Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Heucheras and Friends: How to design with heucheras

Communities > Forums > Heucheras and Friends
bookmark
Forum: Heucheras and FriendsReplies: 5, Views: 75
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Elijablue
Wheaton, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9040222

I have several "Purple Palace" heucheras and one "Silver Scrolls" and one "Caramel". Last year, they were mixed together, but I didn't like the look - seemed too chaotic, and colors did not seem to compliment each other. Any suggestions as to how to arrange them into a nice design? I may be able to divide the silver scrolls this year.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2012
1:32 AM

Post #9040590

I think you have a great start - how about adding some of the chartreause colored ones to the mix? They would set off the ones you have mentioned. I have also seen where some have a low growing creeper to offset as well - lysamachia is nice, but can take over. There are some gorgeous lamiums as well as hostas and brunnera.

Elijablue
Wheaton, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9041819

I think adding the chartreause color will help. Thanks for the advice. My heucheras are on the east side of my house, so they get the morning and early afternoon sun. I don't think the brunnera or hosta would survive there. Temps have been in the 70's for the past 3 days, and will continue for the rest of the week, so I've been out in the garden doing spring clean up!!

Diane
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

March 14, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9042963

Unless you have deer, Diane, brunnera and hosta are real survivors.

Besides a chartreuse heuchera, there are a lot of pink/purple tones that look great together. Try a few Shanghai.

Marcia
springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

March 14, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9043182

Another plant that looks great with heuchera is hakonechloa. There are some that will have a few burgandy leaves in fall.I think it is marca beni-kaze. Realy makes a nice color echo with the heuchera dark foliage, in summer it is bright green.
Elijablue
Wheaton, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9044374

Thanks for all the suggestions! It's really a comfort to be able to ask for advice and get so much help! Never thought about the Japanese grass, but now I think I'll have to look into that one.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heucheras and Friends Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Any Heuchera Experts Out There, specifically deer-resistant JudithI 19 Feb 14, 2009 5:00 PM
Colorful Heucheras sanannie 148 Aug 2, 2007 5:10 PM
New Member - wondering about Heucheras jazmine188 18 May 29, 2007 1:27 PM
Palace Purple Overexposed! (Warning...this is scary) Erynne 24 May 31, 2007 3:30 PM
Question about wintering over Heucheras BlueAsh 17 Mar 28, 2007 9:57 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America