Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Winter Sowing: What Have You Wintersown So Far?? (PAGE 2)

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 159, Views: 1,105
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9030504

Welcome!

Please join our on-going discussion about our winter-sowing for the 2012 garden season!

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1237035/#top

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Click the image for an enlarged view.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9030518

That's so funny.

I couldn't find the picture I wanted, but the picture above of me and my dogs was taken on 3/4/2006.

So sweet - they were helping. Both of them are gone, but I am still trying to fill milk jugs with dirt. They couldn't figure that part out. :D

I don't have any sprouts so any pictures of this year's bounty will have to keep. Hurt my hand again yesterday (this time a nice deep cut on the palm/heel of my right hand). That'll slow me down a bit. maybe someone/something is trying to tell me something about this right hand of mine.

O well. Snow missed us last night, but it's colder out there than it has been in at least a week! Hope everyone is staying warm!

A.

This message was edited Mar 5, 2012 9:37 AM

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 5, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9030527

We went from almost 70 degrees on Friday to snow on the ground today--not much, and it'll be back to the 50's tomorrow. Weird weather, but my poppy seedlings seem to be doing fine with it.

If my dogs "help" garden, it usually involves liberating a plant from its pot.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9030534

Celene - you see I have them tied and apparently where I decided to "work" was just far enough from their reach that they couldn't get to help much. See Max (the blonde) pulling to get her nose into my business? :)

Our giant new puppy liberated an Oxalis from its pot last week. I didn't appreciate his help either.

I've stopped calling the weather weird. Don't even know what to say about it except, gotta love that climate change!

This message was edited Mar 5, 2012 9:40 AM
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9030703

Thanks for the new thread A. I just read the thread and was going to do it, but saw you beat me to it. ^_^

My dogs always try to 'help' me too. But it is more of 'Mom's on the ground, that means she wants me to play!!!!'. When I use to have a BIG vegetable garden, I had 2 Rat Terriers that I called the 'terminator' and the 'destroyer' because they loved the soft dirt and would dig up what I had planted. lol\

Good info Tom. I will remember that! Thanks
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 5, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9030730

How many winter sow while there is still snow on the ground, like at least half a foot that will be there for another several weeks? I know that many have spoken about having their containers sitting in snow, but I think for me 'winter sowing' might translate to planting and setting out containers more like the first of March or end of March rather than February. Even allowing for a record snowfall that means I won't be snowfree til possibly the middle end of April, at the best the first of april still sees frost on the pond and snow on the ground in the deeper and shadier spots.

I took my peas, tomatoes, beans, red climbers and cabbage containers into the garage. I probably should do the same with the lobelia as soon as I can find where it is.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9030746

Hi, everyone, I just found this thread, and I have a question for you. Does anyone have experience wintersowing in an area where curious racoons like to tip things over and move things around looking for food? I've never wintersowed, and would like to try it, but I hesitate because of all the wildlife here in the woods. Thanks!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9030803

Mary, ws'ing in the snow is not a problem. The seeds that need stratification will get that, and the ones that don't will just set there dormant until it is warm enough for them to start to sprout. You just get it all out of the way when you can't be outside doing anything else, and they grow when they are ready. ^_^

Ky, WELCOME. The experience I have is to use 2 ltr pop bottles. Cut off the top about 2/3 of the way down. Put in about 4" of soil, put in the seeds and cover them slightly. (Oh, after putting in the soil I soak it real good before putting in the seed. Makes it easier to put the seed where you want them and starts the moisture) Slide the top back onto the bottle. (I sometimes make a slit so it slides on easier) then put 2 strips of duct take on either side. (You may not have to do the tape if you pack them together tight) Place them in a plastic tub (with drain holes in the bottom) or a cardboard box and pack them pretty tight. I have also heard of people tying a bunch of jugs together with string so they do not tip over easily. Hope this helps.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9030943

Hmm, couldn't hurt to try it...thanks!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9030975

OH ... another trick to keep critters away from the jugs and your gardens ... put human hair around the jugs and also in your gardens. They do not like the smell of humans. You can either save it out of your brush or ask your beautician to save hair clippings for you. They will be glad to do it and a lot of them know the reason you are asking! lol
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9031001

Would doggie hair work? I work at a boarding kennel/groomer.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9031041

So far this year I put 30 milk jugs of hardy perennials out at the end of December. I will put almost the same amount of annuals and hardy annuals very soon.

It's so easy to grow new plants this way.

Teri

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED

steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9031053

My wintersow season is over. I got zinnias, agastache, fennel. The rest have not come up yet. I think it did not get cold enough to suit them. hydrangeas, native hibiscus, Dames Rocket, Sweet Autumn Clematis, Texas Gold Columbine and a few others. This was my first time to WS and we just had a very mild winter. I'll try again next year.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9031067

No, don't think doggie hair would work. lol

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 5, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9031077

If dog hair worked, there wouldn't be anything within a mile of my yard.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9031130

I'm afraid I'd have to second that, on the doggie hair, but human hair sure does work! =)
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9031145

LOL I know cat hair wouldn't work...

Thumbnail by KyWoods

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9031154

Haahaahaahaaaaa, oh look how cute, BFFL!! < =D
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 5, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9031156

that would be funny if it weren't so aggravating. Cute little buggers. :)

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9031164

Oh dear, of course Mary is right, I'm sorry I laughed. =( There but for the grace of God go I. (then again, my squirrel population says I *do* go there now!) =)
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #9031167

People drop off kitties here in our woods, so they grow up with the racoons; they're cousins, lol.
We get the kitties all spayed and neutered ( wish we could do that with the coons!) and they have a heated insulated shelter, an enclosed back porch and a heated water bowl. Some of them are fairly tame. If I wasn't allergic to them, they'd all live in the house. :(

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9031184

Woweeee, best-kept strays in the country! =)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 5, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9031234

Hmmmm. spayed and neutered racoons... Do you suppose we could start a group like APCA (seems like I am missing an S in there somethere) but for racoons?

