-
AuthorContent
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9028663

The peonies have started growing in GA, thanks to the early warm temps here, and all of the rain that we've been receiving, so I'll start this year off by showing the progression of growth of these wonderful plants until they bloom.

Here are Shima Nishiki, Shojuraku, Salmon Dream, Blaze and one of my noid's.

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9028689

Athena, Sorbet, Command Performance, My Love, and Bowl of Beauty. The picture of Athena was taken today, the others on 2/26, and they've grown since then. I'll post some updated pictures in the next few days.

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9028782

Whoo hoo! Kept them coming! Please!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9028784

Hey Donna, I sure will. Noticed any growth up north yet?
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9028788

So nice to see, Cem!

It will come, Donna, it will come.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9028859

Lots and lots of red, but no unfurling. I had eyes on virtually all of them all winter. Some that had not shown eyes (Lady Alexandra Duff and Kansas, truly ripped out of the ground last October) are showing eyes. I still have three peonies in pots! So I moved them from the garage to a cold front room or the back porch so that they could get some light, since my new garage has no windows. Now that I see all those eyes, I am confident.

Yes, Polly dear, it will come!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9028906

Some of mine also are still just eyes, including Red Charm , and I could have kicked my self for stepping on it while taking pictures, since I didn't realize that it had gotten covered up by the pine straw that had blown over it :-( It still has one good eye, so maybe I'll still get some blooms this year.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9029148

The squirrels took two major chomps out of White Frost last year. And I do mean major. I thought that it would not bloom. Much to my surprise, a few of weeks later it started sprouting from other parts of the plant. So don't be surprised if yours does too!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9029352

I can only hope. I was so looking forward to seeing Red Charm's blooms.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 4, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9029358

Here is my pride and joy: yellow Itoh peony ... ta daaaaa

Thumbnail by drthor
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9029369

WOW, what fabulous growth!!!! Which one is it?
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9029410

Howdy Cem, Donna and DThor! Wow, I am jealous - dthor and Cem, your peonies look great. I was so used to being one of the early ones to report growth and bloom but not anymore. However we have had a mild winter too and I can see red pips on mine. Donna, how about you? Will be interesting to see how yours come along Cem/drthor so keep posting.

Steve
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9029535

Ya'll are not going to believe this, I went outside to take a few pictures today, braving the cold and OMG Shima Nishiki has a bud. Now I'll have to protect it this week, we're getting down to freezing tomorrow night. Also, here are pics of the new beds I did last spring. The peonies planted last fall are sharing the beds with spring blooming bulbs, irises, and lilies, with daylilies lining the edges.

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9029539

Very lovely area!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9029543

Oh, wow, Cem! Drthor! It's Texas and Georgia, neck and neck. Spring must be coming!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9029566

Ok Donna, don't shudder as you read this, LOL. Here's a picture of the Knock Out roses (I know eewwww!!!), by my back deck, that's under planted with variegated Vinca, and in front of them are Peony Prima Primavera which is white outer petals with a lemon yelllow center, peonies Bowl of Cream, Imaculee which still has pips, and Gardenia which has now sprouted like BoC. I can't wait to see the combination of red from the roses with the white peonies, and the variegated Vinca underneath.

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9029570

Here are Elizabeth Foster, Paula Fay which continues to grow, Merry Mayshine, a fernleaf that was shipped to me by accident from the fall co-op, Itoh Keiko which is full of pips, and finally Bartzella which is still asleep, but close to Shima Nishiki.

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9029594

LOL! If someone as wonderful as you has KO's maybe they aren't so terrible! Besides, you have three, not 30 like my exneighbor!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9029682

Did I forget to say I have a few in front too, but definitely not 31. That was before I knew better, LOL. Then one year my DH gave me a rose garden for Valentines, and another for my birthday the following year, which did not include any KO's, thank goodness. He even helped me plant them. I'll have to round up a few pics and post them later.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9029704

I think that you are very sweet to forgive me for my KO comments. You are a person of not only taste, but kindness.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9029994

Oh Donna, blushing here. You're entitled to your a opinion about any plant you want :-), and I've learned so much about roses from your posts in the rose forum, and some great sites to order from. That's why we share info so that we can learn from each other. DG has made me such a better gardener, and I'm glad to have found others who are so passionate about what they grow. My friends don't have a clue, LOL.
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 5, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9030996

hi how far up north are looking for ??
here in manitoba canada we're still under a couple of feet of snow, and the forecast
is calling for more this week. we've actually had a very mild winter this year, i'm looking
forward to no die-back on my shrubs !! i'm the proud owner of about 12 varieties, this year i just picked up 'celebrity' and 'lady liberty' they're in a bar fridge till i can plant. last year i planted 'buckeye belle ''festiva maxima' and 'do tell'. peonies do very well here.
my sister has some that were planted probably 50 years ago. and i hear of abandoned farm sites where the peonies are still flowering. i think my favorite is sword dance although a lady in town gave us a few pieces of her double fern-leaf variety. it's been
very slow to take and hasn't flowered yet...but i'm sure it will !!!!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9031340

Hey lindypuddin, I don't envy you the snow. I'm glad to hear that peonies do well for you in Canada. I got Buckeye Bell last spring, and Sword Dance from a fall co-op that was planted last fall. I never grown a fern leaf variety before, but accidentally got Merry Mayshine as part of my fall order. I'm looking forward to seeing how it grows here.
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 5, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9031602

hi cem9165, yeah the winters can be very long, but most days are sunny, when
it's really cold we have 'sun-dogs' small rainbows around the sun, and at night there are sometimes beautiful northern lights, dancing colors of green and pink can be seen.
i have changed my landscaping to look interesting in the winter. tall grasses, and shrubs
with nice colored bark. and after a snow everything looks so fresh.
the air is crisp and clean and the frost goes deep into the ground, plants usually don't heave. we have birds come to the feeders, black capped chicadees and nuthatches. and
the bunnys stay brown, but the big jackrabbits turn pure white. we see snowy owls,
and just last week a great horned owl was in front of the house. my little schnauzer heard
the who who and started barking !! peonies come up from the ground quickly, i plant them
in fairly sheltered places so late frosts don't harm them. i think the plants all like the slumber
everything comes up and blooms with gusto !! thanks for the reply !!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9032479

Hey lindypuddin, Stony Mountain sounds like an exciting place to live. Being able to view the Northern Lights and seeing sun-dogs must be amazing. We just have boring old sunshine and blue skies here, and rarely any rainbows. The birds have been active all winter since we provided seed and fresh water regularly. I've slowed down on feeding for now as they're enjoying the holly berries. I've been broadcasting seeds on the ground for poppies, and I'm hoping they don't become a part of the bird feast.

Today, I was doing my garden rounds and found that what I thought was a pip on Early Glow is actually a bud. This must be the shortest peony known to mankind with a bud on such a small plant. I was thrilled when I found a bud on SN this past week. Maybe the name should be changed to Early Bud, LOL ;~))))) I hope that neither bud blasts.

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9032506

Cem, how exciting. I have more pips than ever but no buds, so they are just teasing me. But I'm ready for them!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9032529

Hey Donna, I'm hoping these plants haven't budded up too early, we've been known to have frosts well into May and one year we had a really bad ice storm at the end of March. If that happens it will be every bud for themselves, LOL. What's crazy is that it's the newly planted peonies that are doing this. My most of my oldies are pips, and for what ever reason the most recently planted peonies are the ones that are growing the fastest. They must love those new beds. I wish I had known about DG when I first started buying and planting peonies. All the peonies received a dose of composted manure in the early fall, and I'm going to put down more this week, while I'm on vacation/staycation.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9032581

I forgot to add, I found these in Walmart today, and thought I'd give them a try. It's for a good cause, Race for the Cure and only $5.38 per package with two roots in each.

Thumbnail by Cem9165

lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 7, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9033085

thats a great deal !!! i was in walmart on the week-end and saw only sarah bernhardt...
i did pick up another bag of LA hybrid lilys...15 for 9.98 a screamin' good deal
but a trip to costco...and BINGO...peonies 2 lady liberty and 1 celebrity for 14.98 !!
they're in the bar fridge as we speak...sorry dear for the warm beer !!!!!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9033917

Too funny, beer does taste better at room temperature???? LOL. I found Festiva Maxima at our local nursery, and it was small but had more than the 2-3 eyes listed on the box. I also found Do Tell potted, with multiple stem and I'm excited about this one, it's one I've wanted but hadn't ordered yet. I'll post pics of those tomorrow. Today in the garden I found more of my fall planted peonies and one of my noids with buds. Here's Salmon Dream, Paula Fay, Merry Mayshine, and my noid on which I counted 9 buds. It's going to be a great spring ;~0

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165

ah3815
Kansas City, MO

March 7, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9034139

My P. corsica has emerged. Do not believe it with bloom by March 15 this year as it has in the past years. Several of my tree peonies, mostly unnamed rock's have broken dormancy.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9035289

ah, please tell us more about your P. corsica. It's a variety I haven't heard of before.
Today I planted Do Tell, Blush Nymph, Vivid, and Festiva Maxima. The rain is on the way, so they should get a good soaking tonight and tomorrow.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2012
11:48 PM

Post #9035373

Donna - don't forget to include California in the race LoL

Tree peonies are budding now.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9035477

How could I forget?!!!

Bring 'em on!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9036263

My answer to all challengers in the race "bring it on" ladies and gentlemen!!!! Just kidding ;~) To continue here is the potted Do Tell that I planted yesterday. Also I found Blaze with buds today. Does anyone else have emerging plants with buds?

Edited to say buds, not blooms.

This message was edited Mar 10, 2012 11:09 AM

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9036269

Here are the roots of Festiva Maxima, I'm glad to be able to replace this one, I left the last at my previous home, the roots of Blush Nymph, and Vivid, all of which were planted yesterday. Everything got a good dousing of rain last night, and the weather will be cool at night to give them a chance to settle in. The eyes were much smaller than on the roots I planted in the fall from Hollingsworth, so I'll baby these until they mature enough to bloom. Annette

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9036640

I had to leave the roots of my Festiva Maxima too. It was my first peony, and enormous. So I installed a new one too.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 10, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9036847

It is so hard to leave plants behind when you move. I can only hope that the new home owner who inherits them will appreciate them.
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 10, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9037348

donna, same thing happened when we moved in 08. this time if i move i'm taking my
favorites with me. here's some pics from last year cheers L

Thumbnail by lindypuddin   Thumbnail by lindypuddin   Thumbnail by lindypuddin   Thumbnail by lindypuddin   Thumbnail by lindypuddin

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 10, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9037381

ohhhh woooowwww
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9037403

My five favorites from the old yard. I actually dug up one, and replaced one.Next time I'll take them all.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9037404

Yes, Dr. Thor, we crossposted, so I know you are responding to lindy, and I agree! Any peonies in your yard? If not, we'll get you next!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 10, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9037482

DonnaMack this is for you: wwwoooooowww

yes I have peonies.
Just stay tune ... Lots of buds already !!

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9037778

I should have guessed!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9037897

I have a problem with "flower addiction" ...
When I moved to Dallas my DH took me to the Dallas Arboretume for the "Dallas in Bloom Festival' ... OMG !
If you ever come do Dallas, make sure to visit during March 15 to April 15th and go to this festival.

