-
AuthorContent
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9041457

This is the Plant Swap & Chat Thread for those coming to the Spring Swap at Ric & Holly’s on May 19th. Spring is moving in fast so now is the time to start.

HAVE & WANT LISTS, I will have a separate thread just for the lists so they don't get lost in all the chat. You will be able to look at the lists then come here to make requests and chat about your trades.
Have/Want Thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1246746/

Some of you may want to make prearranged swaps and this is where you can arrange them.
Have and Want lists let people know what plants you are interested in, or give you an idea of how much of a particular plant to bring. It also gives you a chance to look up unfamiliar plants people are bringing and see how they would fit into your garden.
It's not necessary to prearrange all your trades, There will be lots of on the spot swapping. Don't hesitate to bring extra plants as there will be friends and family here that do not access DG so I am sure that you won't be taking those extras home with you. You may also find that what you think of as a common plant is on someone’s wish list. So just pot up your extra plants and seedlings, come and enjoy. Holly

This message was edited Mar 13, 2012 6:08 PM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9041632

Yay! THe best thing I've seen all day!
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9041669

I'm looking forward to actually contributing to this swap! :-) I'm about to pot up my wintersown plants so they can be ready for the swap.

I've been having a lot of fun making my own potting mixes. Would anyone be interested in Al (tapla)'s gritty mix for succulents or the 5:1:1 mix?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9041686

A baggie of nice mix is sometimes a nice swap thing. Wrightie brought baggies of alfalfa pellets some years ago. We certainly don't all expect even steven (more like Take my excess please!!) but some people want to have something to give in lieu of lots of plants.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9041719

I love succulents and can always use some succulent mix. I would be glad to have some.
I am hoping to have some bamboo poles here for anyone that would like a few for trellises or other projects, and we have a huge compost pile for anyone that would like to bring a few bags or pails to take some home.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9041832

Thank you for starting the links, Holly!!! This is exciting!!! I am soooo looking forward to the event.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9041853

So are we.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9043805

Would anyone be interested in fertilizers?

I have a small bag of Hollytone, but there is no way I could use all of it before the expiration date.

I also have Bayer All-in-One for roses, for feeding and insect control. I have a big bottle and I think I've used maybe 1 tablespoon of it.

I have some sort of a turf fertilizer as well. If anyone's interested, I'll look up the name.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9044192

Holy---

I need to make 2 fairly tall (5'-6' or so) trellis for a couple Clematis.
I would be interested in some of your bamboo poles. Any directions to making a trellis included?????

Also--was it you, Holly, or "Roses" who was going to root me some "Blushing Susie Vine"?
I still would like to have one. Have the perfect pot to plant it in.
Also some rocks--we all discussed that a while back...

SS--I would not worry about expiration dates on organic, granular fertilizers (your Holytone).
I bet it is still good for several years after the "date"...

Thanks, Gita
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9044265

Oh! I have raspberries!

I have way too many of these right now. I'll dig them up now and pot them up if anyone's interested. They've been cut back, so right now is the best time to handle them. Those thorns are sharp!

Gita, that's good to know about the fertilizers. But that Bayer rose food is still waayyyy too much for me.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9044704

I'd enjoy some Bayer all in one
; ^)
thanks.
I would use it on other flowering plants as well though, and you might.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 16, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9045008

Gita, Sorry no instructions on making your trellises but you can look up some ideas before you come so you make sure you will have what you need. One year I make a very simple on by just tying 3 of them together at the top like a teepee.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9045084

I'd love to try some raspberries,SS. If you can spare some, please let me know and I'll add them to my wants list on the proper thread. Thanks so much!!

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #9045087

Gita, please list your "wants" from me on the proper thread so that I can keep track. Thank you.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9045184

Roses--I just did!

I was not sure whether it was you--or Holly that promised me a start for this vine.
That is why I posted it here...:o)

Gita
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9045856

Sally, the Bayer is yours! I'll keep a little bit for myself, but it's just too much for my beginner's garden. I wish these fertilizers came in smaller bottles.

Roses, I'm so glad you want the raspberries! :-)

They're very nicely established and fruit nicely, but there isn't enough air movement where they're located right now.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9046091

ssg- don't skimp yourself. I use it also on brugmansias, or anything thats bug prone and flowering and not edible to humans.

Roses, I can pot some Heritage raspberries for you.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9046134

Sally and SSgardener, I'll be needing some instruction as to growing the raspberries. Always wanted them and now I'm excited to get them!
'

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9046140

Greenthumb,on the "haves and wants" thread, I requested some of your foxglove if you have any more available. Thank you. Teri
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2012
11:47 AM

Post #9046145

Teri, I have found Finegardening.com to be an excellent source on raspberries!

Here's a wonderful article on how to grow them:

http://www.finegardening.com/plants/articles/reliable-raspberries.aspx

And here's the best pruning video I have found:

http://www.finegardening.com/item/21066/video-how-to-prune-raspberies

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9046202

Roses- mine are Heritage , from the old plants that have been going in my yard for over fifteen years. Far as I can tell they are disease free. They will make new canes from the ground this year and start to bear in july until frost. I'll let you know if I get a good clump+ up for ya. Usually planted in a row, with wires to tie them on at about four feet off the ground.

ss, need any more variegated liriope? I have more dug.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9046258

Roses---

I will have Foxgloves as well. Potted up a whole tray of them. They seed and spread so easily.
Because they both of mine grew side-by-side---They will be either Rose/deep pink--or white.

See my "Haves" list... Gita
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 17, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9046394

Boy, I have a ton of baby Hellebores coming up.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9046453

Sally, yes! I'd love some variegated liriope!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9046458

Holly--

Could you post a picture of what newly sprouted hellebore plants look like?

Some of mine are getting on in years. I know there must be offshoots--I just do not know what to look for.
Everything is always buried under leaves...

Thanks, Gita

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9047992

Hi guys, just saw you're having a swap again. We'll check our schedules...we would love to try and come! Holly, the black pussy willow from a few years ago is blooming now - first time!!! So excited to finally have one getting established. Now I'd love to grow a pw with the giant catkins. I'll be back in touch

Thumbnail by wind

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9048345

Sally and SSgardener, Thanks for the great feedback on the raspberry plants. Really looking forward to them.

Holly, if you have any extra hellebores, I would love to try some again. Haven't been successful with the ones that I purchased a few years ago and I'd like to try some grown in a climate similar to mine.

Gita, I would be so happy to see those foxgloves growing in my garden!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9049003

Roses---
You can put in a request on the haves/Wants Thread as to how many you would like to have..
So far--I have 22 4" pots that I dug up and potted up. Since the white and the Rose ones were so close to each other--
I cannot say which seedling is which. They are both beautiful.

Here are the two colors I have. The pink may be a bit lighter on some of these.. More like--rose color...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9049004

Maybe--more like this one...most likely.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9049012

Gita, I got foxgloves from you last year. THose little babies are now HUGE, can't wait to see the blooms!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9049047

Yes! They can grow to be 4' tall--or something. need to be staked!

Here are my neighbor's two stately spikes--SOOOO beautiful!!!!
And--2nd picture--after the storms we all had in June of 2011. NEED to stake these tall spikes!!

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal
Click an image for an enlarged view.

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 19, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9049086

Gita, Here is a picture of the Hellebore seedlings, they don't have their true leaves yet. So they don't look much different than many other plants at this stage. I just know what they are because of the location. They are growing right under several of my Hellebore plants.
Wind sure hope you will beable to come to the swap. That Black Pussywillow sure looks good. There should be more of those at this years swap.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9049107

Gita, I'd like a holiday cactus and a Dr. Seuss brug, please!

Roses, I just saw that you'd requested Sedum angelina. You're going to love these! Absolutely the best looking sedum in my teeny rock garden.

Kubileya, I'd love that Dragon fruit cactus!

Holly, I'd love some hellebores!

I've been trying to grow Heucherella Stoplight, but they're not doing well in my garden. I was told that it might be the heat/humidity here, but they don't look as pretty as the pictures I see on line. Would anyone else like to try growing these? I have two. I'd love a different heuchera/tiarella to try, preferably a light colored one.

I just added sedum ogon on my haves list. It has a gorgeous light green color.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9049261

SS--

I will have a lot of Holiday cactus.
The colors I have for sure are: Fuchsia&white--Red--and Salmon

I will put you down. Which one? There will be a lot to pick from. They are small...

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9049273

ssg! Can I have even a tiny piece of ogon sedum? Most of them grow nad root like crazy so it doesn't have top be big.

Would you like some sedum Blue Spruce? Or have I given you some before?
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9049275

Gita, small is perfect, because I only have a small basket for hanging them! :-)

I don't know enough about holiday cacti to pick a color... I guess the fuchsia/white one?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9049297

SS--By small--I mean SMALL!

look here...However--they are all rooted and growing...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9049302

Holly--

How big will your white Bicopas be?
I would like a couple...

Same question re your Dragon Wing Begonias...I did not root any from last year.

I may also have some Wandering Jew cuttings. Just have to pinch them and out them in water.
Would love some.

Thanks--Gita
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 19, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9049378

SS, I have some Helles for you I would love some sedum ogon
Sally could I have a bit of the Blue Spruce sedum
Gita, the Bacopa & Begonias will be pretty small, they are part of my plug order that is coming in next week.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 19, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9049389

Gita, Roses-R-Red is the one with the Blushing Susie VIne. Just realized that I didn't answer that question.

Just so you all know the Hellebores will be very little, but there are a lot of them.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9049397

Sallyg and HollyAnn, I have set aside the sedum ogon for you. You'll love it! I have one more left.

Holly, I'm so excited about the hellebores!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9049509

Holly---

I looked at my Hellebores today and i do not see any seedlings like you posted. How come????
My oldest Hellebore--the whitish one--is several years old...Maybe 8 or 10? Time flies--so it is hard to judge...

Could it be that I cut off the flowers when they are faded and done????

Plugs of anything is good! Better than just dug up ones from the garden.
I will take some...

I added a few things to my "haves" list tonight. Everyone--please take a look...
Besides the Dr. Seuss brug--I also have the deep pink NOID. I have a few available...

Gosh! This is getting exciting!!!!!

For those of you who did not come to the seed swap---please look at my Trade list.
I have close to 60 different seeds--and will gladly share any.

Just finished watching the first show of "Dancing With the Stars"...It was the best EVER!!!!
How often has anyone gotten "9's" in the first show!!! looks like a great season coming up.

Sorry!!! I know this has nothing to do with the Plant Swap...Ignore my comments...

Gita
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 19, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9049527

Gita, I'd like one of the deep pink Noid Brugs. Please
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9049831

Okay, I have always had difficulty asking for anything, but here goes. I also haven't listed anything that I may have yet, so be patient with me.

Foxgloves and cactus and a brug if it hasn't taken over your house before the swap heehee

Hellebore and a dragon wing begonia

I need to check what else I would like.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #9049845

SS, I would like some sedum ogon also, if you have any more.
Kubileya
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9049875

SSGardener - Got you down for the Dragon Fruit.

Gita - I would love a Dr. Seuss brug.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9049927

Holly--You got it!--Pink Brug
Kubileya--You got it too. Dr. Seuss Brug

***NOTE!
I only have 2 Dr. Seuss Brugs left. One of then is growing sideways...could be corrected by planting it straight.
I have 2-NOID pink Brugs left. One of these two has grown quite tall, but seems to now have a "dead end"
at the growing tip. Odd! I have no idea why? I do see signs of side growth, though. This one is quite robust...

Jan---Which brug do you want? See just above...
If you have not seen the colors--let me know---I have posted them many times...

SS--You may want at least 3 Holiday cactus to live in your HB. I will have plenty to choose from.

Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9049941

***Note!

All people asking me for a Brug will have a 2-page primer I have put together for all-season care
of Brugmansias. It will be in a small zip-baggie attached to the pot.

It will help you a lot if you have never grown one. They are tough! But the whole digging-up and bringing it inside--
you may need some help and ideas to make it easier.

These rooted, growing cuttings will be small 'trees" in 2 years...

This is the NOID pink.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9050063

I just seeded my seeds 2 days ago. Soooo late this year! Or, does it just seem that way
because of the warm weather we are having?

Depending on what sprouts and grows well--I may have all kinds if different plants to share yet.
It will be the long "waiting game'...

I may also have some 1yr. old Wintersweet seedlings available in 4" pots. Maybe 4 or 5.
They do not have true leaves yet--as they are deciduous. Just the cotyledons above ground.

Have to also, yet, start my single divisions of cannas. I have two varieties this year.
Will try to get to it sometimes this week.

Always such a crunch time this time of year.
Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9050070

Here is the Dr. Seuss in September of last year.

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9050340

Gita, a Dr. Seuss please.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9050589

Jan--
Those pictures got you! Huh? I would fall for that as well...

That leaves--ONE Dr. available...and I thought I was not able to get rid of them all!
Been giving these away at work to whomever wanted some.
G.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9050684

Gita, please put me down for some of your foxgloves. Thanks so much!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9050751

Roses--you are on my list...

Do you have any idea how many you would like to have? It would help to keep track.

Gita
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9050767

Holly, how big is the blue agave houseplant? I'm interested, as long it's not too big. I'm also interested in the sweet woodruff. And do you have any more Dragon Wing begonias left?

