-
AuthorContent
mccaine
Wilmington, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9033577

This was the first Dahlia to catch my eyes because of the way the hot pink pops off its dark purple leaves. It's Juliette. I also have a dark leaved variety that blooms like this in Yellow. Does anyone know what kind that one may be? I'll see if I have pictures when I get home. Also does any one know any tricks to getting the deepest foliage color possible?

http://www.plantdatabase.com.au/dahlia_juliette

Thumbnail by mccaine
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9033584

I'm guessing there many be many dark leaved dahlias with yellow blossoms.

There is no "trick" for getting the dark foliage - it's in the genes of the plant.
mccaine
Wilmington, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9033983

Yes but my foliage starts black but greens out as the season progresses. So I want to know how other growers keep them black, whether it be nutrients, light, or what. I think my yellow is either bishop of York or knockout. I also have mystic dreamer. Anyone else have some interesting black beauties for me to try?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9034016

Sorry I couldn't been of more help to you.

I grew these with supposedly dark foliage, from seed, last year. You can see the normal green of typical dahlias to the right. They were all grown in full sun. I have no idea if full sun made them lighter or not. The photo was taken October 12th at nearly the end of the season.

Good luck with your searching.

Thumbnail by pirl

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 10, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9037525

I have grown Bishop of York and Bishop of Aukland (deep red flower). They seem to maintain their dark color. I think I also had two others that were dark but much smaller.
Steve_D
Massapequa Park, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9051873

Bright sun will enhance the dark foliage. Today there are many low growing dahlias most originated by Aad Verwer including the Happy Singles, Happy Days,and Dark Angle series. In addition Melody Harmony and Gallery La Tour both of which are fully double dahlias. Here are some pictures in my garden.

Steve_D

Thumbnail by Steve_D   Thumbnail by Steve_D   Thumbnail by Steve_D
Click an image for an enlarged view.

mccaine
Wilmington, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9052453

Those are beautiful, Steve! What kind are they? I think I have the yellow one but the label just read "dahlia".
Steve_D
Massapequa Park, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2012
12:09 PM

Post #9052918

The first picture is Taxi Driver from the "Dark Angle" series #2 Dracula from the same series #3 Melody Harmony from the Melody series. All are originated by Verwer Dahlias.
Steve
Xaltd1
SOUTH HAMILTON, MA

August 13, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9240503

Now that my dark leaf dahlias have all bloomed, I can recommend "Star Wars":

Thumbnail by Xaltd1

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9240514

Very nice, Melissa. They are far nicer than the dark foliage ones I do have growing since I didn't dig them up last year but left them in the ground. Of course, they made it through the winter unharmed.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Dahlias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dahliettas, gallery dahlias, jackpot dahlias Lenjo 12 Mar 7, 2013 6:27 PM
Dahlias and black walnut hart 17 May 16, 2008 10:37 PM
Will the real Edinburgh please stand up? mvespa 19 Apr 17, 2007 8:44 AM
NO H20 - Candy says "Hi!" Please say Hi back Poochella 11 Oct 12, 2009 12:13 AM
Do ya really really have to dig them? WayehMalamutes 18 Apr 14, 2008 6:30 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America