Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Canadian Gardening: What is happening in your neck of the woods???

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 194, Views: 997
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 14, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9042347

Hello there,

How on earth did you all go missing..wondered why it was so quiet...

we came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1242119/

Moved us into a spring like room, got the bug, going to Garden Gallery at lunch-am in search birdhouses..yesterday went over to the new garden/decorating store across the street, that isn't good news, having one so close and having rusted iron garden art..yikes, you know me, like being in heaven, came home with a metal lattice with flowers on it 4' wide by 6' high..perfect for my stained glass blue heron that is asking to come out from under the bed..lol

Temps are between 14-18c this week..imagine, early summer weather.. Storms, still some to come for sure but it's nice to take advantage of what we have..kids I'm sure are enjoying their March break..bikes galore out on the streets.

So quiet here at the office, almost tempted to work from home tomorrow and Friday..would give me the opportunity of finishing Julie's stained glass window panel and maybe meet up with Jeff over the weekend to deliver it...

ok I've updated me in starting this thread, now need to move the old/new links to their rightful place and read what you've all been up to..

bet it's outside enjoying the weather!

This message was edited Mar 14, 2012 10:30 AM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 14, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9042708

Thanks for the 'shuffle on over' Betty ^_^

Honestly starting to think we might scrap spring and head right straight to SUMMER !!!
The snow is melting so quickly with these high temps, and the flower beds are peeking through ..
Saw our first 2 Robins today .. always a smile maker ..

Went for physio .. GROAN .. hip is feeling better but OMG do the exercises cause some serious discomfort !!
Back tomorrow and then the Grandkids are over for supper ..

Thinking about 'rattling some pots and pans' .. have a NEW recipe .. got it from one of the other Hospice volunteers .. if it turns out, I'll post it ..

Toodles

~M~
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 14, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9042764

hi ladies
M. have you tried accupuncture ? works great for me i've also had 'cupping' done on my
back... was at my wits end, and didn't want any more pills.
it seems everyone is getting great weather, we're going to hit 20 on the week-end.

last time i clipped the mutts i threw their hair into the yard...birds are loving it !
opened the window and can hear the crows setting up shop in the neighbours pine trees.
can't wait to smell the lilacs !
lilac 'miss canada' developed by isabella preston- ottawa research center

Thumbnail by lindypuddin

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 14, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9042824

I LOVE LILACS !!! Have 4 "trees/bushes" and am thinking a couple of them are nearing the end of their perfumed road :-(
My next one is going to be a DEEP purple one ...
Am also SO hoping to get some lavender growing this year. Had some take and start to grow a few years back and unfortunately it indavertently got MOWED down .. has anyone tried to grow Lavender .. if I had my way I'd have an acre of it ^_^

The recipe was a KEEPER ~~~~
I'll put it up in a bit ..

Lindy .. I have tried acupuncture once for my hand .. didn't really work .. thought I must have looked quite comical with those needles all up my arm ..

Mud puddles abound here .. and the dogs and cat are less than impressed (kinda like me) ..

Busy days ahead .. but .. FUN busy !!!

TTFN

~M~
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 14, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9043138

fellow lilac-lover...the deep purple and the double white mme. lemoine[?] have the BEST
scent.
there was a article on the home page about rejuvinating lilacs...i always thought they go forever like peonies.
bought a bi-colored lilac 'sensation', didn't have room for it so i gave it to my niece..
great color and old fashioned scent...i want it back lol.
L

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 15, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9043408

Morning all, storm passed through quickly this morning, thunder/lightning and hail..Sailor sure was uncomfortable with the sounds..

Lilacs, planted about 6 small shrubs along the fencing, won't have lilacs for several years but got to start somewhere! My secret garden has ancient lilac bushes, soon going to lose them, not a whole lot of flowers , planting a few shrubs in front of old trees in hopes I don't lose the secret garden. I have 2 dark purple, just starting to get lilacs, was able to purchase 3 boomerang continuous bloomers, not as large as other lilac trees but worth trying it for several blooms..I'll go in search of those listed above...last year I also bought a few more mock orange , remember as a child having them in grandma's yard, oh what a scent.
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 15, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9043477

hi B was your grandma a gardener too ? did you have anyone in your family that
loved flowers as much as you? i try to show the kids as much as i can...my son
will plant with me, but daughter would rather help with the canning. she thinks it's
'green' so i guess that makes it a good thing.
let us know how your boomerangs do...haven't seen any yet.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 15, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9043594

Lindy, only remember some shrubs, mega glads and roses.. my mom enjoys gardening but not to the extent that I do..lol

Greg, my eldest came over for chicken & slidders last night, mom cooked his favorite..told him for the first time this year I felt overwhelmed with amount of work ahead of me in the gardens, did say I'd do 1/2 hr. every night and several hours on the weekend...with straight face he told me he had the answer, he'd have his friend come with a bobcat, level the gardens, fill the 2 ponds, let me keep side gardens and front gardens and no worry, he'd reseed and knows I enjoy cutting gas, so it would be soooo easy for me to cut and have time to sit

hmmm
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 15, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9043674

B. not what you had in mind !!
bribe him with home-cooking...my son comes home almost every week-end for dinner !
his girl is lovely but can't cook at all. he told me the other day how he always loved the things from the garden...didn't think he really noticed lol.
but 'horror'!!! a bobcat in the yard ??? smack that boy !!!
L
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 15, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9043694

Betty I bet he was just playing you! Is there a grand kid who could earn some money or brownie points? I know my neice goes to my Moms and helps a bit. We also have Mom and Dad do a list of "wants" for the garden instead of buying them "stuff" we give them our time and do a big Family get together for a weekend to do the big stuff. We have a blast and it's a very good excuse to get together. Maybe you could suggest it if asked?
Our weather is way too warm here and I really hope there isn't a big freeze waiting out there somewhere.
Lindy - Welcome!

Have some stuff started and will be getting more seeds going when I come back from being an assistant for my Daughters Grade 9 class trip to Bamfield next week. I didn't want to leave too many little things for my hubby to watch while I was gone.
Alberta Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 15, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9043706

Ann, every year I add 'to do's' and all the family come and spend Mothers'Day..they get all done for me but I've already got a few projects in mind that I would rather they do than raking.

Cathy a friend who cleans houses also does misc. chores for people. Will ask if she would do raking after I cut down last years crop..sure wish the deer would have eaten more lol (might regret those words) and also do the windows which I'm terrible at doing..usually turn out worse than when I started. lol

Half of it is just looking out and seeing old dead growth..

What is in Bamfield that is of interest? Have been purchasing packages of seed but unlike you I'll be scattering on the ground this spring as I don't do well with growing inside. Seeds aren't cheap anymore are they.. think yesterday seeds for vines was $3.49..you open it up and what do you see, about 10 little seeds.
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 15, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9043943

B. you're sure right about the seeds.. looked in a package and checked the bottom, i thought for sure there was a hole.lol
i bought some seeds at the end of season last year, saved some $ that way..
try to not worry about the chores..everything always seems to get done
ann, my sis. moved up to edmonton this last summer..packed up, rented a u-haul and
away she went ! i heard from her at christmas..says she loves it there.
hope plants don't start coming up with these high temps, it's still so early.
cheers to all L

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 15, 2012
2:08 PM

Post #9043950

Betty I think it's smart to leave the easy to find people for stuff and certainly have your family do the special things. I must admit I like going down to my Folks in Calgary and drive up their driveway to see the retaining wall or the new stairs or the new walk way we did for them.

Bamfield is a research station over by Tofino/west coast trail Vancouver Island, that is one of the most Bio diverse Eco systems in the world. Many scientests who are doing marine bio studies are here doing research. Its a way for our girls to see if they are interested in anything to do with this type of science/job. Last year for grade 8 we were in Kananaskis where we did a 3 day visit with field studies for geology and again Bio diversity as that was a coming together spot for all kinds of insects and animals. I think I have way more fun than the girls but some of them really take to this kind of learning and it sparks them into a direction for grades and above.

Seeds are always fun for me as I like to see what kinds of plants I can grow that are not available at the garden centers. Also I like to see how well I can look after them and how big they can grow. Some I fail miserably but some are super de dooper.
Alberta Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 15, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9044057

Please give me advice then on how to..my problem is either I start them too early and they become too leggy, or I put them out too early and the die...

That sounds like quite an educational outing, you will enjoy it as well..I would have thought it would be geared more to those in grade 12.. Kids sure are smart compared to my day (or me). Lol

Got another 1/2 hr done in the garden..let's see, in a month I'd likely get 15 hours done and it wouldn't be a hardship and would get me to mid April..doable I guess.

Feels like a hot bath, raking takes a lot of effort, I then normally would enjoy the couch and a movie but tonight I'll get a bit more of Julie's SG piece done..want it finished and out of here.

"m" glad you are feeling better...

Carol, how are you doing? Hope you are seeing an improvement now that we have sunshine and warmer days?

Off for hot bath..I smell like smoke..burnt a bit but not all...smells nice though

Waving to all
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 15, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9044294

I dont know when I last posted but things have not gone well.My 'cold' continued to bug me with no improvement and last Friday (9) at urging of a nurse friend I went in to see my doctor. Within in an hour or so I was in an ambulance on my way to the hospital!Apparently I had two infections UTI and Bronchitis plus as I had had my version of diarhea for some days I was very dehydrated and suffering from ' general malaise"! Anyway was quickly on IV fluids, had a chestCT and X-ray-all normal - they were very worried that I might throw a blood clot and had a couple of very serious discussions about what they should do if I was found without a pulse! After a few hours in emergency I was moved to a short stay unit and then to a regular unit which happened to be the same as the one I was on 18 months ago when I had my colon surgery I was also on IV antibiotics and always in a private room for protective isolation so nobody could pass any infection to me. Also had a blood transfusion on Sunday. After that made rapid progress and came home Tuesday morning.

I am much improved - should have started the 5th round of chemo this week but that is all cancelled for a week or two to allow me to really recover and then go back to see what the oncologist wants to do.

There is a dog story too but I will tell you about that another day.
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 15, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9044404

you sure had a tough time...
take care
L

Thumbnail by lindypuddin

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 16, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9045005

Yikes Carol that is awful, youve got D mail.
Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 16, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9045123

Busy peoples ^_^

Betty .. I take it you didn't get the storm Lorna'f folks talked about last evening .. said it was quite a big thunder boomer .. missed them though.

Carol .. goodness .. you've been there and back again over the past 2 weeks. I most certainly hope things start getting much better ..

Was out for lunch with some cousins, we try to keep in touch 4 or 5 times a year .. hard to do at times.

Absolutely astounding temps here, and glorious sun which is melting away the, not so glorious, snow !!!

TGIF

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 16, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9045161

Omg Carol, glad you are starting to gain strength, must have been frightening for you. Lucky for you the emerge moved quickly. Can't believe you were so ill!! Is there someone coming to check up and help with meals? Sendings hugs and prayers.

"M"' almost summer day today..worked from home so decided it would be best to stay close to telephone..got windows done from inside, washed down front and back entry doors, cleaned a rug and few other chores...was nice getting spring smell back not the house.

