-
AuthorContent
sm4657
Marshalltown, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9036897

I have never grown roses before, and being a real flower newbie (and I mean a newbie!), I planted 2 Knock Outs...disease resistant right? Well, they were in full sun, planted correctly (I really researched that), and watered well. They kept blooming all summer, and then I noticed some black spot starting. I sprayed every week with a fungus spray for roses (it said it would take care of black spot on roses)...then fall came, and I didn't cut anything back, but being in zone 5, I did cover them with pine needles.

We have had practically no snow or rain all winter, and my rose canes were covered with black spots!!

I admit to being disgusted as I babied them all last year...I decided to cut them back this spring, and cut them down to about 1 foot...and carefully disposed of the cuts...

I figured if they die, they die...

Would the carefree have been a better choice for a newbie? I did plant a John Davis beside my trellis last year, and while it did not bloom, it seemed to grow well...

I just am not impressed with the Knock Outs...Me, or the rose??
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 10, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9037097

I have a lot of roses - mostly old garden roses - but I also have some Knockouts. Mine also get black spot, but I ignore it and they don't die, they just look bad. If you have space for it, why not just leave it alone for a year and see how it does? (I am obviously a rather laissez-faire gardener.)
sm4657
Marshalltown, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #9037992

That is interesting about your Knock outs getting black spot too...

I thought they would be much more resistant than normal...I will let know how they turn out this spring...darn thlings!
sm4657
Marshalltown, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9048594

UPDATE:

We are having an unusually warm March...in the 80's...I was checking on the roses I whacked down, and they have shoots all over the bush! They look very healthy...the stems do have a few black spots...

Should I start spraying them with a fungicide for black spot now???
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9048633

I use sulphur for that in the spring, but the temperature must be below 80 to avoid burning the foliage. I find preventing black spot is easier than curing it.

And do make sure that you dispose of any old blackspotted leaves on the ground or plant, or the the condition will come right back!
sm4657
Marshalltown, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9048674

Thanks Donna...I will try that...I'ts supposed to be in the 70's this week and next.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9048769

Safer makes a good one. It's organic, and effective. I've used it for years.

Do buy the concentrate if you can find it - I find it in hardware stores. You mix it with water and spray it, and it's very economical.
sm4657
Marshalltown, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9050018

Thank you, Donna...I will see if I can find it here...
PeteB7
Trumbull, CT
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9222303

The "Home Run" Roses are supposed to be resistant to black spot:
http://www.provenwinners.com/plants/rosa/home-run-landscape-rose-rosa

Has anyone tried them? I just ordered 2 and will see how it goes, I'm
hoping to just plant, fertilize and put them on our drip system.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 29, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9222434

I have Home Run. Mine does seem fairly resistant to disease. It blooms a better red than Knock Out and more continuously, but I don't find it to be a particularly attractive plant and I feel it does need to be dead headed as otherwise it is cluttered with ugly spent flower nubs.
PeteB7
Trumbull, CT
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9222551

Do you find it to be less attractive than the Knock Out? I prefer the better color for sure.
I'm new to this but aren't these types more of a landscape scrub type in contrast to the best looking?

I do plan to prune mine the first few years to get them better shaped.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2012 3:14 PM
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9222555

I take all "resistant to disease" promises with a huge grain of salt. Disease resistant where? In large cities you rarely see blackspot because there is so much sulphur in the air. It has nothing to do with the rose. I like to go to Botanic gardens and nurseries in August and look at their roses. I remember that Glamis Castle, at that time of year, was perfect, although David Austin had disavowed it because of disease. It's perfect in my yard. The same was true of Heritage. So I bought them both. I had gone there to acquire Evelyn, but changed my mind. Evelyn, which is very popular, was not only a little runt, but covered with blackspot and incredibly ugly. David Austin says that it is "not the most vigorous" and focuses on the scent of the flowers. And from comments I've read, it needs cold winters to bloom well and is stingy with its flowers.

I noticed that Chicago Botanic Garden, in particular, does not bother to deadhead roses, or give them any pampering. I remember very clearly that The Dark Lady, Benjamin Britten and Stanwell Perpetual managed to rebloom, which most of the roses had not. They also looked sensational.

If you can, and I realize that it is not always feasible, "visit" roses and have a look at them in August. I found it very educational. I do that and look at Joel's recommended roses on the Pickering website:

http://www.pickeringnurseries.com/web_store_fav.cgi?&rooted=j

Or his list of disease resistent roses:

http://www.pickeringnurseries.com/web_store_disease.cgi?&wholesale=vdr

I've used these lists on several occasions, and he has never let me down.

Donna

porkpal
Richmond, TX

July 29, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9222707

I think Home Run is a more attractive rose than Knock Out: better color, denser bush, many more blooms.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 18 May 26, 2010 10:56 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America