Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Computer Talk: First Mac...uh oh

Communities > Forums > Computer Talk
bookmark
Forum: Computer TalkReplies: 11, Views: 84
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 12, 2012
9:07 AM

Post #9039452

I decided since my last ancient (6 year old) Dell was struggling, it was time to get a new computer.. wife has been raving about Macs for years, and now my step son, a computer whiz (but unfortunately far away) also has been impressed with Macs photo software... so I got one since I am all about taking photos and sharing them... I don't care what anyone says, Macs are NOT easy! I am struggling and finding simple things like finding a download, or resizing a photo as an impossible task. Anyone know of a great source for learning this stuff? Anyone one here resize photos for any reason? Know how? iPhoto seems powerless to do something that simple. Also, I used to be able to 'right click a photo on davesgarden and it would ask where to save it to... 'right clicking a mac mouse is impossible (as far as I can tell) so I can no longer manipulate these photos or save them to anyplace on my computer. I like the other things about this Mac so far... but have a lot of hurdles to overcome.
smileymom343
Kenmore, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9039502

My kids have a mac downstairs, it was a gift from their uncle. I remember when we first plugged it in, it went through a tutorial (which my kids promptly closed out because they knew how to use them).

Have you tried the support videos? http://support.apple.com/videos/

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9039883

that is one thing that keeps me from looking at them... while all mac users rave about macs... I just dont like change. and so far... i'm not wanting to learn something new.

One day I may bite the bullet and buy one for my son who is studying graphic arts and animation.
smileymom343
Kenmore, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9039886

My cousin is a graphic artist. She has used nothing but macs for years, she said you can't beat the graphics programs.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9039894

one thing with that is... the programs are Adobe, then same programs i have on my PC.

**sorry to get a bit OT

I do know there are a good handful of Mac users in here... hopefully they will pop in.
I know a gal that just loves'em -- i'll see if she has time.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9040387

I'm not a big fan of iPhoto--it's better for viewing pics, turning them into cards/calendars/etc and not as good for editing. So I'd suggest getting Photoshop Elements or something along those lines for editing.

Do you have a desktop or a laptop? With a laptop, tapping with two fingers instead of 1 on the touchpad is the equivalent of right click on a PC. Not sure what it is if you have a desktop with a mouse though.
cocoa_lulu
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9041057

I do editing in Iphoto. When I'm done, go to 'file' ...then 'export'. A widow then pops up asking what size I want to save the photo. You can click multiple photos and save and size them all at the same time.

I'm not not very good with computers, but have only used Macs, so I hope this helps and doesn't make it more confusing.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 13, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #9041087

I found that same suggestion in a youtube video... works! Thanks!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9047800

I have had a mac laptop since mid 2009 (that is how they term it) I won't live long enough to learn how to use all the things that a mac will do. iPhoto is a mystery to me. Haven't been able to upload a photo to DG since I got this marvelous machine. Recently purchased Ipad2 and Iphone4S. Wow what a challenge. All Apple products have videos, and one-to-one tutorials. I really need to go to the store and see the people at the Genius Bar. As smart as you are, Bob, won't take long for you to catch on. Just for a comment...would not go back to Windows for all the tea in China.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9047898

I cannot figure out how to upload pics from iPhoto either, but I back up all my photos from iPhoto, after I name them, to my external hard drive and it's easy to do from there, so it has not been much of an issue.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 18, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9048064

You can't upload things directly from iPhoto, but if you want to upload pics that are living in iPhoto, the trick is to figure out what folder they're actually in on your computer. To do that, go into iPhoto and find the picture you want to upload. Right click (on a Mac laptop two finger click) on it, and choose "show file". This will open up a Finder window that shows your picture. Right click/two finger click again, and choose "get info". A window will pop up with a bunch of info, look in the general section where it says "where", this will give you the full path to where the pic is stored.

This is why I copy my pictures from my camera into a folder that I choose, that way I always know where they are rather than relying on the complicated path to where iPhoto saves them.
chuckdee
Corinth, TX

March 19, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9048686

Bob,
Stick with it. You'll have far less issues with a mac then you will with a PC. The OS is so much more friendly and stable.
Your downloads should go into your download folder. Once you learn to navigate around, you'll be happy you made the switch.
If you're looking for answers, i would recommend simply typing your question into a google search and you'll more than likely find someone who's had or having the same issue.
Good luck!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America