Its World-Class Tulip Show is the Best Spot This Side of Holland to See These Beautiful Flowers.
- Southern Living Magazine, March 2011

http://dallasarboretum.org/DallasBlooms/index.htm
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 11, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9037983

you guys are great...thanks for making me smile
donna what is the beautiful red, and is the last one raspberry sundae ?
cheers L
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9038071

The five, from left to right are:

Lady Alexandra Duff (it is supposed to be semi-double, but it is sometimes fully so)

Burma Joy (an early red - the first of my peonies)

Cornelia Shaylor

Mrs. FDR

And the last one, believe it or not, is Festiva Maxima. It sometimes blooms in unusual shades. When I saw that, I grabbed my camera.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #9038074

If I ever leave this place I will dig up every single peony I have. Or so I say now. And my lilies, and and. It will look like a crazed mole has done a blitzkrieg on the yard. I will fill in the holes as a concession to the new owners.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9038381

Lilies, well I dug up 68 lilies! I got multiples of the ones I really loved. I took EVERY Amethyst Temple, Anastasia, Emerald Temple, Crystal Blanca, Regale, Acapulco - you get the picture. I and left some of the ones that multiply like made, like Silver Sunburst and White Henryi, although I took at least six each of those. And no one can tell! HA!
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 11, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9038739

hi all...my realtor in 08 said to leave the plants as they added value... but i have to ask
if you could take only one peony...which would it be ??
for me it would have to be my raspberry sundae.
that might change once my new ones have grown and flowered.
cheers L

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9040016

I have to chime in - here's my 'Coral Charm' emerging from a winter hibernation. It was given to me by a well-known local gardener (whose garden has been on every local tour and featured in several magazines) who said, "I paid $40 for this five years ago and it's never bloomed! Good luck!". It languished the first two years in my border, then put out one bloom in 2009, five in 2010 and it was loaded with blooms last year.

I have several white (NOID - I'm terrible about labeling things) coming up, and last year I added 'Lucky' (dramatic red with yellow center), 'Krinkled White' and 'Sarah Burnhart', which are just starting to peek out of the ground.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

ah3815
Kansas City, MO

March 12, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9040122

If you have to move you can carefully from the back dig and remove a root or two from the peony without doing much visual damage if you fill the hole.

I have suggested to friends that they have the realtor ask the buyers if they will be keeping the landscape. Many times one of the first things they want to remove is the one's that the realtor tells you to leave. Some buyers really would like free labor to remove what they do not want. So always ask but be aware that even written in the contract once the sale is complete the provisions in the contract in most states are void.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9040303

My newer Festiva Maxima, which was given to me by a real sweetheart (Steve, you know who you are) is starting to unfurl. It's an object lesson in what peonies can endure. I installed it in October of 2008, dug it up in April of 2011 and put it in a pot (yes, it bloomed) and then, last December, put it into the ground at my new home.

As for moving plants, I did what I was going to do last October, when things were dying down. While my garden is a major selling point, I did not want to promise to remove what they didn't want or to leave what they did. I didn't bring it up. I showed them pictures of things I was going to leave - some of my biggest peonies, 8 lilacs, smoke bushes, viburnums, lindens, grasses and the like. But I wouldn't raise the question of plants, and would not bring it up. I took portions of plants - for example, I had two epimedium sulphurum that had grown together and I took two portions. I took dozens of lilies and other bulbs - they were not visible. I took six peonies that were fairly new or not too large. I had a ton of anemones, so I took three. Just don't create holes. I took samples of all of my nepeta. I didn't take trees or shrubs or large roses, but I did take two Marie Pavie. I left 21 other roses.

Here is a good example. The peony Cornelia Shaylor stayed, but the salvia ssp. tesquicola, which I grew from seed (3 plants) did not.

Gardens don't add the value that they once did. Buyers are so ridiculous in their demands now that I would not make any additional suggestions on what they can do with the garden. Once it's written into the contract, it's one thing. But until then - and until we go under contract, I consider the stuff in the garden to be mine.

Edited to finish.

This message was edited Mar 13, 2012 8:53 AM

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 12, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9040351

leawood and donna, those pictures are beautiful.
all great advice for those big moves !
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

March 12, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9040457

Donna, you are lucky to live in a state where the contract stays valid after the sale. In this state and most others once the property transfers the contract is no longer valid.

Of course I hope my friends remember my structions when I die. My instructions to everyone is to have a digging party and take any and every plant they want and can dig.

This house has had 3 other owners. The first apparently planted over 100 trees and other woody plants. Second only lived here a short time. The third removed all of the plants and only planted several of the same red rose and yew bushes. They did landscape the grounds nicely but I would have loved to see it as it originally was. Only bad effect the removal has is that where the roots have decayed I have shrunken areas.
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 13, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9040857

i know now to take the plants that are sentimental,
last year we were able to get a tiny piece of the iris that was grown by hubby's grandma
over 40 years ago.
this is the last piece that we know of...hope it grows this spring !
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9043713

Festiva Maxima waking up.

Lois yawning.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2012
2:42 AM

Post #9044570

Great photos and descripions, everyone...

Cem, I wish we had a Monrovia here...you have that as a local nursery? The potted peony is wonderful.

Donna, see yours are waking up here. I am so glad they are doing so well for you in spite of the moves but you have a gift for making that happen.

The weather here has been crazy, almost like I never left Texas...I have daffs in full bloom and timing is not far off what we would have had down south anyway. We've been in the low 80's here in Indianapolis for the past two days for highs. Almost all of my peonies are showing at least some growth and the house I bought...well the lady who owned it had one established peony...and it is furthest along of all of them! She had it buried under those rocks however and I pulled them off as I saw it started to come up. I managed to plant about 22 peonies last fall and already have my order for next fall sent in though have no idea where I am going to put them!

This message was edited Mar 16, 2012 4:46 AM

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9044827

Dear Lindy,

You should always take the sentimental ones. Oddly enough, some of my most sentimental were grown from seed, so I could grow them again. But I have memories of germinating them and putting in my plantlets in fall and the cheer when they appeared in spring. And then watching them mature!

The next category is the out of commerce - saponaria bouncing bett in white, trumpet lily Amethyst Temple, Longidragon.

And speaking of sentimental - Steve gave me six peonies, and I took them all. When I look at the plants generous people gave me, I remember them (OK, I remember the source of every plant!)

Steve, You should see my Coral Charm, which is still in a pot. The eyes are numerous and huge! I'm still trying to place it, since the color is very unique. I have much less sun, but I have been watching for light patterns. The funny thing about CC is that people and their dogs kept stepping on it. You gave it to me in the fall of 2008 and out has, therefore, never bloomed. I am so excited about it. And don't worry! In 6b, you are still ahead of this 5a lady.

It was 80 here yesterday. Amazing. And we are expecting 70's all week. And you know what's incredible. My earliest "emerging peony" picture last year was taken on April 5th.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9045528

Glad the peonies are waking up in IL and IN. Steve we don't have a Monrovia nursery here, but one of our local nurseries, Pikes carries a lot of their plants, a little more expensive, but worth every penny for the quality of plants that I can get.

Here are the two newest babies, Blush Nymph, and Vivid that got planted last week, and they're already putting on some growth.
I gave them a nice drink of water today, along with Do Tell, and totally forgot to do Festiva Maxima. It will get watered tomorrow.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9045537

The Itohs Keiko and Misaka are finally starting to grow, and they're growing from the buds along the stems as well as the base, I glad I didn't cut them down all the way to the ground. Also, Blaze has really taken off and is full of buds, and the noid looks like it may be the first to bloom based on the size of the buds.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9045550

Three of the four plants of Bowl of Beauty have buds, I think the fourth was planted too deep, so I've uncovered it to give more exposure. Here's BoB, Shojuraku, a tp that looks like it will give more blooms this year than last, and Shima Nishiki with it's lone bud that continues to swell. I can't wait to see this one.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2012

Post #9045579

almost ready to open ... weee

Thumbnail by drthor

lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 16, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9045610

hi everyone ! the weather here has been craaazy mild.. snow is gone already.
worried things will come up just to be hit by frost. i remember 97' we had a huge blizzard
on april 9th...couldn't get out of town to get to work.
i see in the pictures no-one has the old foliage left on their plants.
is it better to cut the foliage down in the fall ?
i guess it won't be long and i'll be posting pics too. easy a month early
cheers L
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9045650

Hey lp, I always remove the old foliage to prevent the spread of any disease from the previous season.

drthor, I'm jealous, LOL. You may very well have the first peony bloom of 2012 at the rate your buds are maturing ;-).
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

March 16, 2012
9:56 PM

Post #9045696

Monrovia is a wholesale nursery which supplies the whole US with plants during the season. Competes with Terra Nova and others. Just look around at the tags and pot labels.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9045826

drthor, you may have the honor of being the new Steve (and that's quite an honor) in leading off the season.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9047976

I'm starting to see color on some of my buds. Yipee!!!!

regina65
Searcy, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9048549

I don't see anything sprouting from my peonies I planted last year . They were alive at the end of the fall last year . Did they die . It's been in the 80's here in zone 7 for 2 weeks. I love peonies but may not be able to grow them here.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9048892

Did you check around where they were planted for pips/ eyes and make sure you didn't plant them too deeply?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9048910

regina65
I took a class on Peonies before buying them.
The teacher said to think about Peonies like a "cemetery plant" ...
So no care and abandoned = great Peonies
He also advised : full sun and away from large trees and shrubs.
I did follow his suggestions and he was right !!

Just don't plant them by your front door, because in our crazy hot summer the leaves will turn brown and crispy

Good luck
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9048943

I had peonies that did not appear for literally years because they were planted too deeply. Once I dug them up and moved them they appeared. Since then I've planted them higher and higher. I've gotten some roots that were really weirdly shaped, and I found I could plant them up really high, and as long as they were not trampled they were fine. Some examples from this year.

Peony Lois

Peony Burma Joy

Peony Coral Charm

If they are lactifloras you might try digging them up and replanting them at the surface. I understand that the warmer the temps, the higher the planting.

