Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Poultry and Livestock: the new arrivals today !

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 31, Views: 201
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9028587

We got
white silkee trio ( 1 cockerell and two pullets )
then we got the mob of some copper marans and some other kinds i can't remember. i think two partridge silkee are in the mix and some americana's ?

Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors
Click an image for an enlarged view.

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2012
9:47 PM

Post #9029034

those Silkies are Awesome!!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9029402

thanks Donna
we lucked out on them
our friend grabbed one of the judges at the poultry show and he picked out the good ones for us :) but one does have a toe issue but she can still hatch out good chics. since the male is good.
they are so fluffy. i want to carry then in my pockets and cuddle them LOL
Copper marans are not the french ones so as it stands if they don't lay a #4 egg color then they are not marans ? but that is only what i have read. i just hope they are not all cockerels LOL that would be bad. 30 cockerels.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

March 4, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9029531

Gotta love them silkies
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9031584

Congratulations. They are lovely!
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

March 6, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9032119

Beautiful!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9032547

well thank you .
i am worried . they have the sneezes and the gurggling sounds ? like if they were congested ? so Duramycin is in the water. took some googling but i think i found the right dose ?
sure hope it works
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 10, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9037548

How are they now?
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 10, 2012
9:34 PM

Post #9037615

Taynors go ahead and put a pretty much complete stop to it now. Order some Tylan powder 1 tsp per gal for 7 to 10 days. treat your whole flock not just the sick ones. The solution is good for 3 days then need fresh batch. I went through that after getting some Millie Fleur hens in the mail and all I did for months and months was make Duramyacin water since it spread to the others one coop at a time, then all were sick at the same time. Then they were all sick again so I finally broke down and bought the Tylan for 50 a jar but it put a end to it and i spent more than that buying package after package of Duramyacin. The cheapest i have seen is on e-Bay at 47.95 with free shipping. It makes 50 gallons so if you don't think you will use it all ask seller what the experation date is. try to get one with 2 yr or more so you have some on hand just in case there is a next time if you get anymore birds.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 11, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9038384

I didnt know you could get Tylan with out a Prescription! I will go to ebay at once and see about getting some! There are NO vets in my area that will treat poultry so getting a Rx is almost impossible! Thanks Donna. Ive a got one wheezer right now no sneezing yet. Hope to nip it in the bud!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9038567

Donna thanks
i was wondering how much to use ? since the instructions are for using the whole bottle ? and it makes like you say 50 gals ?
can i use the same strength for the chics ?
thanks again.
it makes me feel better when someone else has done it and has good luck with it.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 11, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9038763

If the chicks areless than 6 weeks by themselves I would probably use 1/2 tsp to a gal but it is important to treat for at least 7 days but no more than 10 changing the solution after 3 days. That should solve all your problems and while you have their systems messed up from the antibiotics go ahead and worm them after they finish their meds then give them some yogurt for a few days. you can give 3 drops Ivermectic by mouth from a syringe, if 6 weeks or older, less i would probably only give 1 good drop. I just don't think the Ivermectin in water works right. To me it seems to separate out no matter how much I mix it. The water containers seem to have a thick white film on them making me think they are not getting all the wormer they are supposed to get
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9039209

Eufala, my feed store carries Tylan, both powder and injectible (I buy the injectible Tylan 50, 100mls runs about $10 and lasts me beyond expiration). You might call around and see. AFAIK, none of the formulations require prescriptions. All the online supply store I use seem to carry it, Valley Vet, KVVet and Revival.

Donna, I agree with you, Ivomec (and it's generic equivalents) does not mix well with water.

