Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Winter Sowing: i have to water my WS containers! how are you all faring ?

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 23, Views: 166
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
6aseeder
Arlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9043630

we have had so little rain & snow that this year i have to water my WS jugs. is anyone else having such a dry spring -- that usually doesnt' have a dry spring? according to NOAA, we are much drier than usual but i see that some folks are wetter than usual.
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/temp-and-precip/maps.php?ts=3&year=2012&month=2&imgs[]=Divisionalprank&submitted=Submit

ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9043775

I just watered all of my jugs yesterday.

Some of my plants are almost ready to be planted in the ground in full sun, so I have the jugs (tops open) in full sun to get them acclimated. Even the jugs in mostly shade are looking dry.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9043914

I just watered mine a couple hours ago, now that you mention it. :) I've got them open as well, even the ones that haven't sprouted yet (I got a late start this year, waiting for the Winter that never came).
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9045078

I 'watered mine' with snow yesterday

Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2012
4:05 AM

Post #9045775

I did water mine a few weeks ago. Now I'm reminded to do it again when I return home from my DD's house.
6aseeder
Arlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9046102

Oberon46, you are REALLY doing winter sowing. were you in an area of AK that is getting a ton of snow? we had nearly no snow, and winter has been eerily warmish. makes me nervous, while at the same time i hope for early spring. hedging my bets with a few early plantings. mustards are going out this weekend, and the pansies, too, if i can get to them.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9046206

Yup. I read we made the national news. 12' of snow. Good news is that the weather was rather mild except for January when we had record lows -- so one month of record lows, and a winter of record snows... hey, it rhymes.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #9078815

"Curiosity killed the cat!" I've been wanting to get one of those mini greenhouses. How did the snow get inside the zipped plastic cover? Or you didn't have it on when it was snowing? I see foot prints in the packed snow..I saw those at Big Lots for under $100 . I have a gardening friend that starts her seeds inside one of those but in peat pots, that sit inside a disposable pan or plastic lid that has water in it so the peat pots keep moist. I don't know where she got her mini GH but I've surely been thinking about getting myself one for use out on my patio..Is this the first year you've used it for WS?

I think it would be great for those WS containers that have been opened up during the day and if temps go down in 30 and 40's during night, you could zip it up and the seedlings would be protected and open it up when weather warms up enough that it is safe, and you can remove the cover. I've been looking for myself an outdoor baker's rack for that patio. I could use it for some small potted plants during the spring and summer and decorate it with other things. I saw a picture where one lady decorated hers with old galvanized watering cans, pine or spruce branches, a metal star, and some other things, so that is in my mind. I printed off a copy of that picture for future reference. Saw a used baker's rack at Habit for resale store for only $25 and we didn't get it and I've kicked myself every since. At that time, I didn't have room to store it over the winter months and when we were there, my truck was at home in garage. I should have paid for it and asked them to hold it but I didn't. I've kicked myself many times over since I saw it.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9078854

This is the first year I used it for WS. Learned after last year's containers got blown around the yard. I have one cold frame that sits directly on the deck as it has no bottom. I have milk jugs in there. I hadn't been using it over the first part of the winter and didn't close it up so it filled with snow. I assembled the upright GH and D cleared a spot for it on the deck. It has four shelves that are must metal grids that can be removed. Keeping stuff moist is a bit of a problem as it gets quite warm in there. When I am done with it for WS I am going to remove the wire shelves and just set two pots in there on the deck. One for a tomato and one for a cucumber. It should stay plenty warm; I will have to be sure to open it each morning or they will cook. Never tried it before but seems like it would work. Oh, I bought the GH from Walmart for $35 maybe 5 years ago. I still see them all around.
PAMSPACE
Temperanceville, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9079540

