Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Tomato leaves yellowing

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 25, Views: 281
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
birke
Broward County, FL
(Zone 10b)

March 4, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9029912

This started about 2 weeks ago. The vines were vigorous and healthy, now they slowly turn yellow one leave at a time. More around the middle, not at the very top. Some edges turn brown. i fertilize with organic 5-3-3, and plant leave tea. What could this be?

Thumbnail by birke
Click the image for an enlarged view.

birke
Broward County, FL
(Zone 10b)

March 4, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9029919

More pics.

Thumbnail by birke

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9030051

It's not uncommon for a few bottom leaves to yellow up a bit after transplanting, usually the upper stem will survive quite well. I would just trim off the yellow leaves and wait, your plant is probably okay

Al
KathyWid
Clover, SC

March 5, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9030375

Sometimes yellowing occurs with transplant shock. Also, double check 3 things: room temperature (70-75 F consistently), watering -- too much can drain nutrients from potting mix or choke new roots, and your fertilizing schedule. Here's a link that may help: http://www.tomatodirt.com/tomato-seedlings.html
birke
Broward County, FL
(Zone 10b)

March 5, 2012
5:43 AM

Post #9030428

The plant has been in the ground since December and I'm harvesting since mid January. And other tomato plants are starting with yellowing leaves,too.
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9030460

I'm not a master gardener but I am well experienced with tomatoes and what I'm seeing in the pics is common in my own garden. I've pinched off the yellowing leaves and applied fish emulsion or compost tea.
Both will give a mild shot of nutrients but they will also help with fungal prevention. I wouldn't be too concerned at this time.
Are the plants in a well ventilated area?

Thumbnail by yardener

birke
Broward County, FL
(Zone 10b)

March 5, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9030721

Yes, very ventilated and not too crowded. But I have a lot of stinging insects, so I'm always concerned about viral diseases.
tarheel2az
Tonto Basin, AZ

March 5, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9031358

Some of my large seedlings in the greenhouse (still too much chance of frost to plant out), started looking likt that and I realized that I was over watering them. Just a thought . . .
birke
Broward County, FL
(Zone 10b)

March 5, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9031578

It could be, not so sure though. I had a large plant in a large pot, which got planted in the ground about 1 1/2 weeks ago, and that one has 1 leave yellowing now, too. My soil is very sandy and doesn't keep the water very good, that's why I water almost everyday here, since there is no rain and temps in the 80's with full sun and medium humidity(low for FL standards). I made some coffee grounds and black tea tea today, so we'll see if that'll help. Also I started a chicken manure fertilizer tea today.
tarheel2az
Tonto Basin, AZ

March 5, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9031663

You're probably right. That sand is almost miraculous the way it will drain water.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9032091

birke - I used to live and garden in Palm Beach County so know what you mean about the soil being so sandy. I used to call it "grey dirt!"
I had aged horse manure dumped every August to turn it into "real soil"

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9032166

How much, and how often are you applying that fertilizer?
birke
Broward County, FL
(Zone 10b)

March 6, 2012
12:21 PM

Post #9032293

Yes, Bee, you just have to add add add to that pure sand if you want anything to grow.
Gymgirl, they get food every 2/3 weeks, epsom salt every 4/5 weeks. Maybe I need to give a little more though each time, or more frequently. That's why I started right away on it.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9032300

Birke,
I feed my tomatoes once each week. MG Water Soluble plant food for veggies. Why are you giving them Epsom Salts on a regular basis?
Easybake
Arlington, TX

March 6, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9032734

maybe he needs to invest in some potting soils that will hold the moister in.

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9032751

How about foliar feeding. So the nutrients can be taken in by the leaves.
birke
Broward County, FL
(Zone 10b)

March 7, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9033025

Thanks for all the advice. I had used MG, but didn't have a good experience with it and turned to organic fertilizer anyway. The epsom salt I read in a lot of articles that tomatoes grow better with it. And I noticed it on the Super Fantastic, which was just "hanging around", after the epsom salt made a big "jump" with new green, also on the Better Boys in my root knot infested other patch.
So let's see if the additional nutrients/fertilizer will help.
birke
Broward County, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 5, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9070893

It was/is root knot nematodes. The plant died after fish emulsion and various herbal green teas. Pulled it out today and so sad, now my new patch is completely infested with them beasts,too. I hate the FL sandy soil. Now I know why the other tomatoes aren't doing good in this patch anymore either. I'll plant Crotalaria juncea L. over summer and make lots of Crotalaria juncea L. tea for both veggie patches.

Thumbnail by birke

behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9071168

Birke, you need to plant something that is not bothered by those pests.
birke
Broward County, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 5, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9071229

Yes, I know, that's why I will plant Crotalaria juncea L. over the summer and they will hopefully die of hunger. Then for the rest of the pest I'll dig under the plants. They have an alkaloid which kills the root knot nematode, so they say. And is not a host plant.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9071683

There are some beneficial nematodes that eat bad nematodes. They can be purchased online, but I've never tried them.
birke
Broward County, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 6, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9072005

I did buy nematodes online and didn't have any success with them. I did so much research online towards the issue with the root knot nematodes and how to get rid of them. Last year I did the soil solarization, but they turned back very quickly. Tried the tagetes tea, but only to find out that this helps only for another kind of nematodes, tried various other things, neem cake and added lots of organic matter. But I found the studies from the sunn hemp and hopefully this will help with the problem after all the other unsuccessful trials.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9072091

Starving them out is probably your best bet. You obviously know what you are doing, and have studied them good luck. Please let us know how it works out.
birke
Broward County, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 9, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9076098

Thanks, will do. Since it's too hot here for veggies in the summer, I hope the sunn hemp will grow and I'll turn it into the soil after summer.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2012
8:57 PM

Post #9076501

Oh that's right this isn't your gardening season, so that makes this even easier. Have you checked with your ag agency or anybody in your area that has experience with them. My ex put construction sand in my garden 1 time and the nematodes came with it. But because they don't normally live here they only lasted for a season of so but I really added the organic material. Yes, they can ruin a garden. Well, they can make it impossible to garden.

I don't know if your a paying member or if you need to be but you may try posting on the soil and compost forum. There are some very experienced folks over there and I know they will help if they can. Good luck!
birke
Broward County, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 12, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9080052

Thanks for all!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America