Photo by Melody

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: INTEREST !!! PERENNIAL PLANT SWAP 'APRIL TILL SEPT PT 2

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 105, Views: 668
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9042201

WE CAME FROM HERE :http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1241178/#new

NEW WANT & HAVE LIST THREAD : NO CHAT PLEASE

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1243397/

EACH MONTH WE WILL SHARE 5-6 NICE SIZE PLANTS AS YOU WOULD LIKE TO FIND IN A NURSERY IF YOU WAS TO GO BUY THEM.
THEY MUST BE LIVE HEALTHY PLANTS ,

APRIL WILL BE OUR 1ST MONTH TO SHARE PLANTS THERE IS REALLY NO LIMIT AS TO HOW MANY YOU CAN SHARE AS LONG AS YOU SHARE NO LESS THEN 5 .

YOU WILL BE ABLE TO LIST THE TYPES OF PLANTS YOUR LOOKING FOR . & WHAT YOU DO NOT WANT :)

THIS WILL GIVE US ALL TIME TO CHAT ABOUT THE TYPE OF PLANTS WE HAVE HOW THEY GROW IN OUR ZONE & IF OTHERS WOULD LIKE TO TRY THEM .
SOME PLANTS CAN BE INVASIVE IN SOME AREAS SO KEEP THAT IN MIND ALSO .

PLEASE SEEDLINGS DO NOT OR WILL NOT COUNT AS A PLANT
BUT CAN BE SHARED .

LET US KNOW WHAT TYPE OF PLANTS YOU WANT TO GROW . HOPE YOU WILL STOP IN & CHAT WITH US .
THIS STARTS INN APRIL SO KEEP WATCH .

MEMBERS

DEEJAY9/SUSIE
FRUITOFTHEVINE/SUSAN
PAINTEDACRES/JILL
WARRIORSWISDOMKATHY/KATHY
GOLDHILLAL/
MINNESIPPI/ STEPHINE
CRIT/PATTI
TINA_A/TINA
OUTLAWHEART81 / KELLY
CZIMMERMAN00 /CHRISTINE
POISONDARTFROG / ALANA
RICKCOREY_WA / COREY-------MAYBE
DIAMOND9192002 / ANITA
MUD_ELF
SCBUTTERCUP /
HAPPGARDEN
CVILLE_GARDENER/CAROL
BLUESPIRAL / KAREN
CHEERMOM /
OBERON46 /
CHELLFLOWER

Thumbnail by deejay9
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9042375

Ohh I am first in the room. So glad you are home too Susie. Please do not over do your self!!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9042450

Hi kriss yes your the early bird :) i just wated to say also thank you for your call during my hospital trip you all are just great group of gal & so caring ty. I have my drs apt this afternoon @3;30pm check up . it is in the 0's today i think sure warming up good .

luch is over i gave daddy an ONION Sandwish & he ended up eating 3 of them he now i know i won;t get sick :) he's so funny. anyway off to get my hair washed so i can be ready to go when jim gets home . ya all have a great day

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9042609

Oops! Posted in the old thread. So more pics of those cute little flowers there. ...And!!!!!!
Here we have some coral bells venus & i believe it's purple petticoats. I think slugs stole my plant markers! Lol
i can't believe these are still going! So glad i loooove venus. Not sure about the purple yet. But oh well these are next to a big ol sum and substance hosta in my forest garden.

Thumbnail by OutlawHeart81   Thumbnail by OutlawHeart81   Thumbnail by OutlawHeart81
Click an image for an enlarged view.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9042883

Lovely Heucheras, Kelly. I picked up a different one at Lowe's last week, Alabama something in the name, can't remember at the moment.

Had a good day driving in 80 degree sunshine today to meet a DG friend for a brief visit, then stopped for groceries.

Hope your appt went well today, Susie.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9042918

All went well Doc Kept me after class :) or after hours you might say to go over some of the test that was forwarded to him from the Hospital. He wants me to finish my antibiotic then go for my INR & PT Next Tuesday. for the cipro is going to have my levels messed up right now anyway . but he also wants another ct scan so not sure what they are looking for . what a Beauty full day I'm so excited there were tree trimmers working down the road from us so i called jim to go see if we could have the chips & WALA They are in my front yard :) maybe 10 yrs or more &The Best Part !!!!!!! IT WAS FREE !!!!!!!!

anyway then jim Put in a pool for MOLLY DUCK 1st DUNKING Bath she Has had all Winter Pour Girl But she sure feels good tonight :))) Whatta BRODER HEHE.

well MORE Great News I Have Buds ON My TULIPS & Daff Now should be open by the weekend .
well i need to go in & Tell daddy Good nite ya all be good till i get back .

susie

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 14, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9042936

Awesome day!!! :)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9042957

Yeah, aren't those tree trimmer people great? A couple of years ago, their crews cleared hardwoods for a new subdivision. I drove down and begged them to dump a few loads in our backyard, and they did...for free! It's still pretty coarse and used it in my wild child garden last year. It's time to start hauling mulch, love the way it smells and spreading it too. There's nothing like instant gratification.

Elfie, after I unloaded groceries, I went for a garden stroll and noticed a couple of mini hostas you gave me starting to peek out of the friendship bowl! At least a month early...geez

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9043150

I need to move all my hostas from down at the RV to up here at the new temp place,,sigh.. I am more than ready to be on a permanent place again...
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2012
7:57 PM

Post #9043158

I know you are and it'll happen, Elfie. Hang in there. Go get your hostas before somebody else claims them.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2012
9:38 PM

Post #9043228

Oh,, I will believe me. They are all in tubs,, just need to go get them.

jsxtiger

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9044179

well,well...good evening all! Beez watchin yall chatter, yall be having jist too much fun! and finally decided to join ya... need some fun! In the past few weeks, i have seen more of the hospital than i ever want too. my son was in ICU for 10 days, then gitting a new stinit near his heart (as a result of the car accident a while back, some of ya may remember). then when he came out, my husband went in 3 days later for total knee replacement. so now that both are running back/forth to P.T., ...i need ta git out and play in the dirt!!!!

