Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Agastaches and Salvias: Mulch For Agastache

Communities > Forums > Agastaches and Salvias
bookmark
Forum: Agastaches and SalviasReplies: 5, Views: 69
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

March 3, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9028966

I keep reading that wood mulch is not a good idea for many agastache. Does it matter that much? I will switch to pea gravel in the beds I want to replant. I lost my rupris and apricot sprite last year.
C
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2012
8:59 PM

Post #9029007

I have wood mulch on mine, but I don't water very much. They don't like wet feet, so if you water a fair amount (or get a decent amount of rain) then pea gravel will help things dry out faster.
Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

March 4, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9030079

Agastaches, especially the red to yellow long-tubed forms do need drainage and air on their roots. A raised bed is advised, and if you can get expanded shale/slate pellets, this would be even better worked into the soil. Pea gravel will work as a mulch. Hardwood bark mulch, in moderation, will break down into a humus they can use.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

March 4, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9030125

All the plants that died were in a raised bed with sandy soil. I did put hardwood mulch and last year it was hot and very dry. I guess I am trying to figure out why they failed so badly. Maybe I just over watered the bed due to the extreme drought. Also, the plants were planted in the fall so they should have had time to establish some roots before the heat of summer arrived.
C
Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

March 5, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9031269

Did you check for spider mites? If they get established on plants under heat stress, they will finish of plants quickly.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

March 5, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9031510

No, I didn't but I did have some on other plants last summer so its a possibility. With the heat and drought they were worse than usual.
C

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Agastaches and Salvias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Salvia pictures from my garden Gerris2 133 Mar 21, 2007 6:49 PM
My favorite Salvias ecrane3 88 Jun 5, 2007 11:39 PM
Agastaches & Salvias I'm Getting Thru Mail Order Marilynbeth 55 Mar 11, 2007 10:49 PM
Agastache & salvia Ariel73 2 Apr 10, 2007 7:14 PM
Salvia 'Discolor' mrs_colla 9 Mar 13, 2007 6:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America