Even drove not town a bit ago, met up with Greg, took a quick ride into car car dealership..phew glad Larry wasn't there or I'd likely come home a new car owner..did leave a message to call me though.

Was going to go downstairs and finish SG piece but think a hot bath, pj's and quiet night on the chesterfield sounds more to my liking...besides,no plans for the weekend so there is always tomorrow..
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 16, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9045467

http://www.buzzfeed.com/corporatewhore/guinness-takes-no-chances-in-getting-blokes-to-the-5mba

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 17, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9045805

Happy St Patrick's day everyone

Loved the link Carol...oh my, maybe I should be spending more time training my order collie Sailorgirl. Lol

Fog is lifting, birds are chirping..way a day ahead of us..glorious sunshine..

Little boy up the street knocked at the door last night, seeking employment either inside/outside work..must be about 10-11 so he will be arriving shortly. Lol.

Best I get motivated and dressed

Enjoy ou day
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 17, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9045907

morning all, just poured a cup of coffee.. last of the snow melted overnite.
going to reach 22 today. think i'll throw open the windows and let some air in.
flower beds are drying up quickly..will soon be able to clean up the dead foliage.
peppers are up on the top of the cupboards...going to start some perennials.
gaillardia, jacob's ladder, coneflower powwow,and columbine songbirds. the columbine
have been in the fridge for a couple of days..they're ready to plant.
have been looking for seeds for dianthus 'knappi' it's a beautiful plant with yellow flowers.
i started some a few years ago but gave them away due to lack of space.
there was a seed place online had them and more columbines i've ever seen, i'll have to
check them out better [before i give my card # ]. i left a post on the tomato forum last week, lots of folks from down south..going to post pics how i start tomatos. i've gotten
bored with the old stand-bys and have been growing late season heirlooms.. anyhoo,
hope you'all are having great weather.. L
p.s. betty love your always 'half-full' attitude

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9045961

I must've lost you when you started the new thread. And then we got a new computer and there's all that setting them up and I got the mother of all colds a couple of weeks ago, just after Vancouver DD and family were here for DH's 70th. I've sort've been MIA.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 17, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9045999

Omg you just know you are losing ground when you work along side an 11 year old..his name is Noah (same as my grandson) has asperghers syndrome like my Kyle..never stops talking. And I know he is speaking English but in today's slang. Lol

We did the wage negotiation, he asked for $5.00 and I offered $7.00

We worked 2 1/2 hours non stop..quite a worker..said he was working towards a bike and needed $15.00 which was balance he needed..mom will math his..said he made $40. Las 2 days going door to door collection beer and wine bottles then bringing them in for recycling. Ambitious little ones. End result is he got $20 and I got exhausted.. 10 more gardens to rake then I can start weeding.. I sp need a nap but want to go downstairs nd finish the stained glass piece Jeff asked for then a nap is in order..phewwww

Missed you Ann, thought perhaps you were on another trip..happy birthday to your DH.. It's just not purchasing of computer and feeling you are all upgraded but transferring of all data..I'm useless when it comes to that.

Lindy, can you explain the refrigerator part..I'll be on the lookout for some seeds you listed.

Head pounding a bit, better close my eyes for a bit then go back to my schedule.
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 17, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9046101

hey b. nice to hear you're getting help. i'm finding the osteo in my spine really making it
hard to bend.
anyway about the fridge..when i had surgery in 06 and went off work i started reading all
the plant books i could get my hands on.
i found a book called 'from seed to bloom' cause i was 'gettin in o'er my heed' and needed some advice. turns out some perennials germinate better from a damp chill, the two i follow this with are columbine and delphinium. just put the seeds in a dampened paper towel, in a baggie, mark them and let them stay in the fridge for two weeks. the seeds have a very hard shell, so maybe this helps the gemination. i know some friends who grew native plants would also rub some seeds between sand-paper, i could see this
helping with morning glorys. i love having baby columbines to pop into bare spots, fills
things up and keeps the weeding down. L

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 17, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9046236

Old bones, ain't it grand...my thought are that we didn't look after our bodies..now I think, little steps by little steps you get to the same place..should have learned that earlier. Lol

I will pick up a few packages of columbine next time I pass the nursery and give it a try..is it early to start now. Several years ago I did put seed in wet paper towel, put in zip lock bag and set where they had sunshine..talk about spurting..became too leggy though
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 17, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9046509

I often seed columbine and I just scatter the seed in the garden when the ground warms up - does fine.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 17, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9046858

oh oh... I lost you... I should really check "other threads" more often cuz that's where I find all my "losted threads" lol

Carol - I've never grown columbine here, but did in Winnipeg for the first time 2 years before I moved here. Love it.
I always think of it as an ethereal fairy flower - kinda like they'd use it for little hats :-)

Lindy - I have a Jacob's Ladder in my front flower garden!

V-Ann - sorry to hear about that terrible cold! Guess we're on the same page - losing new threads... siiiiigh - ya think we're getting old?!?!?! Glad to hear you have a new computer!

Carol - LOL I just saw the "St. Patrick's Day Roundup" LOL I'd never seen it before, but boy did I get a belly-laugh on that!! LOL

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9047007

Good morning. Played a concert last night and it went pretty well

Data on the new computer - well, we've gone from Windows XP to 7 and we set out what we thought was a logical place for data, but the applications on the new computer don't want to find it; so I've been working mostly off a flash drive. Need to get "Windows 7 for Dummies", I think.

I DO still have the old computer which, other than the fans running nonstop because they were caked with dust, is just fine. Once I got the new one up and running I took the old one in to Best Buy to get it cleaned up. They did that. Then they told be that I had "traces" of over 70 viruses and for $180+ tax they would clean it all up. I said "no thank you" - I'm running a good virus program and while those "traces" might slow the computer down, they aren't gonna cause a major problems and it's now a secondary computer. But with the change away from Primus (to Teksavvy), I now have Internet on BOTH computers. Yay! no more fighting about the computer. We also got separate email addresses for the first time! gmail, but I'm using Thunderbird on the desktop.

Need some Ts and Ps for a friend and member of my handbell choir. She suffered a stress fracture of a vertebra recently - coughing. After a week of pain, they finally did a CT scan and found the fracture and hospitalized her. Now she's been diagnosed with multiple myeloma and starts chemo today.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 18, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9047099

Peering through the fog here, saying GOOD MORNING ..

ViAnn, most assuredly my T and Ps are with your friend. Multiple Myeloma is a painful row to hoe ...
Re the new computer, our new one, purchased at Xmas, also runs Windows 7. A learning curve for sure .. I STIIL like Windows XP, and that's in the 'dark ages' now it seems. I found XP easy to use ..
My laptop has Windows Vista, kind of a flakey program, and, like you .. I run a good virus program and trust it to catch the 'bad guys'
As for the 'cold' ... lots have had it .. a colleauge has me hooked on Echinacea .. seems to have done the trick for me as I have been untouched by the 'cold bug'. (fingers crossed here)

Betty .. I feel as though experienced/retired nurses, with all our JOINT problems, should speak to the student nurses and tell them how NOT to abuse their bodies. Looking back over my career I can pinpoint LOTS of bad habits that have likely lead to my 'owies' right now.
Nice that Noah helped you .. :-)

OMG Carol .. got a great laugh from the 'Round Up' !!! Thanks for sharing ..

Lindy .. columbine grows wild here .. and .. does NOT take to 'relocation' I have tried with both it and Lupines.
Sure is pretty mixed in with the wild Maltese cross.
The refridgerator deal is a good idea, have heard of it before .. just make sure the paper towel doesn't dry out somehow.

Looks like more yardwork today .. love wood heat, but I just cna't grasp how that birch bark gets to be EVERYWHERE !!!

Take good care all

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 18, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9047289

afternoon everyone, amazing how I kept so busy since 6:30 and yet have nothing accomplished! Well perhaps a few thing!

Can't believe the green growth..just spend an hour pruning dead limbs from trees..wish I had the nerve to attack the lilac trees but will wait yet another year in hopes when I plant new trees they will grow quickly enough that older trees can be cut down comp,Evelyn!

Making progress even though I'm working in little blocks of time. Wouldn't you love to get crazy but am sure another one or two blizzards are yet to come.

Aren't computers grand..think we should all have a back up..paranoid I am, iPad for playing, laptop for travel and main. It downstairs..so easy to get virus's..Jeff told me the best thing you can have is iPad, just don't get them, why, he explained npbut I didn't retain

Off for lunch then maybe another hour or so in the gardens..Lordy if we all keep this up we'll have gardens cleaned and planted by Easter..
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 18, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9047300

morning everyone...blowing away all the records held for high temps..is this global warming ?? will spread the left-over seeds on the flower beds..so true 'always an easier way' . thanks for the tip, will try it.
starting some jacob's 'cause last year none came back, sometimes i think i have a plant gremlin in my yard. lost 10 large hostas one year...like they never existed.
slow getting moving today... but hubbys been energizer bunny, lol i hear him banging on the roof where some shingles came off.
will pull out the advil for later !
here's to a happy and safe week-end to all
L

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 18, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9047474

V-Ann - T&P for your friend. It must just seem like one thing after another for her...
Good for you on not getting sucked in by BB! If you really wanted to "clean it up" you could go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ I find them very good and it doesn't depend on a program on your hard drive!

~M~ - My laptop & desktop computers run Win XP, but Bob's computer runs Win7 - I had to learn his in order to help him - System Restore is a commonly needed program cuz he's always getting something that stops him using his game programs, so we Restore.

Lindy - the leftover seeds your referring to are Datura ones, right? It's the only one plant I know that this works best for. So jealous of your +22 temps!! Send some our way, and next time I'm in Winnipeg we should meet, right? My family (other than my DH) are all in Winnipeg so my visit isn't too far fetched! :-)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 18, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9047516

Ohhh did mean to offer prayers for your friend violaAnn. Will have to fo in search of the diesel, not familiar with it.

You are all so computer savey..I'm excited I know how to turn one one.

Susan are you not getting these temps?

Lindy hope your hubby got off the roof with ought mishap

Put in another hour in the garden, starting to make a dent, now it's on the couch doing nothing..even thinking of having a soak in tub with Epsom salt. Lol

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 18, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9047595

No Betty - although it's 6c now, and we have had up to 15c lately, here close to the mountains our temps really fluctuate and we could have a couple days of +20c even in January, it doesn't last. We may still have a blizzard the end of May (it did that in 2007 - Huge Dump Of Snow to where it broke branches and trees across the roadways)! We also don't get +30 for more than a couple of weeks in the summer. We're very temperate, but as soon as the sun goes down behind the mountains, the temp drops!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 18, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9047622

That would take a lot of getting used to Susan. You wouldn't get to enjoy your gardens for long and would be very limited to what you can plant.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 18, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9047625

yes, I had to revamp all my gardening to deal with a shorter summer and milder winter. Yes, we get 2 weeks of +30c in summer, and 2 weeks of -42c in winter, but generally it's very mild for both seasons
Most years we can't ripen tomatoes in the garden - would have to be a greenhouse, etc. OR if you grow cherry tomatoes - they will ripen of course. I like the "Sweet 100"'s for those - I can grab a handful for snacking and mealtime at any time
:-)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 18, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9047640

Well you just have to know ill not be moving to Calgary. My nephew relocated his family several years ago and the minute his 2 year contract was up, home he came..

