Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Central Midwest Gardening: March 2012 in like a lamb!

Communities > Forums > Central Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Central Midwest GardeningReplies: 99, Views: 693
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #9027031

But right now, not so much, it is snowing, yesterday it was 72! It's not sticking to walks and streets, but it's in the grass for now, it's 36 right now and gonna be 46 at 3pm. I took a photo a few minutes ago.
But, this will be a Winter, (or lack of..lol) to remember thats for sure, I think it snowed twice!

Yeah, for years it always seemed like tornados mostly go thru rural areas, like fields and destroy barns and stuff but now it seems like they are coming right thru towns unfortunately. I was watching the mayor of Branson and how pitiful it looks. You kinda know all the tourism of Branson, big names and wealth but did you know it only has a population of 10,500, it's still a small city. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branson,_Missouri If it wasn't for Branson, Missouri's tourism would be down there. I used to marvel in the World Almanac how Missouri's tourism was up there from Branson, fortunately, tourism adds nicely to the state's revenue. I am sure Branson will recover in plenty of time to entertain people this year. I'm sure misery isn't limited to Missouri, poor people. By The Way, misery and Missouri don't rhyme, so you know!

Here is my newly started Spider Plant starts and some Wandering Jew starts made the photo too, in the back, they all look like they want water, I'll water them soon.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9027038

I made the trip! YEA
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9027048

It's not very far from Tulsa, your closer to Branson than I am. Would you still like a Rose-of-Sharon start, Crit? I have a big cutting in a pot but it doesn't have foliage right now, not sure if it took. I could send you a piece of this ROS though.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #9027344

I took some photos of where I plan to put all the rocks I got. I'll probably stop doing that eventually, getting free rocks is against the law I think, a friend says I'm going to jail if I keep doing it, he's just teasing me, he's a rock stealer himself, he was telling me a good place to get Shale rocks. Anyway, it looks like I got enuff rocks to do maybe half right now. These rocks look so much better than just black landscape edging. I'm not taking the edging up, it needs to be there to keep the mulch in, I'm just covering the edging up with rocks. I plan to put rocks on the inside of the edging too but I want to put down weedblock first in there. I took a photo of them before I unloaded them out of the car, I think that was the first time I had passengers in the backseat, buckets of rocks, 3 buckets in the front and 5 buckets in the back! I knew I'd find a use for empty kitty litter jugs!

I downloaded some more pics from the 16 megabyte internal memory of my camera to the computer, so I just wanted to share another 2 geese photos from way up on a hill we climbed at Squaw Creek NWR, all the white is geese. My old camera is pretty wimpy on the memory card, it's only 256 megabytes, most new cameras hold much more, 4 or 8 gigabytes, about 16 or 32 times as much as mine.
That is the main parking area for onlookers, there's maybe 5 cars there, not many visitors to the park. It is only 5 minutes or so West of I-29 in or near Mound City, Mo. Lots of picnic tables but there is no camping there. If I'd known that climb way up was so steep, I don't think I'd have done it, you almost need a rope to tie to everybody in case somebody falls! But, the view from up there was spectacular.
Oh, and there is definitely no hunting there, if you get out a gun just plan on going to jail! They do have managed hunts there at certain times though. That water in the back is like the water suppty to drain and fill the water basin at certain times of the year I think.

This message was edited Mar 3, 2012 12:17 AM

Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 2, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9027381

It did.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9028131

Yes Will, I would love a ROS start. Do you know what color it is? My address is in the address exchange.

Not going to say Thanks 'cause I want it to live, but you know what I mean. ^_^
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9028883

Great Crit, it is the traditional pink flowers. Here is a photo of it before I had to cut it considerably because it was too close to the house.
You know, we both can't have bad luck, I bet it lives just fine for you!

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9028892

I don't have a pink one so that is PERFECT!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #9030214

Great!
Where can I find the address exchange? I did a DG search for address exchange and still can't find it.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2012
12:52 AM

Post #9030292

Exchange Address:

http://davesgarden.com/address_exchange/

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9030390

Thanks Rusty. You have to be in there to view it, I put the North Pole, just kidding!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9030692

LOL ... I keep the address exchange and a few other links in a folder I made for DG stuff and put it in my bookmarks.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9031137

Final my peach tree blooming yesterday very pink and a lot of it... Hope it won't get windy blowing again as last year windy blew all of the flowers and no peach at all... Cross my fingers for this year!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9031481

Sorry Rusty, winds kicking up tomorrow. Wind advisory already out for tomorrow. Hopefully they blossoms stay on!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9031673

Ack! These winds, every time I would like to spray paint a shed outside it is gonna be very windy! The temperature is supposed to be decent - 72 but a 40 mph wind won't be good for spray painting, I'm not really wanting to paint my glasses! I forgot to look at my Peach tree, I didn't know that about blowing the flowers off. I don't think mine is blooming like that yet though.
I only noticed my Forsythia had big buds.

That's a good idea, Crit, I put it in my favorites too now. I oughta do that with Garden Watchdog, every time I want to look at it, I have to search for it, I'll put it in my faves too next time.

Here is my 2 dumpster dives of Shumard Oaks from the state nursery, planted at my grandparents' house, what they look like recently. I photographed that Black Hills Spruce in the foreground too hehe, I planted it too, it's came from Lowes about a year after the Shumards in 2004 but it has grown tremendously too. I impose plants on folks!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2012
4:23 AM

Post #9032983

I've been reading to keep up, but get off the computer early to get housework and exercising done. Soon I'll be walking around town as soon as the sun comes up. I walked a half mile yesterday waiting for DD to drop the kids off. Before that I got the house vacuumed. After everyone left, I walked the yard to see most of my tulips poking thru, then I sat on the porch and just listened to Spring blow around me. I saw a robin too! I also have a new small stack of flower catalogs to look at :o)

The tornadoes have been just terrible! I've thought about a lot of people lately and am glad no one has damage. I fear what our weather will bring this year. If we don't have a tornado I will so count my blessings!

I mixed up a batch of sweet dough the other day and made rolls out of it. Yum! I could keep the dough in the fridge, so I made two batches. It felt good to do something other than the computer :o)

Today I go to DD's for the day, so I have to get offline early again.

Have a good day everyone!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9033344

I just saw this article about spiders working together to build tall webs and webs that cover whole fields. Makes me shudder!!

http://www.gadling.com/2012/03/06/spiderwebs-blanket-australian-tourist-stopover/
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9033885

Wow, that's amazing. I saw that too at Yahoo - http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/thousands-spiders-blanket-australian-farm-escaping-flood-165958059.html
They are trying to escape floodwaters it says. They also have a photo of them doing that in Pakistan. Man, that's creepy! I have a phobia or something on spiders, one is okay, but like that?!
If I fell on all that or was pushed or something, I'd lose my mind!

Tornados are a scourge. Now, when the wind is really howling and blowing hard at nite, you think sometimes, "is this it, is that a tornado?". The victims of tornados must sleep with one eye open for awhile.

Sally, don't sweat being busy.
We have until Monday to organize outside, the city is on us again. I have already started doing stuff in a big way. We got us a neighbor (or neighbors) somewhere that is giving the city a tonguelashing about us. I'm gonna have to go around to all the neighbors and give out lollipops or something! Maybe that neighbor felt shunned when I didn't go to the door last Halloween, when his kid was yelling "trick-or-treat" in the dark, the porch light was OFF! I have no doubts that we can avoid being fined. It's just not easy starting out from a mess and trying to do some real decent landscaping in a few days. It'd be different if you were going from a clean slate to being landscaped, then you can tell there is progress being made. When you already have many years of accumulation of just stuff, and some half finished projects in AND out, already in place, it isn't quite so easy and fast to pull off completion by one's self outside, in a few days. But, I should be able to do it, I'd be suprised if we get fined. I'm not the type to thumb my nose at the cityhall and just let fines pile up, I like to avoid, not rebel. I have alot to do by Monday, but, it's under control, I've already been to the landfill yesterday and emptied the full trailer and filled it back up on the way back with a yard and a half of cedar mulch. What stinks, is there is stuff I'd like to do but not until it gets warmer, like spray paint the shed and do some planting, which I may need to do by Monday now. I'll have a heck of an after photo in a few days! Oh, how I miss a rural area! Not that I'd have a mess, but I could work outside at my own steenking pace!
Oh well, such is life!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2012
2:41 AM

Post #9034210

Pepper,
Yikes! I've never seen anything like it!

Will,
Smiling. I would freak if they were poisonous. I would do a lot of shrieking and brushing if they weren't. Either way, I'll just look at the pictures :o)
We go to bed with trepidation, but we hope we hear the tornado siren or the weather radio alert!
It sounds like ''natural'' messes. I'd complain if garbage was blowing in my yard, but not because someone couldn't get a shed painted in time. Show them the paint and tell them it's as good as done.
Smart move bringing back mulch :o)
It's easy to pick up pots and set them pretty along the wall. Stack any wood all in one place, and I can't imagine what else is a mess. Anyway, there is a way to make it look neat if it can't be hidden inside.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9035113

Hi all,
Yeah, it's all items strewn about and just a disorganized look, no trash. Our front and back yards are the only ones in sight with a fence, nothing of ours blows anywhere, even if there was trash. In our case, it's alot of leaves still on the ground. They couldn't blow anywhere but I'm sure it looks bad, I raked up another 5 yard waste sacks today. Today, I also put down about 60 feet of weed fabric.
I'd say total, I have 25 bags already raked up, there's at least another 15 or 20 to yet.
Thanks, their proud of 1 and a half yards of mulch but it's easily worth the $64. In the photo you can see the cedar mulch waiting in the trailer and the new 60 feet or so of black weed fabric in the background to the left. There's just alot of stuff still sitting around. The bad thing about what to do with all my non-decorative black pots is they're full of dirt and something. The bad thing is if I knew what was in them, if worth keeping or not. I can't tell what's in a lot of them because there's no foliage yet. What I'll prolly end up doing is just getting alot of it outta sight until a better time to deal with the stuff.

