Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Start up!

Athens, PA

Yay! Start up is tomorrow. We are supposed to be in the 60's all week - starting with tomorrow.

I have noticed the fish moving around in the murky water during the last week or so - I am anxious to see them without the murk.

Athens, PA

It was a gorgeous day outside and start up went smoothly!

We are supposed to be the 60's all week! Yay! I am so excited.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

What a neat picture with the reflection in the pond. See what you mean about murky. I am so excited for you. Will enjoy watching as you get the pond all balanced out and on it's way to 'normal.'

Athens, PA

We always start out murky every Spring. It doesn't take long to clear up the murk - new uv light bulbs went into the uv units and were also put in today.

It is so good to hear the waterfalls again!

DH is trying to get the UV in our pressure filter to work. We got a new one and it didn't work so we thought it might be the ballast. Got a new one. Put it in and no soap. Now I have to write to the vendor and try to explain why after all this time we are just mentioning the bits of sauder we noticed inside the lamp we got but thought it was okay. Pooh. that's okay. i just checked and we didn't start up the pond until the middle of April last year. Still had 2' of ice this time last year. Not this year. I think we are in for an early 'break up'. Only about 2" of ice. Snow may be here forever but the pond should thaw out by the end of the month or sooner.

Athens, PA

Mary

The uv lightbulbs are the only things we didn't buy at the end of year sales last year and precisely for the reason you have cited. We just ordered the bulbs and received them last Thursday.

Our start up is typically around now - I am still grateful for the mild winter though. I hope you can start up sooner than normal.

Has anybody heard from Joy? Wondering how much snow she has.

I am banking on an early thaw on the pond. May not be able to start it up completely, but can probably run a pump from the lower falls for greater circulation and oxygen intro. Sent a note to svkoi about their spring start up package. In particular I want the prazi to get a jump on any bad bugs or weakened fish susciptible to whatever may be floating in the pond.

Lewes, DE

I worked on my pond upgrade yesterday by disassembling the waterfall and laying out the new stream and the location of the Skippy filter. I moved about a pallet of flagstone by myself before my help arrived. I'm a little sore today but it's a good sore. Maybe I can drop a few pounds during this project!

I'm getting a load of topsoil tomorrow morning to build the stream. Whatever is leftover will go to filling in low spots in the yard. It was much cheaper to buy more then I needed.

The weather is going to be nice this week so I think I'll take off work on Friday and fire up the Oase pondvac. There is a ton of leaves and gunk in the bottom of the pond that needs to go before I start up the new Skippy.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Take pictures! We'd love to see the day to day progress!

Deer Park, IL(Zone 5b)

Start-up means a call to a contractor to clean it . . . ugh!

Athens, PA

Start up wasn't bad. We put new uv lights into the pressure filters, connected everything up - threw in some microbelift and we seem to be off and running. The water is just now crystal clear. We will leave the vacuuming and waterlily fertilizing until after we get back from Boston -

It was warm enough to have dinner on the back deck with the fish on Tuesday. Yay! Can't believe it has ever been this early before.

So all the fish are out and about? No one is missing? How wonderful. And dinner on the deck!! Oh, I will savor the thought of SOMEONE having dinner on the deck.

We are thinking about getting 20-30 acres out in the 'valley' (Matanuska). Partly for privacy and mostly to have a large area to garden, both vegie and flowers, and of course a pond. I am about half hoping we find a slightly sloped place to work in a natural falls instead of having to haul in huge rock and dirt to make it from a yard flatter than a pancake. Don't know that we will actually do it. But this time we are actually involving our realtor so I guess that is a step closer to reality.

Athens, PA

Yes, everyone is out and about and so far, they look good.

We want to move when I retire and buy up some acreage south. Of course we would put in another pond..... -

Yes, dinner on the deck was so nice...... I am looking forward to my morning coffee on the back deck with the fish this weekend. Can't wait!

Good for you. Enjoy

Oh goodness....the dream of property! I was raised on 100 acres in Ohio, with all the surrounding property owners having 100 plus acres. We had acres of veggies, maple trees we'd tap, cows and horses, etc....When I moved to a Florida subdivision with my husband, who is from Florida subdivisions, I think I was depressed for 5 years. I finally embraced what I could do with a small yard, hence my koi ponds, and plant tropicals and edibles. I still long for 5 acres, just enough for veggies and fruit. :)

Athens, PA

I would love to have at least 5 acres and I would like to have some of that land wooded.

I just found a ten acre parcel, all wooded (would have to punch a road into the building site - where ever you want to put it.) It is a nice square so the house could be smack in the middle. There is electricity but I think you would have to put in your own well and septic. Talk about off topic! lol

Lewes, DE

I'm taking a break from four straight hours of pond cleaning: netting leaves and pond vac.