Gita, I'd like a purple oxalis.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2012
2:13 AM

Post #9051012

Can you spare 2 of them, Gita?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2012

Post #9051137

SS--You got it!

Roses--Ok on your request as well. Are you asking for two Oxalis? Or just one? Not clear...
If one--there will be plenty of little corms to make a second pot from.
They multiply quickly...

I have to divide the pot of Oxalis Sally ("donner") gave me last year.
I know it is full of those little corms. Another project to add to my list...Whaaaa...

Jan--Just a reminder---that I also marked one of the Nandinas for you. That leaves two...

...Just thinking...I may be digging up my two Astilbes. Lots of off-shoots there as well.
Not sure yet--but it is not doing anything where it is...Will let you all know...Don't ask me yet!

Another note: None of you have asked me for the Brazilian Plume Flower. I have 12 divisions potted up.
Maybe you all need to see a picture of it???...:o}

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9051146

What a beautiful plant, Gita. I'd love to have one of the divisions of the Brazilian Plume Flower.
Pat

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9051187

Pat---Will do!
This one likes to grow in a shaded area. Kind of deceiving...looking at the blooms.

SallyG--could I have some of your blue, creeping Flox?? Please...

SS--What kind of a Turf Fertilizer is it that you have? I may be interested...

Here are a couple pictures of the Chrysanthemum Pacificum.

It is grown, mostly, for its leaves, which are a dull green and dusty silver underneath.
This plant is, kind of, a ground cover. Grows about 10" high. Very hardy and spreads nicely.
Sections can be easily dug up and propagated. Perennial. Disease-free. Drought tolerant.
Blooms in October with insignificant, little bloom-clusters with yellow, tansy-like blooms. Size of an M&M candy.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9051200

Gita, I would love some divisions of the Brazilian Plume Flower now that I have seen them!! I haven't asked for any Oxalis, Gita, but I will take some if you have extra.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9051222

Yep, Gita, that picture got me. Heehee. Thank you for the nandina. If no one else wants any I would like the other two, but I don't want to be greedy. ;)

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9051291

I have not really read anyone's have list much yet.

Gita YES blue phlox

Gita Brazilian Plume pleeze? Would love to try it here.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9051356

Sally--You got it!

See? All it takes is posting some nice pictures...G.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9051387

tee hee!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9051515

Pictures, eh?
My yellow iris, I could bring 2 or 3 worth.

How about prickly pear- a large one, pads the size of a saucer to salad plate.

I can always share this hardy geranium- it roots so easily and spreads out neatly into a mound and is almost evergreen.

Thumbnail by sallyg   Thumbnail by sallyg   Thumbnail by sallyg

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9051670

Oh Gita, Do you have a Brazilian for me?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9051813

Holly -- you have bamboo poles? Guess I need to check the "haves" lists, LOL, but I'd love to set up a couple of teepees for pole beans this year... bamboo is probably easier to work with than willow prunings! I'd also love some hellebore babies. BTW, your black willow cuttings all seem to be rooting well! Hopefully I'll have some "heirloom lavender pussy willow" cuttings (from the Philly Flower Show) to share if they "take"... I've got some other cuttings that I'll wait to list until I know whether or not they've rooted.

Gita, that Brazilian Plume Flower is really something! PF says it will do fine (better, in fact) in part shade, so it might like our front porch. Do you bring the whole plant inside for the winter, or do you just take cuttings for the next year?
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9051838

Yes Jill, I will have bamboo poles. I will put you down for Helle babies also.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9051943

Holly--Of course I have a Brazilian Plume for you!!!! How about TWO!
After all--You ARE the hostess of this lovely event. You get 'special" treatment...

Jill,
I was also surprised to read in PF that this beautiful, flowering plant likes shade. Doesn't seem to go together???
I love reading all the member comments on the plant in PF. That is where you really learn about that plant.
Opinions from around the World...
SO, Jill! Are you asking for one???? Huh? Huh??? Yes? Let me know...

I do bring the whole plant in for the winter. Continue reading...

Learned this the hard way, when in 2010 the wind blew the whole pot
(as in the middle picture above) off of the table and every branch broke off to near the base. it is a woody-type of a plant...so!
I threw all the pieces away! Stupid me! But--i did not know how beneficial that accident could have been.

It started re-growing already in the house that winter--and when I put it outside, It grew in a really full plant.
It bloomed so-so, but well enough, BUT!!! I did not know it liked shade! IOt just was not all that happy in the sun.
Now I do. This summer--it will go in dappled shade. And--in the fall--I shall cut it back again.
Wheeeee...The next big thing!

Anyway--before bringing it in this last fall--I took the snipers and cut every branch back to about 4".
Not wanting to bother with small pots and soil--I stuck all the cut off branch tips in the same pot--
all around the perimeter. Just for fun...Well! They ALL rooted!

This spring, I took out the mama plant, removed all the babies, potted them up and re-potted Mama in fresh soil
and a bigger pot. Can't wait to see what she will look like this summer!

These are the cuttings I am offering. They are a bit spindly, but all the leaves are green. They are growing.
I do not know if they will bloom this summer or not. I hope they do! Even if only one bloom.

Meanwhile--I recommend that you all read up on this plant. Knowledge is power!

FYI--I bought the original plant a few years ago at Rawlings Conservatory. The sell all kinds of rooted plants.
I no longer go there--but when I still dropped by, now and then, I cannot say I saw any more for sale...

SO! That's my story! Hope it helps all of you that will be growing this for the first time.

Gita

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9051973

Holly, if there are more bamboo poles available, I would like to use them "teepee style" too. I have lots of new clematis coming my way.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9052037

Ok Roses.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9052090

Oh gosh, yes, I forgot about needing more clematis supports! LOL, I think we will make teepees this year for pole beans and next year use them for the clems that we're gettign this spring... clematis don't do much for me the first year or two, but then they take off. I think I may end up leaving some of them to just ramble around the bed, too.

Holly, thanks so much for the bamboo poles. I'll find you something special!

Gita, yes please I'd really love a start of your Brazilian Plume plant if you still have an available one! If you have an extra curly spider baby, I could use one for a neighbor... I had to cut mine back again this winter when its spiders (but thankfully not the main plant) got bugs. If you don't have any going at present, no worries, mine will have spiders again soon I'm sure. Thank you!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9052142

Jill-
I have enough of the Brazilian plumes----Will put one aside for you. Had a good number to start with .
I also have several Curly Spiders . Will put the best one aside for you. It is draping so nicely. EG--the oldest one.
About a year old now...
"Newbies" coming along as well. They are so fragile! So many of the "spiders" fall off if you just touch them too hard.

I think my current Curly Spider HB needs to be separated--split in 1/3rds. Re-potted in new HB's in clean potting Mix and such.
The original HB is getting too sprawly--too old---etc...You know how older Spiders can get...

My Curly Spider Plant is still from the two spider babies I picked off your HB, Jill--WHEN????
AHHH...The first Plant swap you ever held...I think there were about 10 of us there????
Bec (?) was mixing margaritas?..or whatever... They were all very yummy!
We were having a good old time...hic...burp...

As my request list grows-----How many "edits" is one allowed to the same Post???? Need to know???.

Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9052157

ooh, Gita, thank you... maybe i will give my old one away LOL and put your new one in Joyanna's room... she thinks the little poofy spiders are "sooo super cute!"

Oh, and for any plant swap newbies, here you see one of the best things about sharing your favorite plants... if you later lose the one you have, chances are good you can get it started again from one that you shared!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #9053712

Jill,

I will be glad to pot up the "poofy spiders" for Joyanna's room for you.
What size pot? or--a 6" HB?

Let me know...gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9053716

SSgardener----

maybe you missed my question on one of your "haves"?

I was asking what kind of a turf fertilizer do you have. Is it one of the "Scotts" formulations?
Espoma?
Since I fertilize my own lawn--I may be interested...if I can use what you have.

Thanks, Gita
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9053736

Gita, I did miss the question! I need to go out there and write down exactly what it says. I'll do that later today and get back to you.

HollyAnn, is the sweet woodruff still available?
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9054017

Yes, I will put you on the list.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9054464

Gita, it's a small bag of Scott's Turf Builder with Plus 2 Weed Control

http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/productTemplate.jsp?proId=prod100064&itemId=cat50044

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9054476

SS-

Thank you--but i will pass on this. If it was step #3--"Turf Builder plus Insect Control"--I would have taken it.

The one you have is the "Scotts Turf Builder Plus 2" which is the feeding (Turf Builder) plus weed control.
This would be the 2nd step in their 4-step program. It is usually applied around Memorial Day.

To me--there is no need to fertilize my lawn 4 times a year. My lawn is lush enough!
I do a Spring feeding (with Millorganite) and, maybe, the 3rd step--around 4th of July,
to feed the dessicated lawn a bit and to kill all the insects, ticks and chiggers and fleas in the lawn.

A late fall ("Winterizer") is also good--but I have a good lawn and do not do that one.

edited to add--that this "small bag" (treats a 500sf area) sells for about $18 at HD.

Thank you for the offer. Gita

This message was edited Mar 23, 2012 7:21 PM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9054495

I spent 5 hours today weeding and digging--then got tired and did some sit-down work.
After all that digging and finding pots to pot everything I dug away, mixing up 3 lg. boxes of good soil
to plant them all in--that took about 3 hours.

SO! Soon i will update my "Haves" list to include more plants...I may have to rent a truck!!!!

Just as a preliminary----I will add:

--Northern Sea Oats. They are still popping up everywhere...
--Some Clustered VA Bluebells
--Pink Evening Primrose (a kind of ground cover)
--Some off-shoot bundles of my Astilbes (don't remember the color). Should know by May 19th.
--Have several rooted and growing starts of "Endless Summer Hydrangea"
--Autumn Sedum (pink)
--Trailing Vinca Vine (I may keep these. Not sure).

Well! Wait until I list them on my "haves" so I know exactly how many of each I have...

Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2012
8:45 PM

Post #9054721

Sally, I'm happy to report that the hardy geranium you shared with me last year made it through the (mild!) winter just fine. :-) It's fun to see all the things popping up "out there" this week. I think I saw a wine-red daylily on your "haves" list... I would love to try it! BTW, do you have a spot for another siberian iris this fall? If so, I know just the one and will add it to my Snowpeak order (those clumps are all going to be big enough to split/share!).

Holly, if I could get another comfrey plant, I'd like to try again to get it established here.

Gita, I would love a start of your 'Endless Summer' hydrangea and maybe also an astilbe if you have enough to go around... I finally have some semi-shade areas ready to plant! Joyanna already has a couple of pots on her windowsill, so the curly spider could go on top of her dresser (gets good light near the window), but I think you may have a good idea with putting it into a little hanging basket... I've been meaning to put up a ceiling hook for her anyway (I even have the hook & butterfly bolt). She's very good about keeping "her" plants watered (she has also taken charge of several plants in the upstairs bathrooms).

If anybody wants some (dis)Obedient Plant, it's coming up gangbusters this spring. It's "obedient" in the vase (stems stay put when you bend them) but not so much in the garden... but it's shallow rooted and easy to pull when the clump gets too big, so I don't really consider it a thug.

I also have a good bit of variegated vinca major... it seems a *bit* better behaved than the all-green one, but it's spread pretty well along the basement stairwell wall, starting with just a couple of scraps 3 years ago. If anybody wants some, I can just pull it and bag it the day before the swap, and you can divide it up into as many little pots as you like.

All the cuttings I took are still alive-looking! The Zepherin Drouhine climbing rose cuttings I stuck in Feb. definitely look good -- new growth, so I'm pretty sure they're getting good roots. It's one of the toughest roses I've come across, nearly thornless, sweet scent, and it's the only rose I know of that will bloom in part shade (is said to do fine on the north side of a house!).

OH, and speaking of cuttings... please let me know if you want Crooked Willow cuttings... I stuck a couple "just in case," but this is still a really good time to take cuttings, and I can stick some in water. I can also just cut some if people want them for flower arrangements.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2012
2:54 AM

Post #9054830

Critter, I have a small full shade area where literally everything I've planted has died. I think it's due to multiple creatures that dig in that area. I'd love to try that variegated vinca to see if it'll survive there!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9054942

ssgardner, We have varigated vinca major growing on the south side of the house, it over winters there just fine. We also use it on the north side, where it grows just fine in the shade but usually freezes out. Depending on how temperate or protected your shade area is it may do OK, it is sold as an annual in our zone most of the time. I believe our "bed" actually got started from dumping some containers there. LOL Ric
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 24, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9055119

Wow...lots of talk already and I am just finding you guys. I was so happy to see that Wind and Kubileya will be attending the swap. Always good to see folks I haven't seen in a while. What fun the day will be!!!

Sounds as though everyone has lots to share. We will have to get a list ready and get it posted.

Gonna go and check the other swap threads. Thank you once again to Ric and Holly for hosting again. Can't wait to see your greenhouse.

Ruby
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 24, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9055156

Wow...just read the have lists and am just amazed at the variety of plants being offered. Sure does beat paying a nursery for some of these lovelies.

These are my requests and I realize that some may already be spoken for in terms of what you folks have to offer, so no biggie if I am late making a request and they have already been spoken for.