I like the idea of choosing whch month ta play in, and i think April/May will suit me jist fine fer now. Those that know me...knows I recently discoved a luv fer vines...cant seem to git enuff of them. and sinc i have a smallish garden...that's a good thing...I grow up! lol yall also know I luv any type of plant/flower! I think this year I also fallin in love with grasses...since certain party introducd me ta elephant grass! WOW! so, kin i play...huh?

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9044185

I think i missplaced a post.
Here we go again.
I need to opt out for a little while. Seems i am moving. :(

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9044253

Kelly your Fine Please just come stay in touch when you can even just to chat :)

JSX: I Was Just about to Send the TIGER"S Out After you Sure Good to Have you with us
Now About those Grasses That ELEPHANT Grass starts small but can grow fast over a 5yrs span
mine was a 1ft clump & In 7yrs it is now 5ft round . & gets 12 -15ft high .
& You Need a Bulldozer to get it out .

I Will Be POSTING OUR 1st Swap SIGN UP THREAD On March 24th & will Close On
APRIL 1st How dose that sound to you all ??? you only sign up if you want to play .

well quit the day My brother worked rings around me ya all have a great evening .
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9044292

Kelly, that has to be unnerving. I'd be a basket case walking around in circles wondering what to do first if I had to move. I do hope it's a good move for you, though, and like Susie said keep chatting with us.

Jax...You're back! Ya know you're like a ray of sunshine :)

I'll be ready when you are, Susie, and will go with the flow.

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 15, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9044354

Thanks guys. I wish it was. I'll let you know when i get settled wherever the wind takes me.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 15, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9044389

deejay...what kind of grass are you talking about?? I've been wanting a tallllll grass and can't figure out the names of the behemouths. See, the deer can't see over one that tall. lol.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2012
5:18 AM

Post #9044650

GM ALL Kathy here is a link to the best picture of the ELEPHANT Grass i could find

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a129/skohler1949/2007 FLOWERBEDS/?action=view¤t=100_3281.jpg#!oZZ49QQcurrentZZhttp://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a129/skohler1949/2007%20FLOWERBEDS/?action=view¤t=100_3279.jpg

Thumbnail by deejay9

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2012
12:21 PM

Post #9045072

Fruity, was it Alabama Sunrise Croal Bell?
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9045168

That's it, Anita. Do you already have one?

diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9045183

No I don't have that one. I have the Brass Lantern, Georgia Peach and Southern Comfort. I love the CBs with the bright vibrant colors. I am going to try to propagate some of the ones I have by taking some cuttings. Has anyone ever takne cuttings from Coral Bells. Rooting cuttings is not one of my strong suits.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9045200

Never have tried them from cuttings but have found they're easy to divide if your clumps are large enough.

jsxtiger

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9045203

i love my elephant grass, beez looking for a couple more. tis good ta see yall agaain...after the winter that never was!!!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9045317

I have a few Coral Bells but not a clue of the names will share what I Can if anyone likes .
also I Wanted to ask your feelings on Partners when it comes time to chose up Partners is everyone ok with the fact that I Post Partners on the thread & It not be a secret ???

I just don't think I will be able to keep tract of everyone as who has sent or received if we have 15-20 players it would just be easier to keep tract on the threads & Hopefully I Won't pair you up with the same person another time.
GREAT GLAD WE ARE ALL OK WITH IT HEHE.

STILL GOT THAT NAGGING COUGH, & Chest Congestion so going to lay back early been up since 4 :30 am
ya all have a great evening
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9045382

I vote you make it easy on yourself, Susie, and post our partners directly on the monthly threads. And you know I don't mind sending to or receiving from the same person once or multiple times from luck of the draw. I'm just glad to be here and in good company :)

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9045806

TY SUSAN i'm sure everyone will have a great time . in here once these plants start flying :)
80's today going to sit daddy back in his chair then off to the outdoors to walk the gardens & feed water the critters :)

ya all have a great day back soon
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9045846

Morning everyone, sounds like everyone is having an early summer, we have been in the 80's everything is growing...heavens.

Got the yellow car back, those deer per pound are costing me a fortune, but the car looks really good. Gas for the pu for 5 days was costing me 90.00 and Missouri has cheap gas prices...or better than most states.

Susie girl you had better take it easy, it is your turn to be taken care of. What ever is easiest for you to do the swaps will work for me.

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9046028

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY everyone. Be sure to adorn some green!

Fruity, I never knew the real name of the Muscari. I always called them Grape Hyacynth because they look like a bunch of grapes, but I know they aren't a hyacynth. lol

Kelly, do you have a picture of your sum & substance hosta? I was looking for a pic of mine to post but cannot find it. I have a hosta that I think that is what it is but not sure. It was here when we bought the house. I have taken a bunch of divisions from it for the swap. I think I have 9 now, most have several eyes, but are not up big enough to call a 'plant' but won't take them long. Would those be OK to use as a plant?