I'm sure it's more than beatiful, just takes adjusting to!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 18, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9047653

Yes, it's beautiful in my "back yard" and yes, it takes some getting used to not having a long hot summer, but I prefer mountains to flat prairie...
Driving up a hill in Calgary and when you get to the top, to see the vista of lights of the city against a backdrop of mountains is breathtaking!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B   Thumbnail by Tallulah_B   Thumbnail by Tallulah_B   Thumbnail by Tallulah_B   Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 18, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9047707

Breathtaking to say the least Susan! We sure do all live in God's country
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 18, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9047709

wow really amazing pictures.. we were there back in 92' hubby was competing in 'truck
driving roadeos' he was on the manitoba team. we had a blast ! the best part was every- thing was arranged including a trip up to banff. had lunch at the chateau..
susan are you happy with the move ? it's tough here..cold winters and mosquito summers ! but right now...this is really unsettling. actually warm and humid today.
it's still been cold up towards churchill..thankfully for the bears.
oh and the seeds we're talking about are columbines.
B. hubby made it done the ladder ok. :]
made him a nice dinner,
have a safe, happy week all
L

Thumbnail by lindypuddin

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 18, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9047720

Truck rodeo?? Sounds interested .. How far are you from Calgary..

Hard to believe you are about mid point between Susan and I..must check on more specifics

Feels like rain here, must go pick up tools I've left dragging in the yard..wish restaurant next door was open Sunday's..going to starve. Lol

This message was edited Mar 18, 2012 6:17 PM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 18, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9047744

Ok, it's 22 1/2 hrs to you Lindy and about 37 hrs to Calgary..now that is a longgggg ride..one of these days. Lol

Been east but not west!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 18, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9047773

Betty - Lindy's just north of Winnipeg... is it that far from you?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 18, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9047811

Yep, post above yours says 22 1/2 hrs..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 18, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9047814

I didn't realize it would take that long to get to Lindy's from your place!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 19, 2012
3:38 AM

Post #9048225

Morning all, guess if we all enjoyed our weather this weekend we are in for even higher temps the next few days...would be a good time to take a sick day wouldn't it?

Yes, Susan makes you realize just how vast..could travel to Florida in almost same amount of time..

Birds are chirping, must go fill the feeders before heading out.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #9048256

Everyone should make the DRIVE west at least once if at all possible. You won't save any money over flying, but what an appreciation you'll gain of the vastness of this country. Amazing!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 19, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9048339

Travelled north into Wisconsin and Minnesota, that's about as far as I've been west on Canadian side..guess we crossed over at Sault Ste Marie
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 19, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9048406

morning from stony.. had a cousin come from austria...she thought we could go for a short drive to see the polar bears.lol i guess in europe drive for a day and you've been
through 3 countries !
another warm one today...25 with winds @ 60, humidity is still high @84.
have some peonies poking up...going to start tomatos.
this seems so wrong !!!!!
L

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 19, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9048429

WE ARE GOING TO PAY for sure..can see all the shrubs and trees with buds..will be wonderful to see all the pretties but be by July/August our gardens will be done. So hard to predict isn't it..it's nothing like we've ever experienced..some say it will be so hot/humid entire summer with no rain..won't be fun then.

Yes, have some friends who visit from USA with large expectations of what they can do in 2 or 3 days..see east coast harbours, Toronto, Vancouver etc.

We in school did learn so much about USA but I'm not sure that USA Schools teach must about Canada/Canadian history..I could be wrong though.
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 19, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9048454

B..it really seems that way doesn't it...
saw a butterfly yesterday.. hubby got a lot done yesterday, sure enough needed an advil.
has some spurs in his neck that get sore sometimes.
i need to get back to the doctor and see about a scan.. found out in 02 i have a 'chiari malformation' had surgery in 06 but still get alot of pain. had a headache yesterday and threw-up, ears are ringing...not a good sign. the singer roseanne cash had the surgery..
i should e-mail and see how it worked out for her.
well, need to get up and move around, i feel for those with desk- jobs !!
ttfn L

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 19, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9048477

nothing like growing old 'gracefully' who in the world came up with that phrase..so many aches/pains..

They've come up with such hi tech proceedures you really should check out what is possible. You wouldn't want to live with such pain only to find out it could have been remedied..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 19, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9048516

Yes Lindy - research is good to find out what can be done for you.

Betty - age old story of people who cross the border into Canada, in July/August, expecting to go skiing and want to know where the snow covered mountains are in Winnipeg... lol Mother Nature doesn't pay attention to our borders, so it doesn't snow in the summer just because you cross the man-made border LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 19, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9048543

had similar Susan, couple travelling north with skiis asking where the nearest ski hills are. Guess we have misconceptions as well.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 19, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9048712

s'funny, eh? Had a neighbour fresh over from Scotland (when we lived in Edmonton) who when they flew over from the east coast to Edmonton couldn't believe how long it ltook to fly across Canada. Guess they thought it would be less than an hour?!?!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2012

Post #9049055

Betty - growing up in the USA, I learned NOTHING about Canadian history. But the USA is so large, it's hard to understand why anyone would think they could cross Canada any faster. Last time we drove it, was 1986. Drove to Calgary for inlaw's 50th anniversary. Then out to Vancouver Island where DH's cousin lives. Then back to Vancouver for Expo. Then we put one kid on a plane to Calgary and drove down to Seatac to put the other on a plane to Alaska to visit my sister (my mother was also visiting and the two flew together back to Rochester). Then we had one whole week to drive across the continent and meet the kid visiting Calgary at Toronto airport. It's an interesting exercise and a real awareness maker of the vastness, but unless one wants to make a vacation out of the trip, once you count real car expenses (well over $. 50 a km) plus lodging meals and time, it's far more affordable to fly.

Another eye opener was our trip to Alaska in 1980. We flew to Calgary and took DFIL's truck with camper and drove the highway. Realizing how long you can keep going north and somewhat west and still be in Canada was mind blowing. We took ferries on the way back but it was so foggy we didn't see much.

And yes, Susan. It takes nearly as long to get to Vancouver as to fly to UK from here. And the International Viola Congress was held in Guelph in June 1979. One gal from CA had to go out and buy clothing as she had NO idea it would be so hot.
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 19, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9049155

hi gals, watch jeopardy and have to laugh when a canadian question comes up.
are we just a low profile country that doesn't get much notice ??
weather hit 24 today, humidity is high making it uncomfortable.
calling for rain tonight, barametric pressure is low.. no wonder my head hurts !
got a plug tray of perennials going..will prep the trays for tomatos yet.
would love to have a real toasted tomato sandwich. i'll have to see if 'starfire' ripens first
again this year.
susan are you getting the snow i'm seeing on the weather channel ??
betty see you have fog...
later..

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 19, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9049175

ViolaAnn you are so lucky to have seen much of our country and that of the USA. Memories for your family for sure.quite an experience I'm told to visit Alaska!

Friends did 3 months driving to Alaska and spending time fishing and canning. Loved it..did it pretty economical having their own 5th wheel..would imagine the cost of as now would just break the bank..sad isn't it..one never knows, this fall could go to stampede, stop and visit all along the way for a few hours..I drive to Florida without a thought so wonder why I think it would be overwhelming to drive to Calgary?

Just did another 1/2 hour in the garden..sooo taking my time, can't believe I'm doing what is best for these old bones..

So want to go throw seeds in the gardens, really tempted, hmm wonder how they would do or if it would be wasted? Could try a few packets ??
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 19, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9049240

Betty think of it this way - if you had annuals in the garden last summer and you let them go to seed and it dropped on the ground and came up next spring - what would be the difference between throwing it out now? A few weeks of really cold weather I guess. I have had some annuals do exactly that! In any case if you want to try just use have the package and keep the rest to put out when the weather is warm.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 19, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9049263

Going to give it a try Carol..how are you feeling? Not overdoing it are you?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 19, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9049328

Lindy - we were supposed to get 70% change of "isolated snow". Bob went out of town to help a friend move today, and he said it was a bit on the ground, but not much, and it's gone now

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 19, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9049345

Got a joke for you:

Little Carol came ...
into the kitchen where her mother was making dinner. Her birthday was coming up and she thought this was a good time to tell her mother what she wanted. "Mom, I want a bike for my birthday."

Now, Little Carol was a bit of a troublemaker. She had gotten into trouble at school and at home. Carol's mother asked her if she thought she deserved to get a bike for her birthday. Little Carol, of course, thought she did.

Carol's mother, being a Christian woman, wanted her to reflect on her behavior over the last year, and write a letter to God and tell him why she deserved a bike for her birthday. Little Carol stomped up the steps to her room and sat down to write God a letter.

LETTER 1:
Dear God:
I have been a very good girl this year and I would like a bike for my birthday. I want a red one.
Your friend, Carol

Carol knew this wasn't true. She had not been a very good girl this year, so she tore up the letter and started over.

LETTER 2:
Dear God:
This is your friend Carol. I have been a pretty good girl this year, and I would like a red bike for my birthday.
Thank you, Carol

Carol knew this wasn't true either. She tore up the letter and started again.

LETTER 3:
Dear God:
I know I haven't been a good girl this year. I am very sorry. I will be a good girl if you just send me a red bike for my birthday.
Thank you, Carol

Carol knew, even if it was true, this letter was not going to get her a bike. By now, she was very upset. She went downstairs and told her mother she wanted to go to church. Carol's mother thought her plan had worked because Carol looked very sad.
"Just be home in time for dinner," her mother said.

Carol walked down the street to the church and up to the altar. She looked around to see if anyone was there. She picked up a statue of the Virgin Mary, slipped it under her jacket and ran out of the church, down the street, into her house, and up to her room. She shut the door and sat down and wrote her letter to God

LETTER 4:
I GOT YOUR MAMA.
IF YOU WANT TO SEE HER AGAIN, SEND THE BIKE.
Signed,
YOU KNOW WHO

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 19, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9049355

Omg Susan, you've got me laughing!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 19, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9049360

lol Yeah, me 2, which is why I posted it... and isn't it nice to see it isn't "little Johnny" this time?
I should send it to my sister, Ruth Carol LOL
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 19, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9049604

S. really cute joke !
just rained buckets here.. lots of boomers.. sattelite kept going out, missed most of
dancing with the stars.
got my tomatos started finally, 35 varietys alot of them are new, but repeating the old
favorites. 3 types of roma...need those for sauce .
wish we could skip all this and just go straight to summer..
have a good night all
L

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 20, 2012
3:39 AM

Post #9049750

Morning everyone,

Housework done, almost ready to head out and pick up breakfast to eat at the office, have a hungering for pancakes..

LINDA we did skip from spring to summer 70's today and tomorrow!
35 varieties of tomatoes, Lordy you are ambitious...nothing like a half ripe tomatoe ready for a BLT.

