-
AuthorContent
keithp2012
West Babylon, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9032447

I actually aquired Buckwheat seeds from a cat toy that had them as stuffing but they are fresh seeds, my cat managed to open it and the seeds spilled out so im going to grow them. I am reading in New York they grow in warm weather, around July, I am wondering can they grow in May after our last frost date? Do they grow erect or creep along the ground, and if allowed to seed will they grow wild in my area, I actually want this as it's helpful for the bees in the area.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9032498

I doubt that they will reseed, but they will grow in the summer in any loosened soil. Upright plant, best analogy I can think of ragweed. Today mostly grown as a summer green manure crop. But buckwheat flour makes outstanding pancakes and muffins. Buckwheat honey is dark and strong flavored but is among the best in my book.
mauryhillfarm
Vashon, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 7, 2012
11:19 PM

Post #9034184

I grew some last year as a warm season cover crop. They are a pretty plant. I let them go in one section to set seed, but got busy and never harvested it. So I'll be able to report in later in the year to say whether or not they reseeded on their own successfully.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9041031

Around what temps do you sow them at?
How long will buckwheat seeds remain viable?

I ordered a 50lb bag without asking for a price (that was stupid). It was nearly a hundred dollars in seed. After looking around on the web for mail order, that seems to be the going rate with shipping. What makes this seed so expensive?

This message was edited Mar 13, 2012 10:33 AM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America