The incredible thing is that I put in my first peonies in 2001 and I didn't figure this out until last year!!!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack

lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 19, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #9049118

hi folks...in my zone i put them a touch deeper, and cover with chopped leaves in
the winter. last year the foliage was covered with snow before i could get to them.
drthor... so true about leaving them be, collectors find old varieties still blooming at old
farmsites !
donna.. you're pictures always show so much...'keep em comin' !
weather here is pretty crazy...
cheers L
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9049181

Oh kee doh kee

It's such an adventure!
regina65
Searcy, AR
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9049544

I spoke too soon on the peonies . i just checked them Saturday morning and nothing . Today i checked and all three are sprouting. I'm so excited . I must have did something right . I have only had them a year will they bloom this year?
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9049558

Glad you found them, still make sure they're not too deep, they'll grow, but not bloom. I learned my lesson with Sarah Bernhardt, and until the plants were more shallow, no blooms. I have plants that were planted last fall that have buds. Good luck with some blooms this year ;~)

drthor, thanks for the info, guess I may have loved my plants to death, LOL. So no fertilizer?? Nothing?? Too scary to think about that.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9049946

Cem9165
I don't know about no fertilizer ... but I don't do anything to them ... seriously ... I consider them a "cemetery plant" ... like I been thought ...
Here in Dallas I really need to be home when the peonies are blooming to enjoy them.
In fact the worse possible weather happens while they are blooming ... from heavy wind to rain ...
So as soon as they bloom I cut and bring them in the house to enjoy

Thumbnail by drthor

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9049978

Ladies and gentlemen, presenting Miss Shima Nishiki opening her first bloom on March 20, 2012, Tadaahhhh!!!! The peony plants here got a dose of composted manure in the fall, and last week. No rain in the forecast here, so I'll get more pics later when the bloom fully opens. No variegation in the upper portion of the bloom, just on the outer petal. Annette

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9049981

CONGRATS, SHE IS BEAUTIFUL!
Are you on schedule with her blooms compare to last year?
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9049994

This is my first spring with this plant. I got it as a bare root last spring, potted it up, and planted it in the garden in the fall when it cooled down here, and this is it's first bloom for me. As a matter of fact, it's the first tree peony bloom I've ever had. I had Kamatanishiki that never bloomed which is dead now :~(, and Kinshi that has never bloomed. I'm going to move Kinshi to this new bed in the fall.

The herbaceous peonies usually start blooming in April here. We've warmed up so quickly this year that everything is ahead of schedule.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9050022

I had Kamatanishiki and after I stopped pruning off the flower buds for the following spring, I got one gorgeous flower. The most beautiful one I have ever had. Shiminishiki was also beautiful and I got three huge flowers the same year. Two years after the mice killed them, I planted Guardian of the Monastery last fall. I am going to put heavy wiring around it each fall. I am taking no chances with my tree peonies.
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 20, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9050044

drthor..great bouquet, you grow lovely iris too !
had a huge down-pour last night..
bowl of beauty is poking up now, going to check today and see if any others are showing.
can't wait to get celebrity and lady liberty planted.
not sure if i have the right festiva maxima...the picture showed white with red flecks near
the center, i'll see if it blooms this year, and post pics.
cheers L
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9050045

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. But talk about scheduling.

Pic 1: Festiva Maxima, May 5, 2009. This is a mature FM, planted in 2003.

Pic 2: Festiva Maxima, new plant acquired in October 2008, that has been in a pot almost the whole time. This is TODAY, March 20, 2012

I am many weeks ahead of schedule!

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #9050067

Peony Coral Charm, in a pot for months, and in my garage for the winter, was first moved outside in a pot and today to the ground. I really recommend that people do this when they are moving, because the entire root system was intact in the pot.

Pic 1. Peony Coral Charm on March 18.

Pic. 2. In the ground today, every root intact.

Pic. 3. I popped it into the ground in front of some daffodils the previous owner planted.

Pic 4. In the ground on May 3, 2009 - small enough to dig up in October of 2011

Whoo hoo!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #9050125

Oh I hope hope that, despite the record snow, our spring comes early also. I can hardly wait... I planted so many new things last fall - lilies, peonies, tulips (I think). I get confused unless I check my database. Also have poenies coming this fall and think I have already planted them. They have been on order since last year. Two, Nosegay and Prairie Afire, are both sold out now. One from Adelman and one from Hidden Springs. Also anxious to see how the tree peony did through the winter. It would be more than wonderful if it were to bloom this summer but I don't expect it.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9050157

Interesting note.

One of my peonies that showed red eyes in December, Moonstone, looked like the eyes had turned gray, and I thought that they were dead. But they have reddened up again. I've never seen anything like it.

I have grown peonies for almost 9 years but I learned so much this last year. I roughly dug up and tore three peonies. Lady Alexandra Duff, which had been in for several years (I loved it and had to have it) and Kansas, one of my first three peonies (at least 8 years old) that had been a disappointing bloomer. Both of these older peonies have eyes!

So I exposed a peony to extreme cold, ripped two fairly mature ones out of the ground, put most of them in pots in April, repotted them in December, and planted them this spring extremely high. Not all of the ones in pots bloomedland year. But they are fine. If there are not going to be passers by. My Coral Charm got stomped three years in a row. I am finding that, in at least zone 5a, I can plant them sticking out of the ground with no mulch.

These plants can take anything! I am experiencing far more success than when I handled them gently. For the first time, ALL of my peonies have broken dormancy. Which is great, because I just hate knowing that something is there but it doesn't bloom year after year. Moonstone, in several years, had only bloomed once.

I broke all the rules.

Maybe I should just go out and slap them around!

This message was edited Mar 20, 2012 10:54 AM
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9050176

LOL. If mine can grow, it would sort of argue for either ignorance of rough treatment. I just dig a 2' hole, put a little gravel in the bottom for drainage, good soil, the root, and cover maybe an inch or so above the buds. Of course as it gets watered and settles seems like it all but sticks out above ground. I have added a little soil on some of the really exposed ones over the year. Otherwise they become pools of ice in the spring. And yet, even then they all grew and grew and more and more blossoms. I don't cover them at all in winter. The herbaceous and itoh's. I did cover the tree peonies but wonder if they were just ready tobloom (especially after I stopped pruning them in the fall) or if the cages and burlap helped the buds to be healthy. Hope I get to find out which with the new one
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9050226

Cem, that is lovely. Don't be surprised if you get flowers that are all red, red and pink or all pink with the Shima Nishiki. As the plants get bigger, the blooms also get larger. They also tend to close up at night and reopen in the morning sun.

I see from your earlier post that you just purchased some new bare roots. I don't know how they'll perform for you, but when I planted them in the spring, they did nothing that year. The following year they grew but without blooms. In the third spring they had a few buds, many of which dried up without opening. By the fourth spring (3 years later) they started looking like peonies, and now the are going great guns. Some of the peonies just grew but never bloomed, so last year I dug them up (they had bid roots) and planted them elsewhere and probably not so deep, and they are very happy.

I just planted an intersectional which looks great, but I have lost 2 tree peonies that never really "took."

In your zone you probably have perfect winter temps to make blooms but not bloom too late. Here peonies are referred to as the Memorial Day flower (another reference to the cemetery).

All of these came from Costco about 4-5 years ago.

This message was edited Mar 20, 2012 12:55 PM

Thumbnail by cathy166   Thumbnail by cathy166   Thumbnail by cathy166   Thumbnail by cathy166

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9050321

Mary, when we're roasting in Hotlanta, and our blooms are over, we're going to have zone and bloom envy. Hopefully those bad mice didn't chew your stems this year.

DonnaMack, you've got some fabulous growth going on. Keep on " abusing" those peonies, LOL. I agree that I wish I had known to plant my first peonies more shallowly that I had gotten years ago. I have a few I'm going to have to raise/replant in the fall that I've never seen bloom.

Cathy, except for Red Charm that I got from GH Wild, the other bare roots were from Hollingsworth, and they're doing well. So far good growth, and some of them have buds that don't appear to be blasting. Time will tell. The Itohs Keiko and Misaka that i got as potted plants last spring have handled their fall transplant into the ground well, are growing rapidly and both have buds.

I've got 4 tree peonies coming from a co-op soon. I'm going to keep them in pots till the fall then abuse them, I mean plant them in the ground then, LOL.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9050380

Annette, could you point me in the direction of a peony coop? I haven't participated in any coops as they looked sort of intimidating.
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 20, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9050818

i buy from costco too
cathy what are the names...love the second one
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2012
11:34 PM

Post #9050962

I like them all but the third one is blowing me away.
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 21, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9051202

i'm taking a guess at sorbet and top brass are 3 and 4
c'mon cathy don't keep us in suspense !! lol
L
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9051266

Well, #2 has a goony in the nest as th flower to the upper right isn't the same as the other flowers in that picture.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9051270

a goony?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9051272

LOL. A goony bird! They leave their eggs in other birds' nests to be cared for by the other parent. The flower to the right doesn't look like the other four, unless it is in a 'newer' state and the others are more mature.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9051276

As speediebean would say..giggle!
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9051308

The second one is Nymphe (or Numph) and I'll have to check on the others. One is Raspberry Sorbet, but I have to find my notes, which may take a while.

By the way, they're already sending their little red pips.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9051322

Thanks!
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 21, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9052007

this crazy temperature has mine coming up too
is this global warming ???

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9052064

My Itoh peony is almost open ...

Thumbnail by drthor

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9052150

Anticipation!!! Anti-ci-pa-a-tion, it's making me wait!!! LOL. Can't wait to see your bloom. Which Itoh is it?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9052155

It is a yellow one ... I dunno the name as usual ... the tag is buried with the plant ... ah ah
I will hold my breath ...maybe tomorrow.
The great thing is that the plant might have 50 buds ready to bloom !!!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9052156

Ok, now I have bud envy. Hope you get some open blooms tomorrow.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2012
9:09 PM

Post #9052260

And people laugh at ME!!!! Anticipation ---- an-ti-ci-paaaaaaaa-shun...
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2012
10:44 PM

Post #9052294

50 buds . WOW. That is going to be quite a sight when they start blooming. i bought my first ITOH 2 years ago and i hope it blooms this year.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9053422

Here are better pics of Shima N. now that it's a little cooler. I've also got some irses starting to bloom here as well which is very early for me. This iris is in one of the new beds that were created last spring for the peonies. The lilies are also starting to grow well.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9053427

I am a true peony nut, but I love bearded iris just as much. that white and blue is gorgeous.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9053429

Salmon Dream has nice fat buds, and this noid looks like it may open in the next 1-2 days. The iris is Stitch Witch, I almost didn't see this little bloom.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9053449

Glad you like my little iris. It's called Forever Blue. I got them at Lowes last year, kept them in pots till it cooled down, and planted them in the fall. This is the first time I'm seeing it and Stitch Witch bloom ;~)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2012
10:00 PM

Post #9053530

I like Stitch Witch also. It reminds me of Alaskan Seas that I got from Shreiners -- one of many that didn't survive. Could have found that out with a lot fewer plants and less money.
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2012
4:44 AM

Post #9053644

Congrats Cem and drthor on your peonies. Looking forward to seeing more pictures as yours bloom! Sad thing is, we're not far behind you at all...mine are coming up like gangbusters and I have several with clearly defined buds. Will take some more pics and post tonight after work. Like Donna we have had a very warm winter relatively speaking and temps in 70's and 80's all week long - and in fact it has been warmer here than in TX the past few days. Daffs and hyacinths in full bloom here and I even had some tulips open yesterday.

Thought I had lost my new Garden Treasure - saw the tag and was digging around pretty frantically to locate it but coulld not. Then, yesterday looked up about a foot from the tag and there were four shoots coming up right in front of some daffodils - LOL - so I am happy again.

Have to say I am disappointed in the Adelman peonies I got this year. Roots much smaller and spindlier than in years prior and I have several still showing now signs of life which has me worried since most of the others are up. I dug around a little and still no pips. The Klehm and especially the Hollingsworth peonies were wonderful this year and are growing aggressively.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9053676

Cem and drthor, thank you for the beautiful pictures. It was 84 here yesterday, so things are really moving along, and it's raining now, which is great. I have buds on 2 of my peonies. I still have two left in pots - sending up little stems!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9053689

Steve, (we cross posted) how disappointing. All of mine are up and yours should be too.