See a couple of local nurseries are open..think I might drop in every Thursday and pick up a shrub, would have a good selection when time to plant..might just have some lilac bushes! realized I bought and forgot to plant a rose of Sharon ..looked at it last night, container did it no harm, full of buds.

Birds are a chirping, garbage day so best I get a move on

lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 20, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9050062

B.. have a great time at the nursery !
i keep seeing all the new hydrangeas advertised, such beautiful blooms !
i'm really happy with my ninebarks in the front, south side and it gets blazing hot in the
summer ! it seems to just deepen their color.
we put in a row of cedars along the driveway last year, took the walmart flyer in to home depot and saved 65 $. hubby covered them with burlap, but want to wait yet...i've heard
it's the spring when they burn.
anyone have cedars ? any good tips ?
ttfn

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 20, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9050113

ninebarks? What are they? Any pictures?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 20, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9050152

I've about 6 ninebarks Lindy, actually just pruned the top right off of it as it's grown beyond belief, about 7' tall and 5' wide..normally I'd love it but I have a large frame in the garden and with it being so high couldn't see the hanging basket cascading with flowers, it will either live or die.. Some are Dart's Gold Ninebard and a few Coppertina Ninebark..

As for cedars I bought from Home Depot about 8 last years, from the looks of them I think I've lost about 5, of course I should have put burlap around them..will learn a lesson

I bought a Grace Purple Smoke Bush about 3 years ago, looked like it might not make it but it's about 5' so am thrilled with it...I've also had a lot of luck with burning bushes and gold tide forsythia, those I have here and there, must be 2 in numbers. So hard to tell if something is dead or alive when it comes to shrubs, some it's not until late May before they take on an "I'm alive" appearance.

Planted miniature snowflake mockorange shrubs and bridal wreath spirea, hope the are ok..

lordy think I must have 100 shrubs in total, no wonder I'm tired out trying to get gardens in order.

On my WISH list for this year is an Ivory Silk Tree Lilac

This message was edited Mar 20, 2012 11:34 AM
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 20, 2012
11:29 AM

Post #9050257

Betty I love the Tree Lilac! Mine was probably planted about 1992. Seems to alternate between huge bloom and not much bloom but in any case the scent is fabulous.

I like the Ninebarks, Darts Gold is my favorite, I dont have Coppertina but a neighbor does and the color is great.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 20, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9050272

OMG Carol, love it, just not sure where I will put it when I get one. Think the last time I priced one they were about $150 for fairly large size..will check on my way home tonight when I stop in to pick up a shrub. The area you have it is it mostly sun??

When I think back 7 years ago there was perhaps a couple of Iris on side of house, nothing more, if I soon don't stop there won't be grass..lol

The year before last I purchased a ??? Goat's beard I think, it's grown by 2' since fall, can't wait to see it in bloom, not really any scent thought..what I'm looking for are shrubs that have scent.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 20, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #9050276

forgot the photo

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 20, 2012
12:10 PM

Post #9050294

Japanese kerria is also a new shrub I purchased last year, anxious to see how it will do this spring..actually, it's grown in almost corkscrew branches and maybe several feet taller than last year..it just might like it's location..does say prefers light shade, it's in the sun much of the day so we'll see..

This message was edited Mar 20, 2012 2:10 PM
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 20, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9050393

Betty I have several Goatsbeard ( Aruncus) Great for shady areas. Yes the Lilac is in full sun.

There are shrubs you can grow that I cannot or at least not so well.

Do you have Weigela?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 20, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9050416

G R O A N !!!!!!! Because of the amazing temps here .. we went out and gardened to THE MAX today .. right now I am a hurtin unit !! Ahh well .. at least we got a fair amount done. I am NOT convinced we will not have another snowstorm .. it won't stay, but it'll bring back memories .. suffice to say we have NOT put away the shovels or snowblowers.

Beautiful shrub/tree photos .. have plans to purchase a couple this year .. have always liked the look of the 'Snowball Bush' .. have plenty of Lilacs and Spirea .. and a 'SAD Wigella' :-( I kinda think North Western Ont. is perhaps not the place to grow one .. DANG IT !!!

Stay well all

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 20, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9050529

Ahhh "M" remember I said it was ok to do little blocks of time but you did not listen. Lol. Sorry for the hurts, am sure tomorrow you will feal it even worse.

I did stop at the nursery, 6. Silk lilac. $95. 10' $135..wonder if I hinted enough the kids would get the hint..did buy a nice lilac called French primrose (hybrid). Produces yellow buds which open to single flowers ranging from pale yellow to creamy white..attracts butterflies because of its fragrance..only had the one, said he would order a few more for me.

Yes, I believe I've about 16 weigelia..I have to watch myself as they look dead till late spring then spruce right up...love the deep maroon the best,fine wine and the wine and roses

This message was edited Mar 20, 2012 6:01 PM
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 20, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9050807

the ninebarks i have are 'summer wine' and 'hot chocolate' bought them from costco
i think there's another new one out this year...amber something..
ttfn

Thumbnail by lindypuddin   Thumbnail by lindypuddin

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 21, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9051481

Omg Lindy, your gardens are spectacular! Love the ninebarks..when they are set where they love to live they sure put on a show! You've a lot to maintain as well. You will have to post other photo's of your gardens so we can ohh and ahhh

Working from home today..more out on my back deck than anything else..took the enclosure down (watch it snow now) washing everything and getting ready for new patio settee Greg will deliver in a few hours.

What is presently in the secret garden furniture wise will be burnt, back deck set put in its place. Will look out of place until leaves are out but don't want to store them until then.

I'm sure from the weather this mornimg that you all are enjoying this glorious weather..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 21, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9051568

Oh my .. have looked up 'Nine Barks' and am now thinking that THAT will be my choice .. either with, or, without the Snowball bush LoL
As most of you know I am becoming a VERY perennail gal .. with flats here in TBay at $20./flat .. annuals are few and far between ..

Went to physio today .. and the therapist noted I am tanned !!! I wear shorts, and I guess my legs aren't 'fish belly white' anymore LoL
Feel I have turned a corner re the physio .. am finding my movement is better .. still can't bend down unless I hang onto something though.

OMG!!!!! We have rain today and the M U D is atrocious on the driveway!! This summer is most definitely the summer for the laying of the gravel or crusher fines, whatever .. looooooooonnnngggggggg driveway .. but .. as long as the part up by the gate to the dogs enclosure is done, I'd be happy ..

Guess I should figure out something for supper .. I think it may be a fish 'n chips kinda night :-)

Toodles

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 21, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9051710

~M~ - a TAN???? OMG it must be hot and sunny there - I soooooo envy you!!
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 21, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9052032

hey marilynne i've planted snowball viburnum over the years and they always end up
with aphids. nice thing about the ninebarks...good color selection and man !...problem
free/ bud out to the tips even in our zone !
i wish i could grow the new hydrangeas...some of the new ones out there look pretty.
this yard has been easy to look after...hubby poured concrete curbs, and raised lots up
so i can get at them easier. in my last yard i would often stay on my hands and knees
across the yard lol...
so is everyone having ok weather ?
had the old schnauzer at the vet yesterday...hubby took him and i really didn't think he
was coming back...but the vet gave him prednisone to see how he does.
14 years... going to miss him like crazy when the time comes.. he has been such a loyal
part of the family. i remember the one time the son was about 10 yrs. old and was teasing
him. he grabbed the kids hand...looked him in the eye, and gave him a little growl. made
it QUITE clear he wasn't going to put up with it. scared the bejeebers from the kid!
hopefully he can enjoy some more time in the yard.
have a good nite all

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 21, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9052044

Our weather got up to 5c... now it's 3c, so it's not so great right now. A couple of weeks ago we go up to +15c, and we'll have that again, soon :-)
Glad your schnauzer is doing good. 14 years is a good age.
I remember when a dog we had was sitting next to me, and unbeknownst to me our 8 mo old had tangled his wee fist into the dog's hair and pulled a fistful out. Lady didn't even bark, and I only realized our son had done this when I saw the hair - She knew that he was a baby, I guess...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 22, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9052443

I'm thinking perhaps our slew of 'record breaking temps' may have come to an end. Furnace is on this morning, and it's kinda chilly outside .. course, that could change in a heart beat .. the rain yesterday has greened up the lawns .. and made things look a bit less 'dirty'.

Lindy, our 2 Westies are both protective of us .. not in a bad way .. but they put themselves, and their BARKING in between us and the person they are unsure of .. it's nice to see, but, at times, rather irritating as they tend to try to OUT BARK one another !!!!

Am hoping one of the Green Houses here bouts sells 'Nine barks' kinda excited now to get one .. I am happy to have the tidbit re APHIDS .. creepy lil buggers those are .. and .. destructive !!!

Off to physio today .. last session for this week .. hard to believe it's Friday tomorrow !! This week has flown by ..

Take care

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 22, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9052537

Morning all, another sunshine day here with high temps, weekend they say will still be higher than normal but not quite as high as what we have had all week.

Enjoyed my day home yesterday, had to stay in close proximity to back deck as I was answering calls from home..did manage to bet the back deck enclosures down, washed everything, moved the cafe furniture into secret garden and had a big bonfire with what was presently being used.

Greg picked up my new patio set, got to give him credit, didn't flinch when he brought the two crates and we realized the set had to be put together..omg, so many parts and pieces but like a loving son, stayed till dark until the entire set was on the back deck..laughed when I said I would spend time sitting, I got that look ' but you never sit' lol

Was laughing to myself as I drove in, worked from home (if you can call it that when you answer about 10 calls) yesterday and will do so Friday and I come in today which is payday..my hand should really shake when I take my paycheck today.

I just could not believe last night as my little landscaper came to help just how much growth I saw in the gardens since Sunday when we were raking..my Forthysia's are showing mega yellow leaves, lilac buds are opening..amazing once you rake and the sun gets at it just how it thrives.

Told Greg to look up, few of the 30' trees have buds opening into leaves..wow, likely leaves on trees by Easter..imagine!

"M" you will love Ninebark, bet that is not all you come home with...last year I bought miniature snowballs, think they do something in the dna, not prone to aphids..I'll have to read up on them and if not then will spray with neem. I did plant my lilac tree last night, thinking of picking up another tonight..no frost whatsoever in the ground, easy digging.
You will be pleased to have physio behind you. Any plans for visiting Lorna's parents? A bit back you said she wasn't well, is she now feeling ok?

Lindy, perhaps your schnauzer was just having an off day and will get to enjoy summer with you.

Had a St. Bernard when I lived on Little Lake, he must have sensed I wasn't a great swimmer..I would no sooner be out enjoying that he would come, gently take me by the arm and drag me back to shore.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 22, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9052953

Woke up to a world of white... took about 10 min to clean off my car of the "snowball" snow!
It's only minus 1c right now, but should warm up soon, I hope.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 23, 2012
4:55 AM

Post #9053654

Another rainy day in Thunder Bay .. but .. rain = green up, so, we can all live with that.

