Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: Planting vining veggies in bags on edge of roof

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 7, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SueGee1950
Annapolis, MD

March 4, 2012
1:52 AM

Post #9029080

We have a screened porch with a sloping low asphalt roof off the back of our house. I have limited garden space in our small yard. I was wondering if I could place perforated bags of garden/potting soil along the edge of the roof and plant vining vegetables like cukes or tomatoes in them to form a curtain of vegetables that would hang down off roof, kind of like the upside down planters, or like the pioneers who planted gardens on the roof of their sod houses. I could water with hose and perhaps place the perforated bags on skids for better drainage against roof. Is this doable?

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2012
3:12 AM

Post #9030315

It is ABSOLUTELY do-able as long as you've got the hardware to secure your containers sturdily enough. Remember that the bags get HEAVY, especially after watering, so you want them secured really well, so-as not to come crashing down and tearing off bits of your home's structure. Using a non-soil growing medium (like lots of peat and perlite) will help BIG TIME in weight reduction, just be sure to keep up on the watering regularly. Peat is a pain to get to retain water well in the beginning, but once you've got it moistened the first time, then it will retain that water well IF you keep up on it, and it (along with perlite) will weigh a lot less than soils. Oh, and don't forget to feed feed feed! =) You can make a "tea", from compost or organic fertilizers, and use that to water once a week or so; that will do a 2-for-1 job in watering AND feeding at the same time! =)
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2012
4:24 AM

Post #9030343

That's a wonderful idea. I am fortunate enough to have lots of space, but it's far from the house. How great to just reach out the window and harvest a cuke?? Okay, maybe not that easy, but I will be looking at my roof differently...

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2012
4:27 AM

Post #9030347

[quote] How great to just reach out the window and harvest a cuke??[/quote] Well why not!?! ^_^ Sounds wonderful to me!
SueGee1950
Annapolis, MD

March 5, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9030871

I do believe I am going to try this. I will have to take step by step photos to share results with you all. I'm getting excited! Suggest some veggies for me! I don't think pumpkins will work!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2012
2:08 PM

Post #9031147

Oh boy, how exciting!! Yes please, do share step by step photos, we'll be very excited to watch the progress with you and cheer you on!

Let's see, suggestions... Tomatoes (for sure), maybe English Cukes, maybe snap peas, green beans,... ok, I'm boring, but that's all I can think of. =)
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2012
4:13 AM

Post #9031822

Tromboncino!!
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56773/
they are far and away my favorites, anyway :)
And, little pumpkins should work fine. How about pole beans in red and varicolored pods? Some have really pretty flower colors, as well.
I love this whole idea. Who's gonna invent the first Gutter Garden Growing kit??
Maybe this will be a new craze. Would that I would actually follow through with developing something...
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 12, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9079352

having a gutter garden should be nice as far as not having the rountine pests attacking the plants.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America