My tulip bed is so pretty. Just about all of them have opened now but still more buds in the wings. Pink, Purple, Red, Orange, Red/White ... lots of color! I noticed yesterday my Oriental Lilies are coming up. I have been cleaning all the weeds out of the bed where my Devil's Trumpets, Rose of Sharon and Holly Hocks are. I am enlarging it too. Finished up the bed around the Bird Bath where I have Dutch Iris FOTV sent me, Eye of the Tiger. I have several beds to clean out but am going to wait on them until May 1 when I know the chance of freezing is over. Right now I am concentrating on getting the weeds out of the beds that aren't covered by leaves.

It's your party Susie, you can handle it however you want to. You are the unanimous voter. :-)

We've been in the upper 70's and 80's for more than a week now. 70's on Monday with 90% chance of rain, then down to the upper 60's for a while. I moved a bunch of cells from my jiffy greenhouses into pop bottles, like I use for my ws'ing, and set them outside so I don't lose due to damping off. I have a terrible problem with that! So, will have more plants later on as they grow bigger and better.

Time to go out and play in the dirt some more. The wind is blowing but it is 72* and I will be setting on the ground, so won't be too bad. Have a great day everyone!
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9046068

Susie, I agree with Susan. Make it easy on yourself.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9047219

My computer is dead, having to use hubby's laptop is the pits, but at least I can get on. Those who have send D-mails, please know I'm not ignoring you, just can't see worth a toot. Little keys, fat fingers, and bi-focals don't mix too well. 0:)

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9047286

Susie, do make it easy. You do so much and you don't need to wear yourself out with this.

We'll be just fine. :-)

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9048864

afternoon ev1 out cleaning up their gardens & working on your Tans ??? i got some weeding done this early morning then had to go for blood test . just wanted to share a couple BLOOMS with ya .
1st are my TULIPS , then my Daff's , & Can you believe PULMONNARIA"S are starting to bloom.

i just found a ew love for POLEMONIUM purple rain & Primula Primadiente rose . take as many as i can get :))))
also Oenothera i have the yellow one would like peach color or pink one .

off to look for sales :))))) i sure plan to do easy this year .

Margaret will be here tomorrow for a week or two so i should be able to get out side much more.
she is doing well she has lost over 100lb from 368 down to 195 lb i wish i could lose the 50 still holding but jim has nnot lost either so all bets are off till we are up for it :) .

well off to play bacck later

Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 19, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9049401

I dug a huge clump of Joe-Pye yesterday to share with all of you who requested some. I still need to dig the bleeding heart. It is starting to pop. Sedum is popping...The peony are popping, the trees are popping...I couldnt be more excited! And now its raining so even more to come.
I have 9 of you on my list plus I think I will pick April for my swap month..Maybe May - I will confirm by next week. It will give me a better idea of what will be ready to trade.
scbuttercup
(Judy) Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9049549

Susie what is the plant in the photo with speckled leaves and oink flowers?

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9049830

Judy that is a pulmonaria i traded for last sprig for about 5-6 different ones some are still quite small but there is 3 of them full of buds. i want more :)
my body is so stiff & sorry i dug up 60+dwarf irises sunday & shipped them out yesterday . so my trading has begun :) & my body Hurts so bad for being so out of shape .
possible 86 * today so will get what i cann do early this morning i can't be in the heat of the day .
well gotta get daddy in his chair Margaret will be here later to spend a week with him so jim & I can play out side. you all have a great day i hope to get a few of my plants in pots also.

susie
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #9050124

Minne, does peony grow from ground each year? I added starts of peonies and hydrangeas last year. I do not see any signs if new growth yet. I'm hoping they made it through the winter.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9050161

Last night we had the iris guy from the iris farm up the road from me come talk to our group about spuria iris. I picked those over bearded because I was pretty sure no one except maybe a couple of us knew what they were. The talk was so gooood. From the time the plant sets seed to the first bloom is average around 5 years...wowzer, who can wait that long...then for him to get enough to sell is anywhere from 3 to 5 years. So some of you youngins out there need to start doing spuria iris and you can sell them and have money for old age...rofl... If memory serves me right from the original spuria iris to the hybrids they are only in the 6th generation. Where bearded iris were being hybridized I think back in the 1600's! He just had all kinds of good stuff like that. He had won an award in Moscow, Russia and I asked how that works. What happens is you mail them a plant 3 years a head of time, along with the plant you send an envelope with a number on the outside, inside the envelope all sealed is the grower and the info. The people in Russia (actually this is how it is done everywhere except the United States) plant all the iris for the competition then 3 years later they judge. Once the winners are announced they open the envelope to find out who won. He said he received a huge gold medal all written in Russian, but he didn't know what place he had won, he thought he must of placed first as big as the medal was...but he found out it was 3rd once he had it translated, but he was tickled to death... That is a cool way to judge, no buddy, popularity contest, just if it is a beautiful plant.

Raining here, gonna rain all week...spring has arrived.

The first picture is an expensive one but love the color, but I have several that cost 5 to 10$ range. Second picture is one around 7.00$ I also have the original spuria that I dug from an old farm house that I know I have shared with several people on Dave's, it is white and that is what the 3rd picture is. I can't remember how long they have been in the ground, but I have several clumps of them. I just really like these plants and they are really tall.

Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden   Thumbnail by happgarden

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9050205

SUNNY 75* RIGHT NOW :) JUST SITTING HERE SPENDING money on plants i should not do but when i have to sit in the house this is the trouble i get into .
& now you have gone done it happ i thought i had spent enough & Now you have me looking for these sHAmE ON YOU . back later .
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9050284

Susie are you finding any hardy geraniums or coral bells (new colors)?