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9031235

kywoods you are a saint. :)

I take a lady friend of mine every month to the feral cat spay clinic here they do it for $10.

'cept she can't house them and they are urban kitties.

thank you for telling us about your crew. makes me smile a little inside to know there are wonderful people like you.

on the wintersow front, hurt my hand again and can't do a think for a little while. rotten hand. heh. my bad. we have big gusty wind today too and not feeling the love outdoors.

have a goodnight all.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9031294

Now that my larkspur are up and running, it is so many little plants in the jar, how long before I will have to replant them in the ground. They are only 2" high, but they are fighting for spase. Also my orange cosmos is about 3"high, I guess I can take the top of and just protect them at night. We have about 3-4 weeks before we are usualy planting in the ground. I have just ordered more seeds and hoping it is not to late to do with them the W/S.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9031411

The kitties do earn their keep. Ever since they started showing up, we have no more mice in/around the house, thus snakes generally avoid the house now. I don't mind the snakes, but Mom freaks out over them.
They also keep the squirrels and chipmonks from burying their stashes in the gardens. However, the kitties will dig in the soil from time to time...lol.

If I'm gonna wintersow, guess I better start soon. We got an inch of snow last night, but it was gone within hours, as it got up to 40 degrees.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9031514

kiseta - yes I have held off on planting annuals inside for the worry that they would become unmanageable but with our warm weather I guess I can put all my containers outside.

"spring" is right around the corner, even though I had to remind a neighbor last week on our 78 degree day that April 15 is our typical "last frost" date.

Fun fun. :)

A.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2012
2:02 AM

Post #9031782

[quote="AmandaEsq"]kywoods you are a saint. :)

I take a lady friend of mine every month to the feral cat spay clinic here they do it for $10.
[/quote]

OK, *THAT* just came out sounding soooo funny to me that I had to LOL!! You take her EVERY month to get spayed!?!? Haaaaaaahaahaahahahahaaaa!!!!!! OK, I'm sorry, .. it's early and I've got the giggles.

I'm all done winter sowing, but was thinking... any "winter" sown containers, I would think, should be perfectly fine outside now... no matter what they are... Actually, would have been fine outside all "winter" long. ;) Isn't that the whole point of winter sowing? I never start anything indoors 'cause I don't have the space for rigging any sort of set up, and have no desire to spend the $$ on it all when I can just winter sow the stuff. >shrug< What can I say, I'm cheap! =)
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9031865

Oh gosh lots going on here.Thanks Amanda for the new thread. I promise to work on learning how to continue a thread.

speedie you are too funny...And hey my indoor light set-up,has not really cost a whole lot..Seriously,as my dh is the one who squeeks when it comes to $$..LOL..I stole the plastic shelving out of his garage..LOL..3 sets,and we had 6 4ft 2 bulb flouresant fixtures,just doing nothing,used some fine chain we had saved and zip ties to hang the lights from the holes I drilled in the shelves...We were pleasantly surprised that it didnt make the electric bill go up. i love starting things under lights. Trying Lisanthus,Bacopa this year dont know if I started it soon enough ..Oh well...Trial an Error.

I doo agree on the WSing,I too love how cheap and Easy it is..LOL..i was told by tcs (terese) dont over think it,best advice ever...

I have more jugs to go out in the next few weeks,more annuals.. I need to get my Grandson started on this.. He is 7 he loves planting or telling you where to plant the talls one ...LOL

Oberon, You asked about doing tomatoes under lights ,I dont ,didnt like how they turned out,Ill be starting them later outside . Crit is right on great advice,snow...Your over thinking it...LOL..sounds like you still have plenty of time to get those veggies going.

Etelka,ive had good luck seperating young larkspur,do it early,Ive moved them outside in early spring last year,becareful of the tap root.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9031926

I read this just in time to refrain from putting my tomatoes under lights!!! Do they do well with winter sowing?

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 6, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9031938

I think wintersowing is a fantastic, inexpensive way to get a lot of very sturdy little plants. For many plants, it's fantastic. I do have others that I prefer to start indoors, I go the plastic shelf/shoplight route myself.

I haunt Craigslist and tag sales for lights :) Old retail stores that are closing are an excellent source...I got boxes of 24 bulbs for $5, nicer quality shop lights for $1, etc.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9032273

Celene, Im glad you said that..great places to pick up used light fixtures...Yay..

I start my tomatoes in jugs outside,in a few more weeks..Ive never tried putting them outwith my other things,in the snow..Are tomato seeds a Tender annual,Probly not ? ive had voluteers ,soo that would mean you could ws them ..?

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9032277

Good point about the tomatoes not being as tender as I thought they might be. Gonna get them outside soon!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 6, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9032340

I just took mine back outside. Poor seeds won't know what is going on. Leftthe other vegies inside.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 6, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9032400

I need to be less of a pansy about trying to wintersow tomatoes. They just look so small compared to the ones I grow indoors...
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 6, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #9032407

I have never successfully sown them before so I have nothing to lose by trying something new.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 6, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9032617

I'm going to try some. I got some $.25 seeds at Big Lots, I'll risk a quarter. What's the worst that can happen?

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2012
2:17 AM

Post #9032931

This is my first year attempting winter sowing tomatoes, so I hope they come out ok. I started 3 containers (if I remember correctly) of Bush Beef Steaks a couple weeks back, so we'll see how they do. Those are early ones, if I remember correctly, but do correct me if I'm wrong.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9033151

celene,you start your tomato`s under lights??

Oberon,LOL,they will be fine...probly the best ever..

I need to get in gear,got a baggie full of seed beggin to go outside,its 60 and sunny and WINDY,good day to sow seeds..

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 7, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9033857

I do my tomatoes on a germination mat under lights.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9033903

It was 70 and windy here today, and since I live in the middle of the woods, I didn't want to go out there and get hit by a flying branch or falling tree. I'm hoping tomorrow will be better.
Can you do winter sowing directly in the ground, say under a cold frame of some sort?