Sally - I would like to have some Woodland Poppy, the Yellow Iris and some varigated Liriope

Holly - Another Woodland Poppy if you don't mind

Ssgardener - a Russells Lupine please

Donnerville - yet another Streptocarpus if you have any left over

Gita - I would love to have more Swedish Ivy rootings, A Brazilian Plune Flower if all are not spoken for, Purple Oxalis please and if you have anything thing else left over at the end of the day, I will gladly give it a good home. Thank you.

RosesRRed - I would love to have a Caryopteris if you still have any.

That is it for now. I will try getting a list of things together that we will be offering soon and post it.

Really looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Ruby

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9055365

SSG, I will dig up some joe pye weed for you if it has survived my heavy handed transplant last year. So far no signs of growth from this plant :-( I do not remember if it is one of those that sprout late in the spring, like the hardy hibiscus. Keep my fingers crossed.

Can I have some of your lupine babies if there are still any left? I grew them a few years back. Two of them bloomed for a couple of years, but disappeared all together. Lupines like cool summers which we do not have in this area. Also, if the flowers are hit by a few 90 degree days, they wilt and that is the end of the blooming of the year. I think I will try a shadier area this time so that they only get the morning sun.

Ruby, I will bring you a few Streptocarpus plants.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2012 5:46 AM
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 24, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9055433

Thanks you Sally. I have so enjoyed the couple of times that the Ruby one bloomed for me. I would like to have another to keep this one company. hahaha

I was surprised a bit ago when I was called outside to hand the good hubby a tool. I got side tracked on the way back inside and ended up doing some weeding. Imagine my surprise when I saw a white bloom and upon inspection realized it was a Bleeding Heart. I know I had planted more in that spot and there was another pink one blooming its little heart out too. What grand fun that was and I am so glad that I went out there today. I have another couple of Bleeding Hearts planted in another location and I checked on them and had another lovely surprise. I owe Coleup all the glory for these. I have grown Bleeding Hearts in the past and had some critter kill them. This is year number two or three for these and so far so good.

This week has also seen some of my tulips in full bloom. They too are so gorgeous and bring a big smile to my face. I found a few more things in the front bed that we have gobs of that I can share at the swap if anyone is interested. Will post my "Haves" later in the week.

Happy Day to everyone.

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9055470

Happy Spring Rains to everyone! We did need it! I have updated my list with the recent wishes. Poof! All granted!

Jill, whatever Siberian you have in mind- how could I resist? The one I have a ton of to share (and already some have this one from me) is an old all purple. The other I have is very tall and unusually shaped white (Anniversary?") from Becky No Va . And I may have enough to share. Anything else will be cool and new to me! Thanks!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9055624

Here are all my small pots, divisions, etc outside my front doo to live in some
fresh air. Also--to harden them off a bit.

--In picture #1--there is a whole hodge podge of plants, as well as all my small X-cactus.
Swedish Ivies, some NBC's, etc.
--in picture #2--the tray closest to the wall are all my Braz. Plume starts. Doing well.
--in pic. #3--this is all my Monkshood starts.

--Pic. #4--my Clivias are starting to bloom. They have groen so much.
Please D-mail me if you are interested on one.

Pic. #5--My two biggest Endless Summer starts. These were outside, dug in, all "winter"...
I have a bunch more that are more like rooted sticks. have to pot them up as well.

Everything is doing very well.

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9055630

Sally--

When we met up at your house for going to the Seed Swap--we went back to your moister bed
in the back corner. If I remember--did I not dig up or what? some of your deep red D-Lilies?

I know I forgot them. Do you know what was beck there that i wanted and then just left them there????

Gita

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2012
3:19 AM

Post #9055999

Sally,

Can I have some of your Peruvian daffodil and bunny tail grass if there is enough to go around? Thanks.

Donner

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 25, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9056084

Ruby, as soon as I see some Caryopteris volunteers, I'll pot them up for you. I'll keep you posted and put your name on the "have/wants" list for this plant.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9056270

Gita, I have lots of chunks of one or two of my best Daylilies that I planted out to hold for this swap. I'm not sure how many labels stayed in place. I'll try to determine that today. I am 'pretty sure' it was the wine red one that I made several pots of. I think we held one up and discussed if I had put enough divisions in the pot.

Yes DonnerSally, happy to share ! Peruvian Daffodils will need full sun and heavy feed and water to bloom. I have not gotten them to bloom yet...but they make lots of babie bulbs.

Ruby, if you could ask John if he has one of the Mexican lilies that he told me about... or has figured out what they "are"- thank you!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9056495

Sally--

Well--perhaps I would like to have one or two of your wine-red D-Lilies then.

All I remember is it was way back in the wet corner and I took some (How--I do not remember),
laid them down and said i will get them when we get back to your house.
This may have been in 2011--not this year. I do think these were dark wine or dark red...????????

Anyway---
I AM (emphasis) making notes of all your latest requests, just have not yet, officially, added them on my "haves"/"wants list.
I AM keeping track...

Spent a few hours outside again--potting up small divisions of Cannas and playing around with trying
to see if I can root new growth cuttings of the Kwanzan Cherry Tree. Lots of prep time...
Had to trim one of my KC trees back a bit--and it had so much new growths on it and all ready to bloom.

We will see...We will see...(Yes! I KNOW I use a lot of punctuations...but as i type, and my mind is "talking"
to my fingers--if there is a pause in the context of the sentence, I use "..." or "---".)

Gita
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9058403

I just added ornamental sweet potatoes to my wants list.

I saved them last winter but they rotted...
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9058416

Is anybody interested in sun coleus? I just asked Badseed, and she said she'd be selling them (she is "Gemini Gardens") again this spring... I got some really wonderful plants from her last year at good prices (smaller plants, but still big enough to take a cutting right away), and I bet she'd be able to get them out in plenty of time for the swap. She's placing her wholesale order this week, so we should know what varieties are available pretty soon.

rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 27, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9058932

Thanks Roses, not problem if you don't get any Careyopteris this time, there is always another swap coming up and we can try again.

Ruby
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9063678

Gita, can I have 2 cannas, one of each color?

Ruby, I'd like some creeping jennys, please!

flowaJen, little chicks, please!

Donnerville, I think I got agastaches from you last year. They're coming up now! I can't wait to see them bloom.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9063697

SS--

Put your requests on my list...Bedtime for me now...Long day in Garden tomorrow...OUCH!!!

Will make sure I have my pain pills with me...Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9063771

Ruby, your little lilac (the one we couldn't find as you were leaving last fall) is sprouting out beautifully... Joyanna helped me tuck some of Sally's sedum around the base when we up-potted it in February, too. OH, and.. I found your hens and chicks!! I asked you for another start of them, because I thought I'd looked just everywhere and hadn't seen them since the swap day... they had fallen inside a nested stack of pots... and they're just fine! Tough little guys. :-)

I need to update my list... got a division and also a couple of root cuttings from my Kerria japonica, now blooming with little double yellow pompoms! I got mine from Orchardfancy, and it's grown to be an anchor for that corner of the garden. I think Sally said she had a well rooted one, also. It's a nice alternative to forsythia (both are blooming for me now). I repotted a couple of 'Zepherin Drouhine' climbing rose cuttings that had started rooting (I wasn't actually expecting succcess when I stuck them into herb containers on my deck LOL). I haven't dug them up to look at them, but the various other cuttings I've taken are still green, so that's a good sign!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9064033

I have bottlebrush buckeye that I stuck in the fall? they are opening buds but I'm afraid to check for roots or I may hurt them. If asked for I will bring in pot and advise you don't disturb. It's a shrub that needs a wide space to get big, looks gangly when small.

Also can dig sprouts from white lilac from 'hart'. Pretty sure she sadi, old fashioned and good fragrance.

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9064038

Sally - I would love some white lilac sprouts, especially if the plant has good fragrance. Pat

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9064051

Sure thing Pat! It has not bloomed yet (last year, It was tiny when I got it a few years ago.) for me but maybe it will by May? You can take one and wait for my report if not...

donnerSally- sedum sieboldii, I didn't find in PlantFiles but maybe you could bring one just in case...

ssgardener- please, sedum John Creech (I hear you saying yay, can get rid of more...!)

Ruby is the creeping Jenny a gold leaf? If so, please and thank you?

ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9064358

Sally, a John Creech for you! These sedums spread so fast! And I need to make room for new ones. ;-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9064534

ooh! SSG, a Sedum 'John Creech' for me also, please... such pretty little rounded leaves... and pink blooms!

Look here for the photo that made me say "ooh!" LOL : http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/208852/

I'm waiting for my white lilac from Hart to bloom, also... but yes, old fashioned and good fragrance is what she said... I think my notes also said "double"... but now I've lost track of which one it is... guess I'll know when those babies bloom! I'm going to try to get a couple more starts from the deep purple (and very fragrant) lilac I have from my great-aunt Erna.

I've been potting up peppers this afternoon... looks like the one with lots of seedlings to go around will be 'Sweet Pickles'. Got a few extra hots also and probably a 'Gypsy' or two. Lost some seedlings (one side got too dry), so I'll be re-sowing peppers this week... If there's anything you're looking for (sweet, hot, mild, you name it), let me know!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9064624

Thanks ssgardener! I have pulled up and divided more variegated liriope for my requests. I potted two white lilacs. I think I can bring some of another sedum, a littel taller than creeping and blooms yellow; will try to find a name for it.

Slight correction, my wood poppy is this
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/216029/

This message was edited Mar 31, 2012 5:40 PM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9064703

SallyG---

Here is a link to Sdum Sieboldii--from one of the Nurseries

http://www.northcreeknurseries.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/plants.plantDetail/plant_id/279/index.htm

Here is a good one showing the foliage. I gad this once--so the name "rang a bell".

http://www.growingcolors.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=1809&typeID=21

Jill---
I checked out the Bonnie herbs and veggies today at HD. They have so much in already!
Through tomorrow--all the 6-cell and 9-cell containers, as well as any pots 5" and under are 50% off.

I looked and they have every kind of Mints. Chocolate Mint, Orange Mint, Apple Mint, etc...etc...
All the ones you often talk about.
Lots of tomatoes too--except after today--there were a lot of empty trays.
I bought 2-5" pots of Italian parsley and one of the Apple Mint. I already have a small one you gave me once--??

I hope Bell refills these tables tomorrow. They got royally trashed.

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9064808

Thanks for the links Gita, its a pretty one!

Here's the other one I have and will bring. On the right, the nice medium grassy green one with ruffley leaves. On the left is the Blue Spruce sedum or a very similar cultivar which I am bringing.

And just for fun: picture of Sempervivum arachnoides (which died on me )

Thumbnail by sallyg   Thumbnail by sallyg

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9064926

Sally, hopefully this post will remind me as I go through this thread later... I got a Semp. arachnoides from DPF last fall, so I should be able to pot up a couple of babies for you. Do you still have that tiny-leafed sedum you shared with me a couple years back (smaller than the blue spruce one and more greenish but not quite bright grass-green)? If not, I can find you a start of it also.. I have a couple of little ones here & there. I got some Sedum sieboldii last year, and it looks like it's coming back well this spring, so hopefully I'll have that one to share eventually also, as well as a couple others. It was really short for me last year, but looks like it might get a good bit taller... we'll see.

Gita, everybody sure is thinking SPRING! with all those plants. Hope they're keeping an eye on the weather so they can cover their tomatoes if there's a frost/freeze! If we weren't all down with the crud this weekend, I'd be out at HD taking advantage of their sale.

Mint from me was most likely either Kentucky Colonel Spearmint or Chocolate Peppermint... I will have both of those again for this swap, and it looks like I can pot up a few good starts from 'Hilary's Sweet Lemon' mint also. I think there may be both apple mint and variegated pineapple mint (from Ruby, maybe?) in the little bed in front of the deck bench; I'll see what's popping up there. I also need to get some herb divisions going... there's plenty of that low-growing english thyme, but it takes time to get it to fill a pot with roots since it only makes quarter inch long roots as it creeps along the edge of the patio! Hopefully I'll have some 'Rose Petal' thyme as well, and it looks like there are a couple of layered pieces of Greek Oregano that can be potted easily... might see if one of the clumps is big enough to divide again, also.

The basil seedlings aren't up-potted yet, but they're looking good, so I'm hoping we'll have a good selection of those to share this year.

Please SHOUT OUT if you want tomato plants... got good germination on several older batches of seed, so I have a lot of extra seedlings, but I won't pot them all up if I don't have "takers" for them. In particular, I have lots of little seedlings of Potato Top, San Marzano, Black Russian, Yellow Brandywine, and "Friendship" (my name for the round red noid that Theresa & I swapped back & forth for several years... we finally found the original seed packet and were very excited until Carolyn politely explained to me that the name 'Pomodoro' on the packet simply meant "tomato" in Italian). Hmm, looks like I could do mixed 6-packs with those plus something random from the tray... Who wants a 6-pack of heirloom tomatoes?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2012
11:44 PM

Post #9065087

Hey Jill, thank you kindly on the Semp, and the tinytiny sedum. My tinytiny sedum got pretty swamped by that aggressive Blue Spruce and maybe lost.

