Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Greenhouse: New Cold Frame - 14' Wide by 26' long!

Communities > Forums > Greenhouse
bookmark
Forum: GreenhouseReplies: 4, Views: 131
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jozeeben
Acton, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9028525

Haven't prepped the soil yet by the frame is done & covered with plastic. I was thinking about growing some kind of legume, vetch or clover to build the soil over the summer and then plant it with lettuce in the fall. Any ideas for a hot weather soil builder?

Thumbnail by jozeeben
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jozeeben
Acton, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2012
2:08 PM

Post #9028527

Here's the interior view:

Thumbnail by jozeeben

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 6, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9032253

Clover or vetch either one should help.

You could improve the heat-holding capabilities quite a bit if you added a second layer of plastic inside the frame. I added 4-foot wide bubble wrap inside my frame and it does an excellent job of keeping the interior warmer. I posted a thread with tons of pictures of the whole process under "Shed Frame greenhouse".

Here's a photo of the bubble wrap inside.

David

Thumbnail by dreaves

jozeeben
Acton, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9033113

David - Thanks for recommendations. I may try to grow an early crop of bush beans so I'll have a little more to sell at the farmer's market but I hate picking them. My back is hurting just thinking about it! Where'd you get your bubble wrap?

Joe

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 7, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9033219

Joe,

I ordered it online at Amazon. I paid $50 for a 100 foot roll that is 48" wide. That was way more than I needed, but I will save it for future use. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JZU2DG/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Having the second layer has really made a difference in keeping warm.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Greenhouse Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Online sources for greenhouse film? Terry 11 Oct 31, 2012 5:55 PM
Old Tomcat Sprays My Greenhouse Weezingreens 24 May 22, 2009 5:37 PM
Early 1900s Wm. H. Lutton Glasshouse Jersey City, NJ Abutilon 50 Jan 22, 2009 3:55 AM
Best greenhouse for the money JimKennard 90 Sep 22, 2012 8:54 PM
Santa Barbara Greenhouses? mysticwill 8 May 4, 2009 3:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America