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2012
2:59 AM

Post #9034214

I'm not sure how that would work, KY, considering there would be no opening at the top for moisture to get in evenly to the seeds. True, it's not a sealed container in a cold frame, but I think a couple of things you need are good drainage and access for nature's moisture to get in evenly to the seeds. However, I have faith that you'd be able to figure something workable out! =)
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2012
4:38 AM

Post #9034262

KY,You asked a while back if anyone had problems with Racoons tipping over the milk jugs . Ive not had problems with the jugs ...And We have lots of racoons...

now the Garden on the other hand ...Last year we used bloodmeal in the planting holes ...WHAT A HUGE MISTAKE...OUR tomato`s were growing like gang busters ,best year ever ...Then DUG UP over night...AARRGGG, I cried...bloodmeal stinks when wet,coons loved it...ill never use it in the garden again when planting,Ill use it in the fall...

celene ,how big do you let them get under lights ?? Mine really took a dive when I moved them outside to harden off,It wasnt too cold,I didnt put them into the sun till I had them ,slowly exposed to it ,...They just got crummy ??? I will try agin tho.. I too hate planting PUNY plants ...LOL
TomVa
Central, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 8, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9034703

I only wintersow Tomatos,I also was a bit worried about them when I started a few years back but I learned quickly that when you didnt see any topgrowth what you were getting was an awesome root system growing that you didnt see and the key is after they get their first set of true leaves is to transplant them once in a plastic cup burried almost to the bottom of their leaves.The wintersown tomato plant will be much more hardy and they can take a bit of frost,They are smaller when you set them out but within 3 wks they will catch a store bought or grown under the lites plant and the 4th week they will pass it up and produce and produce :o)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 8, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9034718

Great. thanks so much Tom. I have some plastic cups (12 oz). I assume as they grow bigger you remove them from the plastic cups and put them in either a large tub or into the ground. I would probably put them in black felt garden pots to gather heat for the roots in our cooler air. Allowing for an ambient temp on average 62F, do you think full sun would be best? And what sort of fertilizer? Lots of water? I have made so many mistakes in all of the above I would truly like toget it right once. or more??
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9034825

Great ideas are to be had here, I see--thanks for the tips, everyone! Wow, no wonder the bloodmeal didn't work a couple years ago. It makes sense because racoons do eat small critters, so maybe they were digging for something they thought was living under the dirt. Sheesh...

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2012
5:09 AM

Post #9035479

Wow, lots of very helpful hints and tips here, thanks guys!! I did know about planting tomato plants as far up the stems as you can, but I'm with Mary in that I'm not sure what to do with the plastic cups. I've got numerous 4" growers pots, would that work just as well? I've also got 1-gallon sized ones, if the 4" ones are too small. Do we cut the bottoms out and sink those down into their 'permanent homes'?
Thank you Tom, for the reassurance that we need not fret too much about our winter sown tomato babies! =)

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 9, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9035550

Tom, I'm giving your advice a try. We'll see how my WS Mortgage Lifters and "some kind of saved currant tomato that I know reseeds and will be a good candidate" tomato plants do, compared to those started indoors. :)

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9035586

trying to get caught up...

I need to get some annuals done --

Will be starting tomatoes -- they do WS easily

I've done Amaranthus in the past -- again, easily.
but they also self sow readily... i generally have them popping up in various places.
i like them, so it doesn't bother me.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 9, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9035702

Has anyone started lisianthus from seed. I love the flowers but can't get them up here so I sent for seeds. My heavens they are tiny. They started germinating and then died. Teeny tiny plants. Would love to try again.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9036652

Oberon, Im trying to get Lisathus going under lights right now, waiting and hoping...says 10 days 68-78 degrees ,its been right at 10 days...fingers crossed..blue,red ,yellow ,pink. My petunias are germinating,Yay..
Seems to me all the seeds Ive planted this year are nothing more than Dust...LOL

I will only start a few Tomato`s ,I will buy the rest,They have the best heirlooms ever,healthy stocky plants.

Have you heard of trench planting tomato`s ?? Ive always known and have planted this way, with a gangly plant.

LOVE Motrgage Lifter...yummy...some guy developed this plant,I guess patent it or ? well anyway Paid off his Mortgage..hence the name...

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 10, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9036665

Mortgage Lifter and those weird reseedy currant tomatoes are my favorite tomatoes ever. I was told to try Kellogg's Breakfast this year, so I am. I also like those Sungold cherry tomatoes.

I am waiting to see how you folks do with Lisianthus...someone here told me they're so long to flower that wintersowing is a good idea. A nursery here sows them in January so they're in bloom in June, they told me otherwise they'd start blooming in August-September.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9036692

Yes ,I thought the same if I started them outside ..no blooms till the end of summer...I wish i would have gotten them started sooner..Im redoing our bathroom right now also,and I work...LOL..im curios as to what I will end up with,if they fail I will buy them...I soo Love them..

We have been growing ML for years,I try some different ones every year...All for Flavor,not worried about producers...Kellogs is it Heirloom ? I like sweet 100 cherry.I love the Green Zebra..beautiful and yummie
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9036714

Reseedy currant tomatoes? I didn't know tomatoes would reseed. But then, the critters here eat anything left on the vines...

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9036717

Hi ladies, I was just looking at my Lisianthus seedlings and wondering why they have stayed so teeny tiny for the past 3 weeks. I had them near a south facing windowsill, but I now have them under lights because I thought they might do better here. Still the same size. One thing I have done with the inside sowing is to spray the seedlings with a solution of chamomile tea which has worked so far to prevent theses seedlings from damping and falling over. We'll see how well the do from here on.

My petunias are doing well with the same treatment this year. I'm trying not to over water them as I'm sure I've done in the past.
Teri

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 10, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9036759

Kellogg's Breakfast is heirloom, I got the seeds at the Reynoldsburg, OH Tomato Festival.

