Photo by Melody

Upper Midwest Gardening: Spring has Sprung in my Zone 5 yard! Anybody else w/ blooms?

Communities > Forums > Upper Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Upper Midwest GardeningReplies: 188, Views: 1,232
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9046357

Hi and Happy Spring(??) to all you Upper Midwesterners!

With this Unusual. . . (make that Wierd, Odd, Strange or whatever description you prefer). . .Weather, my plants don't know how to act. Anyway, I already have Daffodils & Giant Crocus blooming, also Tulips & Hyacinths with buds. I also have assorted perennials starting to come up.

How about the rest of you? Anybody's yard waking up yet?

Below are a few pics. I'll try to take more in the next few days.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Click an image for an enlarged view.

kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

March 17, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9046474

Beautiful photos! The whole country is having warm weather, except for the Pacific NW. We are 10-15 degrees colder than average, and my yard is extremely delayed! (I grew up in northern MN, so I lurk here also in the Midwest forum) Normally, my daffs would be done, and the camellias, and azaleas would be blooming...but not yet. Daffs have just started. Heathers are looking good though.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9047078

Our daffodils are blooming too, I just love them!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9047127

Hi kosk0025 & Welcome!

Thanks for your compliment. Your Heathers are gorgeous! It's funny that you grew up in MN cause I grew up in southern CA & eventually moved north to an area just south of the OR border, though IL has been my home for a very long time.

My husband and I have wonderful, fond memories of Salem, OR. Some of the friendliest people we ever met anywhere in the country.

Many years ago we used to travel all over the U.S. to exhibit at trade shows and fairs. As part of our display of sharpening equipment, we had assorted knives on the table, many of them very expensive custom knives. We had a clear plexiglass "guard" or "fence" surrounding our display for safety and to avoid theft, but didn't want to completely enclose them in a glass case as we were picking them up frequently

On the first night of the fair in Salem, there was a power outage in the exhibit building. The whole place went completely black. At the time there were about 15-20 people looking at our display. In many parts of the country, that would be too temping for unsavory people and theft was a major concern. My husband and I immediately spread our arms over the table the best we could, but it turns out we didn't have to. At the prompting of one of the visiters, this group of total strangers joined hands and leaned in to protect our booth!!

When the lights came back on we thanked everybody profusely, but to this day it's one of the most impressive experiences we've ever run into with people we had never met!

Long story, but one I thought you'd enjoy.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9047133

Hi Chrissy,

We'll probably regret it when they finish up early, but right now it is fun, isn't it?
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9047223

That's a great story about Salem! We love it here---definitely the friendliest place I've ever lived...(actually, probably tied with Ames, Iowa---nice people there, too). We lived in Portland for 8 years, before moving here 4 years ago. Our Portland friends were confused and horrified that we would move to Salem. (Salem is the state capital, but there are also 3 prisons here). But we love it. One of the main reasons we moved was so that I could have some acres for gardening. It is hard for me to imagine not having my yard/garden now.

Pic--pulmonaria (lungwort) just barely starting to bloom. I put these in last year after they had bloomed, so I'm excited to see them.

Thumbnail by kosk0025

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 18, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9047248

All of the spring bulbs here are blooming. Additionally, we've got forsythia and magnolia blooming. Pulmonaria and primulas are blooming with Epimedium flower buds set to open up today. Virginia bluebells are also emerging and should bloom this week with the warm weather we've been having here.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9049266

Nuts... interesting about your custom knife story.
Folders or Fixed?? or a mix of both? recall any of the makers??

with all your travels, how'd you end up in Algonquin??
That used to be so "off the beaten path" but with western expansion... not so much anymore.
~~ I'm out near Ohare.

Since I do not have bulbs [with the exception of lilies] I do not have anything in full bloom,
though my Rhododendrons started opening today.

I have tons of fallen seeds that have germinated... weren't there yesterday,
but today they were... I can tell some are salvias, Morning Glories and Delphiniums
plus lots of weeds i'm sure...

Terese
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 19, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9049322

Terese - rhodies already??? My Northern Lights azaleas haven't leafed out yet but my one and only lilac ('Miss Kim') is opening its leaves. Pulmonaria, bloodroot, Epimediums are blooming. Bleeding hearts are shooting out of the ground.
Wish we would have gotten a little more rain today. Only got about 10 to 15 minutes of light rain but with the warmth, we need more. Maybe tonight.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9049409

we got a lil rain today... i was indoors - so i dont know how long, but by 2pm, when i was done with what i was doing... the sun was coming out.

I hope we get more over night... it's really warm, about 75 still -- lots of "green" in Iowa... hope it swings our way. we are so dry with not much snow this year.
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2012
4:20 AM

Post #9049778

Funny...I grew up in Illinois, now live in Wisc, never gave Algonquin much thought til this week. Looked it up after getting the invite to my nephews wedding (reception is in Algonquin) and now it's a topic here ...just find that interesting!

I got some of my flower beds cleaned up this past weekend, have 3 more to do, but they're not too bad. We also bought all the wood we need for the picket fence we're going to build this summer.

Daffodils are in full bloom, tulips are springing up but no color yet. I can see all sorts of plants trying to break through the mulch, the trees all have buds on them, and I have an odd spot in the yard where I tossed in a bunch of little bulbs whim when I first moved here that are really sprouting up this year little tiny flowers, no clue what they are and wish they were bigger :-)

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9050088

Wow. . . lots of posts since I was here last. I sat down last night after the Bulls game to read some of them and suddenly the power went off. We finally went to bed. . .good thing, too because it apparently stayed off for about 3 hours!

kosk0025 ~ your Pulmonarias are very pretty! Love the colors.

Cindy ~ sounds like your whole yard is blooming! I bet it's beautiful.

tcs1366 ~ I love Rhododendrons and Azaleas. I've been reluctant to plant them because of the acid soil requirement. I'd be interested in hearing from some of you what you do to overcome our illinois alkaline soil.

Your "mystery" germinating seeds sound exciting. Please let us know what all came up when they start to bloom.

As far as the knives go, I'll make it very quick since I don't want to hijack the thread with something so unrelated.

Knives were our business, but we were also collectors, plus my husband was teaching himself to make custom knives. We had a lot of customs, both folders & fixed. . .many different makers. . .some were founding members of the Knifemakers Guild Association and many became friends over time.

Some of our favorite makers were G.W.(George) Stone, Corbet Sigman, Billy Imel, but there were several others as well. Some of the makers have since passed away. A more recent member we're very impressed with is Hiroyuki Sakurai, who we met when he first became a member, as my husband was asked to act as his translator at the Knifemakers Guild show one year in Las Vegas (My husband is fluent in Japanese, another long story). After the show, he sent each of us one of his beautiful custom knives as Thank You gifts!

Neither of us is originally from IL. The first place we lived in IL was Elk Grove Village, so I'm very familiar with Itasca. From there it was Schumburg. We hadn't planned to stay in IL, but eventally it became home. When we were no longer traveling all the time we decided to buy a house. One of the areas we looked at was Algonquin and bought a house here over 10 years ago. We love it here and so do alot of other people, so it's growing by leaps and bounds. I think you'll be surprised at all the beauty here in this area.

We live right along the Fox River Trail which is a walking/bicycling trail that starts at the top of IL and goes to Aurora. We have tons of birds, squirrels, deer, and other critters on our heavily treed property. We also have alot of shade which is challenging as far as what I plant. The only real sun is near the back of our house.

Hopefully that helps to answer some of your questions even though it's pretty abreviated.

To the rest of you, I apologize for the loooong post. From here on, it will be strictly "ON SUBJECT".

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9050200

CindyMzone5 ~
Wow...You already have lots of perennials and flowering shrubs blooming. I'm jealous. One of these days I'll have to find a sunny spot to plant a flowering shrub or two. I'd love to try Azaleas and/or Rhododendrons since they can take more shade, but I'd have to constantly supplement for their acid soil requirements. I am starting to see beginnings of Heucheras/Heucherellas, Aquilegias, Dianthus and some others that Hummers like so hopefully they'll be up & blooming by the time the hummers arrive. Right now I have a couple of very compact Hydrangeas and a small Spiraea that I planted the year before last.

ItsMeChrissy ~
Where in Algonquin is the Wedding/Reception? There are different sections, with most of the building, but not all, going on near Randall Rd.

