-
AuthorContent
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9041012

Time for a new thread. We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1242565/

This is the greenest clematis I could find, Duchess of Edinburgh, to wish you all a happy St. Patrick's Day and welcome spring.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9041067

The Duchess must be Iris? LOL, she's just beautiful Arlene. Thank you for the new thread. Happy St. Patrick day to you and everyone here. John, which zone are you on or is it the unseasonably warm winter has changed your gardening progress? Marie, I hope you continue to feel better, and that you will celebrate your Birthday right onto the weekend and beyond Marie. I've found more clem. buds, flowers buds in the garden, can't wait for them beginning to pop.
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

March 13, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9041100

lily, I am zone 6b/7a . Generally, the louisville area is considered 6b and the traditional planting out day is derby day which is the first Saturday in May.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9041120

The Duchess is a clematis. In morning shade it appears green but soon enough goes to all white, as it should be.

Thumbnail by pirl

maureenpm00
Lindenhurst, NY

March 13, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9041598

Hello everyone. Hope all are doing good.

pirl - love the Dutchess...

I may not be on here, my subscription is running out. So can you send me your email Pirl?

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9041660

I have my Duchess of Edinburgh full of buds, planted on a little obelisk with the mini climbing rose, Work of Art. Hope it's a good combo and that the small rose blooms don't get overwhelmed by the larger clem blooms. http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/pl.php?n=6614&tab=36

Hit a couple of nurseries today despite the rain, guess I'm just a die hard plant nut! Found a 1 gal. clem, Ramona, with several buds, for $8, not a bad price I thought, plus a white lilac tree. Getting excited for blooms!
KimmyCoCoPop
Taylorsville, KY

March 14, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9042200

Happy Spring (I sure hope we get one) and St. Patrick's Day...what a gorgeous clem. Yesterday was near 80 as is today and tomorrow. I was able to get out last night after work and my clems are growing by leaps and bounds. My durandi, which wasn't up on Sunday, was up about an inch yesterday and I've found growth on pretty much every other clem. But, it is freakishly warm so I'm hoping we don't get that dreaded cold snap that socks everything back. I'm pretending like that's not going to happen...kim
roseycats
Dayton, OH

March 14, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9042990

Beautiful Clematis Pirl
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9043001

Thanks! How are you doing with your own hybridized daylilies? They are such fun!
Goldenberry
Northeast, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9043096

Tonight after I got home from work, I discovered that some critter had nipped ALL the stems of my Nelly Moser and Hagleys Hybrid clems off about six inches from the ground! They were budding so nicely...six weeks ahead of schedule. My favorite, Guernsey Cream was untouched, so it is now surrounded by hardware cloth, as is Etoile Violette.

Had to be bunnies. The clems usually are not budding this early and the rabbits are hungry. What a sad learning experience. :(

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9043140

Goldenberry, so sorry to hear your lost. That would upset me too. I've lost a mature 'President' clem due to voles. I've thought about making chicken-wire cage underground, and plant new clematis root ball within the cage, as an experiment to see if that would help with Voles. Don't know what clever way to deter deers and rabits other than seeing chemicals ads. to deter them?

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 14, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9043169

Happy birthday marie, sorry am late.
Pirl...such a pretty clem. I can hardly believe I still have two months before any blooms here, phooey. Not much evev showing green yet, few weeds, lol.
Was 75 today, very nice, little light breeze. gosh would have loved working in the garden but too wet.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2012
1:29 AM

Post #9043275

Just checking my clems. Many have shoots.These were new plants last fall.
I will ad Dof E to my wish list.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9043372

Goldenberry - so very sorry for the damage. I'd agree with rabbits being the culprits. Spread some Blood Meal to deter them. The clematises will rebound and probably surprise you with their vigor. They love the tender new growth on many plants so feel free to sprinkle the Blood Meal, lightly, to protect other cherished plants.

Kim - what a loss! The cages will keep them safe. My California friend, Zuzu, uses them for all of her 1200+ roses.

Kathy - we, too, have a two month wait for the clematis blooms. Yesterday I worked for four hours planting peonies, lilies and clematis. I also finally got around to feeding a lot more clem's with manure and bone meal and hoisted many back up since the obelisk fell during a storm and took a few down but the roots are fine and they are all sprouting. We had 67 degrees and full sunshine - glorious!

Jo Ann - I was very surprised to see fat leaf buds on many I planted last fall. What a joy!

The 'Duchess of Edinburgh' keeps growing taller and gives a big flush of blooms high in the Crape Myrtle. It's a winner for me. Since hurricane Gloria took out the big tree and limbs crushed much of the Crape Myrtle (photo 2) this will be interesting come spring to see if the Crape Myrtle will rebound enough to support the clematis without having it just hang in the air.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl

roseycats
Dayton, OH

March 15, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9043533

I am going to put some hybridized Daylily seeds in the fridge today. thanks for asking
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9043736

You can put the seeds in a plastic bag with just damp soil-less mix and they'll sprout right in your kitchen (or any room).

Edited to add: don't seal the bag so it gets a little air.

This message was edited Mar 15, 2012 1:08 PM

Thumbnail by pirl

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9043796

So Arlene, Daylilies seeds don't require strattification? It's good to know.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9043800

Hah, I've a imposter; a "green" bloom. Anyone can correctly identify this? Hint, hint. It's a shrub. Happy St. Patrick day.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9043898

Kim - when the seeds fall to the ground they begin to grow before winter. I never found it was required to stratify them.

I'd bet that's an hydrangea.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9043919

Thank you Arlene for your response. Oh good guess, but actually that's a 'Snowball' Viburnum which hasn't bloomed for me for several years... until now. The new pompoms first appear greenish, then will turn white eventually.

Did I mention my 'Empress' is sending out buds? I'm so excited with this one clem.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9043966

I have seen Viburnum in the Ga mountains, at Dillard Ga, but they where white, and beutiful. My clematis are doing good even the sleepy Neibe is sprouting, also my Gypsy Queen is 2 inches tall next to my white Landy banks rose. My leatriss bulbs are coming up and I am waiting to see if the lillies are good bulbs, since I ordered them from Michigan bulbs. A few are few inches tall but have some that are not showing yet. It has been very hot here, I have four days off, so it is happy digging time. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9044004

That's one beautiful view there Ekelta. Hope your bulbs will turn out well. I potted up some Asiatic lilies that already sprouted out in the bag. When you mention hot. Yes, it's typical of our Southeastern weather, we usually skip spring and go straight to summer from winter months. lol
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9044038

It's a lovely viburnum, Kim.

Etelka - that's a wonderful view. Glad to hear your clem's are coming up and some bulbs. Try to order from a lily company instead of Michigan Bulb Co. They've been such a disappointment and waste of money for so many people. You can check Garden Watchdog for reviews.

