Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Alaska Cruises

Hull,Ga, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi all,
Planning a cruise for this Sept 2012. Can anyone suggest a curise line they on? We are just starting to check them out. Thanks, Cathy

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

I'd suggest going on a mid-size ship and leaving from Vancouver BC. We left from Seattle - big mistake. Weather turned bad and we spent three days just sailing through heavy fog and rain, a huge bore....plus it cut short the planned port stops.

Go in EARLY September, mid-Sept at the latest. Weather has best chance of being good, but prepare for rain just in case.

We used Holland America on one of their smallest ships. Didn't like it at all and wouldn't recommend a small ship again. Experienced cruisers - including people who were HA Preferred members and others who had sailed on multiple cruise lines - all agreed this was absolutely the worst cruise any of them (and we) had ever been on, even setting the weather aside. The ship was poorly laid out and lacked such simple amenities as hot beverages on the promenade deck (not a small issue when the temp with wind chill was in the mid-40's).

Mid-sized ships seem to be the best bet. Cruise lines aim for specific market segments, so decide what it is you want out of Alaska/the ship, and pick a line that fits your wants. They all have ships of different sizes and they all go to the same ports at the same times.

This message was edited Mar 22, 2012 9:38 AM

(Mary) Poway, CA(Zone 10a)

I've gone on 3 - all with Royal Caribbean. One from Vancouver and 2 from Seattle. Love the inside passage part of it the best. They've all been good. It's always been August or early September.

New York, NY(Zone 6b)

Good afternoon all.
Hi Cathy, was wondering what was your decision regarding your trip for Sept. 2012?.
Went to Alaska in Sept 2004 for the first time. Royal Carribean's Radience of the Seas was the ship I was on. I am thinking of going back to Alaska next year in the fall 2013. Have unfinished business there now that I have a laptop and a digital camera, something I did not have before. Could not capture the memories properly with a small 35mm camera.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I've been trying to plan one since 2010, and we finally leave for vancouver on Thursday!!

we will be on Diamond Princess for 7 days, then 7 days in land Alaska.

check one off the bucket list.

New York, NY(Zone 6b)

Enjoy yourselves.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

We were on the Diamond Princess. It was one of the better cruises we were on, fantastic ship, not too big, not too small. never seemed crowded, except when we were in Glacier Bay and seemed everyone was on deck. [We eventually went back to our balcony cabin]

we also did the 7 day land tour.

knowing what I know now, I may have made a few changes in our tour, but it was great. Really unseasonably HOT up there. [upper 90's inland]

(Chris), IA(Zone 5a)

I was on Diamond Princess too!! Not at the same time though LOL.. we went the last 2 weeks of August - what amazing memories we have and can't wait to go back!

It was rainy some days and other days were beautiful - but we sure didn't let the rain stop us from enjoying it :)

Thumbnail by Dragonflys4me
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Out of 16 days we were gone, only 2 mornings with light rain... that was it. Mother Nature was very good to us.

Virginia Beach, VA

We are going Set 7 2014 with mid size HA. It will be 13 days sea and land tour from Vancouver. Will spend 7 days in Seattle post Alaska. this will be my first Aaska l tour.

Belle

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Belle -- you are doing a southbound? if so, good choice. We did north, and the land portion was exhausting. and if i remember HA's itinerary, it's a shorter cruise and longer land tour? at least those are the ones we looked at.

Enjoy your trip, it will be awesome.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.