LOL the '' royally trashed '' herbs! We were at Lowes and just stunned at the huge masses of floral material that the hordes will buy. And I just cook along with dormant things, perennials, swaps and seeds...cha ching

I could bring Greek Oregano, take that off your plate oif you like.

Jill please, Potato tops and San marzano pomodori? Grazie! And do you have sweet peppers? I haven't started any yet but could use a couple.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9065490

Sally, I just potted up a whole extra flat of 'Sweet Pickles' pepper (germinated like crazy, LOL).. that's the one that makes cute little peppers that are great for salads & fresh eating as well as pickles or whatever... you can eat them off the plant, seeds and all if you want since the seeds aren't in the least bit bitter. I'll also get some more 'Gypsy' and 'Carmen' sowed this week... those are my favorite non-bell varieties, and I ordered plenty of extra seed... also trying 'Flamingo' and 'Atris' this year (similar to G & C, respectively).

I have 2 more semps coming from Santa Rosa first week in May; if they're loaded I'll try to get a baby or two from them also. Joyanna has a piece of your tinytiny sedum in a little snail-shaped terra cotta pot. I think she'll probably put it (pot and all) into her fairy garden planter. I think I have 3 little starts of it that overwintered in a 6-pack, but I need to check more closely to make sure it's not some tinytiny-leafed spring weed LOL.

How many tomato plants do you want, Sally? 3 of each in a 6-pack? more?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9065494

A 3each 6 pack would be perfect! tyvm

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 1, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9065627

Jill,

I potted up 2 rooted little plants of the "puffy" Spider plant in a 6", nice, green HB.

Covered the pot all over in spring time/Easter stickers. Joyanna will love it...
You can always remove the stickers and put others on the pot--whatever the season...

I am sure you will have enough--but I may want some of the "Sweet Pickles" peppers.
Will share them with Aina. Just make a note, please.

Reminder------I have ONE Dr. Seuss Brug left. it has two stems growing. Anyone???

Have to go check for any updates in the "haves/Wants" Thread...haven't done it for several days...

Gita

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9065754

Gita, how sweet is that?! Thank you! I'll make a note to put your name on a 6-pack of 'Sweet Pickles'. I think they're as pretty as many of the "ornamental" peppers, with the bonus of being delicious as well.

Sally, got you covered on the tomatoes. They're just starting to develop first true leaves, so it's nearly potting-up time. I just checked those little starts I thought I'd spotted... blushing to say, yep, those are weeds. But I'll look under the dogwood in front, where I planted the tinytiny with the blue spruce sedum... actually, given your experience, I think I'll remove any tinytiny I see there and find a better place for them!

I've potted some of my variegated vinca... it's mostly growing up against the sheltered foundation wall, so whoever said it might be a little more tender than the regular rampant kind of vinca... that does seem to be the case. Good to know I can keep some there without having it take over that whole garden bed. I got a couple more little starts of Great-Aunt Erna's Lilac and stuck some cuttings from it also... Oh, and it looks like the Bouncing Bett is coming up with extra shoots to share.

Holly, what's that vine you have on the big arch thing? Trumpet something? I think I have a potted start of it left from the fall swap, and I don't have a good place for one. I looked in PF but didn't see anything that quite matched... It has these stiff crinkled semi-circle leaves just coming out -- that's how I was able to distinguish it from the pot of Wisteria next to it! LOL

Anybody need Shasta Daisies? or Black-Eyed Susan? I've got volunteers of the latter popping up all around, and my big trio of daisy clumps needs splitting. :-)
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9066007

Critter, could I have a cutting of the rose
A 6 pack of tomatoes and a variety of peppers

Thank you

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 1, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9066050

I just went through EVERY name on the "haves" and "wants"list making sure everything is accounted for
in my records.

A couple of you do not have plants that you requested from me on your "wants" listed.
Just wanted to tell you--so you can keep YOUR records up to date.

Roses:
You asked me for a Brazilian Plume Flower. You do not have it listed on your "wants".
I have it listed on mine...

David/Pat:
Pat asked for a Brazilian Plume Flower. I have it listed under your "wants". You Guys do not...

Holly-----Not very important--but I know of someone that would love some of your curly Willow...
If you have enough cuttings--I will take some. Mind you---NOT for me. So others can have 1st dibs...

This is getting to be a lot of work...keeping tabs...

Gita

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9066122

I'm not doing a good job of keeping up with the things that I've requested... will go down and try to make a list before the swap so I'm not standing in front of somebody saying, oh gosh, what was it that I wanted to be sure to get from you? LOL

Jan, when I repotted a couple of the rose cuttings, I did see a few tiny roots, and they even have a little new growth coming out, so I hope they'll be nicely rooted by swap time. I'll put your name on one. Tomatoes & peppers should be no problem! :-)

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2012
9:56 PM

Post #9066260

Thanks for reminding me Gita, I will have to get out there and take those cuttings so they have some roots. Yes you are very welcome to some for your friends.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2012
3:49 AM

Post #9066346

Critter, I'd love a clematis virginiana. And I have a John Creech for you and floAjen as well.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2012
4:05 AM

Post #9066354

I've put my request for your Brazilian Plume Flower on my WANTS list, Gita. Sorry I missed doing this, but I plan on really getting into this when I get back home from baby sitting on April 15th. At that time I'll probably add the successful stuff to my list and maybe delete those that have not made it.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2012
4:54 AM

Post #9066399

I have not posted yet what is available from my little corner of the world or what I want on the other thread. Sorry. I'm not organized enough yet for that. ;)

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9066409

Just now joining in on the fun. I'll go and set up a space on the "have/wants" thread. I'm not sure what I'll have - will know more by next weekend. Only did a quick look so far on what everyone is offering, but Gita, your pictures of the foxglove and the Brazilian Plume caught my eye. If you still have some of those left, can you add me to your list? Thanks, terri

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9066416

You got it--Terri!

I have more of the Foxgloves than have been requested.
I will bring some extras...

Wish the Brazilian. Plume starts would show some new growth...may be too cool for them???
Gita

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9066491

Sally, sedum sieboldii grows low to the ground in a neat mound. The leaves are about the size of finger nails, or slightly bigger. I will pot up some for you.

SSG, my agastaches are also coming up. The lemon green leaves are lovely now. The joe pye weed is still showing no signs of waking up. I sure hope I didn't kill it when I moved it last year :-(. I will dig up some for you if if ever comes up.

Jill, can I have an obedient plant from you? I had this plant when I lived in Va and loved it. My current garden has plenty of room for it to spread if it can find its way through the terrible soil :-(. Can I also have a few mint/basil/chilly peper plants? Any variety will do - if there is still any to go around Thank you.

Donner

rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 2, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9066680

Wow, some ral trading going on here. I have made notes and will attempt to update my haves and wants later today.

As of today, I noted that both ssgardener and sallyg want creeping jenny, Sally wanting the yellowish colored one. Will update my list shortly.

Oh my gosh, there are just so many things that you all are so graciously offering. Cannot wait to get there and be surrounded by all the great people and all the great plants. I am one who will most likely have room in my car at the end of the day if there are left overs to be given. hahaha I have ended up with some really cool plants that way.

I will be adding three new things to offer - Butterfly Bush, purple - Blackberry Lilies and some Hosta, both solid green and some varigated.

Fun, fun, fun!!!

Ruby
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 2, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9067181

SSG, I'll poke around in front and try to get a start of that Clematis potted up for you. I have it growing up our ornamental pear because I thought it would be amusing to see the tree "rebloom" LOL. C. virginiana has little starry white blooms, much like 'Sweet Autumn' but waaaay better behaved. :-)

Greenthumb, I crawled behind the coral honeysuckle this morning, and the piece that I tried layering for you last fall has rooted into its pot! Yay! I'll cut its connection to the parent plant and make sure your name is on the pot.

Donner, you can have lots of obedient plants! I'll get a couple potted up, and I may also just bag some up for you right before the swap... if you get even 1 clump established, you'll have it. I really do love it, but this year my "patch" of it has become too wide again. I'll save some to dig in fall, also, in case you need to try a different planting time... I'm planning to put some siberian irises into that same area, so I'll need to clear out a few more clumps. :-) Got you covered on an assortment of mints, basils, hot peppers. No tomatoes?

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9067213

Hahaha, Jill. No, no tomatoes. My adeanture in the realm of veggies stops at basils and chilly peppers. This is what I got when I tried tomatoes last time: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/901830/

Creepy stuff :-(

Thanks for all the other plants though. Would you like to have a few more AVs and Streps? ;-)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9067241

donner---IF you were Andrew Zimmern--you would eat all those larva
and get a bit more protein in your tummy...:o)

Looks like a tomato horn-worm deposited its eggs on your tomato.
You could have, easily, gotten rid of them...scrape...scrape...and your plant will be fine.

G.

ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9067296

Coleup, i'd love a hardy banana plant! Is it a basjoo? Do you keep it outside all year?
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9067355

Yes. ss it is a musa basjoo. It is hardy around here but I bring mine in every year. This year is the first year I had to place it diagonally on my enclosed but unheated sun porch where I overwinter all my "tropicals" as it finally got too tall to fit upright.. A semi sheltered spot outside is good as wind will tear up those beautiful leaves!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1127890/

Thumbnail by coleup

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 2, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9067465

A few requests

ssgardener some of each of your sedums John Creech, Dragon Blood and Ogon Pretty please

Gita Brazillian Plume flower , dark leaf/orange flowered canna. purple oxalis. foxgloves , bluebells and an endless summer hydeanga Pretty please
And pretty pretty please a Dr Seuss brug and your noid deep pink brug if no one else"must" have them

Kubileya Indian tobacco, cinnamon fern, yellow datura Pretty please

critter 2 six packs heirloom tomatos. sweet pickles. assorted basils, black eyed susans, kerria cutting
Pretty please.

Critter, what kinds of coleus might your friend Badseed have available for sale????

This message was edited Apr 2, 2012 8:09 PM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 2, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9067521

Coleup, I haven't gotten a list from Badseed yet... will nudge her and post when I hear something... she did say she had ordered 13 varieties last week (all sun coleus, I think) and would probably order more once she had the first order potted up.

Donner, you know you don't have to twist my arm even a little if you're offering any of your AV or strep babies!

Which reminds me... gessies... I can take a good many cuttings from my Alsobia 'Cygnet', and they're nearly as easy to root as spider plant babies. I'll try to remember to stick some in pots ahead of time. They have the sweetest fringed white blooms!

Thumbnail by critterologist

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9067532

Jill, the Alsobia cuttings you gave me have started to bloom http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1240666/. A few of our gardeners are interested in some cuttings. I will also bring some cuttings for Ruby.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9067808

Coleup, I'm afraid I don't have any more sedum ogon!

But I do have Dragon's Blood and John Creech ready to be potted up! And I have some more Sedum Angelina, if you'd like that instead.

I'm so excited about that banana! I had just checked with a nursery, and they didn't have them in yet. I have the perfect place ready for it!

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9067891

DH (greenthumb99) has not posted a picture of the campanula Elizabeth, so I'm trying to tempt you with a photo below. Also, if there is any interest, we can pot up some of the unnamed variety of iris shown in photo 2. We have perhaps a dozen. Any interest in May apples? We seem to have an abundance this year.

This message was edited Apr 3, 2012 9:30 PM

Thumbnail by ecnalg   Thumbnail by ecnalg

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9067895

Those campanula Elizabeth are beautiful!! May I have some please?

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9067898

Absolutely! We'll be happy to bring some for you.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #9067967

Thanks so much!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9068015

I may be overconfident, but I think I'm getting that poison ivy thing under control again in our micro-strip of "woods"... so Pat, yes please, I'd love some may apples. Maybe Joyanna and I will come down and get them so we can see your burgeoning spring gardens!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9068566

Pat---
Can you tell me something about that campanula? It is so unusual!

Light? How tall? When it blooms? How long it blooms?

Maybe I can put one in the space that I dug up all the Monkshoods from.
It would be decent light as the sun crosses over--and then dappled through my maple tree.

Will let you know. Thanks, Gita

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9068577

Gita - I would say it is in the neighborhood of 2 feet tall, blooming for a decent interval. A couple have needed a stake to support one of the stalks. It seems fine in partial shade, which is what we have the most of, and will self-seed quite well. We can put one or more aside for you. I am very fond of the flowers.

Jill - A visit to harvest some May apples would be very nice. I believe David is awaiting some bulbs that he will share with you.

Chantall - We'll be potting up some of the easier-to-dig Russian olives for you. The large ones are too much of an undertaking. They are just starting to scent the air now.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 3, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9068596

Pat, I'd like to try two of the Elizabeth campanulas pretty please.

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9068603

We'd be happy to do that. Pictures make things much more tempting. Your fern and bleeding hearts photo was so beautiful and lush.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9068783

Pat---

In your picture--I would think they are like---3' tall????

I will try one or two of the "Elizabeths"--if you have enough. Thank you. Gita

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9068847

I just asked David and without prompting, he said about 24 inches. He also helped me out by saying that last year's pictures of them in bloom were taken on 5/28 and 5/30. We'll put you down for 2. I think the angle that picture was taken may be what made the plant appear taller. Here is one in a pot.

