Photo by Melody

Article: What to Do With All That . . . Parsley: I also love Parsley!!

Communities > Forums > Article: What to Do With All That . . . Parsley
bookmark
Forum: Article: What to Do With All That . . . ParsleyReplies: 16, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9042190

Parsley is one of my favorite herbs to grow. I grow some every fall here in New Orleans. But you gave me a great idea about letting it go to year 2 & self seeding. I'll certainly give that a try next year. Before the summer heat starts to make the plants bolt, I gather all the parley & dry it. Stored in jars, it will last until I get some more fresh ones. So, so much better than the dry, tasteless stuff you buy in the store.

Lately, when I watch one of the cooking shows on TV, I've noticed that when they chop parsley, the chop the stems along with the leaves. Not the course, main stems, but the little stems that hold the leaves. I've always picked off each leaf individually & chopped just the leaves. Chopping small stems would certainly make it go faster. Which do you do?
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

March 14, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9042774

I still have mine "alive" in the garden from last year. I do wonder if it will make okay parsely or I should dig it up.
I have always had it in the regular garden and at the end of the season I have had no choice but to allow it to be plowed under with all the other stuff.

But I made a separate small herb garden last year and it is still there?
Should I did it up or keep it??? Will it be bitter this second go around?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9042945

I buy frozen parsley (I know, cheating) but I would think you bumper crop folks could freeze it in an ice cube tray, no?
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9042968

Great recipes, Amber, thanks! I've never grown it, but now I want to.
Jomoncon, I agree, N'Awlins cooking deserves fresh herbs! I was born there, and my entire family is from there.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

March 14, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9043108

Jomocon;
I am sorry , your last questioned slipped by me ---I might not be the person to answer thought but anyway - I put mine through a food processor - little stems and leaves both and blend them to almost paste because I do not want to hear my now grown kids continue on their complaints that I put leaves in their food. Nope, don't want to hear it as they shovel it down.

After I read what you said about reseeding - I had completely forgotten! -- I ran out after I read your comment to see, and sure enough not only do I have the ones from last year, but at least four coming up on their own. I have heard the old ones are bitter, so now that I have so many - I think I will dig the old ones up and throw them away. Thank you! But darn, I already started some in pots a couple of weeks ago and they are already up - I wasted my time on that, but ---- one less thing to have to start from seed next year.

Hi Irish Carrielamont;
3 more days untill St. Patrick's Day. I made my neighbor (who by the way is from Mass and moved down here several years ago) a nice garden apron out of Green Irish Clover. Her husband and she vacationed a lot in Ireland, and he asked her to marry him while there, and then gave her a clover shaped green emerald for an engagement ring. They said they retired here because it looks like Ireland and the people here (they said, but I don't know) have the same attitudes and ways of the Irish. So I thought - oh well I should do something for them .
Has spring, sprung yet in Mass?
It most certainly has here. I planted cabbages today and went to the local farm store and bought some seed potatoes. Hung out my sheets too. Great day.

I had no ideat that Parsley could be bought out of the frozen section of the super market.
So, that means it would freeze up well then. Thanks for that information.

KyWoods;
Yes, the salsa and chili sauce garden stuff comes in about the same time, and the canning blends the flavors just right.

Some times I add oregano too (I ordered two really good varieties through an article written here on Dave's garden) . Believe me when I say there are really differences when it comes to oregano! - That is saying alot since I cannot hardly tell the difference in canned cilantro or canned parsely (fresh of course I can).

Fresh basil comes ready about the same time too - and if it is ready I will add that in too.

If you like cilantro - you should try parsely because it is not that different, plus parsley is easier to work with, I think; and you get more of it at a time -with less big stems and don't have to pick off the leaves so much as cilantro. Parsley is slower to bolt than cilantro. Cilantro bolts on me fast and then gone by the time the tomatoes come in, unlike parsely.

This message was edited Mar 14, 2012 9:25 PM

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9043447

Hey, I personally am NOT Irish. My husband is and my kids are 50%, but not me. I just subsist on Irish soda bread.

