2012 Spring HARVEST pictures

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I'd like to start this thread to showcase everybody hard work in their vegetable garden.
It has been spring here in Dallas for at least two weeks ... so I am starting a little earlier.
I love and enjoy to see what y'all will harvest and eat.
The picture below is today harvest in my garden:
Fennel, Kohlrabi and the last radish ...

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Here I have:
Spinach, lettuce, broccoli shoots, fava beans and small onions

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

My dinner yesterday: Fava beans and broccoli shoots + a fennel bulb (not in the picture)

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I am harvesting a FENNEL bulb almost every day and they are getting so large.
My Kohlrabi are starting to bolt. I have just a few left in the garden.
Definitely they like the colder weather ...

I am also harvesting at least a bag of green lettuce everyday ...

This message was edited Mar 21, 2012 7:55 PM

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Today I harvested a basket of Swiss Chard ... yummy ...

Thumbnail by drthor
Ramona, CA(Zone 9b)

Your veggies always look nice drthor. Thanks for sharing.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

You are very welcome TLeaves
I like to have pictures of my harvest, so I can show my DH how much money we are saving on food.
I am so proud that I don't buy any vegetables from the store ...

Looking forward to see everybody else pictures too ...

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

My weekend harvests: lots of FENNEL, FAVA BEANS, BROCCOLI SHOOTS and GREEN ONIONS

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

More Fennel ... and no kitties today !

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Today I harvested the last Kohlrabi bulbs, it is too hot and they are all bolting.
Next year I will not grow the purple variety, it is beautiful, but the bulb stays small.

Also Fava Beans and a huge basket of Swiss Chard.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Guess what will I have for dinner, breakfast and lunch?
Fennel ...
I did harvest all of the bulbs.

Can you see how the bulb is getting longer ? and not wider?
This means that it is starting to flower.

I also harvested Fava Beans and some more lettuce.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

This is the first year I am planting onions.
My friend really pushed me to do it and I am so glad.
I planted the onions 2" apart and I keep harvesting the small onions in order to have 6" in between each onion left.

My question is: how much do I eat out of those "green onions"?
In some recipes they say to use only the white part ... but it seems like a waste to me.

Any help?

Thumbnail by drthor
Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

If the greens are tender enough, they are edible also. Enjoy the harvest.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

That's great ! Thanks

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

You're welcome... Kristi

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Keep harvesting Fava Beans

What is everybody harvesting right now?

Ramona, CA(Zone 9b)

Your fava's look yummy. I got irrigation put in and planted my spring garden this weekend. Nothing to show yet.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

thanks TLeaves
I don't think Fava Beans like the heat.
Right now, the leaves have brown tips and they show signs of suffering and slow production.
I will remove the plants soon.

I will not pull them out. Instead I will cut down 1" below the soil line and leave the roots in the soil.
The Fava Beans roots have little pockets full of nitrogen.
Good luck to you

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I keep harvesting Swiss Chard once a week

Thumbnail by drthor
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

This thread makes me hungry.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Keep watching juhur7 ...Tomatoes and Peppers will be next .... weee
Any harvest from your garden yet?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

leaf lettuce a couple onions, and the spearmints there if I want some. Olny the green leafy things.you know.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

lettuce ,leeks gone to seed, there are little ones, a watermelon start, a tomato start. As you can see mostly only getting started here.

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Good job ... you will soon have some harvest pictures too.

It is interesting that your lettuce is bolting already ... just like mine ... but I think here it is a little warmer than your zone.

My dream will be to have lettuce and tomatoes in the same salad ... and at the same time ...

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well, I kinda goofed, that first photo is the leeks flowering, the second is mucslin,about to start, It got a little frost burned after 20 degrees night before last.

Every once in a while I'll try some buttercrunch or iceberg ,only as I can't grow them any better than I can buy them I rarely do.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

juhur7,
do you know my secret on growing lettuce?
Just THROW the seeds in the soil ... yes ... lettuce seeds need light to germinate.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

That's always a good one! Some of em' "comin up round" the leeks from last years seeds " a blowin round"

Do we put that in our 'lazy gardeners bible" Or do we get to keep it a secret,shhh(lol)

YEAH, I know, those are easy beginners lettuces IT's just nice to have a few vegies that don't require all day attention,KENTUCKY WONDER GREEN BEAN is my favorite that's like that,YOUR'S IS?

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Juhur- there are some wonderful lettuce blends I get mine at rareseed.com. I just mix them in a can with potting soil and toss. It's the wrong time of year to start them now, here. But just toss them and they will grow. These blends you won't find in the store, they taste great.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I'll check in to that! Thank you

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Like Drthor said just toss them, but find one you like first. The blends at the above link all taste incredibly different. I thought lettuce its all the same, but a greens mix is very tasty and they can be grown in a sunny window all year round. They just dont care for the heat.

Burleson, TX

In regards to green onions, I love to pull them out, rinse them and throw almost all in a stir fry or roasting pan. Yum.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Yesterday I did harvest:
my first peppers
radishes seed pods (still tender)
small onions

I will use my peppers this weekend for Etoufee'.
Last night I drizzled with salt, pepper, olive oil and balsamic vinegar the radishes seed pods and the green onions.
I roasted at 400F and added the green onion tops at the end .... OMG BUONISSIMO !

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well here's a couple of green onions fresh from the garden , yummy,

Thumbnail by juhur7
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

My last harvest of Fava Beans and my usual weekly harvest of Swiss Chard (plus always onions)

Gainesville, FL(Zone 8b)

Sample of my first "summer" onion bulbs - Texas Supersweet (yellow) and Southern Belle Hybrid, both short-day varieties from Just Fruits and Exotics. I just had to pull a few early for a dish I was making.

-Rich

This message was edited Apr 24, 2012 11:53 PM

Thumbnail by rjogden
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

My harvest today and also most of my dinner: radish seed pods, radishes, onions and my first tomatoes.
I did harvest more onions ... just because the top seemed to start rotting ... I am letting the onion to dry in a dark room in the house.
My first tomatoes ... yummy ..

I could have waited a little more ... but I am leaving for a long trip and I want to have the first taste of my tomatoes.

I marinated for just 10 minutes the radishes and the pods and the onions with Olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
I roasted them at 400F for 10-15 minutes. Turning them once.
So good !

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I am back in town and start to harvest lots of tomatoes.
Also radishes seed pods, which I will roast.

This message was edited May 11, 2012 12:34 PM

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Cucumbers, garlic (not as much as the previous years ...??? maybe too hot too soon) and onions (which I never grew before)

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor
Grand Saline, TX(Zone 7b)

Looking good, Drthor!
I think you had asked about the difference in elephant and regular garlic. I've been harvesting both and grabbed a quick pic. Elephant is on the left and regular garlic on the right.

This message was edited May 12, 2012 10:46 AM

Thumbnail by cocoa_lulu
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Nice looking garlic, Lynea! I will need to harvest mine this week. Of course, when I decided to harvest my garlic, it rained.

This is today's pea and green bean harvest. The jalapenos are from a couple of days ago. We have about the same amount of peas waiting to be shelled in the fridge. These are the Alaska variety. I still have Wandos setting pods, but not ready to harvest yet.

Tumbles, one of our kitties, decided he needed to investigate each pea pod as my husband was shelling them.

Thumbnail by stephanietx Thumbnail by stephanietx

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.