I put salt in the pond and am replacing the water I displaced. Once the sludge settles out, I'll start up the vac again. What a stinky mess. I feel like the Ralph Kramden of ponds today.

Hey, don't gripe. :) I would love to be doing what you are. Well, maybe not exactly what you are. Mine doesn't seem to get that yukky over winter. i think partly because I have few trees in the vicinity and we do a massive cleanup in the fall.

Athens, PA

[quote="pondlove" I feel like the Ralph Kramden of ponds today.[/quote]

Love it! All I can think of is 'Chef of the Future'......

We have not vacuumed yet - still need to lift the waterlilies - divide and fertilize. We have trees as well. One of the trees is a Kwanzen Cherry - so when the blossoms fall from the tree, we have to stay right on top of things. It doesn't take the skimmer long to fill up.

We vacuum in both the spring and the fall - there is gook in both vacuumings that we take out....

I did check the water temps today and it is 58 degrees. Tomorrow morning, DH and I plan on having our coffee by the pond on the deck. It has never been this early in previous years!

We also vacuum both fall and spring. Also do a little scrubbing on the rocks.I am trying to figure a way to put potted plants in the rather wide flat places in the three falls. I have seen pictures like the, with rocks to hold the pots steady. Also have seen pea gravel introduced to the wider parts of the falls again held by rock to plant pond plants in. I think it might work.

Fredericton N B, Canada(Zone 4a)

Well girls Joy still has snow....another8" yesterday but it is melting fast. The next week is forcasting warm temps and sunshine.I have been out to inspect the pond only once.The path was very icey and I don't want to fall. I think there are more fish than I could see last fall.There must have been babies that grew over the very mild winter we had.I didn't feed them.The water is still very murkey and it's too soon for my helpers to come and clean it up.I celebrated my 83rd birthday on the second of the month....a dinner party of 14. I had a ball...it went on til after midnight...lots of food wine and laughter!!I'll get out and take a picture this week when the snow and ice make it easier walking.
I'm trying to germinate Lotus seeds.I had them in the oven with the light on....forgot and cooked the first batch but trying again with only i seed this time.I still have 2 in reserve!!Cheers JOY

Happy birthday, Joy!! Your party sounds like a blast. What a good time. also sounds like you have bunches of local friends.

Athens, PA

Joy

I have been thinking about you - wondering how you were. Happy belated birthday. You share the same birthday as my husband. So glad you had a good time. Spring is coming!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi All,
Not much time to write. Sick fish. Their meds. cost as much as mine. 3 large ones doing better.
swim bladder disorder on large ones, lost 6 small ones so far, they have cloudy eyes, red spots etc.
I WILL NEVER TAKE FISH TO A SHOW AGAIN. MY SON LOST ONE HE BOUGHT AT SHOW.
Cleaned out old pond thoroughly, put fish in with no bacteria, amonia levels too high, treating that now.
Learned lots of new mistakes.
More later. Got water perameters to check in all 3 ponds.
Bonnie

I am so sorry for your loss. You think they caught it at the show? And your son bought one that was already sick? If I had fish as lovely as yours I wouldn't take them anywhere where they could be exposed to anything. But I imagine you are very proud of them and would like to share that with others who love koi. Sort of a catch-22. Someday I would like to attend a show, maybe in the PNW. Maybe I can coordinate a flower nursery trip with one koi show to either Washington or Oregon. Wishes and wishes...

You were asking about the snow here in Fredericton.I went out and took som pictures for you today.The snowpack has gone down over a foot.The flowers on my window show you how I try to read with winter.

Thumbnail by agedgardener Thumbnail by agedgardener Thumbnail by agedgardener Thumbnail by agedgardener Thumbnail by agedgardener
Athens, PA

Joy

So very pretty! I will tell you honestly, I did not miss the snow this past winter.

Bonnie - so sorry your fish are sick. The meds are pricey, aren't they?

Divided and fertizilied waterlilies today as well as did the spring vacuuming.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm working with the help of a fish biologist at Acquatic Eco. Systems. So far I think biggest ones are going to make it. So far lost 7 small ones.
Swim bladder infection in large ones. Small ones look like they have parasites, red spots, milky eyes,
rotted tails.
Took all the large rocks out of 2 ponds today and we found very small red worms plus a critter that looked like a brown flea with small feeler feet. Tomorrow I am pumping out those ponds as low as I can treat water for parasites any fungus that may be lurking. I have good bacteria and amonia lowering liquids on hand plus 2 40 pd. bags of salt and tomorrow morning before church I'll get either Formatline/malachite green or Proziquantel which ever is available the quickest.
I'm hoping for the best. Also have hospital tank set up. Will never transport fish all over again or bring home new fish without quaranteening them. Hard lesson learned and expensive.
Bonnie

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Joy,
So glad you enjoyed your birthday with friends. I know that means a lot. Keep thinking spring when you can get outside and enjoy seeing your garden and fish.
HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY.

