Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Home Repairs and Maintenance: Concrete driveway

Communities > Forums > Home Repairs and Maintenance
bookmark
Forum: Home Repairs and MaintenanceReplies: 4, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Mishybear
Melbourne
Australia

March 5, 2012
3:46 AM

Post #9030324

I have recently had a new concrete driveway put into my front garden.
Unfortunately it is surrounded by crab apple, pine and liquid amber trees and
they make a horrible mess spoiling the appearance of my once pristine grey drive!!

I'm tired of trying to sweep it every day or hosing it down - can anyone suggest an alternative way to
keeping it looking reasonably clean.

Thank you.

yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9030512

Remove/replace the trees?

Thumbnail by yardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9030579

If you're just looking for an easier way to clean off the drive you could try a leaf blower, that may at least be faster than the methods you're using today. That won't keep it clean for any longer, it'll just make it easier/faster to clean it. The other approach is to relax a bit and not worry about keeping it perfectly clean--once the newness & excitement over the drive fades a bit more you'll probably find yourself naturally letting it go a bit and not worrying so much if there's a little bit of stuff on it. To yardener's point, as long as the trees are there they're going to drop stuff--fall when the crabapple & Liquidambar shed their leaves will probably be the messiest time of year, but there'll always be something.
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9030992

get a battery powered leaf blower and keep it charged and ready. Or, if there are no water-restrictions etc. where you live, a 'water broom' could work too.

http://www.amazon.com/Earthwise-LB21018-Lithium-Cordless-Electric/dp/B004H4X6XI/ref=sr_1_15?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1330978908&sr=1-15

http://www.amazon.com/GroWorks-80-213694-Water-Broom/dp/B003WON2KG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1330979072&sr=8-5
Mishybear
Melbourne
Australia

March 6, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9032560

Thank you all for your helpful replies.

I don't know what costs are like where you live but in Australia, where I am, the price for
cutting down a 60ft. pine tree would be enormous!

I think the leaf blower might be the way to go, thank you.

We have a Bunnings down the road from me, so I will go and have a look
around!

Best wishes from "Down Under".

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance Terry 17 Jul 14, 2011 1:42 AM
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
I hated trimming the grass along the fence jleec 15 Jun 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Eeek... mice! dreamingofeden 10 Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America