Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: The U. S. National Arboretum - Gardens for all, 85 years young: Timing your visit

Communities > Forums > Article: The U. S. National Arboretum - Gardens for all, 85 years young
bookmark
Forum: Article: The U. S. National Arboretum - Gardens for all, 85 years youngReplies: 1, Views: 16
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9030459

Nice article, Sally - per usual.

I invite everyone who has been to the US National Arboretum to mention what was in bloom when they were there. This is likely listed on USNA's website, but having a list here is helpful too for prospective visitors.

I have been most recently on two consecutive KY Derby weekends (lucky me!) in 2009 and 2010, first weekend of May. The Viburnum collection was in full tilt bloom.

I imagine that this genus gets started in mid April (at the latest) and runs on into June, with peak from late April - mid May.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9031094

Thank you for your kind comment, VV.

That would be super- having a bloom or 'must see' list by time of year. The Arboretum has this one rough guide
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Education/blooming.html
but it's not all inclusive. (I wanted to see and smell the Corylopsis but it had not popped yet.)

Somewhere in the site I read that the visitor Center will locate any particular plant and tell you where it is in the collections.

View from Mt Hamilton (big hill Hamilton) towards Capitol
A path in the Asian Valley
View of the Columns and part of the Meadow ( if not highly decorative, they are novel and historic. Something for kids to marvel at and run around.)

Thumbnail by sallyg   Thumbnail by sallyg   Thumbnail by sallyg
Click an image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The U. S. National Arboretum - Gardens for all, 85 years young Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How did I miss that? jazzy1okc 1 Mar 5, 2012 2:04 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America