Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Homesteading: In like a lion on the March homestead

Communities > Forums > Homesteading
bookmark
Forum: HomesteadingReplies: 88, Views: 805
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2012
3:42 AM

Post #9026693

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1240490/

forecast for today is warm -67- with severe storms. We already have the generator hooked up ready to go at the hatchery. I have mine out on the deck.

I have electric poly wire around my garden. I have groundhogs (woodchucks) 'coons, and deer that love my produce as much as I do. I built a scarecrow, too.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2012
4:56 AM

Post #9026750

Thanks for the new start, Nik.

March sure is coming in like a Lion!
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9026800

I have all my batteries on charge right now, including the Kindle and netbook. I also have all my extension cords ready to deploy and I have 30 gallons of gas for the generator. I have a few things outside to get battened down yet, but I am almost as ready as I can get. I hate stormy weather, but what are you going to do?
TXbabybloomer
Dayton, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9027081

I think I missed February all together! I have been consumed with getting my broken foot healed (and trying to put in the garden). Still going to physical therapy 3 times a week - it's a little over 100 miles each time.
Walking is a no-no right now, so I am working on potting up LOTS of seedlings for the garden. My first experience with Winter sowing was very successful. DH laughs and says it looks like I'm going to start a truck farm!
It's 80 degrees here right now, and should get warmer as the day progresses. I had to start using the ceiling fans already. I just hope we don't have a repeat of last years hot, dry Summer!
I hate being in the dark (no TV, and radio is iffy at best) about what is going on with everyone. Stay safe!!
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9027121

I saw a hawk hanging around a compost bin last week. Dh says it's a pair and they've built a nest back behind the garden. Not sure if I'm thrilled about that...none of the chickens are missing, but what happens when the hawks run out of bunnies, gophers and moles?

Ouch, I can't imagine nursing a broken foot! That must be slow to heal. Hope your up and around soon. I loved winter sowing, all those milk jugs lined up can look funny to the uninitiated :0)
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9027528

cocoa, are your chickens in a coop? penned up?

I have a few hawks around here. I have no plans of letting my chickens out.

Both hen turkeys are laying eggs. Exciting. I have never liked fresh chicken eggs cause they are too strong for me but I am trying to make myself get use to it. I don't like milk added either but...it does make a milder scrambled egg. I have not tried a turkey egg yet either.

Mama rabbit is due another litter of babes by Wednesday. I bred another female rabbit that is due two days later but it will be her first . Not sure how she will do.

I'm just working on plants , plants, and more plants, and produce veggie plants for the gardens and etc...long list of what I am doing.
Strawberries in the strawberry turvys are doing great. They are blooming.
I will attempt to germinate strawberry seeds and giant black berry seeds tomorrow. This should be interesting or cause me to grow impatient since they take a long time to germinate.

o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

March 2, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9027761

Cricket, I am sure you know more than I do about chickens and eggs, but?... Have u tried a different breed or changing feeds? That may have an effect on the flavor.

Tx, I sure hope ur foot continues to heal! That is a terrible drive when theres so much u would rather be doing. But a foot isnt like a rib or finger... Its kinda important to follow docs orders if ya like to walk and such.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9027952

I don't know of a feed that weakens the egg yoke. I know bugs make the yoke stronger. I know certain kitchen scraps will make the eggs taste differently. Such as garlic and onions...etc... I think high protein feeds make the yokes stronger but not a lot. That is all I know.

cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9029306

We've always had a fair amount of hawks and owls in the area. The older chickens are wise to staying close to cover and are nowhere to be found when hawks are around. Having a nesting pair this close is something new to me and I'll keep them penned unless I'm outside too.

This time of year our are eggs strong too, neon orange yolks, makes for strange looking omelette! I think it's the clover, some kind of bug eats the clover, then the chickens get a two fer.