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9050445

nothing yet have you ?? I'd like more geraniums i have just one pink one that is about a 3 ft x 3ft
that i hope to share this year.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9050623

You have a hardy geranium that 3 ft tall or a annual? I have not found any hgs that I like. No coral bells either.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9050650

susie the spuria's are not mailed until late in the summer, rofl, so at least they won't be in the middle of planting everything else. I shipped these out to a few people all over the country and they have done well in cold and heat, they do not need cold to bloom like the other iris. It is just such an interesting plant. Look at http://www.comancheacresiris.com he is not the only one selling them but his did well for everyone I sent them to.
Yeah if I was home during all this rain, I would be looking at pictures and wanting everything...rofl.
Glad you are getting some help comin your way. Sounds like your sister is doing really well at losing weight...wow I need to get with it. There must be something going around because one of our master gardeners just got out of the hospital with pneu...also...

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9050811

Happ... those are absolutely gorgeous, and that web link, wow!!! I'm thinking I have some of those spuria iris, mine are light lavender and I wanna say white, I found them at the Denver Botanic Gardens and got a few at their yearly sale. Mine are shorter at 20-24", maybe 30". Will have to get pix this year.

Got a new geranium late last summer, is a chocolate foliage with pink flowers> Geranium "Cheryl's Shadow". Wanna see how this one fairs, love the hardy geraniums. Deejay..is that g. 3ft tall? If so which is it?
Diamond..generally in zone 5, most peonies don't bloom til Memorial Day (may 30ish- early june), this year many are having weird winter weather and some might be early, mine aren't up yet.

pix: dianthus X rainbow loveliness and geranium Rozzane, love it cuz it blooms all summer.

This message was edited Mar 20, 2012 7:50 PM

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2012
3:57 AM

Post #9051057

Very pretty! :-)
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9051096

Kathy, I love that dianthus. Is it the "spooky"? I started some from seed again this year. Last year the dianthus bloomed but was not much of a show. This year I planted the spooky, velvet and lace with burgundy and vanilla scabiosa. And where did you find that geranium? I love it! Can you telll I fall for the deep, rich colors?

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9051162

GM I meant to say it is 3ft around not 3ft tall :) & The smell when you stand next to it is sure geranium smell :)
Happ those Irises are beautyfull , I Have a yellow type iris that I'm not sure where I Got it or type it is when it Blooms I Will post it.

this is the geranium plant jim burnt part of it while burning the grasses out there . then the other is of the pussy willow its about done blooming.

Margaret is My dads wife who now lives with her Daughter In IND she comes & Spends a week or two with us
to be with daddy but she is not able to care for him full time . but it is good she is here now so i can get other things done ..

ya all have a great day i will check back in later also .

Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9051435

Oh Deejay, I knew that...duh what was I thinking with Margaret, just glad you got some help and you need to rest.

There is a water iris that reminds me of the spurias, but spurias don't like wet feet. The spurias up here bloom after the bearded, but I think I heard down south they would bloom around the same time as the bearded. Japanese iris are really pretty also, they have flattened looking blooms instead of upright like most iris.

Oh yes Kathy please post a pic when you get blooms I would love to see them. Jim was telling us how difficult it was to name an iris, since there are so many varieties that he has to submit and resubmit to get a name that isn't registered yet on the bearded iris. Just so many things like that as a gardener I don't even think about.

Wow Kathy we are the same zone and my peonies are up at least a foot already, really worries me because it is really early...

So many flowers, so little money...rofl.
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9051486

Happ, does your peonies grow from the ground each year? This is my first ful year with peonies. I cannot tell where they were planted. LoL I didn't cut them down but there's no stalks left. I know I have bunnies and voles so I don't know if they knawed on the stalks or if the peonies die back to the ground each year.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9051574

Anita they do die all the way down to the ground and without a few dead stalks I do not know where mine are either. They will start growing out of no where. Mine are really early this year, I am guessing normally they come up in April and bloom about a week before memorial day, the reason I say that is the older generation in my family always want to take them to the cemeteries but they are usually about gone by then or on their last leg.

We haven't had a cold temp hardly at all this month, so everything is going crazy...

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9051595

Afternoon all Just got out of the best shower after a hot morning in the yard :) decided to go to bingo tonight & I Need to leave soon Don't start till 6pm but i'm taken the neighbor gal with me & She is Handycap so want to get close so she don't have far to wake I Don't have a handycap Tag .
right now i have to go fix me some coffee to rejuvinate this body :)))) ya all have a great evening , Keep pics coming :)
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9051599

I have been thinking about going out throwing a little compost down. I feel like to I need to feed everything because all the flowers are waking up. Planning to make a little compost, alfalfa tea to reward all the babies who came back from the winter.

I have noticed some green on my butterfly bushes, euphorbia, sedum, mums, daylilies, rose of sharon, agapanthus and roses.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9051856

Do any of you rose growers have Lady Banks? I'd like to know how to propagate mine going on two years old and came in a gallon pot. She's the only one I have so far, is budding out now, and starting to twangle nicely on one side of my arbor. On the other side is a Carolina Jessamine I've babied going one three years. I'd also like to know how to root cuttings. My goal is to have a 'frame' of Yellow fragrant blooms covering the arbor...one of these years. I could Google how to do both, but would rather ask if any of you have started them, and how and when.

Last week, I gave my White Butterfly Bush a good pruning, wet the stems, dabbed on rooting hormone powder and stuck them in fresh potting soil. Fingers crossed these take since I'd like to share some at our RU in June and also offer them during the year in these monthly swaps. Also took a few Russian Sage cuttings and did the same.

Bulbs are about done with the heat we've had, except Tulips which are just starting to open. They all got beat down yesterday afternon in a rain storm. Made weeding the Hostas an easy job today. Several eyes are popping up at a record early pace. Haven't checked the handful of Peonies I have planted around a birdhouse post. I like them, but they don't like me too much. Traditionally, Peonies around here bloom around Mother's Day. Course that could change this year, given how warm it is.

