Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Bird Watching: Birds Nesting & Activities in the Garden, vol. 7

Communities > Forums > Bird Watching
bookmark
Forum: Bird WatchingReplies: 153, Views: 856
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9039192

Spring is right around the corner for us here in the South. And breeding season is under way for birds in and around our garden. Some local birds authority has reported that Doves were seen with eggs as early as Feb. this year. From my observation as a newbie; Cardinals, House Finches are seen doing their mating ritual by bringing their partners food while foraging. Blue Birds are visiting potential nesting site on a regular basic. I saw two male Blues fighting/competing over a bird house this morning. The White-breasted Nuthatches are quite capable of holding their own. One is seen bringing food 'home' while the other probably sitting on eggs? The Mallards pair that chose our garden as a home of their own last year has landed on the site for the 1st time this season. (pic. included). Chickadees also settled for their own nest box. The Wrens? I'm not very positive that they've settled down. Will add more pics. of new development as spring is coming.

We came from here; http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1236115/

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9039245

Blue Bird coming to a chosen nest box.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9039581

Looks like spring is in "full bloom" there indeed! I got a kick out of two male cardinals fighting over a female today. She was not interested though, she just wanted to eat.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9039643

They're really amusing-- the cardinals' antics. I love them, for not only they're caring for their own, they seems to be looking out for others (juveniles and nests) in their teritory as well. Here I've a male Eastern Towhee just singing his heart out this morning.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2012
4:44 AM

Post #9040657

Nice Lily...our Towhee was singing yesterday also! Our Bluebird nestbox was busy yesterday so hoping for baby blues this year. We moved our Martin gourds to the new location and hoping for Martin babies too!!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9040688

Best of luck with yours Rose. I took a walk around our neighborhood yesterday. Kinda spying on the neighbors' birds activities. lol. I was more discouraged when I saw this HOSP perching right beneath what seems to be a BBs above? I don't think the "landlords" do anything to discourage the invaders. I have seen Startlings on top of that same bird house before. The top entrance hole. Is that an escape route? I've seen Starling entered the house via that entrance in year past, didn't know much about birds species then.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9040697

Once I've been reading up on how to safeguard Martins. I was wishing upon a star for some of these fancy gourd houses. They're quite expensive. But after seeing this ... I was none too happy. Kinda shattered my dream on hosting Martins. I think the HOSP successfully claimed this one community. Didn't see this until just now.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9040700

More Martins houses in the neighborhood.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9040715

Most every house surrounding us has BBs houses. And I can see BBs are very active near by. Also saw hummingbird's feeder-- from one of the neighbors are up. So, I am learning to adjust my expectation, and learn to accept the goods with the bad.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9040719

Back home, I can foresee the bird houses will be simply decorative to enhance the view of the yard. We (hubby and I) will have to take these down and plug the entrances eventually.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9040879

The good news is... Our Blues look very much at home;

Papa Blue is at the feeder, well on his way of "bringing home the bacon". lol

?Where is she???

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9040890

At the mean time, moma Blue was on the secondary feeder. ^_^

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9042107

well that's good, but I was hoping you would say that she was IN the house sitting on eggs

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9042228

Not quite yet, when the time is right. lol Marna, the couple appear to be very cozy. So hopefully that will ensue very soon. I haven't seen them carrying nesting material inside. But he patiently stands guard when she enters the nest box. Though, I haven seen it, but does that mean she's building now? I do see Papa goes in/out of the nest box as well.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9044664

Papa Blue bird stands guard for his mate;

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9044672

Not sure if he's bringing her food here????

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2012

Post #9044683

Papa Mallard came to the garden yesterday ... last year, not long after this similar situation, there soon after they were found nesting in one of my flower pots.

Second later Moma Mallard arrives;

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9048479

While the male cardinal singing has begun. I have at least one pair, saw the male feeding the female!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9048589

Here they come Marna! I've to admit this is the busiest time of year. Has got to be my fav. time of year. Alabama Ricky is seen here, awaiting for Lucy to join him.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9049528

It was a welcoming sight! Moma Blue is finally seen busy building her nest!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9049592

Oh how gorgeouse is that. Quite the beautiful bird and tree!!!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

March 20, 2012
12:29 AM

Post #9049695

Wow, Kim, that last shot is a cracker!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9051897

Thanks Marna and Margaret, those blooms belong to the dogwood. Margaret, do you have dogwood there where you are?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9051907

OT. Dogwood and Honeysuckles blooms;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9051914

OT. Dogwood and Kwansan Cherry blossoms.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9051925

Alabama Lucy ...