I think I'd miss spring terribly if we missed out on it.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9044046

Etelka, please pardon my misspell your name. Thanks Arlene for helping me remember. Here is another viburnum, the 'snowballs' has no fragrant. But this one it perfumes the entire yard. They're like Clematises-- eye-candies. I wanted more, and more of them only there is no space left to plant in the garden.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 15, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9044149

My Clems are putting out so much I swear they grew an inch in the past few days.
I got my little babies put in pots with some bone meal. I hope that was the right thing to do. I want to get those roots growin. The little growth is so fragile now, I have them in the back room where it is cooler and more light. I will keep putting them out during the day to get them use to it.
Almost all of my lilies are planted and I finally got all the beds cleaned out. I will not leave another leave in those beds next year. I am so sore.
It just gave those nasty voles more stuff to hide under, I found so many holes, But each one I found I put more poison in each one. I did find one dead vole. One down and many more to go.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9044162

Kim - please tell us the name of the fragrant viburnum. I'd love to know though I'm also short on space.

Hurray for the clematises and the dead voles, Marie. There are no good voles or deer in my opinion. I recently said to someone that every hour I spent outside cleaning up during November, December and January was worth it. So many jobs were done before I even started spring work, like planting. Even if we can manage to do one bed or one part of a bed each week it would be great for a winter project to help avoid the sore bodies we have now.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9044204

Arlene, my fragrant viburnum was identified as Viburnum x carlcephalum. It needs moderate sun to do well. I once planted under a thick canopy of trees, it didn't bloom well at all. I moved it to a sunnier location and it has been a jewel in the garden.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9044247

Two more wonderfully smelling viburnums are carlesii and davidii, absolutely outstanding. Hope I spelled those correctly. Both are on my to get list.

Etelka...B&DLilies is a great mailorder for lilies, and they are HUGE.

This message was edited Mar 15, 2012 5:53 PM

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9044307

Thanks, Kim and Kathy. I bought viburnum opulus last year but it's not in bloom yet. I'm looking forward to it.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 15, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9044336

I am looking forward to all the plants that I planted a year ago. This will be their 2nd year, so they should be a good show. peonies, iris, day lilies, strawberry van hydrangea, my other hydrangea's that I got new last spring, the name had city in it . I would have to look that one up. All the clems I planted in the fall of 2010. It is going to be a pretty summer I hope.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9044357

Viburnums take a while to establish, just like clematis...in a way. They are lasting beauties added to the garden, among other perinnials. I'm looking into finding way to safe-guard my clems. Lots of work to be done.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2012
1:15 AM

Post #9044563

More clem buds this week.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9044720

Marie - Rio or Berlin? Maybe Venice?

It is an exciting time of year, Jo Ann.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9044738

you bet
Goldenberry
Northeast, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9044910

Anyone who has a rabbit problem, I strongly advise putting cages around the base of your clematis! It would have saved mine. A friend told me that bunny teeth grow continuously, and they like biting narrow, woody stems to 'file' their teeth. Not sure that is true, but it would explain why the critters bite the stems of lilies, and now my clematis, and then just leave the bitten-off plants there without even eating them. My remaining clematis are now protected with a ring of 1/2" hardware wire cloth. Perhaps it is time to gather all the rabbit-fodder plants together and fence that garden.

I appreciate the reminders that it's time to feed clematis now. Hopefully that will help what's left of mine to sprout new stems.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9045060

It's so exciting to watch the development of the buds! This is Duchess of Edinburgh.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9045199

Sue - it's probably the most interesting of all clematises to watch from the very start through all of the stages.

Thumbnail by pirl

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9045304

Great shot pirl!! This will be fun!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9045342

Beside DOE, Belle of Woking buds have similar bracts that make them different from the rest. Love those double blooming Clems. Oh this evening I also found Niobe also puts out flower buds. Spring is here!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9045379

Love the pics of DoE. It was back to reality this week, as vacation is over. I hadn't seen the clemies all week until this evening, and wow, what a difference a week makes. Most of them have grown tremendously thanks to the early warm weather and rain we've been having. Here's Josephine behind the Parrot tulip mix now blooming, Omoshiro finally is growing and has the nerve to have a bud, Yipee!!!! Miguel Viso has also had tremendous growth, and Jackmanii was layered, the flat spot seen is where the neighbor's kid has taken the brick, Grrrr!!!!,

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9045385

DoA is over 3ft tall, Pink Champagne has nice fat buds, Crystal Fountain is growing a lot of stems, and Mrs. C is heading towards 2ft tall. This crazy early warm weather has really triggered lots of growth. It was in the 80's again today, and our winter is over in the southeast, per the weatherman this week. Oh my!!!!

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9045421

Wonderful photos, Annette, and all good news except for the missing brick. I love your stone work and railings - so ideal to allow the clematises to show their beauty.

Here I thought I had somehow killed Rooguchi since it had so much top growth in November and none as of last week but that warm weather has at least 20 sprouts showing up now. Hurray for spring!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9045424

Annette, your gardening setting is charming! Josephine is also known as 'Empress' isn't it? How exciting with your clemmies this year. Did you know, we hit the record high yesterday being in the mid. 80's, compared that to record low back 1993 was 12 degree F. that same day. Whoa, can you believe winter is over for real?
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9045443

Thanks ya'll, LOL. Kim, I do believe winter is over, it was really hot today, ewww!!! I'm glad I did a lot of spring garden work when it was cooler last week. We're breaking heat records here too, this doesn't bode well for us this summer.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9045505

I tought this was a Josephene, which one would you rather have?? I take both. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9045563

That looks absolutely delicious, wow. Do those ship well???? LOL.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9045578

No fair, Etelka, especially right before bed!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2012
2:15 AM

Post #9045739

Chem !That is one beautiful row of tulips and roses.
The clems look great.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9048536

My clems are doing great, knock on wood, my Gypsy Queen grow 5 inches overnight, so maybe I will have some purple clematis to, instead just pink a blue.
Pirl, you asked me about my bottlebursh bush flower, I just noticed this morning it is half way open, I tought to send you the pictures. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta   Thumbnail by kiseta

GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9048586

Hello everyone, I am enjoying your pictures of spring growth very much. My wife and I have been spending the last few wees here in Hilton Head South Carolina and will be going back up to New York state about the first of April and gather it has been an incredibly warm spring in the north also. I recall last April 2ond almost home in northern Pa and all Hell of a winter storm broke loose,there were rain torrents washing mud and gravel out on the major roads...after dark! then a personal favorite intermittent freezing road surfaces depending on elevation...oh and no places to stay if I where smart enough to get off the roads,what fun the north can be! We made it just fine but what a difference !Hi Carolynn, I know you live near me, how is the growth on your clems? I am a little concerned about n trained growth but I will probably work it out. Lee Sherwood McDonald

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9048593

Hi Lee! we sure are having a nice March. Everything is bustin out. All of us have thet companion of dread for April.It snows then too.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9048693

Thanks ge, it's a camillia that's bloming, and the azaleas that you see in the background.

Etelka, that bottlebrush flower is adorable, how tall is that bush?

LSM, good to see you posting, hope all is well, and that you're enjoying your time in Hilton Head. It's hot in the south, in the 80's again today, and everything is growing rapidly here. I'm already dreading the summer heat if it's already this hot in mid March. Annette
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9048716

Cem9165. the bottlebursh bush is over 5' tall but it will get much taller later, I bought it last year.Etelka
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9048786

Love the bottlebrush, Etelka.

Magnolias are bursting here so a frost will turn them black. I might as well enjoy them as they are today. It's too scary to think of frost and snow.

