Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Poultry and Livestock: Question about passing on a human virus to a chicken

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 4, Views: 21
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

March 17, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9046443

I have a cold and cough,and a chicken person told me today that I had better wear a mask whilte in with my chickens beacuse they could get it and it could wipe out my entire flock.I did google it and it said no to the cold or flu human virus.Has anyone ever heard this before?Please don`t laugh!
tamberlin
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9046588

The folks we bought our coop from said that their son had infected their chickens with the flu and they'd all died. Don't have any actual true facts... just the story. Might want to use a mask just to be safe, unless you can get someone else to do the food and water until you are better...
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

March 17, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9046601

I have often wondered about that too. Also they might could make you worse breathing in the dirty dust and other airborne particle. I only use a mask when changing out the bedding in the coop
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 17, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9046791

I don't think human respiratory viruses can be a threat to chickens. - I agree about the dust though.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9054343

The vet said our toy poodle had a flu virus once, and had caught it from a friend of ours. They had the very same symptoms. Might depend on the particular virus and how it might mutate. ?? Just guessing.

Well, gee, if you think further about it, those viruses that go around each year they claim start in China from the ducks they eat there. So, according to medical scientists, who frequently lie, lol, but anyway, they claim we get those flu viruses from the ducks.

I would assume from that, that it is possible that human flu viruses might affect birds as well. I wouldn't totally discount it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America