Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Home Repairs and Maintenance: using tile carpet pieces to cover home floors....

Communities > Forums > Home Repairs and Maintenance
bookmark
Forum: Home Repairs and MaintenanceReplies: 27, Views: 235
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 5, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9030933

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with these somewhat new carpeting tiles that are being marketed these days. I know that both Lowe's and Home Depot sell them, but I am interesting in hearing from folks who have actually used them or know of neighbors or family who have gone this direction and see what the home owners are saying in terms of their being satisfied or not.

My husband has brought up the idea of the tiles being more proned to showing seams and coming loose versus the standard carpeting which comes in 12 ft. wide rolls.

Thanks in advance for any replies regarding this question.

Ruby

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9030949

I don't have any experience with them in homes, but I think pretty much every office building I've ever worked in has used them. The advantage is if you spill something or somehow ruin a part of the carpet you can just replace that square rather than the entire carpet. The ones that are used in my office don't come loose but you can tell where the seams are...however if you used a carpet with a bit more pile to it (office carpet is very flat) the seams would probably show less.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 8, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9034560

Thank you so much ecrane. I appreciate your response. I had read some reviews on these tiles and the points you made I had heard from others too. I do have to admit to having some very high traffic areas which are very obvious having white carpeting, which I didn't choose by the way, but was newly installed when I first moved here about seven years ago. I like the idea of pulling up stained pieces and replacing. My current carpeting can be steamed cleaned and look okay for a week or so and then the ground in stains will be to appear again after that. So very discouraging.

So very time for new something and soon. Again, thanks for you reply, it was very helpful.

Ruby
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9035515

I recall a college somewhere that put cheap white carpet down temporarily in a student break room. After a few weeks, it was of course dirty and stained. They then cut the darker section out and took it shopping with them and matched the color, then installed that color in the break room!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 9, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9035910

Oh gosh...my only complaint when buying this house was that it had new white carpeting. I thought to myself that whoever decided to put white carpeting in to a country home, didn't know much about living in the country. Here I am almost seven years later, finally having the money to do this and I will be so glad to get rid of white color, polka dotted by now actually.

Thanks for writing Texas.

Ruby
Delightful_Dawn
Altus, OK
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9037892

1 Lucky Texan - that was funny how they decided on the keeper color for the break room!
yellowTlover
Palmerton, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2012
11:02 PM

Post #9092402

This message was edited Apr 22, 2012 2:34 AM

This message was edited Dec 14, 2012 12:51 AM
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 22, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9092762

Dear YellowTlover...how timely your post is. This week is the week that I will be shopping for and purchasing something to get this project started. You have given me some great information and also a sense that the tile carpeting is going to be a good choice for me at this time. Thank you so very much for writing.

I will note the adhesives you mentioned and use them. I will have my husband helping with this project, but I have also been thinking that working with the tiles will enable me to be involved in the work also. Thanks for mentioning that the tiles have arrow marks telling how to lay them. I know nothing of the tiles other than what I have read on line. I am feeling pretty good about this, because I have been back and forth and back and forth over trying to decide what to lay. For a while I was thinking of laminate flooring, and then read that it has a tendency to be slick and I suffer with walking and balance issues and don't need anything extra to make me fall. At least if I fall with carpeting, the impact will be more cushioned. hahaha

Again, thank you so much for writing. Your timing was perfect and I can now go in to this feeling as though a good choice has been made. If you think of any thing else I might want to keep in mind, please feel free to share. I am sure that I will have questions once things get started, so hope that you will be available to possibly answer some questions if I have them later on. Oops, already have a question for you.

Do you believe there is a difference in the quality or wearability of the different possible fibers being used? Should I go for nylon, orlon, or the other sorts of fibers used? As I said, I am brand new at this, and would like to go in to purchase the carpeting with as much knowledge as I can. Did you choose one material over another for any specific reason? Did you purchase at one store over the other for any particular reason? Please help, I am picking your brain.