Betty .. Lorna's folks will come here in May .. Lorna is dealing with a very painful right knee .. since her right leg is her only leg, it has supported her on its own now for almost THREE years .. can you believe come this Sept it has been 3 years since her amputation !! Anywho .. I kinda thought her knee would have acted up sooner .. but.. we see the doc on Monday and will take it from there .. likely some physio along with XRays and MRI .. hopefully NO surgery required .. don't even want to think about that !!!

If I do purchase a Snowball Bush along with the Nine Barks .. I'll make sure to read the Snowball tag, or ask a nursery worker, if the bush is prone to aphids.
Worked in the perennial bed the other day .. it's dry as a bone .. so .. bring on the rain ..
Hopefully the deer won't notice the tender DayLily shoots !! Have to remember where I put my bucket of 'Deer Scram' !!

Susan .. hope the snow was short lived !! Rumor has it we may see some in the coming week ..

TGIF ^_^

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 23, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9053988

Marilyn - 50% of the snow has melted, but there's still quite a bit on the ground...
It's minus 4c right now, and 11am. High of minus 2 today. By Wed, it's supposed to get to plus 11c...
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 23, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9054529

hi gals, what a difference in the old dog ! just a couple of days of pills.
weather here has been cooling down now, next week some rain too.
betty, how big is your yard ?? it sounds great. room for ponds, and so many plants.
this lot here looked big when it was empty, but with the house, hubby's big garage,
and the driveway, it seems there's not much left. i guess that's okay too... easy to
keep on top of it all.
i remembered the name of the new ninebark..it's amber jubilee, for the queen's 60th on
the throne. the color is really nice.
something on the news about how much garbage is laying all over the city...
it is bad...that and the pot holes, and the squeegee people. lol
have a good nite
L

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 24, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9055071

WOOT WOOT !!! If I suddenly 'disappear' it could mean we won the LOTTO MAX, apparently someone from TBay won it and we have 3 tickets .. Gord is in town and has them with him to check .. oh .. the pain of anticipation LoL !!!

Lindy .. love the name of that Nine Bark .. I'm a 'semi monarchist' .. think the Queen is kind of a nice gal .. lots of history travels with her and her family ..

Wish we had less property .. keep thinking a condo would be nice at this time of year, but, I do not forsee that anytime soon, so, it's business as usual re the 'clean up' .. good thing it's only 4 of the 10 acres that are cleared !!

Watched 'The Descendants' with George Clooney last evening .. very good movie .. great story line. Then watched "Carnage" with Jodie Foster and Kate Winslet .. odd movie .. kept watching it because we had rented it .. it took place in an apt in NY .. never moved from that Apt .. a squabble between 2 couples re their sons who had had a falling out ..

Damp and cool here .. laundry on tap, and MAYBE I'll make PNut butter cookies .. BIG maybe !!

Have a good one

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 24, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9055270

SIGH!!! Won't be disappearing, didn't win on any of the tickets .. almost GLAD, started to really THINK about it .. sort of scary !!!

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 24, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9055295

Yes Marilyn - there are TV shows showing how winning The Big One changes your life, including those that Hound you for assistance. I have specific people I know I would help (after digging myself out of my financial "hole"), including our Church, but really - would I have to change my ph#? hmmmmmm I'm always caught twixt-and-tween as to whether I would want the responsibility of that much $$
Wish we have More property. 36ft x 60 ft lot sure doesn't leave much for planting (with our 14x52 ft trailer on the lot!) I'll come share some of yours, k? lol

Lindy - glad to hear your "old dog" is doing better on the medication!!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 24, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9055399

Come on down Susan .. LoL
I am reminded of the saying 'be careful what you wish for' !!!
When we were house hunting 24 years ago Gord wanted to move to the country, he had been raised in a rural area and I thought it was a good idea as Murray (our son) was just young .. plus, we had big dogs at that time ..
This house had been on the market for a year .. reason being the acreage (lots to mow and care for) and, the woman selling was looking for the 'right buyer' .. she had been widowed and had 2 teenagers .. her hubby had built the home .. as it came to pass .. I had cared for her Mom on Hospice .. long story short .. she accepted our offer, and, 3 months later we moved from our 155ft x 80ft .. to a new home on 10 acres ..
NOW, we're 24 years OLDER and doing the upkeep is not so much FUN anymore .. but .. it's still nice to have the room.

Before I knew we had had not won Lotto Max I was thinking of how it would change our lives .. perhaps NOT for the better ... think I'll remain just as happy at status quo.

Made 5 dozen PNut butter cookies, burned a dozen for good measure LOL .. just ONE flippin minute too long in the oven and POOF .. black bottoms .. funny thing about PNut butter cookies, thay even taste good a bit burned
^_^

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 24, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9055472

Marilyn - even 155ft x 80ft would be great... siiiiiiiigh

OH PNut butter cookies! We got some given to us (friend works at Timmies!) and I love 'em! I was looking in Bob's "1001 Cookie Recipes" book, and found about 7 PB cookie, several bars and square, etc - all containing PB! I found one I like, so am going to see if they're anything like the Timmies cookies.
lol One recipe I found makes 4 to 6 cookies per cookie sheet - they're called Jumbos for a reason!!!!! That's not the one I'm making, though LOL
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 24, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9055744

oh you guys...got me thinking of cookies !
daughter is home this week-end..getting all our taxes done, and she LOVES to bake.
i make sure there is always butter in the freezer for when she comes home.
see if i can drop some hints...
about the ninebark..jeffries nursery has nice pics of it..and even shows the queen
planting one. the ole gal does pretty good for her age!
did anyone watch the new dancing with the stars ? it looks like it will be a good year.
cold here today, rained early this morning
nite all L

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 25, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9056078

Morning all, first got up and brrr it was cold, forgot coffee when did groceries yesterday and needed a fix so off to grocery store, luckily Foodland is only down the street. By the time I came home birds are chirping and sun coming out so guess I will get a few hours of outdoor work in today! Ohhh might even cut a few daffodils and bring them inside to enjoy.

Two kitties seem to each have picked a twin size bed in one of the bedrooms, talk about hair so washed all the bedding, needs to be made now, bit of dusting, wash floors and there you go it's play time.

"m" would not want to win big one..perfect for me would be about 250k, just enough to treat myself to a few things.

Went to car dealership yesterday, looked at the chev sonic, fell in love with it, candy apple red..would have bought it in a sec, however, good judgement set in..have my little Aveo that I just did a lot of preventive maintenance to, looks like new, mega miles on it but runs like a charm..I just bought a patio settee set for back deck for same as they would give me on trade in..not goingto happen..so, will drive intil something major happens then go buy a car. Alternative would be to give it to Kyle but I always do same for all 4 grandkids, not prepared to go that route...lol

Cookies, yikes, I will stay away from baking them, bake and eat them all I'd do and I'm really going to start watching what I eat, need to lose 25lbs..easy to put on but not so much fun taking it off. Now that I can get out biking, gardening etc it may help. Now if I lived at your place "m" could make a track around the 10 acres so I could walk/run or bike.

Had so many precut shapes from stained glass pieces I made that I decided to make a stained glass window panel with scraps..even melted some of same color glass not roundels...didn't buy anything but a roll of solder and two links of chain..think the friend I'm giving it to will like it..

While I've all stained glass tools out, might make another for Christmas gift..hmmm while resting between yard duty..

Having trouble with Internet connection, rarely enough to open sites..will call them tomorrow if not fixed.

lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 25, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9056227

g'morning ! B we have an old ford ranger 410,000 k's still runs but ticks when cold. not worth anything..so we'll probably keep it around. we have an escape too,
great in the winter...nice for shopping and getting in and out of, but a little car would save on fuel costs
been looking at magazines at what's new for 2012, there's dahlia'dark angels' single flower/burgandy leaves
a new coralbell..'stainless steel' a new column crabapple 'emerald spire' 15x6 ..
'goldspur' amur cherry 15x9 this tree has neat gold exfoliating bark, saw these in the new
'garden making' magazine.
i'm a fool for magazines.. and the catalouges. holes from alberta, hortico from ontario...cheers L

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 25, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9056459

Lindy, have the Garden Gallery guide out..last year I ticked all perennials, trees, shrubs I have so that I can purchase something new..in the note section I will mark those you've just listed..

When I had the timing belt and rad done last fall they. Told me I could likely get another 160kl there are 2 stone chips on hood and nothing else wrong with body..Lordy,summer/winter tires are worth what they were giving..no offense to dealership but I'm not going for it.

On cool side, did go out and do a bit of burning, I smell like a bbq'ing betty lol but it's a bit damp for me. Instead of taking a chance catching a cold or making my head pound even more, think I will go in search of my seeds I saved from plants last head and organize them..another week or so shall scatter and hope for the best!
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 26, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9057315

B. my hubby would say your car is just broken in !
plant rack is set up..it holds 16 plug trays..so far have 4x72 of tomatos, 1x72 of peppers
and 1x72 of perennials.
each plug tray makes 4 trays of 3.5" pots
lots of friends have been asking for petunias and marigolds, the plug trays work great,
each hole is 1.5 " square..so i start them late april. and they're a nice size by planting time. not in full bloom... but they last longer than commercial plants.
unfortunately, most of the flowers and baskets at the stores are in full bloom by june and
finished early. one thing i'll do is to buy the hanging baskets on sale...pop them into a bigger planter... give them a haircut and a good shot of fertilizer.
but there are some hybrids like the 'supertunias' that don't set seed...so they basicly don't die. i've had them blooming into october..it looks strange.. everything dying out, but
these bubble-gum pink petunias..blooming away !!
proven winners has a web site check it out
happy and safe week to all
L

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 26, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9057489

wow, what size of veggie garden do you have?? Now that is a tremendous amount of work. I've tried several years running, waste of time and seed for me. Did purchase a pkg. of expensive vine seeds, might give them a try. Found several containers of seeds from my own gardens, worked up some earth and scattered, will see if any come up.

Is super petunia's something different than the wave petunia's?
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 26, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9057608

oh they're not all for me ! actually we have room for about 40 tomatos..but since i'm
starting them..i have lots for my family and friends.
and the petunias are so $$ to buy...and a 6-pack sure doesn't go very far, i like to start
them from seed.
the marigolds too...are so easy to start, but i need about 50 to go across the front of my yard so this way is so much cheaper.
the supertunias are grown from cuttings, so all of them are clones..
they don't follow the growth cycle of a regular annual...grow/set seed/then die.
thats why 'dead-heading' keeps your annuals going longer. kind of freaky what's being
done to plants now.
L
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 26, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9057661

Just had a call from Garden Retreat that the plugs I ordered are in - dont even remember what I ordered probably Calibrocha and Petunias for containers. Guess I better get ready to do some repotting and get them under the lights. Well I have been complaining of being bored - this will at least give me one thing to do!

Back to theC ancer Clinic tomorrow - maybe restart chemo on Wed although it would be nice to have another week - but whatever the doc says!
Tree trimming tomorrow also - lots to do there.