If anyone wants reseedy currant tomato seeds, remind me in the summer. I no longer save seed, because they reseed in the spot where I plant them every year. They're tasty, indeterminant, fairly disease-resistant, and they make excellent raisin-sized sun dried tomatoes. I will probably have 20-30 volunteer plants that I weed out in May, too. I bought the original plant at Baker's Acres in 1998 or so, and I have no idea of the actual variety. At the time, I'd never seen a currant tomato before.
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9036801

This is my 1st year trying wintersowing--I tried some coneflowers that I've had trouble w/ germinating, and I love the results. I moved the containers in under the lights (not a patient man here) and they came right up. I will definately be doing more of this. Also, I have several varities of milkweeds that I am looking forward to seeing how they do, but they're still outside.

By the way Kellogs Breakfast is an excellent tomato--one of my favorites.

Thumbnail by BCH521   Thumbnail by BCH521
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 10, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9036896

I put my lisianthus on a warming pad, with a lid to conserve moisture. Patiently waited for the germination time and indeed saw some tiny little green things. but that was all and then they disappeared. touchy little critters. I just gave up on the flat. I have time to try again I guess but not sure I want to. So many other beautiful flowers.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9036909

The members who advised me to use pro mix with something that sounds like "mychorriza" for the planting medium and to use the chamomile tea spray were responsible for me going ahead with the sowing under lights. I had just about given up because of the seedlings disappearing due to damp off and other problems.
TomVa
Central, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 10, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9037000

Im trying Kelloggs Breakfast for the first time too,and a bunch of others, that is probably my favorite thing about gardening is starting new to me tomatos and plants from seed, every winter with trading seeds I always get excited because of all the new types of plant seed I receive. I just went out and checked my jugs and now have pearl bush and father hugo rose sprouting and a bunch of others that I believe I already posted. This week is gonna be a warm week I can't wait to see what else sprouts by the end of the week. And yes after I seperate the tomatos to their individual cups, May 1st they go into the vegetable garden and I again bury them deep..

Thumbnail by TomVa   Thumbnail by TomVa

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 10, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9037256

Glad it worked well for you, Roses. It changed my seed-starting life, and I can thank Tom Bird at Bird's Haven Farms for suggesting it.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9037357

What a nice, big garden!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9037800

Makes me hungry just lookin' at it! =)
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9037809

Ive warmed up the greenhouse room a bit maybe 74-75.. to see if thats good enough for everyone.. ; )
Having a bit of damp off with my hyacinth beans..Live and learn..I have more seed. I dont see any Lisianthus yet...and a few others I see nothing...I hate this part..LOL..I ve got a few more seeds to sow today,maybe outside too,if there is no wind.

Beautiful Garden..jealous..I have no flat ground...LOL

This message was edited Mar 11, 2012 8:41 AM

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9038076

I think spraying seedlings with a 9:1 mix of water and hydrogen peroxide mix will help with the damping off. Supposed to retard fungus and such. Don't know much about it, but it has helped me get rid of fungus on the surface of several indoor plants.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 11, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9038328

I bought some decorative kale, dill, cabbage to WS. Not sure if that will work. Also need to plant seeds from the New Zealand delphinium place. Hope they do well here. Plus have two kinds of poppies coming from OSPS. Just couldn't resist. I have got to move my car from the garage. i have too many pots, plats etc of stuff like begonias and dahlias stuffed everywhere. Need them under more light. Going to start some more propagated dahlias today. Just to be sure I have ample of some of my favorites like Blue Star and Procyon.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9038574

OH, my, you can't be wasting precious garage space on cars when there are seeds to start!
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9038609

Huggergirl, did you ever check out the euphorbia?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 11, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9038618

KyWoods -- 'truer words...etc' I propagated two more blue star, two procyon and one Hockley Maroon. No sign of Clearview Orca sprouting yet. Keep hoping. also no sign of White Fawn. Planted five more begonias. My indoor basil, cilantro, parsley is slowly developing. I was looking at last year's pictures. On March 2nd last year I was adding water to my pond as I had around 1+' of ice taking up the water. This year will be so much better as I don't think I have even 2" of ice. Much milder winter. I should be ice free in another few weeks. Still plenty of snow around as we got dumped on pretty badly, but it will be good to see if the fish will come out.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9039174

I did the peroxide an water ,It still dosent look good for the Beans.. I use it for fungus too,worked on that..

Euphorbia,Ill ck it out..

OH Kale seed I need some...LOL..I always plant it..need to get on that..Having some great weather...Yay
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9039584

We got rain here, Hugger. Do you have sunshine?
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9039676

it has not rained since I got up ,keeps looking like it wants too..LOL
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9039700

We had rain here most of the morning. I walked around the yard to check the gardens. Of course my vole is making his presence known. Most of my sedum is coming up (not the Purple Emperor, yet) some of the Rudbeckia and roses are forming buds. I noticed that something chewed my new rose bushes down. I read that you should not cut them back the first year but something has gnawed them down or broke them off. I also have some Mums and pups popping up in the back yard. This will be the second season for my pups in a new garden so hopefully I have a nice display back there.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 13, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9041712

Well, I transplanted my Basil, cilantro, parsley from flats to individual pots; started lettuce, decorative cabbage, and the Millenium Delphinium seeds I just received from NZ. Will have to transplant my portulaca to small pots from flats pretty soon. Looks like pretty much all my tubers (well, at least the ones that were not obviously rotten) are sprouting. Lost Sweetness (Dahlia) for the second year running. pooh. but I have some nice dinnerplates among other sizes coming from Swan Island. They should be here the first of April. Anyone else's dahlias popping. Must be down further south.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 14, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9042293

9:1 mixture of hydrogen peroxide. I just replanted my herbs and want to treat in advance for damp off. You indicated that it could go on seedlings and won't hurt them. So going to give them a shot. It is soooo disheartening to slave over the little plants then watch them drop over one by one so I am going to 'steal a march' on the fungus or bacteria or whatever and defend my small troops.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9042999

Hey! I forgot that some people also swear by cinnamon in/on the soil!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 14, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9043165

Too late. They are spritzed. Not sure how much or how often but they each got two spritzes today.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2012
3:46 AM

Post #9043302

I did try the cinnamon, Amanda!! I sprinkled it on right after I spritzed them with camomile tea and everything is still doing great!! (fingers crossed)

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2012
3:50 AM

Post #9043306

Crossing my fingers for you too Roses.. and my eyes... which makes it a little hard to type. ;)

Mary, maybe you should try it also, even though you've already done the other spritzing. I wouldn't think it would hurt. Would it? =/
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2012

Post #9043357

I thought cinamon was used for fungus gnats ??? Thats what I use it for /?/ Lets hear about this,I was wondering if it could be used on seedlings if I get Gnats ???