Cricket are you going to sell the turkey eggs or hatch them. I'd love more, but they are so expensive around here. Hope it's the same there, they'll bring in some nice change :0)

Sue, I meant to ask the same. What do turkey poults go for in your area?
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9030087

Howdy!! Been mighty busy playing nurse, secretary and every other thing. Seems like ages since I have been here. My gardening has taken a back seat with all the health problems. DH had a toe removed. He still has stitches in his foot and underneath his foot. Has to stay off his foot still. He still goes to the hospital everyday for IV meds and 5 days a week for HBO. The trip is 45 minutes 1 way. He is in a wheel chair and has bad shoulders so he can't wheel himself. He tried going to the hospital by himself one day and had to wait 45 minutes for a transporter to push him from the front door to his HBO appointment. He didn't get home that evening until after 6. That is just too long a day with his sugar and BP problems so I have to go with him everyday to push him around. It has severely limited what I can get done in the yard and garden but it can't be helped. On the 1 day I stayed home I was able to get quite a bit done. I drove some posts and put some wire up to trellis my tomatoes and peas on. I was able (earlier) to get a hoop house over my reconfigured SFG bed. I planted a few things but we had a freeze and the soil in the hoop house was not warm enough to sprout seeds. I'll have to replant.

Tonight I am planting some tomato and herb seeds. I am trying a new concept I saw on the net for bottom heat. I put a string of Christmas lights in the bottom a deep foil roaster pan, covered them with non clumping cat litter, covered the litter with plastic wrap and set my peat pots on top of it all. The roasters have plastic covers and will work like those little Jiffy green house things. I'll let you know if it works.

Got a guy coming to get the last goat kid tomorrow. I am also giving him a roo I wanted to get rid of. It will be good having 2 less mouths to feed. Until June anyway. That is when the does are supposed to kid again. I hope I can sell the new kids much younger.

Collecting EE and bantam eggs to put in the bator. I have 10 EEs and 2 bantams now. Need another dozen total and then I will set them. Hope to sell them. I'd like to get some rabbits but likely won't be this year.

Still trying to sell another horse. I should be able to move her before long. It's almost trail riding season and she is a great trail horse. She is also fat and healthy and that is a good selling feature. I kinda hate to let loose of her but we have 4 horses and a pony and I'd like to get down to 3. If I could sell the pony and cart I'd keep her.

I'd better get to those seeds. Glad you are all doing well and escaped the bad weather. We were blessed here in our community. Places close to us did not fair so well. Several friends lost their homes.

NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9031362

I got my aronia at www.coldstreamfarm.net . They are a small nursery in michigan. I have bought from them before. They're pretty good.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9031498

Great prices Nik, Thanks for the link!
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9031932

Cajun, good to hear from you. I hope your holding up well with all the extra activities. I hate to hear about your your husband, perhaps this is best and he can get behind his health problems. I sure do hope so. ((((A big hug))) To you both.

We have about a third done with amending the garden last night, hope to get the rest done today. Everything will be going in late since I'm waiting on the lime to mellow out for two weeks.
I got 140 tomatoes potted up and another 140 to go. I don't know how you do it, Cricket!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9032029

That's a S*** load of tomatoes for a home garden! I may not do tomatoes this year, 3 years in a row of problems is discouraging.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9033502

That's what I keep thinking. lol
What is going on with your tomatoes, I know you said something about the squash bugs..are they still the problem?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9033576

The brown marmorated squash bugs will still be a problem since they haven't found anything yet to control them, organic or otherwise. They get into more than tomatoes, too... corn, melons, squash. I don't know if they have made their way to TX yet; took them 2-3 years to get here from New England.

I'm going to try a few tomatoes anyway. I'm hoping the interplanting amongst other veggies and herbs in my guild-type gardens will confuse the squash bugs and tone down some of the damage.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9035594

Morning everyone.

Looks like everyone is extra busy with gardening and farm animals and spouses and life itself. Same here.

I tried a turkey egg the other day. It was the best egg I have ever eaten. Now the turkeys can't lay enough eggs for me. I won't be selling any turkey eggs. Mine. mine. mine. I don't know much about turkeys and I haven't seen the tom turkey doing any activity accept for his pretty little dance around the hen. Not sure if the eggs are fertile and not sure if or when the hens would set a nest. They are still young and just started laying. I would assume they would need a few more months before mature enough to be fertile ???????????? guess i need to do some google search.

Darius= try growing tomatoes in containers this year. I always have better results growing in containers with new soil.