Dont think I ever told you the dog story- just after I got home from hospital had a frantic phonecall from dog walker that he had picked up the dogs ( my dogs were staying with a friend who was going to Hawaii the next day) and when they got to the park Bailey was unconscious, no resp or heart beat! They did some CPR and rushed him to a nearby vet. Vet thinks he most likely had a big seizure but when I saw him he was still pretty much comatose. After some discussion I opted to take him home and deal with whatever happened- he just turned 15 and I was not going to do any extensive testing. Well to shorten the story after about 2 days he was back to normal! And continues to be fine! I had not expected him to survive the night he looked so bad! Guess he told us it was not his time to cross the bridge!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 26, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #9057703

Carol, Wow, that sounds crazy! What a lot for you to deal with. Good old Bailey for pulling through! Good news!
I bet you will have bought yourself silly with the plug order. LOL Better get all your lights ready. Do you transplant the plugs from trays or do they come in bags?
I have been tracking my night lows in the G house and found that we are only going to 29 F soooooo maybe able to get it open soon.
Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 26, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9057746

Carol - so glad that Bailey pulled through!! Did he perhaps have an allergic reaction to something? My DD's pug ate a tiny bit of onion (she thinks, anyway) that fell on the floor when she was prepping dinner. Had a bad reaction, but a couple of days later was fine. Furries DO eat stuff they're not supposed to... and being in a different house, she may have...

Time to prune the trees, eh Carol? Well, not likely This week - so much snow to come... but then will get "normal" temps and looking forward to That! Do you have someone who will do this for you?
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 26, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9057761

Adair Tree Care looks after my trees.

Ann the plugs come in trays. And I know I did not order as much as last year. I have the order saved somewhere on the computer but too lazy to look it up. Getting ready to go to a funeral- a lady who used to work for Hort Society died suddenly last week- had liver/pancreatic cancer I think.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 26, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9057842

So sorry to hear about the loss to you and the Hort Society.

Glad your boredom will be lessened, with all those plugs to re-pot!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 26, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9058173

Can't resist

http://player.vimeo.com/video/27920977?title=0&%3bbyline=0&%3bportrait=0href=

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 26, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9058317

Oh Betty - you make me think of summer, and gardens, and planting... Thank You!! They're gorgeous!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 27, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9059374

Carol .. nice that Bailey is still with us .. these furries keep us hopping !!

Betty, the link is gorgeous .. since the weather has returned to NORMAL March temps and conditions, it was nice to see what WILL be happening in a month or so.

Physio is ongoing, mixed reviews really .. some days good following, some days not .. but, I am able to do pretty much anything with care.
Lorna is awaiting a time and date for her right knee MRI .. between that and the phantom pain in her stump she is pretty much NOT a happy camper .. but .. I'm sure that this too shall pass ..

Off to make a meat loaf ..

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 27, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9059390

~M~ - I can understand the "phantom pain" Lorna's having, but thought she was through with MRIs?! Now that she has prosthesis for both legs, isn't she through with all that stuff, soon?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 27, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9059554

Lorna just has one prosthetic leg, the left .. when she isn't wearing it, she uses a walker and kind of 'hops' on her 'good' right leg .. after 2 years of 'hopping', the right knee is starting to complain ... so .. MRI time .. just am hoping she doesn't have to wait too long .. and that the 'fix' is easy .. PUHLEEZE !!!

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 27, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9059616

has it really been 2 years? wow - how time flies
I can well appreciate how her "good" leg is compensating for her use of the prosthesis on the other "leg".
I'm with you - paying for her MRI app't to be quick, and the "fix" easy...
Dear Lord - Lorna's gone through enough (nuff said!)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 27, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9059775

Be back in a bit..you know how there re talent shows ie American idol? Well I've been watching Senior Star...all seniors, talk about talent..on till 11, sure hope I can stay awake and watch this special Canadian show!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #9060047

Hi folks,

Went to Ottawa Hort. Soc. meeting last night. Interesting talk about suitable trees for planting in city yards. I went to get ideas but came home filled with hope for our black ash. The city is being hard hit by the Emerald Ash Borer but we've had out tree inoculated. He showed a picture of two at the Dominion Arboretum - one had been inoculated and was looking healthy. The other had not and was nearly dead. I had not counted on the inoculation working but would really like to keep this tree as it's SW of the house and provides significant shade. DH and the original next door neighbour dug it out of the bush in 1971 and planted it straddling the lot line between our two driveways. Current next door neighbour (to the west) doesn't like it, but our approach is to do what we can to keep it alive and if it doesn't work, let them take it down.

We've got freezing rain this morning. Yuck!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 28, 2012
5:08 AM

Post #9060072

We have several Black Ash on the property, seems they must be sort of indigenous to this region .. so far so good re the Borer .. I keep flashing back to the last onslaught of Army worms/Tent Caterpillars .. about 7 years ago .. my gosh, it was gross and devastating .. not sure which of those adjectives should have gone first !!!

Intermittent light snow here today, the furnace is on, so I know it's a cool one out there !!

Betty .. have heard of the Seniors show .. we have them here as well in some of the newer 'Retirement Homes' .. they're quite popular, and generate large audiences .. I do believe Chartwell is a backer for the show?

Off to physio again today ... fingers crossed it isn't as 'owie' as yesterday !!!

Thanks for T & Ps for Lorna .. one can only hope this is a 'fixable and MINOR hurdle' ..

Take care all

^_^

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 28, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9060338

slept really late - in bed by 11:30 and now it's after 9:30 - just woke up. Guess I needed the sleep! Lately we'd been going to sleep about 2 to 3 am, and we decided that wasn't a good thing. This being out of work sucks for both of us.
I got a Job Fair to go to at a company called My Sewing Place - Saturday at 8am! They're looking for a Administrative Assistant.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 29, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9061586

Morning, bit under the weather last few days, must read up when I get myself organized on what you are all up to...

Imagine 80 last week, snow tomorrow, wont stay on the ground for long though.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 29, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9061605

Hope you feel better Betty ..

Cool here in Thunder Bay .. typical March weather, seems to be going out like a LION !!!

Busy, as always, must mean I;m still alive LoL

Take care

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 29, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9061739

was 55 yesterday... and hopefully higher today - just had snow on Monday - crazy, eh?
I thought March came in like a Lion...!!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 29, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9061974

First blooms!

Hepaticas in the north bed ( facing south)

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 29, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9062219

oh Carol - so nice to see Spring "peeping up" - one of those 'when least expected' kinda things!!
Thank you for this - it gives me hope that my garden is waking up, too!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 30, 2012
4:20 AM

Post #9062837

We've wakened to about 2 inches of snow ... Now .. I know it won;t last, and the dogs are SO HAPPY to be able to roll in it again, but, it sure looks crummy !!

TGIF everyone

^_^

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 30, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9062859

Morning, sunshine here in my neck of the woods, but they are calling for snow tonight..glad I'm shuffling off to Buffalo!

Isn't it exciting seeng blooms..must take walk around the gardens and see if I've any..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 30, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9063203

I AM OVER THE MOON WITH GOOD NEWS ABOUT MY SISTER!!!
My Sister went to the oncologist today, and what they thought was cancer Isn't! He said she has No Cancer!. She'd been treated for cancer for 16 years and has had 3 lung surgeries to remove cancerous lumps. Then, when she thought it was pretty much treated, they found something growing and said "your cancer is back and growing". Well, guess what? It started to shrink and cancer Doesn't shrink without treatment (and she wasn't on treatment) so it's an infection or inflammation and they're sending her to a respiratory Dr to see what it is. Praise The Lord!!!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 30, 2012

Post #9063431

Susan what super news!! and what a relief.
Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 30, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9063462

Thank you, Ann!!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 30, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9063503

Great news Susan!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9063562

What wonderful news, Susan.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 30, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9063631

Now THAT is the BEST kind of news to hear ^_^

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 30, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9063658

Thank you, all
Yes, it surely is the Best News I've heard for quite awhile from my family :-)
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 30, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9063781

hi girls...good to hear about your sister
it sure has cooled off here...and we've been getting rain/sleet.
been a rough week...had to say good-by to my dog. just a word for him...

1997-2012

and when my days are done
i pray god will let me see
heavens gates opening
and my dog waiting there for me

Thumbnail by lindypuddin

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 30, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9063809

oh Lindy - how sad for you - well, he was a cute little Scottie and those are such adorable breeds.
I'm positive he'll be there for you - after all, Heaven is a place we will feel at peace and what better way to feel at peace than to have the ones we love surrounding us?!
15 years was a good long life - bless you for looking after him while he was on earth.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2012 7:20 PM
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 30, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9063868

thanks susan xoxo
i'd like to think it was i that was blessed for having him with us
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 30, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9063878

I am sorry to hear of your loss Lindy - I have 2 15 year olds and know the day may soon come when I have to let them go.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 30, 2012
8:51 PM

Post #9063883

It is difficult to have to make the final decision - it's a brave one to make, but one that benefits your furry
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 30, 2012
9:13 PM

Post #9063900

thanks to hubby for stepping up...weds. evening i just said 'call the vet' and 15 minutes later...they were gone. didn't have to count down the clock...but daughter-in-law thought i was having a heart-attack. omg what a scene ! got myself so worked up, thats me though...i'm the one that falls on the floor wailing... and then i'm ok. took this FAR worse than when my father passed, i guess i'm in the same club as bob barker and betty white !!! our vet is great, he had a shot to knock him out before he got the lethal shot. we'll have his ashes next week.
thanks everyone L

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 31, 2012
5:18 AM

Post #9064022

HUGE HUGS Lindy ... such a trying time for all of you .. but really, 'time is the healer' .. as for 'losing it' .. I have certainly 'been there, done that' .. I had to drive down our country road to a small trail off to the side as I couldn't watch hubby and our son take our 17yr old Elkhound on his last trip to the vet .. I bawled like a baby !!
Your boy lived a good long life, cherish the GREAT memories ...

Sincere condolences

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 31, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9064321

I went for my interview at "My Sewing Room" and it went well - just that they want to pay me 1/2 of what my last jobs were. They mentioned that, and the fact they think this is "a step down" for me.
Oh Well, I'll think about it, in the meantime, Bob is going there for a Shipper/Receiver position! They'll pay him what he's used to getting, so that's a PLUS! I hope he gets the job!!
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 31, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9064400

M. thanks it's getting easier each day...
susan, best of luck to both of you ! sometimes wage can be made up in other ways, maybe you'd be happy there...tough call.
it's a great day here...i think i saw some delphinium poking up !
L

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 31, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9064585

Bob couldn't do the job - not a fit. They require much much more computer skills than he has.
The job I went about - ... Not sure I could survive on 1/2 pay... They really don't have any benefits (other than my working at a Quilting Shop!!!) so the wage wouldn't be made up that way...
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

March 31, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9064739

s. yea that is a big drop, sometimes a little less doesn't make much difference, but 1/2 is way too much.
hope all works out
L

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 1, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9065187

So Susan, your search goes on, as does Bobs, all I can say is I'm rooting for you, I always tend to think that summer brings along with it, more available jobs .. fingers crossed for both of you.

Our snow is almost all gone .. kind of foggy outside right now .. supposedly more rain on the way .. bring it on, the wells need it.