Alabama Ricky and Lucy ...

Guess Ricky went and fetch some goodies for Lucy. lol

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9051929

ooops, sorry for the duplicated pic. Here is the second photo.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9051941

Wow Kim...I love that last photo of the Blue with the dogwood...so very pretty.

Our Blues have been building a nest this week and are now completing construction by lining the bowl with fine grasses. Hopefully will have eggs soon and some sunshine too!

Beautiful blooms Kim...you are so ahead of us here in the Ozarks. Adorable little Chickadees!

Thumbnail by dellrose

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9051955

Rose, the weather down here is way ahead than most year. Seems as if all the trees leafed out over night. Love your Blue Bird. May I ask what are those strings on the nest box. Are those designed to deter pradators?
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

March 21, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9052014

Exciting times ahead, Rose.

Lovely little chickadees, Kim. I think some areas may have dogwood, but I don't recall ever seeing one around here and probably wouldn't know it if I did.
dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9052016

Hi Kim...Yes the strings are fishing line and are supposed to help keep the House Sparrows from hanging around the box. The theory is that since the House Sparrows have poor eyesight they won't see the strings when they land and hopefully scare them off. They didn't seem very effective last year but this year so far so good. Of course as soon as the first egg is laid I will attach the sparrow spooker and that has been very effective in the past.
dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 21, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9052019

Hi Margaret...We cross posted and yes exciting times ahead. When the eggs are laid and the first Hummer arrives I will be as happy as a clam!!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

March 21, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9052123

Are clams really happy?

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9052645

I just had a nuthatch come take some nesting material. But darn it, he flew south out of the yard with it. What's wrong with MY nest box. lol.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9053004

and here is the little devil. I tracked him to a tree two yards down, but did not see where he went in to a cavity. I did see one spot in the area. I'll have to investigate more.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9053259

Oh how sweet is that? I've never seen them carrying such soft material. What I have seen were; they bring in chunks of tree barks. lol. Ok my good friend be a detective, and please share with what you find.

Also, I uploaded, or rather I tried to upload 5 pics. earlier and typed a long response. DG rejected it. I must have been sensored or something. So I got discouraged, and logged off.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9053292

That's my dog's hair. I suspect it is the last "layer"!

But something is puzzling me. Doesn't this look like a male, because of the dark cap? Cornell says that the female builds the nest though. So… dunno.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9053299

I've a poster of various common birds...from Cornell I think. I still have problem telling the differences b/w the male/female with this Nuthatches. So ... dunno either. lol

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9056714

I assumed this is Papa bringing his mate food while she's incubating the eggs?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9058774

You live in a paradise!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9058854

Thanks, oh guess who just arrived? I am Looking forward to seeing the Mallards returning to their nesting site; my flower pot as they did last year.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9058873

quack!!!

Lucy and Ricky (IL) were nest building this weekend. This will be the fourth nesting, but I'm not hopeful for eggs unless one of them happens to NOT be Lucy or Ricky.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9058882

Congrats! Let's hope that indeed is the couple. And fingers crossed to see the future babies.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9058952

The sweetest experience one wanna have is seeing Moma Blue comes to feed, while Papa is guarding against the bully Mockers early in the morning hours.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9059151

Aw Kim...that last pic of the Blues is just adorable!! You are really seeing action with all your birds..looking forward to little ones soon.

Marna...I sure hope this couple lays some eggs this year. How disappointing this must be for them and you.

The Chickadees have built a nest in the box we put up in the upper tree line and the first Purple Martin showed up today on the gourd rack! Yippee!! The Blues have finished
nest building but no eggs yet. The House Sparrows are being a real pain so I hope that is not keeping them away.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9059165

There are action galore that's for sure Rose. I'm so ready to see babies, and more babies. I'm so blessed given all these opportunity to see beauty in nature as I would never have seen before... Marna, how is your detective work turn out thus far on your Titmouse' nesting activity and location? I saw mine, one of them just entered this nest box while I was outdoor gardening today. I'm beside myself, well that is a repeated "beside myself" moment since the first one was yesterday when I saw my first hummingbird on the honeysuckle vines. lol

This message was edited Mar 27, 2012 11:21 AM

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9059207

Oh my oh my!!! Now I saw the very same Titmouse bringing nesting materials-- what appear to be chunks of tree bark into the "house". Lighting at this hour won't allow for a good clear pix and my skill -- or lack there of -- photography. But one can see its image zooming back into the direction of the house.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9059211

The same bird (Titmouse) returning to the proximity where it collected tree bark, also checking out that funny human with the camera in her hands.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 27, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #9059288

