Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Water Gardens: Start up!

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 63, Views: 404
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2012
5:08 AM

Post #9036598

Yay! Start up is tomorrow. We are supposed to be in the 60's all week - starting with tomorrow.

I have noticed the fish moving around in the murky water during the last week or so - I am anxious to see them without the murk.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9038541

It was a gorgeous day outside and start up went smoothly!

We are supposed to be the 60's all week! Yay! I am so excited.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 11, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9038557

What a neat picture with the reflection in the pond. See what you mean about murky. I am so excited for you. Will enjoy watching as you get the pond all balanced out and on it's way to 'normal.'
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 11, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9038682

We always start out murky every Spring. It doesn't take long to clear up the murk - new uv light bulbs went into the uv units and were also put in today.

It is so good to hear the waterfalls again!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 11, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9038696

DH is trying to get the UV in our pressure filter to work. We got a new one and it didn't work so we thought it might be the ballast. Got a new one. Put it in and no soap. Now I have to write to the vendor and try to explain why after all this time we are just mentioning the bits of sauder we noticed inside the lamp we got but thought it was okay. Pooh. that's okay. i just checked and we didn't start up the pond until the middle of April last year. Still had 2' of ice this time last year. Not this year. I think we are in for an early 'break up'. Only about 2" of ice. Snow may be here forever but the pond should thaw out by the end of the month or sooner.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2012
1:37 AM

Post #9038993

Mary

The uv lightbulbs are the only things we didn't buy at the end of year sales last year and precisely for the reason you have cited. We just ordered the bulbs and received them last Thursday.

Our start up is typically around now - I am still grateful for the mild winter though. I hope you can start up sooner than normal.

Has anybody heard from Joy? Wondering how much snow she has.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 12, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9039271

I am banking on an early thaw on the pond. May not be able to start it up completely, but can probably run a pump from the lower falls for greater circulation and oxygen intro. Sent a note to svkoi about their spring start up package. In particular I want the prazi to get a jump on any bad bugs or weakened fish susciptible to whatever may be floating in the pond.
pondlove
Lewes, DE

March 12, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9039355

I worked on my pond upgrade yesterday by disassembling the waterfall and laying out the new stream and the location of the Skippy filter. I moved about a pallet of flagstone by myself before my help arrived. I'm a little sore today but it's a good sore. Maybe I can drop a few pounds during this project!

I'm getting a load of topsoil tomorrow morning to build the stream. Whatever is leftover will go to filling in low spots in the yard. It was much cheaper to buy more then I needed.

The weather is going to be nice this week so I think I'll take off work on Friday and fire up the Oase pondvac. There is a ton of leaves and gunk in the bottom of the pond that needs to go before I start up the new Skippy.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 12, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9039672

Take pictures! We'd love to see the day to day progress!
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9043544

Start-up means a call to a contractor to clean it . . . ugh!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9043672

Start up wasn't bad. We put new uv lights into the pressure filters, connected everything up - threw in some microbelift and we seem to be off and running. The water is just now crystal clear. We will leave the vacuuming and waterlily fertilizing until after we get back from Boston -

It was warm enough to have dinner on the back deck with the fish on Tuesday. Yay! Can't believe it has ever been this early before.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 15, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9043768

So all the fish are out and about? No one is missing? How wonderful. And dinner on the deck!! Oh, I will savor the thought of SOMEONE having dinner on the deck.

We are thinking about getting 20-30 acres out in the 'valley' (Matanuska). Partly for privacy and mostly to have a large area to garden, both vegie and flowers, and of course a pond. I am about half hoping we find a slightly sloped place to work in a natural falls instead of having to haul in huge rock and dirt to make it from a yard flatter than a pancake. Don't know that we will actually do it. But this time we are actually involving our realtor so I guess that is a step closer to reality.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9043799

Yes, everyone is out and about and so far, they look good.

