Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kdm1000
Edelstein, IL

March 12, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9040107

The netting we put on the pond to keep the leaves out in the fall is still on our pond. There are no holes or damage in it. Recently we discovered all 30 plus of our gold fish are gone. The pond is as clear as bath water so we can see to the bottom. There is no sign of our fish or their remains. The pond and fish have been there for over 13 years and we have never had a problem before. What a mystery! It is like they dissapeared over night as there was no sign of the population going down a little of a time.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9040124

I am sure the concensus would be that you had a predator, a sneaky racoon perhaps, sneak under the net?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9040126

KD

That is odd - how long since you last saw your fish?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9040221

Sounds like someone human, wanted them.

One of the fellas on another thread bought fish 2 years in a row and they were stolen. He was sure it was someone human that did it.

With yours not damaging the netting I would say the same thing. A raccoon is not too concerned with any damage. Plus, they wash their food so they make a mess. I didn't have any place for them to wash the bird food here so they took the whole suet container. The night before they took a banana I gave them so they would leave the suet feeder alone and the next night they brought the banana peel back so I was hoping they would bring the feeder back but no such luck. It was a real good one too. That was when they took the feeder.

We started bring them in each night now.

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

March 12, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9040319

A snake could easily slither under the netting for the all you can eat buffet :(
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9041075

Do you have snakes like that in Illinois? I don't think our garter snakes would do that. I think they would be more apt to grab a vole. Land animals. Probably in some portions of Washington State would, I don't know. But not where I live.
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9043523

I live in Illinois and know of no snakes around me that could do this. I live in the upper NW corner or the state. Are you sure they aren't hiding ? Do you have rock ledges for them to hide under? If not, please give the new fish a koi castle or two. If you continue to lose fish put a little flour or similar around the edge of the pond to see footprints so you know what you are dealing with. I have fish netting around the edge of my pond that stops the cranes. My pond is deep enough to keep raccoons at bay plus I have a koi castle and lots of rock ledge overhangs. But none of that info helps you now. I'm really sorry about the loss of your fish. It's heartbreaking isn't it.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9043585

My fish, even the koi, have caves they hide in in the spring. I hold my breath til they all come out. Since you have had the fish for years I would think you would know if they had little hidey holes. I have no shade or growth on my pond at all in spring so they are very skiddish about coming out in the open. I put a floating ring in the center covered with black plastic. It casts a shadow that makes the fish think they are hidden. lol. Might even contribute a little heat to the pond from the sun. Hope they show up. Mother Mole that is a neat trick with the flour. I bet you love detective shows!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9043677

All I can think of is a small child that hides his eyes with his hands and says 'You can't see me!' and they believe they cannot be seen.

I was wondering if perhaps the fish were hiding as well. Otherwise, it just doesn't make sense that the pond was netted and all the fish are gone.

I too am very sorry for your loss.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9043762

Perfect description, Carolyn. I had a koi that had his head under a shelf but his body was out in the open. Describes him perfectly. Silly fish.
kdm1000
Edelstein, IL

March 16, 2012
9:28 PM

Post #9045684

I am trying this on my Idea Pad as-for some reason it won't send on my lap top. We have come to the conclusion that it may have been an otter as it would be the only thing we canthink of that could maybe slither from the stream under thenet to the debree basket, climb out into the pond and get back out that way. That was the only place there was a gap at all under the net. where the fish hang out in the winter there is no place they could hide as we pull all the pots etc out. The fish were all around 7"-10" long. We did see 2 1-1/2"to 2"long ones 2 days ago. They hide in the grill cover to the drain at that size. Our pond is over 3ft deep so we figured it wasn't a coon. As to theft, the fish were just gold fish that hatched out over the years from the feeder fish we put into keep the bugs etc out untill we got the water system put inand running 13 years ago. We had some koi for a few years but they died ofg and we did not replace them as they get to big to fast.thanks for all of your inputs.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9045917

Wow - otters. I never would have thought of them as a predator. Probably because we don't have them here. I always thought otters were so cute, but then bear cubs are cute too aren't they.
kdm1000
Edelstein, IL