So far, I'm happy with the plants that are popping up so far, this should be a good year for plants.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Sally. There will indeed be some of that hiding.

Ahem.. edited to say I think I was wrong about bagged mulch versus bulk mulch. Out of curiousity, I went to homedepot.com and looked up what a bag of mulch goes for. There it is $3.47 a bag for 2 cubic feet of mulch, so 1 cubic foot, (which is easier for me to figure, is $1.74). A cubic yard is 27 cubic feet, so 27 x $1.74 is $47 and another half of a yard of mulch is $24 roughly, $71 total plus tax for bags!? I must be wrong somewhere! It is almost the same as getting it in bulk like I did! I had to hook that trailer up and all that! Anyway, I never was good at math in school, I think I was average at best. Is my math right? Can anyone help?
I deleted out the part up there where I declared bulk mulch was so much cheaper than bagged mulch! I'm gonna have to tell this mulch guy my findings! I am likely gonna need another 1.5 cubic yards of mulch, I'm gonna tell him $50 total plus tax or the deal is off!

This message was edited Mar 8, 2012 10:35 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2012
3:44 AM

Post #9035415

29/44/31
Plenty of sunshine. Winds NNE at 10 to 15 mph.

Will,
Those black pots, neatly lined up will not look trashy. Surely that isn't against city code. Same for the rest. Line it up, stack it, and hide some of it till you need to use it.

I don't do math. It confuses my brain, LOL. YOur figures sound right tho. It doesn't seem fair that the transfer station charges so much for what is obviously free to them.

It's Friday and I don't have the boys over the weekend. Time to get some things done outside! I really need to clean out the garage. If I can find the pots I need, to put astilbe in, the job will get done faster. I have so many taquetti that must have come from seed. It's time to share with the neighborhood. The phlox is getting out of hand too. Trouble is, I love every seedling that grows, LOL!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9036273

Will, can't you get mulch from the city? I thought they gave away mulch all the time.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9036274

Plenty of sunshine here too. Ironically, it's in the 70's most days next week, (good weather, but we only have until Monday to straighten out the yard, unfortunately). And Sunday is 100% chance of rain they say.
I raked some today, until I ran out of yard waste sacks. There's alot left to do, but it's under control. I even did some spray painting on the black plastic landscape edging today. I've had an aerosol can of beige rustoleum for years and I finally thought of something to do with it so the edging kinda blends in with my roadside rocks! This way, I'll feel better about not using so many rocks. I got a photo of the monstrosity below.

Here is my 'Red Haven' Peach tree buds, they haven't bloomed yet. You can see alot of the items in the background that I'm gonna put in sheds and in the garage there.

Yeah, the landscape materials place gets mulch and stuff much cheaper I'm sure. I believe they use a dump truck to get big loads then they sell it retail.
I'm prolly gonna tell him you can get bags of mulch for nearly the same price, with no trailer, soil and rocks are prolly the same too.

I took a photo of the side of the shed that I plan to repair with a new 4 x 8 sheet of wafer board, that side is by far the worst of all the sides. A sheet of wafer board will be enuff to do that side, the walls are only 4 feet high, I'll cut the board in half.

You need pots, Sally? I have plenty of pots! Hehe.. that's maybe half of them. I've been asked what I collect, I should say pots!

This message was edited Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9036281

I just threw away a bunch of mine. I wish we could recycle them at the recycling centers. I hate throwing them away but I had more than I need.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9036427

Oh, I just saw that I didn't upload a photo with the rocks I used!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9038255

I wish you guys were closer to me, I'd LOVE the black pots!!!!!!!!!!! I gather what I can from the gardening centers, but can always use more! AND, I live in the country and can put them anywhere I darn well please! lol
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9038564

LOL. I would put my pots everywhere except my dad would kill me. So I try to keep some so I can put new plants in them til I find homes but the rest are given away or thrown away.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9038667

Sure, I'd give you some pots, Crit! About 7 years ago, I aspired to start a landscaping business, I acquired all this stuff and pots was one of them, I probably have 200 in different sizes.
Then reality happened and I was unfortunately taking all this stuff with me, I didn't want to part with it. Luckily for me, I've always been able to somewhat store them, I just didn't have an immediate use for them.

The landscaping is real busy in the backyard and will look a bit messy until someday. Here tho, when a neighbor doesn't really care for you, you kinda get your knees chopped!
A pessimistic, hateful eye from a distance probably sees a bunch of clutter and trash. I hope I am here to go out there when the yard inspector comes tomorrow, I'll add something like, "I know the neighbor doesn't like me, but I've always been working on the yard slowly but surely". Then again, I'll probably just be like, "yes sir (or ma'am), no sir (or ma'am) thanks"! Lots of stuff probably just looks like trash scattered throughout the yard. The filthy clear plastic sheet that was still over the waterpond looked like trash I'm sure and I like to leave the labels on retail plants, that prolly looks like trash everywhere and that old dilapidated shed prolly raises eyebrows and I plan to repair it when finances and everything allows. Here's a few photos of the backyard in progress. It's not fast enuff for somebody I'm afraid! I won't get all scathing or anything on the neighbor, unfortunately, we just don't speak. I'm okay with the interest, I don't let it get to me or anything, it is a challenge! Someday, this yard will have gone from "worst to first" then what will they say?! I'll never be fined, I know what to do to avoid a fine, pick it up a little temporarily.
Yesterday, our friend said something funny, she says, "look, he done dug holes and put the buckets in holes". Stuff must look all messed up..lol I put the buckets in the holes to try to keep the Bamboo roots in control..haha!

And running around getting pots that have blown everywhere is a fulltime job here! lol

Does anyone know if a Peony can be dug up and put somewhere else? There is this nice Peony in my friend's yard that is in full shade and I know it could be alot prettier if it was in the sun.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2012

Post #9038668

Here's those, "buckets in holes"..lol I just laughed before I told her why!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9039466

The above photo wasn't such a good photo of inground buckets, here is a better one from the other day. That chair is back under the table, I was raking..lol
Several plants from Pepper are doing foreground duty in that pic with the weedfabric. Ever seen so many yard waste sacks full of leaves, and I'm not done raking!?
There's that black mulch, I think it angered folks!
I might dig that Peony up today, it rained so the ground is soft.

Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

March 12, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9039906

Well, Bad New for my dog Rusty is put to sleep and gone to Dog Heaven now...

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9040038

Sorry to hear about Rusty.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9040140

Awww, what happened to him? Sorry to hear that he is gone.

Will, peonies are tough. Dig it up and if it's big enough and you want more split it. Just make sure to have 3-5 eyes per division or more.

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

March 12, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9040182

He got meaner and snap my dog JuJu... So, he is 9 yrs old and I never forget about Rusty where I got him in Calif and adopt him in 2003... So, I can't handle with him anymore that he get meaner...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9040191

That's too bad. You did what you thought was best even though it's heartbreaking.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9040223

Thanks, that Peony is big and old. It shouldn't be a problem to be sure and get that many eyes, it is neglected there, around the corner by itself, my roommate says she doesn't like it, but I do.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9040230

You should do a row of it. Big impact that way.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9040266

It's not easy to make a decision like that with a pet. My friend here would rather have a problem pet than deal with it. I told her I don't want to take the carpet up to reveal the hardwood floors while that cat is here going to the bathroom on the floors, he'd ruin the wood. But, the floors might already be stained from years of that cat and other cats soiling in the past.

Good idea on the Peony, thanks, I might be able to do that. It should be sprouting up thru the ground soon, so I'll know where to dig.
Maybe a row about 5 feet long?

I started 72 pellets in my nifty Jiffy Greenhouse today, 4 rows of Sugar Snap Peas, 7 rows of tomatos and a row of Cat Grass. Here's my nifty Greenhouse in all of it's glory!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 13, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9041665

Here is my new $8 GardenPlus water sprayer from Lowes, it comes in handy for spraying the heck out of new starts since you don't really want to pour water on them, I'm always afraid I'll uproot them myself. I saw an Ortho sprayer being used for that purpose in a video online that I watched on how to start Spider Plant babies, thanks Picket Fence Nursery in Iowa! This sprayer is more Ideal, it's smaller than a one gallon sprayer by more than half, it's cheaper and it doesn't have a hose and nozzle to break like my Ortho sprayer did. I only intend to have water in mine, no chemicals. It's more for a dirtier area like a basement or mudroom because it's apt to spray walls if you're not careful, like I'm not..lol

Here is Rudy the cat looking on, she is very photogenic!

This message was edited Mar 13, 2012 8:27 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 13, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9041762

When you plant the peonies try to plant them close enough that they can support each other some. They look better if they are holding each other up. Just try to remember how big around they tend to get on average and plant that far apart. I think they get about 3 feet around. I think. lol
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 13, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9041809

Ok, thanks Pepper, I'll likely be doing that, it sounds cool. Well, I finally did some finishing touches on some unfinished projects outside, no better time I guess! One is my Shade Garden and the other is along the driveway. In both I tried to keep the mulch thin enuff around where plants are so the plants can get thru, they're pretty small still.
The Water Irises from happ are the first to complement the pond with green. I want to do some modifications to that pond. I want to take the liner out, clean it and do some things like dig where all that liner shows on the upper right, I still don't know why I did that! I don't like seeing that much liner, I think I planned on setting a pot or something there, which is a stupid idea of mine because it could puncture the liner. I'd just generally like to reposition the liner a little because I kinda cut a little too much liner on the left side. I'd like to try to do anything possible to give it a larger appearance, it is more like a puddle, but even puddles are so much work!!
I got a lotta mulch to put down yet! See the 'Veronica' Speedwell in the mouth of that blue fish?!
Shine on Colorado Blue Spruce 'Globosa'!