We want to move when I retire and buy up some acreage south. Of course we would put in another pond... -

Yes, dinner on the deck was so nice... I am looking forward to my morning coffee on the back deck with the fish this weekend. Can't wait!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 15, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #9043845

Good for you. Enjoy
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 15, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9044071

Oh goodness...the dream of property! I was raised on 100 acres in Ohio, with all the surrounding property owners having 100 plus acres. We had acres of veggies, maple trees we'd tap, cows and horses, etc...When I moved to a Florida subdivision with my husband, who is from Florida subdivisions, I think I was depressed for 5 years. I finally embraced what I could do with a small yard, hence my koi ponds, and plant tropicals and edibles. I still long for 5 acres, just enough for veggies and fruit. :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9044287

I would love to have at least 5 acres and I would like to have some of that land wooded.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 15, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9044291

I just found a ten acre parcel, all wooded (would have to punch a road into the building site - where ever you want to put it.) It is a nice square so the house could be smack in the middle. There is electricity but I think you would have to put in your own well and septic. Talk about off topic! lol
pondlove
Lewes, DE

March 16, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #9045021

I'm taking a break from four straight hours of pond cleaning: netting leaves and pond vac.

I put salt in the pond and am replacing the water I displaced. Once the sludge settles out, I'll start up the vac again. What a stinky mess. I feel like the Ralph Kramden of ponds today.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 16, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9045046

Hey, don't gripe. :) I would love to be doing what you are. Well, maybe not exactly what you are. Mine doesn't seem to get that yukky over winter. i think partly because I have few trees in the vicinity and we do a massive cleanup in the fall.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9045252

[quote="pondlove" I feel like the Ralph Kramden of ponds today.[/quote]

Love it! All I can think of is 'Chef of the Future'...

We have not vacuumed yet - still need to lift the waterlilies - divide and fertilize. We have trees as well. One of the trees is a Kwanzen Cherry - so when the blossoms fall from the tree, we have to stay right on top of things. It doesn't take the skimmer long to fill up.

We vacuum in both the spring and the fall - there is gook in both vacuumings that we take out...

I did check the water temps today and it is 58 degrees. Tomorrow morning, DH and I plan on having our coffee by the pond on the deck. It has never been this early in previous years!

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 16, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9045271

We also vacuum both fall and spring. Also do a little scrubbing on the rocks.I am trying to figure a way to put potted plants in the rather wide flat places in the three falls. I have seen pictures like the, with rocks to hold the pots steady. Also have seen pea gravel introduced to the wider parts of the falls again held by rock to plant pond plants in. I think it might work.
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

March 16, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9045378

Well girls Joy still has snow...another8" yesterday but it is melting fast. The next week is forcasting warm temps and sunshine.I have been out to inspect the pond only once.The path was very icey and I don't want to fall. I think there are more fish than I could see last fall.There must have been babies that grew over the very mild winter we had.I didn't feed them.The water is still very murkey and it's too soon for my helpers to come and clean it up.I celebrated my 83rd birthday on the second of the month...a dinner party of 14. I had a ball...it went on til after midnight...lots of food wine and laughter!!I'll get out and take a picture this week when the snow and ice make it easier walking.
I'm trying to germinate Lotus seeds.I had them in the oven with the light on...forgot and cooked the first batch but trying again with only i seed this time.I still have 2 in reserve!!Cheers JOY
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 16, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9045426

Happy birthday, Joy!! Your party sounds like a blast. What a good time. also sounds like you have bunches of local friends.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9045913

Joy

I have been thinking about you - wondering how you were. Happy belated birthday. You share the same birthday as my husband. So glad you had a good time. Spring is coming!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9045990

Hi All,
Not much time to write. Sick fish. Their meds. cost as much as mine. 3 large ones doing better.
swim bladder disorder on large ones, lost 6 small ones so far, they have cloudy eyes, red spots etc.
I WILL NEVER TAKE FISH TO A SHOW AGAIN. MY SON LOST ONE HE BOUGHT AT SHOW.
Cleaned out old pond thoroughly, put fish in with no bacteria, amonia levels too high, treating that now.
Learned lots of new mistakes.
More later. Got water perameters to check in all 3 ponds.
Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 17, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9046013

I am so sorry for your loss. You think they caught it at the show? And your son bought one that was already sick? If I had fish as lovely as yours I wouldn't take them anywhere where they could be exposed to anything. But I imagine you are very proud of them and would like to share that with others who love koi. Sort of a catch-22. Someday I would like to attend a show, maybe in the PNW. Maybe I can coordinate a flower nursery trip with one koi show to either Washington or Oregon. Wishes and wishes...
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

March 17, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9046138

You were asking about the snow here in Fredericton.I went out and took som pictures for you today.The snowpack has gone down over a foot.The flowers on my window show you how I try to read with winter.

