How to design with heucheras

Wheaton, IL(Zone 5b)

I have several "Purple Palace" heucheras and one "Silver Scrolls" and one "Caramel". Last year, they were mixed together, but I didn't like the look - seemed too chaotic, and colors did not seem to compliment each other. Any suggestions as to how to arrange them into a nice design? I may be able to divide the silver scrolls this year.

Athens, PA

I think you have a great start - how about adding some of the chartreause colored ones to the mix? They would set off the ones you have mentioned. I have also seen where some have a low growing creeper to offset as well - lysamachia is nice, but can take over. There are some gorgeous lamiums as well as hostas and brunnera.

Wheaton, IL(Zone 5b)

I think adding the chartreause color will help. Thanks for the advice. My heucheras are on the east side of my house, so they get the morning and early afternoon sun. I don't think the brunnera or hosta would survive there. Temps have been in the 70's for the past 3 days, and will continue for the rest of the week, so I've been out in the garden doing spring clean up!!

Diane

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Unless you have deer, Diane, brunnera and hosta are real survivors.

Besides a chartreuse heuchera, there are a lot of pink/purple tones that look great together. Try a few Shanghai.

Marcia

Lake Stevens, WA

Another plant that looks great with heuchera is hakonechloa. There are some that will have a few burgandy leaves in fall.I think it is marca beni-kaze. Realy makes a nice color echo with the heuchera dark foliage, in summer it is bright green.

Wheaton, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks for all the suggestions! It's really a comfort to be able to ask for advice and get so much help! Never thought about the Japanese grass, but now I think I'll have to look into that one.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.