This message was edited Mar 13, 2012 9:29 PM

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9042113

49/77/56
Morning sunshine will give way to isolated thunderstorms this afternoon. Warm. Winds SSW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

I've done all my jobs except digging up plants. It's too soon for that. It felt good to get the iris cleaned off and the borer control down the day before we got rain. Awesome timing with Mother Nature!

I'll bet the neighbors think you just have black plastic laying all over, and think it will blow into their yards.

Pots and then some, LOL! I don't have that many big ones, but I do have many little one's I start tomatoes, peppers and flowers in.

If you have extra plants, pot them up and set them out front with a free sign like I do :o)

Yep, the shed just needs a whole new sheet. It's worth it's weight in gold, so you never want to let a shed go. I'm so happy my neighbor is going to have her shed roof redone. If not, it's going to fall in. It has a root cellar inside. I'd LOVE to have it!

Laughing, I wondered whaere the picture was. The edging looks really good painted!! Good idea!

Looking at the first picture, I do see a mess. Sorry, but I do. It's easily tidied up tho. It's not something I would turn into an inspector tho.

Otherwise, look at all the work you have done over the last few years. Get some of the mulch down on the smaller areas and it will look better immediatly. Then the inspector will see what you are working towards.
Yes, you cn move peonies. Dig wide and deep. Lift it out carefully. You will still have large vbroken roots, but it should make it.

Oh Rusty!
I am so so sorry you had to put your dog down. I agree with him being mean tho. I will miss him for a long time :o(

Will,
I like the ''greenhouse'' and spray bottle. I too bought a nice mister bottle so I can not drown my seedlings.
Well, look how nice the mulched area looks and I love the speedwell in the fish!

DH just got back from his walk. The sun is just up and it's my turn to go.

Have a great day everyone!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9043101

The high here was 83 today! It was like Summer, they said it smashed the old record high and the record low (high) fell too. I worked outside aplenty today.

The yard inspectors already came Monday, they just bug-eyed out of the police car windows and didn't get out, I'm sure they saw enuff progress. Oh, the main pavement part back there is clear now, I took a photo of it today, it's decent enuff. Oh yes, Sally, I agree, it is/was a mess. If I can just keep the neighbors off of me long enuff, I might be able to get it done. I am lucky I got away with my procrastinating landscaping project of a backyard this long! Elbow grease is really gonna be going a long way on this backyard.

I may just do that, set freebie plants out for neighbors, tho I'm not too keen on some of them.

Haha, yeah that black plastic does prolly worry them, it doesn't budge tho, it's all stapled down with garden staples! The nice hispanic lady next door told me yesterday that they were told who called on them, it was the neighbors behind them, you know what they said? They said they had so many weeds that wild animals were coming into they're yard from the weeds. I think she said they also told the police that they are growing marijuana in they're backyard, which they aren't..lol Actually, I think they might've said that about us because of those inground buckets of P. Davidii Bamboo, it resembles it I think.

How about this Speedwell 'Veronica' putting on quite a show with little purple flowers! Oh, Pepper, they separated my 2 orders from the state nursery, the Hazelnut bundle arrived today, the Dogwoods arrive next week, she said, when I called to ask them what's going on. Some so and so at UPS or something broke the tallest one in the bundle because it stuck out more I guess, maybe they won't do that to the Dogwoods. This photo of the Hazelnuts will give you an idea of they're size, they're kinda small. They sent me a deceptive notecard saying that one of my orders was "unavailable" so I panicked and called them and they had worded it wrong, all they meant was they had to separate the 2 bundles for some reason. I'll mail it to you hopefully next week.

This message was edited Mar 14, 2012 9:19 PM

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9043102

In this photo I believe is 2 Soapworts, in the fish and next to the rocks/pond, and that up right is a Creeping Phlox, I have 2 of them, they are nice too, I cleaned them all up around the 2 for when they bloom the solid purple/pink/lavender color. In the water is the biggest of the two Water Irises from happ, tho they both grow like gangbusters in the warm temperatures.
Thanks Sally, on the compliments on my greenhouse, spray bottle and fish! : )

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9043645

Just catching up on the thread.

Rusty, I am so sorry about your dog. It's a sad thing but sometimes it is for the best.

Will, I can't believe the neighbors you have around there. I don't know about the neighbors yard with the tall grass, but it is obvious you are working on your yard. I consider it "organized chaos". lol Some people have nothing better to do than stick their nose in other people's business. I'm glad there were no adverse affects to you on their report.

I have started 2 Jiffy gardens, 2 flats of 2" pots and about 56 jugs of ws'ing. Still have a few more to do even though we have not had a 'winter'! UGH. I just figure they will make good terrariums to start my seeds.

We are going to be between 76* and 82* for the next 7 days. It is beautiful weather to work in the yard. I am leary of cleaning the leaves out of my flower beds because we are notorious for March and April winter storms. I'll just wait a little while longer.

I too have a peony I have to move. It is just coming up so will be a good time to do it. It is too close to a tree and doesn't get the water it needs because the tree soaks it up.

Have a great day everyone!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9044109

Yeah, they are quite a bit different than the neighbors on Leave It To Beaver. I think they are racists back there myself. Those hispanic neighbors are health conscious and law-abiding citizens that got the complaints on them. I know the husband is a weight-lifter and would never grow marijuana either. I think they've been complained on several times for frivolous stuff. They've kinda given up, there is some noticeable trash in their yard now. She told me the other day that they're moving to Florida. I never noticed they're weeds high, I think they were getting told on after only missing a week or 2 of not mowing the grass, I've never seen it more than 6 inches high or so. I liked those neighbors too, they were the only ones I liked, I gave them toys for their first infant about 8 mos. ago.

I got another mini-greenhouse today at Walmart for $3.50. It's the traditional 72 cell kind you fill up with soil. Fyi, I wouldn't recommend the pellet mini-greenhouse for anything but tiny seeds like tomato seeds, my Pea seeds are bigger, and they roll off the pellets when the pellets soak in water, the Pellets aren't flat anymore, maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I give my 2 cents anyway! lol.

Oh good, I won't be the only one digging up a Peony! I'm gonna have the wheelbarrow nearby when I dig up the Peony!

Yeah, I too am skeptical that it's going to stay warm 24/7 until May or so.

"Organized chaos" is a good description of the yard here! : )

Will
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9044252

Will, your neighbors would just die if they saw my yard. lol. I haven't trimmed any of my mums and other plants yet for spring. I did start on the mums yesterday but the heat got to me so I quit. Didn't get very far either. lol.

No hurry on the dogwood. I haven't even told anyone it's coming. lol.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9044281

The Dogwoods are on the way! I got a notecard from them saying they're coming. They are good about notecards.

Yeah, a rural area would be nice. Here is one little Ligularia 'Midnight Lady' coming back up, the other one may not have made it.
Boy, that Speedwell Veronica 'Georgia Blue' is really putting on a show. My 2 'Bruce' Semi-Dwarf Plum trees have nice white flowers on them. The 'Red Haven' Semi-Dwarf Peach tree has nice pink flowers itself.
Will

This message was edited Mar 16, 2012 4:02 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2012
10:56 PM

Post #9045715

My 2 Mums survived the Winter in pots even. I think that's kinda neat, now I'll have Mums in the Fall. It HAS been warm and muggy lately. I was digging and stuff with my wheelbarrow, it was some warmish work, I too can relate about the temperatures lately, Pepper.

Well, my friend has pulled rank on me again about the landscaping, today. It's all good now, we compromised, I agreed to remove the black mulch and do some other changes in order to keep the major
landscape mulching job by the waterpond. I agree, the black mulch is a bit hideous. It's going to make the ac unit work even harder when it's hot. And I think black mulch is kinda out anyway.
I shouldn't have put it down to begin with. I didn't argue with her, it's her house, and I want a place to live. She's not entirely happy with the huge area that I want to mulch, but I was persistent with my groveling and crying! All kidding aside, I think I succeeded in convincing her that it will look nice, which I think it will. She hadn't been out there in a while, since we recently needed to congregate back there for the inspector visit, to her dismay, she saw how big and major my landscaping plans are.

Here is the Blue Flag Iris from Imames (1 of 2 pots from her bulbs) and the big red pot of Ditch Lilies from happ, both from the Fall RU in Oct. 09 in Parkville, MO.
How about this closeup of a flower on my 'Red Haven' Semi-Dwarf Peach tree? In this photo way up in the background is the Red Lily that I got from Pepper, the 2 in the front are a Speedwell Veronica 'Georgia Blue' on the front right (not in the water) and left of that is a Lavender 'Munstead'. That single, small lavender is quite fragrant, I can easily smell it when I'm close.
The Lavender's label is funny, it's talking about "Lavender on the table from Mable" or something like that! I don't want to eat no steenking Lavender, it's a nice landscaping plant!
And the biggest of the 2 Water Irises from happ, it's turning green and growing fast, those 2 plants are about twice that big now.
Speaking of happ, whenever you get to Independence/Sugar Creek, come on over and I'll give you that striped Wandering Jew start basket. About 3 weeks ago I put 5 or so more cuttings of it in the pot, it is big with Wandering Jew cuttings! I should be getting very close to a finished backyard, (I've kinda been hurried along..lol), I'll give you a tour!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

March 19, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9048751

Hello, this is old Rusty56 and I got new usename is JuJu55...