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9043390

I don't know the particulars and I'm afraid I don't have the time right now to learn about it fully and educate myself. I have heard that cinnamon was also used to treat wounds in people to ward off infection. SO. I don't think there's any harm at all in trying any of these home remedies. I'm not sure there would be "drug interactions" but you could certainly figure that out.

One lady on DG swears by spraying windex on her plants to eliminate all kinds of indoor houseplant creepy crawlies.

The hydrogen peroxide is to help oxygenate soil and tender roots and aid/speed germination. Also I'm told helps to combat soil borne fungus and other "things" that would thrive on a moist, damp, anaerobic condition.

Cinnamon - well, again - peeps on the propagation forums are rife with this information and I guess that's where i picked it up. Don't have a tub of it myself - fresh out, but I understand you can get a giant container of it at one of the dollar variety stores for cheap!

I have a forest of tiny mushroooms coming up in just one of my containers and it's quite a sight. Fortunately the plants are big enough to think about going to separate containers. :)

Good luck - and please share if you learn something new - I can look for the cinnamon info later today or tomorrow/weekend latest, but I have to keep running for now. Have a great day!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 15, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9043497

I don't get gnats but it is more the fungus I worry about that kills off the sprouts. And it is good to hear that it helps oxygenate soil and tender roots and aid/speed germination. I will spray my newly planted seeds with it also for that reason. the only thing I have in one of my propagating containers is a nice layer of moss. Interesting that it is only in one when the soil all came from the same tub of dirt amended with compost from the store.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2012
4:00 AM

Post #9044598

Read about cinnamon and lots of other tips here:

http://www.yougrowgirl.com/tips/
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9045249

Here is the link for using peroxide: http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/peroxide-garden.html
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9045372

Excellent sites, thanks!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2012
10:29 PM

Post #9045707

Oh thank you for doing my work for me. :D

I have been so tired from taking care of other people's critters this week I can't believe I am still awake. Might be time for a nap.

Today the giant puppy pulled my purple oxalis off the counter AGAIN. Maybe he thinks I should have a green one.

And my giant iguana found her way onto my seedling/plant shelf and knocked down a fluorescent bulb as well as (1) broke one of my three pride of barbados seedlings (2) upturned my papaya tray (3) knocked over 3 containers of seedlings sown indoors. :/

Two more excellent reasons to sow in jugs outside.

KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2012
4:51 AM

Post #9045800

Ornery critters! I hope you are able to rescue most everything! I used to babysit a friend's iguana, and it would sit on top of the old crt computer monitor where it was warm. I called it a computer monitor lizard...
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #9045821

LOL...OH mee...howd you keep your cool...Deep breaths...Oh and a Laugh...I kinda felt that way after I had given the dog a bath thursday an yesterday,she decided to run into the wetlands and lay down,poddle fur,full of green slime and mud...She was Happy...Swamp Doggie...She is getting a hair cut this am...she already hates me,more so after the hair cut...LOL..

I see EEnie Lisianthus popping,i think the peroxide spray did something to my hyacinth beans ?? I did the 9-1 I know itwas not too strong ,lights and heat + peroxide ??? Oh well putting more beans in today..we will see..No spray on these..LOL

I cant beleive I let my wsings jugs dry out...???? Hoping the seed is still OK,Im sure it is,now it will just be a little behind...we will see..

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9046061

I've done something wrong with a couple of things inside - will pass it on - plants don't need sun particularly to sprout. "Light" yes - but it's more of a temperature thing. I have probably fried some of my seeds by too much sunlight. Indoors anyway and enclosed in ziplock baggies - probably too much heat AND too much light.

I would be surprised if the peroxide did something to hurt your beans. It's supposed to aid germination. In fact I've read that a soak in a peroxide solution will cause lots of seeds to sprout within 24 hours! Crazy, but true! I tried it on several things last spring and was amazed.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 17, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9046207

Hey that would explain the incredible sprouting of my decorative cabbage and lettuce.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9046983

What I was wondering if it was because I sprayed the leaves of the hyacinth bean while under the lights,thought maybe the the peroxide + light on the leaves caused them to burn ??? Starting some more...LOL..

Hoping this wonderful weather is not going to turn around and bite us all in the behind ...LOL..Golly it is wonderful like Summer...Oh Baby...

Got Germination in my WSing jugs...YAY>>>YAY...

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 18, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9047016

I only ever bottom water with the hydrogen peroxide solution.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9047119

NEWS BREAK: I finally have my first tomato sprout in one of my Winter Sown jugs!!
YIPPPEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

... we now take you back to your regularly scheduled programming... =)
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9047139

Oooo, Congrats!!
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9047185

YAY...LOL..

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9047276

I just did my "maters 2 days ago... I generally have 100% germination, I think i'm gonna have too many this year, but i have 1 friend I plan to give a few plants to.

I did 13 containers. Mostly salvias

I still have to do Marigolds and Zinnias.