Randall Rd. continues way South. . .Elgin, St. Charles, and further. The commercial building (Stores, strip malls, etc.) along Randall goes on seemingly forever. Check out Algonquin Commons (an upscale outdoor mall). Most of that area was farms so there aren't as many trees, but the whole area is pretty.

If you get a chance, drive east to the Fox River. We're at least 1/2 mile east of the Fox River because we wanted a larger yard with mature trees. Algonquin is spread out more than most people realize.
Goldenberry
Northeast, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9050332

Nuts, growing rhodos in our climate and clay soil is not a big deal at all. Plant them in a hole amended well with compost and pine bark fines, with the top of the root ball situated slightly above ground level. You feed them in spring to early summer each year with Miracid and/or soil sulfur, two or three times. That's it. I have two beautiful PJM type rhodos that are at least 15 years old and still going strong. Now azaleas on the other hand, I have had no luck with those.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9050352

I have never had luck with Azaleas either.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 20, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9050365

nuts - have you ever had your soil tested? Would it be any different than the rest of IL because you're near the river? Sometimes you can "read" your soil acidity by the wild plants/weeds that grow close to your home. I think in clay soil (which I have too), don't plant rhodies or azaleas too deep. They're shallow rooted plants and prefer it that way. Diluted brewed coffee is another way to help promote acidity. 4 parts water to 1 part brewed coffee. I usually use the leftover morning coffee. Or Espoma makes a fertilizer called Hollytone for acid-lovers - very reputable brand. That's what I usually use to feed the rhodie family as well as my hollies and Hinoki cypress. There are lots of great flowering shrubs for shade so you needn't grow only in sun.
I've been growing the Northern Lights family of azaleas and haven't lost one yet. They're taller and more open in structure but lots of great color.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9051819

Goldenberry & CindyMzone5 ~

You guys have me all excited now!

Goldenberry - What exactly are Pine bark fines?? Is it just finer pine bark mulch? I'm very familiar with Miracid and I know what soil sulpher is, but have never used it. Planting a little high makes sense, especially since we do have lots of clay.

CindyMzone5 - We've never had our soil tested and would probably need to do it all over the yard since our yard is large. I have one long narrow raised bed that my husband built several years ago. He removed most of the soil and added bagged topsoil plus all kinds of ammendments like crushed leaves, compost, etc. It's the nicest bed to work in the whole yard & might be a great location for a first attempt.

I get coffee grounds all spring and summer from Starbucks to add to both my beds & compost bin, plus I save my coffee grounds, filters & all in a plastic bag. When the bag's full I dump it in my compost bin..even in Winter. I like the idea of mixing it with water.

I have also used some of the Espoma products.

Wow. . .Thanks so much!

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 21, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9051991

nuts - your raised bed sounds luscious. I know I should change over to raised beds (at least in some areas) but I'm not ready to dig everything up to do it. I save all of my coffee grounds and filters and even during the winter, I'll hike out to the compost bed to dump them in along with veggie scraps. A lot of the acid is removed from the grounds during brewing. The water ratio is for actual coffee so the ratio of grounds to water might be lower. You might find more specific info on the net.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9052122

Cindy -
The raised bed is nice, but it was alot of work. The clay soil was almost like digging up concrete in some places, plus when this house was originally built they, apparently, threw leftover chunks of concrete and huge rocks out into the back and then just covered it up. Add the roots from our neighbor's Maple tree and I doubt that my husband would want to repeat it too often.

Also, because our yard slopes slightly in two directions, he graded it and built the bed higher towards the back side and angled towards one end so it would be basically level. I don't think I would have had the strength to dig down as deep as he did.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 22, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9052561

My yard slopes quite a bit as well. I think the creek that's near us used to be so much bigger and we're kind of on the former bank of it. My lower garden is 10 ft lower than the rest of yard. I'm always looking for stuff to slow the water running down the hill during rain. If I was younger, I'd probably take the time to build stone terraces but for now, logs and landscape timbers will have to do.
Goldenberry
Northeast, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9052675

Yes, pine 'fines' are just small pine bark bits. I started out sifting pine bark mulch to get the smaller pieces to put in containers and raised beds but it was a lot of work. Home Depot carries pine bark mulch that has pretty small pieces. As long as you don't buy the nuggets, any pine mulch will probably work well.

I have been thinking about going to Starbucks and begging for their coffee grounds. Maybe this weekend! I am making a couple of raised beds and need stuff to fill them.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9052730

Cindy -
We have a teeny, tiny creek in the very back of our yard that sometimes develops after lots of rain very early in the season. We haven't had a problem this year so far and it usually only lasts a couple of days. I suspect there may have been a small creek when this development was built that was filled in. We've considered building a "rain garden", but it gets very dry back there once the weather warms up.

Thanks Goldenberry, I'll have to check Home Depot.

By-the-way, you don't even have to "beg" at Starbucks. Most of them have large baskets sitting out with bags of used grounds. They usually have a big label on them that says "Grounds For Your Garden". Whenever I'm near a Starbucks, I usually go in and grab one or two even if I'm not buying anything that day. Then I Thank them and go on my way. If you catch some of them at the right time you can get alot more. I usually keep a 5-gallon bucket & lid in my trunk during Spring/Summer. Sometimes they'll dump grounds in the bucket for you.

I had to post my first Tulip of the season. Not the greatest pic of a Darwin Red Impression & barely open (Darwins get huge!), but it's March folks!!

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 22, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9053170

Congrats on the first tulip. I have a couple that should open up in another day or so. I don't plant a lot of tulips since they generally decline (for me) over a couple of years.
Indian hawthorn is blooming now as is Viburnum carlesii. Columbine 'Corbett' has a couple of buds - usually the first columbine here to bloom. Wood poppy is also blooming as are bleeding hearts.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9053242

Cindy - I pretty much only grow Darwin Hybrid Tulips. They're very perennial and huge. All the ones I have are from Brent & Becky's and I've had them about 4 years. So far they show no signs of decline.

I have perennials growing, but nothing anywhere near blooming, like yours.
cynical_76
Whitmore Lake, MI
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9053313

I have daffodils, and in Ann Arbor the flower trees are gangbusters!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 22, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9053394

DD is down from Holland, MI and was mentioning the weeping cherry trees blooming up there. Here, the redbud is now blooming as well as a dogwood.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2012
4:27 AM

Post #9058750

Blooms abounding here...Crazy

Heliabore,1st ever bloom,and Rockcress

Thumbnail by huggergirl   Thumbnail by huggergirl

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9058819

Beautiful pics, huggergirl!

I've been wanting to get some Hellebore for my "mostly shady" yard. What variety is the one in the photo?
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 27, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9058860

I agree with Nuts - we want to know about your hellebore, Hugger. Kinda looks like a double.
Currently blooming - bleeding hearts, Pulmonaria, flowering almond, primrose, Epimedium, Hepatica, Indian hawthorn finishing up, Virginia bluebells. Woodland phlox getting ready to bloom and Trilliums are just starting to open up.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9058991

Amazing! You guys have so many plants blooming already.

Aside from lots of bulbs, the only perennial that has started to bloom in my yard is my Brunnera "Jack Frost". A few plants have started getting tiny buds, but most of them haven't even started thinking about blooming yet.

By-the-way, I recently read in the Chicago Tribune that the USDA has changed (or is about to) the Zones slightly.
As an example, I'm in Zone 5a & It might be changed to 5b, but I have microclimates all over my yard & up near the back of my house, everything tends to bloom earlier.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9059004

Here's a pic of my Brunnera. It's still really tiny. Last year it grew a bit more before it started blooming & eventually got pretty large even though it was only in it's 2nd year. I really love this plant!

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 27, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9059497

Yep, Brunnera are blooming here. Mine are small since it's still early but blooming. Seems to me that a lot of plants are flowering while they're still emerging. Virginia bluebells came up with flower buds ready to open once they cleared the ground.
I never knew if I was 5A or 5B because of the little microclimates here. Now I'm 5B. DD in Holland, MI is 6B.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9060067

Is anyone else having ttrouble loosing posts ??? Ive lost several lately ??? very Irritating,to say the least...ugghh

It only happens with photos ???

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2012
5:09 AM

Post #9060074

Got that one ... seems to me try to load more than 1 photo at a time ,I get tossed...???

Here goes again, Thanks for the spell ck...Hellebore...LOL...I ve never had all these blooming at the same time ever ...LOVING IT...