March 17, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9046112

test
kdm1000
Edelstein, IL

March 17, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9046552

We had no idea there were otters here either until one was hit on the road near our house a few years ago. It is really strange as the nearest creek or pond in any direction is at least a little over a mile. The same year in the spring we had a beaver in our pond. Luckily he or she moved on as it had chopped a few limbs down on a bush at the top end of our stream and laid them in the stream. As far as the otters tho no one we have talked to seemed to have known they were here in central ILL either. hopefully this goes through. I have been having trouble on my lap top getting them to post. it hopefully is working now when I open DG on Google Crome but I used to always do it on Explorer. my Husbands Lap top still works that way but it tells me the page can not be found when I try to post here. I had not been on DG for months until I wrote about our lost fish.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9046613

KD - I was doing Google Chrome too - but ended up downloading Firefox and DG is so much quicker with Firefox.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #9046814

Don't know from what state but a man at the koi show said an otter killed 25 of his koi in one night.
We do have otters here but haven't seen one for years.
I know what its like now to loose fish. Only mine is from fish sicknesses.
I'm sorry you lost all your fish. Goldfish are less expensive than koi and seem easier to keep healthy.
Bonnie
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2012
10:26 PM

Post #9046886

Yes, but she had them for years and they sounded like they were pretty big. That is a real shame, I don't care what they were. What about opossums? Do they eat fish? People have said they have them in places I never would have thought.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2012
10:33 PM

Post #9046896

Jnette, I think we are the last of the 'hold outs' here at DG. those guys on the east coast are probably all tucked in snoring away as I shall be shortly.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2012
10:38 PM

Post #9046899

LOL Mary, I know we are. How does it feel being so late getting included in conversations? You are really behind everyone aren't you?

Haven't seen you much. Must be why. Hope to see more of you in the future. See you have been on DG for a long time. Meant to add about others, Gosh on some of the threads there are still people in Texas on here answering my posts. LOL, don't know how they do it.

Nite.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9047222

I conked out just after this. I actually post a fair amount on a few threads: Water Gardens, Winter Sowing, Poppies, Lilies, Peonies. And soon Dahlias again. Sometimes I feel like a blabbermouth so I have cut back a little.

Yeah. 9:30 is about my limit. But I am up fairly early. Anywhere from 5am to 7am.

Are you on the dry side of the wet side of Washington, being in the north east. I love Washington and Oregon. Don't think we will leave Alaska but are looking for around 30-40 acres out in the Matanuska Valley. Want to get out of Anchorage and have room to really garden, both flowers, trees, and vegies.

So, Good Morning Jnette.
Mary
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9047452

Good afternoon Mary, LOL, just passed 12 o'clock. Here. I don't know, By the name of it it sounds like it must be about North Idaho, or Montana that you are talking about? However, from what you said, maybe it is North Central Oregon??? After living in the Seattle area for 30 years, and now Northeast Washingon, for gardening I would live farther Southeast, or Southcentral Washington. However, if you look at a map, the Tri-cities in Washington, (Richland, Yakima, can't remember the 3rd) around Hanford, that is pretty baron and hot. But great for growing a garden.

Blabbermouth? I am feeling the same way. I see you and I have both been in DG a long time. Wonder if it becomes an affliction? BTW, how long have you lived in Alaska? Ok, just reread your post so you are talking about a valley in Alaska. I was way off track. Sorry.

LOL, guess it is time to be quiet. Jeanette
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9047521

No. I am not very explicit and rereading my own post, it was misleading. I have lived here 57 years. 37 in Fairbanks and 20 in Anchorage. Came in '54 with my parents and brother. They all left and I stayed. I visit Washington and Oregon at least once a year. Last year my daughter (my traveling companion) went to Adelman's nurser, Shriener's Iris, Swan River Dahlias, and one other peony nursery. A small one. I think next year we will go to Washington and visit some of the nurseries there.

Yes, DG can become a real obsession. by the same token I have learned so much here, and shared some I know. I have just gotten into the swaping thing, although I have sent bunches of dahlia tubers, blue poppy plants, iris and daylily plants, poppy seeds just --- because. I am just about out of daylilies. They just don't seem to grow here, except for Stella D'oro very well. Bearded Iris are a masachistic endevour but I keep trying . Actually got two tall bearded to blossom. But I am not going to buy any more. I have a pond and am having it redone this summer, at least one side, and then will get serious about figuring out plants and flowers to go around it.

