Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Adventures in Urban Farming: The pleasure of home-grown veg!

Communities > Forums > Article: Adventures in Urban Farming
bookmark
Forum: Article: Adventures in Urban FarmingReplies: 0, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
binibusybee
Osgoode, ON
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9039123

I'm a veggie garden addict too - as well as a gardening addict 9 and a fellow Ontarian). I do a lot of produce processing in the fall and can relate to the "steamy windows" issue! Here are a few hints: don't bother steaming the veg. After doing it dutifully forever, I realized that frozen veg from the shops is NOt blanched and put my beans inthe frezzer raw for a change. They are better that way! And i 'cheat' on the processing time fro canned goods - my strawberry jam is highly sought after because I cook it to a minimum! It keeps its fruity flavour that way. I never do the water boilr thing but just put cooked goods staeming hot into hot sterile jars and there you go. As long as they form a vaccuum (and they do) everything is fine. Enjoy the next season! I can'y wait! Geat article, thanks. Sabine

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Adventures in Urban Farming Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
my vote treesmoocher 0 Mar 12, 2012 7:13 AM
my vote foragersmom 0 Mar 12, 2012 7:25 AM
my vote MsMuddyToes 0 Mar 12, 2012 7:41 AM
My Vote Careywood360 0 Mar 12, 2012 8:25 AM
Been there cybercrone 0 Mar 12, 2012 8:35 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America