The back ofthe garage trying to get it filled in ...getting there

Thumbnail by huggergirl

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 28, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9060218

Lovin' the photos.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9060294

Beautiful!!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9060332

OK - hugger - I'm going to try to load several pics to see if there's a problem on the site. Wish me luck!

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

cynical_76
Whitmore Lake, MI
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9061069

Check out the view from my office! Ann Arbor has beautiful trees, of course :)

Thumbnail by cynical_76

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9061487

Im a high speed dialupper...I have a great connection ,but Ive never had this much trouble...ever...??? I have new modem too..

Got these at walmart...Daffodil `Tete-a-Tete`Lil cuties they are,and only 6-8 iches tall

This message was edited Mar 29, 2012 7:14 AM

Thumbnail by huggergirl

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 29, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9061595

Ach! Astilbe flower buds are coming up! Touch of frost on the roof of the house across the street and I know one or two nights this next week will be dicey in terms of frost/freeze. I wonder how much cold the new oak leaves can take. DD when in TN had a late, hard frost/freeze after their normal warm spring and the trees lost so many leaves that didn't regrow the rest of the year.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9062869

thats what Im worried about too...This is just weird ...I have a huge bleeding heart,well its up only 8inches and its bloomimg already...as its emerging ??? many others too /??
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 30, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9062957

Bleeding heart has been blooming for about a week now. I would really like to see some rain here. Only got sprinkles here with the front moving through but need more. I really don't want to be watering in March! Crabapples just started blooming here and I have a couple of small, short azaleas getting ready to open up but the taller Northern LIghts normally bloom a little later.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9063007

That's a lovely view, cynical_76!

Huggergirl - Sorry you're having problems with uploading pics. Maybe you should add a post or new thread to the DG forum about technical issues to see if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.

Your new daffodils are really pretty. I have some 'Tete-a-Tete' growing in one of my beds. They really are cute. I just love them!

Cindy & hugger - I've been concerned about early blooming (and trees with leaves) just like you. I guess we'll have to see what happens. I expect there will also be lots of "gardeners-in-a-hurry" that will plant annuals, veggies, etc. and then be really upset if we have a frost that kills them.

We had some rain overnight and we might have thunderstorms today.

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 30, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9063648

Oh no! Lilacs are starting to bloom here. Supposed to get down to 36 here (or maybe that's Chicago).
nuts - so far I've been able to restrain myself from deviating from a "normal" weather schedule. Might have a hard time of it though come mid-April if it's still so warm. Only got a little rain this morning. Hoping for more tomorrow night.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9063799

We are expected 38f, and chicago is generally a few degrees warmer than we are out west. [i'm about 30 miles west of the lake]

we too have lilacs in bloom all over. My Rhod's are done, daffs and tulips are still up. i dont have any but all my neighbors do. lots of trees i bloom.

I checked our 10day forecast... lowest temp is 39 [next week] after tonight.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 31, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9064175

Yeah - I saw another chilly night next week. Seems like we'll be going through the next month holding our breath. And I'm still cleaning up last fall's leaves in the lower garden. In a normal year, I'd be ahead of schedule this year but I can't stay ahead of emerging plants.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9064180

I wonder if you are colder because you are closer / down wind of the lake.
It does not look like we are getting that cold... yea, upper 30s is cold compared to what we had for 2 weeks... but certainly not frost warnings. YAY.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 31, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9064466

No frost warnings but when they're predicting upper 30's, I do get nervous since the prediction is for a week away and can change by the time we get there. So much of the weather forecast is for Chicago and suburbs and NW IN is not always taken into consideration. I see rain in the forecast but it mainly falls in IL. All that rain that Chicago got last year mostly missed us. The effect of the lake I suppose.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9064474

Yeah, kinda chilly but great weather for the onions, garlic ,spinach, lettuce, and other greens
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

March 31, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9064756

I'm kinda new to veggies this year (other than growing a couple of tomatoes). Thinking about sowing some snow peas and maybe lettuce (which I've been growing indoors the past couple of months).

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9064915

Lettuce improves with light frost if grown outdoors, lots of different kinds to choose from. Best of luck and enjoy their fun, grew some production type iceberg a few seasons ago had to keep it in the shade to finish.Have some easy leaf growing but it's really not as good to me as far as taste.Have also grown buttercrunch and it was smaller mostly and only a few were the way they were suppose to be,and those were delicious.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 1, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9065311

My fav lettuce is Romaine but I am making an attempt to come to terms with the softer leaf lettuces. However, I'm not sure if we're out of the woods yet with freezes. I did get good results indoors with 'Tango' and 'Asian Red' so that's probably what I'll plant outdoors if I can find the space. I am going shopping for a couple of trellises today so that I can start the peas soon.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9065903

I havn't grown peas here/ the few times I tried became a fail, too hot to dry usually.Might somtime in a self watering container in the future.I'm more of a Bean lover,they take any weather require no care, almost none anyway,always produce lots beans,and I don't have to pay any attention to them.You can tell I'm a real attentive gardener(lol) I'm tryingCHARIENTAIS melons on a trellis this year,tried that with a few small pumpkins some time ago it went O.K. Han't planted much for a couple of days,a few annuals,a couple of giant sunflowers that sort of thing.Somewhat colder where you are, I remember a few cold summer nights in northern Indiana.The lake wind is biiterly cold when it gets going.Only as it is everyone seems to say that to you.I imagine after the peas come a few of those flowers you mentioned,Wont be long now,green spring has arrived.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 1, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9065913

Our average last frost date is 5/15 - 5/20 in a "normal" year so the most I'll be planting out is some snow peas this week. I am going to try zucchini and yellow squash this year for the first time and on trellises since my square footage for veggies is really small. Ripped out some perennials last year to make room but couldn't give up on all of them. Yeah, the wind coming off the lake in March is no fun, especially when you can smell the steel mills. :)

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9067072

Here are a few of my flowers. Hope you enjoy them.

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 2, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9067385

Oh my! What is the first one? It's beautiful!
Peas have been planted! First time for me.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9067572

I believe that one is named somthing like purple majesty.We gave them to mom a few years ago for Mothers Day.Thought those were a pretty fringe tulip, mom agreed and we planted them a while after.I'm not sure of the name and the garden marker might still be in the ground with them.If it is,I'll post it later.Good luck with the peas!
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9067651

Ribes, red flowering currant 'King Edwards'

Thumbnail by kosk0025

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9068339

its really hard fighting the urge to get the garden planted, Im gonna plant my tomato`s a little early and use milk jugs over them...Maybe ...LOl..There will be a lot of people planting too soon.. : ( Now Im finding things are growing soo much I dont want to split anything up,and its soo warm,they wilt out...Loving the weather for me tho...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9068513

The tulips are' muave purple' something,not able to read the last ,it's an old marker.
Was using the old can method with the baggies over them,it's a lot less hassle with the plants planted were they are to grow.I stopped saying that to people after a few replies of 'you mean you still eat food from a can'. I'm finding 80 degrees as today a bit to warm
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9069164

kosk0025 wrote:Ribes, red flowering currant 'King Edwards'

I love this but Im not Familiar with it ...a plant or Tree
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 4, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9069283

Ribes is kind of a shrubby tree. The flower pendants are about an inch and a half long, so my pic above is very macro. Once they are done blooming, they just blend into the background. But they attract a lot of birds with the currants, so that is a bonus. It's one that native lovers in Oregon encourage people to plant for a bird friendly habitat. The 'King Edwards' is not the native version. I have many of the natives also---they are not blooming yet, and are far less showy than the King Edwards version. I'm hoping these Edwards get to be 8 feet tall eventually. So far, they are around 3 and 1/2 to 4 feet tall.

Thumbnail by kosk0025

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9069348

So many blooms around here way ahead of schedule. My Tulips and most of my Daffodils are pretty much finished already!

Cindy, I don't have Lilacs, but many of the ones around me have also started blooming.

tcs1366 - We're usually even cooler than where you are (more snow, too), but the nights have stayed above freezing and I'd be surprised if we have a freeze at this point...(Of course now that I've said that it will probably snow tomorrow just to prove me wrong). My husband unplugged the heated birdbath over a week ago and none of our birdbaths have had any ice in the morning.

Love the pics, juhur7! I agree with Cindy that the blooms on the first one are Special.