The Lotto Max winner here in TBay (or group) has yet to reveal themselves .. they have gone through the verifying procedure though, and we all pretty much know which lottery store sold the ticket (the owner there gets $50,000.) kind of exciting still :-)

Have a great APRIL FOOLS DAY .. I forgot til just now .. no tircks from me .. have a Scrabble game awaiting ..

TTFN

~M~

^_^
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

April 1, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9065509

watching the weather channel with pics fr. across the country... said manitoba should be the hot spot today...well it's 12 and sure isn't 19 degrees out...actually overcast and there's a cool wind. had some robins in the front yard...so i turned some soil for them, we'll see if they notice !
been getting lots of calls and visits about the dog...neighbours past who knew him well,
it's been nice to hear how they remember what a kind and gentle with kids dog he was.
tomatos are doing good..showing true leaves now... the plants are coming up in the beds.. i see the alpine columbines, delphinium, peonies, daylilys are showing green shoots.
susan stay positive, geo. left his job after 32 yrs. and found one that is so much better.
things seem to always work out.
L
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 1, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9065517

Going to Fancyvan's to hang out with some great gardening buds

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 1, 2012

Post #9065760

Enjoy yourselves, Joanne and Carol :-)
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 1, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9065869

My Bailey has had a tough day - I think maybe he had another seizure last night. He has slept outside all day except for occasionally changing position, wont eat, I just brought him into the house and he is not weight bearing on one front leg ( that is 'new') not looking good. Maybe take him to the vet tomorrow - see how things go tonight.

An annual April Fools garden group get together this afternoon - lots of good food although I personally cant eat it- everything tastes bad and I had to ask everybody to take their left overs home! Dishes all got washed and extra chairs put away -nothing for me to do except take a nap!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 1, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9065876

ah yes, the Foolies group - I'd forgotten you belonged to that! Somewhere on my system I have the Poem that was made for it lol
so sorry you weren't able to enjoy the food, Carol.
Hope Bailey just stepped on a thorn or something fixable!
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

April 1, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9065921

the weather changed... it did reach 18.
carol, hope bailey is ok..
good nite all
L

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 2, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9066402

Carol .. good to hear 'the group' got together .. I can imagine it was fun.
So sorry to hear about Bailey .. I wish you all the best re the vet today.

TBay got to about 12C ysterday .. right now the furnace is coming on as it's a cool damp day .. rain in forecast sporadically up until Wednesday.
A couple of Robins are just singing their hearts out in the back .. as are some very noisy Crows !! They all have nests on the make around the property.
I have a fascination with Crows and Ravens ever since I watched a documentary on them a few years back .. these birds are quite intelligent.

Making arrangements today sometime to have a wisdom tooth extracted :-(
Have put it off long enough .. I am not afraid to say I am terrified!!! But, this putting it off is not helping .. best I 'buck up'!!

Hope everyone has a great week ^_^

~M~
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

April 2, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9066602

morning, rain for us again today, if this is going to be like last year i'm glad we're at the top of the hill ! the folks on the low part had lots of problems, we saw at one house folks pulling out a dead spruce...the hole was full of water. that's the problem when you live on a 'flood plain', a thick clay base that doesn't absorb water well. some call it 'manitoba gumbo'. a new development went in with lots costing 70k. there were bullrushes in the ditches in front.. hello!!!
m. i think i saw the same show, but i'll share with you... i threw a hamburger bun out to a crow..the bun broke into 2 pieces, mr. crow hopped from one to the other, then picked up one side, hopped over, stacked the two, then picked up both and flew away !!! they've adapted so well, alot don't even migrate anymore.
going through my annual seeds, friends all love the plug trays of petunias, i'll be starting them around the 3rd week of this month, each tray hold 72, so what a huge cost saver.
with only a cost of maybe 2 $. a new one for this year will be Hurrah mix 8-10 inch.
cheers L

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 2, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9066643

Morning all, from the looks of it with beams of light filtering through mall roof, it's a sunshine day out there..yikes, did we have a frost..how do those poor tender plants survive??

Coming home from Buffalo yesterday afternoon there was quite a downpour and talk about hail, could barely see the road, didn't last but 10 or 15 minutes thankfully. Didn't buy much, overdid my allowable though, told the border agent the amount because I and Ann were both prepared to pay duty but he said 'have a nice day'..shouldn't be a problem come June 1st. with the amounts going from $50 on a 24hr stay to $200 and on a 48 hr. stay (which I usually do) $800..
Did see a nice gazebo for $299 and a t.v. cabinet for $249..all I need now is to buy a truck or talk one of my boys to going over with me..lol

Stopped in Barrie, celebrated my sister Sharon's 60th birthday with family..thank goodness for special birthdays as we rarely get together..seems when dad passed on and we became parents as well, there went the regular gatherings.

Ohhh Carol, sure hope pooch is feeling better today! How did your gathering go with the April Fools gang???

Susan, just know there are jobs out there for both of you...just have to be patient..easy to say when bill collectors aren't.

"M" sure hope it's a group and they all get to share in the wealth..we had a group in Penetang that won the big lotto as well, each got I think 1.6 million..was really exciting for our community.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9067342

Anyone know whether all of your stay has to be after June 1? I'm gonna order some dishes to Rochester while I'm down there for the International Viola Congress. But I'm heading down there on May 29. Actually, I'm probably there long enough IN June anyway.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 2, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9067351

I'm sure you will be fine ..are they a specific pattern?
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 2, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9067515

In addition to food a couple of the Fools brought flowers! Nice to have just now!

Bailey is feeling better today, we went to the vet mainly just to chat but after he examined him he thinks it is a heart problem not a seizure but in any case either way there would be underlying disease and I chose not to do further testing or treatment. And the vet agrees. If he was a young dog it would be different but he is 15 and almost completely deaf and I dont think his mind is so clear anymore and really that is considered end game for shelties.
The only thing the vet said was if some time he does not respond when I stimulate him to wake even if his heart is still beating and he is still breathing if he does not respond then it is time to help him on his way.
And I am OK with that. He is my first dog, with me since he was 18 months old but I think his time here is almost finished and I will not let him suffer.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

April 2, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9067612

c. sorry to hear what you're going through.
L
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 2, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9067620

Lindy sorry to hear about your dear 4 legged kid, it is tough but you did the right thing by him not letting him suffer.
Carol I don't envy you with Bailey, been there done that! He has been a wonderful family member for you. You too are doing right by him.

Peace be with you both.
Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 2, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9067627

Carol - Bailey is a dear old friend, and you'd be doing well by him regardless of yours and the vet's decision - good for you.
Lovely hydrangeas!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 2, 2012
11:14 PM

Post #9067722

Gotta love life and the 'tough decisions' we have to make .. but .. the decisions surrounding the alleviating of pain and discomfort in one of our fur children, be they tough ones, are good ones .. and ones that down the road we feel better about.

I have my days and nights mixed up once again ... went to bed and started to watch a program around 8pm .. fell asleep and wakened at 1pm and now am WIDE awake !!
I would start baking, but don't want to clang pans etc ..

Looks as though it's raining out .. I have noticed the grass 'popping' around the city .. that shade of green is a welcome change from the white snow.

The $50 million winners are a couple in their mid 50s. They were in Toronto yesterday to pick up their winnings. When interviewed on TV last evening, they said they were still in a state of shock, but, that since they had NEVER had a honeymoon, and their anniversary is April 22, they were going to rectify that :-)

Think Scrabble may be on the menu for me ..

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 2, 2012
11:50 PM

Post #9067731

Hey M - since when are U up at this time of night... well, falling asleep at 8pm and being wide awake now is understandable...
Wow - $50M! boy... do you happen to know them? They could help alot LOL

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 3, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9067883

Susan .. I guess the adage 'early to bed, early to rise' rings true to me LoL
Altho, I did manage to go back to bed .. but .. seems to me THAT is when I have the most vivid dreams ever !! Last night (morning) it was about a Polar Bear in the back yard .. gawd !!!

Betty .. glad you made your way through the hail storm .. awesome family pic too ^_^
Re the border, went across last week to buy a lottery ticket and gas, no purchases .. seems the Canadian side on the way back was more interested in us as we had NO purchases ..

Sun is out for now, looks to be a nice day .. fingers crossed on that ..

^_^

~M~
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

April 3, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9067927

hi all, feeling better about the dog, i was so worried about it 'being the right time'.
although his good moments were still good, i think his bad were worse. and i think he was beginning to hurt. so it was time to say goodbye.
on a happy note...the sun is shining, high should reach 13 today, and my back doesn't hurt toooo much. going to seed some herbs today.
cheers L

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 3, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9067935

Heart goes out to all of you who have aging furries, I'm at that point as well, Sailorgirl not doing the best, gasps for air from time to time, can see how tired she is by her eyes, then I think if you looked in my eyes and saw the pain and tiredness, should I be put down?? So until she can't get up or I see her in pain I'll have her laying by my bedside..she sure knows how to move when the treat box co DS out. Lol

"m" lucky couple..I'm sure they will have lots/lots of honeymoons..

Heavy frost this morning but weatherman says we are in for nice weather for Easter long weekend..

Have the family coming Saturday..wondering with this day of fast foods if it would be terribly wrong of me to order in Chinese..seems I am just not up to it..thing is. If I do that then I'll feel not the best of mom/grandma ..catch 22

I wanted to take a walk through the gardens just to see what is coming up but haven't done so yet..frost might have taken a few casualties.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 3, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9067944

Lindy, sorry you lost your companion, wish more people would think of the dog first!

Sunday when mom and Jim came to my sister's 60 mom said Rambo had a few more attacks, Jim dropped her off and went home to sit with him..now she knows he has cancer n numerous p,aces, cancer treatment costing tens of thousands she puts her feelings ahead of Rocky's..he really should cross over the rainbow bridge..maddening!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 3, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9068188

yes, poor Rambo is definitely in pain, and she's ignoring that for her own needs... that's just selfish!!
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

April 3, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9068225

said Pooh to Piglet " if the day comes that we can't be together, keep me in your heart,
and i'll be there forever"

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 3, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9068234

Lindy - that's a great quote!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 4, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9069573

Super quote Lindy .. I wrote it down, and hopefully will NOT misplace it !!

Had a day of IN TOWN activities planned, but, got a call at 9am saying the fella would be here at 1030 with Lorna's MULE ^_^
Sure enough, he pulled up the driveway at 1032 ..

Here are some pics .. seems like it's going to be a busy summer .. Lorna is sure going to USE this machine ..
In one pic you can see Lilly and Piper in their compound looking at the machine after a barking fit .. they sure did not like it !!!

~M~

PS .. I also included the pic of her taking her test drive at the dealership .. she was SO scared .. but .. it only goes 30MPH max ^_^

Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 4, 2012
11:27 AM

Post #9069706

lol Lorna in her Mule?!?! That's so kewl!!! I'm not surprised that Lilly and Piper were upset - they saw "their" Lorna being eaten by this machine LOL
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 4, 2012
11:34 AM

Post #9069715

Marilyn looks like a good ride for Lorna... 30mph is fast enough. Wonder why the window is at the back and I guess if it only goes 30 mph it's not to keep the driver in the seat! LOL Maybe she will need some well behaved assistants in the passenger seat. Will the dogs get to ride in it?

