-
AuthorContent
keithp2012
West Babylon, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9041364

I posted this here because this plant is related to the Turnip.

I ordered Wisconsin Fast Plant seeds as a fun plant to grow they mature really fast! The instructions only say how to grow them inside, but I want to grow mine outside in a pot. I know they suggest temps no lower than 68 F so late April early May I will plant the seeds, plus this plants wild cousin grows here naturally so I know they are tough plants. Do they prefer moist or dry soil, and do they prefer shady or sunny spots?

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9041611

What I find online sugegsted they were closest to wild mustard, so they should not be fussy!

>> they suggest temps no lower than 68 F

Most Brassicas like cool weather, and mustards are hardy MUCH colder than that, so maybe "68 F" is just the temperature at which they grow fastest.

Most Brassicas like moist soil, but mustards (a.k.a. "weeds") are supposed to tolerate almost anything.

I found this:

"based on a variant of wild mustard (Brassica rapa) that was selectively bred to complete its seed to seed life cycle in just five weeks"
and:.
"germination to flowering within two weeks."

They sound like fruit flies or mayflies!

>> The plant is self-incompatible and is, thus, easily out-crossed.

I believe that means that you can't produce another generation from the "Wisconsin fast Plants TM" seeds you bought. (You can ONLY cross them with other Brassica rapa plants, of which there are dozens or hundreds of varieties).

This bothers me, since I don't like the idea of commerical seed "engineered" so that you can't save and re-plant seeds from your own harvest. But I gues this is more of a research tool or classroom demonstrator.

Of course, since they CAN out-cross, they can still mess up a neighbor gardener trying to save his or her Brassica seeds.

keithp2012
West Babylon, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9041735

For seed all you need is 2 plants next to eachother to cross pollinate, do as long as two or more seeds in the pot sprout they should produce seeds.

As for the other information you gave me it is very helpful thank you.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2012
10:17 PM

Post #9041978

Thanks for explaining that! I thoguht when a variety had SI, it took signifcant manipulation to produce fertile seed: like, SI seeds could only be produced by a cross between two fertile strains.

I probably got this mis-impression by reading things like the follwoing, and interpreting "or another plant with a similar genotype" as any other plant of that variety.

I did more reading, and now I see that any cultivar with SI actuall has dozens or hundreds of versions of its "S" gene, so that any one plant can fertilize or be fertilized by some % of the population: 99.5% if there are 200 versions, or 95% if there are 20 versions.

Tricky things, plants!

>> In plants with SI, when a pollen grain produced in a plant reaches a stigma of the same plant or another plant with a similar genotype, the process of pollen germination, pollen tube growth, ovule fertilization, and embryo development is halted at one of its stages, and consequently no seeds are produced
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2012
10:31 PM

Post #9041983

What's SI mean sigh...

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 13, 2012
11:11 PM

Post #9041990

self-incompatible

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America