What Have You Wintersown So Far?? (PAGE 2)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Welcome!

Please join our on-going discussion about our winter-sowing for the 2012 garden season!

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1237035/#top

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

That's so funny.

I couldn't find the picture I wanted, but the picture above of me and my dogs was taken on 3/4/2006.

So sweet - they were helping. Both of them are gone, but I am still trying to fill milk jugs with dirt. They couldn't figure that part out. :D

I don't have any sprouts so any pictures of this year's bounty will have to keep. Hurt my hand again yesterday (this time a nice deep cut on the palm/heel of my right hand). That'll slow me down a bit. maybe someone/something is trying to tell me something about this right hand of mine.

O well. Snow missed us last night, but it's colder out there than it has been in at least a week! Hope everyone is staying warm!

A.

This message was edited Mar 5, 2012 9:37 AM

Columbus, OH

We went from almost 70 degrees on Friday to snow on the ground today--not much, and it'll be back to the 50's tomorrow. Weird weather, but my poppy seedlings seem to be doing fine with it.

If my dogs "help" garden, it usually involves liberating a plant from its pot.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Celene - you see I have them tied and apparently where I decided to "work" was just far enough from their reach that they couldn't get to help much. See Max (the blonde) pulling to get her nose into my business? :)

Our giant new puppy liberated an Oxalis from its pot last week. I didn't appreciate his help either.

I've stopped calling the weather weird. Don't even know what to say about it except, gotta love that climate change!

This message was edited Mar 5, 2012 9:40 AM

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the new thread A. I just read the thread and was going to do it, but saw you beat me to it. ^_^

My dogs always try to 'help' me too. But it is more of 'Mom's on the ground, that means she wants me to play!!!!'. When I use to have a BIG vegetable garden, I had 2 Rat Terriers that I called the 'terminator' and the 'destroyer' because they loved the soft dirt and would dig up what I had planted. lol

Good info Tom. I will remember that! Thanks

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

How many winter sow while there is still snow on the ground, like at least half a foot that will be there for another several weeks? I know that many have spoken about having their containers sitting in snow, but I think for me 'winter sowing' might translate to planting and setting out containers more like the first of March or end of March rather than February. Even allowing for a record snowfall that means I won't be snowfree til possibly the middle end of April, at the best the first of april still sees frost on the pond and snow on the ground in the deeper and shadier spots.

I took my peas, tomatoes, beans, red climbers and cabbage containers into the garage. I probably should do the same with the lobelia as soon as I can find where it is.

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi, everyone, I just found this thread, and I have a question for you. Does anyone have experience wintersowing in an area where curious racoons like to tip things over and move things around looking for food? I've never wintersowed, and would like to try it, but I hesitate because of all the wildlife here in the woods. Thanks!

Mary, ws'ing in the snow is not a problem. The seeds that need stratification will get that, and the ones that don't will just set there dormant until it is warm enough for them to start to sprout. You just get it all out of the way when you can't be outside doing anything else, and they grow when they are ready. ^_^

Ky, WELCOME. The experience I have is to use 2 ltr pop bottles. Cut off the top about 2/3 of the way down. Put in about 4" of soil, put in the seeds and cover them slightly. (Oh, after putting in the soil I soak it real good before putting in the seed. Makes it easier to put the seed where you want them and starts the moisture) Slide the top back onto the bottle. (I sometimes make a slit so it slides on easier) then put 2 strips of duct take on either side. (You may not have to do the tape if you pack them together tight) Place them in a plastic tub (with drain holes in the bottom) or a cardboard box and pack them pretty tight. I have also heard of people tying a bunch of jugs together with string so they do not tip over easily. Hope this helps.

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Hmm, couldn't hurt to try it...thanks!

OH ...... another trick to keep critters away from the jugs and your gardens ...... put human hair around the jugs and also in your gardens. They do not like the smell of humans. You can either save it out of your brush or ask your beautician to save hair clippings for you. They will be glad to do it and a lot of them know the reason you are asking! lol

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Would doggie hair work? I work at a boarding kennel/groomer.

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

So far this year I put 30 milk jugs of hardy perennials out at the end of December. I will put almost the same amount of annuals and hardy annuals very soon.

It's so easy to grow new plants this way.

Teri

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED
Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

My wintersow season is over. I got zinnias, agastache, fennel. The rest have not come up yet. I think it did not get cold enough to suit them. hydrangeas, native hibiscus, Dames Rocket, Sweet Autumn Clematis, Texas Gold Columbine and a few others. This was my first time to WS and we just had a very mild winter. I'll try again next year.

No, don't think doggie hair would work. lol

Columbus, OH

If dog hair worked, there wouldn't be anything within a mile of my yard.

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

I'm afraid I'd have to second that, on the doggie hair, but human hair sure does work! =)

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL I know cat hair wouldn't work...

Thumbnail by KyWoods

Haahaahaahaaaaa, oh look how cute, BFFL!! < =D

that would be funny if it weren't so aggravating. Cute little buggers. :)

Oh dear, of course Mary is right, I'm sorry I laughed. =( There but for the grace of God go I. (then again, my squirrel population says I *do* go there now!) =)

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

People drop off kitties here in our woods, so they grow up with the racoons; they're cousins, lol.
We get the kitties all spayed and neutered ( wish we could do that with the coons!) and they have a heated insulated shelter, an enclosed back porch and a heated water bowl. Some of them are fairly tame. If I wasn't allergic to them, they'd all live in the house. :(

Woweeee, best-kept strays in the country! =)

Hmmmm. spayed and neutered racoons.... Do you suppose we could start a group like APCA (seems like I am missing an S in there somethere) but for racoons?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

kywoods you are a saint. :)

I take a lady friend of mine every month to the feral cat spay clinic here they do it for $10.