Finally, I've got a not so good picture of the little darling peeking through the houses' entrance!!! I gave up being outdoor, for the bird was diving right at me. I think I was stressing it out. Picture was taken inside a dirty window. :((

Thumbnail by Lily_love

dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9059320

Aw...adorable!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9060134

Wow, look at all the families you are going to have. I have not completed my investigations, Kim. It is a nuthatch, not a titmouse. I think it is very likely that I will have cardinals in the sweet autumn clematis on the fence this year. I know it is the female that builds, but I have had a male very interested!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9060211

Yes Marna, things are heating up and sizzling. The concern of the day in the garden is predators. I saw a HOSP briefly in the garden this morning. It stopped by to check out the gourd houses, then flew near our Nuthatches' nest box. Squirrels too are such pests! Here is a photo of the Nuthatches couple on alert. Though, I don't know for sure it was aroused by the HOSP or the squirrel.

Look closely and see if you can differentiate the male from the female? By their antics, I gathered the top one is the male, and his mate's below?

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

March 28, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9060439

Sweet Nuthatch Lily!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9065429

Thanks Pelle, and all those who enjoy my birds as I do here. Good news! I believe the Nuthatches may have little mouths to feed? I saw the Moma brought home an earthworm into the nest this morning, then the Papa follows behind her with some smaller insect-like in his beak. I couldn't identify the two birds (Moma & Papa) by sight. But by sound ; I noticed that the Papa makes a nasally noise when he approaches the entrance then Moma will peek out to receive the meal. Whereas the Moma just quietly comes and goes with her tasks.

At present Moma and Papa are seen taking turn to bring home meals, so I assumed there are little ones awaiting inside? I'm so thrilled!

This message was edited Apr 1, 2012 10:19 AM

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9065444

Another good news. I am not certain one can see from the photo provided. But there is an indentation roughly 5-6" deep within this flower container -- made by my Mallards getting ready to start their family once again this Spring!!! This will be their second year having chosen this spot to raise their youngs. Who can ask for more? I'll have little babies -- everywhere I turn around the garden! What's joy!!!

Editted to add this link : http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8613044

Wow, if the Mallards begin their nest. It's way too early this Spring. Last year I didn't see the first egg laid until June 5th. Wow!

This message was edited Apr 1, 2012 11:01 AM

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9065896

At the meantime Alabama Ricky and Lucy are regularly seen at their hot-peppers home.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9065901

Few Canadian Geese have chosen to stay down here in the South to raise their young. I think this one has decided to call our area home for the time being.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9065908

The Redheaded Woodpecker in years past has nested nearby. Its home was taken down by storm, so I don't know where is their nest this year. However, it's a delight that these woodpeckers remembered to come for the meals here. Hope this spring they will bring their youngsters here to train them hunt for themselves when the little ones fledge, as they did in years past.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9066426

Well it's a hot spot at your place, Kim!!

I have not found the nuthatch nest yet, but I'm excited that I'll likely get to see the babies at the feeders. I had cardinals collecting old hydrangea flower twigs and flying to the spruce trees next door. That made be happy because I think it is a nice safe place.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9066507

Congrats on seeing your Cardinals gearing up for the nesting season, Marna. Those lovely birds will "steal" my cherry blossoms too. Not sure if they eat them or use them for nesting material? Though, I've seen Cedar Waxwing eating apple blossoms this spring. Speaking of nuthatches. Through the four seasons, I've seen many of them. But come winter when a pair settled down for roosting then proceed to nesting. Surprisingly I only see THAT one pair, and the rest of them have moved else where. In regard to Cardinals, so far because DH has thinned out our bamboos grove, (where the Cardinals chose to nest in years past) there is no nesting built. I think they maybe reluctant to build because of safety issues?

Also, the Wrens have returned to the garage and try to rebuilt there. I've been careful to keep the garage doors closed to deter them from a repeated drama that occurred last year...what's a heartache that was!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9066525

yah, the heartache of hosting, I know it all too well.