My tomatoes= too much info, too many pictures. It would take over the thread. I am doing smaller but several batches (crops) of tomatoes this year and not so many at one time so I can gradually get all the work done instead of all at one time. Most of my plants are single or double vine plants. I rarely let a plant grow into what ever it wants to.
I have 200 single vine tomato plants in 4 gallon pots and in the process of stringing them up, 50 double vine tomato plants in 4 gallon pots, 200 tomato plants that need to be transplanted into another greenhouse into grow beds and 256 younger plants that get transplanted into same greenhouse. I have 54 Better Bush and Bush Goliath tomato plants that get transplanted into a raised bed in a greenhouse and then I have another 130 Better Bush tomato plants that will go into the garden plot beds. So..890 plants for canning and selling . 16 summer squash growing in 4 gallon pots, 7 hanging cucumbers, 9 eggplants, 21 bell peppers, 6 fooled you jalapenos, etc...and more ...see...too much to list.

I have 4 new seedless grape vines potted up , 3 raspberries, 3 blue berries, one fig...I have no idea where I will plant them. I just know I wanted them.
The pear and peach trees are blooming. Apples are not ready to bloom yet.

Mama Rabbit had babies this morning. Not sure how many. Not sure if the other doe will have babies or not cause this is her first time and not sure if it took or not. Should know something Saturday. She feels a little chunky but I also gave her extra feed incase she was pg. She might just be extra healthy. Bought another Buck . So now I have 3 bucks, and 6 does. I don't want to breed anymore until late Summer.

time to work.
happy farming and gardening

porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 9, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9035624

At least with chicken eggs you can determine fertility by looking for the "bulls-eye" in the germinal disc - that little whitish spot on the yolk.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9035635

Cricket, where do you buy the large bags you grow tomatoes in? How much are they?

I dragged all my big pots of figs and blueberries out of their straw bale insulated "tent" in the barn yesterday. Mice had eaten ALL of the figs' roots and stems, and 1 or 2 of the blueberries. (Have to check 1 closely, there may still be some roots left.) The rosemary is intact, guess the fragrance didn't interest the mice, but they ate the thyme. I was SO looking forward to figs this year, since they were finally large enough!
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9035756

I have Barred rocks hatching in my incubator right now. I am home with them 'cause I have a terrible headcold that is migrating into my chest. I guess I'm in for a fun couple of days. NOT! Does anyone have any Gold Laced Wyandottes? I need about 2 dozen eggs for the incubator. They are Debbie's favourites and the eggs we bought on eBay were a disappointment as NOT 1 hatched.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

March 9, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #9035765

We lost one of our polish babies day before yesterday. That leaves 5 ducklings and 15 chicks. Don't know what was wrong, just seemed to be failure to thrive.

Darius,thats such a bummer about the figs. Argh @ mice!

Cricket, that's a lot of plants! I wish you luck.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9036244

hmmmm grow bags...I buy them from http://www.hydro-gardens.com
but I think they only sell them in bulk. I use to buy them 500 to a case. I haven't bought grow bags in a long time.
Five gallon buckets are perfect for home gardens. Buckets cost about $2 each and last much longer than grow bags.
I bought grow bags when I first started growing tomatoes for produce sales cause the bags were much cheaper than a pot or a bucket and it got the business rolling in the right direction until I could afford pots. Pots were easier to fill up with soil and was and still is quicker on a large scale.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9036247

Thanks, Cricket.

Nik, sorry to hear you are home, sick.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9037915

Darius, if you have enough wrap some branchs of the rosemary around anything we want the mice to stay out of. I think it's too strong and repels most animals. I throw down branches when my dogs start making holes.
Now if it would only repel chickens! Those feathered demons are demolishing my raised beds and dug up all my onions!
Going to get a fence up for them..it won't be pretty.

It's pouring here.YAY!

Cleaned out a barn on the back side of our property. The last time I looked in there was over ten years ago.lol Found some cool things. Not sure what I'm going to do with them, yet. About 10 or 12, homemade table type 'things'... without tops.

