Photo Editing Fun - Page 50

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, my time flies ... here we are at a new page of Photo Editing Fun ...

We're coming from:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1240433/

OK, everyone, let's see some of your photo editing fun!

Here's a start ... it's getting close to that time of year (SPRING!) ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the new thread, Jubilada!

That is a wonderful wall of photos. And it certainly has your special touch. Very cool to have the portrait image and that sunshine at the top.

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Just for comparison, here's that tulip-gazebo HDR shot done in Photomatix, tonemapped (default)... I really like it much better than the other one, and there are no (bad) halos ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Jubilada, Thanks for doing that comparison. I do like the fact that there are no halos in the second one. I hadn't even noticed the halos in the first one until I processed my photo using that formula and you mentioned that they were in your image too. I also like the more normal, photographic quality of the second one. But, I must admit, I like that pop of W&C in the first one too.

I think what really makes this image special is the composition. I'm going to like it no matter how you process it!

I have found that in most cases, I always like what I can do in Photomatix better than in Photoshop CS5 HDR Pro. I don't even try processing my HDR images in Photoshop anymore. One of these days I might try the Nik EFEX pro (I think that's what it is called). I've heard good stuff about it, but I'm not ready to learn yet another photo processing program.

Memphis, TN

Really beautiful stuff, Jubilada. Like Patti, I'm going to like that photo regardless! I'm tip-toeing through those gorgeous tulips, making my way to the gazebo, with both in my focus. I don't have to sacrifice a clear view of one for the other even for a moment!

Well, I've been to Dixon Gardens again (yesterday) and have a few goodies to share.

1. ♪ Silhouettes on the Shade ♫
2. Azalea and bench
3. Magnolia
4. Tulip, Fotosketched
5. Wood Poppy

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

1. A small rivulet through the woods
2. Tulip
3. Along the walkway

These were taken along Cherry Road and can be a real show-stopper in the Spring:

4. Cherry Trees (enhanced with Picnik...for the life of me I don't know how I did it!)
5. Cherry Tree (Picnik)

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Wonderful bunch of shots, there, Miss Mary ... looks like Spring has really sprung in Memphis ... and has it been as warm there as my news stations tell me? ... Along the walkway is really lovely ... Love those cherry trees, especially that shot along the roadway with the fence ... very nice! I can almost smell the fragrance!

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Red branch in a pot mid azaleas ... with many modifications ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Miss Mary, What a treat! My cousin has a son living in Memphis. I think it's time to go visit Aaron so I can sneak off to Dixon Gardens when they are not looking. That tulip with the shadows is a really fun image. The one on the left is a bird! And, that song will be running through my head the rest of the day. ^_^ Had to look up the words.
http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/the_rays/silhouettes.html

Wow! The magnolia tree has changed in the short time from the last photo. Ditto what Jubilada said - the image with the cherry tree and the fence is such a lovely scene and so nicely composed.

Jubilada, That is another wonderful composition. I love how the red branch flows up through the image. The colors work so well together and the framing really appears to be 3D.

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

I thought I might comment a bit on my gazebo-tulip shots. They were inspired by what I read in a couple of books by Bryan Peterson:: "Understanding Exposure," and "Understanding Close-up Photography." In these books he talks about "storytelling apertures," specifically with wide-angle lenses (which I now understand sometimes offer a greater depth of field than other lenses might). So, trying to follow the examples he cited in his books, I targeted the tulips and the gazebo in Gamble Gardens. I manually set the focus at 3 feet, and set my aperture at f22, focal length at 24mm. The camera was on a tripod, and it was quite low to the ground. I was in aperture priority for the 3-exposure series, and I believe I set exposure compensation to -2/3 for the other shots. I know I shot a whole bunch, so what you've seen here are the only examples I felt were successful enough. I was certainly happy to see the great depth of field! Sometime soon, I hope, I'll take some shots at Filoli Gardens ... we'll see ... next week I'll revisit Coit Tower, but who knows what the weather will be like!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Cool info! It is so interesting to understand how a shot was made. Yep, the wider the focal length, the greater the DOF. You should see the DOF for my fisheye. You don't hardly even have to focus the thing. I was thinking about getting the Bryan Peterson Close-up Photog book. Understanding Exposure is probably the best book I've ever read on Photography.