I also may just direct sow a lot of seeds as I really ran out of time, and summer came so fast.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 18, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9047283

I figure with what I have sown inside and outside, and the tuber type stuff inside, something has to work. lol. God help me if it all works. I don't have that many people to give stuff to. My neighbor to the right is deploying in May and his wife hasn't decided what she will do. She is also in the military, but no spot for her where he is going. They have rented for the last two years and we hate to lose them. A really nice hardworking consciencious couple, plus really funny and friendly. And there when you need a hand. We live in a cul de sac and there are three of us that keep an eye out for each other, help out with snow, and generally visit in the front yard in the summer. Since their house sits not 15 feet from out\r house (they sit sort of at an angle to each other corner to corner, and we share a front lawn (most of which is ours) it is nice that they are like family. About our kids ages. They do gardening, he more than she, so I always have a place to give my overflow; them and the other young couple across the cul de sac. Really going to miss them unless she decides to stay on here knowing she would be well looked after by us and the other family.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 18, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9047723

this isn't really winter sowing but related. I got my saw horses out of the shed, got the 4x8 (with daughter's help as it is 5/8") from the side yard. I took down the shop lights from where they were snugged up against the ceiling. Cut the chain the way I wanted to in the beginning and have the lights up and all tidy and hooked to their power supply. Now I just need to lift that plywood onto the sawhorses, cover it with visqueen and load up with plants. Yay! I am cleaning out my kitchen and dining room of all the starters.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9047903

Visqueen? What's that?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 18, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9048037

heavy plastic that comes in roles. People use it for all sorts of stuff, including laying down and covering it with chips or gravel where they don't want stuff growing up through it. My roll is 8" wide by 50' long. So I cut a 4' long piece that when unfolded gave me a 4x8+ covering for my plywood.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2012
3:18 AM

Post #9048220

So I'm guessing that by now your kitchen and dining room are all back to "normal"? =) WooHoo!! Got any pics of your new set-up? =)
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2012
4:41 AM

Post #9048262

Id think our set ups under lights would fit under the wintersowing catagory,growing plants for our gardens...Granted not a true wintersow...but Id think ..its just the same..so to speak...No one will throw us out...LOL...They want to see what we are growing...LOL...

Tcs,ahhh glad you mentioned starting zinnias ...I need to get a few more things out there today,direct sow and jugs

Need to get to work first...have a great day all
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9048319

I'm 'sow' excited--the crocus I planted so late are actually coming up!!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 19, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9048608

Neat. I love crocus. Tried planting them in the lawn. Saw that in a book but they didn't take. I have some in my front garden and they come up through the snow even here. Because I move dirt around they have gotten spread through the entire bed. So neat.

Yup, speedie. My dining room is pristeen now. Took pics and will post when I fire up the desktop

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9048732

GRoan. A sowing joke. (sour face!)

Hugger - I only ever spray the soil with the peroxide solution if I'm using it on plants/sprouts. It can be used to soak seeds in to speed germination. Not sure what may have happened there - possible that the water on the leaves is what caused burn - that may have happened in the sun outdoors.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 19, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9048858

this really isn't new. I did the same thing last year. but here are some pics. they show some dahlias in shallow trays to see who is going to germinate or not. the ones that had started to grow I put in their own pots. I also propagated from about five where I only had one or two tubers and wanted to assure I had good tubers for next fall. Lots of shoots this year.

Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 19, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9048871

Ops I goofed. Pic 2 & 3 are the same. Here is a picture from the other end of the table.

Thumbnail by Oberon46

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9049814

Very nice...I was thinking too maybe the hyacinth beans may have gotten dryer than I thought ??? leaf curl...hmmm ...thinking that was the prob,was not wilting yet,when I saw how dry they were...ahhh...
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 20, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9050031

My seed flats weren't getting enough moisture so I added more water to the bottom wicking tank and opssss. boy are they wet now. Hope they will dry out a bit as they are germinating like crazy. Cabbage, lettuce and thyme.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2012
3:03 AM

Post #9051037

There's always thyme to garden, huh? ;)
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9051126

LOL...speedie...I see we have our own comedian...Yay...lOL...I too have a sense of humor,a bigg one...

Ob,ahhh germination Yay...speaking of I have quite a bit of blue lisiathus germinating...anddd lots of other things...

ill take my camera out an about today...take some photos of my jugs...whats up...Everthing under lights is doing really well..I couldnt be happier...except when I rode my motorcycle Yesterday...That was really great...
I dbetter get off my duff and get this day underway,have a great day all

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2012
4:19 AM

Post #9053630

Huggergirl, I'm unfamiliar with Lisianthus, so I looked it up... WOW, you've got those!!?!? Did you Winter Sow them? We don't carry them, or their seeds, at work, and I saw that my zone is a bit 'lower' than what they require... and yet, in the Plant Files here I see that someone in Michigan has been successful in growing them, and you're in 5b, which is definitely 'outside' of their zone requirements, so now I've decided that I'll HAVE to have them. =) Do they self-seed for you?

Looking forward to seeing what your camera adventures bring! =) That reminds me.. I've got a few pics I need to take too. ;)

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9053708

Hi Speedi,

I'm sowing them under lights inside also, but will treat them as an annual since they won't overwinter in the ground here in zone 6b. I think they're so pretty that having them as an only an annual is worth it. Teri
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9053715

speedie, wintersown and under lights...making sure I grow some...LOL...hopinhg they mature FASSST...LOL..They are an annual here

I failed onthe camera thing...hahaha...geesh..made me mad at meself...LOL...I will get it out today perfect for taking photos overcast...Off to work again...Have agreat day
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2012

Post #9053717

Teri, I soo agree...I love them,Ive got pink,yellow,red,blue...not seeing much germination with the pink an red tho..I see a few yellows...fingers crossed

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 23, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9053913

I tried to sow them indoors. Even used a heating pad under. they barely started to germinate then just stopped. I have ordered another packet as I really really want them. Have for the last few years. So just sow them under lights in the house and mist until they germinate. How long to germinate.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9054031

I stopped winter sowing today.

I have an opaque plastic storage drawer thingee I'm placing 4" pots in with soil and seeds. Most, but not all, of the seeds in milk jugs have sprouted. I'm nowhere near finished.

