LoveForests

LoveForests
FU
United States
(Zone 9b)

March 6, 2012
12:04 AM

Post #9031760

Anyone growing those pretty Pentas plants/flowers, that attract many butterflies, bees and hummingbird moths? show them here.
Share your photos of your Pentas, what state you are from and how you care for them, etc :]

Never mind . ...
It was a silly thought and a silly topic I started, I'm not the brightest person in the world.

This message was edited Mar 8, 2012 9:51 PM

This message was edited Mar 13, 2012 2:49 AM
Mangogirl
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 14, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9082761

Thumbnail by Mangogirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LoveForests

LoveForests
FU
United States
(Zone 9b)

April 15, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9083797

Ahh, I see you have alot of pink Penta plants. They look happy and healthy. How long have you had those in the ground? And do you see butterflies visiting them often?

I have two white Pentas that were planted in the ground a year ago, and they are only now growing about 1 and 1/2 foot tall by 10 inches wide. It took them a while to get growing full.

Thank You for your photo Mangogir l :]

Mangogirl
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9083984

I planted those last April and May. They looked great by year-end. I had to post a photo from December because they all froze back to the roots in January. The pentas are coming back and look good. I have been encouraging them with half-strength fertilizer. But only a few have flowers on them so far.

I had lots of butterflies last year and have seen a lot already this year.

I was lucky enough to pick up a tray of purple pentas from a discount rack. They looked pretty bad when I got them, but I was able to revive them enough so that every single one lived! See photo below.

I bet your white ones are beautiful. I love pentas (except for the nematodes).

Carol

Thumbnail by Mangogirl

LoveForests

LoveForests
FU
United States
(Zone 9b)

April 17, 2012
10:06 PM

Post #9087057

You have a gift of bringing plants/flowers back to life after they have been through heck: :]

My plants usually take a long time to recover or to grow because I don't pay too much attention to what soil they really should be planted in.
It's so awesome you got those purple Pentas and are reviving them. And it's good to know the Pentas grow back after a frost or freeze.
Oh, and yes, as you said, Pentas do better with a very light fertilizer instead of a heavy fertilizer.

About 6 months ago, a 'Hummingbird Moth' visited my white Penta flowers, they are so adorable!

Thank You for your reply, Mangogirl. Take care :]

Thumbnail by LoveForests

Mangogirl
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9087222

Have you seen/grown Panama Rose/Pentas Bush? Here's a link to it in the database: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/83648/. It's related to the Pentas and it is gorgeous. It's like a Pentas only bigger with more flowers!

Carol

LoveForests

LoveForests
FU
United States
(Zone 9b)

April 19, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9089310

No, I had never heard of them. I visited the link you provided, the Panama Rose seems to grow much taller. Now I
ll have something new to grow here. Thankyou for the link.

Good luck with your flowers and plants this summer, I think it's going to be a super humid/hot one this year in Florida. Makes me wish I had 'in-ground', automatic sprinklers, lol. :]

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America