Congrats on the peas, Cindy! I brought home a Rosemary plant yesterday, but that's as far as I've gotten. I was going to try some Winter Sowing this past Winter, but never got to it. I even washed & saved a bunch of gallon milk jugs. Oh well, maybe next year. But at this rate we may have blooms year 'round eventually.

kosk0025 - Your 'Ribes' are stunning! The fact that they bring in the birds is even better.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9069585

I love the pics everyone, the flowers are great,especially when winters are drab!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9069874

freeze warnings for Thurs into Friday. great

think i have a lot of sheets for covering plants. the potted ones i'll drag into my sun room.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 4, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9069900

Crumbs! I saw a "34" temp in our forecast for next Tuesday. Don't know if there are enough leaves out on the trees to create a bit of a microclimate in my yard. It works in the fall before the leaves come down. Too much up and growing now to consider sheets. I'll just have to take any cold "lumps" I get. I haven't been brave enough to put out any tender plants but will probably bring in the potted herbs. At least the cooler weather has slowed things up a bit which is good. All the bulbs are done except for Camassia. Still haven't had any rain. Just doesn't seem right to drag the sprinkler out in April.
nuts - Was also going to do winter sowing but didn't count on the early warm spring so it's growing lights for me. I did notice that my fav Delphinium tricorne has finally self-seeded. I had no success with that one with collected seed. Are you going to plant your rosemary in the ground? I keep mine in a pot so that I can bring it indoors in the winter since I don't think it will survive. I was brave enough to plant oregano and sage in the ground. And have one struggling French tarragon that I'm going to commit to in-ground planting since it's never been happy in a pot.
My 'Miss Kim' lilac is very disappointing this year. I was very diligent about pruning it right after it bloomed last year and am getting rewarded with 3 lonely flower sprays this year. I've been disappointed with it from the beginning though since no way does it smell like the common lilacs regardless of the PR.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9069936

Oh,bummer! next wed.and thur. here to with the freeze warnings from Indy north .I knew it was coming only coud'nt resist.So I guess buckets, pots, covered with some earth and mulch over the cans and baggies it is.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9070324

Cindy - I plant my herbs in fairly big pots so I can locate them in a sunny part of my yard. If they don't survive the Winter, I usually just buy more in Spring, although I might try moving the pots to the garage or shed this Autumn. I've had very good luck in pots with most of the herbs I've grown and I've even had French Tarragon survive all Winter and start growing again in Spring.

I'd love to grow some herbs indoors in Winter, but I don't have very deep windowsills so they end up sitting on the floor in front of the patio door. You might try buying one new French Tarragon and putting it in a large pot. I like that I can put the pots wherever I want (like right near the patio door for easy snipping).
Sorry to hear about your 'Miss Kim'.

I haven't planted anything too tender yet so I may just take a chance with my perennials if we get a freeze. I guess I'll decide when the time comes. I have bunches of gallon plastic milk jugs that i've been saving for Winter sowing, but some of my perennials are already too big for that. Hopefully any freeze would be short-lived.

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9070491

I knew it was going to happen...accckkk,I have not planted any tenders...I have sheets too...
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 5, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9070830

I too knew the cold would come back to bite us. No tender plants out yet but I will bring my potted herbs indoors. Going to be in MI for the weekend and the perennials will have to fend for themselves.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9070887

Covering,climatis and hydrangas tonight

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9070923

My jackmanii is too huge, i could never cover it.

I'm hoping they are over guestimating on the temps. I have one hosta tucked on the south side of my house, it should stay warm enough there. one is in a large pot on the patio... i'll stick that in the sun room.

I'll corral my WS containers and drape a flannel sheet over them.
[I did notice some of my MANY amaranthus's have already keeled over.]

thank heavens the Rhodes are done blooming -- they usually get nipped in this late freeze.

It is forecasted for 2 nights of cold temps. hope that is it.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9071164

Covered tomatoes and a new bamboo shoot from seed.I have four brand new clematis this year that grew from seeds from my older one, I built a trellis for them tuesday past in the middle of the yard.It looks a little odd.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9071249

Well, good luck to all of you (me included) in the freeze areas. Hope all your plants come through OK.

I decided to take a chance and "let nature take it's course" (in other words, I'm lazy).

The only thing I did was to bring in my Hummingbird feeders. We haven't had any Hummers yet, anyways. I put them in the garage and I'll hang them up again as soon as it warms up a bit tomorrow.

G'nite!
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9071617

well I covered my jackmani ,only to see the sheet had blown partly off,and it got bit...it was crispy this am... : ... (

We will see ...I was going to trim my mums back yesterday an thought nope...wait till they get frosted,then trim them back in a few weeks...as they need it already...??? boy a weird year..

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9071627

I can see mine thru the kitchen window... it looks fine.
the back patio thermometer is reading about 30, but weather.com says 33. But all my clematis's are in the sun already.

Peeked at the hosta i tucked on the south side, it looks fine too.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 6, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9071706

I did notice very light frost on the roof across the street but the house is in a more open position. A lot of the oaks here are still in flower so maybe the new leaves will be okay. Leaves on the wild serviceberry however look a little wilty. So far everything looks ok here. DH insisted on covering my Hydrangea 'Tardiva' since this is the first year that it didn't lose the tip buds over winter. Darned thing has never bloomed for me so hoping the mild winter will turn the tide. I think it's supposed to be a couple of degrees warmer here tonight. We do have another burst of chilly night time temps next week.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9071732

Well, hugger, tcs & Cindy - From the sound of it you guys may have faired well. I sure hope so. I haven't checked all my plants yet, but from what I can see out the window, they look fine.

My barometer is two birdbaths near the house. One is heated, but we removed the cord a couple of weeks ago since all I have to do if there's a light freeze is pour in some warm water. There was only a thin layer of ice on top with water underneath so that was easy to take care of. The sun is shining brightly and the lawn doesn't even have any frost on it.

The temp was supposed to go down to 27, but If it did I doubt it lasted long.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9071741

I just got back in from my 'walkabout'

everything looks fine. no damage whatsoever.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 6, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9071877

tcs - Glad to hear everything made it unscathed. We unplugged our birdbath a few weeks ago as well but it's empty since we haven't gotten any rain.
Based on the way the oaks are blooming, I think they're going to make up for the negligible acorn production over the past couple of years. I have never noticed the oaks and maples blooming as much as I have this year. Maybe because my eyes are always focused on the ground. :)
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9071891

That's great to hear, tcs!

Cindy, the trees around here are also going like crazy, although a few are right on schedule (like our River Birch trees)...weird. I have to put fresh water daily in our birdbaths. The birds and squirrels use them constantly and sometimes the deer, as well.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9071915

A few blooms to ya'all. Do the little dandelions behind the tulips count?

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9072023

Very pretty, juhur7...Thank You!! Don't worry about the dandelions. They're everywhere!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9072181

YOUR WELCOME,I think I've heard every lawnmower and tiller for a few blocks running today,People love that 60 degree weather to do thier work outside.
The flower got there by mistake (wrong button),These are a few vegie pics from last week,they look the same after last night's frost.
Will you be doing a summer bloom thread in a few months or so? As it will or would be nice to see what everyone has blooming.I was so looking forward to spring ,now it seems all I can think of is I''ll be glad when the cold weather goes away.Guess I ought not to have complained about it being 80 last week.

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9072279

The first clover bloom of the season.
Well, since dandelions count(lol)

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9072829

sounds like we are in for cooler weather next week...should I say Normal temps...LOL..
Got a harder frost last night..Covered the Important stuff..Climatis ,doing ok..Others we will see

at least its cooler I need to dig and split for the plant sale..I need to move a few things too,or want to...LOL
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9073090

Wow, juhur7, looks like your garden is really popping!

If no one else starts a thread on Summer Blooms, why don't you start one? I kind of have a feeling, though, with this strange weather that Spring is going to run into Summer before we even realize it (or did we already have Summer last week??)

Hugger - After two nights of light freezing, it appears I have had a little damage. The tips of some of my Astilbes have wilted, two very young Hydrangeas now have brown leaves and a couple of my Heucheras have wilted blooms. I'm hoping the new growth takes care of the damage.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9073100

nutsaboutnature; I would probably wait till the seond week of june to start one .by then I'm sure someone will have started one.
The gardens looking better this year than some previous, The plants always look so good in all the pics no matter where their at and that always astounds me. My eyes seem to miss something!

huggergirl' I have never seen frost bother a clematis, not as sure as I might be but I believe they could grow to the north pole.I have a red and blue growing here and four new red? ones that came from seeds of the older red,pretty plant. Everyone always comments about the one trellising up the front porch.
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9073542

Oh my gosh - spent the whole day in my garden and it was WONDERFUL!