Thumbnail by agedgardener   Thumbnail by agedgardener   Thumbnail by agedgardener   Thumbnail by agedgardener   Thumbnail by agedgardener
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9046464

Joy

So very pretty! I will tell you honestly, I did not miss the snow this past winter.

Bonnie - so sorry your fish are sick. The meds are pricey, aren't they?

Divided and fertizilied waterlilies today as well as did the spring vacuuming.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9046743

I'm working with the help of a fish biologist at Acquatic Eco. Systems. So far I think biggest ones are going to make it. So far lost 7 small ones.
Swim bladder infection in large ones. Small ones look like they have parasites, red spots, milky eyes,
rotted tails.
Took all the large rocks out of 2 ponds today and we found very small red worms plus a critter that looked like a brown flea with small feeler feet. Tomorrow I am pumping out those ponds as low as I can treat water for parasites any fungus that may be lurking. I have good bacteria and amonia lowering liquids on hand plus 2 40 pd. bags of salt and tomorrow morning before church I'll get either Formatline/malachite green or Proziquantel which ever is available the quickest.
I'm hoping for the best. Also have hospital tank set up. Will never transport fish all over again or bring home new fish without quaranteening them. Hard lesson learned and expensive.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9046794

Joy,
So glad you enjoyed your birthday with friends. I know that means a lot. Keep thinking spring when you can get outside and enjoy seeing your garden and fish.
HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY.

Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 18, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9047180

Bonnie,
The red worms are healthy creatures, and the fish nibble on them for protien bites...not a bad thing for your pond. I'll look to see if I have any more praziquantel and buzz it over to you if I do. I dose my pond as soon as the water temps get warmer, which was last month, so don't know how much is left.
I have plenty of potassium permaganate, but it will literally kill everything in your pond, including the good bacteria. It kills algae on rocks, fungus, bacteria, disease, etc...(and fish is you overdose it!)
I have fish for you when you start back up...and these guys have been quarantined their whole entire life! Do you have a smaller kiddy pool you can house your fish in while you deal with your pond? If so, I'd salt bathe the ones you have left, mostly to get a healthy slime coat put back on their skin to fight off whatever is now in your water.
Let me know what I can do to help...
I'm so sorry to hear this has happened to you...
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9050787

MM,
I've had a good education from all of this. We considered potassium permanganate but decided to use other meds less chancy. Salt they have. I'm sure you read on other thread last 2 ponds are all pumped out and sanintized and rinsed and rinsed.
The good bloodworms that fish enjoy I don't think I had as I looked up microscopic pictures of them & measured them.
So far have lost over 20 fish but better days are coming if I am consistent and stay on top of the regimen we have established.
If all die I'll just start all over again. Goldie & Blondie & Shamoo are still doing well. No more bladder problems evident. Last new fish from Sandy Acres still living also. A few others that were pretty I treated and added to that pond cause water perameters finally established on the good side. Not brag just keeping my fingers crossed and eyes peeled for any symptoms.
Will let you know when all is set up and tested, tested and tested again.
Look forward to seeing you again.
Bonnie

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 21, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9051155

Goodness...when pond problems hit, they never hit small, that's for sure! Hopefully things are well under way for you now, and you'll have a summer of enjoyment! I think taking the rocks out was probably the best idea. My red worm larvae is usually around 1/4 inch. They eat the muck and then turn in to midge flies. Leeches creap me out, and they sometimes come in with a new pond plant. I know they really don't do any damage, but still remind me of some old black and white movie with dangerous music playing in the background!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 21, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9051161

African Queen
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9051178

Those red worms were living on all the rocks. 2 more small ones dead this morning in their sick tank so I'm over it. I'm getting rid of the rest only 3 left and continue to treat tank with goldfish in it. I've had enough. IF the goldfish live which are about 7 or 8 inches will put them back into one of the ponds when I fill them up with water and get good bacteria going and tests are good.
Appreciate everyone caring .
Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 21, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9051271

Bonnie, I am so so sorry for your losses. You have worked so darned hard to provide a wonderful environment for them. It is so devastating to have one small thing change that. I also learned the hard way about quarantine. Trust no one where your fish are concerned. It's just that we get so excited to see our new fish in our own environment as we pictured them when we first saw them... And they look okay... I was lucky in that I only lost the fish I bought - expensive, but at least none of mine were affected.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 21, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9051417