I should have said that the cardinals were taking the old dead blossoms off the hydrangea. They didn't want the dried flowers as much as the twigs to which they were attached. I should go out and cut a bunch off. This morning I saw her trying to rip off some plastic from a stray bag. She gave up and went for more twigs. I have to say that this is the first time I have seen the males assisting in material gathering. I'd love to be able to see what is going on there.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9066614

...[quote] ...first time I have seen the males assisting in material gathering. [/quote] We (you and I) need to team up gathering evidence that male birds too will contribute to nest-building task. And present the evidence to birds authority Nationwide. lol

First thing I've noticed this morning; my Mallard drake was patrolling in the vicinity of "the" nest. I went out to check the nesting container. The "indentation" within the pot look to be a little deeper? No egg yet.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9066626

Little bit later, his partner was joining him.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9067828

1st thing in the morning, Papa Mallard was seen by our pier.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9067832

Moma is still "at home" in this flower pot. As I walked closer to where she's. Her mate was calling out as if to alert her of my present.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2012

Post #9067837

I didn't want to frighten the couple, so I zoomed in with my little hand held Cannon's lens. And there she was! What's a joy!!! I've a feeling today is going to be a nice day. ^_^

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #9067841

Have a great day everyone.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

April 3, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9067861

Fantastic, Kim. They will bring you a lot of joy.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9068055

Wow Kim, your little mama is beautiful in the pot. What an honor to have your pretty blooms chosen for this nest.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9068401

Awww. little peepers!!!!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9068532

Margaret, yes they sure bring so much joy. Duc, I'm so pleased they're not fearful of me being close. And Marna, they are little peepers alright. One can't help but notice the Moma just blends in with the surrounding. And ... wooohoooo! She laid her first egg today! She carefully covered the precious "easter egg" with oak leaves that she must have gathered in the garden, look!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9068798

Ah, we've a wandering baby Dove. Found the babe in my flower pot in the front yard. Minutes later the parent Doves must have found it and lead the baby to safety.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9071377

awww
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9073305

Look what I found in my grandson's bird house today! I was wondering where the BB's went this year.

Thumbnail by BCH521

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9073507

How wonderful, congrats to you and yours Bruce. I've been busy and away from the garden. In the morning I had just enough time to feed my birds, then return home after dark. So no news to share. So everyone, it's your turn to shine. Let's see your birds in the garden.

These Purple Martins are nesting as well, though they're not in the garden, but they're in a nearby dam.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2012
4:33 AM

Post #9073771

Awww, I just now saw the Mallards couple flew in. So apparently they roosted somewhere nearby, then they came to the nesting area early in the morning! Happy Easter everyone.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9073772

Two morning ago, I discovered the baby dove was a full fledgling. It was seen again in the driveway. I shoooed it away from trafic line. It complied and flew up onto the roof. ^_^

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9073842

The Momma Mallard this morning. Happy Easter/Passover to each and everyone.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

April 8, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9073900

Happy Easter to you, too, Kim. Love that sweet mallard.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9074182

He's only been here for a few days and already is cleaning out last year's nest box.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9074710

Thanks Margaret, I checked on the Mallard's nest this evening, but she has covered her eggs so carefully, I can only see a couple of them. There should be 5 eggs by now. Bruce, please keep us posted on your BB's progress. Marna, your Wren sure has been busy. My Titmouse was in a frenzy bringing nesting materials that one day. Thereafter, I have not seen it returned to that bird house. I am not sure if something didn't work out for the bird?

But look who is exploring the grain feeder on the backyard this early morning? The baby Dove! Look!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2012

Post #9078087

Wooohooo! First White-breasted Nuthatch fledgling!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9078154

So adorable...congrats Kim!!
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9078859

beautiful shot of the nuthatch Kim!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9078956

Too cute.

I checked the chickadee box tonight and the nest is done. No eggs though.

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9079032

Enjoyed the postings and pictures! ( Especially love the photo of the White-breasted Nuthatch fledgling!)
I have four nesting birds at this time, One Bluebird nest ( In the nestbox) , One Robin nest ( In the Hollie) One Mockingbird nest in one rose bush and one Thrush Nest in the other rose bush, Got a photo of the babies in the Mockingbird nest, But didn't get a good picture of the Thrush on it's nest because it's more hidden, But, I did try.

First picture is of the rose bushes they are nesting in ( Both are knock-out rose bushes) ~Thrush in the bush on the left - Mockingbird in the bush on the right

Next photo is a picture of the Mockingbird babies

3rd photo is a shot I tried to get of the Thrush, Could have gotten a better shot, But, I don't want to get too close and scare her off.

Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9079033

Thanks Rose, Bruce and Marna. Marna, hopefully you'll see the dee's eggs soon. Ooh look, my Redheaded Woodpecker brought his mate back to the seeds/nuts feeder. Hopefully they'll bring their young to eat like they did in the past years where their nest was within the garden boundary.