I has no power for 30 min... that happen I was at Walmart and got power went off...

Here's the newspaper said:

http://www.joplinglobe.com/topstories/x426444997/Empire-Outages-due-to-transmission-line-failure

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9049354

Like the new name. :~)

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2012
4:12 AM

Post #9049774

61/80/60
Through 10am: Scattered showers and thunderstorms developing by 7am. Mostly cloudy with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the low 60s. Winds SSE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 45%.
Today: Showers and a few thunderstorms likely. A few storms may be severe. Winds SSE at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Sorry to get so far behind lately. I read everything, but need to keep moving.

It's been busy here. I get out and walk early, then I get right to weeding. I've spent all day outside this week and am loving it! I've never seen so much chickweed tho! It's just everywhere! Dandelions too, but that's every year. I've about got all the small beds done. Just have the three largest to do.

I've also got the asparagus beds cleaned off and weeded. Since we aren't getting much rain we've started to water it and the rhubarb.

I've been reading the ''Farmers Almanac'' predictions for March and April. I think we're going to slide into spring without a hard freeze.

Will.
Love all the pictures! The peach is gorgeous!
When everything blooms, bring your friend to the yard and sit down with her. Slowly point out how pretty the flowers are and how nice the pond sounds. She will come around.

Ju,
I like the new name too, but I will never forget Rusty.

Well, I have more catching up to do and since we ate all the leftovers, I need to clean vegetables for a week of salads :o)

Have a wonderful day everyone!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9050071

Here is a Dieffenbachia, I hope that planter isn't too big, it was free!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9050072

Hi JuJu, cool name. I'll never forget Rusty either, I think I even gave him a pet at the RU in Fall 2009. A while back I changed my name too, from Shortleaf2005 to my current one shortleaf, it was shorter, easier for me to remember at login time..lol
If one was to do an "advanced" search of that name a few old time threads even come up. - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/search.php?st=Adv&forum=&q=&forum_ids%5B%5D=0&limit_poster=Shortleaf2005&dl=0&dl-rel=0&sort-type=0&sort-order=0&Search=Search+Forums
I even see a few old friends were in those posts.

Here is that Ligularia 'Midnight Lady', it has sprang up fast, as alot of plants have with the recent warm temperatures and now rain.
The last time the Speedwell Veronica bloomed was the best, unfortunately, that was about twice as good as the last photo up there, I didn't get a photo, and the rain I think helped them stop blooming nice. It bloomed real nice for about 3 days then flowers drooped and gone..boohoo!
Boy, this rain is really piling up! Here is my waterpond taking in a bunch of water and letting it out the back, about like I wanted. I still need to dig a better "trench" for a stream of water to drain out the back. I got photos this morning while there was a lull in the raining, even at the end of my picture taking the rain had picked up and I couldn't keep the camera out much longer. The 2 Water Irises are really growing in the pond, there is a hardy waterlily plant down there in the pond, I'm still waiting on it, I hope it's alive! I looked at some "feeder goldfish" at the pet store last night when I was getting my lizard some crickets. Feeders are cheap and they get BIG, there is no guarantee on them, but they are dirt cheap. They eat mosquitos, that is another big reason I want them, my friend here loathes mosquitos. Speaking of Lennie the Lizard, here he is in all his glory! He appears to be watching some crickets that have gathered on top of the little cactus in there. That cactus is incredibly needley, I can't believe the quickness and ease everything crawls on it, even the lizard runs right over it unscathed seemingly, and he/she sits on it. Maybe the crickets think they're safe up there but not from Lennie! I just dump all 30 or so crickets in there at the same time, I think they live longer in there with potatoes cut in half for food and moisture, they love that, and Lennie has to eat too! There is usually a gang of crickets sitting on the cut potatoes at all times!

Speaking of Asparagas, ever seen an Asparagas Fern about 4 feet long, (it's on the top left)? Eeek, weeds, dangit, I hope they aren't worse than normal! I too, foresee a lot of weeding!
I've put down 4 rolls of weed fabric so far.

I couldn't believe how fast the seeds in my pellet starter sprouted. I wanted to take those Peas out of there before they sprouted but I was too late. I wanted to get them out because they roll off the pellets too easily, but roots will definitely hold them in!
Will

This message was edited Mar 20, 2012 10:37 AM

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9050652

I need to check on my liguaria. I hope it has come back this year. I know my Sweet Tea huechera is springing back to life and my other 2 look good too. I need to get a Japanese Maple in there soon so I can have some shade. Just might have to get a few medium height grasses to plant around the maple to help shade til it gets a bit bigger.

The creeks around me haven't flooded yet but probably will by morning. The creek down the road from me has only flooded once I think since we have lived here and that was years ago. Comes close though.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9050656

Will, for your trench do like a rain garden thing. Make a trench, cover it with rocks then put plants in there that can handle both wet and dry conditions. They did that behind the Visitor's Center at Powell Gardens. Works great!! It absorbs the water instead of it running off into a stream or someone's yard.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9050806

Thanks Pepper, I was thinking about some kind of a raingarden too. Now is a pretty good time to make one, I am kinda torn on how to do it though. Do I put down weedblock or some kind of barrier to control weeds thru there, or do I let more rainwater soak in? You can see how marshy it gets in that Mar. 11th post ending in post #..67 up there - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9038667&extraimg=2 . During a steady rain, (like now), it is inundated with rainwater in that area. I'll prolly get carried away and dig another pond! It might be getting so saturated right there that the runoff is slowing way down and still collecting some on the driveway, which is far from ideal. I would love to get the water down and out.
I would love to do some kind of raingarden, my roommate homeowner would just love that. I should read up on how to make a raingarden lest I end up with a watery, weedy mess!

3 of my purple Coral Bells are awaiting planting soon! That's the big Rose-Of-Sharon cutting to the left of a Coral Bells (lower left corner), it doesn't show any signs of life.

I'm still waiting on that MDC Dogwood bundle, they should be getting here soon.

I remember one year, I was trapped in by 3 small flooded creeks on all roads from my house. I drove up to one but I had a small car and just turned around, the water was rushing and I didn't want to look like a numbskull if my car got swept into the ditch. This big pickup went on thru after I turned around, I was like, "well, aren't you something?", I guess they showed me! Flooded creeks can be dangerous. I'll turn around if there's a few inches of rushing water on the street. They say 6" of rushing water can sweep you off your feet and 2 feet of rushing water can sweep away your car! My days of curiousity of swimming in deep, rushing water are over!

They were showing the Japanese Cherry Trees in Wash. D.C. 100th anniversary and how quite a few of the trees are the original ones and have outlived their lifespan by 50-75 years - http://voices.yahoo.com/historic-cherry-trees-bloom-washington-5771622.html . I'd love to see the 3,750 Cherry Trees in blossom there someday at the Cherry Blossom Festival.

This message was edited Mar 20, 2012 10:12 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9051080

Will,
Nice diffenbachia!
It's fun to look at old posts. I saw a few of my old friends in your posts too. Frostweed sent me seed and I sent her seed too. Equilibrium and RCN is still on threads I'm on. Most of those I know were on the "My it's Sort of Dead'' thread.
Wow, things are growing alright!
Lenny has it made! Love the cricket group, LOL!
Your outdoor pots look good too!

Pepper,
I wish I had a place for a rain garden. It's nice to see features like that at places of business.

Maybe rain today, if it would quit drying up before it gets here!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9051490

Thanks! That Dieffenbachia is all tied up with white string because it was leaning over. I think the stems of Dieffenbachia are made of green toilet paper, very rubbery!

Yeah, some old friends of mine there too.

I was up at 4am, not because I couldn't sleep, but because the doorbell rang! I don't know what their deal was, when we went to the door, (not opening it), there was nobody there! We weren't about to open the door but I guess they didn't even need help.
Thanks for the compliments, Sally, I hope everything keeps growing.

Lennie DOES have it made, he/she likes having crickets at his/her disposal!

More rain dangit! I found out one thing this morning, Big Brothers and Big Sisters picks up stuff when there's a big chance of rain, but it never rained on the stuff.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2012
4:15 AM

Post #9052381

Will,
Cracking up! I sure wouldn't substitute it for toilet paper!!

Scary to have the doorbell ring that early. I would not have answered either!

We didn't answer the door when Jehovah Witness and Baptist people were handing out fliers yesterday. No need to since we aren't interested in their Churches.

Forgot to totally agree with you on not driving thru rushing water. Big truck, so what? He was lucky. Many ''big'' people get swept away. They endanger the lives of those trying to save them.

What stuff are you setting out for the Sisters and Brothers?
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 22, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9052571

I'm not substituting the stems for toilet paper! lol

Yeah, who rings a doorbell at 4 in the morning? People up at 4 in the morning can't be up to any good. Actually, it was a man's voice outside that woke me up, not the doorbell.
I told my friend, I just heard a man's voice outside?! I'm the only man around here and it wasn't me! My friend says, "who is it?" Maybe they heard that and figured, "nobody's opening the door here" and just left quickly. I'm not sure if they were prowlers though because a prowler wouldn't talk so loud I wouldn't think.