Thumbnail by sherriseden   Thumbnail by sherriseden   Thumbnail by sherriseden   Thumbnail by sherriseden   Thumbnail by sherriseden

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9073579

Sherri - Your garden looks fantastic! What kind of plant is that in the first pic? I love the colors. Your Brunnera is huge. Mine is still pretty tiny, but it's already blooming.

Did you have any freeze damage? I didn't seem to after the first night, but two nights in a row affected several of my perennials. Oh well. . .that's Mother Nature.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9073934

I too spent the whole day outside,got a ton done. It was a beautiful day..

Thumbnail by huggergirl

sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9073953

nutsaboutnature, that's epimedium - can't remember the variety, but they are all wonderful. They're one of the few that actually seem to like dry shade. This is one of two planted in a strange spot that is extremely rooty and dry. A few other things that seem to do OK there are wild geranium, columbines, and the brunnera - but I water the brunnera. They all seem to find their way around the roots. Thanks for the compliment!

Hugger, your garden - as always - looks like paradise!
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9075150

Thank you Sherri,I know your`s are beautiful too...This Spring has been Helpful so early on..

Thumbnail by huggergirl

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 9, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9075161

hugger - I do like the way you've planted among all of the rock and it's really colorful.
sherri - love the pics.
juhur - I am tempted to move some of seedlings outdoors but might wait another day or two due to nighttime temps here. Another brush with frost tonight.
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9075230

Beautiful photos, everyone! I pruned this eugenia myself yesterday. Here are the before and after pics. It 's not perfect, but I'm mostly happy with it. I tried to cut off new growth for this year. But it will probably need a haircut after the new growth finishes this year. I've been meaning to do this for a few years now. When we moved in 5 years ago, it was a perfect spiral. This is the before pic.

Thumbnail by kosk0025

kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9075237

Here is the 'After' pic. I feel like there are one too many spirals. But oh well. At least I didn't have to pay someone else to do it!

Thumbnail by kosk0025

kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9075242

Thanks for letting me lurk, and post by the way. Pacific NW forum has been extremely quiet lately. I guess a lot of members dropped out due to some weird controversies in the forum that occurred before I joined DG last year.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9075596

the goldfinches have returned, They ate my sunflower sprouting!!
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9076044

Thanks for the info sherri! I particularly like that it thrives in dry shade...my kind of plant. And You're Welcome, by-the-way.
I have some Biokovo Geraniums (the leaves smell like apple blossoms!) and several types of columbines. They don't seem to care too much whether the soil is good or bad.

Hugger - I absolutely agree with sherri and Cindy...I love the way you've intermixed rocks and plants on the slope in your garden...stunning!

Kosk - Your pruning skills are great! I'd probably be afraid to try such an involved shape. That's a shame about the Pacific NW forum, but you're always welcome here.

Juhur - Congrats on the Goldfinches! We have them year 'round, but we have alot more starting in Spring. I love to watch them go from their winter colors to the bright Summer ones. They kind of look like "patchwork" quilts for a while.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9076281

my "mini iris' " up here in zone 4 are blooming.

not sure 'what' they are -- a gal from DG offered a bunch of bulbs a few yrs ago... they are a deep purple, and only about 4-6" high.

i'll try to get a photo tomorrow.
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9076286

Kosk - I think it has the exact right number of spirals. It's beautiful! You're talented and brave - most of us would shy away from trying something like that!
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9076299

Kosk, I don't remember any controversies here, but there have been some pretty insane threads on the Trees and Shrubs forum (that still make me chuckle!) Hey, you're welcome here anytime. We're just a tad envious of your steady coolish temps and RAIN!! : ) So what were the controversies? (If you can share . . . )
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9076346

Thx, Sherri. Like I said, it all preceded me. May have been political. And it sounded like things got unfriendly on private Dmails. There was also a thread there when I joined DG, that started with sort of an offensive line---something about guns, and basically if your skin was too thin, then you should steer clear of the thread. Kind of weird. I think all parties involved are gone now, but unfortunately it seems only a few remain to discuss what we all care about: plants!!! We have such an ideal climate here for year round gardening, that I am surprised there aren't more NW members on Daves garden. Waiting and hoping though!
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9076371

Well, as I said, you are always welcome here, but I do hope the forum picks up for the sake of our NW neighbors. Such a wonderful region for gardening!
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9076404

Thanks! Beautiful weather the last few days. Still with lots of spring bulbs blooming! yellow + purple = my favorite color combo in the garden (along with crimson red + purple)

Thumbnail by kosk0025

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 10, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9076855

kosk - some of my favorite color combinations as well!
Azaleas here should be open in another day or two. The cooler weather is making things a little more hesitant to bloom (finally!) and we do have a freeze warning for tonight.
Hardy geraniums are blooming here, Virginia bluebells having been in bloom for a few weeks are quickly fading, Astilbes have already been sending up flower stalks but not close to blooming yet, roses have lots of buds, money plant (Lunaria) is blooming but on much shorter plants than normal, woods poppy has been blooming for a couple of weeks. Sorry, folks, but I'm not one endowed with enough patience to go around snapping photos.
cynical_76
Whitmore Lake, MI
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9077043

Kosk - as a University of Michigan alum, I have to heartily approve of your color combo in the pic :) The Gardeners at U of M have these flowers going right now in those colors, of course. Thanks for sharing!
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 10, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9077112

lol, Cynical! Well, I'm a University of Minnesota alum, and this is my U of MN plant in bloom right now. (And I was actually thinking that when I took the picture on Sunday---that these colors are so maroon and gold) Pulsatilla, pasque flower, I bought these last week.

Thumbnail by kosk0025

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2012
4:50 AM

Post #9078024

thanks all...I have more than a few rocks ...Its 32 TON...3 triaxle loads..I started out using plastic under the rock,then I stopped using it. Soo now I have plants popping out of all the cracks..I Love it...You cant hardly see the rocks anymore...LOL

Kosk,love that Pasque Flower,Keep posting on the NW forum you will find more people to chat with,about plants and not other issues...Ive seen that happen before ? And Ive been snubbed before,I just move on...Ive found soo many others that are a Ball to Chat with...And No politics and no snubbing..

My oldest brother is going to be moving to Blain Washington sometime ??? They already own a home there. On a sad note they will be leaving Denver,Cherry Creek...Sooo Gorgous...
And My nephew lives in Cresent city Califonia,cant wait to go out for a visit...Soon

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9086452

Here's a couple of clematis just starting to bloom.

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9088650

juhur, Beautiful,love any Climatis...

Ive got one ready to open anytime...maybe today...Yay

Tons of everything blooming ...

Thumbnail by huggergirl

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9088774

Pretty Tam... can't wait til my bleeding heart is that big. mine is blooming, but its quite small.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9089904

Thanks I had 2 ...bought one to replace it tho...Herre is my white one ,not nearly as big as normal ??Its soo pretty ...didnt think Id like white ??? wahhttt...LOL

Thumbnail by huggergirl

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 20, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9090190

I really like my white bleeding hearts. Have them mixed in with the standard pink ones.
Have been away in TN for a week and find that the cooler weather has slowed down some blooms but that's just fine with me. First azaleas started opening up last week and the Northern Lights started just a couple of days ago. My Clematis have had buds on them for the past few weeks but between the really dry weather (no rain for a couple of weeks) and the cooler temps, they've held off opening up.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9090582

Oooh. . .Pretty pictures everyone! Love the color of that Pulsatilla.

Those of you growing Bleeding Heart...about how long would it take to have one as big as the one in hugger's pic? Every year I say I'm going to plant some in my mostly shady yard, and then I forget about it, but I just love them.

We've had lots of rain in the last week. The plants are grateful.

Maybe I'll take a few pics tomorrow. It's pretty dreary-looking outside today.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2012
4:15 AM

Post #9091212

well I see I still cant load more than 1 photo at a time...I get thrown off ???? Loose my whole post ???? GRRRR...

Bleeding hearts I got those at walmart,in the bag...LOL...2 growing seasons and they were gorgous

Ahhh blooms finally...have had this for 3 years finally moved it to where its happy

Thumbnail by huggergirl

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9091403

Thanks hugger!! Maybe I'll still try to plant some this Spring so they can be blooming by next year. I've read they go dormant & completely disappear after they bloom.