I did read somewhere that Berber is not a good choice if one has dogs because their nails tend to get caught in the loop. Any fiber better for resisting soil than others? I will take any and all info you can share. Thanks big time.

Ruby
1_Lucky_Texan
Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
9:44 PM

Post #9093703

Curiously (and perhaps off topic) Stainmaster carpet might save some car manufacturers!

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2012/04/carpet-company-could-save-auto-industry-from-disaster/

dunno if that will affect pricing/availability in the carpet industry.
yellowTlover
Palmerton, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2012
12:54 AM

Post #9093757

This message was edited Dec 14, 2012 12:52 AM
yellowTlover
Palmerton, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2012
1:35 AM

Post #9093767

This message was edited Dec 14, 2012 12:53 AM
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 23, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9094022

Thanks for writing Texan. With my luck or lack there of, I may have waited long enough for the price of the carpeting to now sky rocket and cost more than it would have a month or so ago. Oh well, that is a chance we take every day. I will try to not cry too much if this is the case. hahaha

YellowT, you are reinforcing still more that the carpeting tiles are the way to go. You ought to now go back to the company and apply for a sales positions. hahaha You have me sold.

Anyway...the actual installation is still a bit aways, though I will be most likely be ordering the carpeting this week. I am planning to start in a room where my houseplants spend the winter, and I will have a couple more weeks before I start taking the houseplants outside for the summer. I will make a status report from time to time.

Again, thank you both for your information.

Ruby
yellowTlover
Palmerton, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9094352

This message was edited Dec 14, 2012 12:55 AM
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 24, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9095789

Hi Yellow...I am not sure where Palmerton PA is in to relation to Dover PA. The Mid Atlantic Gardeners group here at Dave's is planning a Plant Swap on May 19 in Dover at the home of two Dave's members, Ric and Holly. You would be welcome to join the fun if at all possible. We will be driving up and back the same day. We have attended Plant Swaps with this group for five or six years now and much of our gardens have come from the lovelies we receive by attending these functions. I strongly encourage you to give it some thought. You can find information on the Swap by searching for the Mid Atlantic Gardeners Forum and checking out the swap threads. We are all so excited, and there are so many of us who have lots of extra plants to share with one another. Just this week Holly posted a message saying to invite others to come. She and her husband Ric are truly gracious hosts, having hosted another swap a couple of years ago.

I can promise this would be a very fun way to use a Saturday afternoon. I have been retired due to a disability for twenty years now. I am 56 years young and even though I battle health issues often, I feel emotionally better than I ever have. When first arriving on the scene at Dave's I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. It was truly Dave's members and the actual gardening itself that allowed me to maintain my senses while going through that health battle. I am happy to report cancer free for going in to year number six now. I would love to meet you, so if you are interested in attending the swap, please let me know and I can introduce you to some folks.

Please give it some thought. I have many good friends from this organization and wouldn't mind adding yet another.

Ruby
yellowTlover
Palmerton, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2012
1:08 AM

Post #9104994

This message was edited Dec 14, 2012 12:53 AM
yellowTlover
Palmerton, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2012
1:12 AM

Post #9104996

This message was edited Jan 30, 2013 8:27 PM
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 7, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9113716

Howdy, howdy...it really seems as if you and I have some sort of wave length thingie going. My plans a week or so back changed, and rather than going carpet shopping, I stayed home and gardened and thoroughly enjoyed it. Anyway...late today I have a follow up visit with a foot doctor that I visited about two months ago for a very odd blister that appeared on the sole heel of my right foot. The place bothered me for months before seeing the doctor, but with the Lidocaine ointment that he prescribed, the ulcer healed nicely within a week or so. It still bothers me from time to time but no where near like it did chronically for those months before seeking medical help.