In 1998, 11 people got swept away to their deaths in Kansas City from swollen creeks. One guy was standing on the top of his car talking to his wife on the phone when he got swept away, it was sad.
You don't have to agree with me you silly! I never thought about it until you mentioned it. I just blab, if people hear that's a bonus! I'm a pretty even-keel guy, I would likely agree on stuff my friends say, even if I don't say, I just forget or overlook it. lol

It was just knick-knacks that we're donating. I found out that they won't take a Christmas tree unless it's that season, (Dec. or so). And it was a new tree still in the box.
We've been donating stuff about once a month or going to the store to dropoff donated stuff where they sell it.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 22, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9053250

I did a little planting of a Coral Bells 'Plum Pudding' today, I'm trying to get more in my little shade garden. A Junebug got dug up for his trouble, so did a grubworm, but I stepped on it. I was wrong about the second Ligularia, it is also sprouting a little behind the schedule of the other one, it is also in the shade garden, bringing up the back, left corner. I'm trying to determine if I have enuff room to put another Coral Bells in the shade garden, the shade garden is only 7' x 3.5' rectangular. I was thinking in the back in the middle maybe, it is a chartreuse one, I don't recall the name right now, I think 'Citrus' or something. The reason that I'm not sure that there's room is because the 2 Hostas in there are very big at maturity. I know for sure that one Hosta is a 'Francee' and the other one is either a 'Sum And Substance' or a 'Blue Angel' (I can't find the label on that one and the leaves haven't came out yet).

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2012
3:36 AM

Post #9053601

Will,
It's still scary to thinnk someone was outside that early. Maybe it was your neighbor that thinks your yard is messy. I'm glad you woke up. Maybe they now know you're a light sleeper.

:o)

I just took a few things to Goodwill, then realized there is a Salvation Army closer.

I'd wait to see how big the Hosta get. If they are happy they will get huge! I made the mistake of planting things in my hosta bed, LOL!

Well, we get the Grandkids today. It sure was a quiet week without them, LOL!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9054190

Haha.. the neighbor was out there cleaning my yard?! I don't know! Yeah, kinda surprising that people are so bold as to come right in your yard and ring the doorbell at that time of nite.
Our yard is fenced all the way around. They woulda had to open the gate and come up the porch to ring the doorbell. What if we hadn't gone to the door so quick? What were they going to break a window and come on in, thinking we weren't home, or a classic home invasion?

I'm not worried much about the 'Francee' getting too big but the other Hosta is very large, whether it's a 'Sum And Substance' or a 'Blue Angel' either one is very big. I'd rather them be big and happy than not so big and sickly, I'll move that Heuchera if I must.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9054468

I need to get out and take pics. My garden is just going nuts now with all the rain we've had. I still have alot of cleanup to do but hopefully I can get to it next week. I need to finish cutting back my mums and other plants, and pruning my roses. I also need to pull my red twig dogwood since only one stem is alive. Not worth keeping. It's going out and when I get a rose in so is my butterfly bush. I just may move it. Will see how the blooms look.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9054560

Cameras, rain and planting just should go better together! I am always handling my camera with wet hands, dirty hands or fingertips! lol The Dogwoods just got here so I will get a nice one in the mail to you, Pepper. I hope they are going to be alright, the roots looked unusually dry for shipment from them, I don't think they were too dry though. Was you going to throw away your Red-Twig Dogwood, Pepper? I was reading it is a good plant for a raingarden. Remember this site you sent me? - http://greenwichct.virtualtownhall.net/Public_Documents/GreenwichCT_Wetland/forms/iwwaWetlandPlantings.pdf Is Red Osier and Red Twig Dogwoods the same? Red Osier is on the list of wetland small trees.

I was thinking about our 4am visitor, the other nite, we may have been targeted because there's a disabled ramp here, but there isn't any disabled people here anymore, disabled in the mind maybe, but for petes sake I can swing one of those plastic toy bats like nobody's business!

Here is my little shade garden coming along. It has a 'Francee' Hosta, a 'Sum And Substance' Hosta or a 'Blue Angel', a Heuchera 'Plum Pudding', a Heuchera 'Citronelle', a 'Ghost' Fern and 2 Ligularias 'Midnight Lady' in all 7 feet of it. I guess I'll be finding out if anything is crowded in it.

I was wrong about the Speedwell Veronica 'Georgia Blue', it isn't done blooming, it's still blooming, it just looks bad in the rain, like all the flowers drop off or something.

How about Lennie the Lizard, he has crickets all over him/her, even on his head. I think they are trying to hold him/her down so they don't get eaten, there is crickets on his feet! He/she just shakes them off when he is tired of them. I keep him in crickets, look how big around he is! There's like 9 crickets in that photo! Crickets are only a dollar a dozen, but I think they give me extra crickets for the dirty hair discount!
That cactus will be a year old in May, it is wet because I had just watered it. How about my little bridge thing in there? It don't really look right, but neither does the little owl that is with it, but it's out of that photo, I think it's in a photo up there, to the left of it. That stuff isn't really your desert terrarium stuff but oh well!
Will

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9055695

Hi folks. Haven't been around a while. Had my DGD's here for their spring break. 5 & 7. Even though it rained EVERY day (I had 5" at my house, not complaining!) some days it was off and on so we still had a good time. The pics are of them in their new Cowgirl hats and the mini burro Jake. They just love him!
Also including a pic of my little tulip garden by the driveway.

Will, if there was never a reply to your mini green house with the pellets, you are suppose to soak the pellets first and let them swell, then plant the seeds. lol

I have lived in the counrty sooooooooooo much. I would hate someone telling me when I had to mow my grass, too much "trash" around, etc., etc., etc. I'm afraid I might tell someone off.

Will, you need to be careful of "only 2" of water" over a road. You never know, in the middle of it could be a big washout and the road gone!

What happened to the old lady that lived with you?

Thumbnail by Crit   Thumbnail by Crit   Thumbnail by Crit   Thumbnail by Crit   Thumbnail by Crit

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9055729

Oh, I see, I didn't know you soak the pellets first, thanks I'll do that next time. That little donkey looks like a Shetland Pony! I heard an old western funny saying about some bank-robbers on Shetland Ponies. The bank teller says, "shoot low Sheriff, they're riding Shetlands!"

The elderly, disabled lady passed away in December.

That's a nice bed of Tulips there, Crit. Yeah, conforming to city standards on yard appearance is pretty frustrating, when you're slowly working on it already, and people just don't know the progress already underway.

Yeah, I agree, I don't fool around with floodwaters, I turn around. Unless the water is clear and I see a bicycle go thru it I am turning around! lol

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2012
5:05 AM

Post #9056023

52/75/49
Areas of patchy fog early. Partly cloudy skies. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.

Good morning all! It's pretty foggy out there today, but it counts as rain so I don't mind. We have been struggling to get even 1/10th in the guage. At least with the sprinkles the iris borer control is wet, and hopefully the iris are taking it up.

Will,
They had to be drunk. Hopefully they were drunk. It's the not knowing that's scary.
Nice thing about moving Heuchera is, if they are big, it's a good time to make a few from one.

Pepper,
Yep, pull the dogwood and set it somewhere else. Will it sucker and form a patch? The rose and BFB will be much prettier!
I am so hoping all the weeding I've done, stays done. I fear the chickweed will grow back from roots I didn't get. At least I got it before it put out seeds! Some of it anyway. It's too wet to finish weeding now.

Will,
I'll bet you're a madman with a plastic bat, LOL! We keep a golf club in the closet since I gave all the bats to Goodwill.
Feeding the crickets and letting Lennie eat when he wants to is a good idea. He looks pretty healthy!
Nice Heuchera and nice bed :o)
Pretty blooms. Blue is just right for spring. I see my Jacob's Ladder is going to bloom soon.
It's all decor and looks fine. I'm sure lennie doesn't mind.

Crit,
Smiling. I have GS's, 7 and 5. They still need playing with at that age so I can see how busy you've been!
The tulips are gorgeous! My tulips, when closed are red and yellow striped. They are a species tulip. They are almost ready to open!
Oh, they are sooooo adorable!!! So is Jake! How llong have you had him?

Will, grinning over the joke! We had a regular shetland pony and someone else had a miniture.

Have a wonderful Sunday!

Last year's bloom.

Thumbnail by billyporter   Thumbnail by billyporter

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9056744

The dogwood will probably be tossed. It only has one live stem and it is barely alive. The switchgrass will hopefully get divided and moved here pretty soon. I need something to shade my shade bed til I get another tree in. Plus the stump won't be burned anytime soon so need something temporary and tall. Give my butterfly bush to a friend who loves them and put a big rose there. I need something to give us more privacy. I think a rose will be a good choice.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9056925

Billy, we have had Jake for 2 years. The grandkids just think he is GREAT! Wish I knew how old he was. Hmmm

It's hard to get a good shot of the tulips because they are in doppled sun/shade all the time. But they sure are pretty in person. Best part of it is, most of them I got from Wal-Mart for $1 a pot after Easter. Didn't know what color they would be but heck, who cares! lol There were 4-6 bulbs in each one. I have others scattered around in a group of 4 or 5.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2012
1:25 AM

Post #9057097

Well, I think I've stayed up as late as I can!

Thanks Sally. I hope everything in the landscaping looks nice enuff when it's done.

There is a good chance that the would-be burglar was drunk or something. Not far from here is a pretty good population of homeless people, they panhandle about a mile from here, where 24 hwy. meets I-435 interstate, I'm sure they walk where-ever they want. I don't just mean people down on their luck, there is likely drunks, drug addicts and mentally ill people in that group too. Another thing to consider is unemployment and poverty level wages around here and just quite a bit of crime. It's like any other place you have to be alert.
I'm on unemployment myself but I don't feel the need to rob anybody! I'm not addicted to anything but pop! I'm not about to break in anybody's house for a Pepsi!
Haha! Yes I can swing a plastic bat! I'll just get out my time machine and send them to the 1850's!