Lee - good to have you back with us.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9049346

Lee

Most of my clems are starting to show some growth. The only ones I have not seen any growth on are the ones that I have planted on the North side of the house. We are supposed to be 80 degrees on Wednesday and on Thursday as well.

Welcome back!
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 19, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9049384

I wanted to inform everyone that the Clem,s that the tree men ripped from the trellis, are coming back strong. That is a Nelly and Josephine for ya.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 19, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9049387

I was thinking of putting some chicken wire around one of the down spouts and planting a clem on it, Has anyone ever done this?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9049391

Marie

Yes! It works very well. I had my son put up some wire around a downspout and it is perfect. The water from the rain helps to keep the roots cool and moist.

Carolyn

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2012
1:34 AM

Post #9049710

I have chicken wire supports around trees. Now if the clems would appear I would be happy.
Most of mine are showing. I am wondering if the 3 years of failures in one spot is due to the soil conditions.
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

March 20, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9050184

My clems are growing vigorously. Some are 4 feet tall while all are 2 to 21/2 feet. Most have flower buds. I'm not sure thats a good thing.

The only one not showing is my Montana grandiflora. Of course , I cut it down with a weed eater last fall... so not much can be expected.

Kathy and Arlene...my Viburnum Carlesi is in full bloom. I'm not sure which of the cultivars it is. It's 5 years old and probably 5feet tall and the same wide. The scent is heavenly. I took two cuttings from it. One struck roots and I don't know about the other. I planted the one in the back of the border.It's a sad little thintg with only one tiny leaf at this point.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9050206

My Viburnum carlesii is only 3 years old and this will be it's first year blooming. The buds are swelling and I'm getting impatient.

The clems are still mostly hibernating.
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

March 20, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9050238

Kwanjin you will love it. The scent carries all over the garden
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9050538

I still have more clems to cut back. I haven't fertilized yet either - typically I do that during the month of April, but it seems that the weather has gotten things really sprouting...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9050625

I just do a section at a time, Carolyn. So it's 6 clem's here and 8 clem's there, etc. It's just the easiest way for me to handle each garden.
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

March 20, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9050645

You cut back your clems?????
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9050683

You know Arlene - that is probably what I will have to do this year. Typically I hit all my type 3's and go around with my rose fertilizer, fertilzing all the clems and my roses at the same time. This year is not going to be the same. Things are popping all at once and there are a myriad of other things going on as well. Baking some cookies later in the week to take to my son's house for dinner the end of the week.

John - yes, I cut back all my type 3's to the first or second node. Type 2's and 1's have the dead cut off and any shaping they may need. Everything gets fertilzed.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9050705

I agree with Carolyn. All type 3's have to get cut back for best performance. They are always the first ones I attack since type 1's don't require any cutting back. Type 2' may or may not need trimming but can be pruned after they bloom to give a better second flush of blooms.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9050824

ge...what type of tree?

You know..Pirl and Carolyn, about the time your done with cutting back all your goodies, mine will need it tooo!!! I always leave any growth til spring cleanup. I even have several pair of Felcos, lol.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2012
1:48 AM

Post #9051002

Warrior wisdome ,its a evergreen, mostlikely spruce as the last of the scots pines was taken down in January. Beetle infestation. The whole sub division was landscaped in evergreens 20 years ago.
I did see shoots comming from my Ashva clem. I saw them without bending over with a magnifier. Isago ,planted near it hasnt showed up yet. Its the one I transplanted because it wasnt planted deep enough last fall. I set it in the same placebut deeper.

All I need is patience.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2012
5:08 AM

Post #9051092

Happy day, first clelmatis bloom. My Sunset has 2 flowers on it, it is a nice color, darker then last year. Also my white Ladybanks rose is in bloom, not to many times you find a white one. Off to making lasagna for my folks in the Church. Etelka

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9051118

Lovely, Etelka. Enjoy the blooms...and the lasagna.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9051828

This sure looks like blooms coming to me, what do you think? This is one of my Nelly's.

Thumbnail by marie_kap

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9051917

Wonderful! You'll have flowers shortly.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 22, 2012
2:36 AM

Post #9052340

Its the elNino effect

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9052746

Found this fun page from the Netherlands with some great photos of obscure clematis, well, not all of them are obscure.
http://www.clematisinfo.nl/en/1280_1024/default.asp?path=content.asp?pid=2187

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 22, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9052767

wonderful site
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9052835

Nice site, Sue. Kaguri is beautiful.

I have tibetana but it may not return after being trampled thoroughly when the tree fell in the back last year.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9053368

Hey ya'll the clemies are still growing rapidly in the south thanks to all this early heat. DoA is now over 5ft. I keep having to tie her up every few days. I suspect Pink Champagne will be open in the next 1-2 days based on how fat her buds are. Patricia Ann Fretwell is growing nicely as well, and my noid is no longer a noid, it's Niobe which is close to 5ft, I found the tag. Yipeee!!!! And, just for chuckles, the cherry trees are starting to bloom, and the tulips are going gangbusters. We're finally going to get some rain tomorrow, and slightly cooler temps after for a few days.

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9053389

Wooohooo!!! Annette, we've rain all day long. One gentle but steady rain. And with the current temp. Like you've mentioned our Southern gardens are going to explode with color! Beautiful Kwansan cherry blossoms, and the tulips underfoot!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9053401

Thanks Kim, and thanks for the cherry tree id. My DH and I were racking our brains trying to remember the name. Of course when they were planted 7 years ago who knew about saving tags, LOL. I'm looking forward to some rain, ours should start tonight.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9053425

You're quite welcome. It happens to be one of my pride and joy in the garden. Oh yes, the rain it moving your way. I've more clems. about to open up...hopefully in the morning.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9053443

WOW...they sure do look like eye candy to me. Love the Korean one and it's wavey petals, very unique. I found several I want!!!! While looking at the yellow varieties, I remembered that we have a wild yellow clem in the foothillls here in Colorado. Am thinking it's C.tangutica. Maybe I should grab some seed heads this year.

OOOppps, same pix as above, can't change it tho. I goofed.

This message was edited Mar 22, 2012 7:25 PM

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9053454

It's still a pretty picture Kathy, love that purple, so vibrant. I wish I could find some wild clems here, that would be such a treat.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2012
4:14 AM

Post #9053628

I've two "wild" ones. They were self sown in the area my Jackmanii situated. So assumed the offsprings were that of Jack's, lol. They've returned and performed remarkably well year after year, only they don't spread (as I hope they would). Their flowers are like those purple bell shape kinda flowers. I just staked one that grew by a dogwood. Last year the single vine got wind damage, it didn't yield many flowers. Hopefully this year would be a different result.
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9054253

Hello Everyone, I just made my first Clematis order of 2012.I want to share and ask about Mrs. Chodomoudeley,or Mrs. Chumley(Sp), Wisley ,Pillu, Silver star River,Kiri Tikonewa, Westerplateor Chumley It looks as if Silver Star river. is an intrgrefolia type. Lee Sherwood McDonald
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9054269

Since I lost two Mrs. Cholmondeley I can only wish you well. I haven't had the others.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9054383

I have Mrs. Cholmdeley from Brushwood last April. It bloomed last year, and has more buds already this year. I'll post a picture of it when I get home. It's about 2ft now and growing really well.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9054515

John, here's a pic of Mrs. Cholmondeley, sorry it's kinda dark since I took this as dusk today. The second is Omoshiro, short but full of buds, and the third is Pink Champagne that's teasing me. Open already, LOL!!!!