Sorry for your computer woes. Computers are just MADDENING! We're having our own computer problems right now so I really sympathize with you.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2012

Post #9091677

It's interesting that while the early Spring (plus some freezes) has caused damage to some plants, it has brightened colors on others.

I've noticed my red-colored Heucheras/Heucherellas are brighter along with some other plants. Also, I now have a few Summer blooms starting to open in super-sunny areas.

Following pics:
1) Salvia 'Eveline' (Bees, Butterflies & Hummers all LOVE these blooms) - last year was it's first full year & blooms lasted till frost. This year has really spread out.

2) Polemonium 'Stairway to Heaven' (Jacob's Ladder) - just planted last Spring. Very pretty blend of variegated Green, Cream & Pinkish-purple.

3) Heuchera (either 'Smoky Rose' or 'Silver Veil' ...not sure which) - new last Spring

4) Heuchera 'Georgia Peach' (gets huge leaves)

5) Heucherella 'Stoplight' (gets very vibrant as it grows)

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature   Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 21, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9091905

nuts - There are a couple of different species for bleeding hearts. There's D. spectabilis and D. eximia. I think it's the latter that holds onto it's foliage longer but you'd have to double check on that one. My neighbor has one that does through out occasional blooms beyond spring and it's in full sun. I've never gotten them to rebloom although some gardeners do say it's possible.
I was just noticing last week that there's a big difference in plants this year. The yellow/chartreuse foliage is wayyyy brighter and the purple foliage is way darker. And the plants seem a lot stronger, especially the iris foliage. I think it might be due to more sunlight this spring and not as much rain. Usually spring is cloudier and wetter for me than it has been this year. 'Georgia Peach' is a real orange knockout this year with its foliage. Caryopteris 'Sunshine Blue' and Centaurea 'Gold Buillon' foliage practically glows in the dark.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9092338

LUV the foliage and flowers, here;s the clematis bloomed out some more.

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2012

Post #9092585

Juhur,that is huge I love it...

I too have noticed deeper color or brighter...Love it...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #9092754

Once again, love all the pics ,everbody, cool foliage loves, to brightening everything up.

huggergirl; Enjoy yours also, the blue brightens it all that's for sure, here's one with a cooler darker look.

nutsaboutnature ;love that 'jacobs ladder' and the 'georgia peach' I don't think I've seen those before.

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2012
4:57 AM

Post #9093867

The photo I posted of my climatis , Is now I think even deeper pink,has been real chilly nights .
Juhur,love the color of the last post...My Jackmanni and a noid are growing gangbusters..
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9094110

The clematis looks awesome!

Here is my spring slope. Lithodora, aubrieta, creeping phlox.

Thumbnail by kosk0025

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #9094255

Well I like that garden path! I don't have anything like that cool, woodsy, for summer cooling effect.Phlox are native here,mine are not doing well,maybe another year or two.

Frosted last night,lightly though,no problem with the vegies so far.42degrees currently NW wind 15MPH .Kinda breezy only nice with the sunshine. Suppose to frost again tonght, only maybe though.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 23, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9094432

Beautiful colors, kosk.
A little breezy and chilly here. Hoping to work outside tomorrow when it's a bit warmer and I don't have to dress in layers.
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9095130

Just a plain ol' white lilac . . . but absolutely iridescent in this evening's sunlight.

Thumbnail by sherriseden

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 24, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9095727

Lilacs are one of my favorites. Your's is a beaut! Do they smell like the common lilac?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9095906

Is there ',A PLAIN OLD LILAC" When it's yours and blooing?

Great photo ,nice nice lilac!!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 24, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9096227

You're right about my choice of words. Not many people plant the common lilac Syringa vulgaris but it has the best lilac fragrance. 'Miss Kim' is a big disappointment here.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9096248

Your right about "choice of words" haven't seen many lilacs that were blooing myself.

Best to and your blooms,happy lilac hunting!
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9096513

It's a common one, but a cultivar - S. vulgaris "Miss Wilmott". I had to get it because Wilmott is so close to my maiden name, Wilmoth - such an unusual name, I figured it was meant to be! Cindy, I agree - the S. vulgaris are definitely the best in fragrance. Juhur, whether lilacs bloom or bloo, they're wonderful! ; )
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9097003

LOL...I love the Old fasioned Lilacs...and I have None ??? Hmmm...might have to fix that...

Kosk,love that colorful area, I love rockcress...
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 25, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9097062

So what's the opinion on the fragrance from that gorgeous white lilac?
Astilbes here are putting up flower stems and Weigela blooms are getting ready to open . It's supposed to be cooler so maybe that'll delay the blooms a bit. Otherwise, I won't have a heck of a lot left to flower in May/June. Since I have a shady garden, most of my stuff blooms in spring. It's still pretty dry here. Had a day of light rain last week but it didn't have a lasting effect since we were pretty dry to begin with. Hoping to get some more rain today. I'm getting kinda worried that we're going to have a dry summer.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9097245

Cindy - I've seen several types of Bleeding Hearts in catalogs. I love the look of D. spectabilis even though it doesn't last long, but I'd also like to plant some 'Fernleaf' Bleeding Heart (not sure what species it is). It's very pretty and is supposed to bloom all Summer.

Interesting that you've been so dry in your area since we've had a fair amount of rain. Although some of it has been very light, we've also had a few thunder showers.

Juhur - Love the Clematis!
My 'Georgia Peach' has gotten even brighter since taking the pics and the 'Jacobs Ladder' is starting to bloom. The small blooms are a lovely "Periwinkle Blue" (kind of blue-lavender).

Kosk - Love your garden!

Sherriseden - Beautiful Lilac! I think white can really brighten up a yard, particularly in areas that are far away or darker.

Cindy - I wish my Astilbes were putting up blooms, but most of mine were damaged with our many frosts and I didn't feel like running around with sheets to cover everything. Hopefully some of the affected plants will start to recover as it gets a little warmer.

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 25, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9097664

nuts - the fern-leaf type should be D. eximia. That must be what neighbor has since I've seen it blooming in summer. I don't have any but may have to rectify that. :)
I didn't cover the Astilbes but I think because the trees had leafed out enough that I had a bit of a microclimate thing going on. The only things I've been covering is a collection of potted perennials and Hydrangea 'Tardiva' that made it through our winter without losing a single leaf bud (a minor miracle). Hoping that will finally bloom for me after 15 years.
sherriseden
Des Plaines, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9097887

Cindy, re: opinion on fragrance from the "common" white lilac? In my humble opinion . . . exquisite.

P.S. Would love to grow astilbe. Alas, they hate my yard. : (
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 26, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9098206

Im finally having luck with Astilbes,They like water...I have them in a shade bed that is very moist all the time ,That seemed to be the ticket...Hellebore likes it too
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 26, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9098339

I'm discovering that Astilbe can tolerate some sun as long as they have some extra water. In the shade, they can tolerate a little drier conditions but still like some water occasionally.
Only got a few sprinkles of rain yesterday. Next hope is tomorrow night. Poor DH is trying to start some grass seed in some bare spots but that means watering by hand every day.
Good to hear that the white lilac smells divine. It is a pretty thing.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #9098667

My alaska daisies and some native lupines are starting to bloom.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 26, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9099106

Lupines! Wish I could grow them. I'm in oak shade with one sunny bed (well, at least after 11 am) that's jammed with sun-lovers and veggies.
My foxglove are absolutely huge this year! Have never had them get so big. I followed the advice of the DGer last year who recommended cutting the flower stalks before they go to seed. She mulches her's but I didn't and our mild winter was kind to them. I've also got some columbine getting ready to bloom on 2 ft stems which is really bizarre for me. Everything is eye-popping this year. My little columbine 'Corbett' must have 20 blooms on it as well - phenomenal! Maybe it's getting ready to croak since they're not known for longevity.
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 26, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9099268

Sounds awesome. I have literally thousands (not kidding) foxgloves coming up in my yard this year. I guess I didn't deadhead before they went to seed last year. They are all of the 'Camelot' series. I also started around 150 additional in the greenhouse this year ('Candy Mountain' and more 'Camelot'). I love them. I especially love getting volunteers that are in completely different beds than the parent plants. Both Camelot and candy bloom their first and second year, so that's a bonus.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 27, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9099741

Kosk,Ive got a bunch of camelot ws`d, I too love them ,im still trying to find which bed they really like ..

cindy , Ive got a bumper crop of columbine,Harlow,deep purple ,and the tall red and yellow...I sow seed every year,meaning I buy packets of the ones I like and go out and throw them around my field stones...LOL..Its working..I bought a Harlow and it died last year,so I got seed...Instead...took them 2 years to bloom,thats why I sow them every year,also they are not long lived,where I water a bit.

