Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year: Harvesting seed from amaryllis

Communities > Forums > Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year
bookmark
Forum: Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next YearReplies: 5, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CliffBrown
Philadelphia, PA

March 16, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9044851

Great article! Thanks for finally alluminating why all these amaryllis experts insist on forcing dormancy. It must be great having your own personal flower show all winter long. Very inspirational, I'm definately going to get a couple different varities and bring mine outside this year. My amaryllis is the traditional red type and I've been keeping it as an evevergreen houseplant for about nine years. I've found it performs best keeping it very moist; I keep a deep impermiable saucer under it and bottom water it every few days, keeping some amount of water there at all times. It sends its roots into this little 'aquifer', and the soil atop the eight inch pot remains moist to the touch. In general I can expect about two to three stalks a year, bearing three to four blooms each making a nice centerpeice for nearly two months.
The past two years it didn't bloom at all, instead spending its time producing two new bulbs,but its been worth the wait, since all three will bloom this year, five stalks in total with the first about to open. Which brings me to my question (finally! Sorry about the lengthy post.): any chance I will get seed this year? I never have before, which leads me to believe that they only produce sexually, I.e. I need another amaryllis to pollenate it. If these new offspring are exact genetic copies of the mother bulb, could they pollenate her? Anything you could tell me about this would be appreciated, I've always wanted to get seed and see what kind of a flower results.
Thanks so much
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 16, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9045158

Sounds like you have a very happy amaryllis! Although sometimes you'll have one that's just not a good "pod parent" and doesn't set seeds easily, I bet you just haven't seen seeds because the pollen didn't reach the stamen. Sometimes you have to play "bee" and help things along. Amaryllises can be self-fertilized... just dab pollen from the anther onto the stamen.

For more on growing amaryllises from seed, see http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2977/

Good luck & have fun!
CliffBrown
Philadelphia, PA

March 19, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9048539

Yet another great article! Thank you. First flower just began to open- the offset beat the mom to it- and it looks like two flowers somehow knuckled together, but then I havent seen it bloom in a while. No sign of any anthers or stamens; I can hardly wait to start pollinating it.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 19, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9049026

With a few of the doubles I've grown, it's hard to find anthers or stamen in the bloom... they may even be sterile. Is yours a double?
CliffBrown
Philadelphia, PA

March 20, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #9049881

I honestly dont know. In years past i remember seeing anthers and stamens, and four flowers per stalk. This seems to be what the mother bulb is about to do. The offset, however, has just two flowers. The first is fully open now and it much bigger than i expected, about eight inches accross with 4 or 5 layers of petals. I keep trying to post a photo here but Im having some sort of problem. this evening Ill figure out how to add photos to my profile, if you could check it out I'd like to know what you think.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9050588

unusual to get an offset blooming differently than the parent, for sure! Neat. :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Interesting artical terriculture 13 Jan 22, 2008 4:54 PM
in ground LouC 11 Jan 12, 2012 1:45 PM
fertilizer happy_macomb 4 Jan 18, 2008 10:35 PM
amaryllis fergie50 1 Feb 12, 2008 3:41 PM
won't bloom outdoors?! sheersheri 5 May 14, 2008 3:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America