Thumbnail by ecnalg

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 3, 2012
11:02 PM

Post #9069037

That's pretty I would like one if you still have some.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9069152

coleup wrote:A few requests

ssgardener some of your sedum John Creech, Pretty please

Gita Brazillian Plume flower , dark leaf/orange flowered canna. purple oxalis. foxgloves , bluebells and an endless summer hydeanga Pretty please
And pretty pretty please a Dr Seuss brug and your noid deep pink brug if no one else"must" have them

Kubileya Indian tobacco, cinnamon fern, yellow datura Pretty please

critter 2 six packs heirloom tomatoes. sweet pickles. assorted basils, black eyed susans, kerria cutting
Pretty please.

This message was edited Apr 2, 2012 8:09 PM

Not sure you all saw these requests so I'm bumping them up.

Donnerville, I've got a "Mona Lavender' plectranthus for you http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57891/

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9069155

Pat/David

A couple more questions on the campanula...
--is it annual or perennial?
--How long does it bloom? My to-- what?
--How does it propagate? Seed? You have so many small plants to share? How did they come to be?
--Does it do well in containers--or has to be in a bed? Space in my garden is at such a premium...

Thanks. Don't mean to be a pest about this... Gita

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9069203

Holly - We'll put you down for one.

Gita - It is a perennial. In the second picture, it is growing in a pot and doing very nicely. That is where we started with one and it needed to be divided the second year, so some went in a bed. It does tend to need watering when grown in pots and it did seed below the pot. It seeds around the plant to propagate. We have a patio and a corner has lost the pavers due to frost heave, I guess. We had a pot there and it propagated vigorously in the available space. You will have more next year, so if that is a concern, you may want to pass. If I had to estimate bloom time, I would say it was a bit longer than average.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9069236

Pat--Thank you. will still take two and find room for it somewhere.

If I cannot--I will share it with a woman at work who has a lovely home in WV on 33 acres.
I give her plants now and then. All the oddball plants I have also live in her garden down there.
She only goes there on weekends...

Thank you. Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9070108

Pat---

I showed Susan (the woman at HD) the Campanula Elizabeth and she loved it...

If you are trying to get rid of more of them--I will take a couple extras.
If you do not have any extras--that is OK too. I will just take my two.

David---The Monkshood divisions are growing really well.
I may try to plant a couple of them somewhere else in my garden and see if they will
come through without all that rot and dying. if not--I am DONE with this plant.
I still have the two I planted in another bed that has done the same thing.
I sprinkled some Fungicide powder on the area around them. Maybe that will help.

What would be a better Fungicide/Rot drench on the roots?????
I DO want to have a couple of these bloom in the late fall! I love the color and the blooms.

Thanks again. Gita
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9070137

Coleup, I was wrong! I had one more sedum ogon left! :-)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 4, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9070300

"Rot & dying?" Is it a fungal disease issue or because they are too wet over the winter? I've started planting a lot of things up on little "hills" for better drainage.

Coleup, I did pot up most of my extra tomato seedlings when I transplanted them yesterday, so if they do well I'll have a dozen for you, NP, and I should have you covered on the rest also. :-)

I got an initial list from Badseed but no prices... I will check with her on that... hopefully she'll have them up on her website soon... 'Fishnet Stockings' was in her initial order, making me happy since I didn't manage to over winter that one but was struck by it all over again atthe Philly Show.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2012
4:11 AM

Post #9070442

Gita-

Try a large pot at least half way out of the ground with some builder's sand mixed in with the potting mix. Do not use play sand since it is often soft, carbonate sand which alters the pH of the soil. You can plant other things around the pot to camouflage it.

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2012

Post #9070518

We'll bring 2 extra for Susan.

In my pre-David life, I got a Monkshood and planted it in our clay soil. It slowly turned completely black, and I would suspect that it was too wet.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 5, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9070585

David, that's probably a good planting method for those agastache I've ordered, too... I even have a couple of larger nursery pots with broken bottoms that don't work for "the usual" thing but would be great for this!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9070591

Jill, Pat and David----

Thank you all for your input.

The plants by the sheds (pic. #3--2009) may get a bit more water from run off from the shed roof.
IF it is a rainy season.
You can see what the dying stems look like. That year, I was lucky to see a few bloom.
When I tug on these browned out stems--they just come apart from the roots.

Pic. #1 is the smaller clump I planted in 2009 against the wall of the house of this bed
in hopes of seeing it do better than by the shed. It is not a wet bed. It faces East.
The bottom of the plant IS shaded as it grows among two perennial Ferns and I also plant my
Dr. Seuss brug in this bed, which grows massive and shades out a lot of plants behind it.
This photo was taken in October of last year. You can see how healthy the growth is.
However, it too died off before it should have bloomed.

Pic. #2 is of the same (against the house) plants last year. Two of the stems from this clump
survived to bloom. I would like to save this clump--somehow...

Pic. #4 is still of the same clump. This was taken in July of last year.
You get an idea of what this bed looks like...and, you can already see the stems
of the Monkshood dying back.

Pic #5--a better look at this same area and the dying back.
I do water the brug aa lot--but it is growing in a pot that is partially planted into the bed.
The Monkshood is not all that close to the brug.

I am willing to dig this clump up and pot it as you suggested, David.
Would a clay pot be best? What is the light requirement of the Monkshood?
Seems I remember it to be part shade??
How wonderful it would be to have these bloom for me as they should.

OK! Have to get a few things done--including tagging a lot of the plants everyone has asked for.

Thanks again---Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9070624

Hey Gita, are you ignoring my requests for some of your "haves"? See 11 posts back.

hahaha better respond before I get cold feet on some of my requests!

Are you growing the double purple datura this year? Is anyone?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9070631

Judy--

of course not!!!! I just wrote up all the tags to stick in the pots of the plants you asked for.

Sorry if I did not get back to you right after your requests.

Have to go to the "haves/wants" thread and update.

I did seed both the purple and yelloe Daturas. Just a few--and just for the heck of it.
They are all still little seedlings. Are you asking because you want one?
Should be OK--but lets wait to see how many actually germinate.

You want some seeds???? I can mail them to you today. Are you in the Address Exchange?
let me know...Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #9070717

Gita, Warning, a clay pot sunk half in soil, will still wick all the moisture up and dehydrate the root ball- I think...

I'm deleting Nasturtium from my Haves, in hopes that will get the stupid things to sprout. I soaked em and everything...
Got tons of Variegated Liriope divided.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9070765

Sally---

I had the same thought after I sent my above post.

Just a heads up---some of my Brazilian Plume cuttings are not doing so well.
I hope I have enough "presentable" ones to fill everyone's orders...

Gita

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9070844

Gita, I was thinking of a black plastic nursery pot as I never use those orange clay pots, I should have been clearer. Your Aconite should probably be placed in partial shade. Ours gets about half shade and seems to like it. That species supposedly can do full sun, but I have seen it happy in full shade.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9070870

I won't be updating my "haves" until I get back home on Monday the16th when my baby sitting job will be finished until the 22nd when I go back again for a while because of a business trip that my DH will need to attend. Can't wait to get back home to see what's happening!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9070933

David--
Thank you! Sally already said that a clay pot would not be good. I agree...

I just brought home a 5 gal., black, plastic, Nursery pot from HD. When they throw
plants out--I try to get some of the pots. If I am there--if not, no go.

One thing, David, in case you have never dug one of the Aconites up--they have quite shallow root systems.
They actually make these round root-bulbs--much like the seed Dahlias would have.
You can dig one up with just a hand trowel.
When I dig mine up--I will take a picture. And--it won't hurt if I soak them in some fungicide--will it?

I am VERY happy how these divisions I potted up are growing. Really, really well.

No one has asked me for my Tiger Lily starts. They are also growing very well. Almost 5" tall now.
These are from "seed" (bulbils) and are 2 to 3 years old.

My co-worker, Susan, ends up with a lot of my small starts--as I do not have any extra places to plant them.

#1 and #2--Here is a picture of the Tiger Lilies right now--and (#2) when they are in bloom.

#3--The Aconite sections growing well...they are under my old Burning Bush. Getting some AM sun.

#4--The front of my house---Development lot--65'x100'. Everything I have is on this little piece of land.
I have beds all along every structure and boundary. No free-flowing beds anywhere...the 70's--you know...
#5--Looking from my patio towards the end of my property--where the raised bed is. My shed is just to the left where there
is another bed--the one where i dug out the Aconites.

Picture #4 will give you the idea of the left side--as you can see my shed. Not too far to the left of picture #5.
The bed on the left side is already my neighbors. The Shrub at the end of my driveway is the
Wintersweet Shrub in summer garb.

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9071214

Gita, I would like a tiger lily, please. We are leaving tomorrow for Texas to visit a grandy for a week. When I get home I will put up my haves, etc. Thank you for continuing to be patient with me.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2012
4:20 AM

Post #9071568

It's amazing what you've managed to put into that space and have it look so good, Gita.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9071770

Roses--Yes! I sometimes also think how on earth I can have this big a variety?
I think the secret is to just have a couple of this and that.

Jan--Will tag one for you----maybe even two.

You can grow the Tiger Lilies from all the bulbils (size of a peppercorn) that develop in all the axils
of stem and a leaf. If you do not collect them--they just fall to the ground and come up.

I collect them and trow them all in some soil in a small window-box and put it against the house on
the S. side. Throw some leaves over it. They all grow and by next year look like this. Then I pot them in small pots
and they stay outside all year again.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2012
5:11 AM

Post #9072806

All of my irises need to be divided...At the rate of this spring, they may well have bloomed by May 19th. 'Wabash', hart's heirloom light blue, a huge blue one, a regular size lavender-on-top-purple-on-the-bottom, fancy yellow already in pots, a fancy pink..
Three pots of blue creeping phlox look good so far.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9072925

I just discovered a passel of seedlings around my Digitalis ferruginea, Rusty Foxglove.

Edit: Opps! I got down on the ground today to pot up the seedlings, and although they look like the seedlings of this Digitalis species, they are not. Each had a long root running away from the foxglove to the middle of an adjacent Crocosmia planting. They are a far cry from looking like a Crocosmia, but the plant came from a friend that had had something he planted wildly invade his perennial bed. It must have hitched a ride, and now I have another area in our gardens to patrol regularly to make sure an unwelcome interloper does not gain a foothold. At any rate, I have to retract my offer of Digitalis ferruginea seedlings. Sorry

This message was edited Apr 9, 2012 10:01 AM

Thumbnail by greenthumb99

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9073024

Shade/ sun?

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9073077

Parial shade, probably about 6 hours mid-day for this particular plant.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9073254

Oohh, that is pretty. Yes, please.

It is beautiful here in Texas!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9073309

(Hi Jan!)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9073431

Sally---
I thought of you today at work--when i was tossing a few so-so pots of Creeping Flox down the chute...
OH, well...Being the honest type--I would not dare take some of these plants for myself.
My job may be at stake if anyone finds out...Cameras are all over on the ceilings...

I am, anxiously, awaiting the two D-Lilies Nancy grew/hybridized from seed and gave to me
at the seed Swap about 3 or 4 years ago. They are looking good and growing well.
Now about 10" tall.
Somewhere I saved the names of these. I know I can find them.
Will, definitely post pictures should they bloom this year...

Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9073455

OK! No one has asked me for the "Chrysanthemum Pacificum" starts to this plant.
Seems pictures are "magical" in getting people interested in a plant they would not,
ordinarily, consider...Here is a PF link to this plant.

Again--I repeat---this is grown, mostly, for its foliage and its mounding/spreading nature.
Its amazing dull green leaves that are fuzzy silver underneath. Totally disease-free.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/992/

Gita
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 7, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9073469

I know how you felt Gita, It just seems like such a waste tossing out those plants.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9073470

The blue creeping phlox I dug seems to be doing well!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 8, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9074251

Does anybody have a start of blue Woodland Phlox? I have some orange "Little Princess' tulips by the side walkway, and there's nothing much next to them in spring... woodland phlox would be just the thing; I think there's just enough afternoon shade there for it.

Gita, I think my tiger lily may have come from you some years ago... there are little sprouts all around its end of the perennial bed that might be little tiger lilies... or they could be weeds... I seem to remember I've been fooled before, LOL. I'll have to compare to your photo!

Sally, I'd love a piece of 'Wabash', Hart's light blue iris, and your big blue iris, please! But be sure to wait until after they bloom to divide them... I've been told (by DGers who grow them by the 1000's) that dividing now can shock the whole clump. You're right that many may well have bloomed by the swap date... I've got some blue dwarf bearded iris (have to see if I can find the name or at least snap a photo) just starting to bloom this weekend!

Hope everyone is enjoying a beautiful Easter day!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9074295

Hi, Sally. Lol

Once I get home I will go through all the lists again and see what I need, yes, I said NEED. Heehee
Also, to figure out what I have that can be split.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9074668

Gita, that picture did it for me! I'm like a silver and gold chrysanthemum please!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9074677

SS--

By "please!" you mean you want some???? How many pots?

They are in 4" pots --one plant per--and growing well. They multiply easily and soon you will have a nice patch of them.
The little yellow blooms are, almost, insignificant...and not until October...