Today I planted herbs and tithonia, mexican sunflower. Most of the herbs are for bugs to eat in my butterfly garden. :D

Happy gardening!
A.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 23, 2012
11:34 AM

Post #9054091

I sow parsley, dill and fennel for bugs, too :) Not that they don't share nicely with humans.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9054102

This is what I WS'd yesterday. I am almost finished with my WS. I did see where I missed some angelonia seeds and I need to plant them...

I have also found the six packs that one buys annuals in, makes the WSing go so much faster than the other containers. I fill them with soil all at once, sow 6 different types of seeds - label them all and then put 1 gallon sized zip lock bag over the entire six pack...

Nicotiana Alata Lime
Calendula Amanda (yes, Amanda, I got these seeds from you ^_^)
Convolvulus Blue Enchantment (2)
Dill Bouquet
China Aster Callistephus Chinensis
Calendula Carolyn (seeds from plants I grew last year)
Rudbeckia Cherry Brandy
Marigold Cottage Red
Nicotiana Crimson Bedder
Marigold Eskimo White
Basil Fine Verde
Liatrus Flouristan White
Amaranthus Green Tails
Sempervivum Mix Hens and Chicks
Amaranthus Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate
Basil Lime
Dill Long Island Mammoth
Zinnia Marylandica Zahara Yellow
Love in a Mist Mixed Colors
Impatiens New Guinea
Scabiosa Ochulara
Calendula Officinalis
Zinnia Old Mexico
Nicotiana Perfume Purple
Nicotiana Perfume Red (I think)
Stock Pink
Cosmos Purity
Convolvulus Red Ensign
Snapdragon Red Rocket
Marigold Rusty Red
Nicotiana Sandersae
Marigold Scarlet Starlet
Nicotiana Sylvestris
Zinnia Tequila Lime
Alyssum White
Nicotiana White
Digitalis White Excelsior
Nicotiana Sylvestris (Peace Pipe)
Portulaca Grandiflorw Happy Hour Banana Hanging Basket
Portulaca Margarita Coconut Hanging Basket
Purslane Rio Yellow Hanging Basket
Portulaca Salmon (2) Hanging Baskets
Cleome Cleome Hasslerana R

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9054126

Carolyn, are you going to Holly's swap with all the extras you'll be having. That is quite an impressive list!!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 23, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9054127

Holy cow Carolyn. Weren't you going to your son's or something. I like the idea with the six-paks. that would take the replanting so much easier. I can't remember if I have any left. If I do they are in a large 33 gal garbage bag on the open deck by the shed -- under a lot of snow. I may trek out there and look although I think I am done with winter sowing for now. My New Zealand delph's have germinated (indoors under aerogarden lights). I can hardly wait to see how my WS stuff works when it warms up. Still holding in the teens for temp. But the clear blue skies and sunshine take the bite out of that. It seems to work here that clear skies mean lower temps.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9054130

Awesome!

I do like the WS idea of putting 6 packs into baggies. How tidy is that!?

I used several today to start different varieties of marigolds in, but I am not sealing them up.

You remind me how far behind I feel, yet there are so many seedlings out there I am already out of space when I think about it. :D

I sowed some of the R. 'Cherry Brandy' last year but they did not bloom. I had hoped they were a true reddish color. Someone gave me a plant and the flower was not what I expected.

Hope everyone's feeling April coming on!!!

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9054135

I did the Cherry Brandy also, Amanda, and mine were more the color maroon than red.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9054141

Teri - I am not going to Holly's swap :( I wish I was. The swap at your house was so much fun! If you want, I can send some seedlings your way.

Mary - I still am going to my son's tonight for dinner. Made oatmeal scotchies yesterday to take over with me. I just need to stop home and get changed and pick up my cookies to take over.

I took yesterday off - it was just too nice to not putter around home. I also divided up some violets yesterday as well. I have a trade going on with those too. I should have some left if anybody is into AV's.

I wanted to get to the callas and dahlias, but spent the remainder of the day cutting back my type 3 clematis...

Yesterday was a good day!

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 23, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9054231

What a garden. Damien and I talked more about gardening and what we need to do it out in the valley. I am in a position to make demands. lol. A greenhouse, a raised area to do potting and such (spares the back a lot) a root cellar, small tractor --- I'm on a roll. Assuming I don't roll over and croak first. I get my confidence from Pirl, BonnieGarden and a few others.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9054275

Maybe we could get together another time Carolyn.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9054307

Carolyn, you have been busy! So glad you were able to ws thus year. I'm hoping to get some of my hardy annuals started soon. I have been checking my jugs daily. I'm getting more germinatin daily.

I was looking at the Garden Gate book on flower combinations. There's pictures of dahlia Arabian Night and Gallery Art Deco. Those are beautiful! Have anyone seen those on their area/
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 23, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9054344

I rodered Art Deco last year from OHG and they sent me a different dahlia. A great huge red one. It was nice but I really wanted Deco as it is so different. They said they would send this spring. Hope they don't forget.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9054490

Teri - I would love to get together! It would be fun!

Mary - I would definitely put my demands out there - you may get more of what you want that way. I pot up everything at my potting bench, but I end up with a sore back. I do have my stool there, but with my helper Merlin - I always let him take my seat. He is in the picture attached.

Anita - I had not heard of Dahlia Arabian Night before so had to look it up. It is gorgeous! I picked up another dahlia tonight when I stopped at Walmart on the way home. Walmart had Akita - which surprised me. Akita then surprised me again by jumping off the shelf and right into my shopping cart!

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 23, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9054509

Oh, I love your helper. He is a beautiful cat. And you just can't trust those dahlia packages. Sneaky devils make their way into internet orders, shopping carts, all manner of ways. lol.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9054866

Carolyn, some other people who were waiting for me to have the swap this year, can't make it to Holly's and would like to get together here. We can all keep this in mind and have a small gathering that is a few hours closer to me than Holly and Ric's. Their swap is filled with so many different visual pleasures, but, if one can't make it maybe we can create alternatives.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9055078

Love that kitty! Before I enlarged the photo, it looked like he was deeply contemplating the picture on the wall, lol. Is there something above it that has his attention?
I bought some dahlia seeds from the dollar store. I hope they grow.
dawnsharon2001
New York, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9055246

I have "winter"-sown Magic Fountains delphinium, Madame Butterfly snapdragon, Pansy 'Chianti', and Stock 'Vintage'. The stock has germinated completely, the others not so much. I meant to do many more, but I ran out of winter (or even early spring) weather a week ago!