Wintersowing is supposed to be worryfree, but I too have had to water my milk jugs!..We have gotten some rain lately but not nearly enough. I have a small patio greenhouse, got mine from Lowes for under $40. I had to lubricate one of the zippers but so far it is working great, have had a few really cold nights this past week, so I put some milk jugs with water inside with my tomato starts for passive heat overnight and everyone seems to be doing fine. I have used the patio greenhouses before and always have had good luck with them. When the weather finally warms up you just have to open them during the day. Lowes has one online that has a flap up top for that, but I didn't want to shell out the extra $15.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9079653

I opened the front section on mine as last evening it was pushing over 90 and felt like an oven in there. I only have poppy sprouts thus far - I think the pelleted noctiana is about to pop but not sure. It is green so very deceptive. I am afraid I will cook the seeds before they can germinate. Or kill the already germinated poppies. Tulips are coming up through ice and frozen mud so that is nice. but I really want to see more germination but as long as it stays down in the 30's at night it isn't likely to happen for a while.
6aseeder
Arlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9079962

finally, a bit of rain after ~ 6 weeks of no rain! we generally can expect 3.4 to 4" each month in march & april. this year we have had Mar 1-April 11 just 1.5" . i even lost some pansies i planted out because i didn't think about watering. just not used to it in spring.

i generally just forget about WS jugs but this year i have to check them 2-3x week.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2012
3:00 AM

Post #9080536

I've been having to water all mine about every other day... and trying hard the last few days to remember to keep them covered at night 'cause the nights have been so darned cold! (not sure whether to say "Grrrr", or "Brrrr"!) It's just been really breezy/windy lately, and dry dry dry. Anyone got any rain they want to share this way, please? =)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9080842

Nope, just the occasional snow flake.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2012
3:22 AM

Post #9081822

im having to water mine ...and I think Im seeing failures too...too dry too warm too cold...stilll too dry..we have dust ??? what a strange year...
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9095043

Had a hard rain about a week and a half ago and oversaturated some of my containers so I took the lid off of some, then got hit by 4 days of 70-90 degrees temp and I totally forgot about the containers. The ones with the opened lids got really dry, and many of the covered ones got dry too. Will see how many survives through all that.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9095334

I water mine off an on. We are neither too dry or too wet.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2012
3:14 AM

Post #9095471

I've had the same stuff as huggergirl, too warm, then too cold, too darned dry and more too darned dry, then Saturday night through all day Sunday was non-stop gentle rain. I guess they're not too dry now, but up until Sat. PM I'd been watering about every other day or so. More rain expected over the next couple of days, so I won't be freaking out about watering again for at least a few days. Pheeww!!!
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2012
5:11 AM

Post #9095539

Shoot I need to go ck them...Grrr...LOL...cold and super super windy...Geesh
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9095870

I am assuming we have to have a steady temp of above 40 or so for germination. I still have containers that have not germinated. I really need to move them indoors or I won't have anything to plant from them by May 30. Bachelor buttons included. I moved in some marigolds and they popped within two days. Maybe it is just too cool up here for them to germinate - except for poppies of course.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2012
3:01 AM

Post #9098157

I've got the same problem Mary. So many of my jugs have not germinated yet. Interestingly enough, I've got bachelor buttons sprouting all over the place in my driveway-side bed, they're all about 8" tall or so. Then again, my weather is completely different from yours.

More rain expected today, yippeee!!!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 26, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9098417

I have brought all my containers into the garage. I only have four weeks til planting out time. Poppies are doing well, but most have not germinated. Just one or two in a couple of pots. So I need to see if they are dead or just need a little warmup. It goes down below freezing quite a few nights and down at least to the mid 30's nightly. Just too cold I think.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 27, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9099800

we have had such off on warm cold...I have some germination,but Im thinking failures Now...I wont give up yet..LOL

They might need more steady warmth here too.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 27, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9099817

Undoubtedly. Even though we have had several days of clear skies and the last of the snow is slowly leaving (all flower beds are sow free as of yesterday) it was 28F on the back porch this morning. No wonder little germinated. The pots have been inside for two days now and other than the marigolds going nuts nothing has popped. I am hoping the seed wasn't killed after being outside so long in the cold.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America