Will tag 3 or 4 for you. is that OK? Let me know...Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 8, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9074703

Gita... if you have an abundance of starts, I'd like to try that Chrysanthemum again, too, please. I had a little start of it once before from you, but something munched it (not sure what, as I'd have thought mums were on the "un-tasty" list!). Thanks! And no worries if "my" brazilian plume cutting doesn't take... :-)

ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2012
4:13 AM

Post #9075016

Gita, I was going to take just one, but I will gladly take 3 if you have extras. :-)

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2012
5:09 AM

Post #9075056

Gita, I had that Chrysanthemum when I lived in VA and it stayed green, although not very happily, over winter. It is a care-free plant. Can I please have a pot if there is still any to spare?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9075131

SS--Jill--and Donner---

Am tagging 3 for each of you. I have a full tray of 4" pots.

I moved this plant from my YUK bed to a small, not so great, bed by my "moon" (patio light on a pole)
because in my YUK bed, the Chrys. Pacif. was growing on top of a clump of small, fragrant,
clustered daffs. of some kind. Have NO idea how that happened!
So--I dug up all the C. P. and rooted all the ends.
This plant benefits from being pinched back as its spring growth gets lush. Like all mums.
Then it will grow more compact. I did this yesterday--but the pinchings were too small to do anything with.
Tossed them all...

Gonna try to plant my Cannas today--just not sure where??????
Also--with these semi-warm days---I need to consider unloading ALL things in my shed, cleaning it out,
organizing it better and then putting everything back in. It has been at least 5 years since i did it.

As many sheds go--it is almost impossible to get to anything in there.
One of my biggest chores I antagonize over...Suppose to rain today--so I may not get to it.
Many times this turns out to be a 2-day job. These pictures from last year.

Gita

ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9077498

Donnerville, do you think I could get another golden jubilee agastache? That lime green color is just fantastic!

I added lily of the valley to my HAVES list. If anyone has a troublesome dry shade area, this might work for you. Mine grow under the eaves and get absolutely no water, except for when the rain hits it on a windy day. I imagine it would be invasive if given the opportunity.

I've potted up everything, except for the Dragon's Blood sedum. I'm waiting for it to green up a bit more first.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9077681

SSG, there will be another Agastache 'golden jubilee' for you. The foliage color is indeed very striking in the garden.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9077792

If not spoken for...
Gita - I would love one of your Wintersweet yearlings
Sally - I'd love1 of those lilacs - has the parent plant bloomed for you? Good scent?

Anyone else have a baby -
Mock Orange - I gave Bec mine from Bluestone last year - I'm looking for the old fashioned, highly scented one.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9077820

Chantell, YES on that lilac but it has not bloomed yet so I cannot swear to fragrance, If you can ask 'hart', it is her white lilac (maybe from her friend's place) and tentative yes on an old (baby) mockorange but I have to keep one myself.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9078046

Chantelle---

Will be glad to tag a W-Sweet baby for you.
You do know that these will only bloom 6-7 years from seed?
And seed is the only way to propagate it. I will be glad to bring you an envelope of some of the seeds.
You can sprinkle them in a bed--somewhere--in, say, August--and let mother nature germinate them
That is where I found all my seedlings.

Gita

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9078069

Can't wait to get home Monday (after being away babysitting for almost 3 weeks) to see what's happening in my garden so that I can post more offerings.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9078150

Sally - thank you...please don't donate a Mock Orange if that's going to leave you short though.

Gita - thank you and I'll gladly accept both the baby and some seeds. If I've learned nothing else from motherhood and gardening - it's patience...LOL. I've waiting 4 years for blooms...what's another 1-2? :-)
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9078737

Chantell, I'd like one of your asiatic lilies, please!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 12, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9079349

Coleup- any alo- or colocasia you want to get rid of would be dandy for me. Thanks!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9079771

SS I'll have it dug and put your name on it
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9080033

Coleup, I would take the Banana, black Hens & Chicks, and any alo- or colocasia you have.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9080810

holly and sallyg Got ya covered on the 'tropicals'

Thumbnail by coleup

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9080846

tee hee
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 13, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9080863

Thanks, Tropicals are my favs.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9081892

I should mention that I live pretty close to Behnke's nursery. Please let me know if you'd like me to pick up a plant at Behnke's and bring it to the swap. They have a great selection of annuals. Their prices aren't the best, but it should be cheaper than paying for shipping.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9081901

And let ME know if anyone has a last minute request from Pinetree Seeds. I forgot to get bush butternut and the seed racks just carry vining ones. So I still might get those seeds and a hunk of row cover for the squash.

I'm on the hunt for Alstroemeria. Someone posted, couple years ago, in MA that they grow it. I don't think it was someone who is actively posting, just saying I'm pretty sure I could grow it too, if I can find it.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 14, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9081923

Haven't had time to check in for a bit but I see that everyone is still very excited about this upcoming event and lots of swapping is going to take place. Yippie!!! I will be updating my haves list later today, so all please take a look and I am hoping to interest folks in taking more.

I had a friend come in earlier this week and walk around the beds and dig up pieces of things she was interested in. It felt good to have some things that we have plenty of going off to a home where they will be cared for. I have been amazed at the new things popping up just since this thread was started. Seeing more and more things in the garden each and every day.

So good to see that Chantell has joined in and will be attending. Always love seeing and talking with her. Will have to check out your list of HAVES Chantell because you have shared some very interesting things with us over the years.

It will also be fun to meet some of the new folks who will be attending that I haven't yet made their aquaintance. Many new names here to me.

After taking every thing in to consideration, the hubby has decided that we will travel up and back the same day. Too many pets needing attention here. He doesn't seem to mind driving, and it gives me a chance to work a lot of crossword puzzles, look at lots of magazines and to catch up on any sleep I might have missed the week before.

Donnerville, whilst out yesterday watering the hundreds of pots of Iris, he kept mentioning the ones he was going to bring for you. So happy that we are going to get to repay you for the lovelies you have sent our way in the past.

Anyway...hope that the weekend will be enjoyable and productive for all. Will let you know when I have updated my haves list.

Ruby

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9081925

Found some fairly inexpensive Alstroemeria Bulbs online here:

http://www.amazon.com/PERUVIAN-LILY-ALSTROEMERIA-AURANTIACA-seeds/dp/B0049GSTCW

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9081933

Terri THank you! Of course if successfull they will be future swap material! PS you're helping my research for an article too. You'll get the first baby!

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9082119

Thanks so much, Sally. Glad that it was helpful. Teri

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9082428

Can't wait to see you and John, Ruby!!! That's a long haul for y'all - mercy - but certainly wouldn't be the same w/o you both!! Hugs!

Holly - might a bug you for some more horseradish - please and thank you?

Jill - like to beg some Russian Sage and Hot & Spicy Basil (I think I'll use that for making a Sweet/Spicy honey this summer) and as always (I swear I'm marking them this time) a little of each of those 3 mints only IF you have enough though - it's a want not a need. Hugs!

This message was edited Apr 14, 2012 5:01 PM
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 14, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9082514

We are so excited about the swap it is going to so much fun seeing everyone.
Chantell, plenty of horseraddish for you.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9082536

Chantelle----

At the HD--the Bonnie Plants veggies and herbs have so many kinds of Mints this year.
If you want to go look--I am sure you can pick and choose...
They also have all kinds of basil and all kinds of Peppers.

They are also getting, more and more, into Heirloom Tomatoes. I saw 3 trays-full of Cherokee
Purple Tomatoes today. Also, Mr. Stripy and some kind of a black tomato.

Just FYI...Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9082588

Here is a "vintage" shot of Chantelle and Hart. We sure do not see Hart much at all any more...

This was taken at Becky's 1st (??) Plant Swap...

Just for remembrance------Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9082647

Thank you Holly!! And you too Gita...I'll have to take a peek at my HD. Ahhh look at Hart! I actually spoke to her a few weeks back...she's going through some health issues...I'd appreciate it if folks would hold her up in prayer
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9082722

Will do!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9082772

Oh, our dear 'hart', I'll be thinking of her also.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9082850

For those of you in Zone 7 like Sallyg, Alstroemerias should not be a problem. For those of us further north in Zone 6A and maybe 6B we have to be careful which variety we buy. A few years ago I bought the only one I had heard was relatively hardy - Sweet Laura- from Garden Crossings (prices are very high so have not ordered since but the plant was really really large and strong so you get what you pay for in some cases!) and that has turned out fine - at least it has returned each year and blooms profusely. The two offered this year from that site say they are good even in Zone 5. Mine is in a rather protected area and well mulched in the winter. If you look at Tony Avent's site ( http://www.plantdelights.com/Buy-Plants-A-to-Z/products/2/6/0 ) called Plantdelights, he lists quite a nice variety but one notices a big difference in Zone listings. His prices are high also but I understand the quality of his plants and their size is superb. The site is good for getting an idea of available varieties. These are not cheap plants but the one I have is marvelous. I have no idea how easy they are from "seeds" as advertised at the site Teri found but it's worth a try for that price! Looking forward to attending the Swap. Still getting my act together in terms of offerings!

This message was edited Apr 14, 2012 11:53 PM
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9083011

Does anybody have any "Rozanne" (hardy geranium/cranesbill) that they need to divide? My hand is high in the air if you have that to share.

Gita, I wished you lived closer, I have raspberry wine monarda that I just dug out this week because it was spreading into other plants..I took and stuck some cuttings and if they take, I'll be bringing them along. I collected a pkt. of the seeds last Fall from my plants and have some from Jacob Cline that Cristiane gave me from hers. The Raspberry wine plants were beautiful last summer. Her Jacob Cline is just getting started. I don't think I have it in a good location. The soil in the sun room bed is not good, even though I've amended it. I am fighting fiberous azalea roots and a large maple tree root there.

If you want to take a nice ride one day, about an hour; you're welcome to come over. We were over to our cousin's back in March that lives near Glen L. Martin plant.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9083075

Pippi--

I have an old Monarda (red--I think--in my YUK bed that is fully matted with my huge Maple roots.
Hence the name--YUK bed...Things do grow in it--but not well. They all struggle.
In the corner, right next to one of the Butterfly Bushes is my patch of Monarda.

I should dig it out and just let it be. I can always give plants away at work...

Behold---my "YUK" bed in the back corner--and the Maple just a few feet away from it.
Digging in this bed is next to impossible!
Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9083085

Gardadore, So glad to see you posting I was hoping you would make the swap. Do you think you might have some of those lions tails you had last year. I just loved them.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9083135

I just dug away some of the new, spreading Euphorbia plantlets (??).
had no idea they would crawl under rocks and rotting tree stump to keep on growing???
Two of the off-shoots were so deeply rooted I pulled them out without roots attached.
Still potted them up--hope they root????

Originally planted this in a hole by my rotting Birch stump--I think 3 years ago.
Took it 3 years to bloom...Quite pretty! The stump will not be there much longer.
I always set a big pot of something on it--the stump reinforced by bricks...
Termite Condo...:o) You can see the big pot in the pictures...
What will happen to this plant after the stump collapses? I may have to plant
the Euphorbia all around the remaining "mess". Since it is perennial--may be right pretty.

Don't know much about this plant. Anyone for a quick lesson????

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9083177

gardadore, thanks for the Alstr. notes! I plan to visit Homestead Gardens this week, if anyone in this county has it, it should be them, or perhaps the nearby Main's Greenhouse.

I saw that one person posted about the seeds, that germination is very low, so one really should buy a larger pack. The guy gave a full name, sounds legit.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 15, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9083297

Just wanted to make note that I have added a few more things to my haves list. As of yesterday I listed Lily of the Valley, Prickly Pear Cactus, one large Scabiosa in white, Hens and Chicks and Sweet Woodruff.

Pippi, just yesterday John was asking me about a plant which is a Hardy Geranium. I am not sure of the name, but I have a several that I can gladly share too if anyone is interested. Please let me know and I would regard you as doing me a favor.

I just told someone I am not sure where we will put all the plants I have requested. What a haul this is going to be. Just hope the weather and our health cooperates and we are able to attend. As of now it is in large letters on the calendar.

These swaps go back for some time. I clearly remember attending the first one that Hart hosted. Someone please tell her we miss her. I left the swap that day feeling as though I had just been in the presence of many angels. I basked in the giving attitudes of all who attended. What good friends so many have turned out to be.

Anyone ever given thought to having them quarterly? hahaha At least I now know that Jill's town is close enough to drive in a day for a seed swap and in the future I hope the weather cooperates and we will be able to attend some upcoming ones.

Thanks for posting the pic of Chantell and Hart Gita. Such a great reminder of such good people.

Ruby
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9083300

Sally, I think I aw some at Homestead. Look in the prepackaged bulb section. Brent and Beckys may have them. too. Mains really has changed with Chuck and Liza's retirement. Not a great selection as primary focus is landscape business. Have you shopped at "Peaches"? She has a lot of different plants and shrubs on 214 same road as Mains but up closer to Annap on left going North. Good luck finding the perfect Peruvian Lily for you.

Wonder hqw many garden centers we could hit in one day? Hmmm...
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9083302

Our first swap was at Hart's home, too. I hope she is doing better soon.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9083369

Ooh coleup thanks for the tips.
I last went to "Main's" (new management) about five years ago and they had a nice and sort of unusual variety. Haven't been back since.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9083443

Just wanted to post info forthe Verbascum Southern Charm, since my DH kept most of these alive while I was gone, I will have about 6.

http://www.anniesannuals.com/plt_lst/lists/general/lst.gen.asp?prodid=1098

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9083461

Has anyone checked if HD or Lowes has the Alstromeria Lilies in their summer bulb selection?