I found a bunch of videos on YouTube that Bryan has done.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bryan+peterson+photography&oq=Bryan+Peter&aq=1&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=1&gs_upl=35759l39828l0l43753l11l11l0l0l0l0l317l1460l2-2.3l5l0

If that long link doesn't work, just go to YouTube and search for Bryan Peterson.

I really want to try some of this stuff.

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks for that link, Patti, I will definitely check it out ... I also love that "Understanding Exposure" book ... but I have to keep re-reading and re-reading, because my point of view/experience changes so often it takes me a while to "grasp" certain elements! Whew, it's hard getting old! But, I definitely recommend that "Understanding Close-Up Photography," too ... great stuff, not meant to be digested in one sitting (of course) ...

Memphis, TN

Oh, I almost forgot this one....I stopped for lunch at Krystal yesterday and, wanting to eat in my car, I looked for a shady parking spot. Yes, Jubilada, it is as warm here as you've been hearing! Anyway, as I was eating, I looked up and saw this bit of reflective magic...edited with Picnik (HDR-ish et al):

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Miss Mary, that's a swell reflection shot ... I love it!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes, me too! It's a quadtych! What a cool way to make triptychs or quadtychs in this case. Is there a word for that? I dunno.

I was playing around with Depth of Field (DOF) when I was out shooting at the Park. Here's a comparison of apertures. I was in Av, so when I changed the aperture, the shutterspeed changed to keep the same exposure, but everything else is exactly the same. Camera was on a tripod and I processed the two images exactly the same in ACR. Wish I had opened up to f2.8 or at least somewhere in between 2.8 and 8. I was already having trouble getting the whole flower in focus though, so I probably couldn't have gone any farther open on the aperture.

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Nice DOF demonstration, Patti ... I would pick the f8 (less confusing background) ... pretty little flowers!

Here's one of those "pretty much everything more or less in focus" pictures turned into a kaleido ... Azaleas ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Memphis, TN

All of the info you two share amazes me. Patti, I like #2 as well. It really draws out the main subject.
Jubilada, that's one fine, fine kaleido. I like that rich color and the multi-layer look. I would be proud to have that on my wall!

I went back to Cherry Road today. I believe the Cherry trees peaked out today. All those white blossoms in the bright sunlight had me coming down on my exposure to compensate in the photos I took Tuesday. Today, I didn't do that and I think it made for (somewhat) clearer shots.

1. Except for the utility pole, fire hydrant and bag, this one was good. I Fotosketched it but couldn't seem to "doctor" that much stuff out of it without it looking awkward.
2. Selective softening use on this one.

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

The one at f/8 is closer to what I usually go for when I shoot macro of flowers. I always try to get just my subject in focus and leave the background nice and smoothly blurred so it will not distract. I couldn't quite get it blurry enough in this case because the flowers were too close to the background. Many P&S cameras will choose an aperture that will do this on the Macro (Flower) setting.

Shooting where you have a lovely background and want the background in focus (Jubilada's tulip gazebo shot) is just the opposite technique. Most of the places I shoot don't have very nice backgrounds. I was able to try some of this when I was in Big Bend National Park. For this technique, you should use the Landscape setting on a P&S cam.

Love that kaleido, Jubilada! I'll echo Miss Mary. The vibrant color is beautiful and the layers really add a 3D look.

Miss Mary, Your cherry tree images are so pretty! They are just covered in blossoms! Wow. I really like both of them. The composition of the first is fantastic and the selective softening on the second is really nice to focus attention on those flowers.

It is very difficult to properly expose photos that have white in them. You did a great job. Snow can really be a problem too.

When you have mostly darker background and just a small area of white, the ones you posted before, you do need to underexpose a bit as you correclty did. You can always bring the exposure up in post processing, but if you blow out the whites, you can't get them back.

When you have a lot of white in the frame, your camera wants to make that white into approx. 18% grey since that is what camera meters do. So, believe it or not, when you have a lot of white, for example, your last photo, you actually want to overexpose just a tad.

Memphis, TN

Wow! I did something right without knowing it! I found that, when I tried to capture a row of the Cherry trees, the closest one(s) would be in (somewhat) focus and the latter ones would be awful. Not just in degrees of OOF that added loveliness, but in horrible-looking pixelated stuff. On my second trip to photograph them, that didn't happen as badly. Is that because I didn't bump the exposure so far back?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Miss Mary, The exposure shouldn't have anything to do with the focus. Something else changed too from one day to the next. The amount of "stuff" you have in focus depends on the aperture (f-stop or f-number). The bigger the number, the more you have (from front to back) in focus.

