Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

any threads for drying fruits?

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I'd like to dry some bananas, apples or cranberries, was wondering if there were any threads around for drying fruits?

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Oooooh, good question! I love those dried banana chips! I've been wanting to make some and was wondering if it could be done in oven or microwave. I don't have room for another piece of equipment like a dehydrator.

Frilly, I hope you don't think I'm stalking you. We just happen to like the same things. Imagine that! LOL

I had a dehydrator once, but it was noisy when it ran and put out so much heat into the room, I got rid of it. I would like to make banana chips in the oven if I could. I love dried cranberries, but they are so pricey. Would like to buy them when they are on sale, and then dehydrate them. Wonder how long they would stay good?

nah, I never thought anyone would stalk me lol

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Most dehydrating threads are on the Canning, Freezing and Drying Forum

I dry many fruits (and veggies, mushrooms), from bananas, cranberries, strawberries to less common like pears.

thanks, I'll check it out! didn't know there was a forum just for that!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

If you can't find what you are looking for there, try googling the recipes. You get so many.

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

FrillyLily, I have a Nesco dehydrator which I keep in the basement so that the noise isn't an issue. It came with a recipe book which includes fruits. We've dried strawberries, pears and tomatoes, and DH dries oregano in it; the other herbs like cilantro, parsley and basil, we freeze because we like them better that way. We love the pears dried; they're great for snacking or for adding to cooked cereals. We've also tried drying watermelon, which is interesting to say the least!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.