Forgot to mention Sedums, Mums, Daylilies, Agastaches, Missouri Primrose, Shasta Daisy, Asters, and Monardas are greening up to the point deer have already found the Daylilies.

This message was edited Mar 21, 2012 6:09 PM
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2012
4:00 AM

Post #9052370

I have seen folks start roses by laying a cane over on the ground, placing a stone or brick on the cane to keep the cane in contact with the soil and then they should start, you cut it loose from the mother plant, once it has rooted and walla...course I haven't tried it, but sounds the easiest... Do you like lady banks? I have read some good things about it.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9052958

Oh Fruit... a Lady Banks rose, oh yummmmmmy!!! Roses are the few plants I have, added a couple of shrub type from wallyworld last fall. But I WANT some of the old types, shrubs, climbers and pillar types. This is the area of gardening I would like to successfully learn...I know patients is a virtue. LOL. Good luck with yours tho.. Here's one that is a spring only from my little house on the prairie, got a few years ago and has grown nicely, problem is it's at my daughter's house, hmmmm, maybe it's time for some replanting. The fragrance is spectacular though.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9052983

Kathy try getting a start of your beautiful rose bush at your daughters house like Fruity is...
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 22, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9053006

Kathy, that is a beautiful rose! I love the color. What does your daughter feed it?

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9053247

Someone wanted to know how to do cuttings , well the best way is the old fashion way as Happ mentioned
lay the branch on the ground with a little dirt & A ROCK Laying on it workes every time & I Do the same for all my vines & Even did a HYDRANGEA That way also .

I HOPE To Have a few CHOCOLATE Vines Rooted will know if they take IN a few weeks will let you know as soon as they are rooted.
well i have been MULCHING All day & My arms are so sore just got out of the shower & Now going in for my back rub going to bed with BEN GAY & Will wake with arthritis I'm sure :)

well you all have a great evening I'll be back tomorrow
scbuttercup
(Judy) Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9053393

So much to do I'm bursting! Seedlings that I'm sprouting indoors have germinated and are on their way to their first set of true leaves. Got started late but everything is shooting up like crazy, even the things under lights indoors. It's like they can tell this is going to be one heck of an early summer. All the wonderful flower seeds that Crit (Patti) sent in my Valentines box are going strong and I'm thinking of ways to enlarge my flower beds to make use of all that full sun. Plus I'm branching out to the shady side of the house where the AC units are, it's nice and wet over there and I have totally missed the possibilities. Had my husband prune the rose of sharon that was growing wild, laid out some edging and now the next steps are to add spread the bags of topsoil, divide the forgotten hostas and add the lilies of the valley bulbs I picked up at Aldi (!). Snagged a shade loving native woodland poppy at the church plant sale last year and it's coming back up even though it was langushing last year in the too-sunny home I'd found for it. Maybe I could move that in to the new shade garden, and somewhere in the seedlings I've surely got some stuff that might like a little shade. Did I mention the asparagus planted last year has all come up? And I'm the proud owner of two brugmansia, a plant I've never before attempted. And people expect me to function in my job when my mind is really back here in the garden. I love spring.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9053513

Diamond... no, the dianthus is X Loveliness. And my daughter does not use fert. or should I say I haven't put any on it yet, lol. I'm her gardener.

Happ...I will just dig a few canes, probably should do soon.. Hey, I did layer a clem last fall, looked today and saw that it had rooted, yeahhhhh> will have to attempt with others now.

Deejay...The chocholate vine is that an Akebia?

Fruit..let us know how it fairs and how long it takes to root some of your experiments, are you enclosing in a plastic bag?

Pix: Lilium lancer grown from seed, smells yummy!!!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9053662

JUDY : Welcome to the Garden ADDIC Club I got into Gardening just as a hobby & Now it has become
work & i don't know for how long i can do this . my old bones are raising big issuses with me already this spring.
they say rain today & Tomorrow i hope so then i can rest haha what is that .

i can hardly lift my coffee cup & I Trully didnot do allot yesterday . well i hope to everyone has a safe weekend
will try to get back on here later today to put the SIGN Up thread for APRIL TRADES .

susie

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9054052

AFTERNOON WELL HERE IT IS OUR NEW
SIGN UP FOR APRIL SWAP IF YOU CAN JOIN US WE WILL STILL CHAT HERE . TILL AFTER I CLOSE THE SIGN UP ON APRIL 7 TH

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1248330/

THIS IS WHAT JIM & I WORKED ON YESTERDAY

Thumbnail by deejay9

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9054387

Nice looking bed, Susie. I see you're using your new wood chips. Your inch worm rock is such a cutie.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9054447

TY Susan I Hope to get the Porch painted this year . but with all the other work to be done that may be the last to get done :))) yes love the wood ships Now can hardly wait till i have BLOOMS :)) weather calling for a freeze this next tuesday Knew this weather was to good to be true :)))
we have a light rain today tonight & Tomorrow I put my plants out today for their drink & wash off the winter dust :)

well its about time to go put daddy to bed & I will be back in the morning GN ALL
susie
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9054488

How about a few blooms going here while you wait for yours? Pics were taken today. Verbena 'Homestead' I W/S'd from seeds you put in the Robin for me two years ago has been blooming well over a week. A volunteer Columbine, far from the shady garden, popped up among daylilies and is starting to bloom. A new plant to me from Bluestone last year is blooming as well, Euphorbia 'Tazmanian Tiger'.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9054496

These are some of the Daffodils that looked pretty before our unusally warm temps finally did them in.
Tulips are just starting to bloom. The one pictured came for you in a mix of bulbs.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9054746

Hey Deejay...I'm not an addict, speak for yourself!!!!! LOL. I'm sure I was addicted to flowers before you, I'm just guessing tho. One of my first full time jobs was workng at Gurney's Seed and Nursery. That was in the early 70's when they were still located in South Dakota and was a family owned buisness. But I have to admit I didn't start gardening till 1984 and have been heavy into it since. Not addicted, just a conoseiur, hope I spelled that right. lol.

