Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: The Invaders: Milkweed: I think this is Milkweed...Is it?

Communities > Forums > Article: The Invaders: Milkweed
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Invaders: MilkweedReplies: 1, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 8, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9034590

I took several pics of what I believe is common Milkweed. I had a total herd of Assassin Bugs hanging out in it last spring, doing the Yeoman's job of keeping all sorts of bugs off of my tomatoes. I let it grow back for the Assassin Bugs.

At first, it was growing just along the fenceline. It had never spread before on the property. But, it is spread inward moderately fast. How do I corral it around the perimeter or just along one fenceline?

If I have to do Roundup lemme know. It's on sale here.

Here's a pic. I hope you can help me identify what this is, especially if it's invasive!

Thanks!

Linda

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

EleanorZRuch
Hatfield, PA

March 12, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9039424

Personally I do not recognize WHAT this foliage is...to what plant it belongs. Initially it does not appear to ME as milkweed - but perhaps some more experienced person will respond.

Frankly, at this stage it has the appearance more of the Evening Primrose that is a wildflower. I understand this variety grows nearly everywhere. The variety I imported here to the Poconos in PA grows VERY tall. But if topped it grows lots of side shoots.

The variety we have growing in the Pinebrook Children's Garden flowers from about June 10 until the plant dies in later October. It has daily flowers that open about 8:45 p.m. and fades about 9 a.m. New blooms develop daily which can be observed as they fling their four petals open.

Have you seen this kind of flower there in Texas? In a wildflower book I saw MY primrose identified as "Lady of the Night". Isn't that a delightful name? =)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Invaders: Milkweed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Milkweed oriole 7 Mar 12, 2012 9:10 AM
I'm glad there was a happy ending! carrielamont 19 Mar 12, 2008 7:58 PM
Whew! doccat5 5 Mar 10, 2008 1:56 PM
Thanks! CompostR 0 Apr 15, 2008 12:45 PM
me too! klapot 1 Jul 28, 2008 4:14 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America