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165

JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 23, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9054617

Just got this one yesterday from Brushwoods: Venosa violacea.
MAJOR root ball, too ! Dan never disappoints with his plants.
Foliage on this one is much smaller and finer than what I'm used to, so this will be interesting to see how it does here. See photo below.

I also got an HF Young from him last month. The top growth was minimal but it had a fantastic root system. It's now 24" tall and has buds on it. I'll take pictures when it blooms.

This message was edited Mar 23, 2012 6:24 PM

Thumbnail by JasperDale

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2012
11:00 PM

Post #9054782

Cem..love your pix and absolutely love that elephant plaque on your brick wall. I could see your pix just fine when enlarged. Wow..clems already, just amazing.

Jasper...are any of my pix the Venosa violacea, I'm sure I have that one, but alas some of the tags have faded. I'm trying to figure out which ones I do have. Or maybe pirl has a few ideas, for any or all. I'll recognise the names if I know which plant is which.

Ooooppps, pix #1 and 2 are the same ones.

This message was edited Mar 23, 2012 11:03 PM

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 23, 2012
11:10 PM

Post #9054785

I'v only seen pictures of V V so based on what I've seen, your 3rd picture looks like it to me.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2012
11:59 PM

Post #9054794

Thanks, I will have to make a note of that and a new tag when it blooms. Hey, speaking of tags, has anyone used the copper type? If so, what did you use to mark it and were you pleased? I was thinking a grease pencil, read somewhere that they are suppose to last a long time, if so how long?

I'm thinking the first pix is Jackmaii supurba., is that correct?

This message was edited Mar 24, 2012 12:00 AM
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9054873

Here's Venosa Violacea from Walmart and Brushwood.

Your VV looks great, JD!

Love your photos, Kathy.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

March 24, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9055602

Took this shot of Venosa Violacea at a nursery. I used to have it in my old garden, want to get it again some day.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9055633

Mine, from Walmart, is now about 3" tall. I put two in one pot and I'm just waiting for the other one to emerge.
bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9055827

Lee, I only have Piliu, and so far has not done very well.Maybe this will be the year for it. I have VVV and it is a great performer. I am jealous of all the great finds at Walmart.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9055850

I hope my VV is true to name for once and does as well as yours, Anna.

Somehow I missed seeing the name of Piilu on Lee's post. I have two and they are smaller flowers but have performed just fine.

Thumbnail by pirl

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9055860

wwk, that third picture of the clem looks like my noid, I've got to get the name of that one. These are blooms from last spring.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #9056032

Pink Champagne has such a rich color. It's really strange having clematis blooms in March with the daffodils, and even tree peony Shima Nishiki blooming at the same time. When I looked back at pictures from last year, the clematis didn't start blooming till late April, early May.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9056046

Omoshiro has nice fat buds, it may be 10in. tall, but insists on blooming at that height. Niobe is starting to trail across the top of the fence, and has buds too.

Finally, I just wanted to show my Star anise tree. This is it's third year and it has some amazing blooms. It is planted in semi-shade, stays green all winter, and has been blooming for the past month, with the most blooms I've ever seen open this morning.

The weather here is gorgeous this morning, a cool 48*, and only getting into the low 70's today, thank goodness. Now if only the pollen would go away. The yellow powder that you seen on the Star anise tree is from all the pollen this past week. We broke records with counts over 9000, 8000, and so on this week. Everything here has a yellow tinge to it, and I can't wait for some rain to wash it away.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2012
5:40 AM

Post #9056057

Lovely photos, Annette. That star anise is wonderful.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9056071

Lovely, love pics. indeed! Annette, could you offer some tips on the Star Anise culture? I had one for a couple of years. On the second year it bloomed sparsely for me, and on its 3rd year it took off and died. I too planted it in my shaded garden. Too densely shade perhaps?

Yes, we are on the same zone, clematises usually don't bloom until couple weeks later. Lots of my use-to-be late blooming Azaleas. The types that bloom last in the season. They're bursting out like wild fires with other early blooming variety. Spring came in like gang buster this year. And pollens are everywhere! Well, some pollen are washed off, and so are lot of our dogwoods petals.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9056108

Thanks Arlene and Kim. The Star anise is in my helebore and hosta bed, so it doesn't get much sun at all. During the spring I toss Osmocote in the bed, which is mulched with pine straw, and it gets no special treatment.. It just seems to like where it's planted. I think the mild winter helped with it also blooming much sooner.

Thumbnail by Cem9165

bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9064067

Very pretty. Does the star anise smell like licorice? I have a lot of shade and dappled shade. Looks like a nice plant to try.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9066105

Hey bananna18, I haven't ever smelled the anise tree, I'll try to remember to do so tomorrow.

Here are some pictures of Omoshiro, and I have to say a BIG thanks to pirl for posting her picture of this clematis last year, which inspired me to order mine. I LOVE this clematis, and I can't wait till it gets taller.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9066109

Fireworks started blooming yesterday. Miguel Viso has also opened a few more blooms.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9066119

Duchess of Albany has lost her mind, she's well over 6ft, and I had to get DH to help me strap her up to the downspout. She has tons of nice fat buds, so I suspect I'll see some blooms opening this week

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 2, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #9066376

Did you cut your Dutches back this spring?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9066466

Annette, D.o.A. is going to be glorious! Can't wait to see it in its full glory!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9066488

You're doing just great, Annette. Omoshiro was low for me the first blooming year but a nice size in the second year (photo attached). Fireworks and Miguel Viso are looking fine. Duchess of Albany is spectacular! Mine is about a foot tall.

My most amazing one is Helsingborg and it is totally wild. I have no idea what to do with it. Photos later (provided I remember to take them). I didn't do any cutting back for many of the clem's while I waited to see if the ends would get green leaves. Some did have to get cut back about a foot but Candida Lanuginosa has to be 10' tall and grows through a magnolia with a few others. I'm anxious to see that one bloom.

Thumbnail by pirl

bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9066493

[quote="Cem9165"]Duchess of Albany has lost her mind, she's well over 6ft, and I had to get DH to help me strap her up to the downspout. She has tons of nice fat buds, so I suspect I'll see some blooms opening this week[/quote]

Funny! Can't wait to see!
bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9066500

Pirl, I guess that it a good problem with Helsingborg . This year I didn't cut back my type 2, but I did with type 3, although the way Margaret Hunt is growing, it is hard to believe.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9066523

The new growth on my 3's, which I did cut back very hard (down to just a few inches) is remarkable.

Helsingborg's problem is that it spread on the ground and I fear has rooted in each spot: every leaf joint appears to be rooted. That would leave me with allowing them to grow and they'd cover the gardens and driveway or trying to pot up each one.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9066632

[quote="pirl"]The new growth on my 3's, which I did cut back very hard (down to just a few inches) is remarkable.