I also checked on the Mallard's nest late this evening. Momma Mallard wasn't there but she covered her eggs with lots of her down-feather.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9079043

Oh Iris, how sweet! Thanks for sharing those lovely photos. You just reminded me, I've a Brown Thrasher's nest to the sideyard in the Japanese Cleyera bush. The B.T.'s nest looks very much like your Thrush's nest which was constructed primarily by twigs.

Here the B.T. is seen on the cherry tree which is next to the J. Cleyera shrub.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9079153

So neat Lily_love, Don't get the RHW here so always nice to be able to see them in shared photos here!! .. Like the BT too! I really like the thrashers, They are not very skiddish here at all and a joy to watch, They are always picking through the gardens! The mockingbird is very skiddish if I'm even mildly close to the nest, but, The thrasher is not. The mockingbird does try and mob any hawk that comes around though, Got a picture of her going after White Hawk the other day ( White Hawk is an albino hawk thats been around my area for at least 5 years now)
Thanks for posting your photos.
... I've been having quite a few new visitors this year, This is one of them, Would you happen to know what it is? ...

Thumbnail by IRIS

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2012
2:07 AM

Post #9079219

Wow, my best guess would be a Brown Headed Cowbird? But we need to enlist Marna and others' help here. Love, love that setting. Thank you Iris.
dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9079399

Iris and Lily you two really have it going on...nice shots all!!

Iris...that is a female Brown-headed Cowbird.
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9079731

Thanks Lily_love and dellrose!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9082658

Iris, you're quite welcome. Sorry I stayed away for some time. I'm now back and was proud to announce that I've found more baby birds. I saw the Brown Thrasher was with one of its fledglings foraging on the ground earlier during the day. At day's end. I couldn't believe my fortune; I get to see Momma/Papa with the fledling once more time: #1 the Brown Thrasher with baby. #2 Papa Mallard cruising the territory, while Mamma Mallard is sitting on eggs.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9083154

Momma Mallard in her "home". Boys! I assumed that she begun her incubation on the 12th of the month when I was away. So in roughly 4 weeks we'll see some ducklings. Having had the unusual warm winter this year. This family was initiated 3 months earlier than last year. Note how perfectly she blends into the environment. I worked very close to her this weekend potting up my containers garden. She quietly watched the gardener at work, and didn't seem to mind me one I- ole- da. ^_^

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9083286

HouseFinche fledgling being brought to the feeder; here daddy's (hidden on the other side of the feeder) feeding baby.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9084560

... And there are ten!!!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9084578

Meanwhile Alabama Ricky & Lucy are still seen at their own nest on a regular basic, so are the Blue Birds. The Nuthatches, however have vacated their nest the last few days.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9084585

Some of the Brown Thrashers are still actively building their own nest at present. Over the weekend, DH saw one with a big 'ole twig on its beak. I didn't have the camera then to capture the pix. This one was taken this morning after a pouring rain.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9084588

Those 10 eggs are a beautiful sight!!!!

I'm still envious of your tenants!

This girl was funny collecting coconut fiber. I did not see where she went though.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9084596

Last pix for this morning, one of the first Canadian Geese with goslings being seen locally. What's a joy!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9088017

Look what I just found! i've been away a couple of days, so not sure when they were born, but i think not too long ago.

Thumbnail by BCH521

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9088085

Awww! Marna that little gal is cute picking on the coco fiber. Is that a Starling? I've seen some birds picking on some of my hanging baskets outdoor. But I don't know who were the culprits. lol

Bruce, how sweet!!! Congratulations! Someone please pass the cigars. lol Just kidding. I too have baby blues. I've heard little chirping noises coming from the Blue Birds' nest. But I've one that I can't open to look inside. :((

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9088691

Congrats on the bluebirds!

That's a Grackle, Kim. I've seen blue jays and house sparrows stealing that fiber too.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9089295

Mamma and Papa BBs bringing home goodies! And I heard the babies chirping inside when I pass by the "home".

Thumbnail by Lily_love

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9089462

Lots been going on here!! Sorry I've been away, Been so busy and trying to get some photos inbetween doing normal work. How exciting to see all thats been going on !! Enjoyable photos too!! 10 eggs..wow!! congrats!!! and congrats to you too BCH521 on the new found family!!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9096972

Welcome back Iris, I learned of the news on your Mockingbird's nest mishap from the other thread. Nature is tough on those little ones! Yesterday, DH captured some pics. of the Canadian Geese with goslings that I first spotted (above). And geeze! The babies are growing really fast. And just now I saw another C.G. family with 6 new goslings passing by. I'll see if I can get some new pics. sometime today.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9096993

Yesterday I spotted a Cooper hawk by the BBs' nestbox. Geeze! Where were the crows when I needed 'em? For when the Crows are around, they keep the Hawks away from nestlings in the garden.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9097011

The Blue Birds pair usually come to fetch meallies in tandem in effort to keep others away from the feeder. Occassionally my Carolina Wren toughed- it- out for she/he has little Mouths to feed too. They're seen here sharing the protein-rich meals that they each carries home for their little babies.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 26, 2012
3:22 AM

Post #9098175

here they are at 7 days, and 3 made it out of five. it's been cold here, so i am happy, and it gives us a chance at a 3 brood year.