Bonnie

Bonnie,
The red worms are healthy creatures, and the fish nibble on them for protien bites...not a bad thing for your pond. I'll look to see if I have any more praziquantel and buzz it over to you if I do. I dose my pond as soon as the water temps get warmer, which was last month, so don't know how much is left.
I have plenty of potassium permaganate, but it will literally kill everything in your pond, including the good bacteria. It kills algae on rocks, fungus, bacteria, disease, etc....(and fish is you overdose it!)
I have fish for you when you start back up...and these guys have been quarantined their whole entire life! Do you have a smaller kiddy pool you can house your fish in while you deal with your pond? If so, I'd salt bathe the ones you have left, mostly to get a healthy slime coat put back on their skin to fight off whatever is now in your water.
Let me know what I can do to help....
I'm so sorry to hear this has happened to you...

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

MM,
I've had a good education from all of this. We considered potassium permanganate but decided to use other meds less chancy. Salt they have. I'm sure you read on other thread last 2 ponds are all pumped out and sanintized and rinsed and rinsed.
The good bloodworms that fish enjoy I don't think I had as I looked up microscopic pictures of them & measured them.
So far have lost over 20 fish but better days are coming if I am consistent and stay on top of the regimen we have established.
If all die I'll just start all over again. Goldie & Blondie & Shamoo are still doing well. No more bladder problems evident. Last new fish from Sandy Acres still living also. A few others that were pretty I treated and added to that pond cause water perameters finally established on the good side. Not brag just keeping my fingers crossed and eyes peeled for any symptoms.
Will let you know when all is set up and tested, tested and tested again.
Look forward to seeing you again.
Bonnie

Goodness....when pond problems hit, they never hit small, that's for sure! Hopefully things are well under way for you now, and you'll have a summer of enjoyment! I think taking the rocks out was probably the best idea. My red worm larvae is usually around 1/4 inch. They eat the muck and then turn in to midge flies. Leeches creap me out, and they sometimes come in with a new pond plant. I know they really don't do any damage, but still remind me of some old black and white movie with dangerous music playing in the background!

African Queen

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Those red worms were living on all the rocks. 2 more small ones dead this morning in their sick tank so I'm over it. I'm getting rid of the rest only 3 left and continue to treat tank with goldfish in it. I've had enough. IF the goldfish live which are about 7 or 8 inches will put them back into one of the ponds when I fill them up with water and get good bacteria going and tests are good.
Appreciate everyone caring .
Bonnie

Bonnie, I am so so sorry for your losses. You have worked so darned hard to provide a wonderful environment for them. It is so devastating to have one small thing change that. I also learned the hard way about quarantine. Trust no one where your fish are concerned. It's just that we get so excited to see our new fish in our own environment as we pictured them when we first saw them... And they look okay... I was lucky in that I only lost the fish I bought - expensive, but at least none of mine were affected.

OH Bonnie.......I wish I wasn't working so many hours this month, I'd happily help you... :( My heart just hurts for you. I guess the fish were too damaged to be able to recover. If those ponds will be empty now, I can give you some potassium permaganate, which will kill EVERYTHING in a matter of hours, even things in nooks and crannies....and leave your pond sparkling clean. Then you can start out with fresh water and bacteria. Let me know... I think I have a few hours on Friday.

With the hot weather we have had I decided to feed the fish.Fell on the last piece of ice in the yard.Spent today in the ER. No broken bones but a badly bruised pelvic bone.I can'tput any weight on my leftleg.Thank God for my family who are keeping me fed and assisting in getting me clothed.They are alsolooking after my very needy Siamese..Willow.

Athens, PA

Bonnie

I am so sorry. How many total did you lose? Did you lose the new ones from the show? I am so sorry. I would let MM help you - she has so much knowledge.

Joy - how long before you are better? I am so sorry you slipped. Feel better and pet Willow for me.

Carolyn

Oh Joy. It figures you would find the last possible piece of ice to step on. I wear ice cleats around here as we are in full break up mode so there is ice everywhere. I fell two or three years ago and hit so hard that it has scared me to walk on ice. I may not take off the cleats til June.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.