Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Computer Talk: Another bug on my computer!

Communities > Forums > Computer Talk
bookmark
Forum: Computer TalkReplies: 13, Views: 150
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 6, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9032089

Now I have another problem! Started last night- Every time I go to a new window (ie, reading posts on DG) this comes up in the upper right corner of my monitor and stays for 30 seconds then goes away. I have never seen anything like it before. Any help?

Thumbnail by JoParrott
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Eggs_Zachtly
Washington, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9033899

Google tracking. =)
kowari
Rottweil
Germany

March 8, 2012
5:11 AM

Post #9034293

I wouldn't stand for that. I would, through the "back door", using a good file manager, go to ALL mozilla and firefox (or whatever you are using) directories and delete ALL *.temp , all cache files, anything to do with sqlite etc. and everything that doesn't look necessary. If it's still there after, I would uninstall FF (or whatever you are using), delete the bits and pieces manually and reinstall FF. I also found programs such as Picasa to be one hell of a huge chunk of spyware...
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9034471

I don't think going to all that trouble is going to solve a thing. I believe the tracking is on Google's servers, not your PC.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/google-tracks-consumers-across-products-users-cant-opt-out/2012/01/24/gIQArgJHOQ_story.html

kowari
Rottweil
Germany

March 9, 2012
3:59 AM

Post #9035418

I was actually talking about the notice that pops up on JP's machine and how to get rid of it. Have YOU got that note on YOUR computer ? NO ! Have I got it on MY computer ? NO ! Are we being tracked nevertheless ? YES! Are YOU using GOOGLE ? YES ! Am I using GOOGLE ? YES ! Have YOU got the sign ? NO ! Obviously that sign is embedded on JP'S machine and NOT on Google's server.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9035671

Well-- you will be interested to hear that the little sign doesn't show up any more (at least it isn't for the past 3 days).. Computers are such aggrevating creatures!
Strever
Hiouchi, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 11, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9038383

Jo
are you using Firefox addon Ghostery ?
it looks like a Ghostery popup showing which script is active on the site you are looking at

Quoting:Ghostery can prevent the page elements it detects from running in your browser. 3pes that are blocked will appear crossed out in the notification bubble. Blocking 3pes will prevent them from running in your browser, which can help control how your behavioral data is tracked.

Note: Blocking elements and/or cookies may interfere with webpages in unexpected ways. If you experience issues with videos, logins, comment forms, etc. - pause blocking by clicking on the Ghostery icon or whitelist the affected site in the Ghostery options menu.

Dick

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9038401

No, I use IE9- that window has gone away- haven't seen in in several days!
chuckdee
Corinth, TX

March 19, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9048694

I'd stop using IE9 immediately. Switch to Firefox or Google Chrome. It's very easy to do and they both will import all of your bookmarks.
IE simply has too many issues with spyware and other nasty things that can harm your computer.
moodylou
Akron, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9081575

Google Analytics, among MANY others, tracks you across the web. Innocuous? probably, but a neat little free program called Do Not Track Plus, takes care of all the companies that try to track you. I use it and it has made me pretty much invisible to tracking companies. Give it a try, and see who is trying to track you. It was a big surprise to me!
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9081691

moodylou, I use DNT too, and it seems to block hundreds of attempts-at whatever they are looking for?!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9090603

Hi,
I was reading through this thread and was fascinated by the program mentioned by moodylou & JoParrot called "Do Not Track Plus". Since I assume it's a download, where is it available? With so many scams out there I'm reluctant to just type it into search & click on a link. Is it put out by another company or is it just donottrackplus.com?

Thanks in advance!!
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9090806

Just Google Do Not Track Plus, and you will get the link-
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9090831

THANKS!!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America