OH Bonnie...I wish I wasn't working so many hours this month, I'd happily help you... :( My heart just hurts for you. I guess the fish were too damaged to be able to recover. If those ponds will be empty now, I can give you some potassium permaganate, which will kill EVERYTHING in a matter of hours, even things in nooks and crannies...and leave your pond sparkling clean. Then you can start out with fresh water and bacteria. Let me know... I think I have a few hours on Friday.
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

March 21, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9051845

With the hot weather we have had I decided to feed the fish.Fell on the last piece of ice in the yard.Spent today in the ER. No broken bones but a badly bruised pelvic bone.I can'tput any weight on my leftleg.Thank God for my family who are keeping me fed and assisting in getting me clothed.They are alsolooking after my very needy Siamese..Willow.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9051869

Bonnie

I am so sorry. How many total did you lose? Did you lose the new ones from the show? I am so sorry. I would let MM help you - she has so much knowledge.

Joy - how long before you are better? I am so sorry you slipped. Feel better and pet Willow for me.

Carolyn
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 21, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9051931

Oh Joy. It figures you would find the last possible piece of ice to step on. I wear ice cleats around here as we are in full break up mode so there is ice everywhere. I fell two or three years ago and hit so hard that it has scared me to walk on ice. I may not take off the cleats til June.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 21, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9052023

Joy,
Glad you have some help from your family. I remember what trying to walk on ice was like. Don't want to see it ever again. Take care and get well soon.

Carolyn,
I'm down to one sick tank. Lost about 30 small fish. Big ones are still going on in oldest pond which has all been cleaned out and restarted. Fish from show also died. At least I was able to brind my old ones back home and then treat them for swim bladder.
I'm still working with a fish biologist at Acquatic Eco. Systems and have bought all my meds etc. from them. Hoping the oldest pond will survive now. Have 5 fair size goldfish and 4 ugly koi in sick tank even tho goldfish have never acted sick so when other 2 ponds are refilled they will go into largest one (if they live). Bought good bacteria in small pre-measured packets and proper tape to mend hole we found in newer larger pond. Trying to cover all basis before refill. I'm not fretting over fish anymore. I'll do the best I can by them and thats it. For what I have spent so far I could buy a whole pond full of koi. Theres a limit to all things.
Maybe I'll look to some fancy goldfish when I refill both ponds. Mary has been so gracious and says she has more fish for me that have been in quaranteen their whole life. Sick tank now is always ready to set up between both ponds. Even biologist told me not to spend more than is practical cause sometimes new fish ends up being cheaper. This company does lake and pond restorations in Thirland and all over the world. There are about 30 some biologist working there and the warehouse is very large. They sponsored all the show tanks at koi show and had a beautiful booth there containing a built in acquarium with bautiful fish in it. Mary went on Sun. so I'm sure she saw it also.
Will keep on keeping on.
Bonnie
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9052249

Bonnie sorry to hear about your loss. I went through hell with my fish the first year and they all died but one. The lesson I learned is this and everyone should write it down and have this on hand.

PRO-FORM C with PRAZI (mix prazi in tiny amount of vodka to mix and then add to pro-form mixture. This is the one and only treatment that you should always have on hand no matter what. There is very little good information out there on how to treat fish and far and few vets who understand it as well. REMEMBER to wear gloves-toxic to humans and it also stains so don't mix/pour it on nice beautiful patio pavers and similar. I treat my fish with this every spring and nearly every fall. In two weeks my pond will be cleaned out and all fish go into the hospital tank and get three consecutive days of treatment like this will heavy aeration in tank. Water is changed out before next treatment. Last fall was the first time I did not treat them because of complications with weather and a unscheduled trip. Everything has been good with the fish with the exception of that very first year. Some of the fish had "sleeping sickness" over winter so I am sure something is ailing them but there isn't anything drastic or serious.

I do not use salt or anything else in my tank or pond. I do add beneficial bacteria but nothing else. I hardly take any water evaluations either. I do change the water out every 10 days or so by about 20-50%. But I am not so intense about playing around with the water and the fish are really thriving. If I buy a new fish I will put it into the hospital tank and add another fish from my pond to the tank as well (to cross expose the new fish to "germs" of the school as well as to keep it company). New fish and existing both get three consecutive days of treatment with heavy aeration. If I feel something is not right with new fish I will hold it longer in the tank and will wait a week and re-treat them again. This way I can control new infections and get the new fish onboard with the rest of the family.