I have the eeniest lupine growing...LOL..I need to sow more of those seeds again,try and try again...texas bluebells a good one to maybe try,they look really similar to Lupines...samefamily maybe ??

Thumbnail by huggergirl

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 27, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9099759

Wow - thousands of foxglove. Do you end up having to edit some out? But what fun to have that abundance. Downside to cutting back the spent flower stalk to turn them into "perennials" is no volunteers. I do have an area where I'll plant some this year that I'll just let self-sow. I generally start some from seed every year. The last couple of years I've done only white ones (they stand out in my shade) but I should be able to harvest some 'Pam's Split' seeds this year. I also love the peach ones.
hugger - I bet your columbine love it among the stones. My hardiest columbine are the ones that have self-sown in some gravel steps. I have 3 or 4 different colors, all on the left side of the steps. Quite the unplanned display. Some are colors/types that I didn't plant but then columbine are known to be quite promiscuous so it's always fun to see what the flower colors will be. In other areas, I plant specific types either by leaf color or flower color.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 27, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9099792

Cindy ,cudos ,for color coordnating...Im trying to do more of that,but Im soo not a planner...LOL..I cant wait till all the columbines start blooming ,they are just about to really start popping...I need to ID my deep purple ones...They are the best reseeders...I have 2 gallon jugs full of Camelot foxgloves,but thet are still eenie...Ive never seen a white one..Beautiful Id bet...just 1 of the red an yellows

Thumbnail by huggergirl

kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9099818

That columbine is AMAZING!

Yes, I need to edit them---b/c yes, as I say thousands, only a few at present will turn into full grown plants...it is amazing how densely they self sow...in 12 square inches there are probably 100 babies. (and to think that these things cost $3.49 each at my local nursery and something like $8 each in catalogs!) I will not have a field of foxgloves...probably will end up with at most 200 dispersed among 5 different beds, and that is including the 150 from my greenhouse. My understanding is that if you let your foxglove go to seed, that it will not return the following year. However, all of my parent plants are returning quite large---my guess is that they will bloom early and then perhaps die instead of blooming a second time in August, as they did their first year.

They are very easy to gently dig up and move to other beds when you thin them, but I am just running out of time with everything else I have to do.

I also love lupines----people who love foxgloves almost always also love lupines it seems. The common lupines in our gardens are lupinus polyphyllus. The texas bluebonnets are Lupinus texensis. In my experience of starting seeds indoors, I would say that lupines are by far the easiest perennials to start from seed. I started some texas bluebonnets this year...excited about them. Will probably transplant this weekend. I hope they self sow for me!

Pics are from last year. Should see these blooms in about a month.

Thumbnail by kosk0025   Thumbnail by kosk0025

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 27, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9100285

kosk - I've always loved the TX bluebonnets. Good luck!
hugger - is the red/yellow Aquilegia canadensis? I've had the least luck with that one (aside from A. atrata which I couldn't get to germinate). I'd get a couple of plants going and then lose them before collecting the seed. Have never been able to get them to naturalize.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9100433

Love the pics and convo, after it rains a few days I'll try a pic or 2. (if there's anything remaining) Weather...you know...
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9100924

Kosk,where do you have your Lupines planted whats the soil conditons like ? That might help me... ; }

Thumbnail by huggergirl

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9100931

Juhur,I know,its been soo crummy..I live 70 miles north of you...

Hoping the peonies dont get bit,too many to cover

Thumbnail by huggergirl

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 28, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9101067

Finally got some light rain overnight. Was dreading having to drag out the hose and water. Looks like we have rain in the forecast for all of next week.
hugger - loving the steps and bordering beds.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9102192

Cindy ,We too got some much needed rain,still dry ,but a little is better than none...

Thumbnail by huggergirl

kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9102355

Huggergirl---your garden scenes are AMAZING! I love what you have done with your sloped yard. Gardening on a hill/slope can be quite a challenge, and I love what you have done. I also like all of the treasures you have tucked in amongst the stones. How old are your peonies?

In one pic I noticed a HUGE pile of mulch with a wheelbarrow parked on it...glad to know I'm not the only one with enormous piles to still move. I did 15 wheelbarrows full yesterday, to the furthest corner of the property...Uff da, I don't know how I'm going to get the rest moved. I promised my husband that next year I wouldn't get any more piles. This is our third year of moving gigantic piles of compost. Bc of all the rain our soil becomes clay unless you amend it heavily with compost every other year. It is exhausting work, bc I generally try to dig it in.

My lupines thrive in full sun or partial shade. My soil is acidic, tending more towards clay. Lupines grow wild in our Cascade mountains like crazy. In my yard, they look great until around mid July, and then they have probs with powdery mildew and aphids really like them in August. I'm trying to pretreat them this year with a Bayer product this year to see if that reduces those problems.

Pic---Iberis in bloom. Red azalea peaking in back.

Thumbnail by kosk0025

kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9102356

Love that kitty, too!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

April 29, 2012

Post #9102547

kosk - can fully sympathize with you on digging the mulch into clay. Sounds like we have very similar growing conditions. It does get better - really!
I did hear an interesting bit on a podcast. I've always resisted adding perlite to my garden soil as I didn't want the little white bits showing - didn't "fit" my picture of dark, loamy soil (that I'm never going to have anyway). But I heard that it can really work wonders in clay. I'm thinking of giving it a try in one of most clayey beds and see what happens. Not the cheapest soil amendment but might be worth a try. I've also tried spot composting - burying veggie scraps right into the soil - and that seems to have helped as well. I dug about 8 to 12 inches down. Add some coffee grounds to really attract the worms and the composting process goes pretty quick and the worms do some work for you.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9103532

Kosk,my peonies are OLD...LOL...when my parents put pool in they dug up a ton ,I took them all...In 1978...Ive moved them once ,but just 2 feet to the north,away from the driveway a bit farther..Ive never shared any of them ?? Going to start splitting them an sharing ...also I m going to plant some in other spots out here ?? what was I... Not thinking ?? I cant understand why ive never planted any of them any where else out here ?? FUNNY ODD...LOL...

My mulch pile is not nearly as big now...DH moved a ton with the tractor cart,only a small amount at a time,this hill prevents us from loading it too full..We only have a small garden tractor mower,putting too much in can Push you right down the hill...wheee...or You cant get up the hill if its too full.Ive moved several wheel barrow loads in the last few days...I feel it today..LOL..I too suffer from Clay soil,Ive been using hardwood mulch for ever,the cheap stuff,really has helped,I ve added tons of peat,compost,shredded leaves,you name it Ive added it...

Ive kinda been adding Perlite too...after Im done starting my flats under lights,any failed WS`d jugs or flats I save all the seed starting mix,which I make out of Peat and perlite,Then I usually have a spot that needs amending,I dump it there to work in...

Miss Kitty was enjoying a roll on the walk

Thumbnail by huggergirl

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9104092

I'm enjoying this thread, here's from a few days ago. love the flowers,been trying to keep my vegies growing mostly.

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2012
5:40 AM

Post #9105173

I bought Lupine seed...Those are beautiful...

Thumbnail by huggergirl

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2012
11:34 AM

Post #9105744

love the iris also. had that cultivar only after three or four years our's died ,darn. Still have some wild natural and "black midnight or "midnight" hybrids though. Be back with those afterwhile.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 1, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9106161

First roses picked today. Waaaay early.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2012
4:24 AM

Post #9106769

Juhur...remind me and I will share...I have a few colors..anyone else want to do an Iris trade later..I need yellow...and everyother color...LOL
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 2, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9106897

Has anyone noticed if new growth is any weaker than normal due to our mild winter/early heat wave? The rose canes and even Hydrangea stems seem thinner, longer and weaker than normal or I'm just imagining things.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 2, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9107362

Made a swing around my place.
#1 We have a circle drive. This bed is in the middle of the circle.
#2 This is SW corner of the house.
#3 SE corner of the house.
#4 Newer bed along the driveway.
#5 Picture taken from south side of large bed.