I have always heard how wonderful Adelman peonies are supposed to be. They were incredible at a peony convention a couple of years back. But I must say that the only peony I bought from them, Paul M. Wild, never appeared. I just assumed I didn't know what I was doing. The odd thing was that, hard as I tried, I could never find it. Other peonies that didn't appear were simply buried too deeply.

But at least you have your garden treasure! I have some peonies with buds (unbelievable) and I think you and I will be neck and neck.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9053916

I have gotten several from them. Some planted last fall and more coming this fall. I admit they are no where near as large as the honkers I get from Reath's Nursery, but they do okay. Cora Louise took three years to take off where Reath's generally bloom the following summer after planting.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #9054368

I have to chime in and say that the Hollingsworth peony roots planted last fall are growing nice plants this year. They had 3-5 pips and most of the plants growing have buds now. Salmon Dream posted above was one of them.

Edited to say hey Steve, I'm glad your plants are doing well up north. Can't believe this crazy weather. Everything is growing and blooming much faster than I expected.

This message was edited Mar 23, 2012 6:56 PM
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 23, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9054547

hi folks
snow's all gone, heard a robin yesterday. most peonies are poking up. moved sword dance last year.. so it's a bit slower.
the winter was so mild, i'm hoping for no die-back on the shrubs.
would love to plant a white peony in a new all white bed this year...any ideas ?
thanks L
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9054569

Hey lindy, I had to stop and think for a minute, white peonies hhmmmm!!!! I couldn't think of any, then the brain kicked in and realized I had a few. The last one that I planted in the fall but hadn't seen bloom yet is Requiem. Here's Baroness Schroeder and Curonne d' Or. Also white are Bowl of Cream, Imaculee, and Gardenia.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 23, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9054590

Finally my yellow Itoh MISAKA Peony ... wee
the picture doesn't give justice to the flower ... it also so fragrant !!
WOW !!

http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/2989/misaka-beautiful-blossom-itoh-peony.php

This message was edited Mar 25, 2012 7:47 PM

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor

ah3815
Kansas City, MO

March 23, 2012

Post #9054595

Having a problem posting but part of the problem with the roots from Adelmans and other's from that area is that the growing conditions caused by the weather last year. Many plants did not grow as well as normal.

My specie peony P. caucasia is in bloom. Week later than normal.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9054611

drthor, what is the name of your itoh?
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9054627

Just gorgeous drthor, the color is so rich, with a beautiful center.
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9054664

Wonderful white peonies, Cem. In fact I found one I love called Wisconsin Cream on Klehm's site...is it bad to be buying for next fall's planting already??? LOL Donna, am looking forward to seeing how yours all do this year...you have such a gift for growing them!

Donna, all of my Hollingsworth's and Klehm's peonies are up. I agree they all should have shown by now. I have three with no activity and all are Adelman's. I get the bad weather affecting growth but am disappointed at the fact that they're likely dead. The ones that are growing look weak, so Ah I am sure you're right but I didn't expect dead plants from them. Especially since one, LePerle, was one I was really looking forward to and had put in a prominent spot. Oh well! At least my Adelman's Bartzella made it which I am happy about but can tell there will be no flowers this year. Oberon, I will have to try Reath's...I have seen their site and like the fact that you can buy extra-large plants from them.

Now I have an excuse to place a Klehm's order hmm..right about now! LOL
'

This message was edited Mar 23, 2012 11:07 PM
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9054686

Thanks Steve. I just looked at WC on the Klehm's website. It's really pretty, how are the roots from them? BTW, you are not allowed to order yet, LOL.
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

March 23, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9054691

Le or La Perle? If La Perle I will look for mine. Is planted in heavy shade and cane berries. If looks healthy can send you a division ths fall. One of several in that area that need to be moved.
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 23, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9054736

great cem thanks for the pictures, i've heard of imaculee... but not the others.
how many peonies do you have ??
i've been checking catalouges and found an itoh called 'cora louis' thats white,
are itoh's easy to grow ?
now i need to come up with a list of white perennials to go along with the peony.
the bed will be close to the patio, so i'm hoping to have fragrant annuals as well.
cheers L

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #9054913

Cem, don't tempt me! I love white peonies, but found that everything I had was white, or, unexpectedly, became white in our sun. That's when, with Steve's help, I started going wild with color. Burma Joy, White Cap (one of my favorites), Lois (wow is she vigorous!) and I pulled up and repotted Kansas. Cornelia Shaylor and Mrs. FDR would morph to white. I started going wild with lily colors too (lots of red - yee haw!)

Drthor, congratulations on your beautiful ITOH. Please send more pictures of that beautiful thing.

Steve, it's weird that my very best peonies every were from The Peony Superstore in Canada, which had bad reviews. The Cornelia Shaylor and Mrs. FDR I got from him jumped out of the ground first season, have a ridiculously high bud count, are fool proof and beautiful. They were so big I couldn't take them with me. It troubles me that the Adelman peonies were busts. They have such a fine reputation, and it seems to me that they should have let their customers know of potential disappointments, and offer possible replacement up front. The thing that is a real drag is that it messes up your presentation. I placed my peonies with a lot of thought to their reliability. That's why Lois is right up front with Festiva Maxima, White Cap and White Frost (which is essentially a Festiva Maxima on steroids - incredible!) but not Moonstone (which took three years to give me a flower). Coral Charm was in a pot, and showed such ridiculous robustness that it got a prominent location. I am utilizing Burma Joy as a kiss kiss to my neighbors on one side (that gorgeous thing can take quite a bit of shade).

But when you plant a new peony in a prominent spot, and one from so highly regarded a supplier, and it does not perform it is particularly disappointing. Yes, White Flower Farm sends the wrong peonies (4 for me) but the quality of them is fabulous.
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9054976

Donna, have seen the Peony Superstore and also saw the poor reviews...but he did have a great selection and I had considered trying that vendor. You're right about WF; they get a bad rap sometimes too but the bulbs and peonies I have gotten from them over the years have been top notch. I have not bought peonies from them for several years but the ones I got were the very first ones I'd tried at my first home in TX and I remember two of the three plnats blooming first year. Got some spectacular dayliies from them that did extremely well. They are kind of expensive but if you look closely at their selections they have the same stuff many of the major vendors do - e.g. lilies - some of the varieties they carry have I ONLY found with one other vendor and that is Lily Garden which makes me wonder if that is from whence WFF sources many of its lilies.

Thanks Ah for your offer and generosity. Yes, it was "La Perle" so I misspelled. Will see what happens and let you know how things turn out. I have no problem buying a new one, just not something I would have expected from this vendor is all, as Donna mentions. By the way Cem..the roots from Klehm are great...not as "big" but more fibrous than the ones from Adelman, which tend to be very long and thick but only one or two central runners, wheeras Klehm's aren't as long but have more roots that are smaller, almost more like a daylily's. The Klehm and Hollingsworth ones seem to have more eyes though the Klehm roots at an initial glance look significantly smaller than Adelman's. Hollingsworth's are in the middle. All three have been terrific performers and I can see no difference in vigor and bloom between Adelman and Klehm peonies. Actually the ones with highest first-year bloom counts seem to consistently be Hollingsworth's.

Cem - I am so jealous of you and drthor with the early bloom but have to say we are right here with you at least this year. In fact I have some Sir Winston Chuchill narcissus that are starting to bloom here and the normal timeframe in TX was beginning of April. I even have some tulips opening - can you believe that In March in the Midwest??

Oh look I have a picture...Adelman on left (can you believe these are significantly smaller than years past?) and Klehm on right (five plants). You can see a distinct difference. This pic is from last October and I didn't get Hollingsworth's till November. The Adelman roots look healthy so again surprised at the three no-shows. They were planted in the same beds as the others so nothing specific to the planting site like a drainage issue.

This message was edited Mar 24, 2012 8:51 AM

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9055032

Wow, Steve, the differences are really distinct, in terms of the roots. It's funny - you sent me both Klehms and Adelmans and they were distinctly different, but all were successful. And the fact that you planted them in the same conditions indicated that the roots are truly the problem since you are an expert in the cultivation, and certainly planting, of peonies.

Are you going to let Adelman know? I was so impressed at the peony show that I would have ordered from them, dispite my disappointment with Paul M. Wild.

And yes, it's very bad to be planning for next year now! Naughty!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9055109

Reath's I believe is somewhat more expensive than some others, but I swear he just digs up whole plants and sends them. My first order he sent me Red Charm as a freebie. I have an order in to Adelman's for this fall. It will be interesting to see how the ones I got from them last year perform this spring. In the dahlia world the size of the tuber doesn't equate to vigorous plants as has been proven to me over and over. Scrawny little tubers have produced large multi-bloom plants. Not so with peonies.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9055191

I just went through my records and realized that I ordered Paul M. Wild and Tourangelle from Adelman in 2003. Neither ever appeared. So I think that sometimes they just have a very bad year.

Reath's pricing stucture is interesting. Iwent to the website and he actually sells some peonies in three sizes. Garden Treasure is listed as $125 for a three year old plant and $200 for a five to six year plant.

Little Red Gem is $18 for a 3 year plant, $30 for an extra large 3 to 5 year plant, and $60 for a double division.

But some come in only one size, extra large 3-5, and are one price, like Mrs.FDR for $30, Moonstone for $90 (!!!), Kansas for $25 and Festiva Maxima for $24. I own these three, and the prices, while on the higher side, don't seem out of line except for Moonstone, which has been in commerce forever (Murawska, the retired railroad engineer from the Chicago area) and which even Klehm, who is hardly the cheapest, sells for $28.95.

Has anyone ever ordered from A&D? Their images got me hooked on peonies, and it was their imaged of Mrs. FDR and Cornelia Shaylor that got me to buy them (for about $15 each from The Peony Superstore), and the above mentioned Tourangelle.
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9055209

Well Donna thank you for the nice words and while I would not consider myself an "expert" by any means I do think I have the planting thing down...I am good at selecting appropriate sites and in planting properly. I did plant these about a half inch deeper than I would have in Texas. I did plant >120 peonies in TX and ALL of them came up and bloomed in a much less peony-friendly environment, bar none, so don't think it is me :-) Your experience helps confirm that..and maybe the Klehm and Hollingsworth peonies are just better suited to us due to climactic likeness and growing conditions' similarities. Or could be just a bad year or issue with transport :-) I think I will try a Reaths plant or two; for the higher price you get a much more mature and advanced plant when ordering the extra-large sizes. If you order from A&D let me know how they are; their reputation is good as are their reviews from what I remember. BTW I just ordered 7 Klehm peonies including Wisconsin Cream :-) And a REALLY cool one named Pink Lemonade. Oh and my B&D lily order just showed up but was short one variety :-( What is going on in the PAC NW this year LOL.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9055268

You planted 120 peonies in TEXAS and they all came up?! Wow! I think that's expertise - you're so modest!