Fruit... such lovely blooms, love that homestead purple, and tulips and daffs, wow...that tulip smells sooo good. Ok, it's just my imagination, shucks. I do have some coming up, gotta get that deer fence back up, nowwww! I sure would love to see them bloom.

Happ...looked at peonies today (my daughter's), they aren't up yet, can barely see any of the eyes yet. And gosh , my new zone is 6, not 5b any more. Altitude, not sure if that has anything to do with it or the fact that we had 24" of snow in Feb. and just finally melted off in the last two weeks.

pix: old cabinets
pix: new ones going in
pix: new fridge
pix: new countertops ready to go in
pix: old cabinets, yeah...they are all gone now. Don't ya just love that yucky wallpaper, lol.

This message was edited Mar 23, 2012 9:37 PM

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9054890

Kathy going to be a great looking kitchen when your done & Looks as you are much closer to being done :)
Looking good girl :)

susan Nice blooms once the sun comes out maybe i can shows you more blooms if the frost don;t hit before the sun .
APRIL SIGN UP ROOM

SPREAD THE WORD FOR THE SIGN UP THREAD THE MORE THE MERRIER :)
HAVE A GREAT DAY ALL .
SUSIE

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2012
5:40 AM

Post #9054905

Kathy, the Kitchen remodel looks great!!

Fruity.. The verbena looks great too!! Goober is here and is missing you. If you get a chance give her a call!!
scbuttercup
(Judy) Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9055298

Totally exhausted. Just took a jacuzzi soak and starting to feel human, got all the dirt from my fingernails and hair! Heaving 5 50 pound bags of black cow did me in, plus all the walking uphill and down. Been meaning to do that for five years: a shade garden on the northwest side of house near the ac units. One thing keeps bugging me: is the woodland poppy getting too much sun?...something to keep me awake tonight. I can always move it...

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9055554

Judy I Have poppies that do were every where a seed pod lands :) their in the woods & in The open full sun & all do about the same :))) so don't loose sleep over them they are tough :)
scbuttercup
(Judy) Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 24, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9055629

These are a special kind of native poppy, got it from a native plant sale. Needs shade. Last year it had too much sun and shriveled too soon but thank goodness it came back and gave me a second chance. If it is successful and produces pods I will have some to share eventually.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9055647

put me on the list for seeds :)))
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9056787

Darn, Elfie, I wish you had called me. We had tornado Warnings yesterday and had to curb my computer time. Tell Miss Goober I miss her, and Gryphon too!

There must be something magical about growing poppies. Of all the seeds I've sowed (in my full sun garden), I've never had the first plant.

Checked the Peonies yesterday. I have a grand total of four planted around around a birdhouse post and three are peeking out. One is maybe 6" tall and has several shoots. They're all young only going on 3-years old. Friday while I was in town, hubby mowed and reduced one to only 2" stems before he saw it.

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9056876

Hi girls. The only thing I have blooming here are my tulips. My peonies are about a foot tall. Still need to move the ones from under the tree, but the 5" of rain we had this week has given everything a shot in the arm! It has also made weeding much easier. I have finished enlarging and redong one of my beds. DH brought up some dry horse manure out of the barn and spread on it for me. I haven't gotten it all evened out yet, but will take a pic and post tomorrow.

Thumbnail by Crit

NF2932

NF2932
Winnetka, CA

March 25, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9056910

Love your tulips Crit!

Nancy
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9056965

Aren't they pretty, Nancy?

Don't remind me of weeds, Patti, since I have a bunch more waiting for me tomorow in the old Canna bed that I just cleaned up two weeks ago, but was out of Preen then. Now I'm armed...lol I can't seem to keep up with the Winter weeds, but at least they should be easy to rip out after almost a week of rain...and it's still falling.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9056969

Thanks NF
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9056972

How do you use the preen around your beds? Isn't it a weed killer? Doesn't it hurt your plants???
czimmerman00
Elk Horn, KY

March 25, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9056977

Preen keeps seeds from germinating i believe?
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9056987

So you could not put it on a bed where you are planting seed, but already started plants are OK???
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9057003

Preen isn't a weed killer per se (like Glyphosate which is the main ingredient in Round-Up and other commercially available products) but is instead a granular weed deterent that comes in jugs and is sprinkled in beds, not around them. It helps prevent new weed seeds from germinating. I sprinkle it liberally in my perennial beds and have never had a problem with it harming any of my plants. I've only heard one person say it harmed her plants and don't know which ones they were. If you're interested, it should be readily available in your big box garden centers and you could read the label to see which plants aren't recommended for it use.
http://www.preen.com/

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9057012

On the subject of preen...I was going to try a few years back but decided against it, too many of my plants were on the list, and think there would have been a problem with reseeding of perenns. that I did want to reseed. Any comments since I've never tried it?

czimmerman00
Elk Horn, KY

March 25, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #9057013

I've used it in my flowerbeds & it did a pretty good job of keeping weeds away. Didnt harm any of my plants. My larkspur reseeded that fall after i used it, so guess it expires? I used it in spring..
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9057210

What beautiful pics of flowers, such beautiful gardens, isn't it nice to see spring or what I think is sprummer (We have been in the 80's alot this March).