Was it Cricket that had raised table beds? Sorry, I may be thinking someone else?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9037945

Good tip on the rosemary, but since it's not perennial here mine never get large. This was the first time I thought to put one in the root cellar to overwinter, so now it has a head start on growth! My rosemary in Asheville were bushes over 5' tall.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9038036

That's what I was afraid of. I have one that's been getting 7' wide and starts to lodge if I don't keep it cut back. But for the life of me, I can't get another established anywhere else in the garden.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9040058

darius what kind of Figs were they ? i may be able to hook you up with some pretty good size ones. Chicago Hardy.
lots going on here this week.
potting up daylilys, astilbe and feeding chics. We got 30 chics, 5 turkeys and 3 new silkies or did i tell you all this already ?
Nik wish i could help you out but i my gold laced are mixed ? with Cucko maran. Hope you feel better soon.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9040078

Sue, one was Brown Turkey, the other 2 were Celeste, my favorite.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

March 12, 2012
9:44 PM

Post #9040520

Awesome on the new chicks taynors! I can hardly wait to get my babies out to my place and enjoy life.

I know this sounds strange but I have never ate figs except in newtons :p but I am considering planting a tree or 2.we shall see

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9040790

angi, you'll be surprised at tasting fresh figs; they barely resemble newtons at all! Occasionally I have found small baskets of them (like berries come in) at a farmer's market or Whole Foods. They are quite perishable so supermarkets usually don't carry them.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9041257

This may sound strange - and by no means is based on a scientific study - but since I have been unemployed (a few weeks now) I have noticed that I seem to get a lot more accomplished if I shut the computer off in the morning.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9041281

LOL, Don't we all?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9041491

congrats on the new chicks and turkeys taynors.

I rather eat fresh figs rather than newtons. Newtons are good if you don't have fresh. Somebody sent me some fig perserves once. It was all sugar. I bought a brown turkey fig 2 weeks ago. Still in its pot. We already have a few figs here but the previous land owner let trees grow up around the figs and to kill the tree is to kill the fig but to leave them alone means less figs. (shady) My son got out there and dug up some runner plants around the figs and ended up with 10 small plants. He wants a fig orchard.

Rosemary= that stuff grows fast! I like to smell the plant but I am not crazy about the flavor.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9041614

i have been experimenting with Pomona's pectin and hope to do some less sugar fig preserves.
darius i think at present moment all i have is Chicago hardy . but i will keep an eye out for you . i can get them at below cost .
I turned off the tv and my kids actually went outside LOLLLL
the chics are getting bigger and some are silkie's and they are getting smooshed . poor things. i think in another week or two i will have to get them in there own cage. Just have to get the turkeys out in the real world .

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9041748

Sue, I'm not against Chicago Hardy, I just am not familiar with it. BTW, I have been studying my budget to see if there's ANY way to make the ORVRU this year... so far it looks possible ONLY if I win the lottery. (Maybe I should buy tickets?) I think Cookie might give me a place to sleep, so I only need gas money.

I'll be 72 this year, so maybe not a lot of driving years left in me...

This message was edited Mar 13, 2012 8:31 PM

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9042946

that would be great darius ! hope you can make it. Her dad lives with her now, so if you don't mind a sleeper couch ?
I think we will do a fall one at Cookies ?. Her and i talked about it yesterday. i saw her and we had a girl day.
no one has mentioned the spring one yet , but i don't follow that thread much anymore myself .
i enjoy the fall ones much more IMHO.
busy day today.
i really need to get some seeds sown. i m so behind on this ... uhg.
Chicago Hardy is pretty easy , this is my first year growing it. I do have one that Ester gave me but i don't know which one it is ? . I could send you a unrootted cutting or two.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9043054

Unrooted cuttings would be wonderful!

Just got home from playing hookey all day, brought home some plants. Will post them tomorrow, too tired tonight!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2012
4:37 AM

Post #9043322

good morning
going to be a quiet day today for me.
if i can get some daylilys in the ground i might do that . got some order to fill and ship.
maybe some laundry.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9043330

what's ORVRU?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9043615

Ohio River Valley RoundUp, plant swap, everyone brings food for a lunch together, and meeting new/old friends. Usually held near Cincy. I haven't been in 3 or so years, gas prices being high.

