Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Flowers: Pumpkin on a stick

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 2, Views: 32
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
milesdt
Pulaski, GA

March 10, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9037478

Has anyone planted pumpkin-on-a-stick? I had two plants last summer, started from seed. In the fall, before the first frost, I cut off the stems with the bright orange fruits and brought them inside and put them in vases with no water. I had understood that they would dry out and could be used indefinitely in dried arrangements. All of the fruits shriveled up and looked awful, so I threw them out. What did I do wrong?
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9042688

I don't know anything about pumpkin-on-a-stick but I don't dry my flowers upright. I always cut them just after they bloom, cut them fresh, then hang them from a hangar in a cool, dark closet for about three weeks to a month. If I left them out, the light and warm temps would destroy the flower and color. Could that be your problem with your pumpkin-on-a-stick?
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

March 16, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9045186

I cant talk for your Pumpkin flowers as we don't grow those here but, any other flowers I want to dry AND keep their colour I cut as the flowers are almost opening, then hang them upside down in a coolish area that is ventilated so my kitchen is good as it gets a slight warmth from stove, air from doors windows being opened but never over hot, this method is used for many perennial plants and lavender is as easy as pie but looses it's colour if dried flower spike up, others do the same
I know there are jells, sands and salts for this very purpose but would imagine you would need to go to the flower arrangement /drying flower forums for positive help.
Hope you get it right this time Miles as there is nothing more exciting than learning some new past time. good luck, WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America