Thumbnail by BCH521

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2012

Post #9098298

Bruce, the 3 surviving chicks look good. Hope for best outcome and a successful 3- brood year. Mine brood perhaps getting close to fledgle anyday now? With that in mind. I try to offer mealies in an easy access feeder. Hope to see the parents bringing their fledglings here to feed;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9098360

Ofcourse, it didn't take very long before Moma Blue Bird finds the new feeder. :)

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9098601

At the meantime, my Mallards pair are doing well. I often see the drake hanging around the vincinity while his parter sits on eggs. I also noticed too she only leave the nest in mid-day when the temp. is warm. But just now I noticed for the first time when she returns to the nest.

With her beau escorted her back to the pier. Then she flew from where she was with him back into the nest. How sweet a sight! No action pix. I wished I was quick enough to capture such scene!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9101881

Mallard drake hanging by the nesting site, here he's seen after he escorted his mate back to the nest at day ends yesterday.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9101894

Carolina Wrens have chosen this nest box this year. Boys, these guys/gals are really noisy in the morning hours. I saw some eggs in the nest box!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9101899

Blue Birds babies are getting close to fledge ... it will be anyday now.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9101915

Carolina Wrens fledglings?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

April 28, 2012
10:04 PM

Post #9102038

It's all action where you are, isn't it, Kim? Wonderful events all round.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9102745

Thank you Margaret,

Spring is in full swing here. The birds especially are busy. These Brown Thrashers are seen showing their young foraging on the ground all around the garden. They're quite tame. Not like Northern Cardinal or Robins Grackles who took flight at first glance of human present.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9103190

Well, I will have to break the bad news. At first I must have been shocked, and in dennial ... when I didn't see Papa Blue Bird at the feeder fetching mealies for the chicks the first couple of days after I saw a Cooper Hawk near by the nest. Well, Papa Blue must have been taken by the Hawk. It has been since the 24th since I last seen Papa.

Moma Blue still faithfully coming/going to feed her babies. One brave single mother bird!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

April 29, 2012
10:26 PM

Post #9103382

Kim, I'm so dreadfully sorry about Papa Blue.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9104386

Thanks Margaret, I've been so blue to have learned of the sad consequences of nature law. After having been away for half of the day. I returned home to find out that the Blue chicks have successfully fledged. I brought out more mealies, and saw Momma Blue came for the mealies but flew past the nestbox onto the far end of neighboring yard. I heard lots of chirping, but could not find where the new fledglings were.

One comforting happening; I saw another male Blue Bird on the other side of the garden. What a beautiful sight that was!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9104486

That's terrible Kim, but I do bet you have another Male in no time, just like Dave. And good for you for helping mom with the food task.
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2012
3:14 AM

Post #9105022

[quote="Lily_love"]Well, I will have to break the bad news. At first I must have been shocked, and in dennial ... when I didn't see Papa Blue Bird at the feeder fetching mealies for the chicks the first couple of days after I saw a Cooper Hawk near by the nest. Well, Papa Blue must have been taken by the Hawk. It has been since the 24th since I last seen Papa.

Moma Blue still faithfully coming/going to feed her babies. One brave single mother bird![/quote]

Sorry about Papa--good news is that BB's are really good parents. We lost a male a couple years ago to a car, and the mom raised the brood herself. Then she got a new mate, and had another brood.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9105943

Thanks all for your words of encouragement and comforting thought. I do miss that beautiful Blue Bird in the garden...

Bruce, the Moma is quite capable indeed. Today while setting out mealies. I heard the chorus of the little ones that seem to be much closer... indeed they were! They were just above the feeder up high on the oak tree. All I have to do was follow the Moma's lead as she flew straight up onto the branches above, and not heading away toward the next door neighbors with her meals as she did yesterday.

The sky is quite high above, I couldn't locate the rest of the brood. Here is one fledgling awaiting for Mom coming to feed.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2012
1:45 AM

Post #9106689

So much been going on here! So sorry to hear about the male Bluebird Lily_love! Moma still did a good job with the little ones and it's nice to see they are feeding close by!
CH521, Happy to hear that at least 3 made it out of the 5!
Great pics everyone!