My trip yesterday: I finally managed to get a gallon-size of the best plum I've ever tasted, Aycock's Green Leaf Plum. All I'd been able to find before were very large and expensive sizes. Plus, in quart sizes I picked up 2 Cornus Mas (a Dogwood known as Cornelian Cherry, with edible berries), both male and female Hardy Kiwi vines, 2 different Haskaps (Juneberries or Saskatoons) and 2 small sale pots of table grapes (a Concord and a white). They had some Celeste Figs, but more $$ than I could afford.

The trip was therapeutic since that area is ahead of us for spring blooms, which were everywhere! I stopped at 2 retail places on the way home and asked to take cuttings of their redbuds. Only saw them on the half of my trip closest to home/mountains, guess they don't do as well on flatter/hotter areas? I have about a dozen cuttings, hope some will root!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9044106

some of my grapes didn't make it this year. very tempting to get more ... but the budget won't allow it.
great haul darius. i saw a Hardy Kiwi at Lowes , ever hear of it ? can't recall the name ?
well today was seed starting day and chicken cleaning day. whew them beast can be messy.
i counted the silkies i had wiht the others. 10 ! uhg. so we may sell them.
if there are a trio of the partridge we will keep them.
but i don't need 15 silkie chickens in my basement LOL

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9044142

Sue, I bought TWO Hardy Kiwi vines yesterday, a male and a female (maybe you shouldn't read so fast?). Most places sell the Issai variety as it is self-pollinating, but it is less productive than most of the other varieties. Plus 1 male will pollinate up to 6 different females.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9044191

LOL yea i guess your right. i should slow down. curses to these new glasses of mine
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9045340

We are going to the livestock auction in Marysville tomorrow. I have 100 chicks to sell plus about a dozen seramas. I may sell off my Barred rock layers, but not yet tomorrow. This will be my first time at this particular auction house so it will be a learning experience for Debbie and I. Wish us luck
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9045513

Well you all should be proud, I ran errands today..
Everywhere I go they have chicks and baby ducks for sale. I look into those beady pleading eyes and tell them, "Tuff, you'll have to live somewhere else!"...Then the hubs drags me out of the stores before I change my mind.lol

Planting season is in full swing here. I always feel so behind this time of year.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9047542

Nik good luck. hope you sell all your birds and make some nice cash.
we are going to try and sell 1/2 of the chics we got. i just don't have room for 30 birds yet. i will keep 15.
did another 5 flats of seeds.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2012
9:39 PM

Post #9052274

Quick hello. I am about off to bed. Earlier than usual in the morning. Ugg
Took the plastic off my hoop house today. Onions coming up and just a couple broccoli raab. Carrots are making a good stand in the 2 big containers. Got 10 strawberries transplanted to a 20 gallon tub and plan to do 2 more tubs. Bought 9 broccoli because mine did not grow. Also 9 lettuce for the same reason. Got tomato seedlings under the lamp. Herbs are replanted because they didn't sprout the first time. Grr Seeded 18 different melons. None up yet. I see a pattern here. I have 2 1/2 dozen eggs in the bator. Temps are flucuating but it's getting better. 2 dozen EEs and 1/2 dozen bantams. Next will be bantam EE crosses. Hoping to sell most of them. I am getting 8 to 10 eggs a day from 13 hens. Selling a few. Eating a bunch. :) Wish I could get over here more often but we are still at the hospital everyday. 6 more days and it should be over. See the foot doc tomorrow. Hoping he will take some stitches out. May be referred to a kidney doc for BP.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #9053625

Dh has been rebuilding the computers here. I was worried about catching up, but it's quiet! I guess thats good, everyone out planting!

We got the beef back from the processor, have only had the ground hamburger. Amazed at how different is from store bought. Very little fat and no shrinkage..and great tasting!

Hit hard by a storm this last weekend, lost another tree to lighting. Some of my corn was washed away and waiting to see if the beans I planted right before the rain are going to rot. Have transplants coming out of my ears, but don't expect the ground will be dry enough to plant till next week.

