Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Recipes: any threads for drying fruits?

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 6, Views: 84
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9034620

I'd like to dry some bananas, apples or cranberries, was wondering if there were any threads around for drying fruits?

ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

March 8, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9034931

Oooooh, good question! I love those dried banana chips! I've been wanting to make some and was wondering if it could be done in oven or microwave. I don't have room for another piece of equipment like a dehydrator.

Frilly, I hope you don't think I'm stalking you. We just happen to like the same things. Imagine that! LOL
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9034946

I had a dehydrator once, but it was noisy when it ran and put out so much heat into the room, I got rid of it. I would like to make banana chips in the oven if I could. I love dried cranberries, but they are so pricey. Would like to buy them when they are on sale, and then dehydrate them. Wonder how long they would stay good?

nah, I never thought anyone would stalk me lol

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9035086

Most dehydrating threads are on the Canning, Freezing and Drying Forum
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/puttinup/all

I dry many fruits (and veggies, mushrooms), from bananas, cranberries, strawberries to less common like pears.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9035146

thanks, I'll check it out! didn't know there was a forum just for that!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2012
10:31 PM

Post #9199908

If you can't find what you are looking for there, try googling the recipes. You get so many.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 10, 2012
4:32 AM

Post #9199997

FrillyLily, I have a Nesco dehydrator which I keep in the basement so that the noise isn't an issue. It came with a recipe book which includes fruits. We've dried strawberries, pears and tomatoes, and DH dries oregano in it; the other herbs like cilantro, parsley and basil, we freeze because we like them better that way. We love the pears dried; they're great for snacking or for adding to cooked cereals. We've also tried drying watermelon, which is interesting to say the least!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America