1st, 2cnd, And 3rd photo ~Momma Wren on her birdhouse ...

In 4th photo you can tell she's not to happy about her new visitors ...Especially the one in the 5th photo - Who keeps taking the sticks out of her nestbox!!

Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9106896

Thank you Iris for sharing those lovely pics. of the Wren, Doves and BB. I thought to myself, the BBs will win out at a long stretch. lol Very nice capture! Here is my Wren at the chosen nestbox to the backyard.

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9107075

Nice pics lilly-love and what a cute house for the wren!
I'm surprised that the wren is making it ok and happy that they are because the BB beats the tar out of them a lot! ( Did you see the wren in the doves photo?)
I thought I posted these last night, But, I don't know what happened to them and why it didn't post, But, Here goes again ...

1st ---Momma wren

2cnd--- Baby wants food

3rd--- Mom feeding baby

4th-- Baby wants more food

5th---Baby gets feed

Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS   Thumbnail by IRIS

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9110013

Congrats Iris on your Wrens family success. Those are adorable pics.! Ah yes, I did see the Wren peeking around the corner on that Doves' pair. lol I have seen one brood of mine traveling around the garden, especially around the meal worms feeder designated for the Blue Birds. Although, larger in size. My single BB Moma is very gentle. She doesn't run the babies wrens away from the mealies feeder -- imagine that! LOL.

I checked on that cute Wren's nestbox the other day, and found down that some predator has stolen their eggs. Drats!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9110075

1. Moma BB picking as many mealies as she can. 2. One of the fledglings awaiting for Mom up on the tree top.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9110088

Picture isn't very clear. But one can see Moma BB arrived, many littles ones were waiting. I cropped the pix several times to see the others huddling near awaiting for Moma.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9110471

Thanks Lilly-love. I got 4 baby wrens just playing away today, They are in the pots, The hanging baskets, The plants ...Everywhere!! So cute to watch!! It's great that the momma BB doesn't run the baby wrens off there, The female here doesn't either, But, The male BB is a whole nother story!! Awwww, So sad to hear that the eggs were stolen!! Hate when those kind of things happen!!
Great to see pics of the baby BB's in the trees! ( I can see it good in the second photo, Not bad!) I don't see the baby BBs from the last batch around here, I see the parents taken the mealies to a far off tree, But, Have not seen the babys around. The BBs sure like those mealie worms huh??! As I notice so do the wrens and cardinals!! It's funny that they take as much as they can at one time!! Mom and dad BB eat a few first and then they fill up and fly off, But only takes a few minutes for tthem to come back!! ... Heres Momma BB filling up ...

Thumbnail by IRIS

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9111872

Great pix of the Blues there Iris, and yes I love those baby Wrens. Nuthatches babies are playful too. I get to see them coming and going to the feeder in the front yard without their parental presence.

My BBs fledglings are still depending on Mom and have yet to come to the mealies feeder on their own.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9112543

Thanks LL! ~ It's great that you get to see the BB babies in the trees at least, It will be so neat when they finally come to the M-feeder for themselves!
It's a joy right now here at the suet feeder because the wren has four babys that are eating off it and the downy woodpecker has it's two babys feeding off it and they are all feeding at the same time pretty much and I have the hummingbird feeders about 10-12 ft away from the suet feeding station and they are visiting quite frequently too! I get to sit on the patio ( Which is about 20 ft away and have my coffee and watch all the action!!
Hope your fledglings come for the mealy worms soon and you are able to get some photos.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9112795

Iris, sounds like a great way to enjoy your cup of coffee. I am looking out for Dave's brood, his begun prior to mine, so hoping his will serve as a model. Once Dave's fledglings come to the feeder, that is when mine ought to follow suit?

For the last week, while I was out watching the BBs activities. I heard more babies chirping, but the chirping is coming out of the Titmouse's nest box. Finally I caught the Moma bringing food home. One thing I've noticed, Titmice didn't seem to care for meal worms. They by pass the mealies feeder, and hunt for something else to bring home to the babies;

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9115615

[quote="Lily_love"]Iris, sounds like a great way to enjoy your cup of coffee. I am looking out for Dave's brood, his begun prior to mine, so hoping his will serve as a model. Once Dave's fledglings come to the feeder, that is when mine ought to follow suit?