I noticed one of the cows has ringworm, I've been putting Tinactin and Blue Star Ointment on her. Anyone happen to know if there is a cheeper farm store alternative?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9053694

Yep, it's been quiet. I've been planting, just not outside! I've a gazillion seeds "planted" so far, and the earliest ones (bulbing fennel, and sage) are looking good. The leek seeds are finally starting to germinate. Usually I buy leek plants from Dixondale but the variety they sell now doesn't do well if left in the ground all winter.

Here are some new trees, shrubs and vines I'm adding to my garden:
http://tinyurl.com/83mx2x7

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9053792

busy here also.
potting up tree's
just don't seeds started that i would like. uhg.
but we got some rain.
slow day today
nice tree's darius. those will look great.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9053812

Lynea, remember the keyhole gardens we talked about? Here's a similar idea planted with tomatoes, with a water collection ring and compost in the center...

Thumbnail by darius
Click the image for an enlarged view.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9054959

good morning
had a whoopper of a storm last night whew. shook the roof !
off and running to feed chickens
i did get two guys wanting to buy some of them so we shall see . make a bit of money on it. ?
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9055125

Good luck, Sue! Just don't buy more chicks with the money you make...it's a slippery slope.lol

Darius, that's a clever set up too!
My biggest problem right now is drainage, the field is still huge puddles. I have a few low areas that I'm thinking about keeping, then making furrows to distribute the water among the rows. Sort of a reverse of what is shown above. I've seen it done in poorer countries, where the land is flood irrigated. I always thought it looked like such a pain to set up, but most of this area seems to have it naturally happening. At least that is this weeks plan. I think it might take me years to get it set up the way I want it.lol

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9055151

Drainage is a problem here, too. Partly because of so much clay.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9055179

Ugg, I don't envy you. In hate weeding clay soil. Most of soil is sandy loam, but I'm thinking I must hae a shallow clay hardpan to be holding so much water. Then again, the last few storm were such toad stranglers, that the gopher holes at a lower elevation were bubbling up water like gysers... Is it wrong to hope a few drowned in the process?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9055279

I wish some of my moles/voles would drown!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9055500

we are getting more rain.
my garlic is growing like crazy .
this was taken several days ago and its even bigger today
her is a close up and then the last pic is a part of the garden i have been mulching with straw . I don't know if it will work to help control weeds but it works in the garlic bed ?

Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors
Click an image for an enlarged view.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9055536

Straw mulch can't hurt no matter where you put it... unless it is full of seed heads, which is about all I can dind around here.

Garlic looks good; I didn't mulch mine (didn't have any straw) so I'm sure Ma Nature has plenty of weeds planned...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9055623

this straw has plenty of seed but since i mulch so thick , i don't have much trouble with weeds but as i say that i may just have jinxed myself LOL
i have a ton of dried garlic scapes from last year. i never did get a chance to use any. if anyone one wants any LMK
well Dh is getting ready to do his trucking training by a company that hired him. A career change for him. The economy just is not still in the pits.
i was watching Alaska Pioneer . pretty good show. family that lives in ALaska and are there own people . I guess i can't complain i don't have to hunt for bear ! or moose.
TXbabybloomer
Dayton, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2012
11:10 PM

Post #9057056

Just found out the hard way - we have drainage problems too. Planted 10 rows of different kinds of bush beans, had a particularly bad rain storm that washed a lot of seeds out of the soil. I think a lot of the newly planted corn and sunflowers sunk or shifted too. We assumed since we are on a hilltop we wouldn't have this sort of problems. Ha! Just hope we don't get another gully washer till after the newly planted carrot and beet seeds are up and growing. That same storm washed a lot of the seeds I had sown in flats up. (Melons, squash, and cukes) I think that is what happened to quite a few seeds. LOL I had been wondering what happened to cause things like onions to only sprout here and there. In hindsight I should have guessed...
More rabbit fencing is up. Found out the little critters like to eat herbs. lol Had a couple of new visitors a couple of days ago. Looks like we may have to try a taller fence before the garden gets much bigger.