Not to sound all odd, but look at all the 5's and 7's in the posts above including the post times, just a coincidence but still funny!

Your high billyp today of 75 is nice, tomorrow here is supposed to be 82! I wonder how many people are giving in to the unusually warm temperatures and going ahead and putting tomatoes and houseplants etc. out?! I'm gonna try to wait until mid April myself!

Eek, yeah Pepper, if the RedTwig Dogwood is barely alive I think I'd toss it too, altho maybe it'll come back in a few years if you planted it on the edge of some woods.

Speaking of Butterfly Bushes, Pepper, the 'Blue Nanho' from you is doing fine but the 'Black Knight' I think is kaput, something uprooted it long before I saw it. Although I immediately replanted it, it doesn't show any signs of life.

The last time I had Tulips there was a surprise freak of a cold snap! See them here all drooped over, I was so mad! lol
Will

This message was edited Mar 26, 2012 3:28 AM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 26, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9058245

I finally got that big birdbath assembled and put in place with the help of a neighbor, I'm glad to get that done, that thing is a monster! It wobbles more than I hoped but I'll work on that later.
I didn't want to wrestle it myself and end up with it on my foot! With 2 people it was no problem.

I had a big second thought on the placement of that purple Coral Bells, ('Plum Pudding') in the shade garden, it is only down about 4 inches and over towards the smaller of the 2 monster Hostas, ('Francee') now. I'm starting to think that big Hosta on the right is a 'Blue Angel', I think it'll need plenty of room to spread out.

The hardy waterlily is going to sprout afterall! I pulled it up and had a look and it indeed has small lilies coming in! It wasn't even in the deep part of the pond I found out.

The Speedwell Veronica is still going strong.

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9059346

That monster fountain looks very much like the one I have. It takes 2 people too. I have a picture but it doesn't show the pedastal. I was taking pictures of the fence as we were taking down the old one and selling off the slats. lol

Thumbnail by Crit

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9059748

I did a little more outside today, not much. I just can't seem to commit to big jobs that I know need to be done! I'm so lazy, I'd rather sit and watch tv than get the landscaping done, which I really want to get done this year. I started big projects in the yard and I just have to finish them! My friend here thinks I'm crazy for bringing all these rocks in the yard, I just don't say anything, except, I tell her, "you'll thank me later!", I hope I'm right! Speaking of those rocks, I put down a few more by the big birdbath/fountain. I am still deciding what to do with that big Dwarf Eastern White Pine, Pinus Strobus 'Nana'. I've had it since 2004, it is big. It is surprisingly light for a big plant and planter, it's in Pine Bark, no soil. I've seen it's rootball about 4 years ago, it is getting within about 4 or 5 inches of the inside of the planter, so it should be about ready to be planted.

Your birdbath fountain is big like mine, it is similar to mine, Crit. I like the color on yours, mine needs color like that or just all spray painted gray like the color of concrete. It's kinda mismatched on colors the way it is. My Dad kinda fancied painting their statuaries, which is fine, but it wears off and looks like poo years later. The top part was painted in many different colors, even the childrens' faces are tan, it's wore bad and doesn't look like art at all. I'm not familiar with statuaries, your concrete coulda been mixed to look like that maybe, which isn't paint.

I got down and cut one Water Iris's pot with scissors so not so much black plastic shows above the water. The other Water Iris got a thick plastic pot that seems to be ideal for water plants.
I just had to drill big drain holes in the bottom because the water level can get kinda low at times. I don't want them out of a pot of some kind though because the roots go everywhere! And the Iris itself would just always be tipping over if not in a pot.

I tried to straighten up that Colorado Blue Spruce 'Globosa' but I don't think I did it good enuff to suit me! I may just need to dig it up and replant it.

I just can't quit looking at my little shade garden! Maybe there's enuff room in the middle and a little left for a smallish Hosta like 'June' or 'Patriot'. I don't know, maybe I should wait a while to see how big stuff gets there.

This blue ceramic fish has my other Speedwell Veronica 'Georgia Blue' in it. That Dwarf Alberta Spruce by it started out in 2004 as a Living Christmas tree, it has grown alot, it finally got big enuff to plant! lol That other pot behind it has what appears to be a now defunct Pennisetum alopecuroides (straight Fountain Grass), it was 3 "plugs". That was the last mail order item in a $66 order from Bluestem nursery in Canada, not Bluestone Perennials. I have a bunch of what appears now to just be pots of dirt to empty out, unfortunately.

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9060766

Will, you seem to know a lot of Hosta names. There was one here when we moved here and I do not know the name of it. I keep thinking Sum and Substance, but most definately could be wrong. The leaves grow up and it gets quite big. Here is a picture of a leaf from where I divided it earlier. Any idea? It has deep veined leaves and the leaves get large also.

Thumbnail by Crit

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2012

Post #9061166

Thanks, I do have quite a few of the more common, cheaper ones. It looks like 'Sum And Substance' to me too, it's a common one. Like you said, the leaves are like S&S. Size I think would be real telling, S&S gets real big. Here's a Youtube video of a young one though with larger leaves. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smGzf5y0eBo I don't know what stage of growth your Hosta is in, for ex. April or August. Here is a photo of one of mine last year. I had just cut some scorched leaves with scissors in this photo. I set it under a tree before that and apparently it didn't like even that much sun. But, yours looks similar to mine in all those characteristics you mentioned. I don't mean to suggest that S&S is a cheaper Hosta but it's pretty common and deservedly so, it's big and it's nice. There is just so many Hostas, I wish I knew more about them than I do. I think the Chartreuse color is a good clue on yours, I think regular Hostas are a more ordinary green, not chartreuse like yours. But, from what I read Hostas from seeds don't have to be a regular green, they coulda been pollinated from other Hostas nearby and could be yellow even but likely not like a named Hosta. Definitely the size, if the parent gets 5 feet or so in diameter, I'd think much more of a chance it's S&S. I wish I could be more helpful. There was a member here who has many big, nice Hostas, lkozarksgarden, here is one of his pictures - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7825574 I think he said in his Hosta prime he had over a hundred of them.
In this photo of a younger S&S of mine a while back, it looked like yours a bit but mine seemed to have a little pointier leaves, might be nothing - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7818090

This is a photo of one of 3 S&S that I have now, none of them are as small as yours.
Thanks for the vote of confidence!
Will

Eeek, I see it posted twice, sorry about that!

This message was edited Mar 28, 2012 8:38 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2012

Post #9061167

Thanks, I do have quite a few of the more common, cheaper ones. It looks like 'Sum And Substance' to me too, it's a common one. Like you said, the leaves are like S&S. Size I think would be real telling, S&S gets real big. Here's a Youtube video of a young one though with larger leaves. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smGzf5y0eBo I don't know what stage of growth your Hosta is in, for ex. April or August. Here is a photo of one of mine last year. I had just cut some scorched leaves with scissors in this photo. I set it under a tree before that and apparently it didn't like even that much sun. But, yours looks similar to mine in all those characteristics you mentioned. I don't mean to suggest that S&S is a cheaper Hosta but it's pretty common and deservedly so, it's big and it's nice. There is just so many Hostas, I wish I knew more about them than I do. I think the Chartreuse color is a good clue on yours, I think regular Hostas are a more ordinary green, not chartreuse like yours. But, from what I read Hostas from seeds don't have to be a regular green, they coulda been pollinated from other Hostas nearby and could be yellow even but likely not like a named Hosta. Definitely the size, if the parent gets 5 feet or so in diameter, I'd think much more of a chance it's S&S. I wish I could be more helpful. There was a member here who has many big, nice Hostas, lkozarksgarden, here is one of his pictures - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7825574 I think he said in his Hosta prime he had over a hundred of them.
In this photo of a younger S&S of mine a while back, it looked like yours a bit but mine seemed to have a little pointier leaves, might be nothing - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7818090

This is a photo of one of 3 S&S that I have now, none of them are as small as yours.
Thanks for the vote of confidence!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9061192

lkozarksgarden has some nice beds of Hostas - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7639542 and
- http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7639555
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9061722

Thanks Will. That pretty much confirms it is an S&S. The pic I showed is of a new one that I dug and potted up just a couple weeks ago. I have 9 starts off of it because I try to keep it contained to a certain area, and it does spread a lot. I don't believe I have a pic of it when it was full size. It is in a spot that gets light morning sun, then shade the rest of the day and loves it's location! I have moved starts of it around the yard and they are doing great also.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9062139

Hi all...
Wow it was pouring at my house and thunder and wind when I left for work, and nothing down here, what a difference 40 miles can make.

Gosh your guys those fountains are beautiful! What a great focal point.

Short, did the rose survive the winter, mine are going a crazy, I bought a new climbing pink rose to put on a trellis over the garden room, it can grow to 20 feet long, how beautiful that would be, it is a New Dawn, it states it can rebloom throughout the season, fingers crossed. I haven't been to Indep. lately, thought I was going Friday but may not now, can't decide.

Love the pond it is really coming along, the water lilies are always a little later coming up, the iris grows like fire and will even grow in the ground without a pond. My fish have had more fish, geehz, I don't need more fish. I am cleaning the pond this weekend so I will need to catch all those guys...fun fun. On the bigger ponds to hide the liner they will use some smaller rock (gravel or pea rock something like that) poured around, not much you can do about the sides but add more water, plants, and stuff...