I plan while in town to visit a flooring show room that someone gave me a referral to last week. So, if the business is open later today, I should have made my choice and gotten the ball rolling later today. I have been waiting until I could take my many house plants outdoors for the season before getting started on this major project, and the time has finally arrived that I can begin taking plants to the screened porch to live for the summer. No excuses for delaying the project any longer.

Anyway...thank you so much for telling me more about yourself. How interesting that you grow your own low acid tomatoes. I am like yourself though and really love a fresh tomato. Yummy!!!

I will write again with any progress. Thank you so much for your continued interest in the project. I will keep you updated.

Ruby
yellowTlover
Palmerton, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2012
12:33 AM

Post #9115135

This message was edited Dec 14, 2012 12:54 AM
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 10, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9118641

Hi - Hi - Got some carpeting ordered, the measurement person came out on Tuesday and now it is just a matter of deciding on a date. I decided to let the company install it. It is going to be such a major production and my husband already has summer plans for replacing our roof, so I didn't want to bog him down with this project too.

I decided on going with regular 12 foot wide darkish brown carpeting. I haven't yet called the store back to see about a cost figure after the measurements were done, so hope I am not too shocked. I spent all day yesterday sleeping around the clock. I awoke about 7 AM with some horrible stomach cramps. I then became really, really nauseas and spend the day sleeping on and off. I normally babysit three days a week for my grand children, but I had to call and have them make other arrangements yesterday and today both. I awoke early stayed up about an hour and then went back for about three hours of sleep. I have now been up about an hour and so far, so good. If not feeling better tomorrow, off to the doctor I will go. I am suspected a Urinary Tract Infection which gives me very odd symptoms, not the ones that most people complain about...so this may be the culprit. Will find out tomorrow I suppose.

Anyway...the raised bed with greenhouse cover sounds really cool. I hope that it does well by you. Oh my gosh, I love lima beans but have never tried growing them. The only things we have planted in the veggie garden are potatoes. We will put in some tomatoes, green peppers and squash later on. Nothing taste better than something directly off the vine.

Gonna run...might be time to lay back down for a bit. Thanks for writing, I am enjoying hearing about all of your projects.

Ruby
yellowTlover
Palmerton, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9120397

This message was edited Dec 14, 2012 12:56 AM
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 12, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9120927

Oh my gosh...I have heard folks say that a torn rotator cup is very painful. Yeah, I too am guilty of abusing my body at times too. Doing things, I know I shouldn't. Oh well, we only live once as they say. I can report getting better each day. Wow, Wednesday and Thursday are two days I hope to never repeat. Miserable!!!

A friend gave my husband John two nice size tomato plants last week. He hasn't put them in the ground yet though. Actually, Tuesday the 15th is the official day for no more chance of frost for our area, so after that he will begin seeing about the other things he will put in the veggie garden. I leave all of that up to him, as I have major walking difficulties and walk outside the home with a cane. Too strenuous for me and my deteriorating muscles. I do any preserving of foods that we grow though, so it is a team effort.

Oh gosh, let's hope I am going to be satisfied with the workanship of carpeting. They will certainly hear from me if I am not satisfied. I haven't called back to set up a date yet, because I have been feeling too badly to talk business. I will most likely call on Monday and try to get a firm date. I still have oodles and oodles of packing up to do before they can come anyway. I am guessing towards mid to late June before any installation will take place.

I took some pictures last evening outside and thought I would share a couple with you. I do want to thank you for your continued interest in my project and for sharing some of your gardening concerns. Do you go to other Dave's Garden forums? I tend to mainly spend my computer time on the Mid Atlantic Gardeners Forum. Over the seven or so years that I have been a member, I have had the great privilege of meeting many of the chatters at the plant swaps that the group tries to organize twice yearly. A week from today is the big shindig in Dover PA. A long ride for us, but totally worth it due to all the great plants we will be bringing home. If I remember to take my camera next week, I will try to share some pictures of the swap with you.

Anyway...I hope that you will have a great and productive weekend. I am going to work mostly on staying healthy. Take good care.

