Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 17, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9046391

This is the second one of these I've seen. Is this from my araucana? The other eggs are from silkies. Silkies eggs are fairly small, but this one is tiny. It is not blue or green either as you can see.

Thumbnail by Light_for_Jesus
Click the image for an enlarged view.

catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9046418

Have your hens just begun to lay? I get these occasionally (and I save them), and usually seem to be from new-to-laying hens. And probably a silky, as my guess...
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 17, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9046796

I have had some of those; they never had a yolk. Sort of an oops egg.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 17, 2012
8:46 PM

Post #9046822

Yes, you are both probably right. I've never seen the little araucana in there at all. She sleeps in the garage not in the coop with the silkies. I was trying to think, and it must be the new white hen I bought not long ago. The rooster and hen were both fairly young. He is just now starting to mature. He eats like a horse too, I've never had one eat that much. It is probably the little white hen. All the others are older, and probably not them.

While I'm on here you might also be interested to know I paid $13 for a small square bale of hay here last week for my donkey. Large round bales are going for $165. Can you believe that? Thank God we are starting to get some rain again. Maybe things will get better.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 17, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #9046852

Yep, sounds like hay prices around here too.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 17, 2012
9:24 PM

Post #9046854

I asked where they shipped the hay in from, and laughed when the man said Arizona. I said, "Arizona? I thought Arizona was mostly desert". He said, "Yes, but they also have irrigated fields that grow hay".

catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9047040

We had prices like that several years ago. I had to re-home most of my cows. I was heartbroken, as I was well aware the "rehoming" (despite assurances otherwise) most probably meant the big steers, at least, were quickly butchered. Imagine my relief when the man who bought the boys came by the other day, wanting to buy another. Told us how well the two are doing as a carriage team. He wanted another to train for single carriage pulling. Whew!!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 18, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9047055

How cool!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9047431

so nice to find out they are bring cared for
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 19, 2012
9:46 AM

Post #9048734

I used to get those Tiny eggies every Spring from My Serama "Chickopea". I saved them in a tiny jar. I havent had any of my other Hens produce these miniature eggs. Chickopea wasnt that old the first time she laid one.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 19, 2012
9:28 PM

Post #9049657

Guess I can post this here though it has nothing whatever to do with the eggs. Can I say this? I am in Ft Worth and just bought chickens from a lady in Paradise, Tx. Oh I am so excited. She even sold me a Show Girl. She thinks it is a show girl rooster. It doesn't have much of a crest, but is still a show girl. lol I have a little baby white pullet and a black baby rooster, and five pullets, four black and a white, that are about four months old. Now all I have to do is look around here, keep them alive and drive home tomorrow or the next day. I just can't leave yet. I hardly ever get out of my area, and I want to take advantage of it. Was just thinking I will really need to pay special attention to the babies.

It is pouring rain and I am inside a mickydees, where I never go, typing this. The highway was just too dangerous to stay on. So here I am writing to you special DGers. :)
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

March 20, 2012
4:01 AM

Post #9049770

So excited for you!Take pictures when you get home.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9049980

Thanks Greene. You guys are so special.

Hey, I just realized these two babies may need to be under a light. Have totally forgotten how old/big they need to be before they don't need a light.

I'll take a pic and see what you think.

It rained here all night. I have the babies inside the motel room and the others are in the trunk of my car.

This little baby pullet is so precious. I can't let her die for sure. I'll get my camera out of the car now and see what you think.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9050106

I have cut up a ripe pear and put it in the babies cage. The others are eating leftovers from a salad bar. I need to make sure they all drink every few hours for sure. Other than that, I am still puzzled if the baby white is ok without heat. I think she probably is, but would like some reassurance or caution from you ladies. ASAP please. Guess I'll be checking in all day. No idea really where I am or where I'm going. I can see the Motel 6 on the map but no clue where any shopping malls or are anything else. What does one do in Ft Worth?
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

March 20, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9050143

You can get chick starter at walmart if you can`t find anyplalce elseYou did not say how old the babies are.They do need heat if they don`t have feathers yet.If you can1t do it electric way,put some very warm water in soda bottles and wrap them in paper towels and put them in a box with your chicks,and keep changing the water to keep it warm.Just a thought.And the pullets don`t want to be in to much heat,don`t know how hot it is there.Just make sure they have lots of water.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 20, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9050373

Thanks Green those are some good ideas I would never have thought of. Not sure the temp here but it rained all night, but today the dog was panting in the car. Have my grandson's little dog with me. So, the hens are probably getting hot in the trunk. I keep stopping and letting air in there.

This public connection doesn't seem to let me post the pics. Been so long since I've had babies, I have forgotten. I am guessing the baby girl is about a month old. She is up eating pears, so she seems good.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9051279

Exhaust fumes can sometimes get into car trunks. I'd put them in the passenger compartment as birds are very sensitive to stuff like that..
I'd also suggest that you start a new thread for this, you'll get better response if people know you're looking for advice :).
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

March 21, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9051918

I was also thinking that the tail pipe goes back there and the heat from that could really heat the trunk up a lot.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2012
10:39 PM

Post #9052292

Thanks for the help.

I am home finally and so glad to be here. Except for the pullet I bought that was already injured they are all doing fine. The 97 Cadillac that belonged to my mother before she passed away, I guess is pretty safe from exhaust fumes. Even though it is old, it is still a good car. It has 85K miles on it, and so far, no problems. I'm blessed to have it. The chickens are all fine. I kept giving them grapes and tomatoes, and bought some chicken scratch at a Tractor Supply I happened to be driving by.

Not sure what other people do, but in Ft Worth I just wander around lost, wondering what town I'm in now, and going from one MickyDee's to another to get free wifi. Wasn't too exciting. It was a change, but I can't keep up with that kind of pace. Makes me tired, but I least I observed a bit of what goes on down there. Too hectic for me. Give me my junky horse lot and donkey and a few roosters.

Anyway, we all made it home. Everybody is doing great except the hen that can't stand up. She is eating and drinking, but sitting with her feet sticking straight out in front of her. I'll call the vet tomorrow and see if he thinks he can do anything for her. The lady said that she jumped up and hit her head real hard on the top of the cage and had been acting strangely. She didn't want to sell her to me, but she has such a fabulous crest I asked for her anyway. It would be nice if she lives. It is encouraging that she is drinking and eating. Maybe she'll make it.

Thanks for being here for me to talk to. I appreciate it.

green04735
Bridgewater, ME

March 22, 2012
3:48 AM

Post #9052359

Does she stand up at all?Thats how my rooster handsome looked when he sat down,his feet stuck out in front of him.

Thumbnail by green04735
Click the image for an enlarged view.

catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9052461

Glad you all made it home safely. I have the same concerns as green seems to, that it's not a head injury at all. It may be Marek's. In truth, whatever it is, your only option may be supportive care. I had a little roo like that, but he couldn't even sit up. I found a way to keep him upright, and, long story short, today he appears to be fine. As long as she eats and drinks, there's hope.

I still think you should start a new thread, so you can get the experts in on this...:)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America