Speaking of lilies - a quick off thread. Guard your Silver Sunbursts (which is easy - they multiply like mad and I have given away at least ten, took about ten and have about that many at the old house) because Scott at OHG has on his website that he has not had it since 2004 (I ordered it in 2003, from HIM) and he can't find a reliable grower!

Maybe the Occupy Portland protesters riled up the air too much!

Just looked up Wisconsin Cream and Pink Lemonade. Steve!
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #9055345

You can see the dead peony (Big Ben) to the left of the hole. Couldn't take it anymore so went out and dug up my peony to see if it was there, and yes, fully intact, not rotted or dissolved, just DEAD. Oh well...needed a spot for my lilies that just arrived so I put them there. Will expand this bed later. The two peonies on either side with the green tags are from Hollingsworth and they are doing fine.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9055346

Donna, did you like them?? Maybe one will find its way to you if you're good :-) I have an obsession with Bombs now...was Japanese/Anemones.

Here is a closer shot of the dead root.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9055360

Now you have me worried Steve. Your dead root looks just like some I got from Adelman's last year. It is such a long winter to find a dud -- if it happens. I know their peonies were late last year due to so much rain. I couldn't resis and ordered two tree peonies from MamaJack's. And determined that Clearview Orca dahlia was dead from last year so found a supplier (new to me -- Clearview Dahlia) for Clearview Orca and ordered three (1 of orca and two others different).
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9055375

How do Dahlias do for you, Oberon? I planted them in TX and they would overwinter no problem and developed just huge root systems but never grew nice plants because of the heat. Do you dig yours up I assume? When do they bloom? I imagine your less intense sun would work well for them. On the Adelman peonies, I planted 12 last fall from them and 9 are showing growth, this one for sure is dead and I strongly suspect the other two are as well. They are all in different beds and all share beds with the 10 Klehm and Holl. peonies all of which have growth. Maybe I just got some duds but 75% is not very good. I have ordered from Adelman for a few years though and never had this happen with their stock so maybe this is just a fluke. Best of luck to you!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9055446

Steve, I'm sorry to see that the root is dead. Is it still firm? No pips at all ? ;-( It's really disappointing when that happens. Will they send you a replacement?BTW, I'll be jealous when you have blooms, and mine are over as we roll from south to north.

Lindy, you're welcome. I don't know how many peonies I have, I'll have to do a count. I added a bunch in the fall, and have a few tree peonies coming from the co-op. I need to write them down in one place to keep track.

This message was edited Mar 24, 2012 5:05 PM
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9055459

Thanks Steve. Yes, I dig and store the dahlias in the winter. I start them up when they yell at me around the middle end of March in the garage. I lay them in a try with soil so I can get a lot in one tray. That way I don't waste pots work and soil on duds. had a few this year. They start blooming around the end of June up to mid July depending on where they are planted. Then they go nutso for the rest of the summer til around end of September if weather holds. Clearview Orca was a tiny propagated thing from Corralitos. It grew into a 4x4' bush with over a dozen 6" flowers, in a not particularly wonderful. I couldn't hold the tuber over the winter though. The stem was about 2.5" across and even though I dried it out, it rotted over the winter - not the tuber, just the stem. Same with a couple of other propagated. I guess I will steer clear of those for us. Pirl says they work well for her.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9055461

CEM9165, you really have to love spreadsheets and databases! Or at least I love mine. It adds to the workload a lot but I would have no idea what, or how, or how long, or when they grew or when they bloomed from one year to the next if I didn't log it in. Just created a new one from a nice chunk of WS data online. Added my own columns for planted, germinated, how, comments, where the seed came from. Some people knit/crochet, some garden, some read --- I do that and databases and/or spreadsheets. Just like a crossword puzzle.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9055483

Steve, as they say - what's not to like? I started out with big pale doubles, except that Cornelia Shaylor was a bomb, but now have a single and a semi double. And you know, after tying up the monsters, it's refreshing! I mean, really. Cornelia and Mrs. FDR defied Lee Valley rings. Look at these things - and they're not open yet (maybe I should get a pick ax and go after them) The pic is from last June. Mrs. FDR is in front, and she came with me.

Related to the dahlias, I overwinter my calla lilies by simply withholding water and throwing the pots in the basement. They let you know when spring has come by starting to grow. Then I give them fresh soil (maybe), ferilizer and water and off they go. I started with two pots but the reproduce so quickly I had ten full pots before I transported them in freezing weather in the trunk of my car and left them for a few days. Now I have seven pots, with at least 8 to each pot.

Glads I overwinter by cutting back the foliage, leaving the plants to dry in the garage or sunlight, dust them with fungicide and put them in paper bags. This is another plant that lets you know "IT'S TIME" by growing. I put them back in the ground. Sometimes they are growing sideways but I put the bulb basel plate down and they get with the program.

The great thing about the two is that you do NOTHING!

This message was edited Mar 24, 2012 3:35 PM

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9055485

Cem, haven't even contemplated asking for a replacement yet. Not sure what their policy is on that but usually they just guarantee for something to be healthy upon arrival and any failure is usually blamed on gardeners' practices or climactic conditions. I will let them know I had three failures and see how they respond, so see what happens. Yes, it is firm and turgid like a carrot (which it should be), but no I could not find any eyes - I have an eyeless peony - and even if there were no eyes I would at least expect some root growth and non of that either. It snapped when I bent it but was not dry or brittle like a dead branch. Inside looked and felt moist. Took some photos just in case I call Adelman's but threw the root out. My La Perle is in the front yard in a prime spot and I will probably do same with it - I have a bunch of stuff coming any time - lilies, hostas, astilbes, and daisies...might plant the daisies there since it is a sunny spot.

Oberon, I track all my stuff too with spreadsheets. Too funny. Everything from bills to what plants I order and when. Really helps me keep track of things.

This message was edited Mar 24, 2012 4:35 PM
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9055487

Wow Donna what a gorgeous peony. That is what mine strive to look like when they grow up :-)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9055534

I can almost smell the poenies. I don't order bombs anymore. Red Charm is enough and it has stems strong enough to hold them up. I love cala lilies but I was told they bloom at the wrong time for us. Like winter rather than summer. When do they bloom for you?
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9055546

Donna, those peonies are absolutely GORGEOUS!!!! I can't wait till my new ones mature to that size. Come on my little babies, look at Donna's plants and learn, LOL.

Steve and Mary, I'm a computer idiot. If I started doing spreadsheets, the garden would never see me again. I really should learn how, maybe one of these days.

Steve, even if they don't send replacements, at least you should get a credit, you've done business with them for years, they should at least honor that. Could you pot up the others even though no roots if still firm, to see if anything happens?
A few years ago I had a broken piece of a peony root with no pips, i planted it just for chuckles, it keeps coming up every year, tiny and no blooms yet, maybe eventually it will. BTW, which new lilies did you get? Annette
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9055553

Donna, you're right, I have calla lilies in pots that spent the winter in the garage. They started growing without being watered for months. I just put them outside last week, I need to throw some bulb food on them.

Mary my callas bloomed mid to late summer here. They were planted last spring, I got them from lakesidecalla's co-op.

The glads here are suppose to be lifted. I've been too lazy and didn't do them again, they spent the winter outside in the pot that they've been grown in for the last two years and they've come back again.

This message was edited Jan 1, 2013 11:07 PM
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9055559

I dig my glads and do what you do -- into paper bags. I just potted them up several days ago and I see pips growing. If I don't stop ordering and growing ordering and growing I will have to tear out all the lawn this summer to accommodate it all.
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9055574

See this peony...took this just a few minutes ago...the one peony that was at the home I just bought...it is really moving along...

Cem, I think you're right. I have spent a LOT of money there over the years and they strike me as an upstanding business. Will see what they say. Most of the ones that did sprout are weak looking. Bartzella looks nice as an exception but pretty sure there will be no blooms this year. My only other Itoh is Garden Treasure from Hollingsworth and it came up after Bart but growth is very strong and lots of shoots coming up. I thought about what you said about potting up the others and might do that just to see what happens. I made three lily orders...one for OT's from B&D, a second with mostly Orientals from B&D, and a mixed order from Lily Garden. Only the first has arrived yet. I planted three each of Paraguay, Belladonna (one of my favs), Dalian, Conca d'Or, and Gerez. I ordered three of Saltarello having had it in Texas and loved it...but was not in the box. So, will be writing B&D a note too. Orientals didn't work well in the TX heat but since Donna grows them so well I am gonna give them a try too this year.

This message was edited Mar 24, 2012 5:46 PM

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9055577

The peony in the left foreground is Bartzella (Adelman), and in the left background near the door is an incredibly strong White Cap (Klehm) - one of my favs. Looks like WC will produce at least two flowers this year.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #9055579

Falcon - a red double from Klehm...looking good and likely two flowers on this one as well. Have never grown or seen this one before but the picture looked beautiful

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9055581

Coira Stubbs - Klehm - one of my very favorites...three buds on this one. My CS in Texas grew and bloomed prolifically too for a young plant.

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9055626

Regarding callas, by late June they are fully foliaged, and start blooming the first week of July. Here they are on June 28, 2010.

Some of the older doubles become incredible after a few years. Mrs. FDR from the Peony Superstore is just outrageous. The number of buds is astounding. I had four peonies in this advanced stage of development. You can see why I want it again.

And the flowers change shape! And color!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9055842

Steve your peonies are looking fabulous already. My first experience with Hollingsworth was this past fall from the co-op, and I'm very pleased with what I received from them. Me being the nut that I am, I acutally counted the eyes on all the roots received,and they numbered any where from 3-7 eyes per root. Many of these new plants have buds this year. Hope your misbehavin' peonies work out.

Sounds like you've also got some nice lilies to look forward to. I've had Belladonna for several years, it is pretty, and Conca d' Or was planted last spring, hope it does well this year. It did bloom but only got to 3ft it's first season of growing.

Donna, I'm drooling all over my computer screen, those blooms are to die for. I'm gonna have to check out the Peony Superstore.

Mary, I'm glad your glads are doing well already. Who needs grass anyway, LOL. I'm slowly but surely takng ours out little by little, I'm gonna have to make room for the new tree peonies coming. The DH and DS don't even realize it yet.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9055863

"Better to beg forgiveness than ask permission" - pretty much always works for me. :)
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9055880

Good point, so take grass now, ask for forgiveness later, will do.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2012
10:04 PM

Post #9055920

:)
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9056701

Buds on Lois and Burma Joy.

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9056733

I so hope they do that co-op with Hollingsworth again. Those roots were fantastic!

Donna, your peonies are to die for!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9056767

Good looking plants Donna, you're going to have an early bloom season as well.

Polly, I discovered co-ops last year, and I have to say that I loved the peonies I received, and at great prices.

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9056801

Wow Donna terrific looking...especially consisering they have been moved a couple times...buds and all - congratulations!

I put Cora Stubbs and White Cap close to the front door...CS has 5 buds and WC has three...those are probably my two favorites. I see where my La Perle was supposed to be and say "arrggghh". Hopefully Bart will make a nice specimen next year.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9056807

Cem, that sure was a good co-op. I really want Duchess de Nemours this year. I need to expand into the Itohs and the tree peonies.