First picture is my back yard. Second picture is a vase of Iris and Peonies my husband put together. The third picture is one of the pots of hens and chicks I potted last week after a customer of my husbands gave them to him. Hope you enjoy.
Ruby

Thumbnail by rubyw   Thumbnail by rubyw   Thumbnail by rubyw
Click an image for an enlarged view.

yellowTlover
Palmerton, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2012
9:39 PM

Post #9121662

This message was edited Dec 14, 2012 12:58 AM

This message was edited Jan 30, 2013 8:29 PM

Thumbnail by yellowTlover
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 13, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9121959

Wow ...on the beautiful lawn in this picture. Our yard is full of so many different sorts of grasses that it is ugly to look at. It does always look pretty decent after a mowing, but when it starts to grow a bit, it leaves much to be desired.

You mentioning the ages of your plants makes me want to share that the majority of the plants that my husband John and I own came from our respective home places. Since moving to this house, both his folks and mine have given up housekeeping. My folks are both deceased, and his parents moved in to a senior facility some years back. When his dad was selling the home place, he told the children that the man was buying the property, not the plants, and so the five siblings all spent many, many hours digging up an enormous amount of mainly Day Lilies which his parents loved especially. John tells me that we have over 700 Day Lilies planted here. Now, that is a lot of Day Lilies.

John is now more interested in learning about and getting as many Iris as he can. I prefer the Iris over Day Lilies too to tell the truth. My very favorite flower is a Gladiolus. I think they are the most beautiful plant going. Oh, I love others too, but have always felt a fondness for Glads.

Let me run along and read some of the other forums I try to keep up with. Hope that you have a good Mothers Day and that the upcoming week is a good one for you. Take good care.

Ruby
yellowTlover
Palmerton, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9122185

This message was edited Dec 14, 2012 12:55 AM
yellowTlover
Palmerton, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9122190

This message was edited May 13, 2012 9:21 PM

This message was edited Jan 30, 2013 8:30 PM
yellowTlover
Palmerton, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9122276

This message was edited Dec 14, 2012 12:57 AM

Thumbnail by yellowTlover   Thumbnail by yellowTlover   Thumbnail by yellowTlover
Click an image for an enlarged view.

rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 14, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9122920

Oh my gosh...you have some great gardening ideas going on. I love the beds, and also love the upcoming pond and water fall. It is going to be super. I love the idea of a water garden, but have never really given serious thought to it. Too busy with what we already have going on to think of yet another project.

My husband started a rock walkway in our front yard several years back that runs the whole length of the house. He made some good progress in the beginning, but for a while now, he hasn't had time to tend to it, and it is basically a construction zone out there. He built it because about six years ago I began developing symptoms of a form of Muscular Dystrophy that runs in our family. My walking is unsteady and he thought he was going to be helping me access my largest flower bed better. What has happened is that I haven't really been able to access the front bed much at all the past couple of years and at times it gets in pretty bad shape. Right now it looks pretty decent because the plants are covering the weeds that I haven't gotten pulled out or killed yet. I have plenty of other beds here to keep me busy though, so no complaints. A few months ago he purchased a cement mixer that will help make the work go a lot quicker, so I have hopes for its completion this year...let's hope.

Anyway...thanks for sharing the pictures...again, your lawn is amazing. Hope that you have a good Monday and a great week. I will be calling the carpet company later today and trying to figure a day for the work to begin. I have loads and loads of packing to do before they can come though, so it won't be too very soon. Just knowing that it is coming is exciting for me though. I have been wanting new flooring for some time now.

Ruby
yellowTlover
Palmerton, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9123960

This message was edited Jan 30, 2013 8:34 PM

Thumbnail by yellowTlover
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance Terry 17 Jul 14, 2011 1:42 AM
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
I hated trimming the grass along the fence jleec 15 Jun 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Eeek... mice! dreamingofeden 10 Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America