So you can buy that gorgeous fish at the show just make sure you treat them "right". Holding a fish 5 weeks in a tank is hardly necessary when you can "clean them up in three days". One funny thing I want to mention is that my little dog who is forever playing in the stream caught "fish lice" on the tips of his ears. The vet said it was genetic and wanted me to treat with special medicines which I tried but did not work. I took a scrape and looked under the scope and recognised fish lice. I don't usually treat my pets for lice and bugs cause I don't get deer in the yard but now I use the typical stuff that you apply to their back of the neck area and this keeps the fish lice off his ears. A form of Prazi is in that stuff - so I am told. if you want more details and the contact person who steered me this way let me know. I am on vacation now but return in a 8 days.
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9052251

Bonnie: Carolyn and M. Merry both know me and helped me when I went through all my fish issues and can vouch for my understanding of koi fish illness. Before you treat your fish check to see if goldfish can use pro-form C - I don't have any and don't want to cause you problems.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 21, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9052258

I dosed my pond with Proform-C after treating with prazi last spring. Did initial then maintenance doses most of the summer. Everyone (fish wise - koi and goldies) were fine -- well, except for the new ones I got. Hopefully I still have two of the original 7. Will know in a few weeks.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2012
1:41 AM

Post #9052323

Linda - so good to hear from you. Dont' hear from you often enough. Have a great vacation.

MaryS. - let us know how your fish are doing. Should be soon I would think.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 22, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9052716

Yes. It's getting frustrating. The days are clear blue skies but the temp just doesn't seem to want to rise. It is usually 17F or so in the morning and hold there through around noon. the sensor is on the west side of the building in the shade so not really accurate. The rock around the north end is soaking up the sun and melting fast. Woody, dumb dog, is determinded to walk on the pond and his paw prints are darker than the surrounds indicating he is getting down to wet. Because it is darker the sun will act on those prints faster. Part of me wants to just jump in the middle (which believe me) would crash all the ice to bits. I weigh a good deal more than Woody who is 10#. Lots of algae growing around the deicers. Too much glare and reflection on the water parts to see inside the pond. Guess I could go back to going out after dark with a flashlight. lol. Good thing my growing plants and babies are distracting me or I would go nuts with the waiting. Well, nuttier.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9052857

I have to do something else so today I am fertilizing all my plants.
Only 1 sick tank left. When other ponds are refilled and water balanced I will put goldfish and 2 koi back in. Oldest pond seems to have leveled out and no large pretty fish dead in there. Once 2 newest ponds are taken care of fish returned I'm taking at least a 2 day leave of absence. Time to head to my friends ranch and just relax. Got 2 dump trucks of mulch to spread buti t can wait. I've had it.
Have a good weekend all.
Bonnie
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9055397

Did yard work at my church all day came home tired. Filled 2 ponds yesterday. Today one has leaked down almost to the bottom. Pumped the rest out after removing fish. Husb. found 1 inch long jagged cut probably from those rodks I used to have in there. Dried it good with hair dryer and put silicone and tmorrow will put another patch on it. That will make 3 patches so far.
Oh well it all has to get straightened out sometime. Can't say we don't try hard.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9055584

Better to find it now instead of after filling it, getting the water stabalized, and putting fish back in. I cleaned my filters this week, and topped the one little pond off with fresh water. Went to the store, came back and the neighbors cat snagged 3 of them out. Theyre very docile and hang out at the surface when they hear or see anything by the ponds. My cats could care less about them, but the neighbor adopted a stray and it's been wreaking havoc in my yard! All 3 of them were blues... blah...
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 24, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9055648

No way to inform the neighbor what those fish cost and to request reimbursement. That would seriously p--- me off. You know, it wouldn't improve relations, but a live trap for cats and trips to the pound where getting them back costs money might do the trick. Better their pocket than yours. And it isn't the money, it's the principal.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9055671