Love the hostas, I have a sum&substance I left in a decorative pot all winter and it is growing great. Yesterday I went to home depot for lunch (costly lunch) and bought 2 more hostas aq drinking gourd (not sure how to spell the whole name and too lazy to look it up) and another that I can't remember the name of even tho I looked twice!

Ok I am hitting send, I think I have keyed this in 10 times and never got it sent...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2012

Post #9062495

I'm catching up on tons of threads today. Miss one day and the forums blow up. lol.

Was at the Mavericks hockey game last night. Had a great time and we won also. It was the first game of playoffs. Next home game is Monday and if they win Weds. That will be my next game. I will be too tired from my Texas trip to go on Monday dang it. Going to Texas for the weekend to visit family. They don't know we are coming so it will be cool to see their faces when we show up. lol

My gardens have been sorta cleaned up for spring. Dead stuff cut back but I need to weed now. No time to do it for awhile though. And need to figure out whether I can put my 2 blueberry bushes in the back where my dogwood and stuff are. Gonna check out lighting next week. If it works I will finally have a good in ground home for them.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9062674

Hi happ! Welcome back! Thanks, I hope the fountain turns out to be a nice focal point. Yes, the dark red Rose did very good, I think it even remained green all Winter. I'm not sure about that but every time I looked at it, it was green, now it is really leafy. My friend just loves it too, I'll try to remember to get a photo of it soon.

The Water Irises are doing great. The other water plants you gave me happ didn't do so well. It's kinda my fault that hardy rush died, I didn't realize it should stay in water, when Fall came I potted it up and that killed it I think. I remember when it was in the water it was even multiplying. Maybe I shoulda just left it in the pond this Winter. The others kinda just shriveled up, the changing of locations might not have agreed with them.

Thanks happ, that pond needs some modifications, nothing too drastic but I need to do some things on it I think. If you want to give away some fish, I'd be glad to have them!
If they don't feed themselves then maybe I shouldn't have any! lol Just kidding, I'd get fish-food when I get lizard food.
No hurry, when you get to Indep. is fine, I'll likely be here, I go days not going anywhere. I'm better just staying home, it's better on shopping and such anyway.

Your welcome, Crit, I hope they perform nicely for you. Your's musta leafed out bigger and sooner than mine, my S&S leaves aren't that big yet. To be more certain, the Sum and Substance has a very big leaf. You may have seen Plantfiles - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/364/#b info. on it, 144 square inches for the leaves it says, that's 12 inches by 12 inches, very big. That must be several years down the road because mine aren't that big either and I still have the tag! Here's a good photo of the guy's hand next to one for scale. - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/16807/

I was by a favorite spot for rocks, so I couldn't resist getting about a backseat and a passenger seat full, in kitty-litter buckets of course. My car is small and it weighs it down I can tell.
It sits all low but it doesn't rub on the tires. I think I looked all official like a highway worker when I was there getting rocks, I had on my orange safety vest and everything. Cars were getting over like I was on official business! I stumbled one time but I got up quick in case anybody saw me, luckily for me no cars were coming when I fell on my backside! I hung my Sombrero on the passenger seat's headrest, that musta looked interesting to cars behind me. Kitty-litter buckets hold 40 lbs. of litter so I'm guessing, I had 8 buckets times 40 lbs., extra, in there! I think collecting rocks has become an obsession for me, I just love the way they look in the yard, now I just hope I don't ever have to get rid of them. If my friend here ever gets mad and says, "ok, get all the rocks out of here or find a new place to live", I'm in trouble! I bet I have a dumptruck of rocks and I don't own a dumptruck!

Crit, that little donkey is cool, can an adult ride it? I don't think we can have one here but I'd get one if I could. How long have you had your donkey? I was wondering if they get any bigger.
Haha.. I remember in the movie Cowboys And Aliens, 007 Daniel Craig won't ride a horse, in real life even it says. I remember in the movie that was funny, all these horses were leading the group and a donkey with 007 was always in the back. One funny time, they came to mountainous terrain where the horses were struggling and the burro went right up it! I had to Google that because I couldn't remember the movie where I saw that but I just thought it was hilarious! - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2027717/Cowboys--Aliens-star-Daniel-Craig-doesnt-horse-riding.html

How about those Mavericks?! They are really doing good.

I don't have any family in Tx. anymore, my brother took a better job in Southern Ca. Now, I just need to bug him for a vacation there and to plant some palm trees and stuff in his yard.
Well, on second thot, 2 of his sons, (my nephews), are still there, the oldest one is at Texas University, he's a Longhorn!

Have a nice trip, drive safe, Pepper!
Will

This message was edited Mar 29, 2012 10:18 PM

This message was edited Mar 30, 2012 10:00 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9063191

50/67/41
A shower or two around the area early, then partly cloudy during the afternoon. Winds NNW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 30%

Pepper,
The rose sounds like a beautiful change!

Crit,
I love him too. He is just the right size!

Will,
When you are done, the yard is going to look great! With mulch, I hope you have time to actually sit and admire it and the pond.
People who plant the tender stuff now are in for a suprise. I don't think we're going to freeze, I hope we aren't, but I won't rule it out.
Wilted anything is a big disappointment.
LOVE the birdbath! It's a real treasure!

Crit,
Ditto for your birdbath too!

Whew, a lot of reading and I have a whole bunch more threads to catch up on.

My neighbor asked me over after dinner to walk her yard and look at her flowers. She's been busy getting her house ready for the "Tour of Houses" they asked her to be in. I love her yard. It's one whole block, and they bought another block behind them that was just the old school yard. She plants everything I love, so it's a real treat to water for her when she is gone :o)

I ''sat'' at DD's yesterday, literally, in the large round playpen she has. GD scoots all over and GS rolls. They are so much fun to be with.

Yesterday, I sowed all my tomatoes, peppers, cabbages and brussels sprouts in the house. Peas are planted outside and we got 6/10'' of rain last night. Woo Hoo! Next, I'll go thru my flower seeds and see what else to start in the house.

Still weeding too. Took all afternoon to do one small bed because the chickweed wants to hang on.

Anyway, it's wonderful to be outside working!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9063848

Here is an under progress view of the backyard left portion, which is most of it..lol. I plan to get rid of that little red wagon, it has rusted out and is just an embarrassment, it's also coming apart now.
I need to get a skimmer for the pond, I weedate in there and clippings went in the water! My new mulch plan is only to go down to that second from last privacy fence pole, before I wanted to go all the way to the last pole where that weedblock ends but I'll prolly be taking that up now to back it all up a ways.

How about my pot of hardy Mums? I remember I was sweating how hardy can "hardy Mums" be? Well, pretty dang hardy! Even my "Big Twister" Bush by it has some green on it.
In the Mums photo you can see a pile of mud, but this photo musta been before I scooped mud and put down blond bricks. In the photo of the privacy fence up there, the Mums aren't there anymore, it woulda been by the wheel barrow's front tire in that photo. See the Big Twister Bush there? In that photo you can see it wayyyyy back there between that birdfeeder and that swingset looking contraption, actually it's next to the Persimmon, I wanted the Mums to be with another Fall interest plant.

Speaking of donkeys, poor donkeys, they are being abandoned by ranchers in Tx. and La. that used them to guard their cows and other livestock but they don't have that livestock so they let the donkeys out. They said farmers find a bad place in a neighbor farmer's fence and let their donkeys in there. The neighbor tells the cops that he "woke up and found donkeys on his property"..lol! - http://news.yahoo.com/hundreds-donkeys-abandoned-lingering-drought-080836493.html

This message was edited Mar 30, 2012 10:01 PM

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9063849

I will have time to admire the landscaping when I'm finished. But, do you ever really finish?! lol I had a bit of a moment recently when I was out there yesterday, the bees were visiting the little Gil-Over-The-Ground flowers that I plan to cover up with mulch! I felt bad! How can I cover up flowers that give honeybees so much pleasure? I loathe that Ground-Ivy! Well, I think that I came to the conclusion that I really shouldn't cover up so much ground with mulch, I may only cover about half as much ground as I planned. It just means I'll have to be more diligent with the weedwhacker, yardwork and unfortunately, the other RU - RoundUp. There is still going to be alot of mulch go down believe you me!

I did some work over by the privacy fence that I've been putting off. I offered to scrub all that moss off of the fence with a wire brush and the hose and paint it but she says she likes the moss. I put down those blond bricks but eventually when I get enuff rocks I'd like to have rocks for all the borders. I haven't unloaded the 8 buckets of rocks out of my car yet. I didn't really want to let on to my friend that I got more rocks but she walked by my car and she informed me about my cargo. She says she doesn't like the rocks but she hasn't stopped me from using them, like she has stopped me from doing other stuff outside, I think deep down inside, she likes them, but she doesn't want to say! Anyway, I plan to have something between the mossy fence and the border, just not sure what.

That 'Blue Fortune' Hyssop sure is funny. It didn't sprout from it's branches, it seems to be sprouting from the base pretty vigorously. I've got plans to put it by the shed eventually.

Here's the dark red Rose on the $5.99 Harbor Freight trellis. It's got many leaves already! You can see my big old Sombrero shadow!

I saw today that Soapwort has little pale pink flowers, they are pretty too. That's it in the blue fish next to one plant of Creeping Phlox. The Creeping Phlox gets more solid in color than that eventually, it just started flowering the other day.

That big Rose-Of-Sharon cutting has started budding afterall, Crit! After it gets more leaves, I'll unpot it from there and put the roots in that stuff that the Missouri nursery sent me Dogwood and Hazelnut seedlings in, it's good for shipping and I'll soak it beforehand. This isn't prolly an ideal time to do that but I didn't think it lived until now. It's in the pic with the little tiny leaves but a pretty big stick looking thing.