I am not at work again until Wednesday. Will check.

How about Brecks? The old time great supplier of all things bulbs?

Here are some pics to reminisce over at Becky's Swap--
WHEN was hart's Swap? Not sure I have pictures--but I might...I am always the picture-taker...

--Ruby--here you and John are at Becky's Swap. Such a cute couple!
--Whatever happened to larienda????
--Larienda's hubby with the kids...
--Jill and Miata...
--Jody and her Mom

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9083701

ooohhh, ROSES, are any of the 'Southern Charm' not spoken for? Those have such a delicate water-colored look.

I've been potting up starts of things while working on the bed by the deck this afternoon.. black eyed susans, an extra little chunk of Tradescantia (spiderwort), 'Kentucky Colonel Spearmint'... also found a couple layered/rooted pieces of Stephan's Jasmine and potted them so they'd have good roots by the swap.

I also have a couple starts of "Felicia's Phlox" (heirloom violet-blue one from Jim's mother's mother)... Gita, I think the one I gave you last year didn't have much top growth, so let me know if you need another piece.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9083715

Coleup, if you have an extra "ear" (colocasia, alocasia -- I think you may have mentioned both), I'd love something I could add to my bubbler bog or one of my water garden pots. Thanks!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9083885

The hunt goes on- Homestead had one form of Alstroemeria- a pot for 25$.. Ulp, nah.

They are in the Amaryllis family. It sounds like there is a bulb but they also say 'be careful with the brittle roots when planting.'
I bought a bunch at Giant in cut flowers, for my required one picture

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 15, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9084002

Jill--
The one you gave me last year actually grew quite well and bloomed.
It was quite hardy. Lasted a bit longer than my other Flox right besides it.

I planted it in my East facing bed next to some other Flox I had growing there...
Right by all the hardy Ferns...

I realize how hard it is for me to find any spot just for ONE plant. Sharing is the rule at my house...

I had a picture of them--cannot find it at this moment...Bed time!!!!!

Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9084039

Good! I seem to remember you mentioning that you were concerned because it had just one or two little shoots, and I told you it had Big Roots... sounds like it took off just as I was hoping it would for you!

I divided the main plant last year, left the central piece where it was and put one of the divisions in a slightly different spot (farther from the rhodi since they were starting to crowd one another). Well, this phlox really enjoyed our mild winter! The little central piece is a huge clump again, and the nearby "small" division is well established... so I potted up several starts and also dug up the big clump to plant behind the bench on the deck landing.

I'm going to have some pots of 'Hot & Spicy' greek oregano to share, also. I had a plant that was maybe a 10 inch diameter clump in the little "pocket garden" behind one of the sitting-rocks by the patio... it also enjoyed the mild winter and apparently spread its roots widely, as it came up gangbusters this spring, filling the entire tiny raised bed! I have to dig most of it out and see if the other plants in that bed are still under there somewhere, LOL.

I lost a lot of the basils just before transplanting, but I'll still have some extras to share, and I potted up an extra flat of my Italian Genovese "real Italian basil from Italy"... some of those are for friends/neighbors, but I'll bring some to the swap also... ask if you want to be sure of getting a couple!
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2012
12:55 AM

Post #9084201

Jill, I'm interested in both kinds of thyme, please! The one that I have now isn't doing very well.

Does anyone have any lavender?

I've also added Japanese painted fern and Japanese painted grass to my wants list.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2012
4:01 AM

Post #9084254

Jill, I'll put aside the Verbascum Southern Charm for you.

SS, I'll set aside some lavender for you if it's looking good this year.

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #9084267

RRR - I would love one of the Verbascum Southern Charm too, if you have more. Thanks.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9084356

Critter, Yesterday I divided my 'ears' so will set aside Colocasia esculenta fontenesii 'Black Stem' for you and Ruby. Anyone else? These ears play well in containers with most coleus. They should get about 3 foot tall this season ! Planted in ground they are reportedly hardy in zone 7 and will produce runners and new pups for more.

Also should have divisions of Alocasia cladora sometimes called 'Persian Palm' Big green upright leaves.

Anyone want a couple of White oak starts planted for you by squirrels in my pots?
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9084360

Coleup, I'd love any colocasia or alocasia you have. I've never grown tropicals before, so I'm really looking forward to it!

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9084368

(((Hart))) Chantell, thanks for keeping in touch and letting her know we're thinking of her.

Oh! White Scabiosa! Ruby -- pick me, pick me! Umm.. er... let's try that again. Ruby, I would love a white scabiosa, pretty please.

We almost have quarterly swaps... let's see, Feb seed swap... May spring plant swaps... Sept. fall plant swap... you're right, we need something around July, maybe something Nov/Dec also...

Coleup, thank you for the Colocasia... it'll be fun to try that in a water pot!

RRR, thanks for putting my name on a Southern Charm... I had that one before everything got away from me out there, and I miss it!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9084402

Jill--

If you have one to spare--I would like another start of your Phlox . Will plant it next to the one from last year.

Actually--I need to move the older one--as it is right next to another lavender Phlox.
Would like to give each their own little spot...where??????? Will figure it out...

Found the picture form July of last year. It sits in front of one of my hardy Ferns in my East side bed.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Kubileya
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #9084754

Been browsing everyone's 'haves' lists...

Chantell: May I get one of your peanut butter bush yearlings if they are unspoken for?

Ruby: I would love some lily of the valley

Critter: Could you put my name on one of you Zepherin Drouhin rose cuttings?

Thank you all! :)

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9084787

coleup - any of your EE's have the dark foilage? I would love one if so...

Kubileya - I've got you down for the PB toddler

Ruby - If you have enough to share - I'll take a few more Lily of Valley...I love them under my tree...cutie patooties.

Holly - I may have missed it - but how tall are the bamboo poles?

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9084790

Coleup, I would like to try your alo and/or colo-casias please if you have enough.

Kubileya, may I have one of your ghost peppers please.

Just in general, I would like any hostas and coleus.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9085111

Donner---

I can give you one or two Astilbes----not sure of the color...

I can also give you one of the Euphorbias I just dug up and divided...

Let me know--and i will add it to my "Promised to" list.

Is this the one you want????

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9085114

Ruby--I know this is like a weed--and once you ave it you will always have it---
Could I have some Creeping jenny from you?
BUT--I like to have just one or two for my W-Boxes.

My neighbor used to have it all over her front bed--and I would go and just dig up a few.
Long gone! Now the Pakistani neighbors seem to live to get rid of everything that was on this property.

SO! I want some...;o)

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9085223

Gita- We have some creeping Jenny that I just discovered this afternoon that escaped from its pot. We can give you some.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9085229

Chantell et al,
I have the following elephant ears to share. See corresponding pics below. 2 and 3 take forever to wake up and attain size so am not sure if I have many or none to share tba. Have lots of #1 though! I will reserve a 'Black Stem' for you which in my opinion has dark green leaves and you can decide upon seeing it live.

Catbird, I'm determined to 'tropicalize' that townhouse back yard of yours. So glad you are biting!

All of these are great in containers, too. Just keep them well watered as they love the heat and humidity of mid atlantic summers (which are getting longer and hotter if today was any indication)

Colocasia esculenta fontenisii
1 'Black Stem'
http://www.avantgardensne.com/catalog/product.cgi/4510/P1/default/Y/0
2 'Black Magic'
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/31781/
http://www.avantgardensne.com/catalog/product.cgi/4121/P1/default/Y/0
3 'Illustris' Imperial taro
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53145/
http://www.avantgardensne.com/catalog/product.cgi/4473/P1/default/Y/0

alocasia
4 alocasia x 'calidora'
http://www.avantgardensne.com/catalog/product.cgi/0/4303/P1/default/N/0
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/76290/

Picture #5 is of the house of the owners I worked for here in Annapolis who gave me the original starts above. Tropicals and coleus..what a way to do summer!

Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9085271

For those of you looking for 'spillers' for your containers or window boxes I have nice starts of variegated icelandic ivy to share. Also works well as a house plant. Slow growing.

Thumbnail by coleup

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9085331

coleup- Depending on how much you have and how much I have for YOU, I'd be liking any colo / alocasia, and an icelandic ivy, please.
Did I mention I have potted up two greek oregano?

Roses I dug and pottted some raspberries yesterday.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9085351

Thanks, Sally
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9085356

Coleup, I'd love a start of that variegated ivy -- so pretty!

Kubileya, I'm so excited that those ZD rose cuttings still look green! :-)

Chantell, I don't know if you've got another BP shrub toddler or not, but if not I'd like to beg a couple of cuttings to try, please. I think I see some white yarrow "out there" again this spring, but I can't guarantee it won't be queen anne's lace... they look too similar to me at this time of year.

If anybody has noticed that I don't have their "wants" marked off on my posted list, not to worry, I just haven't sat down long enough to catch up on that recently. I'll get it sorted out! And I don't think anybody has asked for anything that's in short supply. :-)
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9085408

Chantell, Poles are as long as you want them to be. Ric will cut them from the neighbors and some could be easily 10Ft long.
Did any one claim the -1 Hedychium 'Tai Pink Profusion' I would love it if it is still available.

This message was edited Apr 16, 2012 9:47 PM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9085443

Pat---

Thank you! I just want a couple of mini-bunches...OK?
I like the way it just hangs and hangs...nice lime-green color too.

Thanks, Gita
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9085494

Ivys to you Jill and Sally!

Not to worry on any even up trades/swaps as I am looking to decrease plant commitments here in anticipation of a move up North where many will not survive. Hopefully swappers up there will fill me in with Zone 4 bounty! So, no one feel slighted or any unease if I have not requested plants from you (yet) but you'd like anything I have listed. I'm sure by now that in our heart of hearts all of us would like at least one of each!!! Besides, all of the plants I have have been salvaged or passed along to me..I've just cared for and enjoyed them for awhile.

Shamelessly promoting plants here, I have the first tru dwarf Crepe Myrtle developed by Nat Arboretum called 'Chickasaw' Willing to stick cuttings or rehome mama plant to someone who will.
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Newintro/chicksaw.html

PS Sally, if you have an extra seedling of that bush squash you mentioned you had ordered seeds for, I'd be much obliged.

This message was edited Apr 16, 2012 10:01 PM

Thumbnail by coleup

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 16, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9085574

Coleup - happy for whatever varieties of the EE's you have - forgot how much I loved Illustris - but understand if he doesn't make an appearance.

Critter - got you down for at least cuttings if not a toddler of PB shrub - the growth this sweet girl has put on since I got her in spring of 2009 is amazing. You give her a little TLC the first year - she rewards you heavily in years to come. I truly LOVE this plant!!

Holly - Hedychium is yours. I swear each year I think I've got the hole thing dug up and low and behold - up pops a stalk the following spring LOL. I can think of worse things...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
9:45 PM

Post #9085595

coleup- happy to have bush squash ready for you- I actually saw Bush butternut Burpees at Lowes today so that's a go.

CHantell- can you cut me an extra piece of PB shrub? I killed the first one you gave me...
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2012
4:00 AM

Post #9085681

I put in a dwarf crepe myrtle ('Petite Blue', lavender blooms) last year and just love that little cutie... not big enough for cuttings yet, but I'll try next year. I did send out a few seeds, but I don't know if seedlings would even be dwarf (I know they won't come "true" and so does the person who asked for them). Coleup, I'd love to try your 'Chickasaw'!

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2012
4:24 AM

Post #9085697

OOooh, I'd love to have some of your Chhickasaw Crape Myrtle, if you have enough, Coleup. I have some Hopi tall Crape Myrtles growing close to the house. They do very well even tho I'm in Zone 6a because of the protection. I'd love the miniature to put in a pot on my deck.

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2012
4:54 AM

Post #9085720

Coleup - We would love to have a Black Stem if you have enough. What an interesting looking plant.

Crape Myrtles are a favorite, but we don't have enough sun for them. We have 2 volunteers potted up from the bed where our very tall one is growing. Will try to get a photo of the bloom color and also of the potted plants.

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9085797

Here we go. The smaller pot is a 1 gallon. These were suckers from the main plant, not from seeds. Bloom from the main plant is in picture 2. I don't know the name.

Thumbnail by ecnalg   Thumbnail by ecnalg

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9085814

Coleup---

Where will you be moving??? Zone 4! That is Alaska!!--or northern Canada...
G.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9085844

Gita,

I would love to have the Euphorbia if nobody else has clained it. I am trying to use it for erosion control in an area by the newly expanded driveway. Pat has also graciously offerred Euphorbia. I am also getting irises from Ruby and Obdient plants from Jill. As you can see, I am trying to get plants with strong roots and will spread gradually.

Astilbes will be most welcome too. I have compiled a long list of shrubs that perennials that can grow in shade which I have plenty of.

Thank you.

