Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Begonias: begonias ordered

Communities > Forums > Begonias
bookmark
Forum: BegoniasReplies: 3, Views: 127
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Flicker
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

March 17, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9046577

I have 5 new plants coming. Tea Rose, Honeysuckle, Madame Coulat, Irene Nuss, and Good'N'Plenty. Some begonias seem to do well in summer heat, others hate it. Any suggestions or info about these plants?
Johanna
DoGooder
Hopkinton, MA
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9053957

Flicker,

I don't have any experience growing those types of begonias. I've only grown the fibrous rooted wax begonias and trailing begonias (Million Kissses). What I can say is that both types thrive with any fertilizer I use.

The Million Kisses grew 2 1/2 feet in one season but it barely bloomed until I added a few spoons of greensand to the soil surface. It was growing indoors next to an opaque curtain facing bright NW sun. It required water every two days.

The wax begonias also liked to be watered every few days but in winter (zone 5b) the outdoor ones died and the indoor ones lost most of their leaves and had few flowers. In midwinter I applied a tablespoon of Jobe's Organic All Purpose Granular Fertilizer to the top of the soil which reinvigorated them dramatically. The leaves became much larger, the plants without flowers started flowering again, and the substance of the plant increased substantially so instead of a few dying stems there was a mass of greenery (see attached photograph). I later added Miracle-Gro, hydrogen peroxide, humic acid, and white vinegar to the regimen but it was the Jobe's that caused the major change.

DoGooder

Thumbnail by DoGooder
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Flicker
Covington, LA
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9079090

Very interesting information! I will look for the granular Jobe's. We see lots of their fruit tree spikes down here.
My canes perk up when they get Superthrive and More Bloom-especially in the extreme heat. The leaves and flowers both have deeper color and stand up at attention.
Is the photo Million Kisses? Very pretty-I will look for it. Trailing begonias are beautiful.
My mature canes did well under lights last winter. They bloomed, but the flowers were faded colors compared to the bright pink and red flowers of summer.
All of the plants that I ordered look good. I have them in small terracotta pots with promix and turface. They are outside in bright indirect sun. The hottest that we've had is 83* so far.
This promises to be a very hot summer.
Johanna
DoGooder
Hopkinton, MA
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9079618

Flicker,

The previous photo I had attached is Bada Boom Begonia semperflorens 'Rose Bi Color.' They are pink in strong light and white in low light. The full name of the Million Kisses begonia is Million Kisses Devotion Begonia boliviensis 'Yadev.' I've attached a photo of its blooms and leaves.

Thanks for telling me the promix and turface work well with begonias! I was considering a more rocky media for the begonias I'm getting this spring. The non-begonia flowers I've potted so far are doing well in a half and half mix of perlite and pine bark. I've even been successful growing a magnolia transplant in 100% perlite.

DoGooder

Thumbnail by DoGooder
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Begonias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Here's my begonia collection flowerjunkie 106 Feb 10, 2009 2:27 PM
Tuberous Begonias? Woofens 25 Feb 29, 2008 8:05 PM
BEGONIA sticky links begoniacrazii 37 Jun 8, 2007 6:11 PM
Talking about polka dots................. Kell 35 Feb 16, 2008 8:31 PM
Begonia Dead? Wvdaisy 13 Apr 12, 2007 3:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America