Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Poultry and Livestock: New chicks (some with issues)

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 22, Views: 138
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

March 13, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9041751

Got our "Ornamental Layers" yesterday. Have quite a combination of cochins, polish, one mottled houdan, one gold laced wyandotte, one dorking, one buttercup (I think) and two salmon faverolles. For polish we have six WCB, one white, one buff laced, and two silver. Have one black cochin, one blue, two partridge and three buff.

The blue cochin has a bum leg that seems to go a bit sideways at the knee joint, but today she is getting around much better. These guys (gals) supposedly hatched last Friday, and I haven't seen her actually eat anything, but she's still up and around, so she must be getting something somewhere.

The black cochin looked DOA, and I dipped her beak several times, even though she was seemingly comatose, thought maybe she got a tiny bit, left her in a small plastic dish with the blue so they wouldn't get trampled, and expected her to be dead later in the day. Instead, she was upright and cheeping. But she is not eating and only drinks if I dip her beak.

One WCB polish was very small and weak and died last night.

And now one of the silver polish is looking a bit peaked this evening where up till now both of them looked fine and were bopping around like maniacs. I've made a slurry of chick starter, Quik Chik, sugar, and water, and dipped their beaks. The blue cochin and silver polish just look annoyed as they swallow some of it, the black sort of tips its head back and opens and closes its beak and I guess it swallowed some.

Last night the only way I could get any sleep was to take the blue and the black cochin, who were distressedly cheeping very loudly, and lay back on the couch and make a little "cave" on my chest with my hands, and they snuggled underneath and were quiet. I think I got two hours of sleep that way.

I'm not sure what the black cochin is living on either. It hasn't eaten anything as far as I can tell.

Anyway, here are some photos.

Thumbnail by gallesfarm   Thumbnail by gallesfarm
Click an image for an enlarged view.

gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

March 13, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9041756

Forgot - also have three dominiques.

Another photo:

Thumbnail by gallesfarm
Click the image for an enlarged view.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 13, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9041907

That sounds like an interesting collection!
I have maintained a couple of weak chicks with a slurry of yogurt, egg yolk and chick starter - painted it on their beaks to get them to eat.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2012
12:11 AM

Post #9042007

poor babies. I sure hope they improve and survive with your care
gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

March 14, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9042188

Porkpal, thanks for that tip. I was able to get the blue cochin to eat with that goopy mess. :) I started with using a spoon and getting it on her beak, but that wasn't having much success. But then I scooped some up on my finger, and put it in front of her, and it was like the "how to eat" light came on, and she started pecking and grabbing and eating off my finger, and then off my sweats were the stuff had dripped. :) She ate enough that I could see a slight bulge in her crop. She's also walking much better - able to pull that leg underneath herself and stand on both feet. I saw her this morning actually pecking at the dry chick starter in the brooder, but I gave her some more of the yolk mixture just to help her along. I think she'll be OK (praying).

On the negative side, the silver polish that was not doing well died overnight, and the black cochin was almost dead (again) this morning. I expect if I went and checked now it would really be gone. All I managed to do was prolong the dying for that poor thing.

And now one of the salmon faverolles is looking like it's thinking about giving up on life.

I've never had this kind of prolonged trouble with chicks before. Usually, if any are poorly, they die in the first day. That's maybe one or two out of the bunch. But having them seem OK, eating and drinking (or appearing to) for a day and then deciding to die is not the norm, at least in my experience.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9042250

I'm so sorry. Even when they have only been with you a short time, it's very hard to lose the little fuzzies. I would let the hatchery know, and ask if they have any thoughts. And yes, it has not been my experience to see this after the first day or two, either.
I hope that things look up from now on. I have to say my Silver-Laced Polish are among my favorites.

Thumbnail by catmad   Thumbnail by catmad   Thumbnail by catmad

gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

March 14, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9042468

They are very pretty birds. We had a WCB polish once before - it was the "free rare chick" and of course, a rooster. He was quite full of himself and tried to boss everyone around, but the larger hens wouldn't give him the time of day.

