Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vegetable Gardening: WHERE DO MY VEGGIES GO?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 12, Views: 137
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9027356

Hi Guys!

Looks like I'll FINALLY be building my very first RAISED BEDS this weekend. Two - 4x8' beds side by side, running NORTH-SOUTH. There's room for a 3rd bed, 4x10', maybe next season.

I need help determining where the veggies go in these beds. Never planted in ground before. Been doing the eBuckets since 2008.

Could use your expertise on the plant layout. I've included two blank bed layout grids with a list of the veggies I'd like to grow this season. If you could mark it up and repost for me, I'd sure appreciate it. Or, just number the grids somehow and post where the veggies should go.

Thanks!

Linda, the eBucket Queen, who's about to relinquish part of her crown, as she's still not ready to give up ALL the eBuckets just yet...They have served her well!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9027509

Well...I would put the tomatoes on the ends of the beds...4 on the end of each bed.
I put the taller plants such as eggplants and peppers in the center...and work from there with the smaller plants to the outside.
I know this isn't much help but...maybe somebody else can pitch in some help too.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9027604

Thanks, Cricket!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2012
4:29 AM

Post #9027913

Factor in east to west. That is not shown on your layout. Also shade received from houses/fences/trees. That will have bearing on how you plant what & where.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9027959

Podster,
Due NORTH is at the bottom of each diagram. This puts East on your left, and west on the right.

It's the best orientation possible in my available space.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9027964

I know folks like to plant the garden east to west but I found that sometimes it benefits some of the smaller plants to have a little shade in the evening = such as squash especially where it really gets hot.. Just a little note while you set it all up.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9028073

Cricket and Podster,

Sorry, I live by my GPS in the cell phone! I am seriously directionally challenged.

In my drawing boxes A and B are running north and south, and all the boxes will be at the southwest end of the yard. Box C is oriented east-west. EAST is at the very bottom of each scheme.
Due NORTH is to the right...

I built Box A last night. Building Box B in a few. Progress, FINALLY!

One more question. I'm about to rip all the buckets that I grew the cole crops in. Broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts. The raised beds will be filled with a RB mix Tapla has suggested.
5 parts pine bark fines
2 parts each sharp builders sand, Turface Pro League, and Vermiculite, and
1 part compost/reed sedge peat.

I just used a variation of this for all the fall/wtr containers and had my best crop EVER. The medium is fast draining, highly oxygenated/aerated, yet hold enough moisture. The plants took off in that stuff.

All this background to ask if I can use the mix the brassicas grew in to grow the tomatoes, bells, eggplants, okra, cukes and squash. It's basically a "crop rotation to avoid disease spread" question. I had NO diseased plants in this medium.

Thanks!

Linda

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9028090

Raised Bed A!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9028111

How deep are your beds? I recommend 16 - 18 inches because shallow roots can cook under our hot Texas Summers.

About your soil...a light fluffy soil is good in your buckets where they depend on wicking water from the bottom reservoir. The soil in your raised bed should be of a consistency that will retain moisture but not become water logged, else you will spend all your time watering. Think hanging baskets with a light fluffy soil. It's hard to keep them watered enough to grow plants successfully.

Don't give up on ALL your buckets. Keep doing what you are doing and grow your gardening experience. I use a mix of growing alternatives such as pots, raised box beds, boxed-in wheat straw bales, and dirt rows with furrows. Each method has it own set of requirements to make growing and fruitful production successful.

A few bullets...southern peas (cow peas) are space hogs for a few good meals...one well fed squash plant can cover a 4' x 4' area...pepper plants benefit from afternoon shade in hot summer.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9028141

TRock!
Thanks for the tips! The boxes will be 11" high, but they'll be sitting on some fertile ground. The site originally had a 10 x 14' Arrow shed on it. When it was torn down, I immediately covered the soil with a thick layer of heavy cardboard, followed by a layer of weed block, followed by a sheet of plywood. The buckets sit in the plywood.

I wasn't planning on tilling the site, hoping that the worms have churned it up another 5" below that cardboard. If necessary, I can til it once, for this first go round. Don't intend to til past the first time.

We've had so much rain on the weekends (PRAISE GOD for RAIN in Houston!) that the soil is moist. I truly don't wanna til up mud.

Lemme know whether tilling is necessary as I don't wanna kill all the worms.

I so have enough leg room to add another 2x4, which would give me a box depth of 14.5". But, such tall, massive boxes would overpower my yard. Also I intend on facing the boxes with leftover cedar fence pickets. Two pickets on edge = 11". I built the boxes so I wouldn't have to cut the pickets!

Hugs!

Linda

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9032189

Raised Bed(s) update:

Finally, I have ONE raised bed!

This weekend (3 days, 'cept I was sick all day Saturday, so big whoop, huh?) I ripped 28 buckets of seedlings, and harvested the pine bark fines (PBF)mix. It's still in tact for the most part, so I'm gonna cut half of the old PBF with the new in the Raised Bed mix formula.

It took three of us to move the bed into place -- should've been four men! I faced it on the outside with the extra cedar fence pickets I had, so it matches. Nice.

My neighbor tilled up the launching pad to a depth of about 8-10 inches. The frame is 11", so I've got a minimum of 18" depth. Suh-weet!

Many of the buckets are heading to Atlanta, Ga., via trailer hookup. I will keep a few, since those water-hogging plants (eggplants & bell peppers) love to drink at their own pace, and the reservoirs seem to do the trick for them.

I can't stop looking out my window at the bed! Just a completely empty box sitting in some tilled up soil, but it is beautiful in my sight!

Will build the 2nd box and have them both filled by the weekend, to receive my tomato plants!

Here's an AWFUL pic I took yesterday evening at dusk, on my phone with almost no juice...

I'll post a better pic later.

P.S. After reviewing the layout, this bed is oriented EAST-WEST, with the back fence on the west side. The wind will blow across the bed(s) from the North-South...It's the same orientation as the two bucket pads were...

This message was edited Mar 6, 2012 12:50 PM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 6, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9032214

Linda,

You should post on the square-foot/high-yield gardening forum. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/highyield/all/. Those folks will have a better idea of how to manage your space and the crops to get the best results. The way I plant, I would have room for about 8 tomato plants in your raised beds, with no room for anything else.

David

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9032216

Thanks Dave.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America