Helsingborg's problem is that it spread on the ground and I fear has rooted in each spot: every leaf joint appears to be rooted. That would leave me with allowing them to grow and they'd cover the gardens and driveway or trying to pot up each one.[/quote]

That sounds like a good "problem" to have. Thanks Arlene for sharing your experience. I don't know if I have any type 3 clem.? These topic is quite advance on caring for clems. Thanks all for your contribution too.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9066638

I'm almost afraid to face the Helsingborg issue today since I have roses to get planted but I will take photos and relate what happens with it.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9066689

Oh wait, wait. Is SAC (sweet autumn clematis) a type 3?
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9066848

bananna, cut all of my clematis to about 12-18in., including m. Maylene, even though it's i group I, otherwise it would eat the house, LOL. DoA was also cut to the same height, it's the composted manure, Epsom salt, and the Bayer 3:1 Rose food that it was fed that has it going crazy. It's also been warmer here than ever, considering it's only early April, and I believe that's also helped it grow. It's also well mulched, and the roots are also shaded by the roses.

Arlene, that picture of Omoshiro is just gorgeous. Annette
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9066872

My # 3 Gipsy Queen was cut to a 6" hight a month ago, last week after I have firtilized it it grown to a 5 feet tall, but no buds.
I also got my 2 roses, Autumn sunset ,and without planing, from Low's I got a metal arch, very nice like I always wanted, so today I am puting it together and also finished painting my treated wood for a pegola. What happens when a clematis runs taller then the trellis, will it hurt it, or should I make some wire contraption to extend the trellis??My Sunset recupareted from the heat stroke, that night it rained and it helped to cool it down.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9067107

I just came in from putting my rose arch together, I sure could of used two more hands. It fell apart when I tried to stand it up the first time, but I did not give in, finnaly I have done it and it is only held by 4 10" spikes, I hope the wind won't push it down. I hope my getto neighbors that are known to look for cooper realize it is just painted steel, not copper. Also my Sister Theresa Astilbe is almost ready to bloom, I planted a lot of coleus around it. I found a place that sells nice size Sun coleus for 2.99, has about 30 differant shades. I will go back tomorow to get more before it is gone. Etelka

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9067137

Kim - the rule for SAC is to prune it drastically. Go right down to 6" to 12".

Thanks, Annette. I haven't checked up on it in a few days so I'll have to take a look.

Etelka - some are slower at blooming than others so I hope yours blooms soon. Lovely arbor! Don't worry if the clem's grow taller than any structure you put them on since they'll fall forward, backward, left or right and continue growing. It won't hurt them at all. Be sure to take photos of Sister Theresa when she blooms. I'd love to see it. We have one place up here that sells huge coleus so I'm waiting to buy them at $2.99 as well.

You can pound in a 6' tall piece of rebar on each side of the arbor to anchor it more securely. Use some strong wire to hold the rebar to the arbor.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9067153

Etelka...wow great arbor. going to add some annual vines this year til your roses mature a bit? One of these days, on my list of want to do's, I will build a copper trelis. Got about half the stuff, just never seem to think of it when I do have the time. lol.
Waiting for the snow to move in, news said 2-8" of that white stuff today. was almost 80* yesterday.
only jj's bloom so far.

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9067162

Thanks, Pirl, you are alwys so helpful.This is my very active H Young twins, the are beutiful but the trellis is short. I am still geting 2 more clematis next week I hope.

Thumbnail by kiseta

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9067179

Pirl, have you planted your roses, what kind did you get? I have saved a picture from a lady Timeinthebottle, that is why I ordered two of the same rose, I have not seen her posting lately, I hope she wont mind that I copied her. It will take time to be like hers, but I can dream. Autumn Sunset.

Thumbnail by kiseta

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9067410

You have beautiful HF Young clem's there, Etelka! I love the twin roses grown over that arbor. Anyone should be thrilled that you enjoyed the look of it so much that you copied it. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I bought six floribunda roses. I just don't have the patience to tend climbers.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9067440

H F Young was on sale in the Fall at Low's and I just could not leave the second one on the shelf by it self ..That is how I got 2 Ruupels, they are twins too. Just remember I have 2 Hanryies too, it must be a OCD thing. When I buy perennials I always buy them by 3, just realized this little corks in my head. I am waiting for 2 different Salvias, ordered 3 of each. One is Salvia Belize, very nice light peach shade, I hope it survives, it is kind of tropic. Some of the roses I have grown where a yellow Hanry Fonda, then a Gypsy queen, they are all gone to rose heaven, lost them to black spot. I hope this new one will do better.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9067498

I have also bought many clem's in two's and one I bought four of so maybe I'm OCD as well.

Tonight I took two showers. The first time I forgot to shower off the conditioner in my hair so I went back for round two. It's been a long day.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 2, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9067522

Oh pirl,,,lol. Now I know you were tired as well as I am after my day.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9067536

Exhausted but now it's time for blissful sleep and the joy of seeing the rose garden tomorrow.
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9068081

Hello everyone, I hope everyone is enjoying their gardens! We just got back to our home in upstate New York Monday eve. It is a lovely morning with a light blue sky and temps in the 40, at at 10 a.m. I am dresses a lot warmer than I have been the last 2 months!! We are already rejoicing the beginning of our second spring again this year ! It is our custom to share life's glories at the beginning of each month and we again realize how much power our love of all things growing bring us, and helps us through the tougher times such as my most recent Congestive heart failure episode in Hilton Head. I bet you all agree and we thank you for listening! All my clematis are doing very well except Niobe, she is in her third year and just isn't catching, her pals in the same row and either side of her are. As much as I hate to, I am going to carefully dig her up and see if the roots have wrapped or if I can see anything else I might be able to fix. I will also re dig and amend the soil to help her along...or to make her replacement as well off as I can., any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Lee Sherwood McDonald
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

April 3, 2012
9:07 AM

Post #9068118

Lee here's hoping the best for your health. Please keep us posted.

Kiseta I am very happy that you like that picture, That rose is doing very well this year. I am staying some distance from it as a robin has again this year nested in it. This will be the third year for the robins nesting there. the first year it abandoned the nest . The second year father robin kept attacking me and I believe his carry ing on must have attracted some predators , because something got the nestlings. This year I stay away.

I have bewen very busy in the garden now. there is so much to do.

John
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9068263

Sorry, John, I miss took you for a woman, I guess because we don't have to many guys that are gardeners. My father was a good gardener, vegt. and flowers, he tought us how to grow things, out of four kids, I am the only one to continue the tradition. I kept your picture on my walpaper to, so every morning I was imagining the roses in my garden. I ordered mine from Texas it came in soil not bare root. I got two , so it will grow on each side of the arbor. Thanks again for a nice picture, Etelka
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9068309

Lee - I hope you're back in good health again. Stay that way! Niobe doesn't seem to be a strong performer for many of us.

John - Isn't it sweet to know you're the inspiration for Etelka? What a lovely compliment.

Etelka - How nice that you carried on the gardening traditions your father taught you.

Finally...