Thumbnail by TXbabybloomer
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9057282

Sue, those look great. I'm swiping your board and stake idea there. I noticed my rows are getting catty-whompus when adding compost and mulch. That should keep me in line :0)

Oh no, TXbb, not deer! They're so pretty, I hope you can keep them out.
I hear you about the flood, I'm still sorting out what lived and what didn't. I planted some tomatoes yesterday, the ground was still a bit damper then I would have liked. Some areas actually smelled anaerobic from being under water so long..ugg

Waiting for the vet office to open. One of the cat's head is swollen, don't see a snake bite and can't figure out what is going on. poor baby.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9057342

Poor Baby. I hate it when something happens to one of my pets.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

March 26, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9057456

Cocoa, I hope all turns out well for your cat.

Has anyone triedthe multi colored carrot? I got a pack of seeds for them and purple beans. They just look cool lol
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9057487

Kitty Foo-foo is back and vet is not concerned, tho they have no clue what happened to him any more then we do.

I've started some 'cosmic purple' this spring, but do better with fall sown carrots..so well see.
I want some of those purple podded beans as well! They are so pretty. Couldn't find any locally. Its been rather difficult to find just my normal bulk seed supply. The farm store said there was so many crop failures last year, that seeds are in shorter supply.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9057593

Here's a video worth watching. Be mindful that it is framed in the man's religion, but the gardening essences are vaild no matter your beliefs. It is also long, but if you watch all of it, you will come away with some good ideas.

I call it wood chip gardening, but that's not the name.

http://backtoedenfilm.com/
TXbabybloomer
Dayton, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 26, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9057614

Glad to hear your kitty will be OK Lulu. Strange the vet couldn't tell you what happened to the poor baby.

I haven't tried the purple carrots yet. Wasn't even sure carrots would grow here during the Summer. Just hoping to get a few this season. Saved some of the seeds to try in the Fall garden. I planted some of the Knuckles purple hull cowpeas. Also got some of the purple podded Chinese yard long beans to try. So far I haven't planted the pole beans though.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

March 26, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9057667

Im going to do a 3 sisters garden on my neighbors place, and will try the purple beans there. Im planting giant sunflowers along his fence and a few tomatoes aand peppers. On my place I still have to prepare a garden area and haven't totally decided where that will be, but am going to try a few smaall patches of different things. I also have that hugelkultur bed to put in. Another kind of bean I am interested in is okra beans. I have seen them once and they are super cool looking. But I have never been able to find the seeds.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9057668

lulu could have been stung by a hornet , scorpian or bee ?
hmmm i don't grow carrots to good. Just can't seem to get the knack of them ? seems easy enough ? kinda of a " duh " type thing to grow but for some reason my " duh" won't kick into gear ? LOL
sorry to hear of the flood TXbaby. hope things go better and no more critters for your gardens eatin''s
we have a cold snap ccoming in drop down to the mid 50's today and then a freeze tonight or tormorrow or both ?
so i m bringing in a few things. just in case.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9057763

Sue, I'm bringing a bunch of things inside too. Can't do much for the flowering fruit trees...
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9057870

Darius, I can't get the movie to load. So much for my fancy new wireless connection.lol
I'm going to see if I can order through Netflix.
We use tons of wood mulch, love that stuff. Are Asplundh trucks nationwide? I get so excited when I see them in the neighborhood.lol

As for the kitty, non of us, including the vet could find any bite or sting marks. Not that in couldn't have happen, we just couldn't see it. When they were pushing around on his head, a small section ruptured and a lot drained out. The vet said that was good, it was local, he didn't have a fever. He looks much better now that it's drained. His skin was so tight on the top of his head that his eyes were being pulled open...like a bad face lift.
He's such a big stoic goober, he purred through the entire exam. Antibiotics and watching him.

Off to look up okra beans!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9058053

I think Asplundh is nationwide... they have the contract here. My neighbor across the street works for them... do you think I can get chips dumped? LOL, rarely. They have to dump them in the driveway at the road and I have to haul them across the bridge in a wheelbarrow.