My husband says his mother was the world's worst cook, and he himself is one for "Special Prebottled Terriyaki sauce you could have made yourself for $1" for $5 and "Steak Marinade" "Chicken Marinade" and so on. Cook with that green stuff? Isn't it poisonous? That's why I buy it prepackaged, so it's not scary!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

March 15, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9044074

Carrielamont;
Everyone is Irish, Don't you know that? How do you know ya don't have some away back?.
Besides;
50percent is a high percentage and you are married to it - so that makes you Irish. Esp in March and only 2 days aways from St. Patrick's Day.
My neighbor is not Irish - well she could be. She was born and raised up right across the Ohio River from Lousiville, Kentucky on the Indiania side --- What does that make her" Then she moved to Mass to be a CEO for a health insurance company. It makes her rich and she is living in a log cabin!!!!! Well it is a nice log cabin.
But her husband's mother was Irish and her husband's Dad was a Mass. blue blood. Do you know what a Mass blue blood is??????
Regardless my Indiana born and raised - CEO from Mass. - lady neighbor has a shamrock shaped, green ,emerald on her hand - when she is not pulling the weeds out of her yard, or clipping back aspargus. But she has had many of a vacation in Ireland and that in my book makes her Irish enough.

Bottles of stuff to put on food. Sighhhhhh I have one of those husbands too. My husband would fill my refrigerator up/cram it full if I allowed it with Terriyaki,every brand of hot sauce on the market and has broken the shelves in the door from his collection. I love him dearly but he is in the dog house with me today/ he is on my very bad list -- I road home in the truck, with him today, and well you know that show on televesion called
"Hoarders"
I wonder if they would come for a truck -- ???
I guess not, and besides it is too late - we got it cleand out when we got home ---- as he insisted that it was important all this stuff needed to be in there. I counted three of those jumper cables in there. I put them in feed sacks and hung them on our big nice metal shed's wall.
I have got to get that building cleaned out soon too, hoarders are hard to stay ahead of.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9044080

Oh, it's the junk food wrappers in his car that drive me nuts! But it's be nice to husband's day today as he was exceptionally nice to me all day!
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9044669

Liquidambar2 wrote:

Bottles of stuff to put on food. Sighhhhhh I have one of those husbands too. My husband would fill my refrigerator up/cram it full if I allowed it with Terriyaki,every brand of hot sauce on the market and has broken the shelves in the door from his collection.

What is it with some men & bottles condiments? Just like yours, my DH would fill the fridge with every brand of barbeque & hot sauce on the store shelves if I let him. I finally had to make a new rule: When one new bottle goes in, another bottle must come out. Lately, he's been searching the more expensive places for new brands of barbeque sauce. At $5 to $10 a bottle!! Then he decides he doesn't like it, but keeps it in the fridge because he doesn't want to throw it away. I just don't get it.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 16, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9044903

Mine didn't realize that with relatively simple ingredients like soy sauce, pineapple juice, vinegar, sugar, pepper, limes, lemons, tomatoes etc., a myriad of DIFFERENT tasting dishes can be prepared with a variety of ingredients. Add a few funky ones like... oh, coconut and he's off!

Next I need to teach him to cook rice correctly.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

March 16, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9044988

Guys you are too funny.
I had forgotten the BBQ sauce, because that is the domain of my son. Puts it on everything.
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2012
10:23 PM

Post #9045704

Liquidambar2 wrote:Guys you are too funny.
I had forgotten the BBQ sauce, because that is the domain of my son. Puts it on everything.

Do you ever fix a nice dinner - like I did last night, a sauteed chicken breast with a really good white wine, lemon sauce, served over a bed a wild rice & fresh asparagus - just to have them smother it in barbeque sauce, or even worse, ketchup?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9046292

Ohhhhhhh, yes, DD#2 will only eat if it is covered in ketchup! She's a little young for the white wine yet.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

March 17, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #9046310

It is probably worse here Jomocon. Mine are on a very special diet for health reasons. A low carb diet. It takes a great deal of work and nothing close to any prepackaged foods ever makes it to my table, and 99% from our farm. --- and then they put this stuff on them full of carbs and MSGs (again with their health condition these condiments are not allowed) . Catsup is better than the BBQ sauce as far as carbohydrates and health wise are concerned though.

This message was edited Mar 17, 2012 4:39 PM

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9047203

Mine is supposed to be on a special diet.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

March 18, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9047832

Gluten, right?
Is that all?
Mine not only carbs but MSGs too!
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

March 19, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9048946

On the subject of condiments - my DIL is a ketchup freak and she puts it on every piece of meat that comes here way, including Thanksgiving turkey and every casserole. We are each a product of our upbringing, and so my preferences must seem as strange to her as hers are to me. But ketchup on turkey???? OMG!!!!!!! LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: What to Do With All That . . . Parsley Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great ideas for using parsley Cville_Gardener 20 Mar 21, 2012 3:52 AM
biannual vs. biennial KanapahaLEW 0 Mar 19, 2012 4:10 AM
Frozen parsley raerae1 0 Mar 19, 2012 8:14 AM
Eat the decorations!!!!!! wannadanc 2 Mar 19, 2012 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America