This message was edited Mar 13, 2012 8:41 AM

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9039697

thanks Donna. and catmad.
so why do i need to worm ?
i do have DE in the feed i give them and always sprinkle some in the brooder. Would this be enough ?
thanks a gain
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 12, 2012
10:41 PM

Post #9040550

I don't believe in DE nor do I trust what is could do to your birds. There are many pro's and Con's if you study up on it so I would rather not use it. I would rather use something I know is going to work and safe if directions are followed. I have never seen worms in my flock but that doesn't mean they aren't there since I do have rats get into their feed, they come out of the woods. I believe a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure as the saying goes or i would rather be safe than sorry. Each person has their on views on how the care for their animals and do what they feel is best. Not trying to cram anything down anyones throat. All I can say is before I jumped into chickens I studied for months about everything involved in raising them and their care and chose how I wanted to care for them. I will try other ways if I have no luck if I feel it is safe. Tylan Injectable into the breast muscle causes permanant muscle damage so i used the powder. KenBoy says to inject it into the sinus cavity but I don't want to try it without seeing it done in person so I can ask questions if I need to
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9040812

I've heard wildly differing opinions about DE, but, for me, it's proven useless. Further research led _me_ to believe the risks outweigh the possible benefits. I do add ACV to their water sometimes, but have no idea whether it helps anything, but I don't think it can hurt.
I often give the Tylan Injectible orally. I have used both the Tylan 50 and Baytril IM, with no adverse effects, but, as usual, YMMV. I've also diluted both, and used sub-q, with Vet approval. And considering the way my chickens struggle, I'm not gonna try the it Intra Sinus, either *g*.

It's a learning curve, for me. I think everyone will have different experiences, and I really appreciate all the different viewpoints I find here on Dave's.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9041629

i was wondering if they are getting enough.
oh sure i hear you on the different ways to raise birds. I would rather have something that works. We spent a lot of money on our show birds and they are hard to replace. i would much rather do something that i know will work. i use DE as a secondary measure. But when it comes to worms i would rather use something i know will work. Not all worms are the same ect... i mostly use it for lice and mites .
so with that said. i m on day 2 of the tylan.
i hope they are drining enough ?
i m tempted to put them in the GH tomorrow . it is nice and warm in there and that may get them drinking more ? since it can get up to 80 in there. with a fan of course and in the shade area for my tropicals are.
or do you think keep then in the basement where its 67 and keep them covered and away from the other birds. ?
hmmmm i over thunk lots of stuff. LOL guess i m just worried about our little hen who is sick. she is the one that is the sick one.
thanks again for all the help :)
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 13, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9041730

if you will leave them out after treating I would say put them in the GH but if you plan to put them back in the basement just leave them there while you treat them. Don't think it would be good to move them to very warm place then back to a cooler place without sunshine and fresh air
Giving a second dose of Ivermectin 3 weeks after the first later gets rid of all the lice and mites

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9042175

aaahhh good to know. I am just not familiar with that product.
i will keep them in the basement. much easier after i thought about it LOL
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9042241

This is what I use (not specifically the brand, just a "generic" form);

http://www.kvsupply.com/KVVet/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=20013&gift=False&HSLB=False&mscssid=006CA7EC774C94001920F37CFEA82DBC

You'll see it's not labeled for chickens. I use it for my chickens, cats, dogs, and yes, my cows :). As with any other medication, you need to understand why you're using it, and triple check dosages. There are serious cautions when using it with dogs and cats, but I've never had issues with chickens.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9042966

cool , thanks catmad.
well everyone ( aka chickens ) is resting and the baby's ( aka chicks ) all seem to be cheerful .
i do need to get the silkie chics out in a new brooder. They are just getting smooshed by the bigger breeds.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9056591

well if there is a sucker found e very minute then i got suckered.
so the big batch of chics. I was told were Marans , silkie and EE's well sure they are but they are mixed ! so i got stuck with 11 silkie mixed "mutts " and get this , you tell me ? 16 cockerels that are mixed also !!! she is pretty good at sexing her birds eh ? . wow i feel so suckered but the woman didn't tell me the truth, well she told me what they were, but didn't explain the mixed together part ? so it can taken out of context any way shape or form IMHO.
so we got rid of the 16 cockerels. don't have a budget for that many men around here LOL as with the 11 silkie which i can't show since they are mixed with ??? who knows ? so i got 4 pullets out of 30 *sigh* i guess it could be worse :(
i beleive in buyer beware but to dishonestly do the sucker thing is just wrong. yep me and my rose colored glasses
but other than that the others are all fine and good . they are healthy.
smiles
sue
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9056642

You have me laughing out loud. Thanks for that.