M Mary,
Did have pond filled and fish back in it. Oh well I've got good at pumping out ponds and netting out fish.
Charlie put new patch on. Sooner or later we'll get everything straight or buy a new liner.
Oberon,
I'm with you on putting up with cats. We have a cure I won't mention. My husb. loves cats and people used to drop them off in front the house and we got up to 14. I put a stop to that personally. My yard smelled worse than a ceptic tank. Our cows smell better.
M Mary,
At least inform your neighbor. If they are responsible folks they would offer to pay for the fish. Made me feel worse when you said they were blue. Our whole place is under fence and we keep our animals in and keep others out. Makes for good neighbor relations. I know that doesn't work with cats but when they start disappearing neighbors are more inclined to keep track of them. Remember when Apopka John got bit by one well I would have put a stop to that quickly plus made the owner pay medical expences. Thats going too far. His finger was swollen for a long time and he couldn't even use it. It all goes back to the same old thing. People who want pets need to realize the responsibility that goes with owning them.
Sorry M Mary.
Bonnie
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 24, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9055724

Amen Bonnie.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

March 24, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9055805

I actually bought a HaveAHeart trap. My kitties lounge by the ponds all day and don't even chase the squirrels that are right next to them. The neighbors adoptee grabs the fish (they're smaller 6 inchers) and dumps them on the deck to bake. Doesn't eat them, doesn't kill them, just catches them for fun and leaves them to bake in the sun. GRRRR...
Time to eliminate kitty from my yard!
This is a neighbor I've not gotten along with since she moved in. Therefore, I'm already admitting that I'm going to remove kitty under the radar on the down-low...
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 24, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9055812

Shhhhhhh. I'll never tell. Ask not -- tell not...
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

March 26, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9058151

Winter is back.I',m slowly getting better...still on heavy duty meds.It's not a good idea to take any chances on falling when you are 83.I hate to think what it woud be like if I'd had a fracture.Hope I can sleep tonight without being wakened by pain .It will be a week tomorrow since I fell.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 26, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9058167

Oh boy, Joy. You really must have hit hard. No broken bones? Probably just strained every muscle and ligament in your body. I am scared to death of falling for the same reason. Take care and take your meds.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9058172

I am afraid of falling too. You must have hit quite hard Joy. Take it easy and feel better.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 29, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9062393

Well, the pond ice is melting and yielding up its secrets. The kohaku 'surfaced' today -- I saw a corpse a few days ago but couldn't be sure who it was because I couldn't get it out. Today I got it and for sure identified it. Only one koi left to find from last summer's koi purchase and that is the gold one. I don't see how he could survive if none of the others did. In fairness two fairly large gold fish died also. I guess I will stick with Homer and Jester, my two mutt koi (assuming they have made it through as they have for several years now) and the gold fish I have left. They are growing and do enjoy them also. If the weather holds, the pond will be ice free in another week or so. But the falls have two feet of snow so we won't start the big pumps and filters yet.
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

March 30, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9063494

Saw the doctor today...recoveing from the injury is coming along fine ...but...now I have a purple puffer and antibiotics again.I have a blue and orange puffer too!! The ice is out of the pond but water is very murky.I called the Garden Gate fellows to come and clean it but they haven't arrived yet.We have had heavy wind storms and a lot of stuff got blown into the water.Nothing is blooming in the garden yet.I usually have crocus by now.I see that Cosco have bags of trillium in some of their stores.I've asked DIL to get some if the local store has them.JOY
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 30, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9063636

I would love to get some trillium but can't find them up here. Will make another search when the starts come in to Mill and Feed.
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 5, 2012
1:04 AM

Post #9070394

Well the fellows from GardenGate arrived yesterday. The pond is cleaned out and the little fountain running.I'll get a picture in the AM.I am still miserable ...my legs and feet are swollen and cramping plus the pain on my hip is still present. At the moment I'm relatively pain free.My son provides my breakfast and lunch.I cook my own dinner.He takes my dirty dishes over to his place and puts them through his DW.He brings them back and puts them away.I haven't needed to have a caregiver.I'll be glad when Spring really arrives and I can sit out in the garden.I've been trying to germinate Lotus seeds.They require a good deal of heat.I'll keep you posted. I usually put seeds in the oven with only the light for heat.This year I' successfully baked 3 seeds by turning on the real heat.There will be no oven It will take longer but no baked lotus!! Cheers JOY
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 6, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9071925

Here is the clean pond.It's never been up and running so early before.

Thumbnail by agedgardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9072317

Joy

It looks great!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9072602

And Joy, you will be up and running soon yourself. Spring will make you feel better.
Have a blessed Easter.

Bonnie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America