Last fall I hauled about 6-8 loads in my ancient PU at $20 a pop. I could use 15-20 chipper truck loads!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9058249

aawww the poor kitty .
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

March 26, 2012
9:13 PM

Post #9058562

The closest bean I could find was called a jjapanese yard bean. I'm not sure if its the same as what my friennds mother had aand called an okra bean or not.
TXbabybloomer
Dayton, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 27, 2012
2:56 AM

Post #9058711

I can't even imagine dealing with freezing temps now. It got into the low 90's yesterday here, and I had a ton of seeds sprouting because of it. It was suppose to get down to 60 tonight, but so far has only gone down to 68. I sure hope this is NOT an indication of another long dry hot Summer!! Coupled with very little Winter - already the bugs are making their presence known. Good thing I started lots of seeds, might not get much, once the critters have their fill! lol

I have never heard of okra beans before. Did some Googling and could only find okra pods. Hope someone else shares the info if you find them. Did find a recipe for okra and butterbeans that sounded pretty good though.

Some of the seeds I planted were a good 12 years old. I am so glad that they have germinated. I am really looking forward to having some nutmeg melons again. Yum.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9058841

I couldn't find anything called 'okra bean' either.
Angi, if it looked close to a yard bean, it was probably related. Asian Yard longs and asparagus beans are the same species as southern peas (black eye, crowder, cream). All southern peas once had long vines, but have been bred shorter over the years. So she could have had an old variety that is now longer in production. I'll keep my ears clean, if I hear of "okra bean' I'll let you know!

TXbb, I got sidetracked looking at okra recipes too :0) The heat has been scary, I really don't want a repeat of last year!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9058867

Whew, no frost overnight, but we still have tonight to watch.

I don't care for okra, and sure hated picking it when I was a kid. I've heard if you slice raw okra, sprinkle on some salt and Parmesan and dehydrate them, that it's a tasty snack.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9059293

we didn't get much of a frost either. it did get down to 30 this morning a bit chilly. LOL
i grow okra for the flowers LOL
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9059314

Aww, I love okra as long as it's not stewed or boiled.lol

I don't know if I should wish for ya'll to warmer or not...how about wishing you don't loose any crops :0)

Darias, I finally got the film loaded. Thank you, I'm glad I watched it! I used far more Ruth Stout type methods when growing flowers then I have with the veggies. I don't know why I thought it would be harder with the veggies, just never seen it done. The film has inspired me to work smarter. Got a few loads of compost moved before I got too hot :0)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9065733

I just saw on the Prayer Forum that (Sue) Taynors' daughter has been the victim of a brutal crime. The poster didn't say if it is the young daughter who is at home, or the older, grown daughter. Either way, let's send best wishes for Sue and her family in this tough time.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1250034/

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9065753

It was the older one, Jessica.. Said she was 21..Terrible thing.. The article in the newspaper was horrific.

larkie
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

April 1, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9065812

I will be praying. So sad!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9065873

I remember Sue mentioning her a few times. Did she live near Sue? I will surely be praying for the family. It is hard to know how to pray when you don't know much but God knows all things and He is almighty.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9069487

UPDATE: Sue's daughter is dead, murdered by her boyfriend and 4 other guys.
http://allthingsplants.com/thread/view_post/235412/
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9069597

Dear Lord, that is so horrible. I am glad they have been caught and will pay for their crime. I cannot even begin to know how you start to process something as awful as that. I pray comfort and peace from God for Sue and her family.
TXbabybloomer
Dayton, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9070925

There can't be anything more devastating than losing a child, no matter what age they are. Sue certainly has my heart and prayers for her family right now.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9071117

Hello friends
i want to say thank you for all your kind words and prayers.
we are so humbled with all the love that is given to us by all the DGers .
i just wanted to make a quick hello and a deep deep " thank you" to all of you.
hugs
sue and family
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9071320

You are so very welcome. We love and appreciate you. Prayimg God comforts you and helps you all to heal.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9071336

April is a new month and we have a new thread.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1250810/

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9071743

Sue, many thoughts and prayers for you and your family..

Larkie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Homesteading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
Ways to "Live off the land", share your ideas PeggieK 149 Mar 25, 2010 10:10 AM
Looking for possible partners in a homestead darius 71 Mar 24, 2012 3:49 PM
Explain makshi 49 Aug 6, 2008 2:36 PM
Ducks vs. Chickens nivlac 85 Apr 23, 2013 6:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America