For the last week, while I was out watching the BBs activities. I heard more babies chirping, but the chirping is coming out of the Titmouse's nest box. Finally I caught the Moma bringing food home. One thing I've noticed, Titmice didn't seem to care for meal worms. They by pass the mealies feeder, and hunt for something else to bring home to the babies;[/quote]

I apparently have jumped into conclusion that Titmice didn't eat mealies. Well, I was wrong. The birds discovered the feeder after BBs and Wrens, even Cardinal came to invistigate the dishes. Today, they (Titmice) came to the feeder after the BBs and others have cleared out the goodies. So I've got the hint to provide more mealies!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9115643

On the upside, my Blue birds fledlings did arrive at the feeder as predicted, a day after Dave's BBs fledlings did so in Maryland. ^_^

Picture was taken yesterday.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
9:07 AM

Post #9115676

I've heard quite a chorus of little ones within this nestbox. So more mealies were provided to assist the busy parents coming/going feeding the hungry mouths!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9116148

Monday was a sad day for my little Mallard ducks nest. After a busy weekend with lot of boating activities in the area. Sunday evening came the Mallard female turned up missing. Just as I and DH set up a birdcam hoping to capture the newly hatched duckings fledge ... for it was estimated to be withing days?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9116150

On Sunday evening as the evening falls, and I didn't see the Mallard returning to her nest. I suspected the camera setting must have spooked her? So DH and I took the camera down...

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9116155

At day ends that very day, the drake returned to our pier, without his mate!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9116160

The following morning still the momma Mallard wasn't there, but look! Her Ten eggs all hatched but one!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9116172

I contacted Mrs. Ed and local co-op for helpful info. how to care for the ducklings ...

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9116192

I was further saddened when I transferred the chicks into the place of safety. 2 strongest ducklings in the brood jumped off into the water. I at that point knew I couldn't catch those that got loose!

One duckling was promptly turned up missing, the second one united with its parent for a brief period. And that was the last time I saw the little one.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9116197

By mid-day, I knew I couldn't provide adequate care for these little orphaned ducklings. I contacted the local Wildlife Refuge center and set up adoption process.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9116206

But, things all changed as I and DH were busy packing up to carry the little ones to our WildLife Refuge Center. Our next door neighbor's son and his young son who are avid nature lovers, who has been looking for Mallards ducklings to raise. So to make the long story short; the ducklings were lovingly adopted by my neighbors' son and his young children with the promiss that when the time come; when the young chicks are at the age where they can fend for themselves. They will be brought to our lake and release here. I'm forever so grateful of how the sad story turned up a blessing!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9116219

As for the Mallard drake, although he didn't recognize his baby. He brought two other drakes as the sight of busy people at the pier. Apparently he sensed imminent danger at the nesting site. They; the 3 Mallard drakes parked out here... and looking back to our pier where the nest is. The poor Mallard drake continued to show up the following morning, by mid-day, and evening as he has always done throughout this nesting season.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9116247

On the upside of nesting success. I spotted a new male Blue Bird arrived to chase off what would be an invader. 1. The unknown visiting bird was identified to be a HOSP. (Thanks Chillybean and Resin).
2. The new male BB arrives to announce; this nest is taken!
3. A good look at the new male Blue Bird;

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9117747

Yay, new dad!!!
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9118808

Enjoyed the photos lilly! So sad to hear about the mallard female and the two ducklings, And poor drake. .. And on the upside .. Glad there's a new dad BB!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9118869

Thanks Iris, and Marna. It's really sad. I missed those little ones and the sweet Momma duck. Yesterday was the 1st day I didn't notice the drake out in the area. I thought I was over with the mourning process...today he once again returned.

The T. Titmice nest seems really quiet today. I don't know if the chicks have fledged? I did see the parent Titmouse at the mealies feeder earlier during the day.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9118874

Hah, freudian's slip. I meant to say. ... It was over with the mourning process ...

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9119156

While setting out Blue Birds' treat for the evening. I noticed my Mallard drake still out there hoping to find his mate.

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9119312

Awww, It's so sad. Makes you feel bad for him.
On an upnote, Love that first photo!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #9126957

Thanks Iris, the poor Mallard drake is frequenting our area less and less. I spoke a bit too soon. I just spot it out there through the window. Yesterday, I saw two ducks flew in while I was driving. I was hoping to find a 'couple', but it turned out to be just 2 drakes. I also found two WBNHs inspecting this nestbox. DH got a ladder out and cleaned out the box. So hopefully the couple will come back and settle down soon. At the mean time, the chickadees are seen with their young out and about. The Blue bird moma is raising her 3 fledglings and shows no sign of readiness for the next clutch.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America