Hi Steve, funny seeing you with a new name. Your threads always made the end of my winter cheery. Now you're in a colder zone than I am.
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9056810

Here is White Cap

Thumbnail by SteveIndy

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9056816

What a glorious day was today !
Lots of Peonies starting to bloom ...

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor

SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9056818

Hi polly...thanks :-) Good to see you again. Well this year we're on almost the same timetable as the south!!!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9058425

Today was a good day. I was potting up my roses from Reagan's Nursery, hanging out on my back deck, and happened to glance into the left peony bed. Lo and behold, I spotted something red. I walked up close to see Merry Mayshine blooming. It's had a bud since it emerged, kind of dried up looking, and I didn't think I'd get to see it bloom. Well MM proved me wrong. Yay! This is one of the tubers from Hollingsworth that was planted last fall. It only has one stem, but I'll take it. This my first and only fern leaf peony.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 26, 2012

Post #9058444

More and more everyday ...

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 26, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9058477

Those blooms are soooo pretty drthor. Don't leave us hanging, what are their names?

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2012
4:38 AM

Post #9058759

Congratulations, Annette! Merry Mayshine is gorgeous!

Drthor, the pale pink bloom in the first photo is so gorgeous - what is the name?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9058794

Wow! Was I here just yesterday? The changes are startling!

Thank you, Polly. I really want to find room again for Mrs. FDR. The soil in my new yard is fantastic. Years and years of being mulched with chopped leaves makes it a piece of cake to dig in. You can easily get a shovel all the way down! At the same time, lily of the valley, hostas, violets and ditch lilies have been partying. I'm getting lots of exercise removing them.

Yes, Cem, I am hugely before schedule. My peonies have always bloomed, pretty much like clockwork, on May 31. Not this year! And congratulations on your little red surprise!

Steve, how great about White Cap. I love that peony. It's funny, but I am no longer quite sure where I put it. I know where I planned to put it. I won't actually know until it blooms, but it produced for me after I moved it last year. I believe that I meant to put it up front and center in my new beds, along with Festiva Maxima and White Frost. But if I'm wrong, I have learned that the little devils can always be moved, especially as junior peonies. The Kansas and Lady Alexandra Duff that I basically tore out of the ground at home are still in pots. And starting to grow! Where to put them - I'm still figuring it out.

And oh, drthor! You are rocking out! What lovely peonies!

Will this be the year north and south are in bloom at the same time? Wouldn't that be fun? I wonder how Carol (Fancyvan) is doing with hers?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 27, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9058865

I am so bad with names ...
So far the Peonies that bloomed in my garden are Tree peonies and two Itoh (yellow is Misaka and the pink is Keiko)
The white one is the regular peony ... so fragrant ...
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 27, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9059221

hi ! my peonies are just poking up.. keeping pace with the tulips and daffodils.
thankfully they're not up any higher..rain since last night, going to turn to snow this evening !
love all the beautiful pictures
cheers
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 27, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9059278

LOL - no sign of anything here yet and it will be a while I am sure!

I do have some tulips. hyacynths and daffs and the rhubarb coming up in a warm south facing bed but so far that is all.Strange year weather wise here and March/April is often when we get the most snow.

carol
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9059313

Does anyone have or know where it might be purchased "Sweet May." Ordered last year from Hidden Gardens but their order got mixed up and so they didn't send. Now it is sold out.
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9059699

Haha thanks Donna...I know that is tough for you not knowing where WC is since you are such a "planner".

I will say I wrote Adelman about my peony woes and I got a quick response back with an apology and they immediately issued a new order to be delivered next fall for the three peonies that did not grow. I am very pleased with how they handled it and even had told them I was not looking for a refund and still they want to send me a free replacement order. Class act. Same with Bob at B&D - he is sending my three missing Saltarello OT lilies that were missing from this last order that just arriced and he is including them with my second order to be shipped shortly. Got a response from him within a few minutes of sending my email, Great service.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2012

Post #9059826

drthor, I bought Keiko, Misaka and Yumi last spring, they're full of buds, with Yumi the furthest behind. Bartzella has one bud, and it's hard to tell if I'll see any blooms on Cora Louise this year. Poor Red Charm that I stepped on with my big clumsy foot still sent up a bud. The portion that I stepped on is smaller, but it stll sent up some leaves.

Hey lindy and fancy, I'm glad your peonies haven't started growing with the cold weather y'all are still having in MB and AB We'll be jealous when your peonies are blooming and ours are over.

Mary, I haven't seen Sweet May, I'll have to check that one out.

Steve, I'm glad that the two companies responded so quickly, now you'll have those peonies and lilies you wanted.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2012
4:16 AM

Post #9060043

'Coral Charm' has really shot up in the last few days. It's billed as an 'early' peony, but this seems VERY early. The weather has been so mild everything is weeks ahead of schedule. I hope it doesn't get nipped by a cold snap.

Last year it bloomed the second week of May. Here is a photo of it March 27, 2011 and photos taken May 11, 2011 and May 17, 2011.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9060137

LeawoodGardener so nice ...
These are Keiko and very fragrant

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9060155

Steve, I am pleased but not surprised that B&D and Adelman's responded the way they did. Both classy companies. I should have spoken up when my plants from Adelman didn't bloom years ago. I know they would have taken the same step. And yes, it's a little difficult for someone so anal not to know where a plant is!

Cem, squirrels took two big bites out of my White Frost in a pot last year. There were no buds left. I thought, rats! No blooms! The pic shows how it responded a few days later - and it was a very young plant. So don't despair.

Leawood, my Coral Charm is doing the same thing.

And drthor - so beautiful! Where exactly do you live? (Where's my shovel...)

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9061228

Donna, I'm glad your White Cap made a recovery from the squirrel attack. What's wrong with those varmits???? Here are a few pictures from yesterday. Here's the Red Charm, Sorbet, and Hot Chocolate that's the furtherthest behind in growth of all the peonies. I don't understand why HC is so far behind all the others.

drthor, as always, lovely blooms.

LG, love Coral Charm. I can't wait till mine gets to that size. It's only but up one stem with a bloom so far, but I see another pip that may grow this year.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9061231

The Itohs Keiko and Misaka are full of buds, and Bartzella has has some good growth, and the one bud as I mentioned above.

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 28, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9061241

Cem dont forget that different peonies have different bloom times.Maybe that is why HC is a bit behind?I think it blooms later than Red Charm.

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2012

Post #9061243

Leawood, your Coral Charm looks great! Mine, which is a second year peony, is sending up a huge cluster of shoots this year. It's way ahead of my other peonies. Second in line are some other corals--Coral and Gold which is brand new, for example. With our cold snap, I'm very grateful peony buds aren't developed yet.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9061244

Totally off topic but I just wanted to share. The tulips are just about done blooming and the cherry trees are in full bloom. In years past, the Pink Impression tulips and the cherry trees always bloomed at the same time. This year, the PI tulips are already done blooming and the Blushing Lady tulips are finishing up, while the cherry trees are in full blooms.

This crazy weather has thrown my garden off kilter, and not just the peonies.

Thumbnail by Cem9165

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9061250

Annette, your cherry and the tulips below are just enchanting! Looks like a fairy garden. And your earlier posting of of the shima nishiki beauties had a totally different feeling.
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9061328

Aawww Donna I knew you'd understand! Thanks :-)

Drthor, what beautiful plants and flowers...congratulations!

Cem, thanks - and BTW your peonies look terrific...you're becoming quite the connossieur. Also, never to wory about Hot Chocolate; I had it down there (in the South) too and it was always one of the latest to bloom, usually late April in North TX, so I imagine GA bloom times would be comparable. Even with our accelerated blooms this year it is in line with how mine typocally grew. I remember Klem classified it as an "early" (one reason I bought it) and Hollingsworth said it was a "late" and Hollingsworth was correct.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2012
12:28 AM

Post #9061384

Just had to ck out the peony pics here. I am a daylilly addict but I have old homeplace peonies. They are a white and a pink double. Just so fragrant I love the scent! Mine always seem to droop. Any newer hybrid doubles to recommend that will stand up to the elements?

I also have one white single bloom on my tree peony !! Not fragrant :(

Teresa in KY
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

March 29, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9062263

Cem your tulips and cherry combination is great. When asked about combinations that bloom together or in sequence I alway hesitate and try to warn the asker that Mother Nature does not do what we want but only what She wants.

Murad of Hershey and an unnamed tree peony broke in to bloom. Murad is lighter in color than in past years but the other one is much darker.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9062552

Thanks for the compliments everyone. It's been a weird, and interesting spring, early blooms, that fade too fast. Luckily, Merry Mayshine's bloom is still has it's pretty color.

Teresa, I also love the double old fashioned peonies, I'm all about the scent.

ah, you can't tease us with the names of peonies without posting any pictures. I'm glad you've gotten some early blooms;~)

I didn't get a chance to see the garden yesterday since I got home from work so late, today it was in the yard first before the door was ever opened, once I got home. It's amazing what happens in 48 hours in a garden. I came home to find Salmon Dream blooming, along with the Pink daffodil mix. Most interesting is that the Pink mix came with quite a few doubles, which are one of my favorite kind of daffs, I thought they'd all be singles.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9062608

The tree peonies from the co-op arrived today. These will get potted up, pampered, and planted in the fall when it's cooler. That is what I did with Shima Nishiki last year, and was able to see a bloom this year. It's also gotten quite warm here, in the 80's everyday, and very little rain, so I'm concerned about planting them out in the garden under these circumstances.

Thumbnail by Cem9165

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9063153

Holy cow. they are real bushes, not just bare roots. Better dig out the larger pots to hold them til EO May.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9063247

Last year I bought three new (to me) varieties from a local grower. One of them, "Lucky", was only available as a bare root (I ordered it in June, received it in October) - the others were planted in pots, which I transferred to the ground when I bought them. All three have buds (yeah), but I'm impressed that "Lucky" has four buds - I figured it probably wouldn't bloom the first year.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9063356

Let us know if it blooms. Buds don't always mature into blossoms when the plants are young, at least mine didn't. The following year the buds grew large and opened.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9063700

Nice peony LG, hope you get to see blooms this year.

I've been tortured daily by this noid. I expected it to have bloomed by now, since it took off with good growth and had buds that have enlarged quickly. Well, the torture continues today, I found a partially opened bloom this evening.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9063721

Mary, the tp's are bushes, the shortest being about 1ft., the largest about 1 1/2ft. They look perkier today, since I unpacked them last night. They'll get potted up this weekend.

Here's my poor, pitiful Coral Charm with the one stem. At least it has a bud.

Thumbnail by Cem9165

ah3815
Kansas City, MO

March 30, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9063762

I will have to post pictures later as I am now using my old computer while the laptop is in shop. The blue death screen appeared too many times. The old puter does not have enough space to load picture software.

