What Is This?

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

This is a piece of equipment at a place that used to be a ranch but I don't know what kind of ranch. The thing is about 7 feet tall. Inside the arc there is a brush and it looks like the whole arc may have originally been lined with brushes.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Richmond, TX

Looks like t would make a good cow back-scratcher!

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

As a child I remember my father placing burlap sacks in a doorway where sows came and went this burlap would have a mix of oil and a fly spray on it. That was one way to control flies and other pests that would otherwise burrow into the hide of the animals. Cows would have the same problem, we had a pole with a chain running down to the ground at an angle at the top of the pole was a can which held a dip that when a steer would rub its back on the chain it would get a little of this dip mixture on its back which in turn killed flies and other parasites that would attempt to live off the animal. I think this may just be another version of that oiler. And it looks to be adjustable to fit the size of the animals passing through the gate setup.. I could be wrong but that is my impression

Richmond, TX

That is what I thought too, but what is all the structure on top? For REALLY tall cows?

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Porkpal it looks to me like the pole across the top was meant to hold the two outer poles in position and the inner structure being adjustable they could have used it for horses as well by raising it or lowering it for cattle. I'm still stuck with that being the case, or as the brushes may indicate a back scratcher, Right now I can't think of any other use

Yes, the height of the lower (arched) apparatus can be adjusted. Right now it is at the lowest height, which I'd say would be the right height for adult sheep. I was thinking too that it might be some kind of sheep dip thing.

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Looks like an ingenious homemade unit. don't know tall the whole thing is, so I didn't guess sheep. As for back scratchers or to rub on I remember dragging a dead tree in the cattle yard, it wouldn't take them long to get most all the bark off and still have some of the branch nubs to rub on. it was cheap and it worked. Then when late fall came dad would drag that tree back out by the grove and we would have to cut it for fire wood. that has been 65 to 70 years ago. I was just big enough to almost work one end of a two man saw but I could split the wood ok.

Grand Saline, TX(Zone 7b)

I showed pic to the hubby, he said, it's built like a metal press to form a specific 'half round' shape.
Perhaps bands to go around barrels???

It kind of looks like some kind of press in the picture, but the cross bars aren't made to move. They are bolted in place. They can be moved to higher or lower holes but that would mean taking the thing apart. It looks like there are springs associated with the arch section but it didn't look like it would have a lot of give.

Richmond, TX

For pressing your cows into submission?

Squeezing every drop of milk out of them

Grand Saline, TX(Zone 7b)

LOL

Dh said the cross bars wouldn't need to move, it's the small vertical bar at the top of the arch that would be turned with either with a tool that slipped over the vertical post, or that the vertical bar would have a hole in it for a bar to slip in, to turn it up and down.

He's sending the pic to one of the 'old timers' around here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images