #9046881

cestrum ...here is a picture of Polar Cornet (mis- named accidentally by Ann ) I have it here as she traded a piece with me.
from memory it was quite small and white of course.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6209921
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2012
10:56 PM

Post #9046908

I also think that there were a few others from the same cross i "believe" that it was Alistair's cross from 'Frosty Pink X suaveolens (White) and the crosses are Peppermint Cream, Poison, Polar Cornet & White Ruff.

so if your looking for those genes it's in them all white flowering brugs with different styles of bloom, i can only talk about Whit Ruff with it's ruffled margin

Chrissy you will have so many pods id probably start to cut them of and discard them

Colleen good 1 he dose look nice and i am aboput to get him to bloom also this time with many flowers not just 1bloom

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 17, 2012
11:17 PM

Post #9046914

Shaun why would I discard the pods ? do you think they harm the mother plant ?
I have had multiple pods by my own hand in the past and they did no harm to the mother plant. If they were close to some bad brugs maybe nut these possible donors are all very good donors are all very good plants.
Extra seeds can go to newbies and donations to BGI seedbank.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2012
11:28 PM

Post #9046918

no Chrissy i don't believe the pods harm the plants or id be screwed hahahahaha
i just thought that these could be a lot of work in the collection of them and the cross of unknown is not that relevant when donating to newbie & other enterprises,

I know that i have a dining room table full of pods and seeds drying out at the moment and there looks to be more on the way
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 17, 2012
11:48 PM

Post #9046923

Thanks for that photo of Polar Cornet, Chrissy. You can really see the suaveolens in it, courtesy of its parents Frosty Pink x white suaveolens.

Right you are, Shaun: all those you've listed are from the same cross by Alistair. You've prompted me to delve a little further, so I went to the BGI known cultivar database at http://www.brugmansia.us/cultivars/cultivardatabase.html/_/cultivarnames/ and searched using "Alistair Hay" as the hybridiser--quite an impressive list of plants, including one sanguinea.

Chrissy, while I remember, I noticed at the PO recently a notice saying that parcels to the US weighing just under 500g (the weight was in ounces, not metric) incurred an additional $9 fee due to extra handling/security anti-terrorism procedures. Just thought I'd mention it ...

Things are starting to come into bloom including Big Floppy Apricot, just starting to colour up.

Edited for typos.

This message was edited Mar 18, 2012 4:51 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 17, 2012
11:59 PM

Post #9046930

It happens, too many things to do,life getting in the way, not to mention the weather.
I get sore fingers from checking one out of every ten seeds I harvest, but it is a Labor of Love for me. Luckily my seed table is a ten footer. :)
As mentioned these ones all hold great genes, so I would never throw them away. Look what happened already, there are some lovely babies coming through from earlier crosses, if I have to grow a lot out then I will. I want that perfect white. A white version of TT and I am going to get it. ^_^ . When I retire to the new smaller acreage, this will be my retirement hobby, perfecting Brugmansia.
I don't want to sell them, ...it will be my special collection just for the love of them. Some people fish, some go bowling, some like to shop till they drop or collect antiques, me? I will have a Garden full of Angel's Trumpets.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 18, 2012
12:07 AM

Post #9046933

Sorry cestrum I was addressing Shaun and our posts crossed.
I forgot to say that I will be gardening as a full time hobby ...it will of course include hopefully veggies and fruit (in a separate area) but that will give hubbie something to do ... I will have to keep him busy, being a workaholic, it will be hard for him not to be busy so I aim to keep him very busy, after all his roots were in Market gardening when his family first came to Australia.
I might even get him to build a Pizza oven like Ginger made.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 18, 2012
12:52 AM

Post #9046942

I think we might make 300 posts at this rate...this PP is certainly taking it's time...the fasciation appears to have doubled the size of the unopened flower as well as the amount of corolla teeth...pics don't tell the true story, so I measured them.
Normal PP flower at the widest part of the corolla is 2¾ ins or 7cm...
The fasciated one is 5¼ ins or 13·5 cms.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 18, 2012
1:13 AM

Post #9046946

Dianne that 4th picture is spectacular enough to start a new thread or we will wait for tomorrow's shot ...this thread is way long ^_^
once again WOWSER !!!!!!

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2012
1:28 AM

Post #9046948

Dianne this PP is so stunning is it the only bloom like this on the plant>>>>>>>
you are defiantly going to have to cross it with something and do you know if there are more then 1 style?? in that Hugh MF of a bloom.
all the best with it tho
do you have a pic of where this started on the plant????????
chrissy WOWZER !!!! is rite

also i have been getting back in to my garden in a big way since i meet up with all of you i have a second Third fourth wind and am more excited about my plants more then ever because of U
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9047013

a few good blooms of Culebra

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

March 18, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9047592

We have moved to here...come on over.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1247588/
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

March 18, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9047823

Here is Big Y flowering again going well.and the other White unnamed.

Thumbnail by Gena1234   Thumbnail by Gena1234   Thumbnail by Gena1234   Thumbnail by Gena1234

Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

March 18, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9047840

Here is the Unnamed Apricot, flowering

Thumbnail by Gena1234

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9047862

[quote="Seachanger"]We have moved to here...come on over.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1247588/[/quote]

gena there is a new thread

please use it these pics are so beautiful post them on this link
which is here

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America