Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Heucheras and Friends: How to design with heucheras

Communities > Forums > Heucheras and Friends
bookmark
Forum: Heucheras and FriendsReplies: 5, Views: 75
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Elijablue
Wheaton, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9040222

I have several "Purple Palace" heucheras and one "Silver Scrolls" and one "Caramel". Last year, they were mixed together, but I didn't like the look - seemed too chaotic, and colors did not seem to compliment each other. Any suggestions as to how to arrange them into a nice design? I may be able to divide the silver scrolls this year.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2012
1:32 AM

Post #9040590

I think you have a great start - how about adding some of the chartreause colored ones to the mix? They would set off the ones you have mentioned. I have also seen where some have a low growing creeper to offset as well - lysamachia is nice, but can take over. There are some gorgeous lamiums as well as hostas and brunnera.

Elijablue
Wheaton, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9041819

I think adding the chartreause color will help. Thanks for the advice. My heucheras are on the east side of my house, so they get the morning and early afternoon sun. I don't think the brunnera or hosta would survive there. Temps have been in the 70's for the past 3 days, and will continue for the rest of the week, so I've been out in the garden doing spring clean up!!

Diane
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

March 14, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9042963

Unless you have deer, Diane, brunnera and hosta are real survivors.

Besides a chartreuse heuchera, there are a lot of pink/purple tones that look great together. Try a few Shanghai.

Marcia
springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

March 14, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9043182

Another plant that looks great with heuchera is hakonechloa. There are some that will have a few burgandy leaves in fall.I think it is marca beni-kaze. Realy makes a nice color echo with the heuchera dark foliage, in summer it is bright green.
Elijablue
Wheaton, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9044374

Thanks for all the suggestions! It's really a comfort to be able to ask for advice and get so much help! Never thought about the Japanese grass, but now I think I'll have to look into that one.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heucheras and Friends Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Any Heuchera Experts Out There, specifically deer-resistant JudithI 19 Feb 14, 2009 5:00 PM
Colorful Heucheras sanannie 148 Aug 2, 2007 5:10 PM
New Member - wondering about Heucheras jazmine188 18 May 29, 2007 1:27 PM
Palace Purple Overexposed! (Warning...this is scary) Erynne 24 May 31, 2007 3:30 PM
Question about wintering over Heucheras BlueAsh 17 Mar 28, 2007 9:57 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America