Most P&S cams use a very big f-number (which is actually a very small aperture to confuse the issue) when they are in Landscape mode to get as much in focus (large depth of field) as possible. So, if you want to get a lot in focus, use that mode.

I'll try to see if I can look at the EXIF in your photos and figure it out.

Patti

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Miss Mary,

I looked at the EXIF info for three of the photos. I couldn't see it for the first one posted on the 15th.

For the two posted on the 14th and the second one from the 15th, this is what I see ...

1 f/ 8.6, Hyperfocal distance 3.16 meters, 67mm focal length (35mm equiv)
2 f/ 4.3, Hyperfocal distance 6.33 meters, 67 mm focal length (35mm equiv)
3 f/ 4.7, Hyperfocal distance 14.13 meters, 105 mm focal length (35mm equiv)

What this tells me is that the two shot on the 13th (posted on the 14th) were using a wider angle focal length on your zoom lens. This is likely will account for the difference in your depth of field. That first one, at an aperture of 8.6 should have really had a very large DOF. It is a "big" aperture number (small aperture) and it was shot at the wider angle focal length.

As Jubilada pointed out, wider angle lenses will give you much more depth of field, all other things being equal.

When you start zooming in to those telephoto focal lengths, your depth of field starts suffering and you have to be very still and get the focal point just right on the critter's eye or whatever your subject happens to be.

Not to add confusion, but just for completeness, here's what will affect your depth of field...

1. Focal length which we've already discussed. (wider angle = shorter mm focal length = more DOF)
2. Aperture which I already mentioned (Bigger f number = More in focus)
3. Distance from camera to your subject. ( The closer you are to the subject, the less DOF)

So, if you shoot at the longer focal length (105mm) with a smaller f number (f4 ish) and are somewhat close to the subject you are focusing on, you will have a very narrow depth of field. That's what happened. I think...

The way you can fix it if you notice that you don't have as much sharpness from front to back as you would like is to zoom out some if you can, go to Landscape setting so cam will choose a bigger f number or choose one yourself if you can, back off of the subject some... It's all a trade off.

Hopefully some of this makes sense. I tend to make simple things more difficult.

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Good information Patti, and well put ... it's taken me quite a while to understand some of those elements ... always something to learn! Here's an excerpt from Bryan Peterson's book "Understanding Exposure," which deals specifically with "fixed lens" cameras ... It answered few questions as regard my "fixed lens" Canon G10... hope it's readable, and hope it helps!

Then, just for silliness ... I doctored one of my pink tulips ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's a rather stunning Iris ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Memphis, TN

Oooooh! That Iris is a fancy one! I like your torn edges, too!

I am going to read and re-read the information you two have shared. Thanks so much! It all sounds so confusing. Maybe I should commit it to memory (like we did with our Times Tables in school)!

Spring is happening so early here this year. Our last frost date is still a month away, so I'm really hoping for the best!

Today......
1. Yellow Rose of Texas bloom
2. My 3-year-old Redbud put out its first two blooms this year!
3. Mukdenia blooms (I though it died last year...)
4. It really was tiny!

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

Here's another one from the second batch, taken on the 15th. I used Picnik Orton-ish and some PSE9 tomfoolery (including the removal of a speed limit sign and wafting petal enhancement).

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Miss Mary, Good ones! I love that Redbud! That is such a beautiful flower shape and color. I like the background in that shot - complementary color and blurred. What a cute little spider! Lovely image of the cherry trees. I like how the fence extends from the corner back through the photo. That is a classic leading line. And I don't have a clue where that speed limit sign was.

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Well, Ladies ... here's my first YouTube submission ... Guess I'm into the 21st century a little bit further now ... still don't tweet, or facebook ... Hmm..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZUH01yUM-A

Please remember, this is my first venture into this realm .. and Miss Mary, thanks for pointing out that Windows might actually have a movie-making application!

(Edited because I put in the wrong link address ... tsk!)

This message was edited Mar 17, 2012 7:32 PM

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Jubilada,

Wow. Your movie making debut is a great success. Loved the photos and the music. Lots of photos in there we hadn't seen! I have to ask... Who played the guitar?

