-
AuthorContent
skunkbay
Pilot Point, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9029335

I posted this on the Handyman forum, but thought posting on this forum also might help. I have 7 - 4' x 8' plate glass windows that had brick mortar on them when our house was built. The clean up crew evidently dry scraped the mortar off which left lots of scratches. I complained to our builder who knocked several hundred dollars off the cost of construction and told me that compounds could be bought that would make the scratches disappear. NOT. I should have demanded that all the windows be replaced before we moved in, but things came up and I didn't do that. Now we'll be selling the house and those scratched windows will surely cause concern for any buyer. Does anyone know if there really is a compound that will make the scratches disappear? I've pretty much accepted that fact that I'll have to replace all these windows before the house goes on the market, but would like to avoid this cost if possible.

june_nmexico

june_nmexico
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9029500

Just a thought but would one of those auto windshield repair places
be able to do such a repair job? Wouldn't hurt to ask.

sevseasail
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9029658

Although polishing glass is possible, I doubt it can be done on the installed windows, that is for less than you can replace the glass...
I'm sorry to say, but you did not work out a good deal with your builder. He should have replaced those windows for you.
Same thing happened to a friend of mine (as a contractor), he ended up having to replace all the windows in this commercial building at an out of pocket cost of over $10K. All because an unskilled worker he hired who said he knew what he was doing...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance Terry 17 Jul 14, 2011 1:42 AM
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
I hated trimming the grass along the fence jleec 15 Jun 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Eeek... mice! dreamingofeden 10 Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America