Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Collard greens

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 3, Views: 31
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GreeneLady
Oak Island, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9038562

This is going to sound weird, but I swear it's true. Did you know that collard green stumps that are planted in the ground will take root and produce more leaves? By the stump I mean the main core/stalk that all the leaves grow off of. I figured this out when I went out to my compost pile and noticed that the stump or main stem of a collard plant had started to root itself. I carefully dug it out and transplanted it into the garden. It didn't get bushy like a collard from seed might, but darned if it didn't regenerate enough leaves for me for a few suppers. It even produced flowers and seeds at the end of the season, and this spring I have hundreds of baby collard greens scattered through the garden and even into my lawn.

Now I'm wondering if lettuce and cabbage stumps will do the same thing. Will let you know how it turns out. Has anyone tried this before?
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9038604

Not worth the time and effort, but yes both cabbage and lettuce will regenerate in an effort to produce seeds. With cabbage, you get a handful of Brussells Sprout size heads.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9038681

GreeneLady
It did happen to me too with broccoli's stump in my compost pile
It started to grow again and also making flower shoots ... funny
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9038744

Just like every living thing it's main purpose is to get genes into the next generation. So they produce flowers.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America