Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums: Pelargonium - Days from Seed to Bloom

Communities > Forums > Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums
bookmark
Forum: Geraniums, Pelargoniums and ErodiumsReplies: 12, Views: 106
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cactusman8
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9027679

I have a bunch of geranium (Pelargonium) seedlings started and I have no idea of when to expect flowers from them. None of the seed catalogs that I've searched give this information. Any one out there know the answer to this question?
springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

March 4, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9030089

I grow these every year. I plant in January, in the greenhouse, get blooms by June. I'm in Washington state, you have more heat and light. I bet it will be faster for you. When they come up keep them on the dryer side.
cactusman8
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 5, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9031017

Thanks, Springcolor for the tip on watering and I hope you're right about seeing bloomsin 5 months or sooner.
springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

March 5, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9031604

Here are some of my seed geraniums. The middle one is Tornado ivy geraniums. They were all planted in mid-January. I will pinch in a few weeks. Some say not to pinch the tops out but I have done it both ways and I like the finished geranium that was piched once.

Thumbnail by springcolor   Thumbnail by springcolor   Thumbnail by springcolor
Click an image for an enlarged view.

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9031645

Here is my experience with seed grown pelarginiums (Blcak Velvet from Parks) the notes are from my log:

February 9:
In individual small peat pots: 3 Geranium Black Velvet Rose (Park seed from 2003)

February 12:
Two seeds germinated

February 13:
3rd seed germinated

March 4:
Potted up all three geraniums in plastic pots

May 2-3:
Potted up seed grown geraniums and put them outside in blue ceramic pots

By July they were in full bloom. Shown below. I did need to shape them better, but the times are accurate.

Does this help?

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cactusman8
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 13, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9041171

Donna, my seeds are from Swallowtail ( Maverick and Diva series). They were started 23 Feb. According to your timetable, it looks like it's time to put them into individual pots. Right now there are about a dozen growing in a 4-inch plastic pot. Whaddya think? By the way, those are some beautiful plants you have there. Paul
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9041563

Doesn't Swallowtail provide great seed?

Yes, it sounds about right. DO post, please.
cactusman8
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9042446

My experience with Swallowtail' s seeds has been great. The geranium, angelonia, and ageratum seeds germinated strongly. But due to my own neglect, I lost the angelonia seedlings to a lack of water(they are tiny). And I have some vinca seed which I have not gotten around to planting. Maybe today. These are all new to me. I lean more strongly to vegetable gardening,especially peppers and tomatoes. I have about 12 varieties of peppers started, from sweet to a few of the superhots and 6 or so tomatoes, all selected for taste. The flowers are for my wife's flower garden so that she doesn't have to spend so much of her hard-earned money for plants at places like Lowe's and Wal-Mart. Plus she's getting a more diverse selection than would otherwise have been available.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9042815

I love the incredible variety you get from growing from seeds. And it's great when you find th companies that truly stand behind their products. I was late finding Swallowtail but I'm making up for lost time. By the way, JL Hudson is phenomenal for growing from seed - they are a Watchdog 30 too - and very inexpensive.

Do you use Swallowtail for vegetable seeds?
cactusman8
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 15, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9044453

I haven't as of yet, but I probably will at some time. I' m a big fan of Johnny's and Baker Creek for vegetable seeds. As well as Pepper Joe, Peppermania, and Regal Peppers for my pepper seeds.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9044746

Oh, cool. I've been very happy with Johnny's over the years, and I should check out the others. A friend took pepper seed, sprouted them, and gave them to me a couple of years back. I put them in self watering pots, and they were outrageously sized and very delicious.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Click an image for an enlarged view.

cactusman8
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9045647

That's a SERIOUS pepper you're holding in that pic. Looks like what I know as a bullhorn. Although that one is Texas Longhorn size.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9045827

Oh, thank you cactusman! I'd love to track it down again. While I think putting them in self-watering pots really helped, the flavor was unbelievable. I would just step to my back patio and pull them off for salads, stir fries and grilling. What a luxury!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Never grew these before.. Brugie 21 May 3, 2007 2:20 PM
Visions Light Pink echoes 5 May 4, 2009 8:38 PM
Overwintering - dumb question, I know AlohaHoya 28 Mar 19, 2007 4:00 PM
Hardy Geranium resource links, info, and pics? tabasco 46 Jul 26, 2007 7:26 PM
Plain ole standard geranium....how cold can i let them get?? sticks_n_stones 12 Mar 30, 2007 2:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America