Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dixiedumplin
Riceville, TN

March 5, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9030695

I am at my wits end trying to find a type of rose to grow along side my garage. I'd like it similar to the one I already have that's beside my house. I have no idea when I planted it, where I purchased it or what kind it is. It's about 5 or 6 feet tall, fits nicely against the wall, has red blooms almost constant from spring to frost. It's a single bloom and is self-cleaning. Has to be very hardy because it has been neglected for several years. A few years ago I was deeply into researching roses and could probably have found something comparable but that interest passed and I got into daylilies. I know I've given you little to go on and I'm not asking for specific cultivars...just a general type to go looking for. Any tip you can give me will help since I have no other ideas. Thank you.

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9030923

Could you possibly send a photo of the rose beside your house?
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 5, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9030932

Welcome to rose mania, Dixiedumplin - (what a great name!) I hope someone can help you. I grow mainly old garden roses which are seldom as mannerly as the one you have
dixiedumplin
Riceville, TN

March 5, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9031398

I can get one now but it won't be blooming and I doubt if you can tell anything about it. I'm sure I've taken pictures in the past but probably not on my digital camera where I can upload it on my computer and include it in my posts. I'll try to go find one. I think the reason it is so mannerly growth wise is my neglect but the constant bloom is probably pure luck.
Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9031686

You said it was "self-cleaning" It sounds like the original Knockout rose, which is red and always blooming. But a good picture is needed to confirm its identity, of course.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 5, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #9031690

My Knockouts are not self-cleaning - at least not the way Iceberg is.
dixiedumplin
Riceville, TN

March 9, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9036230

Thanks for your attempts to help. I've looked to see if I have a picture of it and can't find one. It should be blooming in a few weeks and I'll get a pic and update this post.

DD
dixiedumplin
Riceville, TN

July 1, 2012
9:03 PM

Post #9189381

I'm hoping to bump this thread up since I've found pictures of my rose. Hope some of you can give me suggestions...any at all will be appreciated.

DD

Thumbnail by dixiedumplin   Thumbnail by dixiedumplin   Thumbnail by dixiedumplin   Thumbnail by dixiedumplin
Click an image for an enlarged view.

scottishgent
Conroe, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 4, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9229868

dixiedumplin, I'm surely hoping someone a little more knowledgeable than me will chime in here; I certainly don't know what specific rose this is, but it's really pretty.
Good luck !
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9231935

dixiedumplin (love that name!), I am definitely not a "name that rose" expert. In fact, I often have to dig into my own roses for the name tags in spring as I forget where I planted something and then think it is something else. I am much better at knowin which roses where popular during a certain era. But, that being said, I'm going to take a stab and vote for Mr. Lincoln. I usually think of Mr. Lincoln as having much darker red. Then I went onto HelpMeFind and Honeybee Garden (I don't know if this is OUR Honeybee or not) describes the color as maraschino cherry. http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.195465 The blooms can get huge from what I remember--a former neighbor of mine had a lovely specimen of Mr. Lincoln which was planted sometime in the mid-60's. I do know that un-tagged Mr. Lincolns can be found in many, many gardens throughout the Midwest. It was very popular--and still is!

If nothing else, my vote will bring out someone (who is much much better at this than me) to vote for something else! =)))
dixiedumplin
Riceville, TN

August 6, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9232290

I'm sure it was a fairly common rose at the time I bought it. I'm guessing 10-15 years ago but I could be wrong. I may try emailing the perennial nursery where I couild have bought it & see if she remembers what she has had. She really doesn't keep many roses so it's possible she'll remember. Thanks for your suggestion. Also, thanks for the compliment on my name. Since I'm from SE Tennessee I don't guess I live far enough south to be really in "dixie country" but I loved the name back many years ago when I started using eBay.

DD
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9232301

It can't be Mister Lincoln because it's blooming in clusters and Mister Lincoln's a hybrid tea (one bloom per stem). Also, Dixiedumplin's rose appears to be a double (15-25 petals), and Mister Lincoln has a full bloom (26-40 petals).

It has to be a tall floribunda or shrub rose or a short climber, but there are hundreds or maybe thousands of those with a red double bloom, so I'd hesitate to hazard a guess of any kind.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

August 6, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9232465

Perhaps you remember which several of the thousands were most popular/available about 15 years ago?
Europeana was everywhere, but it doesn'tl seem to be the one - both the blooms and the leaves look too light. I also think Showbiz was popular then but it too is a darker red. Dixiedumplin, are your photos true to color? Reds often get washed out in pictures.
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #9232526

Showbiz and Europeana were extremely popular then, but neither grows to 5-6 feet even in California. If I had to guess based only on the roses in my own garden, I'd say it looks like one of Meilland's landscape Meidiland roses, possibly La Sevillana or Scarlet Meidiland. Both of those are 5-6 feet in my garden and have the right number of petals.
dixiedumplin
Riceville, TN

August 7, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9233101

My reds aren't always true to color on my camera or monitor but I believe this one is. I've emailed the local nursery where I could have bought this but haven't heard anything yet. Thanks all for trying. Even if anyone has something similar that grows w/o too much coddling I'd be interested. Doesn't even have to be red.

dd
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9234023

Hi dd,
First of all, your rose doesn't really look like a single rose from what I can see in the photos. It might be a Morden Rose, which r extremely hardy. I'm giving you a link to look at. It might elp. Your rose looks like it might be one of those varieties Morden, Parkland. Definitely not Mr. Lincoln...
Good luck,
Sharon

http://www.hortico.com/roses/series.asp?cid=2
dixiedumplin
Riceville, TN

August 8, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9234350

Thanks, Sharon.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 4, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9264655

Well, I did say I wasn't and expert LOL! But it did look like a single stemmer and pretty full to me from the photos. My camera doesn't do reds that well either (and it's a Sony so it should!), so I thought I would give it a shot. My friend's Mr Lincoln didn't seem to get full in the spring then moved to more full with each flush and on into the summer. I kept telling here she should move it to a sunny location. It always seems that, when we come into an older home, things were planted out without thinking that the nearby trees will grow taller and wider. That was my friend's and my problem when we both bought our homes in my old neighborhood. Many things in the gardens we bought did not look like what they were supposed to as they were no longer in the sun or the shade they originally needed!
dixiedumplin
Riceville, TN

September 4, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9264781

As an update, the owner of the nursery where it was possible that I could have bought the rose responded that some years ago he did have a few Meidland roses. So, I guess I'll need to check further into them.

Thanks again to everyone who responded to my post. I have learned by this that I really should keep a good journal of what I buy whether I intend (at the moment) to buy the same plant again.

dd
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 5, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9266075

Wish there was a cool database with which one could keep track of rose purchases, etc. I've found several for goats. Not really expensive, under $20 maybe...
dixiedumplin
Riceville, TN

September 5, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9266205

Thanks for the info. Not into goats...yet. LOL

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 18 May 26, 2010 10:56 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America