We are expecting a big storm tonight and then will be down to -8 on the weekend for the lows. G House will be opened next week as -8 is just a bit too cold for the babies.
Will let you all know how the storm goes.
Alberta Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 4, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9069876

Found out this afternoon that I'm very HAPPY it doesn't go fast !! If it went any faster the BUGS would smack ya hard in the face as there is NO windsheild LoL

We were able to do some property clean up today .. lifting up the Evergreens .. lots of branches gone and the knolls they sit on are now visible .. lots of raking to do though, but that Mule will make that easier than pushing a wheelbarrow WAY to the back to dump it ..

No storms here .. sunny and cool breezes .. but .. I am thinking that we MAY get another 'icy surprize' some day.

~M~
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

April 4, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9070145

will be watching the masters...the golf is good, but the course is beautiful !
weather here has been really nice. calling for rain on the week-end. have to remember to pick up chocolate for the kids, [kids= 23 and 25yrs.]
going to look for a lilac, would love one in the back-yard, have to find one that's super fragrant.
nite all L
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 4, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9070319

My advice on lilacs- get one that does not sucker - pretty much all the French hybrids sucker.

Had chemo this morning, so nice that with the pre chemo pills an hour before it takes l hour off my appointment instead of having those 3 drugs IV. But I take the Ativan as it is so relaxing and was pretty wobbley by the time I finished, had to hang onto the railings when I left to go out to the car! Slept several hours when I got home! Today I got the rest of my schedule - all going smoothly my last chemo will be9 May! Of course that won`t be the end of it but at least presumably the end of the chemo and maybe my tast buds will return to normal and I can start to enjoy food again!

Finally got to see one of the world curling games this morning - they are being broadcast in real time so it is usually middle of the night! This was an afternoon game so I saw most of it. Disappointing not to see most of the games.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 4, 2012
8:52 PM

Post #9070325

Carol - will be good to end This round of chemo. Hopefully you'll be able to eat "normally" again.

How's the curling going - who's winning?

I don't really like French lilacs - prefer the ones with the heart-shaped leaves. It's what I grew up with, so most familiar.
The ones I have now (about 40ft tall) are late bloomers, so everyone else's bloom, then it's my lilac's turn lol
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 4, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #9070347

Snowing here!

So far as I know Canada has won all games - this morning they were 8 wins, 0 losses, don't think any other team has that record.Round robin play is finished Thursday, then playoffs start.

When I had the front yard landscaped I had to tear out some very old lilacs , I had some really old ones in back too which were removed. I asked to have two lilac put in a purple ( real 'lilac' shade) and a double white. Did n't know much about lilacs. Two years later I took out the double white as it was already suckering.12 years later the purple has stayed about 6 feet tall, neat and tidy and virtually no suckering of importance.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 4, 2012
9:37 PM

Post #9070350

lucky for you, Carol, that they aren't suckering. When our lilacs were put in (in the '60s I guess), they had a huge berm surrounded by railroad ties, next to our parking pad - no lawn next to it. Guess that's why it's not suckering outside of it. They're suckering within it however - room for several trees - one lilac at each end, and a Mock Orange in the middle. Not much else grows there because the lilacs have taken over. We're trying to prune them so they don't suck all the life out of everything else. Guess the berm is about 18 ft x 4 ft.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 5, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9070572

you've got me hankering to go out and purhase another lilac..know my old tried and true that form the secret garden is getting very woody..was told to cut them to the ground and they would do well but not ready to let the secret garden grow so my thought are to surround outer edge with new lilacs and when they grow enough to form the enclosure will do a number on the old ones

Carol, must be terrible to eat and not taste what you are eating..would give you much of an appetite! Imagine you will be jumping for joy once chemo is completely finished!

Lindy, there was a lot of todo about the Masters on the radio yesterday, believe a woman CEO wanted some part in it and was told they do not include women..not a happy camper..were suggestions that they should move the Masters to include a course that includes women

"M", what a help with ground cleaning, could you not fabricate something for windshield ?

Haven't been feeling the best of late, broke down and asked the family if they would mind if I ordered in Chinese for Saturday meal..also rather than bake all the pies I usually do, pick up ice cream cake??? seemed ok with it so I'm almost doing a happy dance..weather is co-operating, might get the boys to put gazebo top on and take out the furniture..gardens I can handle
lindypuddin
stony mountain, MB
(Zone 3a)

April 5, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9070579

thanks gals..i see the suckering could be a problem..more so 'cause space is limited !
i have the preston lilacs across the front, but they don't have that old lilac smell. the neighbours had a hedge of the double whites... they tore them out to widen their driveway ! made me think of the old joni mitchell song...paved paradise..
picked up the dog's ashes, they came in a ceramic urn, might come up with something else that we can put a picture, his name, and his tags on.
still looking for him when i open the door, it must take awhile for the habits to stop.
anyhoo... 16 today, 19 tomorrow, we're in a good place right now..no snow/no mosquitos
L
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 5, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9070590

Lindy

I make Memory boxes for dogs - let me know if you would like one. They are just papier mache box and I paint them and stencil decorations and dogs name on front with a picture and a poem inside. They are big enough to hold leash and collar and ashes and a small toy.I have round and square boxs and am amenable to suggestions about collar and style. Some pics attached. Let me know.

Betty I would be happy if I could eat.drink and not taste - the problem is I can taste but it all tastes off or bad!

Lindy when I had the old lilacs that suckered I used to clear the suckers out every year or two and they looked fine. but it is a bit of a job You can also have the lilacs cut down to the ground and they will grow up again

Thumbnail by fancyvan

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 5, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9070592

Lindy heres a couple more pics.

Thumbnail by fancyvan   Thumbnail by fancyvan

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 6, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9071618

Love the 'Memory Boxes' Carol, had forgotten you made them.

According to the meterologists here bouts, today will be the BEST day of the long weekend. Was out with the dogs before 7am and there was a HEAVY frost on the ground, now it's bright sunshine, but I guess as the day wears on, and the sun becomes stronger, we'll warm up ..
Have some Easter treats to drop off for the grandkids, then I guess more yard work.

Hope that everyone has a great Easter

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 6, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9071724

Carol, love the memory boxes as well..might be a good project for me before the time comes for Sailorgirl!

"m" today and tomorrow are suppose to be gorgeous days..been waiting for it to warm up so I can get outside and do a few things..
Always nice to have a goal...want top on gazebo on, touch up of 2 patio Matt's, drain the larder pond, sit and see what I could do to incorporate the smaller one so it looks like its draining from the larger pond, that will be a chore. Lol. If I get those things accomplished I will be a happy camper..glad I bought new rubber boots when I was in buffalo last weekend, will need them.

Think we are all gung ho to get our outdoor clean up done..feel badly for you in Calgary not being able to be out in your gardens..

Have family tomorrow so not a lot will get done..Lordy, getting so lazy, went to Dairy Queen and picked up a strawberry blizzard ice cream cake, ordering n Chinese..can life get any lazier than that?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 6, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9072226

ah well Betty - our time will come! You've had a wonderful winter, mostly, haven't you? I remember a weatherman saying that Ontario hardly had winter... just kept on going into Spring lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 6, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9072282

Must go back and read posts..I'm almost sure I was doing pond Easter weekend, perhaps not, could have been mothers day...oh well glad to see it done..if nice tomorrow just might tackle the smaller pond in the am..

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 8, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9073836

Happy Easter everyone...

Sunshine day in my neighborhood although we had heavy frost it is warming up.

Family here but still all sleeping...I've kept quiet up till now but Lordy day is being missed, think I'll sart cooking breakfast then they will have to get up..

Do enjoy your day

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 8, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9074090

HAPPY EASTER everyone !!!

Blustery and cool here, but sunny ... turkey dinner is on the make and soon the house will be uncommonly noisy and full, but, enjoyable (not for the dogs and cat though).

Enjoy your day everyone

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9074148

Happy Easter to Everyone.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 8, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #9074260

Happy Easter to you all!

Have been spending this weekend getting my G house up and running in a test to see if the 0 Temps next week will work for my seedlings and started plants to go out there. It's a much better environment if they don't freeze! With my heated seed mats I can keep them happy with an overnite low of about -3 to -5 but after that its pushing it.

Here is a photo of my Bamfield trip. View from the cafeteria.
Alberta Ann

Thumbnail by annabell52

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 8, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9074273

Beautiful!!

Bet the colors are overwhelming come summer..

Bet you spend a lot of time in the greenhouse, lots of work though..anxious to see photo's

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 8, 2012

Post #9074377

Ann - Bamfield - Where's that?

Well, Easter celebrations are over for another year.
Picked up my friend at 6:10 am and went to the Easter Sunrise Service at 6:30. Afterwards dropped her off and picked up DH and we went to a free breakfast they put on for the 3 churches that attended the Service. Bacon, ham, scrambled eggs, pancakes, OJ, coffee/tea, 4 kinds of fresh fruit. Delish!!
At 10:00 went for choir practice for the service at our Church at 10:30.
Afterwards took another friend and went grocery shopping at WM, then get gas for the car.
Now I have a Pork Loin roast in the slow cooker - guess we're eating at 7:30 pm LOL It's just Bob & I for dinner, but will have leftovers - 4 lbs of pork loin will do for awhile LOL

All this on 1/2 hour sleep last night LOL

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9074811

We had not only Easter but the TENTH birthday of my grandtwins. Where does the time go? Seems like yesterday they were born.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 8, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9074901

wow - 10 yrs old... makes us older too, eh?!?! lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 9, 2012
3:37 AM

Post #9074997

Morning all..dull and cool day ahead..wish I was one of the ones off today, Easter Monday as I would still enjoy!! Great day to fly a kite, high winds...

Exciting day for the twins ViolaAnn! Had my boys here, officially the shortest one in the family..hard to believe they are almost men..13/14/15/16. They grow up far too quickly.

Best I get a move on, gab later
Do enjoy your day!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 9, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9075038

My grandson has his 11th birthday on April 10th, his sister is going to be 14 in July and starts HIGH SCHOOL in the fall !!! No wonder I have a creaky hip LoL

Starting to take after Betty in the headache dept .. I seldom get headaches, but have had one for almost 14 hours. However .. I have been doing MEGA yard work .. and raking pine needles which has made my shoulders and neck tight, ergo .. a headache .. hoping the last 2 tylenol will do the trick ..

Another cool/sunny day here .. may head into the city for some grocery shopping ... or .. not ^_^

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 9, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9075085

"M" next time you are across the border pick up Excedrin Migraine..when I would get my headaches I would have to be given a needle in order to find relief..24 hours sleep and headache was gone..excedrin when you take it you can actually feel the headache lift..

my last headaches were due to high blood pressure so I did not want to mix meds so just suffered...

Hope you find relief ..

Why are we so hard on ourselves..lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 9, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9075103

Moved us over to here...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1251358/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America