Donner
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9085876

Roses and Critter,
will let you know if any stickings of Chickasaw dwarf crepe myrtle take! Bottom heat and mist system would help. Like you, Pat I don't have enough sun for crepes. The little ones are definitely worth considering as garden or container additions here and I think they are lovely just for the foliage! (An aside, can't stand the major cutting back a lot of peolpe around here do to their large crepes that leave those very bare nubbins for so long before they finally leaf out)

Sallyg and or Jill I have a wet spot that would love some siberian and japanese iris if possible

Ruby and Chantell I also have dry spots for some prickly pear pads pretty please.

Ruby. I'd like some try its of each of the day lilies you are offering.

Critter, Would love to try your climbing rose, lilac and kerria if available and either or both of your thymes if they take.

Sallyg, a Happy returns and a ruffled apricot daylily, please..

Gosh, this is better than spring seed catalogues arriving! Out to water after record heat yesterday. With this heat, bleeding hearts may disapper before the swap!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9085882

Pretty shade of pink Pat. Its harder every year to fit in a new woody plant.

Donnerville! A sunny area? You may include some of my overflowing Daylily selection.Talk about strong roots and gradual spread. I'm just not quite sure of which is which until they bloom. At the rate of this spring, it will be by Swap.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9085886

Gotcha coleup!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9085891

ssgardener, I did put you down for some chicks...been missing the new posts on this thread for some reason, but I got ya covered!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9085897

Coleup can I get a white bleeding heart, please?
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9085899

lol Gita!

Zone 4 is Burlington, Vermont where my daughter and two grandsons live (my real 'garden') Of course by the time I get there global climate change may make them zone 5 or even 6! Down here I,m already much closer to 8 than 7. Who knows??? Reserving 'visitation privileges' for any offspring plants I share!

Here we have to fill 3+ seasons of color...There it is only one. Lilacs there are phenomenal and daylilies are a mainstay of summer exuberance, and it is cool enough to be outside enjoying it. I think Id rather spend the winter inside than the long humid hot summers here huddled by the ac!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9085925

Do we need a Part Two swap discussion thread Holly?

Do I need to be keeping track of what I have requested from others or will requests be labeled with my name somehow?

Jen, I'll swap you a white bleeding heart for some stellas, please.

This message was edited Apr 17, 2012 9:15 AM

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9085984

Not a problem Coleup

You usually keep track of your own list
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9086047

Coleup, most of my cuttings are still looking good, so I'm hoping I'll have those for you!

Pat, that's such a pretty pink on that crepe myrtle. Maybe we could trade for a butterfly bush or lilac? I think you'll have more sun this year with some of those trees down.

I'll probably try to make a list of what I've asked for at some point just to simplify things on the day of the swap... but I'm also going to put people's names on the plants and hopefully be organized enough to group them into different boxes (or at least into piles as I unpack the car, LOL).

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9086122

I try to keep a 'Promised" list in my Have and want post. Someone else did that first

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9086177

Sally, day lilies are probably good for that area. It is pretty sunny there. I would love to take a few if you divide them. Dividing day lilies is no fun though. Are you sure you want to do it? I have loads of ornamental grasses in the garden, and they are overgrown and dying in the center. I just cannot deal with digging them out of the clay+rocks soil and dividing them :-(

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9086210

I did a walk-about my gardens last evening, and this is what I think I will have to share. Maybe more to add to the list later... I'll paste this info on my reserved spot on the have/want thread.

Korean lilac 'Palibin'
Common Violet
Miscellaneous Hosta
Miscellaneous Daffodils - most are white and/or pale lemon yellow
Baptisia 'Purple Smoke' - 2 divisions
Hardy Geranium noname - 3 divisions
Phlox 'Katherine' - 3-5 divisions
Stachys 'Humelo'
Spiderwort noname
Cimicifuga - 2-3 divisions
Crested iris

So many interesting things everyone has - I need to re-read thru the chats to make my 'want' list. I'm on a quick lunch break right now, so I'll peruse when I get home. Can't wait to see everyone.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9086212

Sally 8^) , I'll just bring any extras along. John and Ruby gave me several really nice ones few years ago. They have been getting big. Last fall I decided that they'd be happier if divided and moved so some of that job is already done. And last summer, John gave me a huge clump of my beloved Happy Returns. I've split that too. So I have plenty if not knowing what all of the names or colors are!

Yes big grasses are tough to deal with. O I think you asked for my Bunny tails- They are not looking too good.
8 ^(

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9086243

Sally, I am looking forward to planting day lilies and whatever else that will stop the erosion.

Bunny tail is a much cuter grass. Mine are the variegated type that have got a life of their own. I might have to dynamite them one of these days :-).

Terri, may I have a Baptisia 'Purple Smoke? I have heard that Baptisias are not easy to divide, but divisions will bloom a lot sooner than babies started from seed. I grew a few (8 seeds in a seed pack) from seed a few years back - a different variety. Last year was the 3rd year of those plants and I got 1 flower stalk. Oh well. Hope they do better this year.

This message was edited Apr 17, 2012 1:22 PM
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9086249

Aspenhill you have some choice plants also! May I request a cimicimfuga and a spiderwort very pretty please?

Both Sallys my one clump of miscanthis grass has never been divided. It is growing in 6" of soil (originally 12") in my sunniest location, an old blacktop driveway. I have to laugh because it is growing ontop of itself about 8" above where soil level would normally be. Seems happy enough, very reliable and always has one or more preying mantis eggcases on it. I use the jet spray setting on my hose to loosen and tease apart clumps of hard to divides after I have leveraged out the clumps inspring when soil is moist and the most diggable of the year.

This year being so dry, I predict that most of the beauty booty I come home from the swap with will live in containers and pots for the season

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9086259

aspenhill, what colors are the noname hardy geraniums?

Does anyone have a hellebore? I just need 1

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9086283

Critter, may I have some of your Coral Honeysuckle? I had a nice big bush very near to our very large generator. Last year when we were without power for 4 days, the horrible exhaust from the generator killed the honeysuckle and other stuff that was near it.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9086308

Terri raising hand for Korean lilac plez n thank you

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9086319

we are like kids in candy shops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9086349

LOL, Sally, no kidding!

I love lilacs! I'll have a couple of good-sized ones to share one of these years... I planted out some last year that had been in pots, and I know there are at least 3 of one kind... but I don't know which ones! So, once they bloom, I can ID them, and then I'll dig a couple up and replace them with varieties I don't yet have. :-)

Aspenhill, could I please have a piece of your 'Katherine' phlox? Thanks!

I've got a "promised" list started -- I think that's a good way to keep track -- but I was just noting that I hadn't updated in a while, so if you don't see your request on it, that doesn't mean anything.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9086351

Jan, could I please request one of your Hakone Grass? My mom would love it, and I know just where to put it in for her.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9086352

Hahaha, yes for sure and now that I just listed my haves, I now went through all the lists and have some more NEEDS. Ummm... I mean wants. Please and thank you I also will check with my friend who is coming and see what she has to add to our HAVES. She would like a burning bush if anyone has one.

Holly: could I please add some poles, sweet cream marigold, lemon balm and black pussy willow

Coleup: if you have any alocasia or colocasia, or banana left, cinnamon fern, and white bleeding heart

Critter: crooked willow, KC spearmint, and Hillary's sweet lemon mint

Sally: A native redbud, sedum blue spruce, a white lilac if available and kerria

Ecnalg: campanula Elizabeth

RosesRRed: Verbascum southern charm

Ssgardener: sedum John Creech

Donnerville: coneflower, Oenothera tetragona, red amaranth

Ruby: rose campion

Kubileya: zinnia, cinnamon fern, love lies bleeding

Aspen hill: cimicifuga

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9086357

Yes, ma'am, Critter.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9086386

Ma'am? Oh, please. I have a couple of cuttings of the crooked willow that I took in March, and they're starting to sprout out, so I think I've got you covered there.

RRR, coral honeysuckle cuttings are looking good, also!

Looks like I might have some butterfly bush babies, too... cuttings from 'Black Knight', 'Pink Delight' and (I think) 'Royal Red' all are still green.. 'Black Knight' are big cuttings, the others are tip cuttings.

I just yanked out a ton of 'Hot & Spicy' greek oregano... will pot it up in a bit... no problem having enough to go around, and it's a different flavor than Sally's greek oregano, so you'll need both!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9086415

Heehee, thought you would get a charge out of that.

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9086426

Jan23, we'll put your name on a couple of the Elizabeths.

Terri, please, please could we have a Cimicifuga and the other baptisia if it is not spoken for. I only saw one request for that, but might have missed one. I remember how beautiful they were when you hosted the swap.

Jill, you are first in line for the Crepe Myrtle plants. We do have a bit more sun now, but Greenthumb says it is not enough to get good growth or blooms from it. The mama plant is soooo tall, trying to get to the sun. I love them, but don't want to take out more of our woods.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9086434

Ecnalg, thank you . Was there more than one c. Myrtle? If so, could I add that to my list, too?

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9086437

Jan23, we could fill the back of the SUV with burning bush plants. I'm sure I can find some that Greenthumb has not pulled up that are a good size. Under the mother plant, there is an entire forest of seedlings. I'll put your name on the smaller Crepe Myrtle.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9086454

Thank you dear for the cm. LOL, I don't think my friend wants a whole vehicle full, maybe just one or two.

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9086456

Not to worry, we won't bring her that many, Jan23. I was just trying to reassure you that we had some to spare and also hint that it is a wee bit invasive.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9086461

Yep, I seem to remember as DG article "Don't be burned by burning bush".. catchy title... LOL... let me look for a link... http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3082/

Jan, your friend really might be better off looking for an alternative (Carrie listed a few possibilities in the article).
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9086465

Hm, I put my request for Jan's plants on the wrong thread but DG isn't letting me edit right now. Sorry about that folks! I'll delete the other one as soon as DG lets me.

Jan, I'd like an oakleaf hydrangea and a carex please.

I hope I'm not being too greedy by asking for both hakone divisions! :-)
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #9086475

Heehee, that's why the bb isn't on my list. I'll make suggestions to my friend. Thanks for the link.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9086478

Ssgardener, okay, got you covered.

I'll wait til later to edit the other thread.

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9086491

Jan23, I won't dig any for a bit. No problem either way. May I please have a NOID oak leaf hydrangea and a Siberian iris?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9086557

SSG, I dunno, we may have to tussle over that second hakone grass division... I asked firstand on the right thread! ROFL!!

oregano is all potted up! whew! I'm glad I'm getting some of this dividing and potting done earlier this year.. the starts will have a chance to fill their pots with roots. :-) I potted up a few Kentucky Colonel Spearmint clumps yesterday... the very best for mohitos (and mint juleps of course).
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9086560

Gee, step away from the computer for a couple hours and all sorts of trading takes place.

Jan23 pretty please, siberian iris, oak leaf hydrangea and lilac.

Yes, your name will go on an elephant ear, and what I am almost certain is a white bleeding heart (Can't wait for greenthumb and Pat's 'Candy Hearts' to start dropping seeds!) but the fern I have is Ostrich fern, not cinnamon. Still want one? LMK
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9086698

Boy did this thread get long.
Here is part II for you to keep your Chatting and Swapping going.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1252928/
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #9091229

Gosh, where are you all getting all these plants you're planning on sharing? Gita, do you start plants under lights to have all those starts this time of the year? I started yesterday looking around for plants that I can pot up and bring along..Hope I can keep them alive till 5/19! I have hardly anything compared to what you all are bringing. I will have plenty of pink creeping phlox that will need dividing and they are just about finished blooming now and starting to look shabby. and faded out. They have been show stoppers this year.

I feel like I don't have much to offer compared to what you are sharing. My growing space is limited. DH is fussing because I am trying to grow in 4 in. nursery pots and says I'm junking up the place and if somebody reports us, he'll throw it all in the trash..My answer to that is "Try it and you'll end up with a black eye and a broken arm!"

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9091278

Holly, I would love more of the Sweet Cream Marigolds that I got from you last year. Love that pale cream color!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 21, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9091373

Pippi, Terri, better go to the next thread so we don't all get seperated. See Holly's post just above yours.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9091702

Got you Roses,

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9098359

Sally, if you still have your White Lilac available, I would like to add it to my lilac collection. Thanks so much. Teri
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9110863

Asking a favor to all. Please Dmail me for your wants. It's a lot easier to include them on my promised list than looking through all the posts. Thanks a lot. Judy
p.s. Stay cool
p.s. My hardy Passionflowers are beginning to break ground. This is TOTALLY unusual where I live. Mine don't come up til end of June beginning of July, and I feel we are going to have an early winter but I am praying for not. I am trying to root some and if more comes up, I'll try to root them. Here's a pix.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer   Thumbnail by Buttoneer

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9110886

we're on #3 already you may want to post your request again there so everyone sees it
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1255638/
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #9129119

Well, the car is loaded up with chairs, a table, an umbrella, plants, and tomorrow, the piece de resistance, the Cream Cheese squares. Holly, I plan to stop at that little flea market on the way to your house, if it's open on Saturday, I also plan to stop at the Master Gardener plant sale at Claremont Road in Carlisle. Plants plants plants. Jeez, I hope I never get tired of them. Who, me? BCNU tomorrow and looking forward to it. Judy & Bob Showers.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2012
9:13 PM

Post #9129128

Yes it will be open. It's a nice little place.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America