I went around today and took pictures of what is currently in bloom. Several are noids or seedlings I have received from several sources, so no names. One of the best this year is a no named Chinese flare peony which is dark maroon with darker flares. Has only one bloom but it is a nice one.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9063805

ah, you continue to torture us.. I can't wait to see your posted pictures. Hope your laptop gets fixed soon. It sounds like you have some fascinating peonies. Annette
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9064309

Reath's is offering 30% off on tree peonies to be shipped until May, also on herbaceous shipped in the fall. his prices are pretty high but they tubers tend to be entire plants so they grow really fast and bloom the first year.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 31, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9064429

A few nice sunny days here and checking out the yard this afternoon I see as few dark pink shoots poking up in one of the peonies! It will be a while but we are on the way!

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9064436

Wow. Tempting. One of my new tree peonies didn't come up, but maybe I can get it replaced by the grower.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9064452

My cubits tree peonies just arrived!!! Almost offsets the sadness that I found three more dead fish in my pond ice. And One is Homer the largest and the one who lasted the longest.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9064572

Mary, sorry to hear about your fish. Has it been an especially cold winter, more than the usual?

BTW, how are your tree peonies? Hope they arrived to you intact.

Edited for spelling.

This message was edited Apr 1, 2012 9:06 PM
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9065895

the tree peonies are awesome. Yes, they arrived. I guess I expected bare roots with a little stem, not things actually leafed out. I have a 60 gallon sterlite I keep potting soil in for planting. i just sunk them in the end of that. i guess they are still dormant?

No, our winter was the nicest in a long time despite the heavy snow. We don't know what happened. We kept a pump running to circulate water and that may have caused 'unintended consequences.' Live and learn I guess.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9066009

Hopefully when it warms up, you'll be able to replace the lost fish. I had a 47 gallon tank for goldfish for about 7 years. It all started with a baby goldfish ( Robbie), that my DS won at summer camp when he was younger, and it started living in a 1 gallon tank, to a 5 gallon tank, and utimately the 47 gallon mansion, I mean tank, LOL, with his pals. After lots of money spent of food, medicine, cleaners, and chemicals to maintain the water, the ungrateful fish had the nerve to die. My DH thought I was nuts when I cried over Robbie, the first fish that we ever had died.

Today, spent hours in the garden, potted up the tree peonies, and planted my caladium bulbs. I wanted to share pictures of the two beds I created last spring for the peonies. The first two pics are the left bed, and the last two the right bed. I have to say that the peonies seem to love the soil here, they're doing better than peonies that I've had for years. As I've stated above, many of the newly planted tubers have buds, and some of my older peonies that I've had for several years I've never seen bloom. The edge of the bed is planted with daylilies, spring blooming bulbs further back, bearded irises in front of the peonies, and lilies behind, with clematis on the fence on either side.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9066021

Salmon Dream's second bud is about to open. This peony is planted in front of a pink daff mix.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9066028

And, pheewwww!!!! My torture is finally over. Both of the noids opened, the larger yesterday, the smaller today.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9066049

Bowl of Cream has at least 13 buds, I'm excited to see this one bloom, Gardenia has at least 10 buds, and Imaculee only a few.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9066142

I was out shopping for annuals at my favorite nursery yesterday, and how could I resist going to look at the potted peonies that they had. Weellll!!!! I found Pink Parfait and Raspberry Sundae, both full of buds, and since they called to me, LOL, how could I resist taking them home. They are nice sized, healthy plants. I'm going to let them finish blooming in the pots before I plant them in the garden. I've placed them in the bed with Shojaraku in their pots, but they'll probaly wind up finally in one of the two new peony beds.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2012
9:28 PM

Post #9066228

More Peonies blooming in my garden ... didn't have much time to post lately ... too much happening in the garden

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #9066229

This Keiko Itoh Peony has blooms of different colors and some flowers have a darker color petal ... so interesting ...

Thumbnail by drthor

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2012
9:36 PM

Post #9066238

Misaka yellow Itoh is still going strong

Thumbnail by drthor   Thumbnail by drthor

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9066685

Except that you are in texas, I am surprised at how well your peonies are doing when surrounded by trees. I guess you need the cool shade for them to grow and bloom there?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9066732

At the Peony class I took, they told me to plant them away from trees and large shrubs.
That's what I did ... they are in 90% full sun.
In the middle of the summer they will just turn brown, but all the other plants around will cover them.

I do have a few peonies on the shade and they just don't do well ... maybe I will get one small flower ... I will need to move them away in the future ...
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9066824

I lament the lack of trees in my backyard garden. I have avoided them with the exception of dwarf carragena and weeping larch because I didn't want to block any sun. Possibly I went too far. I like the enclosed look of your garden while mine is like open to the world -- and all my neighbors and I can see the top of trucks and buses that pass by on the major street behind my north fence.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #9066888

Oberon46
yes I like the trees in my back yard ... definitely a MUST HAVE in Texas.
Also the fence is on a 20' stone wall high, like a little castle, so I don't have much of a pest problem either ... weeee ... we are very private
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9067030

20' stone wall!!! Holy cow.. Isn't that like the mother of all spite fences? lol

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9067036

yes we will never have flooding problems here !
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9067076

We had the same problem with a lack of privacy. A couple built a huge house to the north of us, spending twice what we did, but the installed no window coverings. So when we sat in our sunroom, we would look up and they would be staring at us. This went on for three years.

Our solution was to put in ornamental trees. They are not as large as shade trees, and much less expensive, but they can bring a lot of beauty to your yard.

Here is our north solution:
viburnum trilobum
crabapple
cotinus 'Grace'
viburnum prunifolium
yoshino cherry

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9067096

Here is how we kept people from gaping at us from the alley: a second crabapple, and more smokebushes.

And how we kept people from staring from the sidewalk. This is a five year old picture. Everything is much bigger.

And it's all done with shrubs and grasses. The only problem with the grasses is cutting them down in spring. Which was why I added 3 President Lincoln lilacs, which I grew from one foot tubes. They cost $12 each.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack

lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

April 4, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9069961

your place looks wonderful donna !
the peonies are up for sure, some just went in this last fall, so i'm excited to see what they look like. need to find room for 3 new in the package, and a 'bunker hill' that's sitting in the vegetable garden. i over-wintered hens and chicks in the garden too...would like to try a living wreath..there's amazing pics on google images.
going to watch the masters...like the golf, love the azaleas, such a beautiful place.
cheers L
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2012

Post #9070242

Glad you're finally seeing some peony growth lindy, before long you'll be having some blooms.

I've been really busy the last few days, so I haven't had a chance to share some of the blooms. Here's Shojuraku that started blooming this week. It definitely has more buds that it did last year. I stated above Shima Nishiki is the first tp I've ever had bloom, but dumbo me didn't realize I've had a tp all along in this one. The strange thing is that it dies down to the ground like a regular herbaceous peony every year. I'll have to pay attention so that I don't prune it too short, as I may have been cutting off bud stems, Duh!!!!

Thumbnail by Cem9165

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9070244

Keiko also opened some buds today, I really happy to see this one blooming in the garden, she's about to put on a show.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9070249

Misaka is also starting to bloom. Yipee!!!! We finally got some rain this week, which is helping speed the blooming along, an a little more rain tonight.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9070262

Another picture of the noid in it's full glory. It must love the composted manure, and the rose fertilizer. Blaze, not to be outdone is starting to bloom as well, and this is my Ebb Tide rose, love the deep color on this one.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9070270

Finally, Sorbet is blooming today, right along with iris Gnu Blue in the same bed.

gaseedgrower
Hollywood, FL
(Zone 11)

April 5, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9070544

Oh my goodness! all these peony blooms I am seeing here makes me want one or two or several of those LOL.

I am going peony hunting today. Thanks everyone's for sharing your blooms.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9071247

Hey gaseedgrower, check out Pikes on Miginnis Ferry RD and PIB, it has nice Monrovia peony plants, a little pricey, but worth it for the size and health. The plants that I got from them last year are really doing well.

Bowl of Beauty is starting to bloom, and so is the clematis Duchess of Albany just behind it. They make a great combo. You can see some of the BoB buds in the clemie picture.

gaseedgrower
Hollywood, FL
(Zone 11)

April 6, 2012
5:11 AM

Post #9071608

Thanks Cem9165,

Soon as I finish planting all my brugs from the greenhouse I will.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9071614

Oh Cem, what gorgeous pictures! Bowl of Beauty and Duchess of Albany are a glorious combination. I love the cool colors. And your plants look great. Better yet, you are enabling gaseedgrower. Excellent!

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9071684

Annette, your garden is wonderful! I love the clematis with the 'Bowl of Beauty' peony.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9072055

Thanks Donna, and LG. It's a beautiful day here with the weather having cooled down, in the 60's today compared to the 80's the last two weeks, and the plants are much happier. Hopefully the blooms will last longer. Annette
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9072314

Cem, your peonies look terrific this year! Well done! Weather is cooler here now so it will be awhile...
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9072668

Thanks Steve, I hope your new plants are continuing to do well also.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 8, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9074781

Love all the pictures of the peonies. I have them popping up this spring in places that I dont remember planting them. I know I had bought some small tubular's in a bag a few years ago. Maybe this is them just coming up.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9074828

Two of the newest peonies are getting ready to bloom. They both have 2 buds. We'll have to wait to see what they are. Either Sante Fe, Harrington Belle or Top Brass.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9074833

I have one peony planted by the footings free of snow with warm western sun on it. It is a little pip just about to break the ground. Yes, I nudge around a little just to see if they are waking up. course the ones out back all had little pips aplenty that I had to cover last fall. Hope they make it okay.
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

April 9, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9075548

drthor, love the whites, is the center one festiva ? hope mine comes up and flowers this year. snowed last night..still a few days of cold weather.
missed the flowers at the augusta masters...what's up ???
cheers
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9076432

Hope everyone had a good Easter weekend, for those who celebrate. I have to admit, I've been taking lots of pictures, just no time to post until tonight, so here goes. Sorbet started blooming, and has opened up it's second bud.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9076440

Blaze also bloomed, and the weather man this evening said this is the hottest March on record for GA, since they started keeping track in the 1890's. The warmer weather affected the azaleas in Augusta, GA, and caused them to bloom too early, and therefore there were not as many blooming this year as in years past. A friend of ours told us yesterday that they even but ice around the bushes to slow the bloom time down before the Masters, however if this is true, I don't know how well it worked. Anyway, GO BUBBA!!!!!

Blaze, so aptly named, LOL

Thumbnail by Cem9165

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9076446

Sea Shell also made her debut.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9076452

Bowl of Cream is starting to open, along with the roses, and the variegated vinca underneath is still blooming. This is starting to come togehter just as I had envsioned.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9076457

Shojuraku.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2012
8:27 PM

Post #9076464

Misaka, with clematis Jackmanii behind.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9076466

Misaka is gorgeous.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9076474

Ms. Keiko., shown as it has been blooming over the last few days.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2012
8:45 PM

Post #9076487

Thanks kwanjin, it really is gorgeous, I'm pleased with how it's blooming this year. Here's Bowl of Beauty. It's interesting that it has differently shaped blooms on the same plant. The last picture of BoB is from my back deck, it's funny to see them leaning toward the sun.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2012
8:51 PM

Post #9076496

Finally for tonight, the picture of the bed with Misaka, Keiko, Sea Shell, and Blaze, with clematis Miguel Viso and Jackmanii on the fence.