DonnaB said the man that sold her the wyandottes said they were molting when really they were plucking each other's feathers. He probably knew that too.

So, obviously, yes, there seems to be some rather shading goings on in the chicken business at times. Still, I like to think most are honest, but this may not be the case. I do understand not wanting to give your best chickens to someone for a price below their value. Who would want to do that? Still, if I pay a high price for a bird I expect it to be a nice one, and not feel cheated. Time will tell about these birds and seller I just dealt with.

Personally, I would rather not be guilty of lying or deceiving. Sooner or later that catches up to people.

Kind of reminds me of the stories and jokes about used car salesmen. Some use high pressure sales tactics, very similar to con men. They know how to work us.

Who would think raising chickens could be like this? It is really VERY competitive.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9056915

Yes i get you on that . Me too. I would rather be the honest person . I will see her again. i m sure of it . i have her phone number too , if its her real one. ? LOL
the real disapointment is my DD. she really wanted to keep some ,but with so many other chickens we just can't afford to keep 16 cockerels. LOL poor thing. The silkie too. can't afford to keep them with such little egg production and mixed breed .
my DD likes to sell lemonade and eggs at farmers market to sell. She saves half for her college and the other half she buys dog and cat food for our local animal shelter. She was bummed that we didn't have more hens so she could sell more eggs. She wants to foster a dog this summer and adopt a barn kitty . i told her she could if she raised the money herself . i would chip in some too.
its a hard lesson for her also. She is learning not all people are honest. Such a sad life lesson to learn at age 8 .
well we pick ourself's back up, put or big girl panties back on and get our pink boots on to continue our ride, don't we ? ! :)
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 25, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9056995

how sad Taynors. If that person sells at the Farmers Market, everytime I see someone go to her space I would run tell them how dishonest she is
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2012
10:02 PM

Post #9057034

Are you selling the new silkies? ?? The pretty ones in the picture?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2012
4:32 AM

Post #9057157

no those are the show silkies for my DD 4 H. THem i know are show quality .
project for the week is get the turkeys outside in a larger pen.
I have to make a coop for only 4 hens :( uhg. a lot of work for only 4 hens LOL
but i might try and get them in with the other group. That group i have is a mean group of girls. They tore up the last new comer .
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9057271

Sorry I misunderstood.

Yes, you have some great looking show quality silkies, and yes, they probably need their own space. Some people keep their show birds in individual cages to keep them looking their best. One lady that sells online keeps hers in solids stainless steel cages like the vets use. Hey, whatever works.

Pretty sure my girls killed a newcomer not long ago. Too bad I didn't realize what was happening until it was too late.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9057632

oh no problem. i hope i didn't come across as rude ? sorry if i was. no intention meant.
so i m still deciding on where to put the turkeys.
and the new hens.
i hate doing so much work for only 4 hens sheesh.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9058081

No you did not seem rude at all. I was just tired and misunderstood.

Showing them will be exciting and so much fun for your little girl. I'm looking forward to seeing how you all make out. From the looks of that one beauty you should do very well I'm guessing. Please keep us updated.

It may be a lot of work on the pens, but selling silkies is very profitable for some people. At least it certainly seems so from my point of view. lol

That is a touching story about your daughter giving food to the animals. Hopefully she will continue on the road you have placed her on. Good job mom.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9058248

thanks
yep she is a great little kid i got. i got very lucky with her. She loves animals and loves to drop off food for the animals at our local animal shelter.
ok will keep updated on our progress
may start a 4 H thread on the silkie's LOL
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2012
10:32 PM

Post #9058586

Sounds good.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America