I wouldn't have made this the year I tried winter sowing if I'd known there wasn't going to be a winter.

I have no plant lights indoors. How can I take advantage of containers to germinate my seeds -- mostly annuals -- now that it's spring?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 24, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9055366

I tried to WS coleus and lobelia then took them inside. They haven't done a thing. Do you suppose the winter killed the seed. They were out for a month before I took them in.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9055589

Great Googley Moogley Carolyn, when you winter sow, you really mean it, huh!?!? =)

Mary, there's a few varieties of Lobelia that are ok to winter sow, they are:
Lobelia cardinalis - Cardinal flower
Lobelia glandulosa - glade lobelia
Lobelia spicata - pale-spike lobelia
Lobelia siphilitica - great blue lobelia
Lobelia spicata - pale-spike lobelia

I'm not sure what you sowed, but if it was any of those you should be ok. If yours aren't doing anything yet, give 'em about 3 weeks or so with soil temps of about 75 degrees F before they germinate.
As the Hitchhiker's Guide will tell you: DON'T PANIC. (in large friendly letters) =)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 24, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9055641

Nope. Lobelia Crystal Palace Lobelia erinus Guess I better go get some more.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9056047

Before you run out the door, don't forget to give 'em a few weeks after the temps are around 75 or so consistently. I don't think you need to count them out yet. Then again, if you get some more, then you might just end up with nicely staggered bloom times. =)
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9056330

Another tip here on growing tomatos. Lay the plant in sideways, then curve the top of the plant up to the top of the soil. This gives it more room to send down more roots for a heathier plant.

I still have lots of reading on this thread, as I got way behind. But will be back later!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 25, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9056353

Great advice Crit. Will try assuming my WS tomatoes get that big.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9056366

Hope I can remember this great tip, Crit. I try to remember so many that some get lost. Hopefully, not this one!!
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #9058806

LoL @ Carolyn! The exact same thing always happens every time I walk by plants, bulbs or seeds.

Is anyone getting the freezing temps today?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9058880

Anita -- we are currently 41
Looks like possibly a few mid to upper 30's this week... no frost or freeze warnings.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9058934

Lucky you Terese! We had the freeze last night. I had to have my son cover my babies. And we are currently still at 32 degrees. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Most of my jugs germinated.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9059378

I have things growing in my jugs. Some of them aren't making any condensation so think I am going to try to lightly water them. Don't want them drying out and killing what is trying to germinate or has just germinated.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2012
11:01 PM

Post #9061366

I have opened many of my containers as there are sprouts in most of them. Yes Patti - making sure they have enough water is very important as it heats up - especially as I use a fairly chunky peat moss/pine bark fines soil-less mix to start mine in. I didn't have any vermiculite on hand to add this year so I went ahead, then read that as this type of mix dries it forms a crust difficult for seeds to break thru. :/

I also have moved some WS jugs back inside for cold stratification in the refrigerator due to the lack of cold outside typical of March. I'm not a novice seed starter, but I am starting a lot of native perennials and not much germination information on some, so it's sort of frustrating when nothing happens.

On the upside, lots of seedlings in most containers, so I'll be transplanting most to 2" pots as they obtain their second sets of leaves.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9061494

Im just getting eenie sprouts,soo far ,watered them yesterday...I had let them dry out...arrgg..before germination,so they are doing pretty good now...LOL...gotta keep an eye on them,this up an down temps...and wind..

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 29, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9061552

Mine are chugging right along, despite the dog knocking over a full flat-I lost almost NO seedlings, I just flipped the inserts over and the plants held together very well--WS lettuce, cole crops and poppies are tough little customers.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9061731

Mine are really sprouting well. Have some that need to be moved as they are getting very tall in the jugs. YEA!!!!!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 29, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9061758

Is it just my computer, or is DG getting realllly slow. Not just this thread, but even short ones?
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9061800

It isn't bothering mine, but maybe we need a new thread?

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9061866

Something is going on with the server, methinks. I had trouble all last week and read similar complaints across several threads.

Patti - why don't YOU start the new thread. :P

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9062137

I haven't notice a slow down... I've been in and out all day.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9062278

I have noticed if I use Firefox for DG, it is much faster than when I use Google Chrome... Give it a try, Mary.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 29, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9062318

I DO use Firefox but I have Google Chrome. It seems to be working okay not. I guess it was the computer gremlins waiting for me to cry 'Uncle' to let my computer work okay. Thanks Carolyn.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9062875

ive been having trouble for weeks...Very SLLOOWW to load even the home page ??? i can understand photos being slow loaded...Ive lost several posts,lengthy ones too...very Irratating ...enough so I wont do photos anymore.Iwill try firefox tho... I Dont have any trouble at ATP or Cubits at all ???? Ever...So I dont know..whats up

This message was edited Mar 30, 2012 7:24 AM

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9063316

Maybe you should / we should send our concerns to administration.

They're usually pretty eager to please. :P

A.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #9064270

huggergirl ... when I am typing a long post, I will copy highlight and 'save' as I go, so as not to lose everything. Also do that when I am finished. That way, if it does disappear, I can just paste it and try again. Just sayin'.

A. ... I hate to start new threads on someone else's thread, that is why I usually don't do it unless the original person isn't available. ^_^

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9064427

I know Patti - I agree - you know on the Newbie seed thread I am now getting requests for seeds because I started a new thread for RC. :D

A.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9064560

Okey dokey then, I guess it's time for me to learn something new and try to start a new one of these. Wish me luck! =)

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2012
4:46 AM

Post #9065159

Come on over to the new thread... "What have your wintersown so far #3"

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1249836/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America