Thumbnail by Cem9165

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2012
4:20 AM

Post #9076613

Truly impressive, Annette! I love the plant conformation of the Ms Keiko and the Misaka. I need to add these beauties to my garden.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 10, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #9076662

They are all lovely. I agree with Leawood, and Ms. Keiko is wonderful. Lovely flower form. And the bowl of cream vinca rose combination is stellar. I never would have imagined putting those three plants together for such beautiful effect.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9077489

Thanks LG and Donna, I'm really pleased with the Itohs this year, and I can't wait till BoC opens fully.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2012
10:31 PM

Post #9077877

Lovely blooms all. Texas and Georgia is way ahead of me here in California.

My tree peonies are blooming though. Here is my single red one blooming last week.

Thumbnail by soilsandup   Thumbnail by soilsandup

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9078090

Sooo beautiful. I love the placement under the cherry. Color echo!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9078338

Gorgeous. I just love tree peonies even more than herbaceous. Maybe not better than Itoh's though
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #9079157

Thanks, Donna and Mary.

Mary - I really like my tree peonies too. I bought my first ITOH two years ago and this is the first year that it has budded. So, I am still waiting for my first ever bloom.

This week, the pink tree peony has the spotlight.
I am so glad I took those photos on Tuesday before the rain. The heavy doubles tend to take a beating in the rain.

Thumbnail by soilsandup   Thumbnail by soilsandup   Thumbnail by soilsandup

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9079420

I've seen the tree peony collections at the Chicago Botanic Garden and though that they were OK. Yours are show stoppers. Are there any fortunate passers by who get to look at this gorgeous peony?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9079661

I like the Itoh's because they have the really attractive leaf color like the trees. Julia Rose is a huge bush now next to Red Charm (herbaceous). And Cora Louise planted a year later is almost as big. I was happy and sad at the same time that it appears that the mice infestation that took out my three tree peonies along with other things passed us by this year. A one time happening. My creeping phlox is lush and lovely as it comes out of the snow and no sign of chewing on the bottom of my quince. Just one year enough to kill what I had waited three years to see in full bloom. Oh, they bloomed the prior year for the first time but last year they should have been as nice as yours. Oh well. I bought three more and will move forward. I have mostly Japanese form or singles with the exception of Red Charm, Lemon Chiffon and Coral Sunset. It is too disappointing to see them beaten down in the rain.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9079753

Donna - those two tree peonies are in my front yard so they are visible to the few walkers and their dogs that we get in the neighborhood. Most people drive, so they would be a blur ;)).

Mary - sorry to hear about your tree peony lost. It is sad to wait for blooms and then have the plants die.

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9079979

No one around me has ever grown intersectionals or Itoh's. To me, they were pictures in books (especially Rogers). Only one person in my entire community grew them (although many an uninspired landscaper peony appeared after I started growing them- you know - the kind sold by color) but my mother-in-law brought a clump of old fashioned lactifloras to my house and my eyes were opened.

I always assumed that tree peonies were not hardy in zone 5.

By the way, you might try planting some miniature daffodils in a circle around your tree peonies. It repells voles and rabbits because they are poisonous. It stopped the large lily losses in my yard. I say miniature because they have small and unobtrusive leaves, not big strapping ones. My favorite for this purpose is WP Milner, a very inexpensive Division 1 Trumpet that is widely available.

Losing the bloom on a lactiflora is bad enough. Losing the bloom of what is effectively a shrub is draining.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9080136

Thanks Donna. I have sown a bunch of marigolds to repel stuff from my vegies and will order a bunch of those daffys for the tree peonies. Also for a few other shrubs that I would hate to lose. It appears that the horde was either done in by me or has chosen to give someone else's garden this winter. Things are coming out of the snow hale and hardy. Here's hoping it stays that way.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9080218

Beautiful tree peonies soilsandsup. What are their names?

Mary, I'm so glad you didn't get the critters this year, and I hope that your new tree peonies put on some rapid growth and bloom well for you.

I have to say my DH impressed me recently with the "what's that yellow thing blooming in the bed on the left?" My response DUH!!!! Thought it but didn't say it, LOL, but replied "That's the Itoh peony Misaka YOU helped me last spring!!!! OMG, he noticed.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9080352

Damien loves to take pictures of the flowers. He is a really good photographer as he looks at composition. I mostly just see a flower I want to capture. I keep the best picture of each kind in my database with all the info about bloom time, growth time and all that. And it's nice to see what they look like. Sometimes I forget how lovely they are during the winter. I am shocked when I look at garden pictures from last year and think "That's MY garden?" I never thought it looked so good. Too busy with my nose 2" from the ground examining each little bud and pip I guess to look up and see the whole thing.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9080381

Mary, if I did not photograph, I'd never remember what was there. Fact is, I never remember all this stuff growing so much by the end of March, beginning of April.

When I wrote on March 20th that my new tree peony didn't "take," I was wrong. Upon inspection this afternoon, the dead-looking newer yellow tree peony actually has new growth. A bit surprised that it did not sprout when the others did. It truly looked dead, and there is probably some dead wood, but we'll see what comes.

The new intersectional purchased in February is growing, but it does not look as good as when it was planted last month. Another "we'll see."

Marcia
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2012
10:25 PM

Post #9080479

Those are my NOID tree peonies. I think I got them at Pay Less (Now known as Rite Aid) and they were labeled "Pink" tree peony, "red" tree peony, etc.

I noticed that several of you bought tree peonies from Mamajack's coop too. I got my first named peonies from that coop. I purchased Koukamon and Kinshi. I had a red tree peony that I tried moving 2-3 years ago and ended up killing it. They do not like to be moved - at least mines did not. It had a long tap root which I broke. When I saw that Koukamon was added at the last minute, I broke down and ordered one. And since shipping for one is like shipping for two, I had to get a second one. So, I ordered a yellow.

Cem - mines were not as big as yours, and a few of the leaves were wilty, but otherwise they looked fairly healthy. I have a white one and one that I think is a Kinkaku already, so I think I am set (plus I am running out of space)

Thumbnail by soilsandup

ah3815
Kansas City, MO

April 12, 2012
10:57 PM

Post #9080488

Soilsup and all if you notice on the picture there are small white labels around the stem. For many of the plants sold the white label has the cultivar name on it. The 4 inch box ones are well known for having this label. May need to be dried before you can read but remove carefully and make a note of what is written. You can then verify the name when blooming by checking with on line pictures.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2012
11:42 PM

Post #9080498

Ah - interesting observation. So, my NOIDs that I purchased years ago may have actually had those small white labels...if only I had known. I'll go look at my new purchases (once this rain ends) to see if the cultivar name is on them and verify that it is what is on the picture tag.

Do you (or anyone else) have a guess as to what the red single and the pink double that I posted earlier may be? The pink one is actually quite fragrant. I cut a bloom to take to work today, and the smell subtly filled the landing area.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9080861

SoilandSanUp, it is lovely. I love the lighter tint on the edges. My trees from the coop look much like yours. The last time I ordered tree peonies they arrived as just little sticks with some root. but then I ordered them in the fall. I was thrilled to seethe growth. I keep watching for them to sort of 'unclench' like little baby fingers all crunched up. I have to figure out where to put them. May have to pot them until the new beds are ready in, oh, late June.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 14, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9081954

[quote="DonnaMack"]

I always assumed that tree peonies were not hardy in zone 5.
[/quote]

Tree peonies are hardy to zone 4, and I would bet you would love them. They require very little attention, and since they are actually a shrub, they need no staking. The new growth comes off the old wood, so no pruning. They bloom about 3-4 weeks before the tree peonies, and the blooms can be huge. Since some are grafted to herbaceous peonies, they must be planted much deeper, and if the host plant starts to grow, that needs pruning. Just like their herbaceous cousins, they guarantee rain.

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9081973

About those white labels on the TPs. Mine must all be in Kanji characters, so I've saved them in a shoebox because I'd wanted to get them translated to learn their true identity. What if they just say red peony or yellow peony? LOL
arfitz
Caldwell, NJ
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9082176

I have been growing a small selection of peonies for the past 35 years. They are such easy plants to grow and reward you with beautiful flowers for a life time without much care. I have a few tree peonies that do Ok but often get borers in the branches. ( I think the big bees lay their eggs in the stems). Recently I purchased 2 "Ito" peonies They are even better than herbaceous or tree peonies and so far a new one is thriving in a large pot. (40 gallon). I planted one in the same kind of pot last year and placed it where it got the best sun and then last Fall planted the first one in a bed where it is getting high shade. (NOT in a pot now). I think it is necessary to transplant these peonies in the ground after one year so that the roots can establish and grow.
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

April 14, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9082366

If the label says red or white that is what you have. You can name it anything you want.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9082837

soilsands up, no worries about the names of your tree peonies, they're still gorgeous, I hope you continue to get some nice blooms.

I noticed last week that Kinkaku was finally leafing out here. It's been planted for several years and hadn't done much. Well this is the year finally, it has buds. I'm sooooo excited to see it bloom. Most of the time I forget I have it, it was nondescript and tiny for the longest time.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9082876

I just had to stop in...My oh my, what beautiful peonies!!!! Mine are just a few inches tall. Sooooo pretty!!!!! I did see my tree peony is beginning to leaf out, gosh hope I get a bloom or two. Was a Lowes buy.

Only jj's blooming here, so will someone smell their peonies and enjoy for me? Kathy

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9084083

Mine aren't open yet, either. Some are getting close but others are lagging.

Cybrczch

Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9084111

Hello from Nebraska. Our growing season is a good 2 weeks ahead of schedule. Tree peonies are starting to open here, and the herbaceous ones aren't very far behind. When Memorial Day comes around, we won't have any left to decorate the cemetaries.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9084567

Cybrczch, we won't be able to call it Decoration Day, as it used to be.

Marcia
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9085295

Should we start a new thread for our dial up friends? We're such an enthusiastic bunch that this is very long. What say you?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2012
9:24 PM

Post #9085581

Go for it!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9085800

Please go to Peonies 2012, part 2!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1252860/
peonybabe
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9094146

Help!!!
my peonies are up, and some have buds. but here in rochester, ny, we are having a snowstorm, with several inches of heavy wet snow. anyone have an idea how these peonies will fare after this??? I tried to cover them with row cover, cardboard, etc. The temp. is 34 F. now and will be in the mid- to high 30s today.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9094251

I've been watching your weather and feel sorry for gardeners in the NorthEast. If I were you, I'd cover them with some sort of plastic sheet, held up by a frame made from posts or lumber, to keep the snow from breaking them down and the cool temps from frosting their edges. It doesn't have to be pretty, just protective. It will come down in a day or two. Mom Nature is certainly challenging gardeners this year! Good luck.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peonies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fen Dan Bai Tree Peony RDT 10 Oct 4, 2012 12:02 AM
Dividing Peonies garyt 61 Nov 24, 2010 2:32 PM
Peonies and sun or lack of same butterflywi 18 Feb 15, 2011 5:21 AM
looking for peony can trade perennial plants jeaninpgh 5 Oct 7, 2012 3:04 PM
Dried out "cover" on peony buds DonnaMack 28 Jun 8, 2007 12:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America