This message was edited May 2, 2012 1:24 PM

Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 2, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #9107365

More.
#1 Special Hosta bed. Many from other Dave Garden members, traded at Round Up's.
#2 Water feature in large bed. Hope to finish it this summer. Little cupid is door prize from RU.
#3 More plants from DG people.
#4 Hosta path, goes around to the right.
#5 Large bed from north side.

This message was edited May 2, 2012 1:30 PM

Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 2, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9107368

And more.
#1 Row of Asiatic Lillies.
#2 Iris bed from East.
#3 Iris bed from west.

This message was edited May 2, 2012 1:31 PM

Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens   Thumbnail by CountryGardens

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 2, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9107587

Nice! Looks like you stay busy all growing season.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9107588

very nice Bernie!!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 2, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9107668

I cheated a little bit. I am not able to get down to do weeding & cleaning, etc, so I hired a pro gardener for this summer. Sarah is my helper. She graduated with a BS in horticulture from U of Minnesota. She does a great job!
Only spent about 3 days on all the beds. The best part is she knows the plants & don't tear ouit good ones like a guy did last year. (Fired him on the spot!)

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9107838

I have another DG friend who is not so lucky...she likes her gardener, but he can't always tell the difference between a weed and a prized plant.

** forgot to add

I forgot... how many acres do you have?? and how many are your personal gardens?
I recall you have hoop houses and the sort...

This message was edited May 2, 2012 8:49 PM

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 2, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9107920

5 acres of veggies. 3 hoop houses. 1 greenhouse for starting plants. All in pictures are for personal pleasure.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9108433

Gorgeous pics, everyone!! DG members are sooooo creative. Gives me so many ideas.

Had to go out of town for a funeral. I can't believe all the posts since I left. Can't believe all the WEEDS, either!!

Our neighbor has one of those Maple trees with the "helicopter" seeds that are all over our yard. They clog up the gutters and downspouts as well. Sometimes the squirrels will eat bunches of them, actually run all over the yard eating them as fast as they can, but other times they just ignore them...picky eaters, those guys.

Cindy - The perlite idea sounds interesting, but like you said, it's not the cheapest ammendment. And as far as weak growth...Some of my plants do look weaker or unhealthier, while others look like they're on steroids...go figure.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9111563

Here's some blue flag, and a 'midnght' iris.

huggergirl: Will file the reminder
I believe I still have one of the blue,similar to yours ,thought I had lost them all.Nice suprise one that was moved is still here!

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 5, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9111567

nuts - yeah, seeing the same mix on plant strength here. Some have really appreciated the extra sun we've had this spring and other just grew too fast for their own good.
m2ec
Whitehall, WI
(Zone 4a)

May 19, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9129467

one of the peonies bloomed this morning, and the azalea is full-on COLOR!

Thumbnail by m2ec   Thumbnail by m2ec

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9129501

m2ec - Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! The colors on both your Peonies and Azaleas are simply stunning!

My gardening is very limited right now. I had hand surgery a week ago and even though it was very minor, I'm still quite limited. I'll be able to do a little more when the stitches come out next Tuesday, but I'll still have to be very careful for awhile.

Meantime, the weeds are growing everywhere, it's hard to do any deadheading and digging or planting anything new is out of the question. My husband has been so incredibly helpful with all sorts of tasks, but he has very little time as it is so I hate to pile on more projects.

Oh well, this has already been a strange growing season and like Cindy and I both mentioned in previous posts, many plants aren't looking too good, anyway.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9129539

I had one those a couple of years ago ,they used staples instead stitches ,that's all real fun stuff isn't it(lol) . Only I think I could pass on any more,how about you.

Best with your recovery.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #9129611

Thanks for your kind wishes, juhur7. Yeah, you're right...real fun stuff. I'm relatively ambidextrous, but it doesn't do much good for things requiring two hands. Amazing how much we take for granted.

That's OK, my biggest garden project will be in Autumn and I'll be fine by then although I'm dreading it. I've been wanting to completely dig up a couple of my beds to remove the bulbs and move them somewhere else.

I love them, but the Daffodils have really spread. The foliage takes so long to die back that some of my perennials finish blooming while practically covered in Daffodil foliage. I thought planting perennials was supposed to hide the dying foliage, but it seems to be the other way around. Live and learn.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 20, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9130570

I try every year to be soooo patient with the daffodil foliage. I usually cave by Memorial Day and cut it down. While in some settings the upright green foliage makes a nice texture contrast, it can overwhelm other perennials coming into flower. My excuse this year for cutting back the daff foliage will be that they did get an extra month of growing. Think that'll work on my conscience?
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2012
11:47 AM

Post #9130714

Cindy, I like your thinking about the extra month. Unfortunately some of my Daffodil foliage is still bright green. There's an area in my Sunniest bed where the foliage just started fading some in the last two days...we had high 80's yesterday and today's supposed to reach 90!! Like you, though, I usually reach a point where I can't stand it any more and it hasn't seemed to hurt the growth at all.

Some of my plants that normally thrive in all conditions are struggling this year. Some are favorites of the hummers, bees and butterflies so I really look forward to the blooms. For example, I have two different types of Monarda and the growth this year is thin. Also, something has been eating one of them.

I think as soon as my hand gets better I'm going to plant a bunch of annuals to make up for it. Also, it's so dry right now that I have to do some watering and once Summer gets here we have water restrictions (or even before Summer if it stays dry). Hopefully I can get my rain barrel full.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 21, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9131529

I spend a lot of time tying off daff and narsissus foilage,I part them and tie twice,square knot...I know Im crazy...it works to lower the foilage,to be able to plant annuals closer..Makes for neat and tidy...It helps anyway..

Thumbnail by huggergirl

kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2012

Post #9131637

Hugger---that is a really great idea. You should submit that with your photo as a reader tip to a magazine like "Fine Gardening." It is sure to be published.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 21, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9132041

I've always read that tying or braiding the foliage could harm the blooms for the next season and all the "experts" recommend against it. Those same experts also say to never cut the foliage down early, but It seems I'm not the only one who eventually cuts it down out of frustration.

My bulbs don't seem to suffer by my slight "infringement" and I bet huggergirl's have been just fine as well since her garden always looks beautiful.

I respect all the knowledge out there and try to use it to guide me, but I don't have 200 acres or a perfect lot...so I sometimes plant Sun plants in part shade, dry plants in moist areas, almost everything in clay-based soil AND I tend to cut down my daffodil foliage a little early.

I'll probably never have the perfect garden, but that's okay.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9132250

My bulbs all got walked on during a window replacement,the house comes first. They'll be back though.

Here's a few blooms going currently, the daisies have been blooming for weeks.

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

May 21, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9132279

Some of the little bulb foliage is dying back on its own - like crocuses. I figure if the foliage is flopping over on the ground, it's close enough to being time to cut it all down. Last week's heat was intense but we did get some rain last night so that'll help a lot of my plants. I was going to have to water if it hadn't rained. I did keep one bed watered though since we cut some trees down late last summer, putting a lot of plants into full afternoon sun for the first time. No late afternoon respite from the sun. Roses are blooming like crazy, foxglove stems are 5 ft tall.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9132311

Here's a few more, a blanket flower and rose yarrow. Tried to pic the peonie and tall yellow violets only they didnt take.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9132346

Yep I'm going pic happy. Remember that clematis I guess it doesn't know what a bloom season is, it's still blooming like crazy. Guess I must've done something right, like leaving it alone(lol),

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9134740

Juhur, I LOVE Begonias...beautiful all of them

nuts,I ve never read or heard that about tying off bulb foilage ??? I`ve been doing it for years ,has not ever effected the blooms...Hmmmm...I`ll still be tying them off...LOL

Mee too,planting shade lovers in too much sun and sun lovers in too much shade,in crummy clay soil...LIVE And LEARN...Trial and error...fly by the seat of my pants...LOL

Thumbnail by huggergirl

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9135403

huggergirl; Thank you,, Love the grasses myself, nice cooling effect on hot summer days, I have a little blue love grass plant that started a few weeks ago and some blue oat grass, that's a larger version of your fescue . That blue shining color is a difficult for mine to get ,as they like it drier than where I put them.
Still waiting to see if my oat grass grows or not. Shaping up to be a dry enough year that the grasses should really shine being drought tolerant.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2013
10:27 PM

Post #9484296

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1307416/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America