Ever since you posted that Wall of Springtime loveliness, I've wanted to make another wall. So, I made a St. Patrick's Day wall with some of my 2004 Ireland photos. Took me forever to remember how to do it. Cripes, by the time I get it posted, it won't be St. Paddy's Day anymore...

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Patti, thanks so much for that wonderful St. Patrick's Wall ... wow, Guinnes Stout and all .. and the sentiment, most of all .. wonderful collection of photos ... Erin go Bragh (spelling?) ...

The guitarist is me ... (which I suppose you guessed, anyhow) ...

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, Wow! I sure suspected it was you. My goodness, you are so talented!

Yep, that's how it's spelled. I thought about putting that on there, but opted for the Irish blessing instead. There are so many good Irish blessings, I had a hard time deciding.

I like this one:

May you be in
Heaven a half hour before the
Devil knows you're dead!

And, of course, the classic one:

"May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields,
And until we meet again,
May God hold you
In the palm of his hand."

Memphis, TN

Oh, wow! I am inspired, comforted and lifted up! Jubilada, your video and your music....oh! Such a delight! And Patti, your lovely wall and words of blessing and cheer! Just before plopping down at the computer, I was having some really low and difficult moments. And then I found two little angels had posted some lovely things to draw me out (and up!).

Beautiful!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Miss Mary,

Glad you are feeling better and glad we could help. You have done the same for me many times.

Whooohooo - First time I have been called an "angel". ^_^ If you could have heard me yesterday when I couldn't get that Wall action to work, I think my moniker would have come from somewhere lower in the cosmos.

Take care,
Patti

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Miss Mary, so glad our little musings were uplifting! Hope all is now well ...

After four days of dribbles (could hardly call it rain, at least in our area) ... I finally went out to check on my Community garden plot ... oh, what a little moisture can do ... the weeds are back ten-fold! Ugh!

But, my daffs and tulips sure looked pretty!

Memphis, TN

Really pretty Daffies and Tulips, Juilada. Isn't it nice to see them again?

I hit a low spot last night, just a bump in the road, I guess. A friend of mine had called to tell me about her elderly mother being admitted to the hospital. Our conversation brought back some memories of my mother and her last couple of years a little too vividly. I'm okay today -- those cheery little posts really lifted my spirit! (Patti, you're a hoot!).

Memphis, TN

My Camellia, looking up from down below it....had fun with the purple fringe on this one!

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Wow, what a gorgeous Camellia! Looks like you pretty much wiped out the "purple fringe" ... good job!

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

For years I've bought a calendar called "Cat Lovers Against the Bomb," which is produced by Nebraskans for Peace. Yes, I suppose it reflects my political proclivities ... but I digress ... the year I retired I decided to submit some photos of my kitties, to see if they'd be published. What do you know? They selected a picture. I submitted one for the next year, and what do you know? Etc. After three years in a row, I figured it was time to cool it (actually, they stopped selecting any of my selections) ... but I decided to try again this year ... and guess what? Consuelo will be the December cat in the 2013 calendar. I post here the trio of photos that were previously published, and the one I think they will be using (I submitted several, they didn't tell me which one ...) ... Consuelo is very excited! Oh, and yes, they have to be black and white (those people have a limited budget ...)

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Jubilada, Wow! Big congrats! To you and your model, Consuelo. She is gorgeous. All of those photos are exceptional. All of those kitties looking out the door is so cute and the last one is just beautiful. It really works great for December! Nice to see all of the flowers from your yard. So colorful and full of promise of more to come. I know about weeds. That's about all I have.

Miss Mary, That camellia plant is so pretty. I love that deep, deep red against the shiny green foliage. You paired up those complementary colors again. Red and Green, Blue and Orange, Purple and Yellow. I planted some orange zinnias last year so I could get a shot of the orange zinnias against the blue sky. Only one problem. They only grew about 5 inches tall. I would have had to dig a hole to get the camera low enough to shoot the flower against the sky. Best laid plans and all that ...

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's my first cabbage! ... those little imperfections (bug bites, etc.) prove that it's organically grown! ... LOL ... I know it will be sweet, and we've got some cole slaw in our future!

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh my gosh! You are off and running. Yummmmm. While I'm drooling, what kind of cole slaw? The kind with the mayo or the kind with the vinegar and oil? Or something entirely different?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.