'cept she can't house them and they are urban kitties.

thank you for telling us about your crew. makes me smile a little inside to know there are wonderful people like you.

on the wintersow front, hurt my hand again and can't do a think for a little while. rotten hand. heh. my bad. we have big gusty wind today too and not feeling the love outdoors.

have a goodnight all.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Now that my larkspur are up and running, it is so many little plants in the jar, how long before I will have to replant them in the ground. They are only 2" high, but they are fighting for spase. Also my orange cosmos is about 3"high, I guess I can take the top of and just protect them at night. We have about 3-4 weeks before we are usualy planting in the ground. I have just ordered more seeds and hoping it is not to late to do with them the W/S.

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

The kitties do earn their keep. Ever since they started showing up, we have no more mice in/around the house, thus snakes generally avoid the house now. I don't mind the snakes, but Mom freaks out over them.
They also keep the squirrels and chipmonks from burying their stashes in the gardens. However, the kitties will dig in the soil from time to time...lol.

If I'm gonna wintersow, guess I better start soon. We got an inch of snow last night, but it was gone within hours, as it got up to 40 degrees.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

kiseta - yes I have held off on planting annuals inside for the worry that they would become unmanageable but with our warm weather I guess I can put all my containers outside.

"spring" is right around the corner, even though I had to remind a neighbor last week on our 78 degree day that April 15 is our typical "last frost" date.

Fun fun. :)

A.

Quote from AmandaEsq :
kywoods you are a saint. :)

I take a lady friend of mine every month to the feral cat spay clinic here they do it for $10.

OK, *THAT* just came out sounding soooo funny to me that I had to LOL!! You take her EVERY month to get spayed!?!? Haaaaaaahaahaahahahahaaaa!!!!!! OK, I'm sorry, .. it's early and I've got the giggles.

I'm all done winter sowing, but was thinking... any "winter" sown containers, I would think, should be perfectly fine outside now... no matter what they are... Actually, would have been fine outside all "winter" long. ;) Isn't that the whole point of winter sowing? I never start anything indoors 'cause I don't have the space for rigging any sort of set up, and have no desire to spend the $$ on it all when I can just winter sow the stuff. >shrug< What can I say, I'm cheap! =)

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

Oh gosh lots going on here.Thanks Amanda for the new thread. I promise to work on learning how to continue a thread.

speedie you are too funny...And hey my indoor light set-up,has not really cost a whole lot..Seriously,as my dh is the one who squeeks when it comes to $$..LOL..I stole the plastic shelving out of his garage..LOL..3 sets,and we had 6 4ft 2 bulb flouresant fixtures,just doing nothing,used some fine chain we had saved and zip ties to hang the lights from the holes I drilled in the shelves...We were pleasantly surprised that it didnt make the electric bill go up. i love starting things under lights. Trying Lisanthus,Bacopa this year dont know if I started it soon enough ..Oh well...Trial an Error.

I doo agree on the WSing,I too love how cheap and Easy it is..LOL..i was told by tcs (terese) dont over think it,best advice ever...

I have more jugs to go out in the next few weeks,more annuals.. I need to get my Grandson started on this.. He is 7 he loves planting or telling you where to plant the talls one ...LOL

Oberon, You asked about doing tomatoes under lights ,I dont ,didnt like how they turned out,Ill be starting them later outside . Crit is right on great advice,snow...Your over thinking it...LOL..sounds like you still have plenty of time to get those veggies going.

Etelka,ive had good luck seperating young larkspur,do it early,Ive moved them outside in early spring last year,becareful of the tap root.

I read this just in time to refrain from putting my tomatoes under lights!!! Do they do well with winter sowing?

Columbus, OH

I think wintersowing is a fantastic, inexpensive way to get a lot of very sturdy little plants. For many plants, it's fantastic. I do have others that I prefer to start indoors, I go the plastic shelf/shoplight route myself.

I haunt Craigslist and tag sales for lights :) Old retail stores that are closing are an excellent source...I got boxes of 24 bulbs for $5, nicer quality shop lights for $1, etc.

Celene, Im glad you said that..great places to pick up used light fixtures...Yay..

I start my tomatoes in jugs outside,in a few more weeks..Ive never tried putting them outwith my other things,in the snow..Are tomato seeds a Tender annual,Probly not ? ive had voluteers ,soo that would mean you could ws them ..?

Good point about the tomatoes not being as tender as I thought they might be. Gonna get them outside soon!

I just took mine back outside. Poor seeds won't know what is going on. Leftthe other vegies inside.

Columbus, OH

I need to be less of a pansy about trying to wintersow tomatoes. They just look so small compared to the ones I grow indoors...

I have never successfully sown them before so I have nothing to lose by trying something new.

Columbus, OH

I'm going to try some. I got some $.25 seeds at Big Lots, I'll risk a quarter. What's the worst that can happen?

This is my first year attempting winter sowing tomatoes, so I hope they come out ok. I started 3 containers (if I remember correctly) of Bush Beef Steaks a couple weeks back, so we'll see how they do. Those are early ones, if I remember correctly, but do correct me if I'm wrong.

celene,you start your tomato`s under lights??

Oberon,LOL,they will be fine...probly the best ever..

I need to get in gear,got a baggie full of seed beggin to go outside,its 60 and sunny and WINDY,good day to sow seeds..

Columbus, OH

I do my tomatoes on a germination mat under lights.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.