The kitchen is really changing, I remember how good that felt when it was done, worth all the trials and tribulations...

We had a commercial iris grower come to our gardening meeting and he did not recommend using preen. He thought that it built up in the iris over time, and made them less robust. I don't use it but only because I have flowers I want to reseed, which will cause them to stop germinating and I am afraid the birds will eat it. If I need weed killer I will put a little on a paint brush and dab it selectively on the weeds. I have read where people use like a plastic cup, take the bottom out, put the cup over the weed, then spray in the cup and that way get the weed without getting the other flowers.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9057228

BURRRR woke to 31* this morning after 50 &80's for the last 2 weeks wow what a change . weeds weeds weeds never ending here but going to mulch the heck out of the gardens this year .
just finished my grits & ready to get out side soon .

you all have a great day . will be back later today whenn this old body tells me to quit i have to work while Margaret is here to tend to daddy .
sure is a huge help .
susie
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9058842

Same here Susie. It always seems to freeze when I'm at work so I have to have my sons cover my newbies, so of course, I worry all night about if they are covered sufficiently. LoL UGH!

Beautiful Euphorbia Susie! I have been eyeballing that one for a long time. Is it as vibrant in person as it appears to be in pictures?

Susan, you always have the prettiest bulbs. What's your secret? I have, maybe, 2 Hyacinths and Allium that come back every year. All my other tulips have disappeared. LoL

Crit, love your blooms, too. Very pretty!

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9058868

we didn't get a freeze so all is still very pretty :) my euphorbias are so pretty & I will be sure to save you some :)
I also have a few bulbs saved for you . off to my little place soon to play in the dirt jim bought me 6 huge bags of mira -gro potting soil this last saturday :) what a guy . guess he wants me to work :) you all have a great day off to play :)
susie
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9058915

Susie, so you didn't get a frost? We are still down to 32 degrees. I was soooo excited about all the sprouts I had in my jugs and even the jugs that didn't get planted last year. Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Susie, you are always so generous with your plants and seeds but I don't want you messig with your new plant. I started lots of the Snow on the Mountain and I have the Bonfire (not sure how to propagate).
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9059153

Oh don't want to hear about freezing temps...holy moley, eveything is up, roses are leafed out, fingers crossed hope the temps just stays up here. Long time until the later part of April which they say April 15 but we have had some freezes past that date.

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9059295

As you Know Anita I Have over 100 lily Asiatic BULBS So Sharing some will not be a Problem
this is just a Hand full of them popping up .
there is another hand full ++++++ In the second Picture that you cannot see :) & so please You all will get a few :)
well No Freeze hit here but tonight is another one coming .

for now off to fix SHRIMP SCAMPIE For Super will be back later .
susie

Thumbnail by deejay9   Thumbnail by deejay9

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9059354

I went out to prune my rose bushes yesterday afternoon. They have buds!!! I couldn't beleive it. Had to cut some of them off, which broke my heart, but glad I went out when I did. I need to go to the other house and prune the roses there. The lady that rents it has not done anything to them since they moved in March 2010, sooooooooo, hope I can propogate a bunch of them. Some I paid over $20 apiece for. So sad she isn't enjoying them the way she should. I doubt they are blooming the way they should.

Had my back injections this morning so have to lay low today. But I can still set out by the pool and enjoy the birds and weather!
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9059393

Susie, you are the bestest to share your babies with us.

Crit, I am glad you are feeling better. I think sitting out by the pool is an excellent idea! What the trick with the roses? Do you have rose bushes or old fashioned roses? My neighbor has knockout roses just as I do. His dad does not do anything to his bushes and they are stunning every year. I fuss over mine and they are nothing special. This year I am trying the alfalfa tea for the first time. I am getting green leaves but no buds yet. This is my first year with the sunny (I think) and I also have double red (my favorite) and pink. The pink and red I cut back in late winter. And I usually, snip off the spent blooms. I think dead heading makes them put out more blooms. Has anyone else noticed?

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9059423

Hi Anita...got some info. on spring bulbs for you. If you are looking for tulips the last more than 1 year, try some of these, many are considered perennial. Any species tulip:Tardra, Humilis, Bakeri. On to the next bunch which are probably more common, Fostoriana, Greigii, Kaufmaniana, Triumpph, Darwins. The first bunch are species and will multiply easily, they are usually early and very short. The second group is the taller varieties and bloom later in the season. The Kaufmanianas are the tallest at 18-24", red, yellow and a broken red and yellow. The darwins and triumphs are rather common and about 12-16". The main thing with having tulip bulbs come back are to plant deeper than suggested, if it says 6", go a few more inches down. One year I planted several (5) thousand, bulbs (tulips, daffs, grape hyacinths, hyacinths, galtonias, galanthus, skillas, Puschinia, Leucojum, crocus and chiondoxa, mostly the larger varieties). All the other bulbs I planted at stated depths. Mix in some bulb food at the bottom of the hole, then your bulbs. The daffodils are much better at perennializing than most of the tulips. The best daffs. are King Alfred or Carltons, they also increase in size and bulbs every year, make sure to snip the bud off after bloom but leave the foliage til brown. On tulips, same, snip buds off but leave the foliage. The leaves are restoring the bulb and feeding it to create next years bloom. Most people pull the foliage toooooo soon after bloom an it depletes the bulb strength. Just figure if your going to have spring bulbs you have to put up with wilting or withering foliage to extend your max. production (years) from the bulb. Most are from Turkey, high (mountains) and dry summers. Most of our gardens can't give them that conditions so thy don't live as long. Grape Hyacinths are a great multiplier, just make sure on these you leave the stems and let them go to seed, this will help them to increase yearly. I gave up growing regular Hyacinth bulbs as they only produced good for one year and then started to get split stems and not very showy as they weren't full. Crocus are usually another multiplier. Hope that helps. If ya need more info I could look in my library, I have hundreds of books on gardening. Also might wanna get a catalog from one of the regular bulb companies (one that specialize in bulbs), not just sellers of. A great one is McClure & Zimmerman, (mzbulbs.com), they have two catalogs, one spring and the other is fall. You looking for bulbs or unusuals they probably have it. Kathy

Yes, cutting off dead blooms from most plants creates two more stems from which to get blooms, if it has a tendency to bloom more than once, this is true of all plants not just roses.