Happy birthday Carolyn!
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9068637

Hi everyone, I counted and while taking early photos and currently have 27 L overly Clematises up and at em. I thank you all for humoring me on my series of"I know you don't live where I do but, how do you think my clems. are doing??" So bless you for recognizing my love for clematis's. I want to mention my plants that I feel are developing very well for their age and mild winter/spring we have had. 2 ond year strong plants: Evipo: Josephine,must have 20 shoots, and a dozen small flower buds(she must be crazy!) Henryii, my favorite of all. Mrs. Bateman an is also throwing many shoots and also a dozen or more flower buds. Mrs Bateman looks like she may have a smaller more delicate growth size than many, I have never seen her as a mature plant. I also want to share an off topic moment and share a few of my pictures of this years Hellebore s. I hope you are all enjoying your gardens. Lee Sherwood McDonald

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP   Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP   Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP   Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP

timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

April 3, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9068668

Pirl you hit the nail on the head. Etelka y ou and I are both carrying on the traditions of our fathers. He too was my inspiration and I have a number of plants in my garden which are there that he had . I also was inspired by Bill Graham who was the nurseryman I worked for.

John
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9068698

Lovely hellebores, Lee. I have two in bloom but I'd have to get out early to get photos or they're in shade.

John - my dad was in charge of feeding the roses but my mom was the vegetable gardener when I was tiny. I still recall the smell when my dad would make the manure tea for the roses. Even the term "manure tea" makes me smile as I think of when he first told me what it was. I wanted no part of it but he explained the roses loved it.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9068873

The year my father found out he had cancer, he planted 100 bushes of roses. He took care of them for 9 years, just like nothing was going on. My sister said when he could not go out to his "ranch" she knew that he was very sick. He died in 1988, The roses are gone now, but on his ranch my sister said his daffodils are still blooming under the walnut tree. When I go home to visit always go in Summer and I have never seen them. I do believe he is with me in my garden and enjoying my flowers.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2012
7:57 PM

Post #9068892

Lee, I'm glad that you made it back to your home safely. Sorry to hear about your CHF, and please continue to make a smooth recovery. I'm also glad that most of your clematis are doing well. Your hellebores are also lovely. I have several different colored hellebores which have been blooming most of this winter. Apparently they have also been pollinated and dropped seeds, because I have a few babies coming up.

I have one comment about Niobe, mine is now over 4ft. tall, and has several buds, and it's planted in mostly shade, and seems to like it. I'm going to try layering this year to get more stems, I really do like it's color.

Etelka, that picture on John's trellis is definitely inspiring, and makes me also wish that I had a few roses like that with such good growth.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 4, 2012
4:18 AM

Post #9069121

I was out checking for more vole/moles holes to put poison in and low and behold I found a Clem growing that I thought they had killed last year. One lonely little vine coming up. I will have to get it moved to a better place and some food placed with it. I guess they are pretty sturdy.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9069170

Etelka - You inherited your father's determination to persevere and that's a blessing. I also feel my parents are watching over me in the garden and when I move a plant 3" to the left or right I feel it's my mother helping me.

Annette - That's a great idea with layering the Niobe. We should all remember that as we check our clem's.

Marie - How exciting to find a clem you thought was a goner! Any idea which one it might be? When you do move it you might want to give it a big drink of Epsom salt.
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9069757

Hi Kiseta and everyone, Kiseta thanks for mentioning your recollections of your dad and you sharing the garden love. You sure got everyone reminiscing about their childhoods and folks who helped them develop their love of gardening and each other. My loving gardener relative was my Grandmother (father side)She watched me and my slightly younger cousin Janice after school as both of our moms worked. I came home from grade school one day and Grandma was crying softly, I asked her what was wrong, she said, I cant see good enough to water my flowers any more and some of them are dying. She talked to me about how to go about it, and not only did we share these learning and loving times but, I do believe in addition, the sweet wet soil smell and watching them do well and Grandma telling all the ladies at meetings at her house about my learning (he has special gardening gifts..I don't know what I would do with out him and on and on) Thanks everybody. Be back soon. Lee Sherwood McDonald
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9069779

I love stories like that, Lee.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9070278

Everyone's stories are wonderful, but Lee, when I read yours it brought tears to my eyes. I'm so glad that we all have someone that inspired us to start gardening. The person that got me playing in dirt was my mother, and she was the one that was adventurous, and would try to grow everything. We still send each other pictures of our bloomng plants, and we just have the best time talking about them. She's even on DG periodically getting ideas for her rose garden, LOL. I turned her on to DG last year.

I wanted to share my Niobe, which I found blooming when I came home from work today. Between the watering with the garden hose that I did on Sunday because it was so dry, and the rain we've had this week, it's really stimulated the clemies to grow. I present Niobe with it's first open bloom, with a few more to come. What a surprise this was this evening.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9070280

Crystal Fountain also bloomed today, with many more blooms to open

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9070285

Jackmanii is also blooming, pardon the color, I couldn't capture its's true color for some reason. Here is an open bloom and one soon to open.

I can't believe that I have Fireworks, Pink Champagne, Omoshiro, Mrs. C, Miguel Viso, Crystal Fountain, and Niobe all blooming at the same time, and all so early. I also got the email that the clematis ordered from Brushwood had been shipped, and would be here this weekend.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9070311

The tag that I found for Niobe says part sun-morning sunlight only, and average size 15'x7'. In the words of Scooby Doo " Ruut Rhooo", LOL. Will I see this in my lifetime?
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #9070441

I have bought some that say morning sun also, but are in an area that gets morning ,afternoon and then shade. They seem to do better.
I had a question. If I have bought Clems in the fall form the big box store on sale, are they most likely group 3's?
They never tell you on the tag.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9070482

Nice debut for Niobe and Crystal Fountain as well as Jackmanii, Annette. The color of Jackmanii seems to change a bit but the sun also makes a difference for the camera. The first blooms sometimes look differently from what we see through the rest of bloom time.

Marie - big box stores sell more type 2 than any other. You'll have to wait for it to bloom, take a photo and we should be able to find an answer.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #9070485

Since it is really too early for them to bloom, I have been pinching back the new growth, is that a good thing or should I let them go. I am still learning, but it is paying off with all this good information. You all got me hooked,so now you have to put up with all my questions...lol
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9070503

Pinching is good! Wait until they develop two leaf sets and pinch. Repeat for as long as it grows...if you can keep up with it along with a job, a home and other plants in your garden. Remember the Epsom Salt drink and the mulch.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9070709

Anticipation!!

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9070745

Duchess of Edinburgh? Enjoy it.
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9071142

Hello everyone , Thank you for your wishes and concerns for my health and want you to know I am happy for any day I just need to not to become overly tired. I am always finding and enjoying ways of gardening easier and slower basically, unlearning 55 years of gardening, I do believe it is all from god's love.
CLEM 9165- Thanks for sharing the pics of so many of your plants that bloomed so early! I particularly enjoyed the pics. of c. Niobe...maybe I will print the pics out and glue them to my fence so I can remember what they look like! 2. When I was down on H.H. island this winter I noticed a small tree much used in landscaping, no one I asked there knew what it was but, they didn't garden. The trees were between 6 and 20 feet tall. The base color of the trunk is white and then scattered fairly small patches of grey of light green. The foliage is elongate and a fairly dark waxy green. In Feb. and March it bore arched racemes of red berries. All in all a very lovely tree well placed to gaze upon while my wife tried to outspend the Sheikh of Araby! L.S.M.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9071233

You're so welcome Lee, and LOL about the DW spending, she was doing retail therapy :~) I wonder what kind of tree that was that you saw while recuperating? I wonder if anyone from the midsouth forum can help with an ID?