Here is my big pot of DitchLilies that I got from Happ and 2 pots of Irises from bulbs that I got from Imames at the Fall RU 09'. I just love to have pots of stuff on-hand. To onlookers (and neighbors), bunches of pots sitting around can't look good. But, they are all in the master landscaping plan! Fairly soon, I should be able to reduce my pots by about half when I get to see what is just pots of dirt, which is alot. I think a lot of stuff didn't get enuff cold to come back, but I don't know for sure. I water and care for potted plants just like I do planted plants.

Thanks for the compliment on my birdbath billyp, that thing was a hassle but I'm very glad it's here. Concrete statuaries and hardscaping lend a nice addition to a landscaping IMHO. I think they give an appearance of an invested and well planned landscaping, (which this one isn't really). I was on the code enforcement, cops and interested neighbors landscaping plan, but it's starting to come together now, after about 10 years!

Yeah, I hope it doesn't get too cold either, I gotta say I am tempted myself to put my houseplants, tomato starts and other starts out right away. I'll prolly chicken out tho and wait a couple weeks. I'd like to see more forecasts, for example, Thursday they are saying a low of 42, that can't be good for Tomatoes and stuff. - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast

Will

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9063855

Oh, here's that Rose-Of-Sharon, Crit, the pic is bigger offline so hope the little buds are visible on DG.
It's the big stick up close.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2012
4:47 AM

Post #9064003

45/69/54
Sun and clouds mixed. Winds SE at 10 to 20 mph.

Will,
The wagon made a good planter for a year. And yep, everything is greening up and looking good. Especially the mums! That's the best thing about spring, anticipating the changes seeing what lived and all enjoying the new blooms!

What a horrible ending for the donkeys and those who have to round them up! We had a guy just outside of town who adopted five or six donkeys many many years ago. He learned to take a pair of pliers out with him because when they latch onto you, they won't let go.

About the only way to sit outside and stay there a little while, is to take a cup of coffee out with you so you have to sit and drink it.

Chickweed also provides early flowers, but I figure these things are in everyone's yard and they don't do yardwork. It makes me feel better about pulling mine.

For easy mowing, I'd leave the blond bricks and set rocks just behind them.

For the buckets of rocks, after you use them, plant something small, like deep blue lobelia or white alyssum (annuals) or acid yellow alyssum, or forgert me nots (perennials) between them. It will make both look good

All your pictures make me want to get outside and get busy, LOL!

A quiet weekend without the boys. My neighbor sent me home with a bouquet of Viburnum and lilac blossoms. They smell so nice! She cut a huge bouquet of daffodils, tulips and lilacs to decorate their church with.

Thumbnail by billyporter   Thumbnail by billyporter

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9064369

Thanks for the S&S info Will. That is mine, although my leaves aren't that big. May be because it is in part shade.

The burro is a mini, so I would hate to put an adult on him. But the other one we had was a regular size and he is like the ones they use in the Grand Canyon. You could set on him with no problem, but the little bugger wouldn't lead so couldn't ride. lol

So sad about the donkey's in TX. I've heard the same thing about people with horses. We actually got ours from a friend who went out of the cattle business. That is what he had them for.

I use a lot of rocks around my gardens. I have several different varieties I've picked up over the years, and here we have tons of sandstone which will match my house. I'll get you a pic of one of the beds.

Thanks on the ROS Will
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9064847

Here is my regular Lilac!

Here is a few nice plants I have in a holding area, I plan to plant them this year, somewhere!

I hope I have everything in the right order, that's some of mine.

All my stuff started out pretty small, so in a few years maybe they'll have some size.

Will

Oh boy, 3 other posts with 15 pics didn't upload, I hope just reattaching them works.

This message was edited Mar 31, 2012 8:46 PM

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9064858

Nice birdbath billyp, crows have to drink too! By the way, aren't they bad luck? I found a funny bit here - http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_crows_considered_to_bring_bad_luck
When I was a kid my Dad climbed a tree and got 4 little crows, named Eeny, Meeny, Miny and Moe. He tried to get them to talk by putting a tape recorder by them, but they never talked.
I wouldn't do that myself, that was too high up for me, plus I wouldn't want to upset the mother like that. I went with him (I didn't climb the tree), I remember the mother was swooping at him when he was up there.

Yeah, that wagon planter did okay last year. The Marigolds in it haven't even shown themselves yet, I'm thinking they may not be back. Here's a better pic of it, it's a mess. I intend to set it out Monday for the city's bulky item pickup. There's another wagon in here just like it but still in the box, I'd like to put it outside and fill it full of flowers or something. I draw the line at putting a toilet bowl out there full of flowers, well, on second thought maybe I'll do it just because! You can't pull the wagon or hardly move it without it falling apart more, I don't remember the wheels ever turning.

Here's one of my Soapworts in the fish and a Creeping Phlox next to it. Have you ever noticed how similar those 2 are to each other? They both have 5 petals in the flowers, just the Creeping Phlox is much deeper of a pink almost purple where the Soapwort is almost white but still noticeably pale pink.

Here is my cluster of Blueberry bushes, it is 3 plants all together. Blueberries are forming and there is lots of them, I'm gonna try to beat the birds if I can! It's next to the red wagon.

Here's one of my 10 or 12 Ozark Witch Hazels coming in! That bowl next to it is just a bowl full of Daffodil bulbs that I threw in it.

Here is my one and only Forsythia!

Here is the Redlily plant that I got from Pepper in Fall 09' and a Purple Coneflower plant by it. Those two are doing some pondside duty. All those little weeds by those plants should be getting very unhappy as I went around and sprayed RoundUp on all the weeds I could find.

Well, I've used up my five pics!

Will

This message was edited Mar 31, 2012 9:14 PM

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9064872

I'm gonna try the other ten photos later, this isn't working right now. I'm just doing them over and over to no avail.
Maybe their overloaded with photos now.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9064984

Here is my old Dwarf Eastern White Pine 'Nana'. That's my other Creeping Phlox by it, it hasn't started blooming yet.

Here is my Peach tree (Semi Dwarf 'Red Haven') bringing up the corner, it had alot of flowers so hope it has alot of peaches too!

Here is my other Purple Coneflower plant coming up.

Here's my Butterfly Bush 'Nanho Blue'.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9064987

This is just a view of my waterpond and some stuff around it.

Here is a Mugo Pine that I got dirt cheap from Lowes as a Fall special last year.

Here is one of my 2 'Mini Penny' Hydrangea's, actually the other one looks better, I shoulda planted this one deeper, but I wanted it to be up a little for the mulch that I planned there, but now I'm not putting down that much mulch so I'm going to be putting some more soil around it.

Here is one of my 2 Golden Spireas.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9065317

I would say the rose bush is happy!
I went with a friend all day yesterday to nurseries all over, we started at heartland, omg what a beautiful place we go several times a year and had coupons! I got princess wu...YES! Then some plants for the city planters that I do, and a few for me.

Short, the rush would of been fine in the water all winter, I will get you some more, and I will gladly give you a couple of fish, can't just have one he/she would be lonely!

Mulch is on sale at Home Depot.

Gotta go play will be back later.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9065956

Just got back home about an hour ago. Long drive but so very worth it!! We didn't let anyone down there know we were coming except for my cuz's sister. She managed to keep it a secret so when we showed up lots of OMGs were going on. LOL
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9066011

This Soapwort is really all abuzz with flowers! Look at it in flower today! And that's just one plant that Pepper sent me last year, it's not so little now!

Oh happ, that dark red Rose is doing very well, very well indeed! Thanks, another Rush and a couple fish would be great! That Rush is cool, I was bummed that it died.

Thanks billyp, I'll look up those flowers, I think they'd look good among the rocks too. Thanks for the suggestions Sally, I am open to suggestions, my ideas aren't always the best I've learned, for ex. like black dyed mulch..lol!

I bought six Banana 'Basjoo' plants at Heartland last Summer and not a one has sprouted yet, and I didn't buy the warranty! Heartland had me going on their return policy, I'd never seen one like theirs. They had 2 prices of plants, one with a warranty and one without. They discount pretty heavily from what I saw as the time goes into Fall, it was around July 50% off and after that 75% off.
When I was at Heartland last Summer, they were just expanding into the back part, it looked like it would roughly double they're inventory. I like that place too, it's laid out good too.
I remember it was VERY hot when I was there. I think I was the only shopper there because everybody was staying home in the ac.

That's a pretty good April Fools Day joke there Pepper!

Anybody gonna start a new month, I started the last one.

This message was edited Apr 1, 2012 8:32 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9066019

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1250068/

This thread is closed!!!!!!!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 1, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9066082

I have been wanting to get some Witch Hazel going, but never have. I keep trying to start coneflower seeds in my ws'ing jugs, but don't get them to germinate. I know they have been cold, so Hey! what's the deal???? ^_^

Um, Pepper ... wouldn't your cuz's sister be your cuz also? lol
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9066121

Guess so. lol

THIS THREAD IS CLOSED!!! LINK IN MY POST ABOVE!!!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Central Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You have to guess what this is - it's in my garden. LOL crystalnurse 181 Sep 22, 2010 10:54 AM
dahlias-How to store allysgram 18 Apr 18, 2007 4:39 PM
Stargazer Lily Bulbs Question cedarnest 19 Jul 3, 2007 8:42 PM
Let's go gardening! Terry 12 Jun 21, 2014 10:28 PM
Speaking of winter MaryinLa 5 Mar 3, 2007 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America