Well, off to Lowe's with my daughter to find stuff to make a draft dodger for my husband.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9047738

Draft Dodger, sounds like a fly for fishing??
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9047908

A draft dodger is that thing you put at the bottom of the door to keep drafts out. I don't fish per se. Dipnetting in the Chitna River hardly qualifies for regular fishing.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9047951

OK!! First, what do you make the draft dodger out of? I tried to get one at Ace hardware and he didn't know what I was talking about and when I told him, he told me to throw a towel or rug in front of the door. Jerk.

Next, What are you dipnetting for?? We used to dip for smelt. I love them. Jeanette
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9048032

We dipnet for salmon: pinks, silvers, kings.
I got a 6' foam pipe insulator. The kind that you wrap around pipes to keep them warmer (and what's in them). The kind I got is about 1 1/2" in diameter with the hollow in the middle about 3/4 ". I cut it into 36" lengths as that is the wideth of the door. Then lay out your material (I just used some leftover cotton stuff I had that looked tough enough for the job) cut it into 36" long by --- and here is the part I haven't done before. You want the material to be wide enough to wrap around the foam tube things and leave a half inch for the seam -- on each end -- you allow an amount of material between the two tubes for the width of the door. You sow your two -- um like pockets on each side, slide the foam in then open the door, slip the 'creation' under the door with a foam tube on each side of the door. That way when you open or close the door the draft dodger just goes along with the door. DH wanted something so when he left his office and shut the door the draft dodger would still be snug on each side. If my horrible powers of description stump you, let me know and I will sketch up a quick picture. i am on my laptop right now and need to do it on my desk top.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2012
10:34 PM

Post #9048159

So, you don't slide the pipe insulation on the door. Like the door is in the 3/4" in the middle of the insulation where normally the pipe would be. You put the insulation, a 36" piece on each side of the door. There is nothing under the door itself but a piece of the cotton? No, I think I have it wrong. No, when I read yours again, I think I might have it right.

Well, you see these things on TV, commercials, and they are sliding the door inside of this thing. That is what I have pictured. What kind of door are we talking about?

I want to send this to you before you go to bed. Oh, I forgot, you are in AK so you are only like 8:30. I am 10:30. But, if you do it the way I am describing, why are you getting 2 hollow tubes? OR, are each side of a tube sewn together on the under side of the door? So, what you have done is taken 2 hollow tubes and made one hollow tube out of them????? LOL, Am I all wet? Just an expression. Jeanette
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9048624

lol. I did such a poor job of explaining. picture a tube on each side of the door (any standard door, inside or outside, just not sliding). picture cloth under both tubes AND the door. Then roll the cloth on each side up and around each tube, sewing it fairly snugly along the length of each tube to secure it and to keep it snugly against the door bottom. I will lay one out (not sown yet) and send a picture
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #9048657

Oberon, I think we said the same thing, just in different ways. But, I still need to know why you are getting hollow tubes? 'cause there are no such things as solid?? Jeanette
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #9048683

the point of the insulating tubes is to wrap around pipes that are exposed to some cold. In the case of hot water pipes in my garage, in winter they get cool fast. The hollow tubes actually have a little line along the full length that I didn't see at first. You can cut or tear along this line which allows you to open the tubes and wrap them around pipe. So, the short answer is that because of the use for these nice foam tubes, they have to be hollow. I would get solid ones if I knew where they were.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9048709

Ok, we ARE on the same page then. LOL, they wouldn't be called tubes then would they? If they were solid.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9048748

:) No, I don't think so. I was bonking my daughter (she is 37 going on 18) in Lowe's. She was so embaressed. lol. We have a great time. Oh alright. I am 65 going on 12... ;)
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9048775

I think this is what she is trying to make. Let me know if it works as I am concerned that the door won't close when the front "ballaster" hits the threshold. I have been using a rolled up old towel and it is pain to reposition it every time I open the front door. Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/Unknown-601900-Draft-Guard-Brown/dp/B00078ZJPG/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9048828

You have a point. The door I am putting this on is the door to a condo that is inside the building. So there is no threshhold. My husband said this is rather blatantly againt fire code and he can smell all sorts of stuff coming under the door, especially since he leaves the windows open quite often. Good point. Hope I didn't send anyone off in the wrong directions. Draft dodgers are typically used on outside doors and would therefore had threshholds. And yes, I don't think they would work for that application. I'm sorry.

I checked the url and that is exactly what I want to make. Shoot. Cheaper to buy than make. lol. Never occured to me to look at amazon.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 345 Apr 13, 2014 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America