Here are a few more blooms from today. Miguel Viso is putting on a show, Omoshiro just continues to get prettier, and the Bowl of Beauty peony opened up some blooms, so Mrs. C is not to be outdone. Annette

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9071253

I forgot to add in my above post that Duchess of Albany is also starting to bloom. It's planted on the column behind the BoB peonies, I love it when they bloom together.

Thumbnail by Cem9165

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9071301

I'm clearly a ditz, I also forgot to post that Liberation arrived from Brushwood today, with another email today stating the other clematis had been shipped. When I opened the box, I was surprised to find it blooming.

Thumbnail by Cem9165

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2012
10:48 PM

Post #9071484

Now I know this is a clem forum but...I have a question...Has anyone grown Dicentra scandens (yellow bleeding heart vine). I received mine from Select Seeds todays and am excited to see it do it's thing this summer, YEAH!!!! I hope it overwinters here in my Z5 ( now been moved to Z6) garden!!! Any experiences? Please share. Kathy.

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9071825

This is my Montana, as you can see it is growing mostly on one tall stem. I have been pinching it back on that stem. Should I just cut it back farther to get more of a root system going?

Thumbnail by marie_kap

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9071885

Great shots, Annette. I'm so glad you're so happy with Omo (as I call it) and I think you'll love Liberation. A blooming package sure excites the soul.

Haven't had the plant you mentioned, Kathy. Sorry!

Marie - aren't there more stems I see at the bottom? I'd leave it be. By next year and surely by 2014 you may find it overwhelming. Give it some Epsom Salt and mulch well. More and more new stems should pop up. I had to stop feeding mine permanently by year three when it got so massive. The bottom of the "stems" are like hydrangea paniculata trees. I'll try and get a photo today.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9072087

Something new every day. Today I have noticed the somthing is nibbleing my clems flowers, mostly the bottom ones. Could it be slugs, or something that I have not seen yet. Also my poor Rebecca, first bloomes and she got chewed on. Does anybody have some solutinon, Thanks, Etelka

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9072092

Could be slugs or maybe earwigs.

This product controls both pests:

Thumbnail by pirl

timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

April 6, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9072441

This is the firs bloom from one of my seedlings 3 years ago. It is drastically different from the others that have bloomed so far.

Thumbnail by timeinabottle

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9072445

John - congratulations! That's a beauty and reminds me of Multi Blue. What colors were the others?
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

April 6, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9072571

I have a number that have yet to first bloom. So far the rest have been an off blue. Its hard to describe . I will post pics as they bloom.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9072813

We'll be looking forward to them.
bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9072889

There is alot to catchup up with all you chatty clem lovers! Heartwarming stories. It makes gardening that much more special!
It is amazing that so many clems are blooming up in northern zones.
I can't believe your clems have so many shoots. Lee. I also wish you good health.
John, that seedling is gorgeous. It has been a blue blooming week for me:Arabella, durandii and Petit Facon all bloomed.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9073259

To all the gardeners that are Christians, Happy Easter to all. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9073491

Thank you, Etelka. Your greeting is welcome and beautiful. Happy Easter and/or Passover to all.

Marie - I finally got photos of the stems of montana Grandiflora for you. They are huge.

JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 7, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9073499

Good grief ! Those montana stems are ginormous !!!

My clems aren't as big as everyone else's but here are first blooms on Maria Louise Jensen (courtesy of pirl :)) and HFYoung. HFYoung will hopefully grow up through the pink Fame rose you can see in the upper right of the photo.

This message was edited Apr 7, 2012 5:14 PM

Thumbnail by JasperDale   Thumbnail by JasperDale

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9073554

That Marie Louise Jensen is so gorgeous. I love HF Young with that rose. You're so good at color harmony!
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 7, 2012
9:15 PM

Post #9073675

That's ONLY because I had a good mentor !
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9073857

Ha!

Happy Easter!

Thumbnail by pirl

GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9074061

Hey Pirl, Your Easter day greeting is just ducky, Ha.
WHAT IS EVERYONE'S OPINION ON USING OSMOCOTE FERTILIZER FOR CLEMATIS? I am concerned that releasing nutrients while the majority of repeat and summer blooming types are busy setting buds.I know that we are warned against applications of chemical and fast release types at bud set.. I don't have an opinion. whats yours!!? Lee Sherwood mcDonald
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9074191

Glad you noticed, Lee!

I have the Osmocote and have heard not to feed them when they are in bud. Generally the most the clematises can expect from me is manure, compost, bone meal and Epsom Salt in spring. I doubt if I've ever fed them other than February/March. It's just a matter of many things to be done - same as all gardeners, so the extra feeding falls to the bottom of the list.
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

April 9, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9075227

More seedlings. This is the one next to the purple one

timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

April 9, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9075236

On the other side

timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

April 9, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9075241

On the fence next to neightbor

timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

April 9, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9075252

This is what I meant to send. It is almost pink

timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

April 9, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9075256

Another one on the fence

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9075257

Beautiful, John. How do you grow them from seed? Does the seed have to be fresh? We could all learn from you.
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

April 9, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9075259

The last one for today again on the fence. This one is very large. The others are generally small. perhaps 3inches.

GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9075380

Hi everyone,
Pirl, I think I will forgo the OSMOCOTE and use the manure Epsom, alfalfa and bone meal feeding.
John, Such a nice thing you have done! You have to be intrigued watching the new flowers open and I bet some will change and likely stabilize flower types as the season goes on. Keep that Camera klicking for us !! Lee Sherwood McDonald
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9075403

Maybe I'll try the Osmocote I have on a clem just to see if it works, Lee.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #9076507

Nice seedlings John, they look wonderful.

LSM, I have followed pirl's advice for the clematis starting last year, and it's made a big difference in the plants. Niobe is full of buds, and it compliments this deeply colored shrimp plant that it's planted behind on the fence.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9076508

Fireworks keeps putting on the blooms.

Thumbnail by Cem9165

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9076512

Crystal Fountain also continues to bloom, and has a lot of buds at the base of the plant, some of them hiding, LOL.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2012
9:12 PM

Post #9076514

Patricia Ann Fretwell is also starting to bloom but no doubles yet, the first picture is from this weekend, the second today.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2012
9:13 PM

Post #9076516

Duchess of Albany.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 9, 2012
9:17 PM

Post #9076518

These are the new clemies from Brushwood. I've got to get these planted this weekend. I got Liberation as mentioned above, Arabella, John Warren, Otto Froebel, Durandii, and Daniel Deronda.

Thumbnail by Cem9165

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 10, 2012
4:23 AM

Post #9076615

I had to refrain myself this weekend. I saw so many that I do not have. But I am running out of space and proper spots, unless I put them almost side by side.
Oh,,, but they were so pretty. I could do pots...lol
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #9076623

Annette

I have Durandii - you will just love that one. The color is amazing and like no other color in the garden.

Marie - I have some of my clematis side by side. I love it when the colors intermingle. I think they set each other off. I put Nagritanka with Comtesse Bouchard. I really love the deep dusky purple with the delicate pink. The only thing I really tried to do was to keep like pruning groups with like pruning groups.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9076804

Annette - Lovely clem's! I'm anxious to see our Patricia Ann Fretwell and also Crystal Fountain. Those new clem's from Brushwood look fantastic, as usual.

