Absolutely guilt-free cookies

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

There is nothing in here you won't feel good about eating. These are not sweet cookies but I sure do enjoy them. I calculated 78cal ea if you make 3 dozen

3 large ripe bananas - well mashed (about 1.5c)
1 tsp vanilla
1/4c coconut oil (barely warm - just so it isn't solid. Could substitute olive oil)
2 c rolled oats
2/3c almond meal
1/3c finely shredded, unsweetened coconut
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
6-7 oz chocolate chips or dark chocolate bar, chopped

(I used high quality dark chocolate and think you could cut that in half if you want to save some $$)

Preheat oven to 350deg, rack in top 1/3

In a large bowl, combine the bananas, vanilla & coconut oil. Set aside. In another bowl, whisk together the oats, almond meal, shredded coconut, cinnamon, salt & baking powder. Ad the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined. Fold in the chocolate. The dough is a bit looser than a standard cookie dough, don't worry. Drop dollops of the dough, each about 2 tsp in size, about an inch apart onto parchment (or silpat) lined baking sheet. Bake for 12-14min. Note: these cookies don't spread out.

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

Tanny, just visited this thread and saw the cookie recipe. I will definitely try these, as I have all the ingredients in the pantry. I also developed a chocolate chip cookie recipe using whole wheat flour and the coconut oil, since I am trying to stick with a clean-eating diet.

Martha

Thumbnail by MShaffer736
Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Martha,

Remember, these cookies are not sweet (if you use milk chocolate chips, that might make them sweeter). So if you want them sweet, you might add a little honey (or agave or whatever you like for sweetener)

Tam

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Tammy. I will use the dark chocolate, but maybe add a little sucanat, so the batter does not get too thin.

Martha

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Don't worry about it being too thin. I used these directions exactly and they came out really nicely.

Tam

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

Tammy, thanks again for a great recipe. I just got around to trying the cookies today, and they are marvelous. I did add 1/2 cup of sucanat to the batter,and they baked fine and are delicious.

Martha

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Whew! I was a little nervous to open the thread for fear that you tried them & didn't like 'em. :-) Now I need to go look up sucanat as I'm not familiar with that.
Tam

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

OH. I've been using date sugar. Sounds kinda like the same idea. But date sugar doesn't work well in many recipes. And is not as sweet as sugar.

Tam

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

Tammy, sucanat is pure dried sugar cane juice. I've been using it for several years, and it works well in recipes. I subsitute it for refined white sugar or regular brown sugar. Again, thanks for the great recipe. My daughter is coming from Virginia today and I plan on sharing the cookies with her.

Martha

This message was edited Mar 30, 2012 8:13 AM

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Do you have other nutritional information on these?

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

I calculated the calories at 78ea when you make 3 dozen from the recipe as-is. I didn't go any more calculations. Did you have a specific nutrient or component that is of interest?

Tam

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.