This message was edited Mar 27, 2012 1:37 PM

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

March 27, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9059700

Anita, I prune my roses in early spring (usually before budding but you know how this year has been!) making sure to take out stems on the inside so they get good air circulation. I use Bayer Triple evey 6-8 weeks to fertilize and make disease resistant. OMG, just had a mosquito land on me! UGH! ALREADY!!!!!!! I'm out by the pool but going inside. BRB OK, when I prune in the spring I cut them back by 1/3. Some say 2/3 but I can't bring myself to do that. Cut out any dead canes. When you prune a stem, go to the first set of 5 leaves and cut there. Make your cuts so that any new sprouts will go to the outside of the bush and not the inside. That's about it for what I do. I only have 6 roses here. 3 were here when we moved. I have/had 32 at the other house. That was about all the gardening I did there except for the small bed in front of the house, and it had perennials. I hope none of them have died!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9060063

Wow 32 roses? I would of been in 7th heaven, dig them up and bring them home with you. Crit hope you are feeling better. Sitting by the pool, how nice that would be.

Had my camera out the other day and now I can't find it...I searched outside and sure hope I haven't left it there...it was a Birthday present...ugh...wish I had all the time back I spend looking for what I just had in my hand...

Alot of people don't know that not all tulips come back, I found that out several years ago and I have tulips that have been coming back for 10 years or more now. It has been so warm here this year the tulips in full sun are not too happy.

Here is my big crinum bulb, that is a 24oz pepsi next to it, so I am guessing the bulb is at least a foot long and I can not wrap my hand around it at all, maybe 1/3 around the bulb. May take tomorrow off if the weather is nice and get alot of stuff in the ground and mow...ugh!

Thumbnail by happgarden

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9060088

happ are they hardy for our zone 5-6 /?? i want to check into them well bad susie last fall it turned very cold & I Had about 20+ irises i had dug up to move & Didn't get them in the ground they sat in pots no dirt just straw over them over the winter well i spent yesterday planting them into pots to hopefully try to save them wow they look nice this morning .
so they are tough also i found a few daylily clumps that didn't get put back in the ground & They were still growing good out of the dirt so i hope to get them into the ground today .

well it is 56* & Jim & I Are planning the day so you all have a great day back later.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9060096

deejay I am thinking I would not take a chance, the guy I bought it from said yes to zone 5, but it would have to be like this winter abnormally mild, but some of the sites say yes with mulch, I am just going to grow it in a huge pot. I have some other small ones growing in pots, just didn't know what they were for sure until now...rofl.
You got to admit those iris and daylilies are tough plants aren't they...glad they survived for you.

My plants (bunches of daylilies and hostas) I have in pots are growing like crazy! They are going to be great for the plant sale the later part of may!

scbuttercup
(Judy) Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9060557

Looking for more nooks and crannies in my yard to cram in more plants and just figured that lobelia might work out great next to the AC water drip. A great way to pretty up dreary spot. Hmm, where else can I tuck some plants...
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9060657

Kathy, I must have planted tulips that were not perrenials for my area. Each year, fewer and fewer tulips came up until there were none. LoL I think I will try planting them again but this time I will make sure I purchase hardy tulips. I'm eyeballing Zimmermans. they have a wonderful selection of tulips.

Thanks for the info Crit. I love roses. The traditiional are okay but I prefer plants that are less maintenance and have longer bloom periods.

I was checking out my clematis and I have buds...wooohooo!

This message was edited Mar 28, 2012 3:07 PM
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9060660

Great tips on the bulbs, Kathy.

WOWSER happ, what a bomb of a bulb. You'll have to show us blooms later one.

Susie, I did the same exact thing with a few D/Ls and Irises last year. Totally forgot about them tucked under a bench in a box on our back porch and did manage to tuck them away in nooks and crannies.
Always room for more plants, Judy, huh?

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9063465

Sure Glad I'm not the only forgetful person or maybe it was winter came faster then i could work last fall :)
off to make me a Hot totty will be back to play for awhile later

for anyone who had not heard of this yet
time for the FROGGIE SWAP BY LK/TATTERS

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1249596/#new
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9063790

You know how it goes this time of year when you go strolling through your gardens, intending only to see what else has popped up, and you end up weeding? That's how I spent the afternoon on such a nice balmy day wearing shorts and a T-shirt.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #9069868

Hello everyone!

Looking for any type of plant that will survive this Texas heat! I have some shade, so a few shade plants will be nice. I like anything that blooms, and or climbs! Lilies and iris don't do very well here. Don't know why! I have a few, that grow green parts, but hardly ever any blooms?
diamond9192002
(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9070223

Has Susie posted our buddies yet?

deejay9

deejay9
(susie) Hastings, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2012
4:26 AM

Post #9070450

PARTNERS HAS BEEN POSTED OVER HERE .
HAPPY GARDENING

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2012
4:26 AM

Post #9070451

Anita, it's on the April sign up thread.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America