I just moved the layered Duchess of Albany to a new spot, next to Liberation. I hope they go well together.

Marie - I have many together in some spots: 9 on the fireplace wall, 5 on the obelisk, 4 in another spot, and most have a partner in beauty - very few are just one clematis to a spot.. As Carolyn mentioned, it's just easier to keep the same pruning groups together.

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9076807

Lee - yesterday I did give the three clem's in a barrel the Osmocote. I seriously doubt it can do harm and none are in bud.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9076933

Oh! Such pretties...My Clems are barely peeking above the ground, one isn't even doing that. I do have one Iris I was given last year with a bud that will bloom in the next few days.
roseycats
Dayton, OH

April 10, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9077236

I've had flower buds on most of my clematis for at least the last two weeks, and I'm afraid they might not flower, since it's been so cold here in Ohio.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9077567

My hunch is that they will open. It's nature's way.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 10, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9077784

Oh no, you have just busted my refrain. I will be on the hunt again for more beauty's.

I have so many buds I cant wait till they open. I will be posting pics also.

Still cant find the granulated manure like I did in the fall, but I did find the dehydrated manure, that will be going down this weekend.
The cooler weather has slowed some growth here also, but I am sure one it gets warm again they will go hog wild.
urbanveggies412
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9077793

In terms of sunlight, how much do these need and is direct or indirect sun better? How about morning or afternoon sun?
Thanks!
Jake
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2012
1:02 AM

Post #9077964

Hi everyone,
Annette and Pirl- I am going to follow Pirl's feeding regime except I will add OSMOCOTE to my old 'Duchess of Albany' plant that I must move from a distant part of the gardens. I can see two distinct crowns as I prepare to dig. I will add OSMOCOTE to the smaller crown just to see what I see.I also have and love Durandii.
Here is the fertilizer mix I will use I would like your comments if anyone feels I am off base on portions. the ingredients will be applied in a ring around the base and worked in with my fingers. 1 heaped round nose shovel of old stable manure that I have had access to for years. I cup Bone meal, one third cup Epsom salts,and 2 cups of Alfalfa pellets and one half cup of agricultural lime. my p.h. usually runs 5.8.
Every one- Enjoy your gardens and don't over do they will stick around till the next time your there! Lee p.s. Annette You have so many beauties open all ready! I am more than a little jealous! L.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2012
5:40 AM

Post #9078075

Marie - I'm so glad to be of help in acquiring more clem's. Espoma has 20 pound bags of dehydrated manure and it's so easy to use compared to the heavy 40 pound bags I used in the past that were not Espoma. It's not that I think there's magic in the product but ease of use is so nice at my age. Check the price before you buy it!!!

Jake - we're always happy to have another clem lover with us. Welcome! Six hours of sun is preferred and shade for the feet because they want cool roots. You can plant them in either morning or afternoon sun but the more sun the better for the clem. Nelly Moser (among others) can take more shade, and keeps its color much better, with some shade. Plant them deeply (remove any leaves that would end up under the earth) and remember to use a few inches of mulch. Attached is a photo of Nelly Moser taken in the late afternoon. In the morning the left side gets the sun.

Lee - thought of you several times yesterday as I worked on an odd area that has two clem's on a trellis and now quite a few Duchess of Albany clem's (due to layering) under a Tardiva hydrangea that DoA grows through. I used only Osmocote and a lot of our compost for each one, then water. Those two crowns you saw may end up being more than two. It happened to me last year when moving Proteus. It ended up as being five crowns.

Go for it with your feeding idea, Lee. We'll be waiting to hear the results. The only negative I've heard is the Alfalfa IF you have an existing problem with rabbits. They would be attracted to it. Water it in well and be sure to mulch.

I think Annette's photos are so beautiful that we're all a bit jealous but so happy to see them!

Thumbnail by pirl

urbanveggies412
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9078138

Thanks for the info! I have it planted in a fairly shaded spot that does get some sun but maybe not 6 hours unless I hack off some branches from the neighbors tree. hehe :)
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9078171

I don't think they would mind a few branches missing...lol
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9078195

Apologies are easier than asking permission. Bring them some cookies when you apologize!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 11, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9079059

Thanks for the laughs everyone, regarding cutting the neighbor's branches, it made my evening. Soon everyone will have clematis blooms and I'll be the envious one.

Lee, keep us posted with how your fertilizing plan works. I do have to say that I also added rose fertilizer, composted manure, and Epsom salt to my clematis. I'm afraid to use the alfalfa pellets, because I do have rabbits who seem to think that my garden is for their fine dining.

Jake welcome to the clematis forum. These ladies and gentlemen have been wonderful since I started watching and posting here, and I have much better clematis vines to show for it thanks to all the great advice. Annette

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2012
2:06 AM

Post #9080523

WOW everyone in Z7 those clems look great.
I have not been generous to Donohues in the past but was given several of their clems last summer and they are doing well. I will raise my star catagory to 7 out of 10.
Isago is doing the best
I also got Crystal Fountain
Galore
Niobe ( it started good but the cat broke the stem off )there are shoots comming so it not a loss.
Ashva
Moonfleet ( didnt make it )
Petite Faucon

Photos later when the sun comes up.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9080572

Here's pix of clems from Donohues ( first season )

Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9080655

They'd love a drink of Epsom salt right now. One tablespoon to a gallon of warm water should provide new sprouts to all of them. That's not a gallon each - but one gallon spread amongst all your new clem's.

For established clem's anyone can use the same Epsom salt mixture and give each plant either a quart or a gallon.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9080663

Thanks Pirl
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9080672

And don't forget the mulch!
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9080683

Hi Everyone.
ge -nice selection from Danohues ! I have grown a few over the years, most of them did fine and I would blame my gardening skills on the losses! I grew them out in 1 or 2 gallon cans in a cold frame.I noticed that your plant of 'Crystal Fountain' is growing well as a small plant. Mine is second year and is very vigorous.

Speaking of vigor- It might be fun for use to list a list of clematis that are vigorous for us, maybe add exposure and zone? I will start.

Will Goodwyn East new zone 6? Lee S.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9080724

Lee - that would be a great topic for a new thread. This one needs a continuation as it is. Please start one for vigorous or robust clematises. Thanks.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9080729

New thread for chat: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1252200/
bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 14, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9082129

Should the epsom salt be applied to ones with buds/flowers?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9082184

No harm will come if you do it.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9082320

Hah, I have thought that I and my neighbors all have Belle of Woking. But look! Their aren't white. They're light lilac! Besides, mine are finished blooming. Their just a tad later in blooming time.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9082430

Kim - Belle of Woking is a pale silvery lavender in color, which fades to white.

Come join us for more chat at the new thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1252200/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Clematis Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vine fence barrykooda 48 Sep 4, 2009 1:59 PM
Nelly Moser up a crabapple hczone6 11 Mar 29, 2008 3:43 AM
clematis in a pot? anastatia 17 Nov 19, 2010 8:13 AM
Clematis Gardennuttz 7 May 30, 2008 1:01 PM
What are some of your best Clematis? bluegrassmom 69 Dec 28, 2009 11:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America