With this collection, since they are all unusual or rarer breeds, I'm not actually sure which one was the "free" chick. If one starts crowing, I guess I'll know!

I hope the salmon faverolle comes around. If not, I at least hope that the rest continue to do well. I may email the hatchery, although as it's only a relatively few number of chicks, it's not like they can send replacements unless I buy enough to make up another minimum order, which I don't need.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9042518

Hmm. Out of 9 Salmon Favorelles, I lost 3. I ordered 6 pullets and 2 roos, received 7 and 2. Of course, the 3 that died were pullets. They were the only ones out of 25 (6). Wonder if they're less hardy as chicks?

Sometimes they'll credit you, depending on the hatchery. I didn't bother, as I don't plan to order again. Of course, I hadn't planned to order these...

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9042628

Do you think maybe the weather had anything to do with your losses, or just shipping stress? I love your assortment , so sorry about the ones that didnt make it!
gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

March 14, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9042685

I think it's really hard to pinpoint a cause. The weather was not bad - not too hot or too cold. If it was that I'd have expected a lot more losses.

The faverolle is still not as perky as the others, but she did drink on her own when I put her by the water dish. I don't know though if she'll make it. The rest seem to be OK still, even the blue cochin looks better and I think it's been eating on its own because there's a bit more bulge in the crop area.

Catmad, I hadn't planned to order these either, really. I just got the baby chick itch when the weather started warming up. :-)
gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

March 14, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9043106

Oh, and sorry to hear you lost those pullets (why does it always have to be the ones you REALLY don't want to lose?). Maybe they are more fragile. Mine did not survive the day. She went from upright and drinking on her own to gone in just a few hours. The rest of the group does look OK though, and the blue cochin is definitely eating on her own. They are all doing that "popcorn" thing where they randomly ricochet around the brooder. :-)
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

March 15, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9043454

So sorry for your losses,I only got the two faverolles that time and they were pullets,had good luck with them,mine came from McMurray did you say where your came from?
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 15, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #9043808

I hope the survivors continue to thrive - how disappointing to lose those sweet little fuzzies!

I love the description of the popcorn phenomenon; I always wondered what to call it.
gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

March 15, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9044315

Yes, these were from McMurray.

I thought of another description tonight - chicken pinball! Ding ding ding! :-)

Everyone remaining is looking good so I think we are past the critical stage. The blue cochin is walking pretty normally now, and even tried a pinball maneuver herself today.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 15, 2012
9:45 PM

Post #9044514

oh that is to funny. Glad they are coming along well

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 16, 2012
4:36 AM

Post #9044627

I love Good news!
gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

March 18, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9047165

Now one of the WCB polish chicks has developed spraddle leg after a week. Can't quite figure that one out. They've been on newspaper covered with nice textured paper towel, so traction shouldn't be an issue, and after a week you'd think they'd be past developing that problem. So I cut a narrow strip of vetwrap and hobbled her and she's getting around OK after the initial freak-out ... "AAAH, there's something on my legs! Get it off! Get it off! Get it off! ... Oh, wait, I can stand up!"

titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #9047275

Hahaha...I can just see that in my head. Totally true.
gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

March 19, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9048265

Oooo, I think we have a Cuckoo Maran in the mix! At first I thought it was a Dominique (there are two of those), but it's definitely more grey in color than black like Dominique chicks, and has light/white colored beak and legs.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 19, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9048277

Exciting!
gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

March 19, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9049491

Some new photos. Chicks are now 11 days old. Group shot, and a shot of the silver gray Dorking.

Thumbnail by gallesfarm   Thumbnail by gallesfarm

gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

March 19, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9049506

Buff laced Polish and Mottled Houdan, and a bunch of WCB polish

Thumbnail by gallesfarm
Click the image for an enlarged view.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 19, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9049507

Looking good!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America